Neve Campbell: Lifetime's Amish Murder Has 'Really Good Potential' to Become a Series

Get More: Pilots, Previews

Neve Campbell in An Amish MurderNeve Campbell is a long way from the Sallingers’ San Francisco home — and Grey’s Anatomy’s Seattle Grace Hospital, for that matter — in the Lifetime original movie An Amish Murder, premiering Sunday at 9/8c.

Based on the book Sworn to Silence, the telepic stars Campbell as Kate Burkholder, a woman who grew up Amish but left her Ohio community as a young girl after a series of brutal murders. Years later, Kate returns to her small town as the Chief of Police, where old wounds are opened when she is tasked with solving a new string of killings.

Campbell served as an executive producer on the project, alongside fellow multi-hyphenate Poppy Montgomery and Barbara Lieberman (Murder in the Hamptons). The cast meanwhile also includes Neve’s brother Christian Campbell (Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical), Noam Jenkins (Rookie Blue) and C. Thomas Howell (The Outsiders).

RELATED | Lifetime’s Revamped Army Wives Adds Torrey DeVitto, Ashanti as Series Regulars

Explaining what drew her to An Amish Murder — which if successful may act as a backdoor pilot to a Lifetime series — Campbell, says, “I think I’ve always been interested in the Amish lifestyle. It’s so foreign to how most of us live that it’s intriguing to most people, and I was definitely interested in learning more about them.”

Growing up in Canada, Campbell lived a few towns over from a Mennonite community, which shares several traits with the Amish. “I remember as a child being really intrigued and curious at the idea that they lived without electricity and live without cars…. How do they do that? But I was also fascinated by their faith, their community and their kindness. I remember them being really nice.”

Having been raised in an Amish community only to abruptly leave — and now return — Kate is described by Campbell as “a person who lives with one energy in one world and another in the other. I think that to live in such an innocent way, such a different way, and then be sort of flung into what we consider to be ‘normal’ society, would have been very shocking. So, there was a lot of stuff to play with the character.”

RELATED | Pilot Scoop: Ghost Whisperer‘s David Conrad Joins Lifetime’s The Secret Lives of Wives

After discussing the prospect with Lifetime, Campbell believes An Amish Murder “has really good potential” to in fact live on as a series, if handled the right way.

“It’s an interesting character [and] an interesting concept,” the actress acknowledges, “but I’ve definitely been talking to them about the fact that I want to know that there’s somewhere to go with it, that there’s enough there within this community and within this concept that we can tell years’ worth of stories.”

Comments (20)

• Interesting. But I hope she can make future guest appearances on Grey’s!

Comment by shuayb – January 5, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve enjoyed the Kate Burkholder series for years (which is by Linda Castillo, BTW) but I’m not sure how it’d be as a TV series. I think I’d prefer a TV movie for each book (of which there have only been 4, with a 5th due out this year). But, no matter what, as long as it’s well done I’ll probably watch it in any form!

Comment by Cruciatus – January 5, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I see it more as a series of movies, or at the most a miniseries with maybe a two or three episodes per book instead of just having a two-hour movie with dozens of commercial breaks. Anything longer might be too much. But I’d still watch it regardless because I love the books.

Comment by Kristen – January 5, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She should fire her agents, she’s better than Lifetime.

Comment by JTV – January 5, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ” Years later, Kate returns to her small town ”

God that sounds like Scream 4 (which is a good thing!!!). I’m a guy, but I’ll be watching this movie.

Comment by yankeesrj12 – January 5, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds cool. And it worked for The Client List, so why not this too.

Comment by mia – January 5, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, this is good enough to be a series of mainstream movies .(like The girl with dragon tattoo or Scream )

Comment by series_otaku – January 5, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I do think Neve Campbell is better than Lifetime movies..surprisingly Lifetime has had some pretty good series to date. Can’t wait for Client List to return and the premiere of Marc Cherry’s drama Devious Maids.

Comment by Jared – January 6, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Linda Castillo’s books. If sleepy Cabot Cove can have so many murders, I don’t see why there can’t be a series about Kate Burkholder. I’d watch it.

Comment by MelindaB – January 6, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • please show “an amish murder” again, i missed it or let me buy it

Comment by DELORES JOHNSON – January 19, 2013 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a blow to see C. Thomas Howell looking so old…I used to have a big crush on him in high school and he is still a handsome guy but he looks much older than his 46 or 47 years.

Comment by atb – January 7, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s due to a really signiifcant health issue from about 15 years ago.

Comment by Heidi – January 12, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched “Amish Murder” my husband and I both feel it would make a great series. Hope the powers that be see it that way to.

Comment by catherine Wallace – January 9, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this movie. I thought Neve did a great job with the character and made her very believable and likable. I was really moved by Kate’s relationship with her brother and her ex-fiance. Especially the ex-fiance…there was something still there between them but he is Amish and she is English. Super angst, right there. It is definitely a struggle I would tune in to see each week…especially if they threw in a murder mystery.

Comment by Amy – January 15, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would watch the series. I liked the movie

Comment by Rachel schemmel – January 17, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I look forward to seeing another in this series on TV

Comment by anonymous – January 23, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a really well done movie. Would be good to see more.

Comment by csr – January 27, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the scene where Tomasetti has a panic attack after searching through Detrick’s house, did anybody else notice a hand or something in the doorway behind him, toward the bottom right on the screen?

Comment by Hamburglar – March 3, 2013 01:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Movie. Great cast…C. Thomas Howell, (fav. Movie not kidding is The Outsiders) so needless to say..I’ve followed your whole career. Get well soon!!!! Neve Cambell….What a good performance once again. Glad to See you back.
    I’m totally all for seeing this movie made into a series.

Comment by KC's – August 27, 2013 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On the third book in the series right now and I can’t put them down. Really hoping they continue making each book into a movie.

Comment by Amanda – January 24, 2014 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post