Ratings: Chicago Fire Hits Highs, SVU Surges

Ratings: Chicago Fire Hits HighsFacing new, repurposed or just plain mediocre programming, NBC had a very good night this Wednesday — including new series highs for Chicago Fire.

The freshman firefighter drama, facing a CSI repeat and a Nashville catch-up special, drew 8.4 million total viewers and a 2.4 rating, rising 25 percent from its last fresh outing and topping all Wednesday programming in both measures. (And thin competition or not, that’s a nice amount of additional sampling/possible converts.)

Leading into ChiFi, Law & Order: SVU‘s belated Christmas episode did 7.75 mil and a 2.1, up more than 26 percent and hitting a 13-month high in the demo.

Opening the Peacock’s night, Whitney (5 mil/1.8) rose 33 and 29 percent, hitting its best demo since its year-ago Wednesday debut, while Guys With Kids (4.35 mil/1.7) saw gains of 21 percent.

Wednesday’s only other fresh-ish programming,a double-pump of Fox’s Mobbed, averaged under 3 million viewers and netted a 1.1, besting only CW repeats in each hour.

Want scoop on Chicago Fire or SVU, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. jamie says:

Of course they did ok in the ratings considering they were up against repeats everywhere else. That’s the only way SVU gets mediocre numbers like that. Chicago Fire would benefit from a better lead in than the decrepit SVU.

2. Heather says:

Chicago Fire was great!

3. sarah says:

So happy for Chicago Fire! Such a great show and great episode!

4. liz says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE CHICAGO FIRE!! Haven’t missed an episode and they have all been really, really good. Must have some great writers over there. LOVE the cast as well, especially JESSE SPENCER.

• Trent says:

Agreed — I’ve watched since the pilot, and CF is a really great show. The cast is uniformly terrific, and I’m completely sucked in by both the emergency rescues and the interpersonal drama. Still can’t believe that Cruz allowed that gang member to die, but I’m happy that his decision wasn’t just a one-episode plot. His struggle (and near-confession) was really moving last night.

Also, Peter Mills has got GAME. Go Pawson!

• wrstlgirl says:

Unfortunately “Pawson” is just a diversion. I believe Casey/Dawson are the true end game. Personally I could care less which way they go but this sure makes it interesting.

5. forwarddad says:

Good strategy by NBC. So sick of re-runs. Chicago Fire probably hit a group of viewers that hadn’t seen it. SVU is like comfort food.

6. wrstlgirl says:

So great to see so many Chicago Fire fans. The show is really very, very good and last night was darn near perfection. I look forward to it every week. I quit watching SVU when Meloni left but did tune in last night because Theo Rossi from Sons of Anarchy was a guest star.

7. Sg. Grant says:

Well, I guess I will watch the 11 episodes of Chicago Fire I have on my DVR.

8. So happy about Chicago Fire’s ratings! Last night’s episode was really good. Great way to come back after their short holiday hiatus.

9. wrstlgirl says:

I think there may only be one episode left this season. Does anyone know for sure?

10. meem says:

So why don’t all the networks look at these numbers and realize we WILL watch new episodes over the holidays? It’s WINTER, you morons–all we want to do is sit at home and watch TV. So give us something new to watch, and we’ll watch!

11. Bobby says:

I love that more people are checking out Chicago Fire. It’s one of the few new shows I’ve kept with this year (and ridiculously love) so to see it getting series highs this far down the season so far is great news!

12. Gerald says:

So happy Sevri is taking steps to control his addiction. He is heroic but hard to like him when he is addicted to drugs. He and Shay are great together as friends.
    I still like Casey with Dawson over Mills. Great show.

13. Sam says:

Chicago Fire is a great show! I hope this trend continues and NBC gives it a second season.

14. Manon Nadeau says:

fantastic show – best one of the new season as far as I’m concerned and only getting better. Love the entire cast- but have to say PeterMills is my fav. My wish for the new Year is that more people are going to tune in and see what they are missing.

15. ej says:

Love ChiFi. It’s the best new network drama of the season IMO. One episode might be more focused on one character’s life, but the rest all get good subplots that carry over and get the spotlight for an episode, which I think is great. Those critics back in the fall who said it was just “hot bodies” fighting fires were so wrong. All of the acting is great. I was sure I’d hate Lauren German’s character after cringing at her on Hawaii Five-O, but Shay is turning out to be one of my favorite characters. It just goes to show what a difference good casting and writing can make. Of course, the location shoots are also equally great. I can’t wait to see the plane crash episode that WGN thought was real. I have family in Chicago, and they all watch the show to see the sites and know it’s REAL and not Vancouver or a backlot, even if they complain that it sometimes ties up traffic in the city. If the back 9 are as good as the first half of the season, I really hope ChiFi continues to tie up traffic for a second season. Too many great shows that take the risk of not filming in Canada aren’t given a chance because of production costs.

16. Jon says:

I gave up on Nashville and switched to Chicago Fire. Don’t regret it one bit.

• Kelsey says:

I did the same thing, last night! I was looking through the guide while I had Nashville on, saw that Chicago Fire’s episode was actually NEW, and so I decided just to turn to it for a second. That second turned into watching the whole episode, and now I’m hooked! I bought all the other episodes on my Roku last night and have been getting caught up.

REALLY smart programing on the part of NBC. Glad they did it, or I might have missed this show.

17. Lauren says:

Yay! I’m glad more people tuned in, love this show.

18. Victoria says:

I am the biggest Chicago Fire fan!!!! The cast is amazing, the storylines both personal and professional are addictive, and the Chicago backdrop is a refreshing change from NYC. I pray that NBC doesn’t cancel the show. They always do that with great shows. I’m anxiously awaiting episode 13 and am so glad they were picked up for a full season!

19. Kristen says:

Wow! This may be the first article I’ve ever seen where everyone agrees and no one is bashing another person’s opinion!! Fantastic!

By the way, count me in as a HUGE fan of Chicago Fire!

20. Jim says:

Chicago Fire is the best show on TV for 2013. The writers of this show are excellent and the cast is superb! This show really pulls at the heartstrings.

21. Joyce Noonan says:

Love it and it’s getting more interesting w/ every episode. Please tell me Severide is not leaving the dept!

22. gogiant says:

Good show..why the 3 weeks off?