Horror Story Season 3: Ryan Murphy Teases 'Romeo & Juliet' Theme, Truly Haunted Location

Get More: News, Scoop

Taissa Farmiga, Evan Peters: American Horror StoryThough intel on American Horror Story‘s second season didn’t start trickling out until March of last year, already, here in early January, series boss Ryan Murphy is letting slip with some ideas about what he has planned for Season 3.

RELATED | Horror Story Renewed for Season 3, Jessica Lange to Return… But Who’ll She Play?

Whereas the first two Horror stories revolved around a fractured marriage and a malevolent insane asylum, “I sorta feel like for the third version I want to do something that’s a little bit more ‘evil glamour,’” Murphy told EW.com.

Along those lines, Murphy hopes to spin a tale about star-crossed sweethearts a la Season 1′s Violet and Tate (played by Taissa Farmiga and Evan Peters). “One of the things that I missed this season was I really loved having that Romeo & Juliet youth story,” he said. “I want something like that again, and we’re doing something like that in the third season.”

Murphy revealed nothing new about casting (Jessica Lange thus far is on board for a three-peat) nor did he spill on the setting for Season 3′s setting, only to say that versus once again basing the FX hit’s production out of L.A., “We’re contemplating shooting it in a place in the country where true horror has been. We’ve got lots of delicious plans.”

Horror enthusiasts, what’s your first read on “a place in the country where true horror has been”? Should the hotels in and around Salem, Mass. jack up their rates? Is my dream of a “summer camp” theme dashed? (Or is there a real Crystal Lake?!)

Comments (104)

• Ed Gein’s home?

Comment by aleksa – January 3, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely fantastic episode last night. This season can do no wrong. Is it too much to want everyone back for next season?

Comment by Kendal Walworth – January 3, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last night was my fav episode of the season so far!! It was awesome!!!

Comment by Rebecca – January 3, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really, really want them to bring back Denis O’Hare.

Comment by Nic – January 3, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love a season taking place in the country. Maybe a story revolving around a whole town instead of a house/asylum would be fun. And I wouldn’t mind seeing Taissa Farmiga again.

Can’t wait for season 3! No matter what they decide to do, I’ll be watching.

Comment by Mik – January 3, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a great idea. Some southern gothic would be awesome. And yes on it being a whole small town.

Comment by Olive – January 3, 2013 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jonestown?

Comment by Teag – January 3, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He also said there was a clue in last nights episode…I’m thinking is the song “I Put a Spell on You” since it was especially for Sister Jude (Jessica Lange the only confirmed returning cast member)…I’m thinking it is going to be set in south (slavery-where true horror happened)…with them either focusing on a coven of witches in a 1930s vaudeville theater because of the glamour horror he was taking about or just witches in present day (but either way it had to focus on witchcraft)…but just my theory

Comment by Billy – January 3, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that song was the clue too! I was thinking evil witches or voodoo in New Orleans would be amazing, witch doctors, something like that

Comment by Suzanne – January 3, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think New Orleans too. The song on the Juke box above “The Name Game” is “La Vie En Rose” by French singer Edith Piaf. It sounded like the Doc said “falita loco mania” or a french phrase when he put the gun to his head. The old record that Jessica Lang broke was French. The French Quarter is in New Orleans. Sister Mary Rose mentioned renouncing debauchery before becoming a “Saint”. The song at the bottom of the juke box is “On the South Side of Chicago” which includes “New Orleans was groovy” in the lyrics. VOODOO!

Comment by rick – January 3, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dr. Arden actually said, “finita la commedia.” It’s Italian and means “the comedy is finished.”

Comment by Michael Black (@michaelblack) – January 3, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • To be even more precise, it is an exact quotation of the final line of Leoncavallo’s opera “Pagliacci”.

Comment by B – January 20, 2013 02:21 AM PDT
        • I believe it is New Orleans as Ryan Murphy did say he contemplating

Comment by TvjunkE – January 3, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I believe it is New Orleans as Ryan Murphy did say he contemplating on shooting the next season at a place in the country where true horror as happened . So maybe he was referring to Hurricane Katrina . I.e. New Orleans

Comment by TvjunkE – January 3, 2013 02:19 PM PDT
        • Also it was mentioned that cremation was a pagan ritual… which could also be a hit towards witches?

Comment by Korby – January 4, 2013 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan Murphy has one hell of a cast. I wouldn’t mind everyone coming back for season 3 especially Jessica Lange..Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters. I would say that I would LOVE it if Ryan adds John Hensley to the cast(Matt from Nip/Tuck). He plays creepy very well and miss him on my TV.

Comment by Jared – January 3, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • John Hensley would be a great add. I hope they bring back a lot of the people from season 1 and 2. I really like Evan Peters too, I hope he comes back.

Comment by Mannie – January 4, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, I had my heart set on a ghost ship with sea monsters.

Comment by Ben – January 3, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that would be awesome

Comment by Brian – January 3, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope it’s about the Salem witch trials.

Comment by Adam – January 3, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure there will be a Desperate Housewives-actress in the cast of season 3.

Comment by AA – January 3, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What makes you say that?

Comment by TvjunkE – January 3, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Felicity Huffman, right?

Comment by Viv – January 3, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amityville ?

Comment by Rona Barret's wig – January 3, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are going to Vatican City. ROME!! That’s the right place for a Romeo & Juliet story… Kinda scary, too, that place.

Comment by Jardine Faner – January 3, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMERICAN Horror Story.

Comment by MrScreenAddict – January 3, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s call AMERICAN Horror Story, not Catholic Truths.

Comment by Anthony G. Newhall – January 3, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Romeo and Juliet takes place in Verona, Italy, which is most definitely not Rome / The Vatican. Rome is about as ‘scary’ as any other European city. You should visit.

Comment by B – January 20, 2013 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season’s been a bit of a hot mess. It’s good but I’m ready for it to be over. I like the “evil glamour” idea.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 3, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was starting to feel like the only person who felt the same way! Last night was great and no doubt the cast is fantastic, but a lot of scenes/episodes made my skin crawl, and not in a good way, so I’m ready for a fresh start.

Comment by Lauren – January 4, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone told me that Season 3 will take place in a demon Carnival. Sounds interesting.

Comment by Anthony G. Newhall – January 3, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Washington D.C. — Young Democrat (witch) falls for Young Republican (human) in the glamour (pick a decade).

Comment by KenBud – January 3, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I was the one writer on staff that had to pick a few locations to set 3 in I would pick:

1) Abandoned Amusement Park
    2) Haunted Hotel
    3) Set it in the west
    4) Why keep it so current? Let’s set it during American revolution or something
    5) Sunken Ship
    6) GLEE only make it a working school that is haunted but only a few know
    7) A graveyard
    8) A Silent Hill type.
    9) A Hospital
    10) How about go the Sci Fi route and make it on a space station.

Comment by Ezzy Klein – January 3, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When Pepper said “Us Freaks” i thought that maybe he would do like a carnivale thing or a circus freaks theme….

Comment by Andrino – January 4, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s gotta be the south. Dealing with star crossed lovers and race.

Hope they could pull it off

Comment by Mac – January 3, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Kate Mara!

Comment by PBYRD – January 3, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Kate Mara!!! Agree!!!

Comment by Rebecca – January 3, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As long as her character is nothing like Hayden then I would agree.

Comment by snarka – January 4, 2013 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My pick is Circus or Carnival….but I do like the sound of Salem and Witchcraft

Comment by Jump – January 3, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what i thought!

Comment by Andrino – January 4, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t care what happens as long as Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson have at least one scene where they chainsmoke and glare at everyone.

Comment by Viv – January 3, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Happy not to be the only person that loved their chainsmoking scenes in season one and season two!

Comment by Sue – January 11, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some people have posted some great ideas on here! Love them!! But, as long as Even Peters is back that is my biggest concern!!

Comment by Rebecca – January 3, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this season is any indication, next season will be even worse.

Last night’s episode jumped the shark.

Comment by Walkie – January 3, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really?! I am shocked to read that. Last night was by far and away my fav episode of the season. Why did you not care for it?

Comment by Rebecca – January 3, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as long as evan peters will be back.

Comment by A – January 3, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sarah Michelle Gellar would be amazing in American Horror Story!!! Marcia Cross too!

Comment by KristofferFromNorway – January 3, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love your idea of SMG on the show!! She would be a great fit!!

Comment by Rebecca – January 3, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ryan Murphy actually invited her last year.

Comment by snarka – January 4, 2013 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!!!!! Sarah Michelle gellar is amazing she would be epic in this!!!

Comment by Ieuan – January 3, 2013 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d like to see a reunion of JAmes MArsters and Juliette Landau!!!

Comment by Jason – January 4, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree,sarah michelle gellar woulb be great

Comment by DoulasF – January 17, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It has to be congress as shown on the record playing the name game song! What has been been more HORRIBLE (horror) than congress in this country. I think congress will set for a great setting but I would really love to see Salem as the setting with Evan and Taissa playing the leads!

Comment by Freddie – January 3, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooh I like the idea someone said of star-crossed lovers in the deep south, between different races. That would be great if they could make it work. I also love Salem Witch Trials idea.

Comment by Spencer – January 3, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is this the 1930s? Why is “race” new or interesting? I don’t mind an interracial relationship at all, but doing it for shock value in 2013 is ridiculous.

Comment by What?! – January 4, 2013 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus Interracial love was already done in this season! Kitt and Alma

Comment by Jam – January 4, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see the witch idea. Whatever they do though they need to bring Sarah Paulson back she’s awesome!

Comment by Katie – January 3, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally Agree!!!!!!

Comment by TvjunkE – January 4, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Francis Conroy

Comment by TvjunkE – January 4, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is gonna be set in a 1920-30 era traveling circus. Referenced a freak show last night. Great vehicle for lots of unique characters, colorful imagery, etc. . .

Comment by yeahyeahyeah – January 3, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wasn’t that already on HBO and called Carnivale? (great show BTW)

Comment by oldrockchick – January 5, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Carnivale was a great show that ended much too early.

Comment by Rob – January 9, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Or Congress (name of the name game band), some real horror has happened here.

Comment by yeahyeahyeah – January 3, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first inclination was a traveling sideshow in the 1930′s (like Browning’s 1932 “Freaks”) and I think that would be fantastic, but after reading the comments on here I’m leaning more towards the New Orleans / Voodoo theme. Either way, I can’t wait!

Comment by Wendy – January 3, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They already did that it was called Carnivale.

Comment by Jason – January 4, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the record label said congress-is this a hint that season 3 will have the evil of political leaders and power in it?

Comment by jimmy – January 3, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Orleans would be great, but so too would be Savannah, Georgia. Just has some unbelievable locations that are creepy as hell.

Comment by Meg – January 3, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roanoke! “Croatoan.” I know there’s probably a very reasonable explanation for what happened to the Roanoke Colony that is in no way horrific at all, but for some reason, the mystery of it all scares the pants off me. I actually forgot to look for the clue in last night’s episode…it may have been because I was incredibly distracted by the scene of Lily Rabe “taking advantage”, let’s say, of Joseph Fiennes’ priest character. God bless Ryan Murphy for playing out my Joseph Fiennes fantasy like that. I’m sorry, that was bad…but I mean…can you blame me? Look at the guy! He’s gorgeous! Anyhoo…I’m having trouble thinking of real-life American haunted places where bad things happened. I have a friend who would be much better at listing them off than me. He loves to tour haunted locations. I scare too easy when it comes to real-life horror, so I can’t even read about those places. But I do like the idea of Salem. Or maybe the Pacific Northwest, home of some of the most famous serial killers of women. The grey atmosphere could fit a horror show well.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 3, 2013 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the most horrific places could be Dallas since JFK was shot there. Either that or DC where horror occurs everyday in Congress.

Comment by JP – January 4, 2013 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stephen King’s house!

Comment by mm – January 4, 2013 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wisconsin would work well, we’ve had our share of nuts here. Lots of ‘true horror’.

Comment by Jeff Bohn – January 4, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Young Lovers? A scene that looked liked Bandstand?? True Horror??? Season 3 will take place in a SCHOOL!

Comment by Gary Sterling – January 4, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Horror Story: Bayou

Comment by TvjunkE – January 4, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they would go to New Orleans and do a Voodoo story!

Comment by josephinamontoya – January 4, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellis Island!

Comment by S R – January 6, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t care what it all will be about next season as long as Lange, Paulson, Peters, Rabe, and Quinto are back, Please please please.

Comment by Mark P – January 6, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. As long as they have strong actors/characters. (Lange, Paulson, Peters, Rabe, & Quinto)

Comment by Erika – January 6, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course Crystal Lake exist! #googlesearch

Comment by Alana – January 6, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOW ABOUT FINISHING THE FUKING STORY FOR THE FIRST SEASON!!!! WHAT ABOUT THE FRIGGIN ANTICHRIST COMEEEE ONNNN!!!

Comment by carola marola – January 8, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true!!!!!

Comment by Chantelle M – January 15, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guesses are 1.) New Orleans, voodoo, slavery and the south or 2.) Salem, Massachusetts & witchcraft “evil glamour”

Comment by Arika – January 10, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • glamour is such a french term it’s gotta be new orleans. it’s witch related too though…like in The Craft…where is Fairuza Balk?! Put her on this show.

Comment by Samantha Bursich – January 10, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that it takes place in some sort of congress in new orleans with voodoo and witch craft. =) I just love American Horror story! IDC where it is next season I’m sure it’ll be great!

Comment by hanser – January 10, 2013 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • witchcraft would be good.. Murphy mentioned the clues were in the name game and spilt milk… both episodes have shown fire, cremation, crematorium… so maybe the third season is related to fire and cemetery…the dead!

Comment by novelprince – January 11, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New York… September 11th.

Fashion industry.

Sarah Paulson said “I’m thinking of heading to New York.” My guess is that’s what Ryan Murphy is thinking too…

Comment by G Funk – January 11, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Ryan likes storylines with babies, Rosemary’s Baby was set in NYC. There are witches an magic everywhere in the country. One of the songs very briefly shown on the jukebox was called God Bless the Child or God Bless the Children, one of those. Real horror has certainly taken place there.

Comment by Sue – January 11, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have “lots of delicious plans” maybe it’s set in a restaurant?

Comment by Sue – January 11, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post