Horror Story Season 3: Ryan Murphy Teases 'Romeo & Juliet' Theme, Truly Haunted Location

Taissa Farmiga, Evan Peters: American Horror StoryThough intel on American Horror Story‘s second season didn’t start trickling out until March of last year, already, here in early January, series boss Ryan Murphy is letting slip with some ideas about what he has planned for Season 3.

RELATED | Horror Story Renewed for Season 3, Jessica Lange to Return… But Who’ll She Play?

Whereas the first two Horror stories revolved around a fractured marriage and a malevolent insane asylum, “I sorta feel like for the third version I want to do something that’s a little bit more ‘evil glamour,’” Murphy told EW.com.

Along those lines, Murphy hopes to spin a tale about star-crossed sweethearts a la Season 1′s Violet and Tate (played by Taissa Farmiga and Evan Peters). “One of the things that I missed this season was I really loved having that Romeo & Juliet youth story,” he said. “I want something like that again, and we’re doing something like that in the third season.”

Murphy revealed nothing new about casting (Jessica Lange thus far is on board for a three-peat) nor did he spill on the setting for Season 3′s setting, only to say that versus once again basing the FX hit’s production out of L.A., “We’re contemplating shooting it in a place in the country where true horror has been. We’ve got lots of delicious plans.”

Horror enthusiasts, what’s your first read on “a place in the country where true horror has been”? Should the hotels in and around Salem, Mass. jack up their rates? Is my dream of a “summer camp” theme dashed? (Or is there a real Crystal Lake?!)

1. aleksa says:

Ed Gein’s home?

2. Absolutely fantastic episode last night. This season can do no wrong. Is it too much to want everyone back for next season?

3. Nic says:

I really, really want them to bring back Denis O’Hare.

4. Mik says:

I would love a season taking place in the country. Maybe a story revolving around a whole town instead of a house/asylum would be fun. And I wouldn’t mind seeing Taissa Farmiga again.

Can’t wait for season 3! No matter what they decide to do, I’ll be watching.

5. Teag says:

Jonestown?

6. Billy says:

He also said there was a clue in last nights episode…I’m thinking is the song “I Put a Spell on You” since it was especially for Sister Jude (Jessica Lange the only confirmed returning cast member)…I’m thinking it is going to be set in south (slavery-where true horror happened)…with them either focusing on a coven of witches in a 1930s vaudeville theater because of the glamour horror he was taking about or just witches in present day (but either way it had to focus on witchcraft)…but just my theory

• Suzanne says:

I thought that song was the clue too! I was thinking evil witches or voodoo in New Orleans would be amazing, witch doctors, something like that

• rick says:

I think New Orleans too. The song on the Juke box above “The Name Game” is “La Vie En Rose” by French singer Edith Piaf. It sounded like the Doc said “falita loco mania” or a french phrase when he put the gun to his head. The old record that Jessica Lang broke was French. The French Quarter is in New Orleans. Sister Mary Rose mentioned renouncing debauchery before becoming a “Saint”. The song at the bottom of the juke box is “On the South Side of Chicago” which includes “New Orleans was groovy” in the lyrics. VOODOO!

7. Jared says:

Ryan Murphy has one hell of a cast. I wouldn’t mind everyone coming back for season 3 especially Jessica Lange..Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters. I would say that I would LOVE it if Ryan adds John Hensley to the cast(Matt from Nip/Tuck). He plays creepy very well and miss him on my TV.

• Mannie says:

John Hensley would be a great add. I hope they bring back a lot of the people from season 1 and 2. I really like Evan Peters too, I hope he comes back.

8. Ben says:

Damn, I had my heart set on a ghost ship with sea monsters.

9. Adam says:

I really hope it’s about the Salem witch trials.

10. AA says:

I’m pretty sure there will be a Desperate Housewives-actress in the cast of season 3.

11. Rona Barret's wig says:

Amityville ?

12. Jardine Faner says:

They are going to Vatican City. ROME!! That’s the right place for a Romeo & Juliet story… Kinda scary, too, that place.

13. wrstlgirl says:

This season’s been a bit of a hot mess. It’s good but I’m ready for it to be over. I like the “evil glamour” idea.

• Lauren says:

I was starting to feel like the only person who felt the same way! Last night was great and no doubt the cast is fantastic, but a lot of scenes/episodes made my skin crawl, and not in a good way, so I’m ready for a fresh start.

14. Someone told me that Season 3 will take place in a demon Carnival. Sounds interesting.

15. KenBud says:

Washington D.C. — Young Democrat (witch) falls for Young Republican (human) in the glamour (pick a decade).

16. Ezzy Klein says:

If I was the one writer on staff that had to pick a few locations to set 3 in I would pick:

1) Abandoned Amusement Park
    2) Haunted Hotel
    3) Set it in the west
    4) Why keep it so current? Let’s set it during American revolution or something
    5) Sunken Ship
    6) GLEE only make it a working school that is haunted but only a few know
    7) A graveyard
    8) A Silent Hill type.
    9) A Hospital
    10) How about go the Sci Fi route and make it on a space station.

• Andrino says:

When Pepper said “Us Freaks” i thought that maybe he would do like a carnivale thing or a circus freaks theme….

17. Mac says:

It’s gotta be the south. Dealing with star crossed lovers and race.

Hope they could pull it off

18. PBYRD says:

Bring back Kate Mara!

19. Jump says:

My pick is Circus or Carnival….but I do like the sound of Salem and Witchcraft

20. Viv says:

I really don’t care what happens as long as Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson have at least one scene where they chainsmoke and glare at everyone.

21. Rebecca says:

Some people have posted some great ideas on here! Love them!! But, as long as Even Peters is back that is my biggest concern!!

22. Walkie says:

If this season is any indication, next season will be even worse.

Last night’s episode jumped the shark.

• Rebecca says:

Really?! I am shocked to read that. Last night was by far and away my fav episode of the season. Why did you not care for it?

23. A says:

as long as evan peters will be back.

24. KristofferFromNorway says:

Sarah Michelle Gellar would be amazing in American Horror Story!!! Marcia Cross too!

25. Freddie says:

It has to be congress as shown on the record playing the name game song! What has been been more HORRIBLE (horror) than congress in this country. I think congress will set for a great setting but I would really love to see Salem as the setting with Evan and Taissa playing the leads!

26. Spencer says:

Ooh I like the idea someone said of star-crossed lovers in the deep south, between different races. That would be great if they could make it work. I also love Salem Witch Trials idea.

27. Katie says:

I would love to see the witch idea. Whatever they do though they need to bring Sarah Paulson back she’s awesome!

28. yeahyeahyeah says:

I think it is gonna be set in a 1920-30 era traveling circus. Referenced a freak show last night. Great vehicle for lots of unique characters, colorful imagery, etc. . .

29. yeahyeahyeah says:

Or Congress (name of the name game band), some real horror has happened here.

30. Wendy says:

My first inclination was a traveling sideshow in the 1930′s (like Browning’s 1932 “Freaks”) and I think that would be fantastic, but after reading the comments on here I’m leaning more towards the New Orleans / Voodoo theme. Either way, I can’t wait!

31. jimmy says:

the record label said congress-is this a hint that season 3 will have the evil of political leaders and power in it?

32. Meg says:

New Orleans would be great, but so too would be Savannah, Georgia. Just has some unbelievable locations that are creepy as hell.

33. Britta Unfiltered says:

Roanoke! “Croatoan.” I know there’s probably a very reasonable explanation for what happened to the Roanoke Colony that is in no way horrific at all, but for some reason, the mystery of it all scares the pants off me. I actually forgot to look for the clue in last night’s episode…it may have been because I was incredibly distracted by the scene of Lily Rabe “taking advantage”, let’s say, of Joseph Fiennes’ priest character. God bless Ryan Murphy for playing out my Joseph Fiennes fantasy like that. I’m sorry, that was bad…but I mean…can you blame me? Look at the guy! He’s gorgeous! Anyhoo…I’m having trouble thinking of real-life American haunted places where bad things happened. I have a friend who would be much better at listing them off than me. He loves to tour haunted locations. I scare too easy when it comes to real-life horror, so I can’t even read about those places. But I do like the idea of Salem. Or maybe the Pacific Northwest, home of some of the most famous serial killers of women. The grey atmosphere could fit a horror show well.

34. JP says:

One of the most horrific places could be Dallas since JFK was shot there. Either that or DC where horror occurs everyday in Congress.

35. mm says:

Stephen King’s house!

36. Jeff Bohn says:

Wisconsin would work well, we’ve had our share of nuts here. Lots of ‘true horror’.

37. Gary Sterling says:

Young Lovers? A scene that looked liked Bandstand?? True Horror??? Season 3 will take place in a SCHOOL!

38. TvjunkE says:

American Horror Story: Bayou

39. I wish they would go to New Orleans and do a Voodoo story!

40. S R says:

Ellis Island!

41. Mark P says:

Don’t care what it all will be about next season as long as Lange, Paulson, Peters, Rabe, and Quinto are back, Please please please.

42. Alana says:

Of course Crystal Lake exist! #googlesearch

43. HOW ABOUT FINISHING THE FUKING STORY FOR THE FIRST SEASON!!!! WHAT ABOUT THE FRIGGIN ANTICHRIST COMEEEE ONNNN!!!

44. Arika says:

My guesses are 1.) New Orleans, voodoo, slavery and the south or 2.) Salem, Massachusetts & witchcraft “evil glamour”

45. glamour is such a french term it’s gotta be new orleans. it’s witch related too though…like in The Craft…where is Fairuza Balk?! Put her on this show.

46. hanser says:

I think that it takes place in some sort of congress in new orleans with voodoo and witch craft. =) I just love American Horror story! IDC where it is next season I’m sure it’ll be great!

47. novelprince says:

witchcraft would be good.. Murphy mentioned the clues were in the name game and spilt milk… both episodes have shown fire, cremation, crematorium… so maybe the third season is related to fire and cemetery…the dead!

48. G Funk says:

New York… September 11th.

Fashion industry.

Sarah Paulson said “I’m thinking of heading to New York.” My guess is that’s what Ryan Murphy is thinking too…

• Sue says:

I agree. Ryan likes storylines with babies, Rosemary’s Baby was set in NYC. There are witches an magic everywhere in the country. One of the songs very briefly shown on the jukebox was called God Bless the Child or God Bless the Children, one of those. Real horror has certainly taken place there.

49. Sue says:

They have “lots of delicious plans” maybe it’s set in a restaurant?

50. Louisa says: