What to Watch: 5 Web Series Worth Checking Out

lizzie bennettNew web series My Last Days shines the light on wisdom that comes from a life-changing diagnosis, Shannon Coffey‘s brand of weirdness perfectly aligns with our brand of humor, and it turns out there’s poop on the moon. Plus… Wait. For. It. We review The Lizzie Bennet Diaries!

My Last Days | It’s rare that a web series has us feeling all warm and fuzzy, but SoulPancake’s heartbreakingly beautiful My Last Days achieves this in spades. Each episode focuses on one person (and his or her family) who has been diagnosed with a terminal disease, and the experience of hearing these stories is enough to make you reevaluate whether or not you’re living your own life to the fullest. Grab some tissues and prepare to be wowed.

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries | Alright, already! We heard your pleas and while we may have been late to the party, we’re certainly glad we arrived. And we may never leave. TLBD (pictured) is an modernized adaptation of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Lizzie (Ashley Clements) is the twentysomething middle sister who’s in grad school studying communication. In the latest episode, Lizzie worries about her youngest sister Lydia going out into the world, then comes up with a winning New Year’s resolution. The addictive series is surprisingly engrossing, given most of the action is shot via a stationary web cam.

Coffey Chat | Just in time for winter, Shannon Coffey teaches us how to embrace those gray days by gloomer-izing your face. “Helpful” tips include how to apply mascara to your upper lip hairs and why there is absolutely no place for blush in the winter.

Smarter Every Day | This webisode of our new favorite educational series offers interesting scientific facts through cool visual experiments. Learn about a still-working experiment on the moon that involves corner reflectors, then head on over to MinutePhysics to find out what types of things astronauts left on Earth’s natural satellite many moons ago.

MinutePhysics | What’s not to like about easy-to-understand, mind-blowing science videos? In this crossover episode with Smarter Every Day, learn how astronauts went to the bathroom in space and why they left poop, among other things, on the moon.

What are your faves from the Web these days? Comment away below, and feel free to offer your own recommendations!

GET MORE: Lists, Web Series, What to Watch

1. mia says:

Lizzie Bennet is AMAZING!!!! I freakin love it. Its so creative and so well presented; I cannot stop watching.

2. ChilltownTV says:

I recommend my show, Chilltown. It’s a scathing, wild, hip-hop cartoon comedy and stars comedians from Chappelle’s and the Patrice O’Neal show. Original music by DJ Wally Pish Posh (Alicia Keys, Basketball Wives Theme, Black Star.) It recently launched and we’re just at the beginning of Season 1 and we’re already starting to get some underground buzz. We’re super-indie guys so appreciate any and all support! Thanks. ChilltownTV.com

3. jalahyacinth says:

Um… Is it just me or did MyMusic tell everyone to come grump over here? I’ve never even heard of it but there seem to be an awful lot of people having tissy-fits about it…

4. Babybop says:

I love The Guild. Got really into it when they put it on Netflix. Recently I started watching the “react” videos. Like “Elders react to Gangnam Style”. It’s hilarious!

5. alison says:

dear MyMusic Spammers – i hope i speak for many regs when i promise to NEVER EVER give the series even a look. A few genuine pitches and we would have at least checked it out but this was incredibly obnoxious and reflects on the people behind the show.

6. Jason says:

A little older but, Dorm Life, check it out if you never have.

7. Em says:

I just marathoned all 75 episodes of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. LOVE IT!!!! Thank you for introducing it to me

8. Shannon says:

NPH, Henson Alternative and The Nerdist have just started putting out ‘Neil’s Puppet Dreams.’ It has only aired 4 episodes, as well as a behind the scenes ‘special.’
    It isn’t for everyone, especially not children, but it is fun and clever and I would recommend if you are a fan of NPH or Henson.

9. Naomi says:

Dont know if this counts or not because it’s a clip show, but Sanity Not Included should be mentioned on one of these lists at some point. It’s a comedy show you don’t have to be high brow and cultured to watch, you just sit, watch, and giggle. Oh, and again, not sure if it counts, because it’s a review show, but damn it i’m mentioning it: Rantasmo, it’s an amazing podcast show about pop culture and gay life in the past and present. It’s very witty, very smart, and never fails to bring up proper issues without getting too preachy or up itself xx

10. Alex says:

LMAO at the MyMusic troll! So obvious that it’s one obsessed person (possibly associated with the production) who is pretending to be multiple fans. Such trollery simply indicates to me that this MyMusic thing must be a real stinker if the troll is that desperate to drum up viewers.

11. Reward says:

I suggest to watch “Freaks” ;)

12. How about “The Uploaders”, not for everyone because it’s sooo vulgar but it’s pretty darn funny.

13. Stacey S says:

I just saw this. I really like the Lizzie Bennet diaries too, but I’m happy to see Chilltown listed in the comments. I recommend Chilltown also. A friend told me about this show and I am hooked! It is SO FUNNY. It’s like a hip-hop Seinfeld or something you’d see on Adult Swim!

14. where the bears are

won web series of the year from queerty and neck/neck with lizzie bennet so much on afterelton they declared both the winner.