Mob Doctor Boss Gives Bones Fans a New Year's Eve Treat, Teases 'Unbelievable' Finale

Get More: Finales, Previews, Scoop

MobDoctor_Bones_300As Fox’s The Mob Doctor unspools its final four episodes, series cocreator Josh Berman is prescribing a special treat for fans of Bones (where he previously served as a writer/producer): a New Year’s Eve Easter egg hunt.

RELATED | Fox Sets Mob Doctor End Date, Pushes Touch Season 2 Back Another Week

Mob Doctor resumes its 13-episode run tonight at 9/8c. Then, on Monday at 9, eagle-eyed Bones enthusiasts will be charged with seeking out clues in Episode 11, titled “Sibling Rivalry.”

Explaining the genesis of the sorta-kinda crossover episode, Berman reminds TVLine that Bones executive producers Hart Hanson and Stephen Nathan “are two of my closest friends, and I miss working on the show. So I thought it would be nice to reward Bones fans with secret clues in the episode.”

PHOTOS | Bones and Booth Go Dancing With… a Hidden Agenda

Even if you’ve never made an appointment with his Mob Doctor, “If you’re a Bones fan, don’t miss this episode,” Berman says. “The ‘eggs’ are everywhere” and can be found, for example, in a guard dog’s moniker, or the name of a patient. “But some are trickier and require a bit of thought,” Berman warns. “It should be a fun treat for Bones fans.”

If you decide to scrub in for this New Year’s Eve folly and have a Twitter account, “The first person on the East and West Coast to tweet me (@bermanjosh) all the hidden Bones Easter eggs will get a prize,” Berman says.

RELATED | Bones Video: Are Cam and Arastoo Doomed?

Besides the embedded Bones bits, Berman says that Monday’s episode is also “jam-packed with story,” as Grace (played by Jordana Spiro) learns that ex-boyfriend Brett (Zach Gilford) is estranged from his brother, who has entered the ER under mysterious circumstances. Meanwhile, Grace’s own brother, Nate, kidnaps a racehorse in a harebrained scheme to make a quick buck. Lastly, in a nod to the holiday, Berman says, “Constantine and Celeste LaPree receive a bomb — in the form of a champagne bottle.”

Grace’s latest ethical conundrum, meanwhile, finds her needing to “borrow” from the hospital’s med vault, and though she tries to stand up to Constantine, “her efforts aren’t yet successful,” Berman previews. “However, her moves are all adding up to the shocking finale, which airs on January 7th.” (The series’ penultimate hour airs Saturday, Jan. 5.)

Elaborating further on the freshman drama’s 13th and final episode, Berman promises that viewers “will get a real sense of closure as Grace finally stands up to Constantine.” What’s more, “Secrets will be revealed. Alliances will be tested. And the last five minutes are unbelievable,” he teases. “I’m excited for the fans to see it.”

Want more scoop on Bones or The Mob Doctor, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (43)

• Don’t watch Mob Doctor…but I’ll be watching this one

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – December 29, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I enjoyed Mob Doctor and will miss it. I DVR’d all the episodes and liked it from episode 1 on. I grew up in Chicago and recognize many of the locations. They could drop some of the low brow reality shows and develop more shows that get people to think. That would be better for all of us viewers.

Comment by Larry L – January 23, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I also enjoyed every episode of mob doctor. I also liked the location where it was filmed. I thought William forsythe played an excellent crime boss.thats the first time I heard of the doctor being the daughter of a crime boss. I really liked the show and I wish they would bring it back for another season.

Comment by edward j. burdyl, sr. – May 21, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Naw, it’s not worth it to suffer through watching the Mob Doctor.

Comment by Linda – December 29, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones Bones Bones!!!

Comment by Patricia – December 29, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish Bones would die already. Not gonna add to my suffering by watching Mob Doctor.

Comment by sadface – December 29, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you don’t care about both shows, then why the heck are you even here?

Comment by Betsy – December 29, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with the above poster, why on earth are you here. Guess someone wanted to troll….

Ugh I wish they’d STOP using Bones to pimp/prop other failed shows. First it was the Finder and now the soon to be cancelled MOB Doctor

Comment by Angela – December 30, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well the Finder was Bones’s spin-off so the promotion was legit, and it’s not like MD is getting renewed or expanded. Its fate was sealed after 2 episodes but they didn’t have anything to replace it with and now its slot will be taken by The Following.

Comment by Hannah – December 30, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, The Finder wasn’t a spinoff of Bones. They just used Bones to introduce The Finder. There were a few painful episodes of The Finder to watch, but I enjoyed it on the whole, overall. They are giving shows less and less time to find their audience, a response to a fickle society.

Comment by Nancy – January 2, 2013 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mob Doc is actually pretty good. Better than half this reality bullsh*t.

Comment by Scott – December 29, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only watch Bones periodically, but even if I were a regular viewer, nothing would be worth tuning in to “Mob Doctor.” That ship sailed with me twenty minutes into the pilot.

Comment by Emgee – December 29, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And we care why???

Comment by Phillip – December 30, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Probably because you have nothing to relate to in the series…just saying. Go watch your silly Vampire Diaries and the American Pie Hole and leave the shows that make you think to the people who can actually comprehend them or relate.

Comment by JJ – December 29, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wtf show is American Pie Hole supposed to be mocking…?

Comment by B – December 29, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • American Idol?

Comment by I think? Maybe? – December 30, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mob Doctor is an engaging show. Sorry to see it end. Characters, acting, writing, all great. The storyline is intriguing.

Comment by Bobbie – December 29, 2012 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I think TV is has become more tuned for teenage and 20 somethings. If they don’t have a rail thin, barely can act actress (i.e. half the cast of TVD) they don’t do so well. People say they watch the pilot and it didn’t do anything for them so they dropped it. I cannot tell you how many shows I watched and didn’t like the pilot, but continued because I realize that the cast is just getting their footing and getting to know each other. For example, Scandal…I wasn’t thrilled with the pilot, but now, I love the show and cannot wait for it to come back. I just wish that we could get away from tv shows that barely have a story line, don’t stimulate your imagination. We also need to cut half of the reality shows, seriously enough already.

Comment by Amanda – December 30, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I dont like bashing Bones, because I used to be a big fan, but it really jumped the shark a long time ago for me. Specifically, I gave up when they revealed Booth had gotten Bones pregnant without even a hint of any romantic entanglement to that point, and thereby also spoiling the payoff we had all be waiting on for like what, 6 years. Boo, I say. Granted, Rickety Cricket had a little to do with that situation, LOL. At this point, despite the naysayers, the storywriting and acting on Mob Doctor, even in its infant stages is far superior to the constant retreads on Bones, IMHO.

Ahh well, MD is cancelled whilst Bones sludges on, so its not like my opinion counts all that much.

Comment by Pat D. – December 31, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are absolutely correct in everything you said. The whole pregnancy of Bones was disheartening to say the least and I am getting tired of the unmarried, let’s have a baby and live together junk that seems to be everywhere anymore. Bones got boring and it used to be my favorite show, not any more, I stopped watching it a few months ago. I like the Mob Doctor, liked the cast and thought it had great potential. Have no idea whether it was the timeslot it was on, or what….but they cancel decent exciting shows and keep the trashy reality shows on. I just tune it all out and watch “A&E” now…

Comment by Diane – January 6, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I just discovered it over the weekend and have 6 episodes in now. I really like it. A nice mix of everything and good characters etc. I wish they wouldn’t cancel it. Give it a chance. :)

Comment by Kim R – December 31, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love The Mob Doctor. I hope it comes back again.

Comment by Anonymous – December 30, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am regular FOX monday night viewer and I enjoy both shows those who didnt like mob doctor only got as far as the 1st episode but I have watched every single episode and truly love the show, it’s a hit in my book and I am sorryto see it leave…get us hooked on Grace and Constatine then leave us hanging,,,hopefully it will appear on another broadcasting station

Comment by carol smith – January 7, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love “The Mob Doctor,” and am very sorry to see it end. But I will have to admit it took several episodes to really get into it. I wish people would give new shows more of a chance.

Comment by MaryAnn – December 30, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the mob doctor I can’t believe it’s done after 13 shows shame on you fox

Comment by Larry Moore – December 31, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mob doctor is actually a really good show! It has a great story line for those how love crime and medicine! Which is not much different then Bones!

Comment by Kandy – December 31, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love boooonnnnesss!!!! is the best serie ever….. <3<3<3

Comment by maeva – December 31, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very dissappointed to learn that Fox cancelled Mob Doctor, which was a clever and engaging show. I enjoyed the show and loved the characters: Franco, Constatine and Grace, flawed/wounded characters, all with redeeming qualities.

I don’t watch much television–the last show that I religiously watched was The Killing on AMC. I will miss Mob Doctor as much as I missed it.

As for the cancellation of Mob Doctor: It is not about the show at all. It is a solid show worth saving. If FOX wanted to do so, it could change the date/time it airs as it is merely a programing issue. The question is does it want to. The answer appears to be an emphatic NO, which is too bad as it will no doubt be replaced by something I not worth watching.

As for Touch: I do not care when it airs as I will not be watching it.

Comment by Sandra – December 31, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Mob Doctor, what an awful decision to let it go! I think it’s as good as the Saprano’s, just a shame! I know it’s all about money and ratings but can’t something be done Fox :) It was up against the Voice and the X-Factor in my town. The X-Factor was boring but I guess this and Snoki is entertainment these days. I happy they are running the final episodes, love the drama and how they make things look real, like Grace pulling out the bullet in her knee, I was in pain watching that! The show will be missed here in Boston!

Comment by mary – December 31, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t a huge fan of Mob Doctor at first, but the more the show goes, the better it gets. Perhaps TNT will pick it up. I think it’d be worth it.

As far as Bones goes, I’ve always been a fan and always will be. Keep up the good work!

Comment by Rachel – December 31, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones used to be awesome! But now nothing pulls me to the show…I think the show had its happy ending already..Booth and Brennan married, with a daughter. Their conflicting relationship as co-workers was what kept me watching. Now that they’re together, its blah..

Comment by Kyle – January 1, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOX needs do reconsider keeping Mob Soc on air. Storyline is great. And has only gotten better the concept is great With so much direction to go!!!!

Comment by Erin F – January 2, 2013 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Like bones. I Loved Mob Doc. It Always Seems They Cancel The Shows I like.

Comment by kim – January 3, 2013 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Like Bones & Mob Doc. It figures

Comment by kim – January 3, 2013 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think i’s a shame that they are canceling Mob Doctor. I really LOVED the show! I’m glued to the TV everytime it’s on! So Sad :(

Comment by Tina – January 3, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so upset over cancellation of mob doctor..is there any chance it will be picked up somewhere else?.the storyline is great.very different…the actors are terrific.anything forsythe is in ill be watching.hes a true gangster character.no one matches his voice and demeanor..i will not watch the following.ill watch the news instead.please someone rescue mob doctor.

Comment by carol – January 5, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked the mob doctor. I’m sad to see it go. I thought it was a good mix of sopranos meets ER with House type patients which was very intriguing and entertaining. Like others have posted, the pilot doesn’t grab you but neither did the pilot for sex and the city and in the end I loved that show. I didn’t quite get the pilot for Game of Thrones but now I can’t stop watching. I wish people would have given mob doc a chance.

Comment by Griselda Olivarez – January 7, 2013 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still don’t understand how The Mob Doctor made it this far. I didn’t think it would make it past episode 3.

Comment by Bob – January 7, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably because Fox didn’t have anything it could put in its place. With LoneStar, they could shuffle some shows around and bring a show out of hiatus early, which is why they could pull it after a handful of episodes.

Comment by Don – January 8, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We have enjoyed the mob doctor. I think if it had been on FX instead of Fox, they could have made it more gritty.

Comment by mari johnson – January 7, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, after watching the finale it is clear that the show won’t come back. First I was intrigued with the show, then bored, then I learned to like it again. Kinda sad to see it go, but at least it had a knockout ending….

Comment by Kris – January 8, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The last five minutes are unbelievable” to be sure. A “knockout ending”? That was the most ridiculous ending since the Sopranos series finale. No wonder that series sleeps with the fishes if that’s the best they can come up with.

Comment by Eric – January 11, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to see Mob Doctor go, I Iiked it. I turned a couple of people on to it only to find out its cancelled. I havent been this mad since Fastlane, oh well, I guess I’ll have to get the book.

Comment by nedz – January 29, 2013 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post