Saturday Night Live Poll: Who Are This Season's MVPs Thus Far?

As you watch Saturday Night Live this season, which cast members seem to be having the last and first laughs, plus several in between?

With Season 38 of the late-night series almost at the halfway point (Hunger Games hottie Jennifer Lawrence hosts next, on Jan. 19), we thought it time to check in on who you deem to be the current MVPs.

Is this The Year of Jason Sudeikis? Is Bill Hader infallible at showing the funny? Or are newbies stealing the show? Read our assessment of each player, then vote for your TOP 3 MVPs in the poll below.

Comments (52)

• For me, it’s definitely Hader, Killam, and McKinnon.
    And when did Taran Killam become the master of funny faces? He consistently cracks me up without saying a word. First Mokiki, then the sociopath McDonald’s worker, and last week his amazing Michael Keaton face! Hilarious.

Comment by DL – December 28, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Taran Killam’s faces are brilliant. Just so perfectly creepy, while still being hilarious. The ones you mentioned are forever etched in my memory. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing!

Comment by Crittab – December 28, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget his creepy and poorly lip-synced animatronic that tries to kill you!

Comment by lol – December 28, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This has been Taran’s year IMO. The hypnotist bit with JGL was awesome!

Comment by Amanda – December 29, 2012 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we’re ultimately going to see Tim Robinson fall out of the roster (unless Sudeikis’ departure opens up the “straight man” slot for him), while McKinnon steps up more and more and Cecily Strong continues to stand out as the most promising of the newbies, eventually eclipsing McKinnon. Meanwhile, Hader will shoulder more and more of the show’s weight while Killam quickly becomes the other “star”. Armisen will linger for paychecks a couple more seasons, producing nothing necessarily exciting.

Comment by John – December 28, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most under-used : Nasim Pedrad. Very talented.

Comment by Alienate – December 28, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been loving Cecily Strong, I think she is fantastic and the best new addition to the show. The other newcomers are really not that interesting to me, Tim Robinson has had his moments though. Anyway what I’m trying to say is I’d love to start a conversation with The Girl You Wished You Hadn’t Started a Conversation With At a Party.

Comment by RobMF – December 28, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nasim Pedrad, definitely. Although Nasim has been criminally underused this season, Nasim has managed to have a variety of funny roles. The first date sketch, the real estate sketch, the Tech Talk sketch, the Chris Christie interpreter, Ariana Huffington, Lil Blaster, and Homeland sketches were all hilarious. I really hope they start using Nasim Pedrad more often!

Comment by Carol – December 28, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Nasim’s Ariana Huffington as much as the next person, but she’s been more absent this year than her previous 4. I agree that she’s criminally underused, but to say she’s the 1/2 season MVP is blind

Comment by Do It To It, Lars! – December 28, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can women vote?

Comment by randomguyyoudontknow – December 28, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta go Hader. Is there a bad sketch he CAN’T make humorous?

Comment by Do It To It, Lars! – December 28, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more!

Comment by Princess Adora – December 28, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I worry that J-Pop America Fun Time Now‎ will be the next SNL movie.

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 28, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And I hope it’s an R-rated faux-documentary of NYC club life that follows Stephon.

Comment by John – December 28, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taran Killam hands down. Evidence? The crazy joyride sketch with Bruno Mars and Brad Pitt.
    Cecily Strong’s Girl you wish you hadn’t started a converdatin at a party is a close second.

Comment by jari – December 28, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t see McKinnon’s appeal, but I’m a terrible person who has a hard time even looking at her because her eyes look really weird to me. I’ve found Cecily Strong to be the more talented of the two anyhow.

Bill Hader and Sudeikis are still pretty solid, thought hot damn is Killam awesome.

Comment by Uncle Ralph – December 28, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with this guy. I do NOT see the appeal to Kate McKinnon at all. She might be funny on something else when you aren’t expecting so much, but all I ever get is the same Russian/Ukrainian/Slavic voice over and over and over. I think she is totally a one-trick pony, and the trick sucks.

Comment by AlsyBalsy – October 14, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bill Hader is great. Did a terrific job hosting JFL in Montreal. I think Jay Pharoah has a great SNL future in store.

Comment by GeezerDave – December 28, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Drunk Girl…” is a fine addition to Weekend Update!

Comment by GeezerDave – December 28, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate McKinnon, she and Killam are the only two that make me laugh anymore, don’t understand all the love for Hader, he is good but breaks character far too often.

Comment by Mike – December 28, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t understand the love for Killam. He’s awful. Not funny and rather unpleasant to look at when he attempts some sort of comedy with his face. So bad. Hader on the other hand, is genius.

Comment by tripoli – December 28, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Opinions, we all have them.

Comment by Mike – December 28, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hader breaks character (at least with Stefon) because they change around the script on the cue cards at the last minute. He’s reading the jokes for the first time when he’s performing the scene. I know I wouldn’t be able to get through Stefon’s insane monologues without cracking up.

Comment by Anna – December 29, 2012 03:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He breaks character because the writers change the script before the broadcast, deliberately trying to crack him up. The reasons he breaks is because he’s reading the lines for the first time on air.

Comment by Sean Holshouser – May 7, 2013 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oops! I meant “The Girl at the Party you wish you hadn’t started a conversation with”

Comment by GeezerDave – December 28, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taran Killam is always my favourite in every sketch he participates in, along with Bill Hader, Kate McKinnon and Jason Sudeikis. The four of them have more range and laughs-per-minute than the rest of the cast combined, and they always go the extra mile to make the absurdly mediocre SNL skits something to laugh at. They find the humour in unfunny skits, while most of the remaining cast members seem content to let sucky material suck.

Comment by Crittab – December 28, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • too bad we don’t get to see Seth Meyers more, can’t he be like Jimmy Fallon was? in the sketches AND Weekend update?

Comment by sarasetif – December 28, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kenan can break me up just by staring straight-faced at everyone else. He makes every skit he’s in funnier.

Comment by RockGolf – December 28, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey – I love The Californians!

Comment by Shari – December 28, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • people are still into jason sudeikis? he’s so blah outside of his political impressions. tarn killam and kate mckinnon for sure, cecily strong a close runner up. i wish nasim pedrad and vanessa bayer were used more! they started the season strong taking over kristen wiig’s duties, but then slowly receded back into the “occasional players gang.”

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 28, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sorry, as a Californian, I find the Californians hilarious. My friends and I quote those sketches and rewatch them more than any other from the recent seasons. I dont know why you dont like them- it must be a east coast thing.

Comment by A – December 28, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m from Califronia too and my firends and i do the samething. There’s so much hate on the message boards for that skit but I love it.

Comment by Olive – December 30, 2012 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SNL is a shell of it’s former self…in other words, it sucks.

Comment by John – December 28, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gripping commentary. Especially since it’s the same thing that somebody’s been spouting since Gilda Radner and Garrett Morris left the show.

Comment by Max – December 29, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hader, Killam and MacKinnon. Easily.

Comment by Eric – December 28, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I personally had to rank these wonderful people (SNL is NOT a shell of its former self, it’s a venerable institution that basically creates what television comedy will be generation after generation so people should just shut up about it “not being what it used to be” or whatever) I’d say

1. Bill Hader
    10. Cecily Strong
    11. Kenan Thompson
    12. Vanessa Bayer
    13. Taran Killam
    14. Tim Robinson

Comment by Sean D – December 28, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SNL isn’t what it used to be. ;)

Comment by Sam – December 29, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love love love Taran Killam. His Andy Cohen and (older non-televised) Robyn impression have kept me laughing through most of 2012.

Dare I suggest that Seth Meyers deserves to go more than any individual performer?

Comment by LK (@slow369) – December 28, 2012 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kenan Thompson only 2% ? What up whit that?

Comment by Sam – December 29, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dunno about you, but I’m pretty tired of him. Not as much as Fred or Bobby, but how many times can we watch What Up With That and what’s his name make prison rape puns?

Comment by TigerNightmare – December 29, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate McKinnon, definitely. Cecily Strong is a solid 2nd. Killam takes 3rd place for me. Armisen and Thompson need to retire and I wish Pharaoh would just leave as well, he’s just not funny. Hader was my favorite up until two seasons ago, now he just breaks character way too often.

Comment by SJ – December 29, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t speak for others but to me Jay Pharoah isn’t funny in anything.

Comment by Isak – December 29, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the new girls their so funny and talented! I stoped watching after poehler left bt am reallying loving the new girls their the only reason am watching again!

Comment by vane – December 29, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

11. Nasim Pedrad
    12 Fred Armisen
    13. Kenan Thompson
    14. Tim Robinson

Comment by Max – December 29, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My ranks from Most-to-Least Important:

1. Bill Hader (I love Bill Hader. I just love him. He is insanely talented with impressions, he’s very attractive, and even if he is not the main focus of the sketch, he still goes the extra mile to make it funny while still not taking the focus off the main characters. And so what if he breaks sometimes? IT’S FUNNY. And It’s not every single sketch like Jimmy Fallon. Plus it shows he’s not taking himself too seriously. When Bill leaves, I might keep watching, but it won’t be the same.)

2. Taran Killam (Taran is so talented and funny. He dances, he sings, he does impressions, he’s cute, he does crazy things…. Remember Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s hynosis sketch? Taran is amazing.)

3. Jason Sudeikis (If this is for the MVP of THIS season, how can Jason not be in the top 3? We needed Jason during the election. And we still need him for Joe Biden. And he makes What Up With That funny. And I don’t care that he plays dads and coaches. Jason is hilarious and attractive.)

4. Kate McKinnon (She’s not Kristen Wiig, but she comes pretty close. She has good impressions and she’s willing to do crazy things. Very funny.)

5. Fred Armisen (Why do people hate Fred so much? He does good impressions, he can play any race, and he’s little and adorable and funny! The only drawback is that he’s been there a long time.)

6. Cecily Strong (Cecily has done awesome this season. She’s funny! She could do better than Kate if she keeps it up.)

7. Seth Meyers (Seth is adorable and sassy and quick-witted and I love him. But yeah he needs to stop just doing song monologues, and I wish he still appeared in sketches.)

8. Nasim Pedrad (Nasim is underrated. She is really funny! Okay, Amy Poehler has a better Kelly Ripa, but Nasim has done other great stuff. I hope she starts doing more this season because so far she hasn’t been in much.)

9. Jay Pharaoh (He does great impressions. And I like his Obama! But he needs to start writing some sketches for himself or something because he barely gets any screen time.)

10. Bobby Moynihan (I think Bobby is funny. But he’s usually just a background in sketches.)

11. Kenan Thompson (Kenan has a great singing voice and good reaction faces, and I actually like What Up With That sketches, but he cannot do impressions. I think he’s tried to do Bill Cosby before. But that wasn’t even memorable.)

12. Aidy Bryant (She has promise, but so far she hasn’t been my favorite. I did like her in the girlfriends sketch though. Hopefully she’ll show some impressions and some variety!)

13. Vanessa Bayer (I really want to like her, but Vanessa has never done anything for me. Her Miley Cyrus is the only thing she has.)

14. Tim Robinson (…is he even trying?)

Comment by Sorry I wrote so much – December 31, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cecily Strong is quickly becoming my favourite cast member. The new girls are really upping their game. Kate MacKinnon and Aidy Bryant are also really great.

Comment by dude – January 1, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hands down Bill Hader No.1. Then Taran (did they ever have an openly gay cast member before? Interesting but I think he`s the first) and then Cecily Strong. IF she gets the right parts and they give her the chance she deserves-she can be No.2 in no time!
    Hader is a solid Bo. 1 becuae he has one quality, that only one other cast member in history of SNL had, and that was Will Ferrel. They both can have a small part in a scetch and steal the focus. He`s also the best looking cast member in a long time. HE`s actually HOT. Not cute or nice looking- REALY HOT! :)
    So…GO Bill :).

Comment by Joyce – February 10, 2013 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Comment by a simple but elegant way of expressing the beauty – March 21, 2013 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • armisten ( his obama is way better!), hader, and tie between jason n keenan. Am i the only one that thinks aidy bryant is the least funny* on the show?
    *she sucks

Comment by chris munoz – May 29, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m late to this, but Hader. It’s ALL about Hader. He is an enormous asset to the show, a genuinely sweet guy, and an extreme talent! He makes sketches better just by showing up.

Taran, Bobby, Sudekis, and Seth are the others I really l love to see. Bobby is incredibly underrated and comical, Taran is, in my opinion, the next big man on campus, Sudekis does what he does better than anyone else could.

And Seth! I friggin LOVE Seth! Yes, he’s only ever in Weekend Update, but he makes those segments fantastic. He’s super sweet and handsome, plays wonderfully off the Update characters, and I adore his sarcastic, ironic delivery. What a champ.

Comment by MuppetMolly – September 6, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post