Saturday Night Live Poll: Who Are This Season's MVPs Thus Far?

As you watch Saturday Night Live this season, which cast members seem to be having the last and first laughs, plus several in between?

With Season 38 of the late-night series almost at the halfway point (Hunger Games hottie Jennifer Lawrence hosts next, on Jan. 19), we thought it time to check in on who you deem to be the current MVPs.

Is this The Year of Jason Sudeikis? Is Bill Hader infallible at showing the funny? Or are newbies stealing the show? Read our assessment of each player, then vote for your TOP 3 MVPs in the poll below.

1. DL says:

For me, it’s definitely Hader, Killam, and McKinnon.
    And when did Taran Killam become the master of funny faces? He consistently cracks me up without saying a word. First Mokiki, then the sociopath McDonald’s worker, and last week his amazing Michael Keaton face! Hilarious.

2. John says:

I think we’re ultimately going to see Tim Robinson fall out of the roster (unless Sudeikis’ departure opens up the “straight man” slot for him), while McKinnon steps up more and more and Cecily Strong continues to stand out as the most promising of the newbies, eventually eclipsing McKinnon. Meanwhile, Hader will shoulder more and more of the show’s weight while Killam quickly becomes the other “star”. Armisen will linger for paychecks a couple more seasons, producing nothing necessarily exciting.

3. Alienate says:

Most under-used : Nasim Pedrad. Very talented.

4. RobMF says:

I’ve been loving Cecily Strong, I think she is fantastic and the best new addition to the show. The other newcomers are really not that interesting to me, Tim Robinson has had his moments though. Anyway what I’m trying to say is I’d love to start a conversation with The Girl You Wished You Hadn’t Started a Conversation With At a Party.

5. Carol says:

Nasim Pedrad, definitely. Although Nasim has been criminally underused this season, Nasim has managed to have a variety of funny roles. The first date sketch, the real estate sketch, the Tech Talk sketch, the Chris Christie interpreter, Ariana Huffington, Lil Blaster, and Homeland sketches were all hilarious. I really hope they start using Nasim Pedrad more often!

6. Do It To It, Lars! says:

Gotta go Hader. Is there a bad sketch he CAN’T make humorous?

7. I worry that J-Pop America Fun Time Now‎ will be the next SNL movie.

8. jari says:

Taran Killam hands down. Evidence? The crazy joyride sketch with Bruno Mars and Brad Pitt.
    Cecily Strong’s Girl you wish you hadn’t started a converdatin at a party is a close second.

9. Uncle Ralph says:

I just don’t see McKinnon’s appeal, but I’m a terrible person who has a hard time even looking at her because her eyes look really weird to me. I’ve found Cecily Strong to be the more talented of the two anyhow.

Bill Hader and Sudeikis are still pretty solid, thought hot damn is Killam awesome.

• AlsyBalsy says:

I’m with this guy. I do NOT see the appeal to Kate McKinnon at all. She might be funny on something else when you aren’t expecting so much, but all I ever get is the same Russian/Ukrainian/Slavic voice over and over and over. I think she is totally a one-trick pony, and the trick sucks.

10. GeezerDave says:

Bill Hader is great. Did a terrific job hosting JFL in Montreal. I think Jay Pharoah has a great SNL future in store.

11. GeezerDave says:

“Drunk Girl…” is a fine addition to Weekend Update!

12. Mike says:

Kate McKinnon, she and Killam are the only two that make me laugh anymore, don’t understand all the love for Hader, he is good but breaks character far too often.

13. GeezerDave says:

Oops! I meant “The Girl at the Party you wish you hadn’t started a conversation with”

14. Crittab says:

Taran Killam is always my favourite in every sketch he participates in, along with Bill Hader, Kate McKinnon and Jason Sudeikis. The four of them have more range and laughs-per-minute than the rest of the cast combined, and they always go the extra mile to make the absurdly mediocre SNL skits something to laugh at. They find the humour in unfunny skits, while most of the remaining cast members seem content to let sucky material suck.

15. sarasetif says:

too bad we don’t get to see Seth Meyers more, can’t he be like Jimmy Fallon was? in the sketches AND Weekend update?

16. RockGolf says:

Kenan can break me up just by staring straight-faced at everyone else. He makes every skit he’s in funnier.

17. Shari says:

Hey – I love The Californians!

18. cjeffery7 says:

people are still into jason sudeikis? he’s so blah outside of his political impressions. tarn killam and kate mckinnon for sure, cecily strong a close runner up. i wish nasim pedrad and vanessa bayer were used more! they started the season strong taking over kristen wiig’s duties, but then slowly receded back into the “occasional players gang.”

19. A says:

I am sorry, as a Californian, I find the Californians hilarious. My friends and I quote those sketches and rewatch them more than any other from the recent seasons. I dont know why you dont like them- it must be a east coast thing.

• Olive says:

I’m from Califronia too and my firends and i do the samething. There’s so much hate on the message boards for that skit but I love it.

20. John says:

SNL is a shell of it’s former self…in other words, it sucks.

• Max says:

Gripping commentary. Especially since it’s the same thing that somebody’s been spouting since Gilda Radner and Garrett Morris left the show.

21. Eric says:

Hader, Killam and MacKinnon. Easily.

22. Sean D says:

If I personally had to rank these wonderful people (SNL is NOT a shell of its former self, it’s a venerable institution that basically creates what television comedy will be generation after generation so people should just shut up about it “not being what it used to be” or whatever) I’d say

1. Bill Hader
    2. Fred Armisen
    3. Nasim Pedrad
    4. Bobby Moynihan
    5. Kate McKinnon
    6. Seth Meyers
    7. Jay Pharoah
    8. Jason Sudeikis
    9. Aidy Bryant
    10. Cecily Strong
    11. Kenan Thompson
    12. Vanessa Bayer
    13. Taran Killam
    14. Tim Robinson

23. Love love love Taran Killam. His Andy Cohen and (older non-televised) Robyn impression have kept me laughing through most of 2012.

Dare I suggest that Seth Meyers deserves to go more than any individual performer?

24. Sam says:

Kenan Thompson only 2% ? What up whit that?

25. SJ says:

Kate McKinnon, definitely. Cecily Strong is a solid 2nd. Killam takes 3rd place for me. Armisen and Thompson need to retire and I wish Pharaoh would just leave as well, he’s just not funny. Hader was my favorite up until two seasons ago, now he just breaks character way too often.

26. Isak says:

I can’t speak for others but to me Jay Pharoah isn’t funny in anything.

27. vane says:

I love the new girls their so funny and talented! I stoped watching after poehler left bt am reallying loving the new girls their the only reason am watching again!

28. Max says:

11. Nasim Pedrad
    12 Fred Armisen
    13. Kenan Thompson
    14. Tim Robinson

29. Sorry I wrote so much says:

My ranks from Most-to-Least Important:

1. Bill Hader (I love Bill Hader. I just love him. He is insanely talented with impressions, he’s very attractive, and even if he is not the main focus of the sketch, he still goes the extra mile to make it funny while still not taking the focus off the main characters. And so what if he breaks sometimes? IT’S FUNNY. And It’s not every single sketch like Jimmy Fallon. Plus it shows he’s not taking himself too seriously. When Bill leaves, I might keep watching, but it won’t be the same.)

2. Taran Killam (Taran is so talented and funny. He dances, he sings, he does impressions, he’s cute, he does crazy things…. Remember Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s hynosis sketch? Taran is amazing.)

3. Jason Sudeikis (If this is for the MVP of THIS season, how can Jason not be in the top 3? We needed Jason during the election. And we still need him for Joe Biden. And he makes What Up With That funny. And I don’t care that he plays dads and coaches. Jason is hilarious and attractive.)

4. Kate McKinnon (She’s not Kristen Wiig, but she comes pretty close. She has good impressions and she’s willing to do crazy things. Very funny.)

5. Fred Armisen (Why do people hate Fred so much? He does good impressions, he can play any race, and he’s little and adorable and funny! The only drawback is that he’s been there a long time.)

6. Cecily Strong (Cecily has done awesome this season. She’s funny! She could do better than Kate if she keeps it up.)

7. Seth Meyers (Seth is adorable and sassy and quick-witted and I love him. But yeah he needs to stop just doing song monologues, and I wish he still appeared in sketches.)

8. Nasim Pedrad (Nasim is underrated. She is really funny! Okay, Amy Poehler has a better Kelly Ripa, but Nasim has done other great stuff. I hope she starts doing more this season because so far she hasn’t been in much.)

9. Jay Pharaoh (He does great impressions. And I like his Obama! But he needs to start writing some sketches for himself or something because he barely gets any screen time.)

10. Bobby Moynihan (I think Bobby is funny. But he’s usually just a background in sketches.)

11. Kenan Thompson (Kenan has a great singing voice and good reaction faces, and I actually like What Up With That sketches, but he cannot do impressions. I think he’s tried to do Bill Cosby before. But that wasn’t even memorable.)

12. Aidy Bryant (She has promise, but so far she hasn’t been my favorite. I did like her in the girlfriends sketch though. Hopefully she’ll show some impressions and some variety!)

13. Vanessa Bayer (I really want to like her, but Vanessa has never done anything for me. Her Miley Cyrus is the only thing she has.)

14. Tim Robinson (…is he even trying?)

30. dude says:

Cecily Strong is quickly becoming my favourite cast member. The new girls are really upping their game. Kate MacKinnon and Aidy Bryant are also really great.

31. Joyce says:

Hands down Bill Hader No.1. Then Taran (did they ever have an openly gay cast member before? Interesting but I think he`s the first) and then Cecily Strong. IF she gets the right parts and they give her the chance she deserves-she can be No.2 in no time!
    Hader is a solid Bo. 1 becuae he has one quality, that only one other cast member in history of SNL had, and that was Will Ferrel. They both can have a small part in a scetch and steal the focus. He`s also the best looking cast member in a long time. HE`s actually HOT. Not cute or nice looking- REALY HOT! :)
    So…GO Bill :).

32. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

33. chris munoz says:

armisten ( his obama is way better!), hader, and tie between jason n keenan. Am i the only one that thinks aidy bryant is the least funny* on the show?
    *she sucks

34. MuppetMolly says:

I’m late to this, but Hader. It’s ALL about Hader. He is an enormous asset to the show, a genuinely sweet guy, and an extreme talent! He makes sketches better just by showing up.

Taran, Bobby, Sudekis, and Seth are the others I really l love to see. Bobby is incredibly underrated and comical, Taran is, in my opinion, the next big man on campus, Sudekis does what he does better than anyone else could.

And Seth! I friggin LOVE Seth! Yes, he’s only ever in Weekend Update, but he makes those segments fantastic. He’s super sweet and handsome, plays wonderfully off the Update characters, and I adore his sarcastic, ironic delivery. What a champ.