TVLine's 2012 in Review, Part 2: Best Cliffhanger, Worst New Character and 38 More Categories

Auld acquaintance may be forgot, but for us at TVLine, the year in TV certainly isn’t.

We reviewed the past 12 months of television fare and picked out what we loved, hated and couldn’t shut up about. We’re talking characters, plot twists, casting decisions, cliffhangers… everything from Most Improved Show to Most Ewww-Inducing Amputation Scene (for which there was an unsettling amount of contenders!).

In fact, there was so much to talk about that we split our rundown into two batches. (Here’s Part 1, highlighting the Best and Worst Couples, Most Scandalous Sex Scenes and such.)

As always, we want to hear what you thought about 2012′s TV offerings. So click through the gallery below, then hit the comments with your thoughts.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Commentary, Photo Gallery, Reviews

1. forwarddad says:

Why can’t TVline develop a better platform for those who access their site via a smartphone? This is so behind the times site.

• Amanda says:

Gonna have to second this. The galleries have started to be completely impossible to follow on the mobile site now.

• Jill says:

Agreed. Its just a random list of tiny, caption-less, photos.

• nick1372 says:

If you click on the bottom photo, you get a seperate page with the caption, and then if you click on the thumbnail that appears under it on that page, you go to the next photo w/caption. And then on and on. It’s a pain in the neck, but you get used to it.

• Leo says:

This. I bookmark this site on my mobile but this type of article annoys the hell out if me.
      I’d rather they type out all the texts and remove the images.
      Well at least, I’ll have ideas as to what’s happening before I log in with my PC.

• Diane says:

ICAM (speaking of behind the times! ha!) It is so annoying.

• May says:

I’ve given up on Tvline mobile. I’ll check the full version whenever I can, which will probably be a lot less frequently than using the mobile version.

• Kel says:

This, so much this!

2. Michael says:

Sorry, but for “Best Death Scene” I choose Lexie (Grey’s Anatomy)

• TVPeong says:

Both Lexie and Mark had amazing death scenes on Grey’s Anatomy. I tear up thinking about it.

Most clueless award should go to Juliette from Grimm. She’s ridiculous now.

• Ree says:

This!!
      Lexie’s death scene haunted me for days and made my eyes ball everytime! I thought George Omalley’s death or Denny’s death were the most tearful event in Grey’s history, but Lexie’s unexpected death left them all behind.

• juan says:

Agreed, how did she and Mark not completely win, Ridiculous, I still get sad thinking about it

• Svenja says:

I agree with you guys. I sobbed. And usually I never sob when characters die. I just shed a tear when I like them, but the deaths on Grey’s were heart-breaking this year.

3. sofia says:

Kudos to “Most Disappointing Show : Gossip Girl” and I add worst season, worst serie finale!
    And you should add, worst death or moment and it’s Bart & Chuck fight and Bart death, still laughing at it!

And most underrated show : Cougar Town!

• Ari says:

Gossip Girl: Factory of Disappointment.

Cougar Town is underrated, and I can’t wait for it to come back! We’re so close!

• you know says:

For me,most underrated show is Nikita,but good choice from your side!

• Svenja says:

The Bart-Chuck fight and death scene was really bad. Also combined with the music. I don’t know but it was… really weird. The series finale was ok but the sixth season was just weak for a final season. They wasted too much quality screen time on irrelevant stuff like Serena and Steven or Steven’s annoying daughter. I am rewatching the first season and they were brilliant and juicy. I wonder how a show can lose it’s magic in such a big fashion.

• jules says:

Amen, Svenja,
        Bart’s death scene was horrible, just like most of the last season. I agree, I didn’t hate the finale, it was okay, but nothing compared to the first couple of seasons.

4. Guest1 says:

I’m not exactly sure what the criteria was to decide the “best death”. But if you go by the internet exploding for a solid week, the winner would be Opie in Sons of Anarchy.

5. I agree that Joshua Ledet was really good, but if you’re going to choose one from Idol, it’s got to be Jessica Sanchez’s duet with Jennifer Holliday, right? That performance was ridiculous!

6. Craig Hansen says:

I would not honor any part of CBS’ bland Holmes update, Elementary. The Tiffany Network took the most brilliant and fascinating detective in all of English-language literature, plopped him down in the middle of some leftover The Mentalist plots, and made him as bland as any CSI or NCIS leading character. Thank God BBC is offering us Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman in a properly-updated Sherlock. It may only be three episodes every 18 months or so, but it’s so much better, I’ll accept the smaller doses. Elementary can’t even live up to the Robert Downey Jr. movie series. But at least Elementary can lay claim to one achievement no other Holmes adaptation can lay claim to: it’s made Holmes boring.

• Ana says:

Thank you. Someone had to say it.

• Leo says:

Speak for yourself…
      Did you even watch the show after the first few eps?
      Elementary is one of the best new shows in 2012 and
      Johnny Lee Miller succeeded in creating a new persona for the detective.
      And Lucy Liu, as a female Watson, may be the weirdest idea, yet it works like a charm and portrays one of the best non-romantic friendship in TV history.
      I love UK original Sherlock and the movie version, but I’m so entertained with this weekly Sherlock on my TV.
      If you have no idea how a show does right now, please refrain from giving a comment which can mislead others.

• Katherine215 says:

Agree! It’s a great show. All these BBC Sherlock snobs don’t seem to understand that there can be more than one take on a classic, and people with different interests can enjoy each, or both, versions.

• Alex says:

I agree with Craig I’ve never seen Sherlock, and I have seen every episode of Elementary. IMO, it’s mediocre, mostly because of the bland mysteries. The characters have potential and the actors are fine, but this show fails to rise above average.

• TVPeong says:

I am really enjoying Elementary but I think that they need to introduce a mastermind criminal, someone worthy of Sherlock. He needs his Moriarty.

• Olive says:

Agree! I love it. I love Miller’s take on Holmes and Liu’s on Watson. It’s far better than the Downey Jr. films. And the themed intro is the best.

• Elyse says:

I wish people would stop comparing BBCs Sherlock and Elementary. I love both shows!!

• Templar says:

ITA, Craig. On Elementary, one must overlook the same name factor and look at it as just another Mentalist/Castle cop who isn’t a cop show. JLMiller always looks like an unmade bed. The plots are contrived. And Lucy L seems as defeatist as Lisbon on Mentalist.

• Jj says:

ITA. BBC is the way to go on this one. As far as I’m concerned Elementary does not exist. Benedict is Sherlock!

• Radha says:

Blasphemous. I do NOT agree. I think both shows are good.

• Kristina L. says:

Completely agree with Craig Hansen’s assessment. There was NO point in “Elementary” and it’s boring to boot.

• Arya says:

Oh, please, all these cumberb1tches always complain about Elementary. I love both Sherlock adaptation, no need to feel threatened.

• Katie says:

Thank you. Thank you. I’m so glad someone said this. Thank God for the BBC.

7. Nick says:

Great list!! I totally agree about Elisha Cuthbert! And I was LOLing about Pretty Little Liars and it’s convoluted plot, I thought I was the only one who found that show nearly impossible to follow.

• Elyse says:

it’s actually not hard to follow at all.

• Tom says:

Way to go Elyse! Nothing like feeling superior to someone on an anonymous message board for an entertainment website. Good for you!

• Elyse says:

LOL! yes Tom because your comment doesn’t do the same exact thing? way to be a douche. it’s a show for teenage girls… as long as you’ve watched from the beginning it’s not hard to follow :) happy holidays!!!

8. Carol says:

Most Underrated Show: Emily Owens M.D.
    And as for Best Death Scene – Lexie or Mark from GA, most definitely.

• Michelle says:

Amen to Emily Owens!

• Anna says:

I agree about Emily Owens, MD. It is by far the most quality show I have seen on the CW. I think that’s probably why it was cancelled – it wasn’t appealing to its demographic.

• Natalie says:

Hit the nail on the head regarding not apealing to its demographic…they wasted five extra seasons on the “great” Gossip Girl but cancel EO, MD…I guess it’s time for me to retire from the CW.

• Georgia Madman says:

Emily Owens was dreadful. I choked down two episodes, and even with Justin Hartley, took it off my DVR. It had no redeeming value except Justin Hartley. Hope he chooses better next time.

• TexasGreatGrams says:

I agree about Emily Owens. I really enjoyed the show and Mamie Gunner was perfect casting. Hated to see it go.

9. hermit says:

Great new character Benny! I love that he’s been added and I hope Carver keeps Benny. He’d be a great addition to Team Free Will. ,

• Ari says:

Agreed! I was surprised by how much I like Benny! Keep him around!

• TexasGreatGrams says:

Sure hope they do keep Benny around-someone for Dean and Sammy to use as an excuse to argue. I really want to see what happened in the restaurant with Martin. Can’t wait for January 16 to get here.

• Jaylyn says:

No he wouldn’t. Dean, Sam, Cas and Bobby will always be Team Free Will. Benny is just a cliché. The most unoriginal new character of the season from any TV show. A vampire trying to be good. How many of these have we seen over the years? Angel was great. Spike was interesting. Benny needs to go. I’m tired of him already.

• TexasGreatGrams says:

I also think Benny was the best new character in an existing show. It is so good to add such interesting characters to the most entertaining show (in my opinion) on tv today. And love the relationship between Dean & Benny.

• Mare says:

I agree! Loving the addition of Benny. The Dean, Benny, and Castiel scenes in Purgatory have been the most exciting things in several seasons! I hope they keep him around. I adore the relationship Dean has with him and I would love to see Dean, Benny, and Castiel team up again for more Team Purgatory adventures!

• Sara says:

This. So much. The Purgatory sl has invigorated Supernatural in a similar manner as the angel sl did in S4. The writers of this show would be foolish of they didn’t give us a little more of that, even if it was just through a few more flashbacks. They were awesome-every single one of them. And YES! to keeping Benny around as long as they maintain that brothers-in-arms vibe that he shares with Dean. Those two are GOLD! when they hunt together.

10. Boiler says:

Is it possible to have a best of for reality??:)

11. Nick says:

Love Best Comedy Duo- Conrad & Victoria

12. Elyse says:

love Andrew Lincoln but he has the worst cry ever. i actually laughed out loud when he cried after Lori died because it was hilarious.

• tripoli says:

Wrong.

• Mel says:

Elyse, I must disagree with you completely. Did you want a “pretty” cry? He was heartbroken, and I was also heartbroken for him (even though Lori was my least favorite character). You might want to check your geneolgy to see if you’re related to the Tin Man.

13. Alyssa says:

I couldn’t agree more. Chuck, for me, thus so far has the best series finale.

• madhatter360 says:

I think Chuck had the best series finale until Tuesday when the Leverage series finale aired. Leverage had the best series finale ever.

• joe says:

Agreed. There were some very subtle things going on early in the season that led to the finale, many that even the long-time fans missed. The end wasn’t the usual “feel-good” soppy fare that TV often presents, but something that was meaningful.

We got a great ending *and* the path was cleared for a (potential) movie. Please, please, please. A movie!

• Ari says:

I agree. It was my favorite of the year. It was a perfect ending.

• Aiden says:

Word.
      In fact, just the reminder of it has me weeping about the end of this show all over again. 11 months today (Yep, never have I remembered the series finale date of a show before, but that damn episode was anything but forgettable.) and still reeling a bit. I say that’s a good sign.
      I’m glad TV Line acknowledged it as a 2012 moment despite it occurring in the beginning of the year. Thanks, guys!

• Loni says:

Yes, I loved seeing Chuck listed, that was really great. Gosh, I miss that show.

14. Katy says:

LOL Kurt and Rachel in NYC is going to get MORE boring and dull unless they add some more characters there. There is a certain limit to the heart-to-heart talks they can have about their mean teachers and boring love interests.

• anne says:

Could Kurt and Rachel in NY be better? Yes. But it’s still better than the rest of the show by a country mile. They need to move 5 or 6 more characters to NY and forget about McKinley.

• Leo says:

I used to love NY scenes.
        But then they ruined Rachel so bad, now she’s a hooker version of Lea Michele. That’s not the character I fell in love with since Season 1.
        I’m hoping Season 4B will have less NY scenes.
        McKinley is the heart of Glee.

• Kate says:

That’s too bad if it’s true because the McKinley side of things is un-watchable. Marley is a snore along with most of the new characters. The scenes with her mother just remind me how much I miss Burt and Kurt scenes – Mike O’Malley and Chris Colfer are MUCH better actors. They haven’t been using Artie or Tina as much as they should. They are seniors right? Shouldn’t we be seeing more of them before they leave? Brittany’s singing in every episode, why? Sue’s been completely absent, but maybe that’s a blessing considering what they did with her last season.

The only thing keeping my quickly waning interest in Glee has been the NYC side of things, and I hope they buff up that side of things and give it more focus now that Kurt is at NYADA too. I wish we had gotten that spin off. I would love to watch that each week and not have to FF through all the McKinley stuff.

I’m with you on Rachel’s makeover – although I wouldn’t call her a “hooker”. If they wanted to make her look more grown up, great, but the makeover isn’t working.

• KellyG says:

Well, I think Glee is not as good as it used to be. Nor the music. So I watch Person of Interest. It is better.

• KellyG says:

A really good thing that Glee moved to Thursday’s is that it became opposite of Point of Interest. I don’t have any guilt or remorse for not watching Glee anymore. POI is so much better and captivating. I really like Green Arrow and my favorite is a “comedy” called The Big Bang Theory.

• Mikey says:

Agreed….Glee is definitely not as good as it was…I only enjoy it when the ‘graduates’ come to town (and really, they have that much free time to return to HS for shows??) I was glad to see Blake from Glee Project, but not really doing much with him (much like Rory from last season!) Hate most of the new cast (esp Kitty….evil love child of the old Quinn and new Sue Sylvester)
            Worst part is, I still watch, but now it’s like watching a train wreck but in slow motion…part of me keeps hoping it’s gonna get better, but I know it won’t…..I guess with Ryan Murphy so busy with ‘The New Normal” and “AHS:Asylum” he’s forgotten about “Glee” and so have the writers!!

• Lydia says:

Last time I checked Rachel wasn’t haven’t sex for money so… Also how exactly does one look like a hooker? Sure you have your streetwalkers, but then you also have your high class escorts. That’s a pretty wide range to cover with just one outfit.

• Dania says:

OMG you’re totally right about Rachel! XD I always thought she has turned into a slutty Lea Michelle too. NY arc just made me snooze. My fave episode so far is when there are no NY scene.

• RachelA says:

I don’t understand you people. The NY parts of Glee are the only ones where I’m not constantly cringing They are by far what is best about the show. Admittedly the Brody storyline is fairly dull, but all in all, I’d still rather watch that than Sam and Brittney get fake married or Marley get “tricked” about her weight because she apparently doesn’t understand how clothes work! Glee is at its best when it mellows out, and stops trying to be completely over-the-top. That’s NY and that’s where the show should focus.

• AngD says:

I, too, think the new characters are bland, as compared to the original cast. I think the idea is to develope the new Glee club and then spinoff NYADA to a different show. Thus, the time spent on the newer Glee members who are all pretty much established as sophomores to carry Glee on for at least 2 more seasons until they graduate. Cory could go with either show, depending on where they take ‘Finn’. However, unless Artie, Blaine, Tina, Brittany and Sam all go to NYADA, it’s likely ‘done’ for them except for guest appearances. Based upon last year, Artie wants to become a director and Tina and Blaine would likely audition for NYADA. No idea about the fates of Brittany and Sam. I agree that ‘Tina’ and ‘Artie’ are very underutilized. As compared to the newbies, Sam Larsen should also worry about being on Glee next year – we know a lot less about him as compared to the other new characters!

• Maggie says:

Kurt and Rachel may be a bit repetitive, but at least it’s well acted. Glee needs to trim it’s overly large cast, keep (or bring back) its real talent and write compelling storylines for them. The focus on two locations is making everything more of a rushed mess than usual.

• Nancy says:

Rachel and Kurt definitely win the most annoying duo award. Kurt’s turned into a stereotype and Rachel’s still her everyday spoiled delusional self. Everyone I know can’t stand to watch the NY scenes.

15. ChrisCross says:

Love Benny. Hope to see more of him.

• tp says:

See, I’m the opposite. I really don’t see what’s so great about him. However, I don’t care if he stays or goes.

• Radha says:

What I wish is that the writers would stop bringing on people that frequently cause Sam and Dean to keep fighting. That annoys me.

• Ari says:

My favorite episodes are the ones where Sam and Dean are at odds. I don’t know why but I like them fighting. I like them when they are united as well but I think they are most compelling when they are against each other.

16. Amanda says:

Everytime I see Mark Pellegrino I wonder if I will see Titus Welliver soon

17. Katie says:

Oh Ausi, you’re butthurt is showing.

18. “American Idol’s Joshua Ledet, “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World”
    Runner-Up: The Voice’s Amanda Brown, “Dream On””

Screaming is NOT singing. Ledet can’t sing, he screams.

• Leo says:

Joshua can sing but he chooses to scream on ALL his performances. Slezak is so so so attracted to this kind of performance so you can excuse him for that choice.

• Temperence says:

Ledet is awesome – until he starts shreaking, then I’m out. Totally out. I’d take Phiillip Phillip’s doing the finale version of “Home” over any of it.

19. Joe says:

Sherlock season finale The Reichenbach Fall for best cliffhanger. Shocked it isn’t on this list.

20. Sara says:

LA Reid is no way near the worst judge, britney is!

• Temperence says:

LA is so bad, he’s firing himself.

• Edward says:

No Randy Jackson is. At the very least Britney says things direct to the point and L.A.can exaggerate but at least makes sense.Randy is utter nonsense. I’d keep Britney and L.A. over Randy’s “In it to win it” anytime.

21. Renee says:

RIP Terra Nova. I loved that show.

22. Princess Adora says:

Wow, I don’t watch 99% of these shows…many of which I never even heard of. I don’t know whether to be sad or happy about it.

23. Lily Langtry says:

Regarding your Most Underrated Show “Suburgatory”, I tried to watch that 3 times and thought it one of the stupidest shows on TV. Perhaps it got better with time, but IMO, the cast didn’t gel and the writing was subpargatory. I’ll stick to the comedies on TV Land, like “Hot in Cleveland”, “Happily Divorced” and “The Exes”. However, as far as The Most Underrated Reality Show, I don’t agree that it’s the best of those cooking competition type shows, but “Chopped” is definitely underrated, as is, again IMO, “Cupcake Wars”.

24. Monica4185 says:

I completely agree the Andrea from The Walking Dead assessment. The girl is freaking cluelesss to the point that I want her dead.

25. Erin says:

Agree 100% on Most spot on actress. Bailee Madison looks like she could be related to Ginnifer Goodwin.

• Templar says:

ITA. And whomever does the casting really missed the boat by using Warren Christie as the bail jumper in the pilot because he’d have been perfect to play Henry’s father. The resemblance is uncanny.

• lll says:

+1 to Bailee. I thought that was Ginny’s head on someone else’s body. Didn’t know they casted her until much later.

26. Fabian says:

I so agree with your assessment of The L.A. Complex. It was so great! I wish people would have known and kept it on the air!

• Leo says:

Woot, an L.A. Complex fan!! I always thought it’s just a myth.
      I love the show so much and really glad this site recognized it.
      And we haven’t heard any news, whether it’s cancelled or continued.
      But if it’s cancelled, then we’ll always have that Season 2 Finale when they wrapped up things so nice.

• Tom says:

Count me as a fan too!! Unfortunately, it was cancelled in Canada, so alas we will be getting no more episodes of this VERY underrated show

• Mikey says:

I thought I was the only person who watched this show. None of my friends ever heard of it and even when I told them about it, they didn’t watch!! I was glad that the finale for S2 tied up the loose ends; obviously writers knew the end was near…..most shows end/get cancelled and leave us feeling cheated!!

• Alex says:

L.A. Complex is a stinker and a half! It’s stale, the actors reek, and the plots are from out the 1980s at best. Horrid show.

• Ree says:

you are talking about CW here, remember that… Show that keeps a sinking ship like GG on air and cancels exciting and fan favourite shows like Secret Circle and Ringer!

27. shamangrrl says:

I have to totally disagree with regard to “Best Finale”. The Chuck finale was depressing and bitter (not bittersweet). It ruined the series for me.

• Spoiler Junkie says:

Totally agree. The ending left a sour taste in my mouth. I just prefer to remember that Chuck ended in 5×08 or any moment before Sarah’s memory loss

• GeoDiva says:

Me too. Her not getting her memory back was heartbreaking and just sad.

• Aiden says:

Now you’re just assuming she DIDN’T get her memory back. Nothing in the series finale ever indicated that, though. And if you watched the show at all for the past 5 years, it’s obvious that they’re not in the business of making meaninglessly depressing stories for their beloved characters. If anything, it’s the lightest and most family oriented action/romance/drama show I’ve watched. They juggled many things, but there’s a huge heart at its core always.
          I, for one, believe it was intended to show that Chuck and Sarah were easily on their way to ‘happily ever after.’ Sure, it may not have been packaged in a neat bow and spelled out so obviously, but knowing the characters, it’s more than a reasonable conclusion.
          I think we’re just not used to series finales asking us to use a little bit of our imagination. I personally admired that they chose not to be predictable but bold and daring instead for an epic series closer.

• Loni says:

Great comment Aiden!

• partisan says:

You can “believe” anything you want but the fact that they left the single most fundamental part of the series hanging at the end is an insult (and I think an intentional one) to the fans.

You’re right that the series was light fun happy ending TV so why go dark and negative at the end?

28. MuzzikLvr says:

Spot on with your spot on casting. The resemblance between the two is uncanny.

29. cindy says:

Most underrated show: Hart of Dixie. snappy dialog, fun plots, character development, and great acting/direction. No sophomore slump!

• Liz985 says:

Absolutely. This show has actually gotten better since it’s first year, which was fun in and of itself. Looking forward to it starting up again after the new year.

• Mel says:

Agree with you Cindy, Heart of Dixie is quite a little gem of a show. It makes me very happy when I watch it. It’s just a little slice of heaven in a cynical world.

30. Rachel says:

I totally agree with Gossip Girl being disappointing! They didn’t really make it seem like the final season at all.

Nick on The Good Wife just creeped me out! I felt they could’ve given him a better character than what he got.

• AngD says:

If this year hadn’t been the last season of GG, I would’ve dropped it off my TiVo. THe last couple of seasons have been horrible and I was just stickin with it til the end. They never made ‘Nate’ interesting. Dumb to have Blair and Chuck seperate until the end. The only thing I liked about the finale was the vision of the future, but the rest of the season was miserable.

31. Marco says:

There should be an award for Series Finale Written By Monkeys, which would of course be awarded to Gossip Girl. It was so full of fail, especially with Serena calling GG ‘a love letter from Dan to the whole UES’. Um, no.

• Ari says:

Serena is so stupid and they didn’t even try to make her smart. When she said Gossip Girl was a love letter from Dan I wanted just one of them to slap her across the face. So Dan was so in love with you that he wrote nasty things about you and your friends for the better part of a decade? Dan was a glorified internet troll and all GG taught the world is that sometimes internet trolls do get the golden girl.

• Natalie says:

Don’t you dare…Savage and Schwartz are no where near as intelligent as monkeys!!!

32. Saint Alicia says:

Co-sign “most undeserving sophomore slump” label for Homeland; I still averaged like 4 heart attacks an ep, and the finale blew me away (no pun intended). So what if Brody wasn’t killed. I have to agree with Gansa & Co that the Homeland universe is a little more interesting knowing Brody is still out there somewhere.
    Moreover, “Q&A” is definitely the best single drama episode. Dare I say it earned Claire Danes and Damian Lewis a couple of SAGs and Golden Globes to go with their Emmys.
    As for The Good Wife; how could such a smart show make such a stupid mistake with Nick? I still can’t get over what a clusterf-ck that storyline is/was.
    And Peggy better still be around on Mad Men. If Megan gets screen time while Peggy’s side-lined, lord help me…

33. Rachel says:

can we add Doctor Who. The Xmas special left a me screaming for the spring. Can’t stand Moffat and his cliffhangers.

• Aiden says:

Agreed! Doctor Who just keeps getting more clever and suspenseful. Moffat ups and ups the stake, it’s fantastic. I thought having the Ponds gone would make me lose a bit of interest, but he was so smart to include a much intriguing mystery around Oswin Oswald that we’ve no choice but to keep coming back. That Christmas special was the best we’ve had in years.

34. tp says:

Best series finale: Leverage.

• Danbro says:

Leverage finale was good but it was only like 41minutes and Chuck was 44minutes and extended version 50minutes, also Leverage didn’t wrap stories about back-stories and there was a bad goodbye… Chuck was Awesome it tied everything nicely. Both series ended with a possible continuation where fans can imagine what happens next. Both also brung familiar/old faces back on the journey. OVERALL CHUCK IS THE BEST SERIES FINALE OF 2012 !!!!!!!!!!!

35. tp says:

Quick question. I don’t watch SOA but can someone please tell me how they made those boobs look so REAL on Walton Goggins?!! I almost choked when that pic popped up.

36. Yeah! Go Chuck! And give to Suburgatory a chance! And the last thing I have to say is #sixseasonsandamovie

37. maxisatroll123 says:

i wish that revenge would just focus on the main plot instead of having all of those useless subplots that have no relationship to the MAIN plot. emily to focus on taking down the people who wronged her father. i think that the show would improve a lot if they got rid of pada, aiden, declan, jack and kenny and perhaps just drop the stoweway storyline thats why the show isnt as good as last year because the stoweway is a big part of this season

38. AJ says:

I really don’t like the best death scene choice. Sure it was made to look sad but I, just like most of the TWD fanbase, just didn’t give a crap about Lori. To be completely honest, T-Dogs death scene was way better because he went out like a hero. My choice would be either the Ponds on Doctor Who (so sad!) or Moriary on BBC’s Sherlock (I just didn’t see that one coming at all!).

• Ari says:

As much as I hated Lori, and I hated her so much, I think her death scene was moving. However, it wasn’t her dying that moved me, it was Carl, in that moment leaving his childhood behind. I was moved for Carl and his loss not for Lori dying.

39. Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

I think the The Good Wife’s Nick has taken more hits than necessary. A remarkable actor should not suffer because of a showrunner’s creative direction. Definitely took a chunk out of the enigma that is Kalinda and filled the void with plain confusion. I hope she did kill him. Something could come of that. Otherwise, I have no reason to lose faith in this show. If only Network television could be this marvellous across the board. Thanks CBS.

As for POLITICAL ANIMALS, I think this will hurt USA Network’s credibility as a legitimate, competing cable network. It’s the only production to rise above the digestible fluff they have become experts at churning out. Such a wasted opportunity. My vitriol filled the blogosphere on that sad day. They had me. They lost me. Try again USA…if you can. You’ve come a long way from SILK STALKINGS, though.

Talk to me, Mike. You know I love thee.

40. AlbTrex says:

Best series finale –> One Tree Hill!!!!

I agree on Worst New Character on an Established Show (Nick, we all hated you!!) and Most Underrated show (Suburgatory!! <3 <3 <3)

41. annie f. says:

2012 was definitely Walton Goggins’ year, The SOA cameo was all kinds of wonderful. I hope that there’s more Venus Van Damme in Season Six!

• scorpionglow says:

Definitely the best. I just about died laughing. I actually had to rewind it to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating, and then I called someone else into the room to make sure I was seeing things properly. Funniest cameo EVER.,

42. Andy says:

Best Comedy Duo: Shawn and Gus
    Best Series Finale: Leverage

43. JM says:

Finally! Someone agrees Suburgatory is underrated!

44. omabin says:

Most Underrated Show: Suits
    Most Improved Show: Agree with Dexter
    Most Disappointing Show: Vegas
    Most Underrated Actor: Andrew Lincoln all the way… Also Jake Johnson (New Girl)
    Most Underrated Actress: I like the happy endings mention (the whole cast could be in there) but I have to go with Jennifer Carpenter. She has been criminally underrated for years, but this year it has been her best year yet
    Most Undeserving mention of sophmore bump: Homeland and Revenge
    Best Comedy Duo: Penny and Sheldon (The Big Bang Theory)
    Best Single Episode (Comedy): I agree with Community
    Best Single Episode (Drama): Killer Within (The Walking Dead) (I love Q&A as well)
    Most Convuloted Plot: The Grey’s Anatomy Doctors sue the hospital
    Best New Character on an Established Show: Hannah (Dexter)
    Worst New Character on an Established Show: Nick (The Good Wife) all the way
    Best Series Finale: House
    Most Ambitious Ill Fated Show: Last Resort
    Best New Show No One Watched: Last Resort Again
    Most Spot On Casting: Could not agree more
    Cancelation that Hurts the Most: Terra Nova
    Most Clueless Character: Andrea (The Walking Dead) and Jack (Revenge)
    Best Death Scene: Lori (The Walking Dead) all the way
    Best Cliffhanger: I love Scandal but gotta give it to Dexter
    Biggest tearjaker: The Sheldon episode (Private Practice) or the premiere (Grey’s Anatomy) or Killer Within (The Walking Dead)
    Best Character Transformation: Rick (The Walking Dead)
    Most Annoying Character: Declan Porter (Revenge) or Huck (Scandal)

• Whatever says:

Great list !
      I would have to go with Homeland for Best Cliffhanger though.

• aleksa says:

Agree with you fully on Jennifer Carpenter.

• Labpar says:

Agree completely with Andrew Lincoln he really is fantastic in the walking dead.

• Alex says:

Why does the Grey’s “doctors sue the hospital” plot confuse you so much? It was thoroughly explained and seems pretty simple to me.
      Most annoying character: Declan sure sucks.
      Most disappointing show: Vegas is pretty bad. OTOH, it airs on CBS, so any viewer should pretty much expect an hourlong non-reality show on that network to be yet another dull effort.

• Bonnie says:

Because it’s dumb and would never happen in the real world. Hospitals have administrative staffs and this is who would have procured the airplane, thus being responsible. Seattle is not a one horse, third world city.

• Mary says:

Revenge and the stupid Initiative plot I think has fairly earned the sophmore slump title.

• Olive says:

Completely agree with you on Last Resort. RIP

• Gene says:

Can’t believe you think Vegas is disappointing. I think it’s very good television. Ah well, different strokes and all that…..

45. partisan says:

Best Finale is Chuck?? You have got to be kidding! A great show that went out by basically saying the last 5 years didn’t happen, at least as far as the Sarah the fans loved is concerned. Even for those who say “They’ll fall in love again” it’s still going to be a different person who does it. The fans stayed intensely loyal for 5 years and the producers gave them the finger at the end. How is that a “Best Finale”?

• Ari says:

Do you believe that Chuck and Sarah were meant to be? I do. I know that no matter what they will find their way back together. It wasn’t a big flip off from the producers. They want you to…USE YOUR IMAGINATION! Imagine what comes next for them. They beat the odds once, they can do it again. You just have to believe in love.

• partisan says:

If I wanted to use my imagination I’d read a book.

Ok maybe that was a little snarky, sorry.

Chuck was at heart a fairy tale and Dang it I wanted my happy ending, not the “You decide what comes next” copout that so many pretentious hollywood types use to duck out on giving a series a real ending

• Tater says:

It was clear throughout the finale that Sarah’s past memories were slowly returning… Hence the reason she remembered the Demova virus, and the arrangement of the cups at the Wienerlicious…Clearly here memory wasn’t lost for good just slightly submerged deep in her mind. I think it was right to sort of leave it off with people wondering..Setting up the perfecet set-up for catching us up if and hopefully when the make the CHUCK movie. So glad to see TVLine recognize CHUCK for their selection on this list..Congrats on a choice well selected TVLine. Viva La Buymoria!!!

46. Donna says:

Elisha Cuthbert is the WORST actor on Happy Endings. Painfully unfunny. I don’t see how anyone could call her underrated.

• Mary says:

Alex is the one character on Happy Endings that I can’t stand. Dave is ok when around the others, but Alex is super annoying all the time.

47. Marilyn says:

Benny deserves it. The relationship between him & Dean is the best thing in season 8. Everything else is so flawed, but Benny they did right. God please let him stay in this desert right now.

• Gene says:

Benny is nothing but a plot device. A point of contention bettween the brothers. A manifestation of Dean’s “ideal” brother. Yay for Dean. The writers need to get the Winchesters on the same page once and for all, and the quicker the better.

48. Elizabeth says:

How could Chuck be named Best Series Finale? I love that show, but the finale was really disappointing. I didn’t watch many shows that ended last season, but imho the best was Eureka, which had a happy ending and tied up all lose ends. Runner up would be One Life to Live, which was also really good and payed homage to its 40 year history.

• partisan says:

I absolutely agree. Eureka had a GREAT finale and it was even more impressive when you think about the fact that they got the series cancellation notice just as they finished what they thought was a regular season finale. They managed to get one extra hour out of SYFY and managed to produce a nearly perfect ending including the call back to the first episodes Carter/Zoe seeing themselves when they came into town for the first time.

An example of a brilliant series finale.

49. Nikki says:

Most annoying character is tied with Bellamy Young’s Beth and Jeanne Tripplehorn’s Alex on Criminal Minds.

Best tearjerker goes to Paget Brewster’s exit on Criminal Minds.

Sweet send off to Kristen Wiig’s send off on Saturday Night Live

50. John says:

I have to disagree with most annoying character. Charlie from Revolution is by far the worst part of that show. As much as i love Revolution, I would love to see her get killed off.