NBC Officially Passes on Mockingbird Lane

Get More: Cancellations, News, Pilots

Mockingbird Lane - Season PilotMockingbird Lane proved to be a dead end.

NBC has decided not to order to series the reboot of The Munsters, which had been shepherded by Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies).

“I tweet with a heavy heart,” Fuller said on Thursday. “NBC not moving forward with #MockingbirdLane. From producers and cast, thank you all for enthusiasm and support.

The Mockingbird Lane pilot — which NBC aired as a pre-Halloween special — drew 5.4 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating, giving the network its best demo in the Fridays-at-8 time slot in two years. After its debut, TVLine readers gave the sneak peek an average grade of “B+” in our poll.

The modernized Munster family featured The Defenders‘ Jerry O’Connell as Frankenstein-ish Herman, Arrested Development‘s Portia de Rossi as his vampire wife Lily, Spy Kids: All The Time in the World 4D‘s Mason Cook as their budding werewolf son Eddie, British actress Charity Wakefield as cousin Marilyn (aka the normal one) and The Riches‘ Eddie Izzard as the ravenous Grandpa.

Comments (73)

• Too bad

Comment by Nick – December 27, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it was really good, this is from the network that still has the office on

Comment by Andrew – December 27, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Honestly, when did you last watch The Office? This year has been really really good.

Comment by Jrs – December 27, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It hasn’t… it’s been the worst season.

Comment by Enrique – December 27, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It hasn’t been the worst but it’s not what it should be for a final season.

Comment by Sam – December 27, 2012 07:11 PM PDT
          • actually it has been one of the better seasons this year..they re-found themselves…the Office is hilarious once again!

Comment by Marcus – December 28, 2012 06:06 AM PDT
        • The office has been surprisingly hilarious this year. Season 8 is easily the worst, followed by season 7, then season 6, then season 9, then season 4, then season 1, then season 5, then season 3, then season 2.

Comment by Larry page – December 28, 2012 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. There have been really funny episodes this season. It’s like Michael Scott’s departure gave the show some new breathing space. He was never my favorite character anyway. He drove most of the storyline and gave the other characters something to react to, but I never really responded to his character the way I do to the Dwight-Jim dynamic. But I’m kind of a Jim fanboy anyway. The Jim-Pam relationship has been one of the cutest relationship I’ve ever seen unfold on television and – call me crazy – but I still find it funny whenever Jim shoots the camera a look.

Comment by Mitholas – December 28, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It was never ‘really good’. Heck, it was never ‘good’. Mostly, it was almost as unwatchable as 30 Rock.

Comment by Temperence – December 28, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree, I’ve loved the Office this year!

Comment by Babybop – December 28, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Forget the office! 1313 Mockingbird Lane with its ensemble could have been a two and half men share with a bit of time. NBC couldn’t find their ass with both hands forget about a hit series. My heart weeps for the masses and their willingness to watch crap on tv.

Comment by Patrick – January 6, 2013 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why can’t this man get a successful show?? Everything he’s done has been amazing.

Comment by Babybop – December 27, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly my thoughts, Bryan Fuller is a genius, he makes magnificent shows, and I can’t wait to see Hannibal, this pilot was awesome but I guess NBC has great plans to show “The Voice” every day at every hour, so what can you do.

Comment by raftrap – December 27, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem is people are idiots and would rather watch procedurals like Near Completely Indistinguishable Series and a show featuring tons of sex crimes where the criminal is the big guest star.

Comment by Tom Charles – December 27, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Honrstly, I think the problem was Bryan Singer. The pilot was uneven because SInger was not working within the parameters of what Bryan Fuller wanted the show to look and feel like. Singer overstepped his bounds and did what you DON’T do on a TV director – try change the voice of the show. It was very unprofessional of him and Bryan Fuller deserved better.

Comment by Rowan77 – December 27, 2012 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • BTW, yes my typing is s#!t. I’m typing on a tiny keyboard and it’s annoying.

Comment by rowan77 – December 27, 2012 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be fair, his concepts aren’t always as good in the context of a tv show as would be as a movie. Pushing Daisies could have made an amazing movie that people would love the way they love Amélie Poulain. As a TV show, it has the inherent problem that the main romantic couple can’t ever touch each other. That’s fun for about a season, but after that it all starts to feel forced and it can’t last. And as much as I like the procedural element to that show, it tended to take a backseat to the can’t-touch-this romance that got less and less cute each episode.

He left Dead Like Me, which lead to a decline in quality (seriously, why did the character progression stop dead after half a season?), which lead to that show’s cancellation.

Wonderfalls, again a cute idea, but that show felt like it had no direction it wanted to go in.

I’ve seen pretty much every show this guy has done, and I think he’s really talented and has great ideas, but his ideas just don’t always translate to a show that I’d watch for 5 seasons. And I give shows a very wide margin or error once I catch onto them. I haven’t been too surprised at any of his shows getting cancelled when they did so far.

Comment by Mitholas – December 28, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it look like an amazing show, can’t believe they’re not going forward!

Comment by marpa – December 27, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was horrible …should have been more like the original..this one was in bad taste, badly acted and i turned it off.

Comment by alan – December 27, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Bryan’s shows but this one had a horrible casting. Only Eddie Izzard seemed like a good choice the rest not so much. Portia, how is she even getting auditions let alone roles on these shows.

Comment by luke – December 27, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She seemed so BORED! Talk about phoning it in!

Comment by Sheila – December 27, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Strahan look out Jerry was a finalist for your job now he will be wanting it back

Comment by forwarddad – December 27, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael Strahan could die and Kelly Ripa could prop his rotting corpse next to her on stage and he’d still be a better co-host than Jerry ever was.

Comment by Jim R. – December 27, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL, wow Jim tell us how you really feel.

Comment by tp – December 27, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • terrible terrible terrible. Did a very poor job of being ‘Munsters’ none of them looked anything like their roles from the better, original show.

Comment by Mockingbirdlane fails – December 27, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s too expensive to make, so it doesn’t get a go? NBC might actually make money on this show, if they were to produce it. Better some of the crap the networks put out these days.

Comment by robinepowell – December 27, 2012 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except that the show was bad. Why waste money on it?

Comment by Sheila – December 27, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except the show was good…

Comment by Temperence – December 28, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It stank. And was expensive. Good riddance!

Comment by Alex – December 28, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Except that some people really liked it and thought it beautifully done.

Comment by suzi – December 29, 2012 07:42 AM PDT
  • Too bad i thought it had the verge of being something great with teh right tweaking and time!!

Comment by Amy Elizabeth Kristina Radigan – December 27, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get it if it had good ratings then why didn’t they continue with the show I love paranormal sci fi type shows and I kept looking to see when it returned well it sucks it isn’t returning

Comment by amanda – December 27, 2012 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1.5 isn’t that great, especially for a 10 million pilot.

Comment by Pedro – December 27, 2012 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Portia de Rossi can’t catch a break.

Comment by B – December 27, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Portia is an incredibly successful actor, and she’s caught quite a few breaks (including marrying Ellen). I’m sure she’ll have a great many more changes for a longer run.

Comment by Temperence – December 28, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is one show that should have moved forward. It was a great pairing with Grimm and had decent ratings for a Friday Night. Too bad. Wonder what made the deal fall through.

Comment by lll – December 27, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Comment by English – December 27, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m not surprised… I REALLY enjoyed it, so of course, it was a “no go”….

Comment by SciTeacher4000 – December 27, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen on that!

Comment by Polly – December 27, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NO KIDDING! every time a good show airs it ends up canceled usually after the first season. i mean they didn’t even give it a chance! they didn’t advertise it very well either i didn’t even know about it until it came on again that week. everyone was getting ready for Halloween maybe they should have waited a week then aired it! I loved it no it wasn’t much like the original but it was still pretty good i would have loved to see more of it.

Comment by Stephanie – October 28, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I’m not surprised. I LOVED it so of course it’s not getting picked up! I HATE reality TV so I’m sure that’s what will replace it. I think Fuller is amazing and I enjoyed Pushing Daisies.

Comment by Jennifer – December 27, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a shame :( I really enjoyed the pilot and was so happy to have Portia back on my TV again.

Comment by erin – December 27, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is NBC, this should hardly come as shocking. It is, however, sad. I was looking forward something innovative to watch. Of course, after the cancellation of “Awake” I shouldn’t have even bothered watching the special and getting my hopes up.

Comment by dq18 – December 27, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprising. Eddie Izzard was great in it and Portia was fine, but Jerry was robotic and boring.

Comment by Templar – December 27, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This pilot was a mixed bag. Eddie Izzard was awesome as grandpa! However, Jerry O’Connell was grossly miscast as Herman. If they recastHerman with someone who could play the man/child that the Herman character is they would have had something special. I think the producers were on to something just recast O’Connell. Normally the would be a great idea but the pilot alone supposedly cost $10 Million. Who’s going to put up the money for a 2nd go round? To me the original show’s appeal was the relationship between Herman & Grandpa. Being “monsters” was very secondary. Fred Gwynne & Al Lewis were hilarious together. Also the Herman/Lilly relationship was important. Jerry O’Connell was simply not right for the role. He had no chemistry with anyone especially with the actress who played Lilly.

Comment by Tim Ryan – December 27, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe Ellen should have played Herman!!

Comment by JASon – December 28, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that was my only big issue with the show is that Jerry is just awful, I don’t know how he keeps getting work. However I was willing to over look that because the rest of the show was so great. Now if they could’ve gotten Patrick Warburton to play Herman that would’ve been perfect.
      And why would NBC pass on this show it would’ve been a great compliment to Grimm. Way better fit than Fashion Star. What were they thinking???

Comment by Ram510 – December 29, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For once, I agree with NBC. Quick, call me a doctor.
    It was in bad taste. Fuler will have to find a new niche other than tryingto get laughs from death…we have enough in the real world without trtying to make it funny.
    Pushing up Dasies didn’t work and neither did this.

Comment by JB – December 27, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shame. I was hoping for a miracle and last minute save. I watched it out of curiosity, but found I liked the characterizations and style very much.

Comment by sadface – December 27, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not surprised. I am a huge Bryan Fuller fan, but I’m going to have to stop watching his shows. As amazing as they are, it always leads to disappointment.

Comment by Eric – December 27, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought this show was very creative, visually appealing, nicely acted, wittily written, appropriately updated. I’m very disappointed!

Comment by Staci – December 28, 2012 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad … I loved the original & revamp. I think NBC has a few screws lose to pass on a show with such heart. This show had the potential to bring NBC back to the table with a start of a solid line-up. Good-bye NBC, you’ve axed the only show you aired thats on my DVR. When the morons that run the network are gone, I may be back.

Comment by Levi – December 28, 2012 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss the cast!
    The pilot was great!

Comment by Elga N – December 28, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awwwww too bad!

Comment by Danielle H – December 28, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it! Damn shame. I still have the pilot on my DVR.

Comment by Paul Lewis – December 28, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really disappointed. I thought it was a fun show that would have had great promise.

Comment by TrulyRoxie – December 28, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stupid NBC. They could have had a powerhouse Friday evening with Mockingbird Lane at 8:00 and Grimm at 9:00. Well, that’s Comcast for you.

Comment by Bob – December 28, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While Fuller’s version of THE MUNSTERS was certainly a departure from the original series, it nonetheless contained plenty of internal homages to the original while still offering a fresh and interesting interpretation for the twenty-first-century viewing audience. It’s a shame that the suits at NBC don’t recognize talent when they see it and that they just want to continue feeding viewers the same old tasteless cultural pablum.

Comment by Michael – December 28, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sucks. I really liked ML and thought it had great potential.

Comment by Temperence – December 28, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can it be sold elsewhere (SyFy???)

Comment by ncmacasl – December 28, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Netflix would be smart to pick it up as a limited series like Portia’s other show Arrested Development!!

Comment by JASon – December 28, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or possibly ABC could pick up and team it with Once Upon A Time!

Comment by JASon – December 28, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • or sold to Netflix???

Comment by ncmacasl – December 28, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait NBC you pass on a good show but keep the ones. Great move NBC, great move. -_-

Comment by JT – December 28, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I meant to say pass on the good ones and keep the bad ones,

Comment by JT – December 28, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer. I like Bryan Fuller and sounds like a great cast. Honestly NBC sucks except for Grimm.

Comment by Tamara Farley Weintraub – December 28, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess this means another hour of Trump on NBC

Comment by Barry Einstein – December 28, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the pilot of ML and wish NBC had better people making the decisions. It could go to HBO and get even darker and funnier. Just a thought.

Comment by Bobby Milford – December 28, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m starting to think the genius Bryan Fuller must be cursed! First Pushing Daisies, now this!

Comment by heathercnelson – December 28, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna miss Eddie Izzard! :(
    He nailed the character!

Comment by Elga N – December 29, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, I really loved the pilot. Wish they had had even an ounce of faith in the show… Alas they gave up on it before it even happened. Bryan Fuller needs to find a cable network to support him, network is too predictable and procedural-obsessed for his genius. I still don’t know how we managed to get 1.5 seasons of Pushing Daisies…

Comment by Mellie – December 30, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the first time in 20+ years that I even had NBC on. Your news is way too biased, your programming is terrible! This was a great show. Most of the people that didn’t like it, was due to the fact it wasn’t like “The Munsters”. Which I’m glad it wasn’t, trying to redo that chemistry is impossible. That’s why it’s called a “revamp” !
    NBC, loss the suit & tie wearing decision makers, and get
    Some young blood! Continuing to think like the days of old, will never get you ahead!

Comment by NBC less – April 21, 2013 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post