NBC Officially Passes on Mockingbird Lane

Mockingbird Lane - Season PilotMockingbird Lane proved to be a dead end.

NBC has decided not to order to series the reboot of The Munsters, which had been shepherded by Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies).

“I tweet with a heavy heart,” Fuller said on Thursday. “NBC not moving forward with #MockingbirdLane. From producers and cast, thank you all for enthusiasm and support.

The Mockingbird Lane pilot — which NBC aired as a pre-Halloween special — drew 5.4 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating, giving the network its best demo in the Fridays-at-8 time slot in two years. After its debut, TVLine readers gave the sneak peek an average grade of “B+” in our poll.

The modernized Munster family featured The Defenders‘ Jerry O’Connell as Frankenstein-ish Herman, Arrested Development‘s Portia de Rossi as his vampire wife Lily, Spy Kids: All The Time in the World 4D‘s Mason Cook as their budding werewolf son Eddie, British actress Charity Wakefield as cousin Marilyn (aka the normal one) and The Riches‘ Eddie Izzard as the ravenous Grandpa.

• Andrew says:

it was really good, this is from the network that still has the office on

• Jrs says:

Honestly, when did you last watch The Office? This year has been really really good.

• Enrique says:

It hasn’t… it’s been the worst season.

• Larry page says:

The office has been surprisingly hilarious this year. Season 8 is easily the worst, followed by season 7, then season 6, then season 9, then season 4, then season 1, then season 5, then season 3, then season 2.

• Mitholas says:

I agree. There have been really funny episodes this season. It’s like Michael Scott’s departure gave the show some new breathing space. He was never my favorite character anyway. He drove most of the storyline and gave the other characters something to react to, but I never really responded to his character the way I do to the Dwight-Jim dynamic. But I’m kind of a Jim fanboy anyway. The Jim-Pam relationship has been one of the cutest relationship I’ve ever seen unfold on television and – call me crazy – but I still find it funny whenever Jim shoots the camera a look.

• Temperence says:

It was never ‘really good’. Heck, it was never ‘good’. Mostly, it was almost as unwatchable as 30 Rock.

• Babybop says:

I agree, I’ve loved the Office this year!

• Patrick says:

Forget the office! 1313 Mockingbird Lane with its ensemble could have been a two and half men share with a bit of time. NBC couldn’t find their ass with both hands forget about a hit series. My heart weeps for the masses and their willingness to watch crap on tv.

1. Babybop says:

Why can’t this man get a successful show?? Everything he’s done has been amazing.

• raftrap says:

Exactly my thoughts, Bryan Fuller is a genius, he makes magnificent shows, and I can’t wait to see Hannibal, this pilot was awesome but I guess NBC has great plans to show “The Voice” every day at every hour, so what can you do.

• Tom Charles says:

The problem is people are idiots and would rather watch procedurals like Near Completely Indistinguishable Series and a show featuring tons of sex crimes where the criminal is the big guest star.

• Rowan77 says:

Honrstly, I think the problem was Bryan Singer. The pilot was uneven because SInger was not working within the parameters of what Bryan Fuller wanted the show to look and feel like. Singer overstepped his bounds and did what you DON’T do on a TV director – try change the voice of the show. It was very unprofessional of him and Bryan Fuller deserved better.

• Mitholas says:

To be fair, his concepts aren’t always as good in the context of a tv show as would be as a movie. Pushing Daisies could have made an amazing movie that people would love the way they love Amélie Poulain. As a TV show, it has the inherent problem that the main romantic couple can’t ever touch each other. That’s fun for about a season, but after that it all starts to feel forced and it can’t last. And as much as I like the procedural element to that show, it tended to take a backseat to the can’t-touch-this romance that got less and less cute each episode.

He left Dead Like Me, which lead to a decline in quality (seriously, why did the character progression stop dead after half a season?), which lead to that show’s cancellation.

Wonderfalls, again a cute idea, but that show felt like it had no direction it wanted to go in.

I’ve seen pretty much every show this guy has done, and I think he’s really talented and has great ideas, but his ideas just don’t always translate to a show that I’d watch for 5 seasons. And I give shows a very wide margin or error once I catch onto them. I haven’t been too surprised at any of his shows getting cancelled when they did so far.

2. marpa says:

it look like an amazing show, can’t believe they’re not going forward!

3. alan says:

it was horrible …should have been more like the original..this one was in bad taste, badly acted and i turned it off.

4. luke says:

I love Bryan’s shows but this one had a horrible casting. Only Eddie Izzard seemed like a good choice the rest not so much. Portia, how is she even getting auditions let alone roles on these shows.

5. forwarddad says:

Michael Strahan look out Jerry was a finalist for your job now he will be wanting it back

6. Mockingbirdlane fails says:

terrible terrible terrible. Did a very poor job of being ‘Munsters’ none of them looked anything like their roles from the better, original show.

7. robinepowell says:

It’s too expensive to make, so it doesn’t get a go? NBC might actually make money on this show, if they were to produce it. Better some of the crap the networks put out these days.

8. Too bad i thought it had the verge of being something great with teh right tweaking and time!!

9. amanda says:

I don’t get it if it had good ratings then why didn’t they continue with the show I love paranormal sci fi type shows and I kept looking to see when it returned well it sucks it isn’t returning

10. B says:

Portia de Rossi can’t catch a break.

• Temperence says:

Portia is an incredibly successful actor, and she’s caught quite a few breaks (including marrying Ellen). I’m sure she’ll have a great many more changes for a longer run.

11. lll says:

This is one show that should have moved forward. It was a great pairing with Grimm and had decent ratings for a Friday Night. Too bad. Wonder what made the deal fall through.

12. English says:

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

13. SciTeacher4000 says:

I guess I’m not surprised… I REALLY enjoyed it, so of course, it was a “no go”….

• Polly says:

Amen on that!

• Stephanie says:

NO KIDDING! every time a good show airs it ends up canceled usually after the first season. i mean they didn’t even give it a chance! they didn’t advertise it very well either i didn’t even know about it until it came on again that week. everyone was getting ready for Halloween maybe they should have waited a week then aired it! I loved it no it wasn’t much like the original but it was still pretty good i would have loved to see more of it.

14. Jennifer says:

Well I’m not surprised. I LOVED it so of course it’s not getting picked up! I HATE reality TV so I’m sure that’s what will replace it. I think Fuller is amazing and I enjoyed Pushing Daisies.

15. erin says:

Such a shame :( I really enjoyed the pilot and was so happy to have Portia back on my TV again.

16. dq18 says:

It is NBC, this should hardly come as shocking. It is, however, sad. I was looking forward something innovative to watch. Of course, after the cancellation of “Awake” I shouldn’t have even bothered watching the special and getting my hopes up.

17. Templar says:

Not surprising. Eddie Izzard was great in it and Portia was fine, but Jerry was robotic and boring.

18. Tim Ryan says:

This pilot was a mixed bag. Eddie Izzard was awesome as grandpa! However, Jerry O’Connell was grossly miscast as Herman. If they recastHerman with someone who could play the man/child that the Herman character is they would have had something special. I think the producers were on to something just recast O’Connell. Normally the would be a great idea but the pilot alone supposedly cost $10 Million. Who’s going to put up the money for a 2nd go round? To me the original show’s appeal was the relationship between Herman & Grandpa. Being “monsters” was very secondary. Fred Gwynne & Al Lewis were hilarious together. Also the Herman/Lilly relationship was important. Jerry O’Connell was simply not right for the role. He had no chemistry with anyone especially with the actress who played Lilly.

• JASon says:

Maybe Ellen should have played Herman!!

• Ram510 says:

I agree that was my only big issue with the show is that Jerry is just awful, I don’t know how he keeps getting work. However I was willing to over look that because the rest of the show was so great. Now if they could’ve gotten Patrick Warburton to play Herman that would’ve been perfect.
      And why would NBC pass on this show it would’ve been a great compliment to Grimm. Way better fit than Fashion Star. What were they thinking???

19. JB says:

For once, I agree with NBC. Quick, call me a doctor.
    It was in bad taste. Fuler will have to find a new niche other than tryingto get laughs from death…we have enough in the real world without trtying to make it funny.
    Pushing up Dasies didn’t work and neither did this.

20. sadface says:

What a shame. I was hoping for a miracle and last minute save. I watched it out of curiosity, but found I liked the characterizations and style very much.

21. Eric says:

I am not surprised. I am a huge Bryan Fuller fan, but I’m going to have to stop watching his shows. As amazing as they are, it always leads to disappointment.

22. Staci says:

Thought this show was very creative, visually appealing, nicely acted, wittily written, appropriately updated. I’m very disappointed!

23. Levi says:

Very sad … I loved the original & revamp. I think NBC has a few screws lose to pass on a show with such heart. This show had the potential to bring NBC back to the table with a start of a solid line-up. Good-bye NBC, you’ve axed the only show you aired thats on my DVR. When the morons that run the network are gone, I may be back.

24. Elga N says:

I will miss the cast!
    The pilot was great!

25. Danielle H says:

awwwww too bad!

26. Paul Lewis says:

I loved it! Damn shame. I still have the pilot on my DVR.

27. TrulyRoxie says:

I’m really disappointed. I thought it was a fun show that would have had great promise.

28. Bob says:

Stupid NBC. They could have had a powerhouse Friday evening with Mockingbird Lane at 8:00 and Grimm at 9:00. Well, that’s Comcast for you.

29. Michael says:

While Fuller’s version of THE MUNSTERS was certainly a departure from the original series, it nonetheless contained plenty of internal homages to the original while still offering a fresh and interesting interpretation for the twenty-first-century viewing audience. It’s a shame that the suits at NBC don’t recognize talent when they see it and that they just want to continue feeding viewers the same old tasteless cultural pablum.

30. Temperence says:

That sucks. I really liked ML and thought it had great potential.

31. ncmacasl says:

Can it be sold elsewhere (SyFy???)

32. JASon says:

Netflix would be smart to pick it up as a limited series like Portia’s other show Arrested Development!!

33. ncmacasl says:

or sold to Netflix???

34. JT says:

Wait NBC you pass on a good show but keep the ones. Great move NBC, great move. -_-

35. Bummer. I like Bryan Fuller and sounds like a great cast. Honestly NBC sucks except for Grimm.

36. Barry Einstein says:

I guess this means another hour of Trump on NBC

37. I loved the pilot of ML and wish NBC had better people making the decisions. It could go to HBO and get even darker and funnier. Just a thought.

38. I’m starting to think the genius Bryan Fuller must be cursed! First Pushing Daisies, now this!

39. Elga N says:

I’m gonna miss Eddie Izzard! :(
    He nailed the character!

40. Mellie says:

Damn, I really loved the pilot. Wish they had had even an ounce of faith in the show… Alas they gave up on it before it even happened. Bryan Fuller needs to find a cable network to support him, network is too predictable and procedural-obsessed for his genius. I still don’t know how we managed to get 1.5 seasons of Pushing Daisies…

41. NBC less says:

This was the first time in 20+ years that I even had NBC on. Your news is way too biased, your programming is terrible! This was a great show. Most of the people that didn’t like it, was due to the fact it wasn’t like “The Munsters”. Which I’m glad it wasn’t, trying to redo that chemistry is impossible. That’s why it’s called a “revamp” !
    NBC, loss the suit & tie wearing decision makers, and get
    Some young blood! Continuing to think like the days of old, will never get you ahead!