TVLine's 2012 in Review, Part 1: The Best & Worst Love Stories, Sex Scenes, 'Aww' Moments & More

Looking for something to keep you cozy as 2012 comes to a chilly close? TVLine hereby kicks off its two-part review of the year in TV with this heartwarming (and perhaps other body parts-warming) rundown of the year’s most notable sex- and love-related moments on TV.

This gallery captures what and who we loved, hated and couldn’t shut up about for the past 12 months. Best Love Story? Most Kick-Ass Parent? Sex Scene That Made Us Most Uncomfortable? Yeah, it’s all in here.

Click through the gallery below, then hit the comments with your thoughts. Which of our picks do you like? Also, in Part 2 of our review: Most Disappointing Show, Most Underrated Actor, Best Show No One Watched, Wackiest Twist and 36 other categories.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Commentary, Photo Gallery, Reviews

1. Maki :D says:

BEst Parent runner Up COOPER???? Come on Charlotte made the heavy liffting!

2. Amanda says:

Best runner up, Tara and Jax?! They should have been the winner for sure.

3. omabin says:

My picks:

Best Couple: Olivia & Fitz (Scandal)
    Best Non Romantic Couple: Mike & Harvey (Suits)
    Best Love Story: Carrie & Brody (Homeland)
    Worst Love Story: Klaus & Karoline (The Vampire Diaries)
    Sex Scene that Made us the Most Unconfortable: Agree with yours
    Most Scandalous Sex Scene: Agree with yours
    Best Female Bonding: Agree but I have to give an honorable mention to Penny & Ammy (The Big Bang Theory)
    Best Female Feunding: Deb & Hannah (Dexter)
    Best Parent: Phil Dunphy all the way
    Worst Parent: Gotta agree
    Most Kick-Ass Parent: Agree as well
    Best Proposal: I agree
    Teenage you would be proud to call your own: Agree, but also Dana (Homeland) and Alex (Modern Family)
    Best Siblings: Deb & Dexter (Dexter)

4. guss says:

Best couple: Snow and Charming

5. Frenchgal says:

Pretty much agree with Chuck and Blair as a tie for worst love story…

6. hana says:

Fringe’s Peter Bishop deserves Most Kick-Ass Parent, or at least, Parental Revenge of the Year.

7. Cokes says:

Let’s be honest. The best proposal is clearly Ben and Leslie.

8. AJ says:

Best Couple (Non-Romantic): Shawn & Gus and Sherlock and Watson are tied for me.

• moobear says:

Agreed, gotta love that the Sherlock and Watson pair, no matter how they re-imagine the characters, usually always works out great. They’ve made Watson a nurse, a woman, a pharmaceutical rep, a sober companion, a oncologist, a former lawyer turned bar owner, etc., and still Doyle’s work makes for good TV.

• Andy says:

Sherlock and Watson of Sherlock are great for non-romantic, but they are not tied with Shawn and Gus for me because I’ve loved them much more for much longer.

9. shay says:

I like barney’s proposal even it was in a manipulative way before the big moment but my favorite proposal was Grayson for Jules in cougar Town with Ed’s Sheeran musica! AMAZING, the show is so underrated

and worst proposal it’s definitely chuck and blair, still laugh

10. Courtney says:

Woooo Matty McKibben!

11. JAA says:

IMHO Best Couple (Boring) should be Snow White and Prince Charming, Once Upon a Time

• Beckstle says:

Yep…I’ve never felt a passion between them. A destiny, yes, a love and commitment, absolutely, but it’s never felt like they couldn’t keep their hands off each other. Guess that’s what makes it a fairytale romance – rated “G.” Fritz and Olivia have really hot scenes but the whole affair thing makes it difficult to see them as the “best couple.” In that sense, Snow & Charming have them beat. I’d say Castle & Beckett for best couple, because it combines a level of hotness with a sense of rightness and destiny.

• Rida says:

They are wondeful together but i just dont get how and why they are so in love? O.o

12. Crystal says:

I think Leslie–Parks and Rec should’ve gotten Best Reaction to a Proposal. I don’t watch that show but i saw the video you guys posted and i was all teary eyed. It was one of the sweetest moments from television this year.

13. Saint Alicia says:

There really is no contest for “Sex Scene that Made us the Most Uncomfortable.”
    Thankfully Brody didn’t die so the writers can make up for it in season 3 ;)
    @Cokes, even though the Dana subplot helped frame the father-daughter relationship breakdown, Dana definitely became insufferable towards the end.
    Milk carton is leaking? Better THROW IT ON THE GROUND. She was literally crying over spilled milk. I mean, WTF child??

• Annie says:

You don’t have teen kids, do you? That scene was SO SPOT ON. That’s exactly what they do: deal with the big crap by shutting down, then erupting over minute annoyances. As for the sex scene – totally agree. They should just retire the whole category right now. What could ever TOP that for awkwardness? Anything MORE cringe-tastic, I wouldn’t be able to sit through.

14. Lilu says:

dooods!!! best couple is def Caskett !!!! and yes, sex scene on homeland creeped me out!!!!

15. Kelly says:

I think Booth and Brennan deserve at least a little respect from this review, (not at the expense of Ben and Leslie, but maybe at the expense of Snow and Charming), if for no other reason than the fact that they were totally about to go at it on a washing machine. Best Interrupted Sex?

16. Line says:

Just wondering, if you had to include Kristen Wiig’s farewell/exit in your best/worst list. Would you make it worst, because she left and she shouldn’t have left or would you make it best, because her farewell was the most heartwarming event on tv?

17. ChrisC says:

Most Underrated Actor: I’d say Courteney Cox, Christa Miller or Busy Philips. The Cougar Town ladies need some love!!

18. Daisy says:

May I just point out that Lucy Liu was not always a good partner on Southland…just sayin’

19. Rida says:

Caskett’s my fav. Always was, always will be <3

20. John DeMayo says:

Really? Once Upon a Time is a great show, but the Charming/Snow relationship is just so boring and cliched. Also, how can Michael and Nikita not be the best proposal? “Give me the damn glock!”

21. onlyakb says:

really I was the only one who thought Hannah and Dexter sex scene pretty damn awkward specially cos she was in his killing table before!!

22. you know says:

Oh,I have one: Best hook up: Tara and Pam,True Blood!B BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

23. Mike B. says:

Most underrated actor is John Noble on Fringe!!

24. Spencer says:

I loved Robin & Barney’s proposal, but Ben and Leslie’s had me sobbing and in shock, whereas the former’s did not. Hope to see P&R win more ‘awards’ next round!!

• Anna says:

I was sobbing at Barney and Robin’s proposal. I had almost given up on the show after all of the lackluster episodes this season, but I was crying my eyes out for the last 5 minutes of that episode.

25. Mari says:

LOL at best couple being Snow and Charming. They are boring as hell.

26. LH says:

Chuck&Blair should have been among Best Love Story, Best Proposal, & Best Sex Scene (for 6.01 Monte Carlo CHAIR Lovefest)!!!

• Natalie says:

Umm…no. LOL. If you think that Chuck and Blair were anywhere near a good love story you need…help. There ain’t NOTHING about Chuck and Blair that was good.

27. nick1372 says:

My picks-
    Best Couple: Caskett (Castle)
    Best Non-Romantic Couple: Ryan & Esposito (Castle)
    Best Love Story: Belle & Mr. Gold (Once Upon a Time)
    Worst Love Story: Aiden & Emily (Revenge)
    Best Female Bonding: Snow & Emma (Once Upon a Time)
    Best Female Feuding: Emily Thorne & Victoria Grayson (Revenge)
    Best Parent: Frankie Heck (The Middle)
    Worst Parent: Marion Harper (aka Victoria’s mom) (Revenge)
    Most Kick-Ass Parent: Jocelyn Carter (Person of Interest)
    Teenager you would be proud to call your own: Alex (Modern Family)
    Best Siblings: Ben & Kate Fox (Ben & Kate)

28. JD says:

CHAIR definitely should have been among BEST COUPLE, BEST LOVE STORY, BEST PROPOSAL, & BEST SEX SCENES!!! Chuck&Blair/EL always bring the HEAT & STEAMINESS to their love scenes–6.01 was AMAZING & the 1st CHAIR love scene we had since 4.22–That’s a LONG drought 4 CB!! The CB proposal & wedding was 6 years in the making–it was not everything it could/should have been, BUT it was still VERY SWOONWORTHY & delivered a great PAYOFF to fans!!! We EARNED our CHAIRYTALE ENDING 1,000X over & GG PTB delivered the goods!!! Long Live our CHAIRFAMILY & Waldass Babies

• Natalie says:

Chuck and Blair…are you serious? I’m not even sure why any CW shows are on here…except to show utter failures and flop. Chuck and Blair = a big fat EPIC FAIL. Lol.

29. aciel says:

the best non romantic couple shouldn’ve been emily and nolan on revenge

30. rachelle says:

Scandal ftw! I just knew it’d be in this countdown! and rightfully so. as Naomi Campbell said on Twitter: the passion between the Pres and Liv is sick! and their love story is both beautiful and heartwrenching. i’m definitely obsessed and can’t wait for Jan. 10th!

31. a says:

I am so freaking sick of this site’s Megan hate. Okay, you don’t like her as Don’s wife or even in general. GET OVER IT.

32. Aleksa says:

How could Gillian be only a runner-up for worst parent? That woman is bat-s**t crazy!

33. Angie says:

I thought Lori would be up for worst parent.

34. Tierney says:

Totally agree about HIMYM’s Barney/Robin as Best Proposal! So romantic and clever. And, in my opinion, it is one of the best episodes of the series.

• Anna says:

It was! And the proposal was so Barney. I’m glad they didn’t have to betray his character while having him do something that is so against his player ways.

35. AT says:

For the most part, it’s clear I just don’t have the same likes as this site! :) My picks would be almost completely different.

36. Warren says:

Most Sizzling Older TV Couple: Nero Padilla and Gemma Teller. The chemistry between Jimmy Smits and Katey Sagal took me by surprise. They were amazing together, so sad to not see this mature couple (He is 57 and she is 58) being more appreciated.

• Warren says:

*on Sons of Anarchy, btw. One of the highlights of a somewhat messy and unstable season 5 was definitely the Smits/Sagal duo. Hope Jimmy comes back for season 6.

37. Amanda says:

Several of these shows mentioned I have thought about checking out on Netflix: Castle, Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife, Arrow. Just not sure which to start with.

• Emily says:

Watch The Good Wife. As for the others, Castle is always fun; Arrow hasn’t been as great as I expected but it looks like it might start ramping up; and don’t watch OUAT, a.k.a. the show that endlessly squanders its potential. FRUSTRATION.

• Eli says:

That all depends on your personal tastes Amanda. All 4 shows certainly have their merits.

• beckstle says:

Depends what you’re looking for. Castle is a good mix of all-out fun, romance and serious drama. Think 1940′s romantic comedy meets noir films like “Chinatown.” It has enough of a thruline that watching it in chunks can be move like watching a movie than just individual episodes. OUAT is a really creative way of revisiting fairytales. Some of it is brilliant, The relationships – romantic or not – are complex and interesting – the same with The Good Wife. Good Wife has all that political power and office politics drama happening. If you like alot of triangles and power plays that’d be the one to start with. Castle and Good Wife have the tightest writing in terms of story continuity. All are well acted. I haven’t watched Arrow, but since it’s the one that’s been on the least it’s the easiest to catch up on and decide if you like it or not. :)

38. kai says:

Olivia & Fitz are the best!

39. Rachel says:

Love this list :) Great idea!

• Rachel says:

p.s. I am VERY GLAD Sam & Amelia got runner-up for worst couple ever. They don’t even deserve to win they’re that bad.

40. Sammy says:

Am I the only person who remembers that Housewives had it’s finale this year? I’ve read so many of these 2012 in TV lists and nobody mentions them! I get that it wasn’t a great season, but Housewives was such an extraordinary and iconic show and the finale was a big deal. One TV moment of 2012 that I will never forget is saying goodbye to those ladies. Can somebody please stop pretending that it never happened?

• Mel says:

Totally agree! I watched every episode from day one and I’m still mourning the end of this show. The finale was extremely well written and the perfect ending to 8 years of a huge cultural phenomenon and always entertaining show. I miss it terribly and wish it was getting the attention it deserved!

41. bigdede says:

Worst love story Mad Men? I loved them

42. Pam says:

Love love love scandal. The actors that play Liv and Fitz have off the charts chemistry!

43. Tami says:

Non-romantic couple, my ass…

44. meggo says:

Whoa Whoa Whoa. Best Display of Skin? how about Alex O on Hawaii Five 0?!

45. aynajine says:

best female feuding should have AnnaBeth Naas and Lemon Breeland. so fun watching those Jamie King and Kaitlyn Black playing frenemies. :))

46. Britta Unfiltered says:

Bwaahahahaha, Megan and Don as the worst love story. Nailed it! That Homeland sex scene too…egad, that is the most awkward sex scene I have ever seen on television in my entire life. It was such a great scene that was totally ruined by seeing poor Saul covering his face in horror. I disagree with worst parent, I mean, come on…Gillian had sex with her own son, that is way worse than anything Linden did on The Killing. Plus I didn’t think Linden was that bad, she obviously cared about her kid, she was just having a difficult time with time management. I say worst parent goes to Gillian and runners up should be Lori and Rick from Walking Dead, or Jax and Tara on SOA. Oh, and best parent I would have given to Saul for his fatherly relationship with Carrie on Homeland. He makes me wish he was my dad. Runner up should be Louie just for that Christmas episode alone where he was trying to fix the doll. Also, Carrie and Brody were my favorite romantic couple this year, even if things always seemed to be a little tragic for them. They’ve just got that great chemistry, even when she’s clearly 8 months pregnant in real life.

47. chistosa says:

Best Parent Bert Hummel on Glee by far
    Best Non Romantic Couple Ryan and Esposito on Castle and Harold and John on Person of Interest
    Best Couple Beckett and Castle So much more believable than charming and Snow

48. kate says:

Dan & Blair <3 That is all!!

• Natalie says:

This! Unfortunately, it made perfect sense and therefore did not appeal to the CW’s demographic or fit into the show’s fan pandering.

49. CherokeeRose says:

How Shawn & Gus (Psych) are not on this list if or best non romantic couple or at the very least best partner is really a travesty. At the very least Mike & Harvey (Suits) or even the Supernatual boys should have been on this list. Their stakes have been mug higher and each of these duos have been through far much more for far longer. While I like Sherlock & Watson in both incarnations I just don’t think these guys have earned their stripes the way the others have just yet. Dean went to hell to save his brother for Pete’s sake.

50. Marilyn says:

I agree Sam & Amelia were boring with zero chemistry. And that’s why Sam left Dean for dead without trying? Not impressed, Jeremy Carver. Just end it and have Sam want to hunt with Dean. I’m so annoyed.