HIMYM Boss Previews the Challenges Facing Robin/Barney — Including One 'Very Scary Guy'

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

The Final Page, Part One And TwoHow I Met Your Mother‘s Barney and Robin took a big leap forward when the former bachelor popped the question to his ex-girlfriend. But just because they are headed to the church doesn’t mean the former commitmentphobes will be doing a complete 180 when the CBS comedy returns on Jan. 14.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Renewed for Season 9 After Jason Segel’s 11th-Hour Reversal

“They haven’t changed who they are as people,” maintains executive producer Carter Bays. “There’s more to [commitment] than putting on a ring and being engaged.”

For the resident cad, in particular, there’s “the fact that this is it for him,” Bays continues. “He’s got to hang up his spurs and go off the range. No more one-night stands for Barney. He loves Robin enough that it’s worth it, but we’ll see him grapple with that.”

RELATED | HIMYM Boss on Robin and Barney’s (Happy?) Future, Ted’s ‘Regrets,’ Season 9 and More

Among the other challenges ahead for the pair: Moving in together – there “might be” an episode about that monumental step, says Bays – and facing the parents. (It seems Barney forgot one very important, not-so-little step before he proposed.)

“Robin’s dad is a very scary guy, and Barney has not asked his permission yet,” Bays previews. “That creates a little mission for Barney to convince this guy to let him marry his daughter.” And with a wedding being “a natural time for the parents to come out of the woodwork,” the writers have “a few ideas for some fun stuff to do” with the introduction of Robin’s never-before-seen mom.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on HIMYM‘s Robin Sparkles Return!

Marriage also brings up another significant family topic for the reunited couple: Kids. Barney in the past has expressed a desire for some little ones, but Robin doesn’t want and can’t have children. So how will the two – and the show – handle her infertility and their differing desires?

“We’re still sorting out how we deal with it,” admits Bays. “But that’s an issue that’s going to have to come up. It’s going to have be a part of what they talk about.”

One thing is clear: Things can’t stay exactly as they are now that Robin and Barney are engaged. As they merge their lives and get used to the idea of forever, “There are some fun, little changes that they’re going to have to make to their personalities and how they operate,” the EP notes. “And that’s not going to be easy necessarily. Like with all things that are worthwhile, it’s a lot of work. But ultimately, they’ll be better people because of it.”

Comments (40)

• I really hope they can bring back John Lithgow’s Arthur for a couple of episodes. I really loved him as Barney’s dad.

Comment by AJ – December 26, 2012 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I mean Jerry. I was thinking about a complete different father Lithgow has played :)

Comment by AJ – December 26, 2012 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Funny fact: Courtney Hill played John ‘Trinity’ Lithgow on Dexter but she also played a one night stand for Ted a few years ago (in Naked Man if I remember well). So in a twisted, mix up between HIMYM and Dexter, Ted slept with Barney’s sister^^.
        (btw: I totally agree, John Lithgow must be back, at least for Barney/Robin’s wedding).

Comment by Azerty – December 26, 2012 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Haha, think you mean Courtney Ford, she played Christine Hill. Messed it up just like me!

Comment by AJ – December 26, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh yes you’re right! I just found out she also played in a lot of other series (Grey’s Anatomy, The Big Bang, NCIS, etc.).

Comment by Azerty – December 26, 2012 07:25 AM PDT
        • Am I the only one who can’t look at Lithgow the same way after watching him play Trinity? It’s hard to see him play Barney’s dad. All I see is a serial killer now!!!

Comment by Jenny – December 26, 2012 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To sum up this article: “We are going to drag out this relationship and the wedding for an indefinite amount of time until CBS pulls the plug on our show”….

Comment by Vic – December 26, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have some faith Vic! :D

Comment by Hannah – December 26, 2012 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They don’t necessarily have to drag it out. I trust that whatever the writers decide, I wil enjoy. I can’t really doubt them after that amazing proposal!!! I still watch at least once every day!!! :D

Comment by Jenny – December 26, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that. Couldnt have said it better!

Comment by JeniLee – December 26, 2012 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uhhhh, have you not read any of the news on HIMYM? Season 9 is the last season. No matter what.

Comment by liddad – December 26, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For some reason I thought the same thing. I think they will have him back for the wedding because the mother will be Barney’s sister that we haven’t met yet. That’s my opinion.

Comment by RJ – December 26, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How could the mother be Barney’s unseen sister because when we were introduced to Rachel Bilsons character, future Ted said that the mother was her room mate which he was more interested in. If Barney at all knew about his sister he would have known that.
        I hope that she isn’t.

Comment by shuayb – December 26, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Barney’s never met his half-sister and even if he had it is perfectly understandable for him not to remember Cindy.

Comment by Mary – December 26, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok I like barney & robin together but it’s not THEIR show! Lily/Marshall and mostly are completly sidelined! It’s annoying! The mothing thing doesn’t progress and I don’t want a season 9 without knowing who is she and a sl for them! enough of BR, the last seasons was about them! I understand why Jason didn’t want to come bacl (till $ & surely they told him it’ll the last season)
    Plus the show is not as funny anymore! I still watch by habits and because I want to know who’s the mother

Comment by sasha – December 26, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that the show isn’t as funny as it used to be. Marshall and Lily are annoying and I wish they would go back to how they were in Season 1. I don’t mind if Robin and Barney are front-on-center because it means less whining from Ted.

Comment by Mary – December 26, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes. All of this.

Comment by Anna – December 26, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • SOOO TRUE!

Comment by Lily Auldrin – February 16, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree but Lily Auldrin isn’t spelled like that to “SOOO TRUE!” It is spelled Aldrin. Get ot right. Get it tight.

Comment by Katy Higgs – April 7, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like barney’s proposal even it was in a manipulative way before the big moment but my favorite proposal was Grayson for Jules in cougar Town with Ed’s Sheeran musica! AMAZING, the show is so underrated

Comment by shay – December 26, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sorry not the good place

Comment by shay – December 26, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to meet Robin’s mother,and I bet she’ll be making some moves on Barney!Lol

Comment by you know – December 26, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a little worried for B/R. I don’t want episodes like Bagpipes or worse, The Rough Patch. I can understand they still have some issues to resolve before they can make it to the alter, but I really want to see them being affectionate towards each other. I’m also worried what things they had to shift so they can use the full s9. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy about the extension, but would they break up B/R? God I hope not!

Comment by justsomegirl – December 26, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The writers know what they’re doing. I am looking forward to the other half of the season. Seems promising. It’s no surprise that the main focus is on Barney & Robin now, because Ted will actually meet The Mom at,or after, their wedding. + the last ep kind of ended on a Ted note.

Comment by Me – December 26, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The article points out all the things that bother me about the preview. These all seem to be issues the writers should have had Robin/Barney tackle before the two got engaged.

Yes, stuff like forgetting to ask Robin’s dad has potential to be hilarious, but the rest seems like simple stuff that should be running through a person’s mind before saying yes.

Comment by Gizmo1492 – December 26, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s perfectly natural for the writers to explore these things after the engagement instead of before. Barney knew he loved Robin and wanted to be with just her for the rest of his life, but knowing and doing can sometimes be two different things. Obviously he thought he was ready or he wouldn’t have proposed, but I’m sure Barney’s not the only guy out there to question if marriage is really what he wants. The kid issue should have been discussed before, but does Barney even know?

Comment by Mary – December 26, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So if John Lithgow is returning, how about his wife Cheryl (Last Man Standing’s Nancy Travis)? Would there be problems with her being on an ABC show? And what of Barney’s step-sister Carly, she has been the best candidate for “The Mother” since “Legendaddy”.

With Robin’s father, I hope Ray Wise returns again because he was so much better than the previous Robin Sr and RW can do “menacing” every bit as good as JL from Dexter S4.

Comment by Scott – December 26, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ray wise woukd be back as her dad they might or already have worked out a deal with him

Comment by ollie – December 26, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really? How much more time is it going to take before treating women as chattel is going to stop being “an important step?” Particularly for an independent woman like Robin? Why not go the whole hog and make Robyn give up her job and live with her parents before getting married? And what happens if Robyn’s dad says no? The couple just doesn’t get married but it’s perfectly fine for them to live together without her parent’s permission? Relentlessly hanging on to traditions that had a totally different meaning/reason in days of yore just means we are never going to move forward. We’re in the 21st Century for god’s sake!

Comment by Romy – December 27, 2012 01:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The writers have confirmed that barney and robin do get married so people do not need to worry about that.i think someone says something or does something that makes robin realize that she needs to tell her dad,she needs to sort out her issues with him but she does not want him to know that barney purposed just before they gt bk together,and maybe barney sticks up for her and she finally realizes that barney is all she needs and no longer wants her dad to be proud or something.

Comment by Rachel Hartlebury – December 27, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a feeling that Carter and Craig will have the mother reveal at the end of this year. The simple reason is that it would be the perfect cliff hanger. What would be better then having all of us fans talking all summer about the mom. And also the fact that Ted meets her on the day of the wedding. Put two and two together and you get the season eight finale. What else would this years season finale be other then Barney and Robins wedding. I wonder if Josh will get his way and the mother will be played by a unknown actress. As a fan of the show I didn’t become a fan of the show because I wanted to meet the mother I became a fan because I loved the characters and I still do.

Comment by Ian – December 28, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The writers have said that the Series Finale will be Barney / Robin wedding. So they are cutting it fine for Teds daughter to be born in 2015

Comment by Gee – December 29, 2012 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Me too :)

Comment by Rachel Hartlebury – December 28, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is what i think will happen, on the wedding Ted will meet 2 women. He will start dating one leading us to believe shes the mother..but the mother will be the other woman the friend and they will end how i met your mother with revealing that end of season 9

Comment by n – January 4, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • there has to be a twist the way the writers think.

Comment by n – January 4, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as always ,im just going to enjoy the show while it lasts and i am sure that it will be amazing ,barney and robin will be happy,they just need to talk through some stuff that’s all.

Comment by Rachel Hartlebury – January 5, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kevin, Robin’s ex-boyfriend, plays on Harold and Kumar with Neil Patrick Harris who plays Barney.

Comment by Lily Auldrin – February 16, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Jason quitting?

Comment by Lily Auldrin – February 16, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No he isnt :)

Comment by Rachel – February 17, 2013 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about episode “Something old”? Why we saw Ted who knows Robins’ feelings better than Barney? It could be a big problem.. And, frankly, I don’t want Barney to married Robin. :(

Comment by AnnaWaitforitStinson – May 15, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post