HIMYM Boss Previews the Challenges Facing Robin/Barney -- Including One 'Very Scary Guy'

The Final Page, Part One And TwoHow I Met Your Mother‘s Barney and Robin took a big leap forward when the former bachelor popped the question to his ex-girlfriend. But just because they are headed to the church doesn’t mean the former commitmentphobes will be doing a complete 180 when the CBS comedy returns on Jan. 14.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Renewed for Season 9 After Jason Segel’s 11th-Hour Reversal

“They haven’t changed who they are as people,” maintains executive producer Carter Bays. “There’s more to [commitment] than putting on a ring and being engaged.”

For the resident cad, in particular, there’s “the fact that this is it for him,” Bays continues. “He’s got to hang up his spurs and go off the range. No more one-night stands for Barney. He loves Robin enough that it’s worth it, but we’ll see him grapple with that.”

RELATED | HIMYM Boss on Robin and Barney’s (Happy?) Future, Ted’s ‘Regrets,’ Season 9 and More

Among the other challenges ahead for the pair: Moving in together – there “might be” an episode about that monumental step, says Bays – and facing the parents. (It seems Barney forgot one very important, not-so-little step before he proposed.)

“Robin’s dad is a very scary guy, and Barney has not asked his permission yet,” Bays previews. “That creates a little mission for Barney to convince this guy to let him marry his daughter.” And with a wedding being “a natural time for the parents to come out of the woodwork,” the writers have “a few ideas for some fun stuff to do” with the introduction of Robin’s never-before-seen mom.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on HIMYM‘s Robin Sparkles Return!

Marriage also brings up another significant family topic for the reunited couple: Kids. Barney in the past has expressed a desire for some little ones, but Robin doesn’t want and can’t have children. So how will the two – and the show – handle her infertility and their differing desires?

“We’re still sorting out how we deal with it,” admits Bays. “But that’s an issue that’s going to have to come up. It’s going to have be a part of what they talk about.”

One thing is clear: Things can’t stay exactly as they are now that Robin and Barney are engaged. As they merge their lives and get used to the idea of forever, “There are some fun, little changes that they’re going to have to make to their personalities and how they operate,” the EP notes. “And that’s not going to be easy necessarily. Like with all things that are worthwhile, it’s a lot of work. But ultimately, they’ll be better people because of it.”

1. AJ says:

I really hope they can bring back John Lithgow’s Arthur for a couple of episodes. I really loved him as Barney’s dad.

• AJ says:

I mean Jerry. I was thinking about a complete different father Lithgow has played :)

• Azerty says:

Funny fact: Courtney Hill played John ‘Trinity’ Lithgow on Dexter but she also played a one night stand for Ted a few years ago (in Naked Man if I remember well). So in a twisted, mix up between HIMYM and Dexter, Ted slept with Barney’s sister^^.
        (btw: I totally agree, John Lithgow must be back, at least for Barney/Robin’s wedding).

• AJ says:

Haha, think you mean Courtney Ford, she played Christine Hill. Messed it up just like me!

• Azerty says:

Oh yes you’re right! I just found out she also played in a lot of other series (Grey’s Anatomy, The Big Bang, NCIS, etc.).

• Jenny says:

Am I the only one who can’t look at Lithgow the same way after watching him play Trinity? It’s hard to see him play Barney’s dad. All I see is a serial killer now!!!

2. Vic says:

To sum up this article: “We are going to drag out this relationship and the wedding for an indefinite amount of time until CBS pulls the plug on our show”….

• Hannah says:

Have some faith Vic! :D

• Jenny says:

They don’t necessarily have to drag it out. I trust that whatever the writers decide, I wil enjoy. I can’t really doubt them after that amazing proposal!!! I still watch at least once every day!!! :D

• JeniLee says:

Amen to that. Couldnt have said it better!

• liddad says:

Uhhhh, have you not read any of the news on HIMYM? Season 9 is the last season. No matter what.

• RJ says:

For some reason I thought the same thing. I think they will have him back for the wedding because the mother will be Barney’s sister that we haven’t met yet. That’s my opinion.

• shuayb says:

How could the mother be Barney’s unseen sister because when we were introduced to Rachel Bilsons character, future Ted said that the mother was her room mate which he was more interested in. If Barney at all knew about his sister he would have known that.
        I hope that she isn’t.

3. sasha says:

ok I like barney & robin together but it’s not THEIR show! Lily/Marshall and mostly are completly sidelined! It’s annoying! The mothing thing doesn’t progress and I don’t want a season 9 without knowing who is she and a sl for them! enough of BR, the last seasons was about them! I understand why Jason didn’t want to come bacl (till $ & surely they told him it’ll the last season)
    Plus the show is not as funny anymore! I still watch by habits and because I want to know who’s the mother

4. shay says:

I like barney’s proposal even it was in a manipulative way before the big moment but my favorite proposal was Grayson for Jules in cougar Town with Ed’s Sheeran musica! AMAZING, the show is so underrated

5. you know says:

I can’t wait to meet Robin’s mother,and I bet she’ll be making some moves on Barney!Lol

6. justsomegirl says:

I’m a little worried for B/R. I don’t want episodes like Bagpipes or worse, The Rough Patch. I can understand they still have some issues to resolve before they can make it to the alter, but I really want to see them being affectionate towards each other. I’m also worried what things they had to shift so they can use the full s9. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy about the extension, but would they break up B/R? God I hope not!

7. Me says:

The writers know what they’re doing. I am looking forward to the other half of the season. Seems promising. It’s no surprise that the main focus is on Barney & Robin now, because Ted will actually meet The Mom at,or after, their wedding. + the last ep kind of ended on a Ted note.

8. Gizmo1492 says:

The article points out all the things that bother me about the preview. These all seem to be issues the writers should have had Robin/Barney tackle before the two got engaged.

Yes, stuff like forgetting to ask Robin’s dad has potential to be hilarious, but the rest seems like simple stuff that should be running through a person’s mind before saying yes.

• Mary says:

I think it’s perfectly natural for the writers to explore these things after the engagement instead of before. Barney knew he loved Robin and wanted to be with just her for the rest of his life, but knowing and doing can sometimes be two different things. Obviously he thought he was ready or he wouldn’t have proposed, but I’m sure Barney’s not the only guy out there to question if marriage is really what he wants. The kid issue should have been discussed before, but does Barney even know?

9. Scott says:

So if John Lithgow is returning, how about his wife Cheryl (Last Man Standing’s Nancy Travis)? Would there be problems with her being on an ABC show? And what of Barney’s step-sister Carly, she has been the best candidate for “The Mother” since “Legendaddy”.

With Robin’s father, I hope Ray Wise returns again because he was so much better than the previous Robin Sr and RW can do “menacing” every bit as good as JL from Dexter S4.

10. ollie says:

ray wise woukd be back as her dad they might or already have worked out a deal with him

11. Romy says:

Really? How much more time is it going to take before treating women as chattel is going to stop being “an important step?” Particularly for an independent woman like Robin? Why not go the whole hog and make Robyn give up her job and live with her parents before getting married? And what happens if Robyn’s dad says no? The couple just doesn’t get married but it’s perfectly fine for them to live together without her parent’s permission? Relentlessly hanging on to traditions that had a totally different meaning/reason in days of yore just means we are never going to move forward. We’re in the 21st Century for god’s sake!

12. Rachel Hartlebury says:

The writers have confirmed that barney and robin do get married so people do not need to worry about that.i think someone says something or does something that makes robin realize that she needs to tell her dad,she needs to sort out her issues with him but she does not want him to know that barney purposed just before they gt bk together,and maybe barney sticks up for her and she finally realizes that barney is all she needs and no longer wants her dad to be proud or something.

13. Ian says:

I have a feeling that Carter and Craig will have the mother reveal at the end of this year. The simple reason is that it would be the perfect cliff hanger. What would be better then having all of us fans talking all summer about the mom. And also the fact that Ted meets her on the day of the wedding. Put two and two together and you get the season eight finale. What else would this years season finale be other then Barney and Robins wedding. I wonder if Josh will get his way and the mother will be played by a unknown actress. As a fan of the show I didn’t become a fan of the show because I wanted to meet the mother I became a fan because I loved the characters and I still do.

• Gee says:

The writers have said that the Series Finale will be Barney / Robin wedding. So they are cutting it fine for Teds daughter to be born in 2015

14. Rachel Hartlebury says:

Me too :)

15. n says:

this is what i think will happen, on the wedding Ted will meet 2 women. He will start dating one leading us to believe shes the mother..but the mother will be the other woman the friend and they will end how i met your mother with revealing that end of season 9

16. Rachel Hartlebury says:

as always ,im just going to enjoy the show while it lasts and i am sure that it will be amazing ,barney and robin will be happy,they just need to talk through some stuff that’s all.

17. Lily Auldrin says:

Kevin, Robin’s ex-boyfriend, plays on Harold and Kumar with Neil Patrick Harris who plays Barney.

18. Lily Auldrin says:

Is Jason quitting?

19. Rachel says:

No he isnt :)

20. AnnaWaitforitStinson says:

What about episode “Something old”? Why we saw Ted who knows Robins’ feelings better than Barney? It could be a big problem.. And, frankly, I don’t want Barney to married Robin. :(