Will All My Children and One Life to Live Return from the Dead? Burning Questions Answered

ROGER HOWARTHOn Jan. 13, it will be a year since One Life to Live signed off of ABC. And All My Children has been gone even longer. But in either case, did anyone see a body? Hmmm….

As first reported by our sister site Deadline, Prospect Park, the entertainment production company that sought to keep both of the aforementioned soaps alive online but ultimately had to put a pin in that plan, is again looking to revisit Pine Valley and Llanview.

Because hopes were raised only to be dashed the first time around, Prospect Park is laboring to be more “cautious” and keep its cards close to the vest, until the cameras are all but rolling, a source familiar with the situation tells TVLine. That said, some information is emerging about this latest rescue effort. Here are some burning questions we tried to get answered.

WHERE WILL THE SOAPS SHOOT? | Again, Prospect Park is not confirming any of the latest buzz, but TVLine hears that some of the details first reported by the online magazine Soap Opera Uncensored are accurate — including that both AMC and OLTL would shoot new episodes in a Stamford, Conn. facility shared by Maury. (I used to commute into New York City from Stamford — Go, Westhill Vikings! — with AMC vet David Canary, so maybe this new scenario could lure him back in front of the camera?) At the time AMC signed off, its production was based out of Los Angeles, while OLTL had moved into its sister soap’s digs on the Upper West Side of Manhattan (which are now being used by the syndicated Millionaire game show). I’m hearing that irresistible tax incentives led Prospect Park to set up shop in Stamford, which is less than an hour from NYC.

WHAT WILL THE NEW EPISODES LOOK LIKE? | Again, Soap Opera Uncensored‘s info seems solid, that AMC and OLTL would each produce four half-hour episodes a week, plus a recap episode every Friday.

WILL A NETWORK BROADCAST THE EPISODES AFTER THEY RUN ONLINE? | Such a “dual window” scenario — in which, say, a cabler airs the new episodes at some point in time after they have streamed online — of course remains the ideal. That said, Prospect Park’s focus (and its forte) is to make the reborn serials “appeal to the plugged-in audience” that would and could consume them online ASAP (via The Online Network).

WHICH ACTORS WOULD RETURN? | At the time of Prospect Park’s original fall 2011 overture, more than a dozen OLTL actors — Erika Slezak (Viki), Kassie DePaiva (Blair), Michael Easton (John) and Melissa Archer (Natalie) included — were on board to go online, while Cameron Mathison (Ryan) and Lindsay Hartley (Cara) were among the few AMCers locked in. Who’s willing (or able to) nibble now? AMC frontwoman Susan Lucci has been contacted, Showbiz411.com reported, though she is currently committed to the 13-episode Lifetime drama Devious Maids. OLTL‘s Slezak made no mention of the new Prospect Park buzz in her just-issued Christmas letter to fans; instead, she opined, “I truly believe that ABC has realized what a terrible mistake they made in canceling both [shows].” I’m told that cast members who were not contacted before the holidays may get felt out early in the new year, though as a vet of one of the two soaps told me, “We are all waiting to get some hard facts.”

WHO WOULD BE RUNNING THE SHOWS? | Daytime Confidential reports that former AMC producer/writer Ginger Smith is being eyed as that sudser’s new showrunner and that Prospect Park likely will tap and promote an OLTL vet to helm that reboot. One Life’s most recent boss, Frank Valentini, is now running things (quite successfully) at ABC’s General Hospital, where three former Llanviewers — Easton, Roger Howarth (Todd) and Kristen Alderson (Starr) — now call Port Charles home.

HEY, SPEAKING OF GH: WILL TODD, JOHN AND/OR STARR HAVE TO LEAVE PORT CHARLES? | Here’s where things get tricky. My understanding is that Prospect Park, having made a new deal to license the soaps (after the rights reverted back to ABC this fall), owns the characters and thus has “right of first refusal.” Meaning, if they want Todd Manning back in the “new” Llanview, they get him. (Whether Roger Howarth in turn is obligated to make the move along with his character is unclear.)

IS IT TRUE THAT AMC WILL COST MORE TO RESURRECT? | Soap Opera Uncensored cited the licensing fees for each of the soaps, indicating that All My Children will cost Prospect Park $500,000/year more than OLTL — even though the latter had better ratings at the time of its demise.

SO, IS THIS REALLY GOING TO HAPPEN? | Again, everyone is treading extra-carefully this time around, knowing from past experience how many ducks need to line up in a row. What’s different now, however, is that Prospect has inked deals with both the DGA and SAG-AFTRA, Deadline reports, eliminating two of three major hurdles (the third being the WGA).
Plus as AMC favorite Michael E. Knight (Tad) noted during a recent “Martin family reunion” with Michael Fairman/Soap Opera Sociliate Productions, if anyone can do it, Prospect Park can. “They realize there is a market for [AMC], and that the Internet is the way to go. These guys connect the dots,” he observed. “The flaw [a year ago] wasn’t theirs; it was the rest of the industry not being up to their vision. I wouldn’t count these guys out.”

Are you being cautiously optimistic, ABC soap fans? And if AMC and/or OLTL do get revived, who do you think are the must-have actors/characters from each?

1. I wanna get OLTL back but… sigh. I need Robert S. Woods to sign to be happy about. And in general not getting my hopes up.

• justusnurses says:

I would like to see PP reserect AMC and OLTL into one hour long show and bring all of the available characters that we love so dearly, back into that one show.

I miss my shows so much! I’m not sure that I would tune back in if I had to deal with a bunch of other actor’s playing my beloved characters.

• Katherine says:

I agree I wont watch “all my children” if they don’t use the real actors. Must have Susan Luci; Cameron Vincent I. T. Kaye; Jason young. Kendal Adam. All of the old cast pleaseeree

• Caseyh says:

it might l as red on extend into longer episodes or more days.

• kay mathews says:

Want ALL MY CHILDREN back !!!!! Don’t need more cooking shows, I don’t watch ABC till 6 now to much crap on there that i don’t care about. Hope this story is true this time.

• martha Evans says:

I want AMC back.”Ihave being missing them sense they went off the air”They are just like family to me and they was company,being watching AMC just a little kid in 69.please bring the team back,if y’all come back on air get TK and Kandall back also

• Jeanne Dunlap says:

I agree. I have not watched “The Chew” once. I am boycotting it. I miss AMC. You are right. There are too many cooking shows.

• Zoie says:

I am so hungry for OLTL and AMC that as long as Susan Lucci and Erica Slezak are back I think I can get into it again. Although there are so many favorites from both shows I’ll still come back.
      Give me Rex for OLTL and Tad for AMC and I’m hooked. I’ve been watching for 40 years and will watch for 40 more.

• martha Evans says:

please bring back our favorited soaps back all their fans have being missing seeing their friends on OLTL & AMC, ,we want the same player’s back, when AMC went off air JR was drunk he had pistol and we do want see what happen like who got hurt, being watching AMC and OLTL FOR 42 would have being 43 years

• Lucy says:

omg they have to have Clint, Jessica, and Tea on oltl. On amc, i will not watch it if it doesnt have Erica, Greenlee, and Kendell.

2. Alana says:

I think this is really great!! I just hope it works, I don’t want my dreams crushed again. If they were smart they would just combine GH and OLTL and have a super soap :) I couldn’t care less about AMC but I do hope everything goes well for One Life

• Jules says:

That’s just a very mean comment. AMC was the first to leave daytime and AMC fans were among the loudest advocating for OLTL. I never watched OLTL but would never say I could care less about the possibility of it coming back since I know it would make a lot of people happy.

• Shannon says:

I’m so happy that they are bring all my Childern back on tv. I miss that so much.
      and same with one life to live. I have watch them when i was a very young age.
      It will feel like my family is comming back again. I want to see more over
      Kendall’s boy’s back. I would love to Lily back on tv. Jack daughter. and Ercia step
      daughter. I want to see Lily and Erica to go lunch and shopping. and I want to
      see Kendall and Lily do thing’s like sister should do. and Lily babysitting Kendall’s boy’s.
      When will All my Childern be back on soapnet? and one life to live?
      Jan. the !-12-13

3. Catherine says:

I don’t care about OLTL, but am very excited about AMC. I’ve watched that since the summer of 1970.

4. Kristin says:

I am so hopeful! I’ve switched to GH since they both went off the air, but I miss them both dearly.

5. Kristin says:

Oh and thanks Matt for having daytime scoop on this page. I love it.

6. Percysowner says:

OLTL necessary characters Blair, Todd, Jack, Dorian, Viki would like Jess, Brody, Natalie Roxy. However, I doubt this will ever really get off the ground.

7. Sheila says:

Todd needs to leave GH. He is reeeeeally annoying!

8. CJ says:

This whole idea is silly: the shows were cancelled because the massive production just wasn’t making money anymore. The audiences had dwindled away to a tiny fraction of their former selves, with no prospect for recovery. Now it’s been a year, the corpses are long buried and decomposing. Even if they’d been resurrected immediately after cancellation, the business model proposed for the new versions is ludicrous–soap opera audiences are among the least likely to switch to an online viewing system.

• Nancylp300 says:

If GH can be saved from the graveyard then so can OLTL (I hadn’t watched the Erica hour in over 20 yrs so don’t really care about that one. I dont know if they will succeed this time but it must be comforting to you to know so much about soaps and what every soap fan would want. PP really ought to contact you before they proceed since you obviously speak for all soap viewers…not!

I will gladly go online to watch my favorite soap and from the looks at the message boards I’ve looked in on there will be a lot of support.

• CJ says:

General Hospital was never cancelled–being not-cancelled after a few rumors circulate is a LOT different from being resurrected a full year after being cancelled. As for people who’ll watch the new shows: message boards aren’t where you should be looking to see if there will be support. That’s like going to a church to see if people believe in God.

• Luckily, this poster does not express the feelings of the majority of soap fans. Proceed Prospect Park, with the blessings of real fans.:)

• Dee says:

it should be and not because of Jason, glad he’s gone. Just because of Sonny, Carly getting away with the things they do. The visions of Olivia, never understood why she’s there.

• angles eyes says:

I THINK THEY NEED TO BRING JASON BACK AND CARLY AND SONNY NEEDS TO GET BACK TOGETHER.THAT IS WHAT MAKES THE SHOW

• dee says:

Please brinh back AMC. It was the best so ever. I always taped tje show until soapnet started ams o watched it every night.

• Rachel says:

for starters, from various sources just prior to, and then after, the show officially ended, oltl was actually GAINING viewers, so cant agree with you that audiences dwindled; maybe with amc, i believe that one, because honestly, i myself lost a lot of interest because of the writing over the past few years; some of the storylines were downright absurd..but oltl was gaining in ratings, and viewers; and for the most part, was always better then gh, which happened to continuously be below both amc AND oltl, so im still amazed gh wasnt the show to go; but you cant assume that if this indeed happens no soap fan is going to watch; ive seen groups formed on facebook, initiated by one of the former stars of a soap, stating they would PAY to watch it somewhere, anywhere…online, or whatever. so to say no one will watch, is completely wrong..if there are thousands of people willing to give up cash, uh yeh, id have to say they WILL watch. not too many of the fans have gone away; there are still thousands, maybe millions of people fighting, yes a year later, to get the shows back…so, the audiences never truly dwindled

• CJ says:

The ratings of the shows that are still on the air are roughly equivalent to the shows that were in LAST place 20 years ago. They increase and decrease as things happen on the show, but the general trend is down. The same is true in prime time for the networks, but daytime audiences were always lower.

• Linda says:

I agree I will watch anywhere they put my shows back on and if they think people were not watching they sure did not ask me and probably alot others they were good shows yes every soap had down days on there story lines but then they come back Gh is terrible I agree they should pull that one and Todd and Star And John just don’t fit in at all I hope they are true bring back ANC and oltl and make sure Michael ( Tad) is in

• Dee says:

The actor that plays Starr was so adorable when she was growing up on OLTL, even her teenage years she was tolerable. She needs to disapear on GH. I am so sick of her saying, “Cole and Hope” or “my daughter and my boyfriend” put it to rest. This has been a year. Then she gets in Connie’s face, judges AJ putting him against his real Dad for the mobster. People are sick who judges a drunk before a killer. I simply do not like her on GH they need to send her back to Blair on OLTL online or let her go.

• Sue says:

Really!!! Do you think because we enjoy soaps we are stupid!

• jean says:

I am sorry but what you are saying is a load of crap. Miilions of people watch soaps on devices and computers. We can watch at the times we want, when we want. This is the business model that will work. Soap Opera are just coming back. GH got stronger ratings (and all soaps this year has increased). Therefore the viewers are there and willing.

• Alex says:

“Miilions of people watch soaps on devices and computers. We can watch at the times we want, when we want.” Which is why soaps go off the air… because you aren’t watching the commercials that PAY FOR the shows! What you are saying is the TRUE load of crap here!

• Alex says:

You’re right. The audiences that brought in money were tiny! People watching on stinking mobile devices and that other crap were almost valueless, and most of them are too clueless to even realize this fact. I don’t see that shows doing well if resurrected this long after their cancellations, with probably only a small number of old cast members on board. Who’s going to watch? Hardly anyone! Prospect Park will lose a mint in an embarrassing failure.

• Cathy says:

I agree with most of what you say, though resurrecting a year later makes more sense than the immediate transition did last year, because now PP is free from ALL the cost structures that were burdening the old shows. They can start from the ground up and try to make them on the cheap.

The problem is still going to be that these two brands mean very little to those who are most likely to watch online. My guess is that if this goes forward, the shows will have almost entirely new casts, and last about 13-26 weeks. But it will be an interesting experiment.

9. lll says:

There’s going to be a struggle between GH and OLTL for Starr, Todd and John McBain. Prospect gets first dibs but I doubt GH will hand it over that easily.

10. Kelly says:

I’ll believe it when I see it.

11. april-ann says:

Merry Christmas to us!

12. Coolio Jackson says:

GH could easily do without Star,..the blonde squad (Star, Maxie, Lulu) needs to be thinned out…when I started re-watching GH after many years, I had a hard time telling them apart. The whole Johnny/Carly/Todd/Connie storyline is a snoozefest and could easily be abandoned to get those characters back on GH. And John McBain is only a minor presence so he can go back too. This would give GH more time to focus on Elizabeth, a new and improved Lucky (bring Greg Vaughn back), the Qs and the hospital.

• Emma says:

Sadly, I don’t think that Lucky is coming back anytime soon. Greg Vaughn is now on Days, Jacob Young is on the Bold and the Beautiful, and Jonathan Jackson (original Lucky) is on Nashville. Jackson said when he left again in 2011 that they weren’t going to recast the role again.
      Also sadly, the Qs are a dying breed. There are like 3 of them left in Port Charles.
      But GH could stand to pay more attention to Elizabeth, as well as the rest of the hospital. That would be a vast improvement over the Sonny/Jason/Carly mob squad variety hour.

13. Danielle says:

I know Prospect Park is trying to use AMC & OLTL in effort to goad people to tune in to their new The Online Network, but I think they’re forgetting who comprises the audience. Yes, viewers range from all ages when it comes to soaps, but the major chunk of the audience is not actually part of what would be considered the “target audience.” While many 18-49 year old women tune in, and many younger women than that tune in, a lot of the audience is middle aged and above, and they’re both male and female.

If we add the SoapNet viewership numbers to the ABC daytime ratings then both AMC & OLTL bring in 3-4 million viewers, possibly even more, (that is, in accordance with the faulty Nielsen ratings system which only takes into account a meager sample of all the viewers that do in fact tune in).

Taking AMC & OLTL to air on the internet? They’re alienating the audience, and the ratings will likely reflect that and be a fraction of the 3-4 million they were in the last years on the broadcast network. Soap operas are a very different animal than any other show… The audience is diverse, but there is a conflict between who the target audience is and who a major chunk of the audience really is. Prospect Park is attempting to appeal to a younger audience with this internet move, but they’re going to lose much of the audience if they don’t simultaneously air them on TV. Frankly, it is unfortunate that they’re skipping the happy medium between broadcast network and the internet, which is cable. 3-4 million in ratings? That is an absolute hit on cable. Some cable shows don’t even bring in that many viewers!

I truly hope that they take the cable option more seriously. Or honestly, I hope a better entity gets a hold of the rights to AMC & OLTL this time around. It’s a bit too soon for an internet move. Cable shouldn’t have been overlooked and I hope it isn’t… It’s really too bad Prospect Park couldn’t get their act together last year when they got so much of the OLTL cast to sign on, as well as the great Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati. Uh… They really ruined a great opportunity for OLTL to be brought back full force with a good network. It’s sad that OLTL will never be the same considering it was as its best when it was taken off the air. I truly believe that had ABC been wise enough to bring OLTL back, it would be bringing in Y&R ratings at this point in the daytime alone (we’re talking 4 million!).

• Chicago Dan says:

Danielle is right on target. The 18-49 (and 18-34 segment is about 25% of that total) is very small when you look at the overall soap audience. The beauty of soaps is that you have a broad diverse audience of ages – with men and women watching. Streaming may boost the younger demo, but there is no way that they can capture that big audience. A cable network deal will help. 30 minutes soaps can work – look at The Bold & the Beautiful, which has seen a huge resurgence during the past year and is easily the #2 soap.overall (and many weeks ahead of GH in the demo).

Another thing that is interesting – when these stories come out, there are usually tons of comments. Various soap boards continue to thrive. The audience is there. If this works, it’s not inconceivable that other shows like As the World Turns or Guiding Light could be revived. (The key is bringing in a few favorites and the rest falls in place.) Forget that a couple of years have passed, these shows were on the air for 40+ years and continued to evolve under the “brand” – no reason why viewers wouldn’t accept them again.

14. Angela says:

I still say this is going to flop, and so much so people will wish they’d never wanted their soaps back.

Also that last bit, what on earth is Michael E Knight smoking, yes the flaw was all theirs *smdh*

15. Rebecca says:

Cast that OLTL requires: Viki (Erika Slezak), Dorian (Robin Strasser), Clint (Jerry VerDorn) Blair (Kassie DePaiva), Tea (Florencia Lozano), Natalie (Melissa Archer), Jessica (Bree Williamson OR Erin Torpey), Kelly Missal (Danielle), Jack (Andrew Trischitta), Todd (Roger Howarth), Victor Jr (Trevor St John), Bo (Bob Woods), Nora (Hilary B Smith)…

The “Todds” is where it gets messy: Ideally, both Trevor St John (Victor Jr.) and Roger Howarth (Todd) should have both been signed on– there could have been some fantastic storylines between those two fighting over everything that matters in life… but Roger is on GH now. It’s odd not having such an crucial character to OLTL on OLTL, but on ANOTHER SOAP! I guess they’d be lucky if they could get Trevor to sign on, but I’d be shocked if they could get that done. And, I’d be shocked if Roger moves his life back on to the East Coast for such a risky project like moving the soaps online (when they would have been better off going to Cable).

Another issue is John McBain. He fits in great on GH, but he really should be on OLTL!

Additionally, the Aldersons both moved out to LA , and Kristen is on GH now as Starr. The young scene is equally important to OLTL as the more mature characters. It would be an UTTER SHAME for OLTL to lose the 2 most important characters who make up the younger cast– Starr and Matthew– considering how long they’ve both been with OLTL.

Other characters that OLTL requires: Roxy, David, Shaun, Destiny, Echo (I think she should come back; her character needs to be further developed)…

Max? Cassie? Kelly? Kevin?

A lot of potential… but a lot has been lost because of PP’s inability to do this right the first time.

Truly, I think the leading ladies are the most crucial to the show. The leading ladies are what carry the show. I’ve always seen the leading ladies as the center of the show and their families and friends as the support. It’s always been Viki and Dorian, and I hope it still is, but it would be wise to develop Blair and Tea as the “next generation.” (How great were Tea and Blair on GH?!).

Again, I really think AMC & OLTL should be on TV… not everyone watches their shows on the internet, and not everyone has access to the internet. I hope they get a cable channel to air our soaps.

16. Verna says:

Can’t see how Roger Howarth or Kirsten Alderson could be required to come back on the show – neither signed a contract wuith Prospect Park the first time around. Michael Easton did, but since the show failed in the first attempt at moving it to the internet, it seems that the contracts must be void anyway – otherwise why would they be negotiating with people that signed with them a year ago.

17. Elisha says:

They def should bring them back. Nothing like soaps. All year long-5 times a week. So many story lines and u really care about the characters. I love GH! And want the others back for my mom :)))

18. Steve says:

I dont watch soaps but theres a risk if this goes through that it really will harm the legend of both of these classics. I doubt they will be as good – from writing to production values – of the original. It reminds me of a TV show that goes for that 10th season when they really shouldnt or is cancelled and then shows up on another network for that last season so they can increase syndication money. Let the shows RIP. Stamford, CT offers tons of tax incentives…thats why NBC Universal moved all their (trashy) daytime shows from Maury, Springer, Wilkos etc there. Its all about money people remember?

19. nick1372 says:

It’d be nice to see OLTL back. However, I really want the characters of Todd & Starr and the showrunner & writer to stay on GH. The writing is the best it’s been, Todd is the perfect friend for Carly, and Starr and Michael are great together. McBain should go back, though.

• I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

No way — Carly and Todd just do not work. His one true babe is on OLTL. But, I do prefer John on GH. He and Sam sizzle.

• nick1372 says:

You’re right, Todd and Carly are a terrible couple. But they make good friends. They’re both twisted and a little crazy, but mean well. They can relate to each other. Also, they both need friends really badly. The ideal thing to do is to bring Todd to OLTL for a while & resolve the Victor murder thingy, then bring Todd & Blair to GH.

• Anna says:

Lolz, since when does Carly mean well? When she isn’t chasing after a man, she is trying to ruin someone else. Girl defines self-serving.

20. Britta Unfiltered says:

I was really upset about the cancellation when it happened, but I think I am over it now. I don’t need the shows to come back and I’m not sure if I would watch if they did. It was always a guilty pleasure anyway, and took up way too much of my time trying to stay caught up on. I think I am better off without it.

21. JoAnn says:

I’ll believe it when I see it. That being said the only thing I really care about is that Roger Howarth’s Todd is either on GH or OLTL. I hope PP doesn’t piss him off by forcing him to return to OLTL if he doesn’t want to. I just want his portrayal of Todd to stay on.

22. S says:

Its a risk and I’m sure all the actors will have to think hard about it. I don’t think they’ll get RH but I just can’t see OLTL without Todd and he sucks with Carly. T&B always. John can also go back to OLTL he’s being wasted on GH. Well if this all works out and is true that is lol

• chica7540800 says:

I agree!! I say that all the time, McBain is not being used, it was said that Michael E. signed on for OLTL online, McBain just a better fit on OLTL, more s/l and he socialize more. I hope McBain returns to OLTL, he belongs on there.

23. pam says:

i hope gh keeps john love him and sam together

24. Salem_Stud says:

This is great news and I am starting to actually believe it. OLTL & AMC deserve to be brought back and fans continue to be broken hearted over them ending on ABC..even after all these months. It sounds like Prospect Park put the time into it and are wanting the shows to be successful. The casts will be smaller, but that is okay, as long as the stories are character driven and we have some familiar faces. I am hoping, based on his comments in this article, that Michael E. Knight is interested in reprising Tad for AMC.

25. moshane58 says:

To many different stories.Yesterday an article was about non union writers.Does that mean non union stars?don’t believe if they do have them they’ll be the same.Then they get the rights for ten years.Is thisABC’s last minute effort to get us off there backs.Don’t think so.Still will boycott them except GH.

26. Taryn says:

It’s great news for OLTL if they can get enough faces I loved. It makes me sad that Starr’s OLTL life has already been destroyed by GH I first started watching the show after I saw a promo for her and cole when she was having the baby and now they are both dead :(

27. Cros says:

Not this again. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, let this BS die.

28. Fabian says:

I wish they would resurrect Passions too lol! I’m watching that online right now, and I am really getting a kick out of it! I really really hope AMC comes back though, my mom and I picked up The Bold and the Beautiful now, and it is just not as good. I hope it works out!

29. Jan says:

I will take what I can get. If that means 30-minute shows, then I’m in! I recently stumbled on a rerun of AMC on SoapNet a few nights ago and literally had tears come to my eyes. It’s time for these shows to come back!

30. paul says:

I wish that someone would have come forward and saved CBS casualties Guiding Light and As The World Turns.

• sjc of cny says:

That certainly would be great also along with AMC and OLTL. I am waiting to hear any
      new progress to getting soaps online from Prospect Park. Come on Prospect, give us an
      update; don’t want it to fall between the cracks again.

31. Samiyo says:

I pray that AMC and OLTL will be back. The ABC brand, has always been very special. I think the “Power’s that be” Needs to understand that the FANS had never stopped watching the Daytime drama’s. ABC as well as other Networks have made it so easy for us all to watch the programs. Like Soap Net, The Internet etc. Plus many of us have been watching our soaps by catching the action on DVR, and VCR.

Let’s pray and cross our fingers that Prospect Park will be able to bring back our Soaps/

32. moshane58 says:

Really don’t believe they will be the soaps we like if it happens.Another way for ABC to get soap fans off there back.This article states ABC has the rights back.They are denying it as always.There year from signing was up last July.I really believe ABC is involved in this mess and we will really be disappointed with themDone read an article about non union writers.More likely non union cast to.I ook for it to be soaps in the future with there children grown base upon them and not many of the orginal cast.

33. Pat says:

OMG, not this again. Really? This whole plan sounds ridiculous and destined to flat-out collapse, just like last year. Soap fans should really be careful what they wish for.

AMC and OLTL were no longer making enough $$$ for ABC (a broadcast network), so how on earth are these productions going to generate enough ad revenue from just online advertising (especially w/o a cable TV partner) to offset the enormous costs that they would entail? It just doesn’t add up. Plus, it’s been at least a year since both shows went off and I think that the large majority of casual, mainstream viewers of one or both shows have moved on to other things. Even if a miracle occurred and these soaps actually got going on the internet, I see it being very short-lived. Outside of the titles, the shows will almost certainly be unrecognizable and nothing like what people remember given that they’d be working on such a limited budget with relatively low production values. Remember what Guiding Light looked like toward the end of its run?

At best, these soaps would probably attract 1/10th of the already shrinking audience that watched them on ABC. Plus, daytime soaps skew old and the core audience seems to be among the least likely groups that would ever switch to an internet viewing system.

• Alex says:

I agree. Only hardcore fans will really be interested, and there aren’t many of them out there. Even if the budgets are slashed, the shows will still cost a fair amount to produce, and I don’t see enough online viewers watching to make up the costs. Say both shows also air on TV, though. I still don’t see enough viewers for any network to consider them worth the expense. They will very likely LOSE money.

Basically, many viewers have moved on and don’t care anymore, many older viewers (the core of the soap audience) don’t even go online, and other potential viewers who might care could easily lose interest if their favorite characters won’t be on the revised versions of the shows. I don’t see very many “new” viewers moving in to replace the lost previous audience. This scenario has FLOP written all over it.

• W says:

I’m certainly in the mood for it to happen. I’m recording 3 AMC repeats a night, and 3 OLTL’s every night, so I’m ready.

34. Cassie Hicks says:

I’m really thrilled about the “All My Children”/”One Life To Live” revival. The answer is, the people of “All My Children” that are remaining in there are the only people I’d like to see. Simple as that.

35. Marie says:

I want AMC back on HUGE fan. Just please bring back AMC!!!!

36. Lora Phillips says:

WOULD LOVE TO SEE OLTO AND.AMC COME BACK TO DAYTIME TV. NOTHING CAN FILL THE TIME SLOTS WORTH WATCHING. PLEASE PLEASE
    I DO ENJOY JOHN, STARR AND TODD ON GH.

37. Jim Balzaretti says:

Was the outside prop man for AMC for 30 years. Still don’t understand how this Internet medium translates to daytime viewers… but if it works…congrats. Ginger Smith- good pick. Knows the story line and dedicated. OLL …plenty of talent out there. Carole Shure …best choice. Good luck to Prospect Park for their faith in shows. Is the tax break that good in CT? Do the math and reconsider.

38. I really don’t expect the AMC and OLTL reboots to be like the ones that were cancelled. I think that PP will do what they can to make the shows click and try to follow names and similar story lines from what was happening when the shows ended to tie up some loose ends, but they won’t be the shows we were watching a yr or more ago. First and foremost all the actors/actresses won’t be returning that is likely a given; second, the EP’s and writers will be different and will have different ideas for set and story lines than the writers did a yr ago. Then there is the fact that production costs will have to be decreased from what ABC was spending, so lighting, clothing, makeup, hair, etc. will probably be somewhat different than what we were seeing. Some things can add up to positives and other negatives. It all depends on how you choose to look at it. In the mean time I am going to keep an open mind and wait out PP and see what they have to offer us. Hopefully it will be something we can like and can afford. And this time they will actually end up doing what they are proposing to do and that is getting our old “favorite soaps” back up and running where we can watch them again.

39. dburrows says:

I will watch anytime and any place they put it on. I have missed both shows beyond words and am counting the days until they are back! I would love to see all the faces I have missed so much the past year and hope that they return! I am okay with the ones that have moved to Port Charles staying there, because I am just as loyal to GH as I am the other two. I have watched all three faithfully most of my life and will continue to do so for the rest of it if they let me. Please bring back the soaps ASAP!!!! They have been missed!

40. Lori Rodgers says:

I really hope they bring them back. I miss them soo much!

41. Lori Rodgers says:

I loved John and Natalie. They’ve always belonged together! -_-

42. I look foreward to the reboot of OLTL. I have yet to find anything to replace it, making my afternoons very long. Watching the early morning repeats on SoapNet is fine, but would really like to see some original shows. Good luck Propect Park, I hope you can pull it all together this time–and WGA: give over, we all have to roll with the punches.

43. Holly says:

Please bring them back! They were the only shows I ever watched. I miss them.

• I would love to have two of my all time favorite soaps back on television …Im hooked on my soap net and kids love netflix…adding another bill just to watch my soaps is not an option for our family…I’m hoping soapnet will be an option for us who have grown up with these to wonderful soaps:)

44. chris says:

Have Trevor St. John be in the clinic where Robin was kept. Then that Todd can be on GH. Roger Howorth can be on OLTL. ABC should rebroadcast the online show. People are sick of the cooking and chat shows.. that Park Ave show was a nighttime soap which failed . Maybe it would have had the viewers ABC lost when they cancelled pur soaps. Daytime mistakes made by. ABC had a ripple effect and harmed whole network

45. Carolyn says:

This is great news! I have not watched any of the replacement shows even once and I will continue not to watch. I would prefer OLTL and AMC to come back as one hours hows on TV but I’ll take it on line if I have to. I have NOT missed Susan Lucci and Erica Kane but I’ve missed almost all the other characters.

46. Lisa says:

I want them back on TV, don’t know that I’ll watch online because my internet is very slow. My computer is junk too. We pay for cable, we have like 1,000 channels and not one of those channels will pick up AMC & OLTL? That’s ridiculous. I hope PP at least re-air AMC & OLTL on a cable network in addition to airing them on the internet. Plus, my mom and grandparents definitely won’t watch online… Cable would be best.

47. Michele DelG says:

OLTL was ‘my show’ and is certainly missed. I’m now watching GH, the new blood has made it a great show!! I will also watch the online versions of AMC and OLTL. Can PP make the migrated actors return from the west coast or will they let them ‘guest star’? Will actors who have moved to other networks be asked back, replaced or killed off? Many storylines were wrapped up at the end of OLTL, will there be new characters or are the ones who were able to leave town alive be back in town??? There are so many options. I hope they combine the new with a nod to longtime viewers, and strive to make the show as good as it once was in the traditional daytime lineup.

48. Carol says:

I’ve watched both shows since 1970 and really miss them both so I hope this happens..That said, I think from AMC we need Adam, Erica, Jack, Kendall,Tad,JR,Ryan…OLTL: Vicky,Bo, Clint, Jessica, Natalie, Blair Dorian,Roxy..

49. Robin says:

This is the most amazing news! 2013 is off to a pretty great start. As a college student I know what a strain it can be to keep up with your favorite soap but get I did it and so did my friends. And it’s safe to say we were extremely upset when OLTL and AMC was cancelled. But to get this news now…! Wow! I wish I could work for their marketing team because I surely have some great ideas.

50. Sonya says:

If this once again doesn’t pan out… I don’t even know what to say. While Prospect Park have yet to release a statement confirming or denying the revivals of OLTL & AMC, we pretty much know they are pursuing these projects just from the confirmations of DGA SAG/AFTRA and Vincent Irizarry who signed on to continue with AMC. So, whether or not they release a statement soon, if this doesn’t work out, it will be a major, major let down.

As Danielle remarks above, it’s clear that these soaps are pretty much being used as pawns for their “greater purpose” which is to launch their online network. Originally, PP was only intent on bringing back these soaps so they could use them for this purpose. Now that more entities are interested in bringing back these soaps, they’re choke-holding them so nobody else can have them, as it appears they have more value than they originally perceived. It’s truly unfortunate that they’re not bringing them back for the sake of bringing them back.

I agree that it’s silly to overlook cable. I would hope that they really look into getting these soaps on a cable network as well. I can’t say that I’ll watch on the internet.

While I hope this really works out, I still believe OLTL deserves far better than this half-baked plan. As the saying goes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. OLTL was taken off the air when it was thriving, and it still bothers me that it didn’t get proper recognition.

• My daughter -in-law just told me ALL MY CHILDREN is coming back TV. I had to see it for myself. I still can’t believe it and OLTL. Get CHEW off the air and all the other cooking shows. But it looks like it only going to be on-line??? please NO! This guts are NUT come on Guys you have millions who miss this shows. You were crazy taken them off.