Blind Item: Popular Drama Poised to Break Up Major Couple (and You're Not Going to Like It)

blinditemI hate to be the bearer of bad news just days before Christmas, but this secret has been burning a hole in my pocket for weeks and I simply must get it off my chest.

There’s increasing (read: deafening) buzz that a pivotal couple on a show with a very passionate audience may be going their separate ways by season’s end.

ASK AUSIELLO | Spoilers on HIMYM, Bones, Grey’s Anatomy, Happy Endings, Sons of Anarchy and More!

According to sources, producers of the hour-long drama in question are looking to close out the season with a bang, and they believe splitting up this beloved couple will provide just such a jolt. Additionally, the break-up (which it’s fair to say no one will see coming) would give the series a lot of creative juice as it heads into what could be its final season.

Of course, there are risks — namely, hell hath no fury like a powerful ‘shipper community scorned. And if the separation isn’t handled properly (i.e. if it’s not believable), even non-fans of the lovebirds may revolt.

VIDEO | Spoiler Alert! Dissects the Finales of Homeland, Dexter, Gossip Girl and More!

So, go ahead. Call me a Grinch in the comments. I deserve it. But while you’re at it, try and guess the identity of the twosome who may be spending their last holiday season together. To help you out, I’ve narrowed down the field of possibilities from 143 to just 9 in the photo gallery below. Consider it an early Christmas present from me to you.

• Dave says:

that was my first thought. sucks to think of a week without Bones … but it’s really run its course at this point …

• Carmen says:

I disagree! I hope it’s not them. :-(

• Lauren says:

I disagree, too. I really don’t think it’s them.

• Josh says:

I do…the showrunners are the type to want to have more of a bang then natural character progression…Zach anyone?

• Gorgonzola says:

Hannnah anyone?

• Amz says:

I don’t think it’s them, I think it may be Caskett (My fave couple of the lot) If he’s trying to give clues to who it is not the photos more like what is written then the “hell hath no fury” and not long before this the episode Secret Santa aired.. But that’s just a theory, if we were to just pretend he was just trying to make an impact with words and go with the photos.. Then is it weird there is 2 Grey’s couples and 2 Parenthood ones? maybe that’s telling us something.

• No. Bones is still going strong in my book and there’s plenty of things that still need to happen so I think they could at least (hopefully) go another 2 seaons or more! (:

• KevyB says:

I think “final season” is important here. Bones is one of Fox’s biggest shows so I can’t imagine it’s heading into a final anything. Yeah, ratings are falling and it’s getting old, but all Fox has in the hour-long department are that and Glee, and they had an awful fall, so it’s doubtful they’d be planning on a final season yet. Same goes for the ABC shows, Grey’s Anatomy and Castle. Both are getting old, but ABC had a horrendous fall also, so those are certainly not looking into having final seasons anytime soon. ABC’s Once Upon a Time is too new and buzzworthy also. CBS’s The Good Wife has also plummeted since going to Sunday, so it’s definitely a possibility, but nobody on the planet would give a damn if the not-really-together Alicia and Peter broke up their non-existent relationship. NBC’s Parenthood should be canceled on a regular basis, but its critical acclaim keeps it hanging on and rumor has it it will be back for one season, so that is a possibility. Since Nikita BARELY made it to this season, I wouldn’t think they’d be planning on another, but I think it has been doing better in the ratings. Plus, one more season means syndication. And there has never been a show in the history of television LESS likely to air a wedding, so since they won’t shut up about theirs, it seems like a breakup has been in the works since before Michael proposed. So THAT’S the one I’m going with, even though the “no one will see coming” is more like “everyone sees coming”.

• beckstle says:

Bones would have to renegotiate contracts again to go past nine. It’s likely not cost effective at that point, not for the ratings. If it were doing NCIS numbers sure, but that’s not the case. It’s better to put money into developing new shows than throwing money at a declining one. Look at the history of House.

• Kristen says:

When I read “could be last season” I immediately went to Grey’s – it’s already been said – many times – that next season could be its last. And with that, I’m voting Mer/Der

• Bill says:

My God, is there anything you don’t know? Pardon me if I don’t bow down to your infinite wisdom, but I don’t agree with some of your OPINIONS. I live on this planet and I would like to see Peter and Alicia stay together. Given that the divorce/break-up rate of TV couples is about 90%, it would be refreshing to see one relationship go through hell and survive. And as for Parenthood, I think it is a great show and I hope it isn’t canceled. I think it deals with a lot of crap that families go through openly and honestly, unlike most TV dramas which are about as realistic as reality shows.

• Cindy says:

I don’t see how it can be Alicia and Peter since she just agreed to renew their vows; unless something happens on their wayto (or in) Hawaii; and a tragedy, though it opens the door to a romance for Alicia with someone new (maybe Eli?) would be *very* hard on the kids, though they are almost adults; the show is best when dealing with legal issues, but if it wants to go the “soap opera direction” story lines dealing with Zach and his sister (I can’t remember her name at the moment) might appeal to a younger audience)

• Sara says:

Yeh, Meredith is finally pregnent! But Grey’s anatomy is in their season 9 now, and they have been in a flight, bomb, shooting, bus, cancer, cheating, loosing baby and alot of break ups. Grey’s anatomy is my Life, I hope they don’t stop with a break up between Merder, I would die!
          Instagram: greysanatomylover

• Mitholas says:

• Kristen says:

“Shonda has said that Merder belong together. I don’t think she’ll break those two up again. Marital strife can also provide plenty of fodder for story, after all.”

Whatever! Shonda will break them up then kill one of them. That’s exactly what she does.

• Rose says:

My first thought was Cristina and Owen but Mike said that no one would see it coming. Some people kind of see it coming.

Even though Owen and Cristina have been having a LOT of sex lately, he spent a lot of these past couple of episodes bonding with Alana.

• Jean says:

I totally disagree. I love Brennen and Bones together, but I wouldn’t mind a fight or two to spice things up. I think it is probably time for another Derek and Meridith break-up.

• Lisa says:

They are pregnant, and had tons of breakup in the past, I don’t think it’s them..

• sheeri says:

They are not pregnant and have never really broken up before, because they were never really together till Christina. Both actors have said it is about time to end the show!

• Shay says:

Same here…it wouldn’t be anything new, that’s for sure

• Marie says:

I think Lisa was referring to Derek & Meredith, not Booth and Bones

• TeamMerDer says:

This! It’ not MerDer, They’ve had tons of break ups and disaster things happen to them in the past. Meredith is pregnant right now it’s doubtful that they’ll break up and the fact that everyone assume GA anytime there is a blind item is annoying

• Alie Hunter says:

But that’s the thing. The minute Meredith said she was pregnant I thought, “Oh yeah, she’ll lose it.” I’m not saying that’s what I want, it’s just a recurring pattern with Shonda.

• Jess says:

LOL exactly it’s Shonda :P We expect the worse. Plus, Meredith and Derek kinda broke-up during Zola’s adoption. Doing practically the same thing with this baby, would be repetitive and certainly not get the “creative juices” flowing.

• Maria says:

Brennen is Bones…You mean Booth and Bones

• forg_gay says:

its probably nikita… but Castle and Bones are possibilities.. NO chance in hell Once Upon a time, Parenthood and Greys bcuz next season wont be their last.. On the Good Wife though I think its expected and it doesnt have much devoted fans>

• Theresa says:

I wonder if this will be tied to the comment made awhile back that one of the coupons on Parenthood will have a person cheating on their significant other.

• beckstle says:

Already basically happened and they broke up. :)

• Mitholas says:

I hate the troubles between Sarah and Mark, but I kind of like that, for once, it happened in a way where you can genuinely feel sorry for both the characters. Sarah didn’t *actually* cheat on Mark, but it’s so understandable that Mark doesn’t know what to think anymore.

It’s also time for Drew, Zeek and Camille to get some fresh storylines. Those characters have felt a bit neglected this season.

• Margo says:

This was my first instinct too.

• Emily says:

I don’t know if it’s them. Hart Hanson is cruel, but Shonda Rhimes likes to kill couples, so it could be a couple on Grey’s…and I’m hoping that it’s on Grey’s.

• sofia says:

It was my first thought too and after reading “heads into what could be its final season” that thought became stronger. But also that “very passionate audience” part made me think Caskett, because let’s face it, after the Glee fandom, I’ve never seen a crazier (and I say this in a good way because I’m in too) fandom than the Castle one. I hope it’s neither of them, nor Charming and Snow.

• Templar says:

Since the Charmings and Caskett are the only ones I care about and Caskett aren’t actually “together”, machts nichts.

• Calla Lilly says:

I’ve never seen anyone outside of my own family say machts nichts before. AWESOME!

• scooby says:

Have you been watching this season? Castle and Beckett are indeed officially together (but don’t tell Gates). Ausiello never said married so dating works. It’s also not likely Castle’s last season by a long shot. I’d be surprised if they stopped at season 7 unless Nathan just decides he’s done. If they keep the stories strong and character relationships growing, no reason to think he won’t stick around.

• H says:

The “hell hath no fury” comment about the ‘shipper community has me worried… that’s the title of one of his books that a murder was based on in 1×01 – what brought Castle and Beckett together in the first place. NF did say he would rather leave the show on a high than drag it out, so season 6 could be the last. SK is a Caskett shipper, but Marlowe runs the show and it wouldn’t surprise me if he broke them up.

• Elizabeth says:

That and a recent spoiler said that Stana said about the finale that there are “mini bumps but that there is some high-stakes stuff that will bring them even closer”

• sofia says:

I’m changing my vote. With all the recent events that took place on Once Upon a Time, it totally is going to be Snow and Charming, unfortunately. Not that Booth & Brennan or Castle & Beckett were better options, because NO, that just can’t happen. Booth & Brennan will have the marriage talk once again before this season’s end and I hope in a more serious way that the past ones were, and Beckett is going to tell Castle that she loves him, also before this season’s end. And I don’t watch either of the other shows.

• Midori004 says:

Nahhhh. It says the breakup would give juice to a “creative finale season” or something like that.

Bones probably has two more seasons left, and they were apart for 6 years and did nothing creative, so why break them up now?

Probably that Grey’s show.

• leah says:

It has to be bones

• Chelsea says:

I won’t be Bones. They’ve been renued for season 9 and will most likely go into season 10. Hart said once he gets them together e won’t break them up. PLUS they wouldn’t be able to work together anymore after that. ESPECIALLY since they have Christine. It won’t be B&B.

• Drewer says:

Yeah, my first thought was Booth and Bones, which seems like a terrible idea, because Bones seems like its closest to a likely final season. OUaT is only on its 2nd and has good ratings. Grey’s may never die, Castle still has life left in it, and they’ve only been together for a year. I could be wrong, but I’m not sure Alicia and Peter are solid enough to really have a break up be that shocking. Nakita is another possibility for one more season, but if they are not guaranteed a next season, I can’t imagine breaking them up would be a smart move. And maybe Kristina and Adam, that would certainly be shocking, I just hope its not Julia and Joel, I like them, but they don’t seem pivotal anyway, so I’m not that worried.

• Pearl says:

I just think that after so much, like Max, Haddie, Lunchonette, Cancer, Kristina and Adam are the only couple who would NEVER break up. So, it’s probably them, which I would HATE! But, my money’s still on bones, they have been torubles about their not married status, and the producers said that altough they will mention a marriag,e there wont be a one on this season, so… Probably they.

• BonesForever says:

I don’t think Booth and Bones because Hart had said he had plenty of stories to tell through a Season 10, and he wanted to get to 200 episodes (Season 10), and they are now officially renewed for Season 9. Other than Castle, OUaT, and now Nikita, I’m not really familiar with the others, so I hope it’s one of the ones I don’t know or care about. I abandoned Grey’s a loooong time ago, so I’d be fine with it being Grey’s.

• Mary says:

It’s very clearly The Bonz Show. It’s ratings have fallen quite a bit this season, and it’s getting more expensive to produce. So I’m sure next season will be the last.

Bye-bye, Bonz!

• greysfan says:

My very first thought was Meredith and Derek on Grey’s Anatomy. That is the show that fits the bill for a possible final season. If Shonda did that i would well and truly HATE HER! The only other show on the air that fits the bill is Bones meaning Booth and Brennan.

• Michael says:

Grey’s is not going into its final season. Not a chance. The ratings are still quite strong.

• Bonnie says:

Grey’s is on the decline. The test will be how the ratings fare the rest of the season. Grey’s is on the same path as Desperate Housewives in its 9th season. If the ratings sink to 2.5, season 10 will probably be the last. It’s expensive paying the show’s stars $325,000 an episode with no return.

• cc says:

Greys is the still one of the highest rated dramas in the 18-49 demo. When you add in the DVR + 7 numbers, no other drama can beat in the demo.

• Rob says:

Grey’s may be going into its final season because most of the actors have pretty much expressed a desire to leave the show in the near future, It doesn’t matter the ratings if Ellen Pomeo, Patrick Dempsey, Sandrah Oh, and most of the main cast leave after this or next season.

• Jest says:

Shows don’t only end because of low ratings. The longer that a show is on, the more expensive it is to produce in general, let alone pay the long term cast members. That doesn’t mean that next season will be it’s last, but does mean that your rationality holds less weight than you seem to believe.

• Kristen says:

Exactly! That’s what happened to The Practice – it was number 1 when they cut it because of the expensive cast. Still miss that show!!

• Billie says:

I think Grey’s was included here because there are so many couples & its been around long enough that each new season could be its last. But he chose the only two couples on the show that are actually together. That feels like a scare tactic to me.
        Derek and Meredith already did the – have a baby and break up thing – so I doubt Shonda would repeat that story line.
        And Callie and Arizona spent the first 10 episodes of the season struggling to stay together. I can’t see Shonda breaking them up after spending half of the season showing them repairing their relationship. Plus, with these two, Shonda said she wanted to show that an amputee can be flirty and loving and fun and sexy etc. I don’t think she’d break them up if that’s the message she was going for.
        My money is on the Parenthood couple. Doesn’t Monica Potter’s character have cancer? If you do a cancer break up wrong, you’re definitely going to have some negative backlash. Even from non-shippers.

• BJohnson says:

Oh hell no. I want them married at the end of the year. If it is, I will revolt seriously. LOL

• So says:

Could be Booth and Brennan, but the hell hath no fury bit makes me think it’s caskett, and that really upsets me. They just got together, breaking them up would be a really dumb move. I don’t think castle will be in its final season next season but you never know I suppose. Ratings have dropped a little but it’s still very strong on Monday nights, always the number 1 watched scripted show. Plus all the books, games etc. I know some fans have been really annoyed that caskett has had issues ever since they got together, almost every ep has Beckett being insecure or castles very colorful past coming up. And yeah, I guess it’s frustrating to have to watch every episode with Beckett being insecure. I know a number of folks who have dropped the show because they felt it was repetitiive in terms of the episodes always making Beckett jealous. So judging by this, if it is them, they will just kill the show. 90 percent of castle fans are caskett fans, so ruin that, and the show goes. I know I will stop watching because it wouldn’t interest me to see them dance around each other again, I waited 4 years, now I want to see them grow, not take steps back.

But having said all this, Marlowe isn’t stupid, he should know how the fans feel, and if it is really ending in season 6, then they need time to cover a lot of ground. Possible moving in together, possible false alarm pregnancy, possible engagement, and maybe end season 6 with a wedding. Breaking them up by season end would be wasting good episodes where they can make them grow instead.

Also, does Marlowe plan the season finale so soon? It’s only aired its 9th ep, right now they are throwing ideas for the two parter, so the finale seems a bit far off for them to have their stories outlined right?

• Kate says:

I agree! When I saw “hell hath no fury” ya I thought of castle but then I thought the same as you! I trust AWM and he knows if he split them we would be so mad.. Plus ya he hasn’t started planning for the finale yet

• comzi says:

I agree. It wouldn’t make sense if Beckett and Castle broke up. I mean the only reason Castle has been working with Beckett is because of a possible relationship, so if they broke up there would be no reason for him to continue working with her, hence no next season. So no I don’t think it’s Caskett.

• GoGiants says:

Hope so! Never bought them as a couple. Just because the leads of a show are a man and a woman doesn’t mean they MUST be together. They have ZERO chemistry.

• Bones fans aren’t nearly as passionate as Grey’s or Castle’s. But I don’t think Castle is heading into its last season. Or that it would come as such as shock. It has to be Grey’s. (The other shows don’t have such passionate fans. Maybe Nikita).

• BonesForever says:

Seriously–Bones fans are every bit as passionate as Castle fans, if not more! I would have a total fit if they broke up, but since they are renewed for Season 9, there is NO way they would break up. B&B ARE the show.

• alison@yahoo.com says:

Yeah it’s probably Bones, it fits all the clues. The show is wobbling on its last legs, the writers are clearly out of ideas, just as clearly, the showrunner never wanted them as a couple anyway considering the laughable lengths he went to to keep them during the previous 50 seasons, and the minute you drag babies into a procedural cop show, it’s signals the begining of the end.

• CAM says:

I was thinking Angela and Hodgins…

• Kristen says:

That was one of my first guesses… if I had to pick:
      Nikita – Only b/c I don’t watch this show, but I know it was a long shot for a renewal this season, so I’d be surprised if they got another season after next, if they even get that.
      Bones – I don’t watch this show either, but I know enough to know everyone would be REALLY upset if they split, but I don’t see the show ending soon.
      Greys – I do think they are nearing the end of this series, but Meredith and Derek won’t be split. As for Callie and Arizona, I can definitely see it happening.
      OUAT and Castle – No way it’s either of them, b/c I see them having way more than just one more season.
      Parenthood – Very possible the show is nearing their last season, but there’s no way that Adam and Kristina will be split. I’m not entirely caught up, but Julia and Joel could possibly be it. I would be VERY upset about that, b/c I’ve always felt they were in it for the long haul.
      Good Wife – No one would give a rat’s butt if Peter and Alicia split.
      My money is on either Callie/Arizona, Nikita, or Bones.

• Cros says:

Im thinking Joel and Julia (parenthood)as well, they have never been broken up before and have always been the perfect and Idea couple but this season they see to be cracking under pressure . While they are a fan favourite couple though, I wouldnt say they have a rabid shipper community. So Im not quite sure its them.

My other guess is Michael/Nikita. They seem to suit the CW rabid shipper community that wouldnt receive this news too well.

• Seana says:

it wont be Callie and Arizona because Shonda loves them just as much as Mer and Der and she wants this storyline with Arizona losing her leg to be flirty and loving she wouldnt do that to the millions of Calzona fans out there. She knows if she did that we would not watchGreys and it would defo be in its last seaon which i dont think it is really

• Kristen says:

Do you know how many times viewers have said that? I could go to any Grey’s board in ALL the years past and count how many people claimed they “would never watch again”, that still in fact watch. Shonda might love a couple, but proof is in the pudding that that won’t stop her from breaking them up. However, it has been confirmed that Grey’s Anatomy isn’t the show for the blind item.
          Now my money is either on Parenthood or Nikita or Bones.

• Bea says:

Caskett. They dropped a hint last week when Beckett looked concerned about what she had heard from Castle’s ex-wife.

• Alie Hunter says:

It wasn’t doubt. It was determination. She’s DETERMINED to break down the walls no other woman has.
        Like others said, there’s no show if they broke-up. Castle’s not a cop. He’s there volunteerily so if they break up they wouldn’t work together anymore.

• farsia2010 says:

my thought exactly! i think it is either them or Mikita. MerDer and Calzona are in not danger i think, MerDer has been through everything there is and are together and they already had the break-up drama one too many times and Calzona already played that card with the Africa thing. OUAT is in no danger of cancellation so not them, i don’t watch Castles or Parenthood so can’t judge. i don’t want it to be BB or Mikita but that is all i am left with to think.

1. Nancy says:

I saw MerDer. And I’m all for it.

2. Janey says:

Parenthood or Bones gets my vote.

• M3rc Nate says:

I wouldnt really have a opinion if it was Bones, i dont find them very believable as a couple, shes so cold and clinical that she doesnt come off to me as a very deep character. Parenthood, well i was hoping for Kristina to die, but she didnt so i doubt either will be cheating or breaking up.

I could see it being Joel and Julia, maybe even the cheating..but its all on her shoulders. Im sorry but hes the perfect husband, when anything goes wrong its because of her. So if he cheats and they divorce i find it to be unbelievable.

Lol really? Castle as a option? You specifically say “before their last season” i dont think Castle is ending on season 5 lol.

Btw this better not be so lame ass ploy. They leak and get all hyped the idea of a breakup in a finale then it happens and its :O omg then the next season rolls around and they get back together and repair their relationship.

• SL says:

Brennan, cold and clinical and who doesn’t come off as a very deep character? Obviously you don’t really watch “Bones” since Brennan is all but what you just said.
        She is the one paying for funerals for those who can’t pay (season 1), fighting for foster kids (season 1 and 2), who made herself as a possible suspect to help her father (season 3), who, when an ex boyfriend of her boss was murdered, leaving a daughter, that maybe since she had raised her while they were living together, she could take her home since her mother was already dead and she had no close family(season 4).
        She is the one who would go to funerals just so a mother would not bury her son all alone on a Christmas day (season 5), who would try everything to find the family of a teenage girl who was kidnapped when she was 3 (season 6), the one not judging someone badly because he had done some mistakes as a minor (season 7), the one fighting to get her family back after she was framed for murder (season 8).
        Tell me again that Brenan is cold and clinical!

• Spencer says:

Joel and Julia would be the most devastating for me – he is such an incredible husband and makes her such a better person. I really hope it’s another couple.

• Cros says:

Perfect people dont always stay perfect, an perfect people arent really 100% perfect

3. Dave says:

cue the Grey’s Anatomy fanatics in 3 … 2 … 1 …

4. Chu says:

Calzona on grey’s anatomy…

5. Laurel says:

Aw no, Bones!

6. seoph says:

Two couple from grey’s anatomy, That is crazy, it wont be MerDer but imagine if it was Calzona, that would fit all the clues

• Stacey says:

The fact there is two couples from Grey’s in the list. Ups the odds it’s one of them, right? And one of them is pregnant, so a breakup would be shocking if she’s still pregnant. But would it really bring about massive change to the show for it to be Meredith and Derek. They still have Zola.

7. echox860 says:

Only Bones is what I’m worried about, couldn’t care less about the rest

8. Linda says:

Booth and Brennen?

9. lore says:

If we won’t see it coming, and yet shippers are passionate, I’m going to guess Snow and Charming on “Once Upon a Time”. I could easily see the other couples breaking up for various reasons, or as not having a passionate shipper community behind them.

• Janey says:

Is it likely that OUAT is going into its final season next year? No signs really to suggest that, surely?

• ben says:

Exactly. Snow and Charming are easily the ones that are out because they don’t meet the ‘could be the last season’ test.

• CC says:

HIghly unlikely that OUAT is going into its final season. Its ratings are very good and next season will be only its third season. So Snow and Charming are probably out.

• Except he said going into what might be the final season for the show the couple is on, and no way is OUAT ending next season. I don’t see Castle or The Good Wife ending anytime soon either, and I’m not sure if Nikita or Parenthood will make it to another season, although I admit to not keeping up with Parenthood ratings closely. But I do know Grey’s and Bones might be ending their runs soon, so my best guess is Bones/Booth, followed by the Grey’s couples.

• Megan S says:

Completly agree here!! I think the chances are stronger for the shows running 8/9 seasons than parenthood/nikita both on season 4? Or is nikita 3? OUAT will never not be renewed for at least season 4/5 with some of the best ratings across the board. I think booth and bones would b massive and would make me sad….

• Kendall says:

I thought the same thing. All the original Grey’s cast members signing for two more seasons last spring made most people assume that it’ll be ending after next season. Bones is doing well enough to get another season, but also seems to be running out of steam. The other shows either look like they’re good for several more seasons or would be lucky to make it past this one and most of them don’t have the kind of crazy shippers that Grey’s and Bones do (moreso Grey’s than Bones).

The only reason I’d hesitate to call it for Booth and Brennan is that they already split them up at the end of last season. Sure, it wasn’t a break-up, but it would still seem repetitive.

And Lord help Shonda Rhimes if she breaks up either of those two couples.

• Jessica M says:

I just can’t see them possibly breaking up. They are quite literally soul mates. That fact has been proven over and over again. After all that has happened between them, there just seems to be no way that they would willingly break up.

10. Deb says:

I think it will be Snow and Charming.

11. My guess: Booth and Brennan. That’s the only show on the list I’m quite certain is heading to it’s last season next year.

12. Greg says:

My guess is they are either breaking up Angela and Hodgens, or Booth and Brennan on Bones

13. Fellipew says:

two couples from Grey’s Anatomy joining the list?? oh, god…

14. luli says:

As long as its nos Caskett i’m ok… My guess is parenthood or nikita :(

• A says:

The problem with breaking up Castle and Beckett would be that they’d lose the premise of the show. The whole point of the show is/was that Castle found Beckett interesting and alluring enough to follow around. If they broke them up, there would be no real reason for Castle to stick around the 12th and solve crimes … thus no show.

• Lauren says:

Exactly! I’m not worried: AWM is too in tune with the fan base to alienate the vast majority of them.

• Christy says:

I agree. Would totally remove the entire plot of the show. And even if the breakup was mutual and they remained friendly, Castle has always been there solely for Beckett. The reason just changed from research to like to love. And no matter how amicable your breakup was, you do not spend all day tailing your ex.
        And if this is leading to the final season, they might find out just how passionate this fandom really is. We will bring them a war…straight to their doorsteps!

• Alie Hunter says:

People are already reporting that the next Nikki Heat novel is in the works so I think there’s at least a season 6 in store and it would NEVER work if they broke Caskett up. There are ways to get through troubled waters without breaking up a couple. I’ve always seen that as sloppy and cheap writing. Marlowe spend 81 episodes developing this love story. Why would he toss it in the trash so quickly?

15. CJ says:

Since I doubt OUAT is in any danger of enter it’s final season, that takes out that couple. Ditto with Castle. My guess is either one of the two couples on Grey’s or from Parenthood.

16. john says:

greys? :O

17. pam says:

I’m pretty sure it’s not Mer and Der. From everything that I’ve read, this is a stress free season for them as far as that kind of thing goes.

18. Sandy says:

If no one sees it coming then MerDer on Grey’s are a good candidate. Or Calzona. Don’t care one way or the other but both couples are BORING.

19. Eric says:

I’m guessing Meredith or Derek or Callie and Arizona. The cast reupped for two more seasons, so I’m guessing that next year will be the last. Once, Bones, Castle, and The Good Wife I don’t see ending next year. Every time Ausiello interviews Hart Hanson he always talks about how he plans for Bones to continue. So, I’m sticking with Grey’s. I’m hoping it’s Callie and Arizona because I would hate to se Mer and Der call it quits, especially since she is expecting.

• JT says:

Exactly I watch all the Breakfast with Bones videos (with the showrunners) and they don’ talk about the show like its ending. It isn’t Caskett, Snow/Charming, or Micheal/Nikita. I think it will be one of the two couples from either Parenthood or Grey’s (probably Grey’s). My dark horse though is Peter and Alicia from the Good Wife.

• Alex says:

The Good Wife has been stinking it up in the ratings and will be lucky to see a full season next year. It could well be gone this year.

20. guestofseth says:

I’m going with Derek & Meredith or Callie & Arizona, because it’s the only one there which is pretty much guaranteed another series that is likely to be it’s last. Hope it’s not either but if it has to be one I want it to be C&A

21. Elyse says:

hoping its castle or good wife because I don’t watch those shows :)

• MM says:

You don’t know what you’re missing. Those are two of the stronger shows on the list in terms of production value and writing. (Although Good Wife did go downhill with the Kalinda husband thing– but at least that was dispensed with in a hurry.)

• Joe says:

Honestly Castle is over-rated. When the leads hooked up it was so forced and cringe worthy, the shows definitely gone downhill.

• CaskettRdaBEST says:

Only in your head was that forced. The entire fandom went nuts when Caskett came together (literally). Castle & Beckett have the BEST chemistry on tv at the moment. If that hook up was cringe-worthy, what shows have you been watching so I won’t watch them. The way he threw her up against that door and then they ravaged each other was seriously HOT!

I think it’s between Booth & Brenann and Derek & Meredith.

• Ash says:

Considering it was the entire premise of the show that they’d end up together, I can’t imagine how that’s all that forced. But to each their own.

• Chuck says:

I agree with you.

• luli says:

What show were you watching? Caskett wasn’t force at all. And its not going downhill, season 5 has been a great one!

22. Kate says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t let it be Castle and Beckett.

• TM says:

“…even non-fans of the lovebirds may revolt.”
      Is there such a thing as a Castle fan who is NOT a Caskett fan? Just wondering…Anyway, I think this is a clue that there has been controversy regarding the couple and as far as Caskett is concerned pretty much every fan wanted them together,so…

• Stacey says:

Agreed. But there are non Castle and Beckett fans. But would NON fans revolt if it was Castle or BONES. They might welcome it!

• TM says:

Yeah, I know there are 1 or 2 people that may be non- castle & beckett fans, but the article makes it seem like there was a significant part of the fans of the show (also in his interviews, Marlowe didn’t seem to want to break them up), but then again the ratings haven’t been stellar and maybe that’s what the “final season” comment was about. In Bones’ case, many fans didn’t like the way in which they got together and there are more non-canon fans.It’s also in its 8th season, so I dunno… I hope it’s neither of them, anyway.

• CaskettRdaBEST says:

Even if the ratings haven’t been stellar, Castle is in syndication and is making close to $2M an episode for the TNT reruns for ABC, not to mention the Nikki Heat and Derrick Storm novels. I think it has a good year or two left before it’s over. A lot of shows are down in ratings this season, so I don’t know how to judge what’s coming back or not by ratings alone.

• Chuck says:

I stopped watching Castle because of where their relationship went, so you can’t say everyone loves them together. Then again, I stopped watching, which would exclude from fans, theoretically.

• nakedheat says:

That was my first guess (and my biggest concern because of REASONS) but realistically speaking, it’s pretty unlikely. Plus I don’t think Castle is heading into its final season.

• TM says:

Out of experience with blind items, I have learnt that my first guess always happens to be my biggest concern. Every time I see a blind item about something bad happening my first thought is Castle, because it’s the only show I would mind it happening to(also, when I see a good blind item, but then I have to keep the excitement low, cause I hate false hope)

23. Ashley says:

“Heading into its final season” made me immediately think of either Bones or Grey’s Anatomy, so Derek/Meredith or Booth/Brennan are my guess. I don’t see Once Upon A Time or Castle on the edge of a “final season”. Nikita, while I love it, I don’t think the writers would do that to Michael/Nikita when they’re usually on the verge of cancellation as is (as is Parenthood, isn’t it?). The “non fans may revolt” line makes me think even more about Derek/Meredith.

• ben says:

Yeah, I tend to count out Parenthood and Nikita because they may not be going into another season at all. And Once because it definitely has more than 3 seasons in it. That leaves only 5 couples. Bones, Two Grey’s, Castle, Good Wife. Has to be one of those 5.

I don’t really think Mer/Der would give creative impetus to anything. It’s been done again and again. Also, I have trouble believing that Grey’s fans wouldn’t see anything coming… breakups are always coming on that show. Down to three.

Bones is my best guess, Castle at two.

24. Jj says:

I’m just gonna hope Shonda does not go there – with either couple! I could see Julia & Joel on Parenthood, though not sure if its that passionate a fan base / pivotal couple

25. Lauren says:

It’s not Bones; Hart Hanson has already said he’d never break them up. It’s definitely a couple from Grey’s.

26. Abby says:

I say it’s not Snow and Charming because their more than destined–they’re a creaking fairy tale! Mer/Der have been back and forth so many times it would just be “eh”. Bones/Booth and Castle/Beckett just for together and are just now exploring that angle of story telling so that feels too soon and forced. Sadly, I don’t see Nikita going another season to explore the storyline (love the show! But the ratings have been sad). I say it’s one if the Parenthood couples.

27. Carol says:

Kate and Castle :(

28. Samantha says:

My best guess would be Caskett. Especially since it’s still so early in their relationship. And if it is, Marlowe should watch his back.

• beckstle says:

It’s not Castle. The comment about “getting the creative juices going” ruled them out as Marlowe and the cast all have said how the characters getting together has been like getting a new beginning, invigorated the story with new life and energy, given them more creative room …they aren’t concerned about getting the creative juices going. They also just don’t approach writing from such a plot-based perspective. It’s just not how the showrunners frame things when talking about the show. Bones or Grey’s – they are both very event oriented in their approach. I’d go with one of them. Timeline also makes the most sense – although Grey’s ratings are still high enough that I find it unlikely ABC is looking to end it.

29. Karen says:

OH god please dont let it be castle and beckett or booth and brennan please no

30. Jenna says:

Hmmm I’m thinking either couple from Grey’s. Aren’t they close to approaching their last season?

31. Ariadna Oller Mitjanas says:

The only ones that would make me really angry and sad are Adam and Kristina or Joel and Julia. Please don’t let them break up.

• dee says:

I’m going to freak out if it’s either of them..

• fiyero says:

They were my first thought about “no one saw coming”, but wouldn’t they already be done with filming since it ends in February? Also, I doubt that they have really intense shippers.

• Ariadna Oller Mitjanas says:

Yeah, the season end soon, but maybe that’s exactly why the blind item was posted now, I really hope I’m wrong, the Bravermans have already too much on their plate.

32. Jonathan R Choy says:

i dont think its snow and james

33. Mike says:

Meredith & Derek had their near-breakup when they got Zola, I doubt they’ll go that route twice, and this season has been MerDer at their strongest. I also can’t see Calzona breaking up again, especially given how theyre calling this ‘the season of romance’.

34. Jen says:

I hope it won’t be Snowing :(

35. Ann says:

Wow, the first two couples who came to mind where: Meredith and Derek, Becket and Castle. But Charming and Snow, maybe a possibility too.

36. Persona says:

I think callow and Arizona or Meredith and Derek

37. Chance says:

Clearly it’s either Booth and Brennan or MerDer two shows likely only to have 1 more season that have very passionate followings.

38. Beth says:

I don’t see why P’hood would be entering its final season — it has its highest ratings ever right now.

39. Lala says:

I don’t think it will be Prince and Charming because of this: “Additionally, the break-up (which it’s fair to say no one will see coming) would give the series a lot of creative juice as it heads into what could be its final season.” OUAT will not have its final season next year.

40. Polly says:

if it’s caskett i’ll riot

41. laura meakin says:

My 1st thought was Grey’s Mer&Derek but I don’t care much for B&B so I wouldn’t mind too much if it were them either.

42. Travs says:

Since the articles says it could be the final season, my guess is for Nikita

• Michael says:

Nikita is getting renewed its close to stripped syndication numbers and 1st and sophmore show on the CW is doing about the same what Nikita does on a friday.

• C says:

The article refers to a show that will be renewed and will end after that season. I could see it being Nikita – the demos aren’t that good and it will reach syndication next year.

• Michael says:

C i agree but it only need 11 ep to reach 100 ep also after season 4 that is a much better sell for warner and CW than 88-89 ep

• Shawn says:

A show has to be bought by another network to be put into syndication and I haven’t heard Nikita has been sold to anyone. Just because a show reaches 100 episodes doesn’t automatically make it syndicated. Grey’s is well over 100 episodes and it isn’t syndicated because it hasn’t been bought into syndication.

43. Jake L says:

I think we can rule out Snow and Charming, because the show is heading into what might be its final season next year. Once is only in season 2, and it is a clear hit for ABC, so there’s no reason to think that season 3 will be the end. Even if, like Lost, ABC allows the writers to effectively cancel themselves, it won’t be for a while yet; Lost got six years before the end. I can’t see it being Meredith and Derek because we’ve been through all that before, so it wouldn’t really provide a new creative jolt to repeat what they did before, but Callie and Arizona are a possibility.

44. Alan says:

it definitely wont be castle and beckett since they only just got together. i can see mickey and nikki splitting up because they have written way too happy this season and that just screams something bad is coming but ill say its booth and brennan because they are definitely reaching final season territory

45. Sid says:

I think it could be either The Good Wife, Parenthood or Nikita.

46. Brett says:

It’s gotta be either MerDer or Calzona. None of those other shows look to be heading in to their final season, except maybe Bones.

47. Nicole says:

I hope it’s “Mikita”…I’m one of the few who likes them better when they are apart. Season 1 with all that will they-wont they tension was fantastic!

48. Beth says:

Also, do the P’hood couples actually have “shippers”? All the couples are married with kids and have been since the series began.

• Sam says:

Yeah I really don’t think it’ll be Adam and Kristina. Especially after last weeks episode. I can sort of see it being Joel and Julia but even that is a little unlikely to me.

• Alan says:

important rule about shippers: if two characters breath they are shipped by someone, somewhere; hell ive recently seen a character being shipped with himself s everything is possible in their crazy minds

• ctemd says:

I was going to say, can any of the parenthood couples be considered popular as the show sadly has such a small viewer-ship?