Report: How I Met Your Mother Renewed for 9th Season After Jason Segel's 11th-Hour Reversal

Get More: News, Renewals

How I Met Your Mother Renewed Season 9Don’t go eyeballing that booth at McLaren’s just yet, because Ted, Barney, Robin, Lily and Marshall will be back for another round.

After what is being described as a last-minute change-of-heart by How I Met Your Mother regular Jason Segel, CBS, 20th Century Fox TV, series creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas and the entire cast have reached a deal for the sitcom to return for a ninth season, our sister site Deadline reports.

The reported agreement comes in the midst of the final season of HIMYM‘s licensing deal with CBS and the last year of the current pacts for Carter/Bays and cast members Segel, Josh Radnor, Cobie “No S.H.I.E.L.D. for Me Yet” Smulders, Alyson Hannigan and Neil Patrick Harris.

Neither CBS nor 20th Century Fox TV immediately responded to TVLine’s request for comment on the report.

Segel, as had been suspected, was the lone holdout among the ensemble, Deadline says, as his film career becomes more flush — and until today he had in fact decided to walk away from the show, leaving it “literally dead.” But, a source tells Deadline, “he just got turned around … at the last second.”

When TVLine spoke with Bays just last week, he said everyone was “right in the middle of” “white-knuckled, nail-biting” negotiations. Though he was unsure if there would be news to report prior to the Television Critics Association winter press tour taking place in January, he said, “We’re all very confident it will work out.”

With CBS giving up some ground on Mondays this fall — due to problems with the 8:30 time slot and facing formidable competition from a solid Voice and the buzzy Revolution (which combined to score NBC regular wins) — securing HIMYM for another season was a priority for the network.

Comments (232)

• They probably threw some money at him.

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – December 21, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably?

Comment by Jerri – December 22, 2012 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Honestly, as long as they can keep up their quality, I don’t care how long the show goes on. It is so great and I laugh every single episode. As long as that continues, I don’t care who Ted’s wife is!

Comment by Pablo – December 24, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed! I love the characters so the mother is really that important to me.

Comment by Jenny – December 24, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • well good for you that you laugh, some of us stopped after the 3rd season

Comment by Keira – January 9, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • how could you?!?!?! for shame

Comment by Ben – January 14, 2013 08:59 AM PDT
          • Agree, it’s still good at times, but it’s gotten stale. The Robin/Barney thing was drawn out too long and frankly by the time they were together I wasn’t rooting for it anymore. They’ve had to do increasingly awkward gymnastics to get the show’s continuity to work (like the Robin/Barney wedding), and the humor isn’t what it used to be.

The writers are great, the actors are great, but we’ve had eight years of the thing. The right time to end was probably in season 7 or so.

One thing that might work is to introduce the Mother at the end of this season, and have the next season be about them falling in love or getting together. Some way for the show to reinvent itself and get into some fresh material.

Comment by asdf – January 17, 2013 02:24 PM PDT
    • Yes, this is how business negotiations generally work…

Comment by Brooke – December 22, 2012 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s definitely gonna be “Legen….wait for it… Dary :) ” I feel sorry for Ted’s kids.. They will have to little longer now..

Comment by Girish – December 22, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who cares? We know Mrs. Mosby is Barney’s sister.

Wait for it……

(I love this show but….enough dragging it out. Give us the mom this year and let next year be about the courtship, fitting in with the group and getting married!)

Comment by Bruce Wayne – December 24, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It is does not have to be Barney’s sister because he met her at the bus stop after the wedding, not at the wedding itself. So the mother does not have to be related to Robin or Barney.

Comment by Libi Boroda – January 8, 2013 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • they do not need to say who mother is but how the pineapple got there

Comment by liam cole – January 13, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • They will probably say who the mother is at the beginning of the 9th season, to keep the viewers for the new season.

Comment by chris – March 2, 2013 08:06 PM PDT
    • In eight years where did it state Ted was actually the father of the kids? Nowhere. We all assumed it by Ted addressing them as “Kids…” For all we know, he could be a neighbor, an uncle, a friend, or whatever to those kids. Now rethink the story line on the basis Ted is NOT their father and it all makes sense! He marries Robin of course.

Comment by Pierre J LeBel – January 14, 2013 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, there is an episode that confirmed he’s their father. It’s the one about Barney’s perfect week. At the end of it, he asked them ‘Am I a bad dad?’ for telling that story.

Comment by Danny H. – January 14, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, this too.

Comment by Lizzi E. – January 14, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was thinking this too so I went back and looked.There have been a handful of times where the kids have referred to HIM as dad though.

Comment by Lizzi E. – January 14, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My god…you make a great point!

Comment by patrick – January 23, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is true but he did say when he has kids he s going to tell them everything on how he met their mother, I believe he said that the episode where he found out his parents were divorced.

Comment by Barney Stintson – January 23, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very first episode of the series “back before I was dad” that makes it clear that he is the dad right from the start.

Comment by Joanne – January 24, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “how i met your MOTHER”.

Comment by -.- – January 27, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Simple idea for those talking crap on this show. Stop watching!!! The reason this show is still on the air is because people like myself who still enjoy the show keep watching. And apparently so do the people who don’t like it. Otherwise it would’ve been canceled by now.Im not a fan of any of the other crap that CBS airs, so guess what? I don’t watch it. Damn people are thick these days

Comment by jb – March 27, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to change the name of the show. I recommend, “How I Beat It To Death”!

Comment by TV Gord – December 21, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A thousand times this. ^

Comment by Jim – December 21, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A million times this. Please end this show before you kill it anymore. And for God’s sake tell us who the mother is.

Comment by sarah – December 21, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • At this point, I don’t know if I even care who the mother is. I’m so tired of it.

Comment by Rach – December 22, 2012 04:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • At this point, I assume that Ted never actually got married and just adopted his kids. :-)

Comment by Jacqueline – December 22, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • then stop watching it u haters

Comment by josh – December 22, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I did, after season five.

Comment by Bro-tainment Consultant – December 22, 2012 07:51 PM PDT
          • I did stop.

Comment by Kim – December 22, 2012 09:24 PM PDT
          • I second, third, fourth, fifth etc times this.
            Haters gonna hate eh.

Comment by Lizzi E. – January 14, 2013 05:57 PM PDT
          • These people claimed to of stopped watching the show years ago but are on a thread about the show. I don’t read stuff that doesn’t interest me. I don’t go on web pages about My Little Pony because I don’t watch it nor do I care about anything related to it, I stopped watching that YEARS ago when I was a kid. Obviously we have some people on here with no life.

Comment by U_Dont_Know_Me – January 30, 2013 10:16 AM PDT
      • who cares about the mother I want to know what Barney works in….

Comment by Carlos – December 22, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Come on guys… The show is a complete entertainers.. its not just about the mother, its how the group spends their time together.. Enjoy those moments

Comment by Nick – December 22, 2012 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • True that. I just can’t understand why there are some who’d even bother to waste their time commenting about how they hate the sitcom. Seriously, you guys. Go get a life and pick on someone of your own kind. Some people are just attention-seekers.

Comment by Krista – December 25, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you for making this point clear, we needed to make this clear.
          From the start of the show, I didn’t ever want to know the mother only because I don’t want the show to end.
          I wish this show would continue on forever.

Comment by How i met your mother fan – January 25, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe that’s the problem. They only focused Ted. So, other people doesn’t care about the stories of the rest of the gang. If the show made it look like a story about all of them, the show won’t have haters. Those haters will also care about the lives of Lily and Marshall and how Robin and Barney got together.

B the W, screw you haters. HIMYM is a legendary show. Your eyes don’t deserve its magnificence. I’m sorry if you can’t appreciate how well-crafted the stories are, how awesome the cast is and how great the creators are for making it air for 8 years or so. Thus, you have a ridiculous taste in entertainment for you can’t appreciate HIMYM. :P

Comment by Helen – April 16, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t care how much they have beaten it to death…this show is FRICKIN HILARIOUS!!!!!

Comment by Ken – December 22, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A thousand times agreed! This show is one of the best on tv and if you do not like it then stop watching and stop commenting!

Comment by lou – December 22, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree……

Comment by Rahul oliver – December 28, 2012 01:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • iFive, Bro! I totally agree!!!!

Comment by Jen – January 27, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • iFive up top, Bro!

Comment by Jen – January 27, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hell yeah. I don’t even care how long it takes for him to tell the story. May there be five years or more. (But we all know that won’t happen thanks to the stupid itch-bays who doesn’t know how to appreciate the fantastic show.) I don’t care if it takes him so much longer to reveal who the mother is. Hell, I don’t care the mother is. The show is already amazing and continues to be. The creators are really great for making such surprising stories. (That’s why I love it. They just kept making stories that are unpredictable.) They are consistent. And for all those who are bashing on the show, this kind of criticism is what you you’re missing. You’re just all about, “WHO IS THE MOTHER, bleh”. Oh sure they named the show “How I met your mother”. Can’t you take a hint from the start that that’s not what the show is only about? You just kept on complaining and complaining and blah blah blah. Maybe that’s the one mistake of the show. To name it : “How I met your mother.” But that mistake against their wonderful creation? Right now, I don’t care who the mother is. I just want the show to make more and more episodes and more stories we can reflect on. Yah, that’s right, it’s not only about the funny stuff and the amazing surprises, they have some brilliant realizations in life. That contributes to history and the way a person thinks and lives. Just because it’s a sitcom doesn’t mean it can’t do that as well. And all the haters, after some good laugh they’ve provided you and are continuing to provide you, this is what you give to them? Laughter does more than what you can think of. What, you think it’s that easy to create a masterpiece such as HIMYM? And I just hate the fact that you people are rushing so much to meet the mother when meeting the mother means the end of a legendary show.

Comment by Helen – April 16, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m sorry. *WHO THE MOTHER IS.

Comment by Helen – April 16, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen! Please just put it–and all us former die-hard fans who can’t bear to watch it anymore–out of our misery.

Comment by linda2009 – December 22, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • die-hard? You already quit!!

Comment by Abishek – December 22, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Which is why I qualified it with “former.” The definition of die-hard is “One who stubbornly resists change or tenaciously adheres to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.” I used to feel that way about this show–I loved it no matter what. I WAS a die-hard fan, till I finally got tired of being jerked around. It happens.

Comment by linda2009 – December 23, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m pretty sure “former die-hard” is an oxymoron.

Comment by OMED-Josh – December 24, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they bring it back to the way it used to be. I mean, if The Office can do it, this show should be able to too…

Comment by Babybop – December 21, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the office has only gotten worse and worse since the second season. Its literally one of the worst shows.

Comment by Joey – December 21, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wouldn’t say it’s the worst but it’s seriously declined in quality. This current season is just ok, a step up from the previous but not spectacular. It and Gossip Girl are baffling me because the stories are so pointless for a final season!

Comment by Sam – December 21, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Gossip Girl is over, FYI.

Comment by Jess – December 22, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glad I’m not the only one who’s noticed a serious rise in quality for The Office, despite loads of silly viewers signing off because Steve Carrel is out.

Comment by Mitholas – December 22, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the office has been great this year. it definitely struggled to find its voice after steve carrell left, which is understandable, but this year has been really solid. it is definitely going out on a high note. as a long time fan I am so happy to see it ending this way.

Comment by murley – December 22, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Office was never funny. It was and is a pointless show.

Comment by Isaac – December 23, 2012 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully the ninth will be the final season, instead of Two and a Half man and drag on forever

Comment by Mare – December 21, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From all accounts season 9 will be the last.

Comment by Adam – December 21, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited. I hope we get to see Ted fall in love with the mother and see Barney and Robin as a married couple.

Comment by jacqi – December 21, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!!

Comment by Bre – December 21, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. I really hope we don’t just meet the mother in the series finale, I mean after 8 seasons I feel like the audience needs to get to know her at least!

Comment by jenna – December 21, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? This is something I always assumed we wouldn’t find out until the finale. They’ve always made a big deal out of NOT letting us figure it out since episode one. I don’t know why this bothers people so much.

Comment by Jules – December 21, 2012 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I can tell you why I hope they introduce Ted to the Mother at the end of this season and use the last season to show leading up to their wedding. I personally think Ted is at his best when he is in love and in a committed relationship. I like to see Ted like that, and I would rather have the show’s creators fudge with the premise of the show rather than put up some stupid roadblocks for yet another year on why Ted hasn’t met her yet.

Comment by LaShawna – December 21, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • here here… I agree. I would love to have him meet her at the end of this season and work their way up to the wedding the next season. To all the haters: This show is fricken Legend….wait for it…. dary… So if you don’t like it, move on to the next page of bitching for the day. Super excited they have another season coming. :D

Comment by Erin Michele Grossbach – December 22, 2012 08:33 AM PDT
        • I agree. I always kind of thought the mother herself isn’t what’s important, but rather Ted’s journey to finding the woman he would marry. I figured we would meet her in the finale and have maybe a scene or two with her since who she is isn’t really that important to the show.

Comment by Spencer – December 22, 2012 02:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree to a point, Spencer. I know it’s a show about five friends living in NYC and about Ted’s JOURNEY to finding the woman he would marry and it’s not actually about the mother. And if Ted’s journey had not already taken nearly eight years I would agree completely. But it has been dragged on so long now that I don’t think I’d be interested enough to watch yet another season of the same old same old. That is why I think it’s time Ted (and we) finally at least meet her.

Comment by april-ann – December 22, 2012 09:15 AM PDT
          • even i agree its not like the show is called how i met,fell in love and married your mother

Comment by anonymussharma – December 23, 2012 04:58 AM PDT
          • i hate these comments that stress what the title of the show is. you know it wouldnt be the first show that carried on after its title stopped accurately describing what was happening, just look at buffy the vampire slayer that kept its title long after buffy started having sex with vampires instead of killing them

Comment by Alan – December 23, 2012 05:15 AM PDT
        • Exactly, think about Ted’s taste in women. With the exception of Robin they have all been really terrible. Victoria (Shrew), Stella (Harpie), Zooey (Crazy), and Karen (raging bitchburger) do you really want to risk it with the mother? I’d much rather meet her in the very last scene of the very last episode. That way I can just assume she’s the anti-Zooey/Karen/Stella/Victoria.

Comment by Ari – December 22, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Even Robin was totally wrong for him in just about every way.

Comment by Rachel – December 22, 2012 10:13 AM PDT
          • Rachel, that’s true but at least Robin wasn’t annoying to watch. Who didn’t count the minutes until Zooey was gone?

Comment by Ari – December 22, 2012 01:17 PM PDT
          • I want to know if they are ever bringing Phoebe and Monica back?

Comment by Bro-tainment Consultant – December 22, 2012 07:59 PM PDT
      • it would be very anti-climactic if they DIDN’T wait until the finale to reveal her!! It would piss people off if she was in every episode of the finale…it’d be like “meh….that’s it??”

Comment by Ken – December 22, 2012 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • final season that is.

Comment by Ken – December 22, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What if viewers don’t like the mother though? It will be just another thing to complain about and “I’ve wasted ? years of my life” will be an overused comment.

Comment by Zerb – December 22, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve wasted [nine] years of life on this stupid show only to find out that [Barney] wasn’t important, not to find out who was shooting from the outrigger, and that they were “dead the whole time”? Is that what you mean? ;-)

Comment by Jules – December 22, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • THE BLITZ!

Comment by Hurley – January 7, 2013 10:59 PM PDT
        • Lol I’m afraid viewers won’t like teds wife after all he’s been with some pretty good looking girls.

Comment by Solomon – December 30, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, and I hope we meet the mother at this seasons end, if they hold out until next year to meet the mother I quit! We deserve to see a season with the mother!

Comment by Drewer – December 21, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ya I honestly I watched the first seven through a span of two weeks via Netflix instead of seven years like most and even I would be disappointed if in season eight Ted doesn’t meet his bride

Comment by Solomon – December 30, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be honest, I would love to see the inside of Barney’s life more than anything :O

Comment by Nick – December 22, 2012 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s probably why Segel changed his mind. One more season to end it properly. Hopefully they’ll do it by having Ted meet the mother by the end of this season and the next/last one is how she fits amongst the group.

Comment by Evan – December 21, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m guessing Segal changed his mind for one reason and one reason only: money. And, *maybe* peer pressure, haha.

Comment by fiyero – December 22, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well yeah. He had to be pulled away from making all those box office smash hits with promises of a lot of money. Cuz, I as I said, his booming film career is.

Comment by JB Smooove – December 22, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is great!! I love this show and will enjoy the journey until the end. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for our favorite gang and I can’t wait to meet the woman who finally makes an honest man out of Ted!

Comment by Tiera – December 21, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now if we can just meet the Mother at the end OF THIS SEASON and just let Season 9 be AIMYM, then everything “should” be ok. Otherwise…NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!

Comment by Anonymous – December 21, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nah, they should have season 9 still be HIMYM… “How I Married Your Mother” :-)

Comment by Liz – December 21, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I see what you did there ;)

Comment by jenna – December 21, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • At the wedding have Ted meet 2 or 3 ladies. Let him say one of them is the mother, without saying exactly which lady is the mom. Next year have him choose from the 2/3. Best of both worlds.

Comment by Patrick – December 21, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You don’t watch the show much, do you? Ted doesn’t meet the mother at [Barney & Robin's] wedding, he meets her the DAY of the wedding. Actually, after the wedding takes place. We saw the moments leading up to when he “meets” her already, in the season 8 premiere (at the Farhampton station). CB & CT have confirmed this: http://tvline.com/2012/09/24/how-i-met-your-mother-season-8-premiere-post-mortem/

Comment by Liz – December 22, 2012 09:25 AM PDT
      • ;D YES!!!!

Comment by Erin Michele Grossbach – December 22, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so conflicted. On one hand this show has had more bad episodes than good episodes for a long time now, but on the other hand they give episodes like this past one with the proposal. Maybe now that Robin and Ted and Marshall and Lily are together we can finally focus on Ted and the mother. After 8 years I will obviously stick with this show, but I am going to be so upset if they just string us along for another season without telling us who the mother is, and then tell us the mother in the last minute of the show. If they only have 36 more episodes left, because of the 12 this season and the 24 next season, then they really have to focus. I am definitely mixed on this.

Comment by Stacie – December 21, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The proposal and most stuff leading up to it was pretty awful. If I have to hear Robin scream something about Patrice again I may just stop watching there and then. Probably the one good episode this season was Marshall’s trial.

Comment by SR – December 23, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for a 9th season and hope it means Ted meets the mother at the end of this season so we get to see their relationship over the course of next season, which I assume will be the last one.

Comment by MG – December 21, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, I just wish they would introduce the mother already. This has become one of the most frustrating shows on tv.

Comment by James – December 21, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very happy but my only hope is the 9th year would be a complete mother season. Forget changing the name of the show… we want to see how the mother is the love of Ted’s Life. How incredible woman could be for Ted and the gang, and of course the last two slaps.

Maybe if you want to hear Bob Saget’s voice saying “And kids this is how i met your mother” in the final episode, the producers maybe create an story-arc about how Barney, Robin, Lily and Marshall will meet the mother before Ted.

After the last episode, I want to see Ted with the mother of his children fallin’ in love, breakin’ up, back together and finally they get married.

Comment by Fernanda – December 21, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes to everything you just said!

Comment by Laura J. – December 21, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah ! and also like in season 4 episode 13 he says the 5 things every man says those 5 words and 1 of them is i’m gonna win her back and he hasn’t said it till now

Comment by anonymussharma – December 23, 2012 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • not all of the things he said were featured in episodes though, most of them were just to serve the joke as far as i remember it so there is a good chance that that has nothing to do with teds future

Comment by Alan – December 23, 2012 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great points. These a key details Ted mentioned about the mother (I want to add the school bus).

Barneys dad mentioned that his half-sister, Carly, was studying at a university. When Ted was a professor, he mentioned that the mother was in a classroom (I think it was the Econ class). If the mother is the gal at the train station, she wouldn’t be a “stranger”. I could imagine a conversation in which they’d both recall Professor Moseby’s sheepish moment. Ted could also learn in early conversations that she was

One far stretched possibility could be:
      * Barney-Robin get hitched

* Ted-mother (train girl/university student) get hitched and have two kids

* Barney dies (Ted ponders the familiar coincidental irony from his favorite book)

* Ted ends up with Robin, when she becomes available again, because he’s always loved her. ( the kids always feel more comfortable thinking of her as aunt Robin, because she’s not their biological mother).

Comment by Johnny Madrigal – January 5, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show jumped the shark 2 seasons ago. A shame, since I loved the show.

Comment by Livia – December 21, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I say three seasons ago…

Comment by KND – December 21, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really hope season 9 is the last. It should also be the season we finally see the mother!

Comment by Laura J. – December 21, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney and Robin wedding this season finale, Ted’s wedding next season finale. The ‘mother’ should be getting pregnant sometime around the end of the ninth season anyway to have Ted’s daughter from last season on time :)

Comment by loa6746 – December 21, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could totally see Ted being the kind of guy who meets “The One” and marries her within 6 months and has a honeymoon baby.

Comment by Ari – December 22, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously enough already have Ted start dating the dam mother and have season 9 be about them dating. No one really care anymore about how they met. Ted is probably the one character this show can go on without at this point

Comment by gary – December 21, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How I MET your mother..MET…this show has been great….but now it’s just won’t end….All shows end, the best among them know when to end, while still good…This show has turned into How I Chased your Aunt for Some Reason for 8 Years only to Meet your Mom, or Not this Year or next or lord knows when….As someone who has loved this show from the Pilot, just end it already, you took a good idea for a show and turned it into a Fox sitcom…

Comment by Michael – December 21, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • more like how i met your MOTHER, not how barney and robin got together, how lily and marshall broke up, got married and had a kid. Really the show should be called the adventures of 30-something friends

Comment by J – December 21, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you.. these past few episodes especially the last one felt like the end.. other than Ted not meeting the mother yet everybody has got to the top.. even Ted himself at least professionally.. this is the time to end the story and not just for Ted but for everybody.. another season would just ruin it.. I love the show but I wish Jason hadn’t come aroud

Comment by oren – December 22, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They absolutely, absolutely better not drag out the wedding past the end of this season now. Let it happen, let us meet the mother. Let us see Ted with the mother.

Comment by Jerry – December 21, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good show, good cast, good writing, good news.

I’ve got the confidence they could pull off a year with Ted and his fiancé/wife. Show title or no title.

Comment by John – December 21, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m am very excited about this news, even though I agree with many of the complaints this season, my main concern with this season being the last is that the ending would be rushed, and now since there will be a 9th and final season, there will be no need for the ending to be rushed, and maybe we will be able to get a little of Ted falling in love with the mother.

Comment by Mike – December 21, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so damn happy! No amount of complainers can spoil my mood right now. I was so, so, so sure I would go on the computer next month, go on this site, and read “8th Season Confirmed to Be Last of HIMYM”, I was just so sure that it would be. I was on the phone and as I was reading this article, I was smiling like an idiot. I am so excited! Thank you, thank you, thank you CBS and JS for turning around at the last minute. Thank you! First the beautiful, amazing proposal and now THIS? Best Christmas EVER!!!!

Comment by justsomegirl – December 21, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I said to my family, “Christmas came early HIMYM was renewed!”. I don’t care if 9 is the last I’m giddy with joy.

Comment by Mike – December 21, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope your family was too. I told my brother in law, who got me into this show in the first place, that HIMYM has been renewed and he was happy too. So glad I won’t have to say goodbye to this show anytime soon.

Comment by justsomegirl – December 21, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still think Ted and Robin should’ve gotten married. I don’t even care who the mother is since it’s not her.

Comment by Sophia – December 21, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • blegh

Comment by Emma – December 22, 2012 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m one of the few people who agree with you, Sophia. In my opinion, Ted and Robin have tons of chemistry; Barney and Robin have none. I didn’t mind their first try as a couple, but once they broke up that should have been it, even if she never got back together with Ted. It’s like Carter and Bays are trying to shoehorn in a relationship for Barney and Robin just to please the shippers (and I’m not saying she should end up with Ted. I just don’t think Barney and Robin work as a couple). I’d rather the writers do what they want to do, not pander to the fans (and I include me in that).

Comment by linda2009 – December 22, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, that should be “Carter Bays is trying to shoehorn…” I do actually know he’s only one person. :)

Comment by linda2009 – December 22, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

One far stretched possibility could be:
      * Barney-Robin get hitched

* Ted-mother (train girl/university student) get hitched and have two kids

* Barney dies (Ted ponders the familiar coincidental irony from his favorite book, Love….Cholera)

Comment by Johnny Madrigal – January 5, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • if that happens ill feel very cheated and will make the entire journey to the mother pointless, in fact i think that could be the worst situation that the show could end with

Comment by Alan – January 5, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • NO the worst ending could be that Ted’s wife is dead you only get to see a picture of her or brief peek at her.

Comment by Barney Stintson – January 5, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They better deal with what happen after he meets the mother pretty soon because the 8 year tease is wearing thin.

Comment by BrianR – December 21, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s only natural to continue a successful and well-liked show like this. Let’s be honest, the show isn’t really about “how I met your mother.” Never has been. That said, it is also only logical to bring mom into the storyline soon. Glad it will be back, because I really like these characters, and I will miss them when it is over.

Comment by Steve H – December 21, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am pretty surprised by this news, it seems like not too long ago I read NPH said the cast was all hoping this would be the last season because they are all ready to move on to other projects.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 21, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They better freakin’ introduce the mother in the Season 8 finale and make season 9 about her and Ted. 8 years of stalling is more than anyone can take.

Comment by AcE – December 21, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. But I have a terrible feeling that they’re going to change the season 8 finale to yet another tease instead of actually introducing the Mother as they planned when 8 was going to be the final season. It’s getting ridiculous, and yet I still watch out of loyalty to the show that USED to be my favorite comedy but sadly has gotten very long in the tooth.

Comment by Mikael – December 24, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a huge himym fan but come one this just isn’t right. They have spent so long setting it up for this to be the last season it just needs to close while it’s in its prime.

Comment by Ashton – December 21, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE to know what they promised Segel to get him to sign.

Comment by lariet50 – December 21, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1.25 million per episode

Comment by Gem – December 22, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Up until this past Monday night, I was content to have HIMYM end this coming May (season 8). I felt the storylines had played themselves out. But then I saw this past Monday night’s episode [The Final Page], and it really hit me, and I changed my mind. Now, I believe a season 9 could be fantastic. In the interview that Carter Bays gave to TVLINE earlier this week, he hinted that Ted may not take well to the news of the impending marriage of Barney and Robin. In addition, Marshall has always been pulling for Ted to end up with Robin, while Lily has pulled for Barney and Robin. And we know that just prior to her wedding, Robin asks to speak with Ted. There are some serious (and potentially funny) storyline possibilities in how these five friends deal with the life altering effects of the Barney-Robin wedding that’s coming in the May season finale.

The dynamics between these five friends have the potential to be completely uprooted during the final 36 episodes of this series. A great acting challenge awaits NPH – his Barney from now on will no longer be the free-wheeling ladies man we all know and love. Neil and the writers will have to make the careful adjustments to ensure Barney can make that transition from ladies man to Robin’s husband. And how will Barney deal with the inside-knowledge that his best friend Ted is probably still in love with his future wife? How will Ted adjust to the new Barney-Robin tandem, and how well will Robin get along with the future Mrs. Mosby, particularly if the future Mrs. Mosby turns out to be very similar to Robin? There are a lot of good stories left to tell.

Thank you Jason – I know you may have had to ‘take one for the team’, but we all do appreciate that decision! A nice holiday gift to HIMYM fans – the best is yet to come!

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – December 21, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOO. I’ve liked this show for a long time, but it’s TIME TO END. Plus, I want Cobie on SHIELD.

Comment by Ace – December 21, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great great great news! I just hope they let Ted meet the mother this season finale without revealing her face and next season would be how he finally find her again in the big city like New York!

Comment by Para – December 21, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they wait another year to show us the mother, I will do like so many of my other friends and say goodbye!

Comment by Terry – December 21, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes. Yes yes yes. I am so unbelievably happy. As someone who began watching the show at thirteen, I am so glad that I will be able to go into university with these characters who, as lame as it may sound, have become like good friends.

Comment by Eric – December 21, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has dragged on for too long. 8 seasons and no mother yet. May the 9th season be the last!

Comment by B – December 22, 2012 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not all that happy about this. The show has been going down hill and this season has been awful. I was hoping I would get to say goodbye without giving up on it.

Comment by Ainav – December 22, 2012 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please, just meet the mother this season finale and the next season should be Ted’s road to fall for her and win her as she becomes the love of his life.

Comment by Martim – December 22, 2012 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you guys are probably right.. season 9 must be for Ted and the mother, and he would meet her by the end of this season because season 9 will end in may 2014 and we know that the daughter exists in 2015 so they would need some time to date for a while, get engaged, plan the wedding and of course 9 month pregnant.. we also know that he meets the mother on Barney and robin’s wedding day so if they got engaged just now it wouldn’t make sense that they get married only in may 2014 (a year and a half from now)..

Comment by oren – December 22, 2012 03:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IT SHOULD BE THE STRIPER FROM THE FIRST SEASON!! :D

Comment by Anthony – December 22, 2012 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is plain awesome! :)

Comment by A. – December 22, 2012 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG Yes- I totally agree- we need to meet the mother this May and then season 9 is about how they met and married–PLEASE HIMYM writers- please get this one right-
    The Final PAge was so exciting and I felt we were finally back on track- I cried my eyes out to have to say goodbye to Ted and Robin (I am team ted) but I also cried for Robin and Barney finally getting it together in the right way– until then I was just rolling my eyes everything Robin and Barney did this yo-yo-ing about their relationship- finally it surged forward and they both grew up.
    But god it was painful to say bye to Ted and Robin- I loved Marshall actually revealing that he’s team Ted/Robin and I loved Ted saying, “what the hell is wrong with me?” that was just plain real life dialogue- hitting your head against the same wall and your friend even telling you to still keep doing it in the name of love…

anyway—
    I felt so excited at the end (after crying my brains out) that finally Ted realized that he would really WANT robin to face up to what’s in her heart and be with the man she wants. He literally pushes her there which was painful to watch but actually amazing.
    I would only have wanted Robin’s “yes” to have a bit more gravitas considering the roller-coaster they’ve been on…but that’s just a detail..

PLEASE HIMYM make season 8 finale be RObin and Barney’s wedding-
    Maybe Robin teeter totters and confesses her love for Ted- (any doubters, check out “No Pressure” at 19 mins in when Marshall tells Robin that Ted’s “at peace with it”)– and maybe Ted finally has a chance to asses this once and for all- after all, in 8 seasons Ted has chased RObin, Robin has NEVER declared her love all-out for Ted- and maybe then Ted Realizes he actually doesn’t WANT robin even if she wants him.
    And Robin comes to her senses and marries BArney-
    and Ted recovers from the “crazy day” and meets the mother at the train station…

Season 9 – they meet, they fall in love, they marry.
    Season 9 finale- Ted’s wedding to the mother and….

…a “Six Feet Under” montage of how their lives played out–

and maybe Robin and Ted end up together later in life…. (sorry I’m a die hard fan and remember how all the kids drawings feature them with Aunt Robin?- where’s the mother? maybe she died or divorced ted….)

Comment by Danielle – December 22, 2012 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

anyway—

PLEASE HIMYM make season 8 finale be RObin and Barney’s wedding-
    And Robin comes to her senses and marries BArney-

Season 9 – they meet, they fall in love, they marry.
    Season 9 finale- Ted’s wedding to the mother and….

…a “Six Feet Under” montage of how their lives played out–

Comment by Danielle – December 22, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just want to point out something about the drawings. Ted is also not in any of the drawings with the kids either. So maybe Robin just takes them out whenever Ted and the mother want some alone time.

Comment by justsomegirl – December 22, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s a really good point– damn!

Comment by Danielle – December 23, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You bring up some very interesting points – the idea of Ted telling his kids about how he met their mother might indeed be something he might do if his wife had somehow passed away – a long shot, but possible. We’ll need to let Carter and Bays work this all out, but what you noted has crossed my mind. It would make for a fascinating season 9.

Bottom line – the casting of Ted’s wife for the final season (I do believe she’ll be in the cast next season 9) is going to be one hell of a casting job. They need to get this right – find just the right actress – someone who can hold her own with Robin/Cobie. To make this all work and be believable, whomever that women under the yellow umbrella is, she needs to be someone Ted would become interested in during a short period of time…who better than someone similar to a woman he already loves – someone like Robin. My vote – Erica Durance (Smallville, Saving Hope). Very similar background to Cobie in where she grew up, age, appearance – she reminds me of Cobie – a good actress whose done series work before. She could step right in – I don’t know if she’s still working on Saving Hope, but I think the shooting schedules for both shows would work okay since Hope is a summer series. If Carter/Bays are reading these blogs, hey guys, consider giving Erica a call :)

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – December 22, 2012 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ooops – I meant to say ‘Carter Bays and Craig Thomas’ – not Carter/Bays.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – December 23, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy about this it’s the second best Christmas present ever. First being BR being back together and engaged and then this. I’ve always wanted another season there is a lot of potential for season 9.

Comment by BRLove4ever – December 22, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this show started out hilarious. my favorite show. now it is so lame. should never have introduced marvin into it….and I cant believe season 9 is even a debate…YOU NEVER TOLD US WHO THE MOTHER WAS IN SEASON 8 IDIOTS…please end the show before you kill it more

Comment by lovesflame777@hotmail.com – December 22, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone else notice that they have used different “kids” that are showed briefly and periodically sitting there listening to “Ted” tell the story of how he met their mother because the story has dragged on for so many years now? :-) just sayin…

Comment by Ken – December 22, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They haven’t used different kids… they use stock footage of the “kids” from 7 years ago. I think “kids” are in their mid-late 20s now…

Comment by Wayne Cochran – December 22, 2012 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I read once that back in 2006 they had already shot a scene with the kids for the final episode because they knew they’d get older by now

Comment by oren – December 22, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yeah the showrunners were crazy prepared there, they shot a scene or two with the actors way back at the beginning of production for season 2 that they could fit into the eventual mother reveal

Comment by Alan – December 22, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anyone who noticed it is seeing things just like you lol

Comment by Jest – December 22, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooooooo! Please let this show die! Everyone can do so much better.

Comment by April – December 22, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised. Honestly, I love the show and I still think that there’s more funny and heartwarming moments than there are sad. I feel that, from the producers’ latest interview, if it hadn’t been renewed the rest of this season would have been rushed. So, I guess I’m happy!

Comment by fiyero – December 22, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The mother is Barneys sister who Ted met on the wedding of Barney and Robin. Case closed.

Comment by ezekielrage – December 22, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …except that we know for a fact that Ted does not meet YM at the wedding, but at the bus stop.

Comment by fiyero – December 22, 2012 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And the fact that Ashley Benson is expected to play the Barnacles sister, and she and Ted interact in a February episode.

Comment by Mike – December 22, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, sorry but the Bus stop is from the wedding so it counts^^

Comment by ezekielrage – December 25, 2012 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last five minutes of this past week’s episode made up for the meandering, irritating season thus far, but INTRODUCE THE FREAKIN MOTHER ALREADY.

Comment by Morgen – December 22, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • End it properly like the “FRIENDS” series. Don’t leave us hanging with questions, give us closure. It’s a great show and I hate to see it end as a “flop”

Comment by Ramil – December 22, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s the whole point of the news. Next season is definitely its final.

Comment by Guy – December 22, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HIMYM should Go on forever and ever.

Comment by ILHIMYM – March 16, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post