The X Factor Season 2 Finale Recap: On With the Show...This Is It? [Updated]

x factor season 3 top 3Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain of chest hair — or the Neilsen ratings, for that matter — The X Factor is the biggest singing competition in the world!

It’s got its own season-finale red carpet filled with teenagers who will keep screaming in the hopes that they’ll achieve their lifelong dreams of seeing their own faces on network television and a bunch of production assistants dressed up to look like paparazzi.

Paid spokespersons Khloe Kardashian and Mario Lopez feed you a heightened and interminable stream of verbal signals to reinforce the message. There’s Mario, in the same voice he’d use to announce the arrival of the next ad break or the Mayan apocalypse, informing us that one finalist “will be named the winner of The X Factor and walk away with a five-million dollar recording contract and a whole new life!” (Uh-oh, if Tate Stevens wins, what does that mean for his devoted wife and sweet children?)

PHOTOS | The X Factor: The Inside Story on Season 2′s Wildest Production Numbers

There’s even a special Twitter hashtag to celebrate the occasion: #OMGXFFinale!

Yes, reality TV fans, The X Factor is so hugely important that at this very moment (and as the opening credits like to remind you), it is hurtling toward the surface of the planet like a glowing X-shaped asteroid, ready to unleash an earthquake that measures One Direction on the Richter scale.

carly rose sonenclar mario lopezSo since we may not have much time left to live, shall we get to the results?

Third place: Fifth Harmony (Anything could happen, but unfortunately it did not. However, we’ll always have “Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Ooh-oo-ooh!”)
Second place: Carly Rose Sonenclar (Cue Britney’s cold hand, slipping off her protege’s shoulder. “Get yourself to the X Factor house, pack your belongings, and go…home,” she hisses, somewhere in my imagination.)
Winner of Season 2: Tate Stevens! (apparently they weren’t making up the X Factor Leaderboard results all season!)

Is it weird that the act with quite possibly the least amount of the show’s titular mojo — the guy from the dreaded Over 25s that L.A. Reid did not want to mentor — took home the big prize? Yeah, maybe a little — especially when you consider that he was essentially the same artist coming into the competition as the one who got his confetti shower tonight. (Okay, maybe he’s got a little more stage presence, but that’s about it…)

On some level, though, Tate’s win says a lot about what Americans look for in a reality singing competition. They don’t care so much if aerialists hang from the ceiling or confetti rockets explode in the foreground: First and foremost, they want to vote for someone who sings well and doesn’t need Auto-Tune (major labels give us enough of the computer-dependant nowadays), who seems like a nice person, and who might not be otherwise have a chance to get signed to a major deal. Add in a compelling (but not overly maudlin) backstory — Tate worked hard and postponed his dreams for his family! — and you’ve got yourself an almost unbeatable combo.

No, Tate isn’t really “current,” but current’s just another word for “Ke$ha,” isn’t it? And while it seems highly unlikely that the dude will end up being as big as Garth Brooks or Kenny Chesney or even Rascal Flatts, I suspect he’ll do well enough on the charts in 2013 that X Factor can tout his win without any embarrassment when it returns for Season 3 next fall.

Anyhow, let’s turn our attention to the evening’s seven performances* — a lineup that seemed completely oblivious to the fact that plenty of genuinely talented people were initially part of the Season 2 Top 16. Why we didn’t get at least a few seconds of Lyric 145 or a group performance from Demi’s trio of divas or a simple Beatrice Miller or Sister C sighting is as mysterious to me as Simon Cowell’s failure to use the buttons on his shirt or Khloe Kardashian ODOM (her emphasis, not mine) donned a black rubber minidress for the midsection of the show. (*The Voice had 13 musical performances on Monday in the same two-hour span.)

* Tate, Carly and Fifth Harmony: The Beatles’ “All You Need Is Love” | Maybe it was a sign from the Mayans when Mario introduced this performance only to discover none of the Top 3 acts’ “limos” had pulled up to the show’s “red carpet.” Alas, though, everyone eventually disembarked like they were musical Bachelor contestants, then strolled into the arena, through the X Factor backstage and past a number of fallen Season 2 comrades. (Anyone wonder if the segment was shot Wednesday night, since Paige, CeCe et al were in their white “You Are Not Alone” frocks?) The only problem was that the audio being piped through our TV sets sounded as genuine as L.A.’s cowboy hat. I mean, only on X Factor could you find seven inarguably solid vocalists opening the show sounding like their vocal cords had been replaced by Siri. Grade: D

* Tate: “Please Come Home for Christmas” | If Carly Rose is a skyscraper and Fifth Harmony is a fairy princess castle, then Tate is a red brick house: Solid, inviting, though not terribly remarkable. This performance fit that mold to a tee. When he was done, Khloe and Mario rolled a montage of Tate’s family and friends offering their love and support, each one designed to push him closer to the brink of bawling. I’m surprised, though, that the Kardashian woman didn’t lead the audience in a chant of “Make! Tate! Cry!” That would’ve really capped her first (hopefully last?) season quite nicely. Mario, for his part, got more familiar than he should’ve: “Good luck to you, Tater.” Stick with your cue cards, foolio! Grade: B

* Fifth Harmony: “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” | I’m not ruling out Stockholm Syndrome, but I swear Fifth Harmony has gotten progressively better every week on this show. Their voices were sweet and clear as ever on this Darlene Love romp, with Dinah Jane daringly delivering her verse in her head voice and ending with a classic case of Mariah Dog Whistle (TM). The staging was great, too, with white carousel horses and candy canes, though Ally should lose the red paper umbrella stat: We have already accepted Camilla’s ridiculous floppy bow, but one ridic accessory is plenty, thanks. Mario, anything you’d like to say? “You’re such a special group of ladies!” Yes, but could you name all five of them without a teleprompter? Grade: B+

* Carly Rose: “All I Want for Christmas Is You” | Maybe it was just nerves over the final results, but I’ve never heard the teen angel’s voice sound so tentative and tremulous, which meant there was no way she could live up to Mariah’s original template. Those waaayyy-too-enthusiastic tin soldiers didn’t help matters, either. (Side note: I know she’s 13, and she probably feels the need to be extra respectful to Simon, Britney & Co., but it freaked me out a little when Carly Rose made it seem like watching her family video reel was all the more emotional because the Season 2 judges were right in front of her. Yikes!) Grade: B-

* Pitbull: “Don’t Stop the Party” | I could only understand about a third of what dude was saying, but that “yeah-ee-yeah-ee-yeah!” hook is crazy addictive, and his silver-clad hoochie dancers braaaaang it! Grade: A+? F-? I honestly have no idea.

* One Direction “Kiss You” | How come everybody thinks the one with all the hair dating Taylor Swift is so hot, when clearly the one with the buzz cut is the cute one? Here’s hoping the boys transferred some of their third-place success mojo to the gals of Fifth Harmony in the midst of their video-game backdrop/giant lips set piece, which was a cute little trifle indeed. Grade: These children have a lot of energy!

* Carly Rose and Tate: “The Climb” | Given that they were only moments away from the final results, I’m gonna give these two a pass for sounding mildly jank. Honestly, though, did the producers really need to put them on a set of stairs to sing “The Climb”? NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE SO LITERAL! And seeing how America decided these were the two voices they liked best all season, WHY DROWN THEM OUT WITH A GOSPEL CHOIR ON STEROIDS?

Top 10 Moments of Beautiful Absurdity from the X Factor Finale
10. Khloe’s three outfit changes: Green lace; black rubber (!!); and expired Pepto Bismol/fresh vom.

9. Khloe, in a last-ditch attempt to hold on to her job next season, greeting Simon Cowell on the red carpet thusly: “I love the chest hair! So sexy, the chest hair!” [Cut to my hubby on the couch: "Is she being funny?" Sadly, no.]

8. The judges — having already been introduced minutes prior during the fake limo segment — making a grand entrance on the stage to the strains of “The Final Countdown.” Imagine my disappointment when we didn’t get a magic show from Gob.

7. This hashtag: #TateMakesItSnow

6. Khloe, trying to get L.A. to pay attention to her and answer a question after Tate’s victory announcement by screeching, “L.A.! L.A.! L.A.!” (You can’t teach that kind of masterful hosting technique…you just have to be born with it.)

5. Camilla from Fifth Harmony, one of many people unable to hear Khloe over the shrieking audience, yelling “WHAT!?!?” while Khloe attempted to make the case that while Fifth Harmony may have had to settle for third place, they’d made “best friends for life.”

4. Blondie from Emblem3 randomly inviting all of his fellow finalists from Season 2 to rent a cabin at Whistler together and go snowboarding. Duuuuuuude!

3. L.A. Reid, reflecting on an entire season’s worth of musical performances and deciding that his No. 1 favorite moment was when Tate Stevens joked before his audition that his genre is rap music.

2. Khloe Kardashian-OHH-Dumb responding to Mario’s impromptu use of Spanish by exclaiming, “Oh my goodness!” [Yes, Khloe, there are other languages on the planet aside from Kardahanese.]

1. Mario Lopez, reacting to a highlight reel of Simon’s nastiest critiques, and acting like this one might be a double entendre: “I want to know what a dog that’s trying to lay an egg sounds like! But that’s for another day.” [COULD HE BE ANY WORSE?]

With that, I turn it over to you.

Anyhow, now it’s time for your take: Did the right contestant take home the big enchilada? What was your favorite results-night performance? Are you pissed we didn’t get to see Lyric Da Queen perform? Sound off below, and for all my X Factor-related news, contestant interviews, recaps and video, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. I’m still pretending that Beatrice and Amanda won

• Mikko Makitalo says:

Same here. Did not like The X-factor at all, but I am overjoyed I got to know Beatrice. I think her Snow Patrol performance is like classic, and whatever would have come?…But the American television strongly occupied by other interests, mainly country.

• Ty says:

It seems like whatever show Simon has touched in the US votes for white country males. xfactor got so boring and bad I stopped watching weeks ago. After I saw Paige descend from the ceiling like a black widow in drag I was through.

@ Michael – Still waiting on the top 25 performances from X Factor USA this year !!!!!!!!!! – you can do it, delve deep.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

+1 (although Carly was pretty damn good and came on stronger and stronger and may have given Beatrice a run for her money or more in the end)

• Love The Voice says:

Did LeAnn sabotage poor Carly’s chances?!? I saw her in the play version of Les Mis a while back and she was AMAZING! I wish Carly all the best.

• anna walker says:

That is the worst I have ever seen Leann and yes in a bit of a way I do belive she killed it for Caroly who was amazing. However I liked Tate just as much. I guess I’m just a country girl at heart. But that young lady has some amazing talent…

• Blake says:

I think Carly lost because she just didn’t seem as genuine as a person. I recognized she was an amazing singer, but I just didn’t connect with the poor kid. Not her fault that she’s reserved, but the emotions that Fifth Harmony and Tate showed made me root for them more.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I’m sure that hurt her. As I said that does count. Look at my post about presidential elections going back to the 70s. The guy avg joe would prefer to kick back with a beer on the 4th with wins every time since the 70s it seems hah and it’s the only thing all the winners have in common compared to all the losers it would seem. She was more introverted in interviews and in the filmed back scene stuff seemed to rather act out the scenes than want to reveal her own self (other than the tears with DW). Not fair or logical but. Toss in the over the top sob story for Tate that they kept running even after it was clear he was not going back to starve and that could easily make up a few points between them.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I tend to doubt that it was what cost her. I think it was more just the country voting block. Although when it is super close every bit hurts. Production suddenly got less crazy over her the last two weeks, for no clear reason. She didn’t put herself out there backstage the way the others jumped around or cried, which matters to some. I mean maybe it hurt her a little, but I’d tend to doubt the duet cost her anything.
          On the other forum someone posted that apparently LeAnn’s manager released a statement during voting that LeAnn sang down to Carly’s level and tried to help out a young, shaky girl who was badly struggling. (And that LeAnn claims she never told her press manager to say that and doesn’t agree with it at all and he shouldn’t have made the release.)
          I’d tend to think most voters would have discounted that though.
          Although some voters do seem to be easily influenced anyone they consider to be authority figures (judges and guests). But how many people even heard the press release anyway?

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Anyway yeah, the only way to deal with these shows is sink into crazy delusion. So I’m just gonna say it was so awesome this year that we had Amanda with The Voice and Carly and Beatrice tie for the win on X-Factor! Wow, finally! What an ending to the vocal competitions!

2. Princess Adora says:

Gah.

• Stacie says:

Unless they get some unbelievable judges and really focus on fixing the craziness and loudness of the show I can’t come back for this next year. I have already relegated myself to just fast-forwarding through it, so by the end of the season I just got to the results part. Next year I doubt I will care at all about it. If FOX wanted me to miss American Idol then they got their wish, I miss that show when I compare it to the mess of X Factor. Good job Tate, but if you go the same road as Melanie Amaro then I guess we won’t be seeing ya.

• My Alter Ego says:

“Unless they get some unbelievable judges” ….

What was believable about the judges they’ve had for the first two seasons?

• Dallas says:

Anyone else glad Chloe is over???

• greysfan says:

America gets it wrong AGAIN! This is insane. Carly should have won The X Factor. She is the one who will go far. Tate will be a nobody in 12 months time. He is a bland boring old country singer and we have seen it all before.

One thing i do hope though is Fifth Harmony and Carly get record contracts because i believe they are both destined to do well but the question is will they get signed? I hope so. Wrong winner of X Factor so this really sucks.

3. Dani says:

it’s like when taylor hicks won AI all over again… i just don’t understand

• Liz says:

This is an amazingly accurate comparison. This guy has no chance of actually becoming popular

• Allyson says:

I agree!

• jack says:

Taylor Hicks is a platinum selling artist and is currently headlining a year’s residency at a major hotel on the Las Vegas strip – Ballys. This is now 7 years after his win and no doubt, getting in the 7 figures for this run. If that isn’t a total and complete success, I’m not sure what is. Now if Tate is 1/10 as successful, it will be a miracle.

• Bella says:

Also, Taylor did a hugely successful Broadway run in “Grease” and then did the American cities tour with the musical after. So tired of hearing “what has he done?”. He has done plenty and continues to work non-stop.

• Alex says:

I loved Taylor. Tate, OTOH, just plain reeks.

• gregk says:

Note that runner up Katharine McPhee is the one who has had the great success though! She too was robbed, while Carly was sunk by LeAnn Rhimes, drunk, sick, or whatever. Hope that competition shows do not risk this type of “duet” travesty again.

4. Brian says:

Well, at least Carly won’t be forced to make the winners’ rounds wearing leather pants. Who does the wardrobe for these kids?

5. RodMod says:

This show was such a drag. All the filler was superfluous and downright irritating!

• Blair says:

Agreed! I HATE results shows… but this one seemed worse than the usual ones. Although, I’ll have to say the Voice finale was actually quite entertaining for the most part.

• Love The Voice says:

The Voice finale was awesome! Well, except for the awful “Stacy’s Mom” number. Congrats to the WGWG winner of XFactor.

• Alex says:

If you only want to know the winner, just watch the last ten minutes of the show instead of watching the whole thing and then complaining about it.

6. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Ugh and another show bites the dust to the country voting crowd, gonna be another modern day version of Idol where unless you are a male country singer or a country guy, if not singer, with a guitar, of a non-threatening sort, pack your bags before the top spot.
    Shoulda been Carly no doubt, at least 5th, it couldn’t be her. Or maybe Beatrice, although we never saw enough of her in the end.
    I am glad he has his dream full-filled and you won’t be out of a job, so I am very happy for him.
    But as a contest, once again soooo wrong. And not even that, but the same old same old same old saaaammmmmeee ollllld country, WGWG story yet again, can it get any more dull? It does make it ever more frustrating, why bother caring when you know there is soooooo little chance the most seemingly talented have no shot (unless they actually are a WCGWG, which would be boring at this point anyway) and then if you just sit back and take it all as a silly joke then it’s like why bother investing so many hours watching and as more and more people not 100% in the WCWGW no matter what voting block get frustrated and stop watching the chances of others just get lower every season.
    Sadly my own custom version of dial idol I tried last night called it, Tate then Carly :( then long distance to 5th :( . Tate does seem more talented and less corny to me than Scotty, he is solid no doubt, he is definitely not bad and it pretty good, but as they kept saying is good solid 5 million rare and amazing or exciting? and even some crypt keepers who didn’t even make the team, like Jeff, seemed a lot more vocally exciting.
    I almost wish they could break off WCGWG into a different show and just keep the two apart since that voting block is SOOOOOOO dominant and makes up such a large demo of these shows it stacks the deck too much. I cringed the second I saw Tate #1 the first week it was revealed and knew it was all useless then. But everyone was like oh come on the country vote will become diluted as everyone else leaves and I was like yeahhh suuure we will see. Sadly I was right. The other year they even let it slip on idol when they said so and so has a hard road to survive this week the block votes more than you can imagine.

• Danny says:

Heya Free-

My thinking here is that when Cassadee won the Voice, people griped about that. It seems like no matter who wins these things there’s an uproar. Yea, I liked Amanda over on the Voice & Lyric145 here. Neither of those 2 dominated like Haley over Scott though. I think in this case it’s more our favorites didn’t win rather than an obvious best singer didn’t win like it was w/ Haley.

• ben says:

And yet, look at the sales of Scotty v Haley.

• Lily says:

Amen brother

• Danny says:

Haley got 0 promotion. They released her album during finals week of the next season, when it would get no buzz at all. Scott went into the biggest market possible. Even if Haley had won, there’s a good chance that Scott would have outsold her simply because of their respective markets.

I’m for all of the contestants (w/ few exceptions) to do well. I’d just like to see the best singers win. These shows aren’t career achievement awards. They’re more like rookie of the year awards.

• ben says:

I just don’t agree with your subjective opinion that Haley ‘dominated Scotty’, and the only scale I can see in which this is true is the subjective scale of those people who had a bee in their bonnet about Haley during her season.
            I don’t mind Tate or Scotty winning (after all, the best attitude in watching these shows is to remember it’s not about your favourite winning, it’s about your favourite getting enough exposure to make a career and give you great music to buy and listen to again and again). I prefer Haley myself. But the Haley apologists really overdo it.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I agree with it. Scotty arguably had the weakest voice of any winner on any of these shows. Seriously imagine any female singing with his voice, even country, or imagine any male sang with his voice in any other genre or he didn’t have the apparently cute deep deep voice from a HS student thing going on, does he make it past the first couple weeks?
            And has any winner, EVER, showed less attempt at range or diversity in what he did? Did he even get a single standing O? Name one huge moment? It is easy to name huge moments from a number of the other contestants. It is hard to even remember any specific song of his since it all sounded like the exact same song every week. Some complain about Taylor Hicks here, but he had miles more going for him. Tate tried to sound a little different a couple times and seem to have more to his voice. In the early seasons of Idol they used to get mad if a contestant didn’t sing a song in the style of the week’s chosen style. I don’t think any winner and few contestants in general stayed more 100% utterly in a very small box ever. If that little box works for you I guess that is wise but it has led to blander winners. And again if his voice with a complete match for anyone else’s why could he not do anything but country and only a very small box style of country and only a few songs with certain range on top? Others did everything from rock to jazz to country to retro pop to current pop to ballads to etc.
            Anyway this is getting off topic and once again i’ve said far too much.

• Tony says:

Also, Haley’s album just wasn’t as good as it should have been. It felt more like some executive’s personal view of what Haley should be, rather than letting her be herself. The cheesey cover didn’t help either.

• teatime says:

@ben I am a huge Haley fan. I agree with your comments about the Haley apologists. It is getting to where I cringe every time I see her name in a comment because it will probably just be a comment complaining about everyone who is not her.
            She deserves better than that.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

@teatime – you do make a bit of a point and maybe I should even change my handle. OTOH we are hardly all bashing anyone who is not her. I’ve praised Beatrice, Carly, 5th, Lyric 145, Amanda, Elise a ton recently and said good things about Nicholas, Terry, haven’t been that hard on Cassadee and have given her some compliments, and so many others and that just from the most recent contestants alone.

• Danny says:

Heya Ben- (and Tea)

The thing is Haley/Scott is the biggest gap between a should be winner vs winner. So that’s the one that’s going to come up the most, at least from a guys perspective. Adam/Kris is probably the most common from a woman’s perspective.

I haven’t had my favorite win one of these since David Cook. Even then I had 4 I liked pretty evenly. David, Jason, Brooke, & that motorcycle nurse (forget her name). For that matter, even before David Cook none of my favorites won. So since season 4 of AI (when I started watching these types of shows) I’ve had 1 favorite win it.

This year was Lyric145 on XF & Amanda on the Voice. Last year on Idol any of the top 7 was a good choice, but my personal choice would have been Skylar. Every year except the Haley year I’ve pretty much made comments along the lines of “My favorite was this person, congrats to the winner. Winner was a good choice too.” Like Cassadee/Tate this year. My comments generally support those 2.

I just felt the Haley year was a shaft. I think Cassadee and Tate are the ones who deserved to win this year, even if they weren’t my personal favorites.

I’m not out to dog Scott. I liked the guy at the start. I started out that year with Scott, Jacob, and Pia as my favorites in the live shows. When I say I started to not like the guy, I don’t mean as a human. He seems like a great kid. I mean it as a musician. He never seemed to want to get out of his comfort zone. Pia couldn’t get out of her comfort zone and it cost her. Unlike a lot of people, I had no qualms w/ Pia getting voted off.

Haley and James tried all kinds of different things. I felt they should have been rewarded for it. James at least got fair treatment from the judges though, so I’m not so upset at him getting voted off. I knew that there was a much larger country market than heavy metal market. So I sort of expected it.

In that season’s weekly winners. I had Pia winning 1 week, Lauren winning 1 week, and Haley & James winning the rest. I didn’t watch the final singing week, so I’m not sure who won that one. Obviously it was Scott or Lauren.

Back to your comment, Haley probably gets brought up the most because in a lot of people’s minds, she’s the one who got the rawest deal out of the results when ya factor in talent difference + production bias.

@Danny –
            (First just quickly toss out more names of some who got dumped early who I still said some good stuff about: I praised Jeff for his audition, Jillian on xfactor; on TheVoice Nicole Nelson, Joselyn for her battle rounds, Kayla’s audition, De’Borah, Suzzana Choffel, some early Trevin. To toss out a mix of all sorts of types. So Haley fans can say good stuff about plenty of others and types of other singers.)
            Yeah I think the reason the Haley thing comes up so much and so contentiously, even still, is the entire production and judging were just so radically skewed against someone who was doing really well. They have played favorites and done tricks before, and it was annoying and did seemed biased and unfair at times, but it was never that beyond, beyond over the top. I mean you even had one of their own judge’s and vocal coaches and other contestants daring to go off script and publicly calling out what was going on.
            What other season has someone who got the most standing Os then been told by the show that they don’t even deserve top four never mind the win? When has a winner had, I think, zero standing Os all season and someone who doesn’t even make the final one every week leading in? When has someone who her all her town people and former teachers and music instructors loved and said was a joy and laughed for weeks about the bottom three stool but twisted to come across so different? When has someone been called so inconsistent that they don’t deserve to make even top four because they couldn’t get a standing on BOTH performances and contestants who had none called so consistent they deserve it all? I mean they did do some of that in prior season but it was never half as blatant. When did someone bring down the house and then just because the other performance was merely upper middle of the pack get made to cry and singled out as the only person of the top six or whatever it was to clearly stand out as sucking and needing to go home? WTH. Even Steven publicly called the show out for that on TV the next day.
            I still think Carly and some others were considerably more talented than Tate, and that is really wasn’t all that close (although maybe closer all the same), and the production sobs stories continuing the last few weeks and the suddenly less Carly praise may have been a touch of games, but I will give you that it wasn’t anything like the Haley season was just seemed like a 100% out to destroy someone, nasty, unfair debacle. The show lost any remaining credibility with me after that. Nothing that has gone on with xfactor or the voice were that off, I agree. You can think it crazy Jermaine won over Juliet last year but it’s hardly like the show tried to trash down Juliet and spout constant random BS about her vs everyone else so you hated it (well if you were a fan) but could live with it. And with the voice, certainly beyond Amanda, you could start arguing who wins all over the place. I thought there were other stronger over 25s than Tate, maybe Jeff although we never saw him again, I’d have taken all of LA’s team over him other than Jason and whoever that girl was on the team. Anyway Tate certainly isn’t bad, he is decent enough but he seems kinda of bland and regular so I still think it seems wrong that he won over quite a few others and I didn’t feel like he was even the best in his own category.

• ejones says:

Of course Haley dominated Scottie. He won it from the edit of the audition process, he did absolutely nothing during the live shows to justify his win. His fans from boot camp just kept voting for him however well or badly he performed, helped by a judging panel not doing its job.

• teatime says:

Personally, I love Haley. I think her Idol run is an example of a completely atrocious busing of a great and interesting contestant. She is one of my favorite contestants ever on these shows. I also have her post-Idol album. I think she will only be a bigger star as time goes by. She is immensely talented vocally and musically. She is creative. She has great stage presence. She is also beautiful and articulate and likeable.
            My concern is that she is brought up in the comments section of almost every article on X-Factor or The Voice and probably Idol also. The comments mentioning her seem to almost always be comments complaining that some other contestant advanced further than they deserve. It is not a good thing for her memory. I don’t want others to start thinking of her as just another one of those contestants whose fans just can’t get over the fact she didn’t win.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Yeah that probably is a good point. I kind of fear you may be right. I’ve sort of been a bit afraid that it might be a bad thing, at least at this point. It’s just easy to bring up since it’s the most clear cut case and it was just sooooo, but yeah…. Maybe better to let it lie at this point unless some else brings it up in a totally bashing way and even then go about it differently.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

@teatime – although one reason it still gets brought up a lot is that every time there is some negative bit, like w. Interscope now, there will be all the tired old posts like, just grabbing a few from one page:
            I’m glad she was dropped, she behaved like a DIVA and had 0 respect for the opinion of the judges!! / This , they probably coudlnt stand her bossy ass attitude / never like her anyway. she is a very self absorbed person and thought she was better than everyone else. what goes round comes round. now go get a real job. / My thoughts exactly!!!!! I’ll never forget the night she got eliminated, she was shocked and looked very pissed off as if to say “how dare YOU kick ME off?!”
            (and the same person elsewhere says it was so sad when James cried and looked so hurt and shocked like he couldn’t believe he was kicked off and it hurt to see him look so mad, go figure; and like she is the only person to for an instant looked shocked or upset wow) / like a dog / YUP! She was trying to be sexy. LOLOLOLOL Epic fail. / my dog has sexier legs, she thought looked good LOL /
            Granted the last three probably have little to do with what the show did to her and are just the sad old case of girls hating on girls who are pretty or insecure wives/GFs not liking that their husband/BF is a fan of hers or something. But it does show that female contestants can have a bit of a built-in automatic loss of chance to get a portion of the votes on these shows. No way a guy says that about her for sure haha.
            But the the other stuff just goes to show you how it’s easy to get a lot of Idol viewers to just 100% follow and believe any push to a story production feeds them. And it’s really a shame since if you listened to what say Lauren or Casey said she was nothing like that at all with the other contestants and all her music (and many other) teachers from prior to Idol went on record saying that it had been an absolute joy working with her and instructing her and people who know people who know her from her home town paint a 100% opposite picture of her than the Idol posters above do, but all it takes is a few productions tricks and some judging spouting whatever and from 10 seconds of that people think they know everything about every contestant and to many people that sticks. So I think it keeps getting brought up because lots of people are sick of how the shows can twist people, and hardly just her, into all sorts of ridiculous lights to for ratings and money. If you simply playfully play along with it the entire run 2/3rds of the audience will believe you stink if the judges say so and if you eventually stand up just a little, especially if you are female and even more so if female and good looking, then you are a…. so there is no way to really win.
            and then you see polls of Idol’s viewership where you get 80% of all Idol viewers saying agreeing with statements like:
            Randy is your favorite judge of the last few seasons. The judge you can always trust for a straight and knowledgeable answer is Randy. The show always tries to judge everyone the same way.
            And then you know how much damage they do to someone when they do anything but a fair and balanced job of judging and production and how a great many people simply do not think for themselves all that much and take whatever the show says or tries to portray as 100% gospel without even thinking it could ever be anything less.
            I mean I bet Elise, to name one, have a lot more truly serious musical knowledge and training than say JLo and yet half the people watching were saying she needs to follow and hang on JLo’s ever word because she is real pro music expert.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

1. Scotty is country and all the country contestants have a much easier time selling it seems. I mean can you imagine a female pop singer putting on some of the goofy performances (staggering around going “alooky here alooklooky there” holding the mic sideways while madly pointing and squinting around the stage? the judges called it pure genius and said they could see him in an arena, other contestants do the slightest awkward thing on stage or just stand there or whatever and get torn to shreds). They slam some with like 8 octaves better range than he had for poor range I mean come on, they get a much easier time of it.
          2. He did get a LOT, LOT more promotion between being in the finale and having his recordings put out there and bought onto radio while Haley didn’t even get a single song she wrote put out there. And the type more likely to go for her probably doesn’t even watch Idol type shows so much these days and likely has never ever heard of her yet. Promotion and radio buys and that going 100% full on can make a HUGE difference. (granted he did get stuck with a truly horrendous title song, felt really bad for him, it was so beneath him, just utter dreck) and he was utterly in the key AI demo so he got a giant fanbase to start from that too.
          3. More sales doesn’t directly equal more talent. When they had the top three sing with stars Haley and Lauren held their own while Scotty seemed to pale a bit and the country guy didn’t even seem any remarkably special voice himself.
          Anyway I feel bad for getting on his case since he does seem like a nice guy. But then with his nice sales I’m sure he plenty knows he has his fans and can handle it.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

And he also never got damaged to his introductory audience the way they gave Haley the ridiculous and utterly out of place btch edit and busing, that matters too.

• TheBeach says:

I bought Haley’s CD and enjoy most all the songs on it (Free, LIar, Undone). The one song I don’t like at all (Oh My) is the one they chose to release as her second single. I still like her album though and wish it had reached a larger audience.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I like most of them, which is actually a rare thing to say about most albums, Hit The Ground Running I think might have been a good one for them to try. Also like Liar and Wonderland a real lot. And really most on the album, even two of the four bonus songs on the extended are cool, one sorta creepy cool and the other just works in a fun happy silly way. Oh My is tricky, it’s the sort that I could see either turning off people or hook everyone in and explode (and BoB might not hurt), not sure sure pop radio listeners would make of the oh myyyys, i could totally see that going over well or not..
            But when you say they picked Oh My as her second single, I thought they dropped her and cut second and third singles off from release a couple weeks ago?

• TheBeach says:

You may very well be correct. I thought “Free” was released first and then “Oh My” but I could be wrong…I’m sure I was at least once back in the ’70s …LOL

• ben says:

Looks like my comment opened up the hornet’s nest I thought it might. I didn’t say Scotty was more talented than Haley. I just said it’s wrong to say that Haley ‘dominated’ him. And I’m sorry, but it is. Haley didn’t dominate him in any aspect at all. She just provided a completely different product from him.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

But he didn’t even hold his own when he had to be paired with other country singers, other contestants held their own paired with pros. And he didn’t even sing the best country of the season, even some non-country seasons had a better country song.

• Lily says:

Agreed Ben. Haley is a totally different artist than Scotty, and–honestly–I have to say that this “edit” conspiracy is old. Even if she came off as totally unlikable, well, let’s just say we don’t buy John Mayer’s albums for his personality so it’s no excuse. Haley just has a very limited appeal, she’s talented but she was never going to sell like Scotty or make it really big. I expected her album to be better, no amount of marketing could have made it a huge hit.

• jaxguy says:

Get. A. Life. Please

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

And even Cassadee Pope, she had a country coach. Last season who wins out of nowhere on The Voice? Singer with the country coach. And I think Lee may have been the only contestant to ever win from outside of the South and it took being a non-threatening WGWG to just pull it off.
      I kinda felt Carly was suddenly doomed as soon as the other judges suddenly became more muted in their praise.
      Anwyay it just proves it is 100% pointless to ever watch the final results shows. It’s the definition of insanity to expect anything different to ever happen there.

• jaxguy says:

I couldn’t have said it better. My post are always so bitter because I wasted all these weeks for this preordained result. He sadly, because he seems like a nice guy will fade really fast. Just look at all the overnight and than fade away country star clones. He may have a moderately successful 1st record then he will blend in with the rest of them until nobody buys his records anymore. If he’s smart he’ll find a way to make that 5 million count.
      While I’m spewing my bile how long will it be before Pitbull is an unfond memory. Just like mediocre country, rap is just as faceless and bad. As least One Direction are tolerable.

Get.A.Life. ;)

Yeah, I hear you. I try to not get frustrated and all since I just know the result is going to be coming and with AI these days I can basically even see THE exact result coming after the first week of live performance results and now, sadly it seems, for Xfactor too (called it after week one that Tate had it in the bag, I was stunned he was #1 then but when I saw that I knew it was cooked and this show’s demo had been taken over too, although I let myself eventually get sucked into thinking that at least Carly could do it, as foolish as I knew I was becoming (and even more foolish to think a couple others could have gone far), but it’s hard to not to get a bit frustrated if you care and you are not watching if you don’t care.
        Most of my other friends have all tuned out post the Haley season and the rest post last season and think I’m mad to keep getting sucked in still (as I said, this makes for a vicious cycle worse, as more of the non-country must win set leaves the voting gets ever more skewed and then even more leave and….). I sort of justify it since you do get to see some decent contestants along the way and TV and XF haven’t totally, actively tried to purposely destroy someone who had clear winner talent (although they have their own lesser games). I skipped all of the first half of Idol last season (all auditions and hollywood), most of the results shows and some number of the live performances, too disgusted by how they produced/judged the previous season (and how predictable the final outcome has become there) and the finale of the season before.
        In the end it;s just a dumb TV show, but it is a little arrrr that it has to end the same way every. single. time. especially when the shows all try to claim non-stop that they are actual competition talent shows to be taken 100% seriously and are more than just some reality TV game shows.
        anyway i need to shut up, said way too much already.

• Pedro says:

Haley often oversang and sounded shrill at times.

There’s more to singing than power vocals.

Melinda Doolitlle is an example of not only having a beautiful voice, but subtlety, emocional connection and finesse.

• MyTake says:

Pit who? I fast forwarded through that after he sang for oh, 10 seconds. People buy that sheit?

7. Lily says:

SO GLAD. Not a country fan but so glad Tate won, he is truly marketable. Also, an over 25 win legitimizes the show to some extent. Carly has lots of time and belongs on Broadway.

• Brian says:

She’s already been on Broadway according to her Wiki page.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

“Carly Rose Sonenclar (Cue Britney’s cold hand, slipping off her protege’s shoulder. “Get yourself to the X Factor house, pack your belongings, and go…home,” she hisses, somewhere in my imagination.)”
      Wow, in all honesty you do have to lay off the Britney hate a little. I mean seriously. Did you not see how red her eyes were when they did all the 5th harmony back story stuff. Not see how anxious and scared and hopeful she looked waiting for the final result? She sure as heck looked like she thought Carly deserved it by a mile and wanted it for her so badly. And it sure looked to me like she was giving Carly encouraging words and maybe then sending her off to congratulate Tate.
      Was it really necessary to make up another evil witch story even here? it almost makes one wonder if some of the Britney hate didn’t rub off into not even giving Carly a chance to be appreciated for anything she did. It’s not like she was trashing down top contestants and giving jealous stink eyes to contestants like some other judges where it might not seem off-base to make up tales. And I mean Britney had tears, red eyes, looked desperately hoping and scared for Carly to win come on.

• luli says:

She was about to cry when they announced tate as the winner… She was so sad that you could see it in her face…

• Jim says:

Can you blame her? Unlike us older people, she hasn’t been around the block and doesn’t know how skewed these shows are towards certain artists. I think it’s sickening how the producers did everything in their power to MAKE Tate a favorite. Let’s face it; the backstory is everything. Do you really think Tate would have had a chance without all the sentimental bull**** they kept feeding us week after week? Anyone with half a brain knows Carly should have won hands down. On the other hand, it seems like these shows have all come down to country music competitions. Scotty, a rather mediocre singer, won A.I. Cassadee won The Voice because Blake turned her into a country artist ( I’m not as upset about that one because she is a very talented singer ) and now Tate, another mediocre singer wins X Factor. Pretty soon, real people who recognize real talent will quit watching these shows if this pattern continues. And didn’t some country artist win A.I. the year before Scotty? I can’t remember her name as they all sound pretty much the same. Or maybe I’m confused and she was in the finals with Scotty. Yeah, that was probably the case since, if memory serves me right, I was so disgusted, I didn’t even watch the finale. It’s a shame, really, that the biggest voting block is country music fans. This is why the best singers don’t have a chance on these shows. Country music fans aren’t looking for the best and most deserving artists, they’re just voting within their genre. And that is very sad and pathetic. They should be ashamed of themselves. I know it sounds like I hate country music, but that’s not the case. I actually like a lot of country music. I just think that the best singers in all these competitions have not been the country artists. The better singers are getting screwed over by a large block of voters who will not vote for an artist unless he or she sings country music. One thing I know for sure, Carly, because she is so talented, will have a bigger career than Tate. The good news is that the most successful artists are usually the runner-ups. Sometimes, not even runner-ups. Remember Jennifer Hudson and Doughtry?

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

@Lily – oops my post above or maybe it will be below ended up in the wrong spot, the thing about Britney hissing has nothing whatsoever to do with you or anything you said.

8. Edward says:

You’re remark about Britney was hilarious and quit possibly true.

• XF says:

I didn’t find it funny. Britney has been sweet to her contestants all season and all of them seem to really like her. Michael has been hating on Britney all season.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Exactly, see my post four above (misplaced). I mean red eyes, tears, looking super concerned for Carly and whether she’d win and then she gets portrayed as the ice queen tonight, what?
        Total disconnect.

• Rose says:

It’s a joke, it’s fine. No one was rooting more for Britney as a judge this year than I was. I think we all know that Britney said something like “You will still be a star, go hug/congratulate Tate” with the promise they’d talk later. And we all know Britney really was invested in her acts, at least emotionally.

9. JON says:

Worst results ever. This is not America’s Got Talent.

10. JackJames says:

I knew Captain Wonder Bread would win. He’s country. And this is ‘Murica. PUKE. He has absolutely zero chance of becoming a star. Oh and btw — whatever happened to Melanie Amaro? :-)

11. Billy says:

Tate winning makes me happy for two reasons….the first is because that means Carly didn’t win (i know it’s mean to say but she needs to be on Broadway not be a pop star) and the second is out just makes L.A. look stupid for having that hissy for when he was told he was mentoring the overs..but I would have preferred a Fifth Harmony win but we have to take what we get..

• jaxguy says:

You have to know that was first a dumb comment and second the reason these shows suck. Just because a person has an amazing voice does not mean they should be on Broadway. It just means that America has lost all sense of great vocals. It’s your loss and bad taste. That’s why the radio is filled with Crap that is intolerable. Nobody can really sing anymore.

• luli says:

Don’t insult billy’s comment by saying its “dumb”. Respect others opinions please, no need to be rude.

• Billy says:

I never said she needed to be on Broadway just because she’s an amazing singer…she needs to be on Broadway because she had no personality and doesn’t put any emotion into her songs…she’s technically flawless but she can’t back it up with the emotions needed like Adele or Paloma Faith can (if you don’t know who she is look her up she’s AMAZING)…she’s had success on Broadway before so she can obviously embody the emotions of a character but she was never able to on the show….and that’s why she needs to be on Broadway….so before you make assumptions ask why someone said something because there is usually a good explanation….also thanks luli for being nice

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

That doesn’t make any sense. She fits in broadway because she doesn’t have any emotion or personality? You don’t go there with no personality and vocal emotion, of all places.

• Billy says:

Let’s see if I say this any simpler…She’s a professional actress so if she’s given a character to play she can be that person and probably give an emotional performance…but from what she showed on the show she can’t be herself and give a emotional performance…that’s what I was trying to say (I’m saying its a bad thing but some people are just suited for different areas of entertainment )

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

If you can do that on broadyway you can act the part off broadway and bring it the same way too.

• Didi says:

Yes but a good musician shouldn’t be acting it.
            The emotion needs to be real, it shows if it isn’t, good actor or not.
            In Carly’s case it’s just an age issue. Give her a few years and she’ll be really good.

• Billy says:

Have you ever watched a talk show?? There are plenty of great actors who once they are forced to be themselves and don’t have a character to hide behind become awkward and have no personality…so its not uncommon when someone has to be themselves they don’t really have the gravitas to draw people in (as they do when they are in character) and care about what they are saying or in this case singing…

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Yeah I well know that, it is very true, but my point is that a singer off of the broadway stage can play the character of a song just as easily as on. And once you sing and get lost in that it is not necessarily at all just like being yourself having to do an interview.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I know she did seem a little calculatedly thinking at times, but by the end of the season not so much and she simply brought over the top strong vocals and there was true feeling in many of the latter performances. And some of the others people are then standing up for, didn’t particularly bring any more deeply felt emotions all that much.

12. Linda says:

I called this last night. It is true-country music fans vote like crazy and there are a lot of them. I think that is why C. Pop won the voice. When you have adam lamberts crowd behind you it is a shoo-in-they just outnumber everyone else. I thought Tate would win but I hoped 5th Harmony would win. I read today that Simon is offering contracts to both losers (so all 3 acts will go on to make records).

• Linda says:

I meant Cassidy Pope in my sentence.above.

• jaxguy says:

Sister C should have made it if they wanted country. THEY were terrific singers. Not bland and middle of the road. Oh, that’s right, America doesn’t even know what great singing is all about.

• JT says:

the fact that tate won makes me think sister c might have actually made it pretty far if america had gotten the chance to vote for them… which would’ve been cool cause they were sooooo good

• TheBeach says:

Sister C was indeed very talented and IMO got a very bad edit. I think Simon just didn’t want to mentor a country group and was starry-eyed for Emblem 3.

• Didi says:

If Simon wouldn’t have sarificed them to focus on E3 they could have gone far.
        The country vote is indeed strong and they were really good at what they were doing.

• MyTake says:

I think you mean Blake Shelton (not Adam Lambert)? Adam Lambert was also robbed on AI on his season although he’s done well since regardless.

13. Danny says:

I think Tate’s a good winner. Carly would have been too, but I’d give a “this-close” edge to Tate. I think he’ll go on to have a decent career too. He’s in the right market for sure. I’d say he’s better than Scott from AI a couple of years ago.

People may not like country, but I don’t see where there should be a big uproar about him winning. He was a solid, straight ahead, no BS singer in a show that was often times vastly over produced.

I think 5th Harmony was in the right spot at #3. The last couple of weeks they were even w/ the top 2, but over the course of the year I think the other 2 were better. I think we could be seeing more of them in the future too.

14. Elizabeth says:

LOL, X Factor

• bbl says:

As all of the unique and versatile acts left the show one by one, I was thinking the same thing. They need to rename the show “The Status Quo”; the current title is much too ironic.

15. Eddie15042 says:

Britney said to Carly’s ear: “Sweetie, who’s that Tate guy again?”.

16. Z says:

The Bottom 3 Rule lives on!! (For those who don’t know, my American Idol conspiracy theory that producers can predict the winners from early in the live show–anyone could have called Tate or Carly months ago! In summation: winners rarely grace the bottom 3 and usually score highest from the get-go).

• Billy says:

Ummmmmm….just off the top of my head I can think of one that doesn’t fit..Fantasia was in the bottom 3 with Jennifer Hudson when she was eliminated…and if I look into it there’s probably more…so you might want to rethink your theory

17. Linda says:

I think Tate is the easiest to market- who would Carly Roses mass market be?? Tweens and teens would not be so interested in her and she had a very limited range-she needs more lessons and experience. That is why I thought 5th H had a shot-they are marketable too. But I think the country music crowd has the best ground game and he always had the votes.

• Nedsdag says:

Tate will be fine. He got the exposure he was looking for. ITA with you regarding Carly. She’s too mature for the Disney/Nickelodeon crowd and she’s too young for the older adult crowd who already have their girl singer in Jackie Evancho. TBTH, Carly is more like the first AGT winner Bianca Ryan who like Carly had a mature voice for a tween but couldn’t find an audience.

That’s why many liked Fifth Harmony because they actually acted their age: they were loud, funny, peppy, bouncy, and loved One Direction. If Carly showed even a quarter of 5H’s personality, perhaps she could have a nice career in music.

• Jim says:

Carly’s day will come. I am 62 and I can see myself buying her records in the future. She’s amazing now and will just get better as she matures. Tate, I’m afraid, has reached his limit. He definitely needed this win more than Carly even though he wasn’t near as good.

• Dee says:

Limited range? Seriously? You don’t think Carly could have sang every song that Tate sung? I think you might want to visit the audiologist.

• crossover-girl says:

I think they were referring to emotional range over vocal range. Carly has a voice but little personality when performing other than being serious. Power ballads cannot fill up an entire album. People like a little variety, Simon was right when he said that she should have stayed at the piano during Imagine keeping it closer to the normal it would have been better. Or as mentioned above if she’d shown a bit of personality or enjoyment like Fifth Harmony did on Anything Can Happen it wouldn’t have been so bad but every week it was the same serious expression. Tate though unable to dance looked like he was having fun.

• Rose says:

Yes, yes, yes Nedsdag. I’ve been saying that all along. Carly could be very marketable for Nick/Disney if she had a more bubbly and light-hearted personality. She’s mature in voice and seems very much like the product of a stage mother. I hope she can have a little bit of fun and then succeed on Broadway… and maybe even beyond that.

18. Allyson says:

I am sure Tate is a nice guy, but I am disappointed! Carly had the voice to win this! Oh and I agree the whole opening was awkward! I don’t want to be rude, but can’t Mario just be the solo host for the next season. Khloe has looked uncomfortable as a host throughout the season.

• MyTake says:

Ok here is my conspiracy theory :D
      The whole and only reason they decided to get TWO hosts (because anyone in their right mind knows you only need ONE host) was because of Enema3.
      Whether one of their influential relatives pushed the boys on Simon or LA or someone got those boys into the attention of Xfactor long before auditions ever happened. I do NOT believe for one second that the first time the producers/Simon saw enema3 was when they walked onstage for their audition. Meaning after Simons huge success (read: making a crapton of money) in marketing One Direction, he WANTED to repeat that success on the US Xfactor. I thought it was funny right from the get go that he got the “groups”. Before I even thought of my Kloe theory, it just put a bug in my ear of why he’d get groups. I was suspicious of something funny going on but had no clue at that time what it was. You KNOW he’s got inside pull on what category he gets assigned and last year the group category was a train wreck.. so I had to wonder why he’d finagle his way to getting groups this year.
      So lets imagine he wanted groups because he already had Enema3 set up to be THE group he’d promote and push to the end. Now, to make that happen he needs voters. What is One Direction/Enema3’s voting demographic? Teenager and early 20’s hormonal girls!
      To draw as many as possible of that demographic into watching/voting on Xfactor why not promote and put on the internet that the NEW host would be the epitome of exactly that demographic. Probably 95% of the people that watch and are fanatics of the Kardashian shows are teenage/early 20 girls!
      Voila, right from the get go, the deck has been (behind the scenes) stacked in their favour.
      Before you bash me for this theory, give it some careful thought.

• Love The Voice says:

I agree, Allyson. Khloe is to Mario host talent wise as Christina Millian is to Carson Daly. Why can’t these shows find a talented female host like Cat Deeley?

19. OMG says:

I watched a youtube video on a montage of American Idol winners, and cannot help but feel sad, as the whole diversity of singers became relegated to WGWG towards the end. It seems that The X Factor is going down that route too. The only reason why Melanie got first, was because she had the pimp spot plus the WGWG vote got split right down the middle between Chris and Josh. It seems that America now likes only one type of singer.

Sure, David, Kris, Lee, Scotty, and Philip are talented in their own right and are somewhat different from one another, but what happened to American Idol being a diverse showcase of talents? If American Idol and X Factor is already fixated on the same style or winner, then it will become increasingly irrelevant to hold such shows.

I am not someone who wants diversity for the sake of diversity, but it has come to a point where it is clear that there are huge biases towards the all-American brand of nice friendly guys, with a decent voice.

I know it is subjective, but when WGWGs have dominated for 5 years, it is clearly no longer a matter of coincidence that America somehow feels that the WGWGs are the best of their respective seasons for 5 straight times, but a matter of judgement.

• Allyson says:

That is why I don’t watch American Idol anymore! I am so tired of the same guy winning. It is so predictable and annoying. The lack of diverse winners on the show is sad. The producers refused to change the voting system for money reasons, I am so fed up with it. I can tell you right now, a guy with a guitar will once again win American Idol and the 11th season hasn’t even aired yet. Most of the votes are comming from tweens and are voting multiple times. Now I did enjoy Carly on X-Factor, because she was mature,talented, and classy for her age.

• jaxguy says:

Last year was the nail in the coffin on Idol for me. Tonight was the nail for Xfactor. When Amanda did get enough votes on the Voice that was their nail Cassadee was the female version of Tate, Scotty, Phillip, Kris and so on. Moderately bland. Moderate voices easy for America to like for some untold reason. I should have stopped watching after Josh lost last year.

• jaxguy says:

I know most of you will trash me for this, but a few seasons ago my cousin got me to watch Dancing with the Stars. It was moderately entertaining and some of the dancing was great. The Ricki Lake Htichcock was downright brilliant. But a funny thing happened. America turned that show into a popularity contest or a sob sister competition. It was insulting to the viewer. FAR FAR better dancers were eliminated while so so dancers kept trudging on. The Palin girl, The stupid football players and so on. After two ridiculous winners I got the trend and haven’t watch since and HAVE no plans of ever watching again. Now, after tonight I realize the same trend has taken over all these shows. Yes I’m a bad loser. I admit it. But I won’t subject myself to watching America vote stupidly any longer.
          I have cancelled my Tivo season pass for these shows so I won’t be tempted to watch them. Just like I did for Idol and DWTS.

• gregk says:

Watch So You Think you Can Dance. Much more entertaining than any of the singing contests.

• Maybe you should get a life. says:

While I might not always agree with who American choose, I do not think it is fair to call them stupid for the way they vote. Music is subjective and not everyone has the same taste. Some of those you think is moderately bland I actually find entertaining. Not everyone enjoys the big voice or overproduction when enjoying music. I personally would not buy or listen to Tate but to trash people who do is an insult. Your rants sound like you are a spoil brat who didn’t get their own way so as the saying goes cut your nose off to spite yourself. I don’t think any of the shows
            care if you watch and if it cause you this much irritation it probably is for the best.

• Aaron says:

Teens aren’t voting for these type of guys LOL. Emblem3 and Fifth Harmony got the tween vote.

20. BarbL says:

I wasn’t invested in any of these people the way I was with Josh Krajcik, and stopped voting after Vino, but I think the final three will all have long and successful careers in music if they want it.
    Carly was on Broadway (so I understand) before, and being in the show can only help her. She has good vocals, and I’ll bet that in time she’ll be a major star.
    Tate was authentic country, which is what country music aficionados look for. If being technically perfect was all that important to country, we’d never have heard of Willie Nelson.
    If I were a betting person, I’d put money on 5H breaking up. They are all good singers, and some will do better than others, but they’ve all got this in their portfolios now.
    Not every singer wants to be the next mega-star after the competition. Many of the more mature will realize that there’s just too much competition in the real world, but look to have a comfortably successful career.
    That being said, Taylor Hicks is still making the rounds of the US singing, and he packs the places he’s at. I’d have to say he’s doing a dang sight better than he would have been had he not entered AI.

21. Rachel says:

Hooray for Tate Stevensssssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……

22. Jenny says:

I’m pretty stupid…

23. cookielove says:

Yuk. She is such a superior singer……on “the Climb” he couldn’t even keep up with her or stay on key. But I hate how they tarted her up the last few shows….could have been the reason she lost…….

24. Mary says:

Not a surprise, but sorry Tate has no more the X factor than a blade of grass. I wish him luck but I do not see him becoming a big country star. he is generic and will be competing
    With the likes of Brad, Keith, Luke, Dirk and the list goes on. I wouldn’t be surprise if pepsi pulls out of the commercial after this year. I guess they can get a star like last year, elton to be in it with him. Simon should just give it up and go back to the UK, America does not understand the it factor.

• Didi says:

Then again, a lot of these new country stars are quite generic.
      I like country rock and listen to a lot of it, but even I can’t tell some of these new singers from each other. :p
      It’s just about good or bad songs. Could switch around the singers and noone would notice.

Tate will fit right in. If anything, he is one you can tell apart, because he is not another random young supposedly good looking muscular guy with 3 days worth of beard.

25. FIFTH HARMONY IS THE BEST! says:

FREAKING FIFTH HARMONY!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR ME YOU ARE THE WINNER! REMEMBER ONE DIRECTION PLACED THIRD AS WELL IN X FACTOR UK AND LOOK AT WHERE THEY ARE NOW? AT THE TOP OF THE CHARTS! I AM A PROUD FAN! :)

26. broncfanwa says:

Carly has one heck of a voice, there’s no doubt about it. she’s going to have a fantastic career, or in fact is already having one on Broadway. What she doesn’t have yet is the life history to infuse her singing yet. Life experiences flavor the performance in a way that just a voice can’t compete with. Tate has the voice and the life, and it came out in his singing. Most of the hate i saw for him during the season was primarily of the “i hate country” variety, but if you get past the genre, the talent is there. Carly and 5H are going to get there, don’t ever worry about them. Way to go, TATE!!!!

27. jaxguy says:

Thank god I’ve completed the big three all in one year. Last year dumb America could have picked a great unique voice in Josh. Instead they picked the pretty girl singer. This year they picked the rather middle of the road country singer. I would NEVER buy his record. So Idol, The Voice and XFactor are done for me. I can finally spend my time on good entertainment. What a rip. America enjoy your bland middle of the road taste. At least buy his records to justify why you voted for him instead of FAR FAR superior Carly and Far superior Fifth Harmony. Not since Carrie Underwood has America voted for the best talent. The reason I watched the 2nd Season of XFactor was I liked both the contestants last year. Even though so so many complained about how generic Melanie was, she is a great vocalist. But Tate is not a great vocalist. Just listen to country radio and tell me he’s unique. He’s not. But the real funny thing is I truly believe part of the reason he won is the syrupy sentimentality that America loves to wallow in.
    Like I said I cannot and will not continue to watch America vote for inferior talent. One day when real experts chose I will watch and respect the result whether I agree or not. But as long as it’s left to America I just can’t do it anymore. To prove my point look at the post careers of most the winners of these shows.. DUDS.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Get. A. Life. (I say this seeing how that was your response to my, 75% identical to yours here, response 50 posts above and seeing that you’ve now posted as overly many times as I have, so I’m taking it that “Get.A.Life.” = “+1″ haha)

• jaxguy says:

I would not have said Get a life to you I don’t think because I pretty much agree with most of what you say. But maybe I did.
        I’m just kinda getting it all out because sadly, and I will miss Michael’s cool recaps, I doubt I will be around anymore.
        Because I am truly bitter that I waste so much time on these shows and the real winners never win.
        From now on I’ll just read about the contestants and if someone makes a great record I will buy it.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Hah, yeah, I sort of figured you must have just misplaced it. So I played along here.

• Mary says:

It really was not a waste because it introduce you to your favorite in the first place, without the show you would not know about them unless they hit it “Big”. I look at these shows as a way to introduce me to new singers, if I really like them winners or not I will support them if they produce music. What people don’t realize is not everyone has to be a GaGa to be successful. There are many artist that are successful even though they are not that big. You may feel the “real winners
          never win but I personally think all the top 5 are winners. What they choose to do from there is up to them. This is a tough market and to get that far is a accomplishment. Even if you favorite won there is no guarantee she would of been successful.

28. Jenny says:

Damn country peeps truly vote and vote … I knew this would happen! Eeeee Carly deserved it. I agree Tate is a wonderful guy but I don’t think he’ll be a major success. People will forget him as quick as they forgot about that other nice guy Lee Dewyze.

• jaxguy says:

You made that name up. Lee Dewyze? Oh right he’s the guy who won Idol the year that was so bad I couldn’t watch. Maybe so 2 or 3 episodes.

29. Burles Tavens says:

Meet the new WGWG, same as the old WGWG.

30. Brandon says:

Meh. This finale sucked. And where were the other finalists??

31. Guitar Blue says:

For those who follow Music & entertainment; you’ll see Carly in the years ahead.

For those who follow Country,
    Tate will be an add-on act for some of the major stars for a while, then will be just another Country name in a crowded field of rising young Country stars moving ahead of him. Similar to Kris Allen after Idol, who toured with Keith Urban while his name was still fresh from the Idol win.

5th Harmony will split-up before long, as a couple of them try to make it as single artists. LA and Simon will decide who to speculate on by doing a single for them.

• jaxguy says:

There seems to be dozens of NEW country stars. They all look kinda the same. Some break out like Blake Shelton and so on but if you ever look through the country section of a music store I guarantee you will not know half the guys in the country section And by the way they all sound about the same.

• Didi says:

I agree, I just look for good songs nowadays, don’t even care which of the young country singer clone army sings them.
        Luckily a few still break the mold and have distinct styles, mostly the guys who are at it for a while already.

But hey, it’s like in any business. A few define and make successful trend, then comes the mass of bandwagoners and copycats. When saturation sets in, someone creates a new trend, back to square 1. Round and round we go :)
        Currently it’s young cloned dudes doing country/rock mashups, we’ll see what comes next.

32. Timmah says:

Now you have two artists who have won the “X Factor”, neither of whom have it.

33. dj says:

I quit caring a long time ago who would win this thing. I think it was when Beatrice went home, and Cece and Paige were both still there. I agree with the people who said they’re glad they watched this season because they discovered some artists they wouldn’t have otherwise, but it almost isn’t worth it. This was the worst finale ever, in my opinion. It was so boring, especially with the Voice finale from just two days ago so fresh in my mind. What a contrast. The Voice is not a perfect show, either, but so much better, and at least they understand that people want to see their favorites who got voted off and they allow them to perform. I guess there will be a season 3, since they’re already telling people where and when to audition, but I don’t feel like watching it unless they make a lot of changes, starting with getting rid of Chloe and Mario.

34. Alex says:

Tate is a mediocre singer at best. His voice sounded especially weak and reedy tonight. The guy has very little range, and he’s not even very good within that extremely limited range. Carly and Fifth Harmony both have a ton more ability than he does. Awful, awful winner.

• jaxguy says:

The worst thing they did was have Tate and Carly sing a duet. He just sounded ordinary she sounded wonderful. So much for life experiences influence on a songs performance. That song was tailor made for Tate’s style yet the young pop vocalist blew him out of the water. Thanks everyone who voted for Tate. By the way what has happened to all the singers that won America’s Got Talent over much more diverse and interesting acts. I bet most people can’t name one. The most successful singer to from that was Jackie Evancho who was runner up. (She kinda defies that she’s too young nonsense that everybody threw at Carly since Jackie was only 11 years old.) The guy who beat her was a WGWG who was ok but I bet you can’t name him. But the winner from the year before, a countryish WGWG was the WORST winner of any of these shows EVER. He had one, and I mean one good performance. Everything else was terrible but he sailed right to the win. Hasn’t been heard from since. Had a great gooey sob story and America ate it up. He didn’t even get a contract so he’s sold ZERO records. Forgive me for still ranting but I just looked up AGT to see how the singers have done since their gigs. Jackie Evancho has the biggest career with platinum records. She was spectacular by the way but was the runner up. The winner that year has sold 22,000. (America you need to put your money where your vote is.)
      Season 6 winner has sold 46,000 records, Season 3 winner has sold 3000 records. So I hope you see my point.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I wonder if limited voting would help. Perhaps there are simply more of that demo watching and limiting voting wouldn’t help a bit anyway or make it even worse. Although maybe, maybe it might make more people vote and get more variety in voters if they don’t feel their ten allowed votes will be 100% useless though and won’t have to think they need to waste two hours dialing 2000 times for nothing and maybe with more population in some big coastal cities it could turn around if they could find a way to bring those viewers back in droves??
      I cringe as soon as I spot a country guy or plain WGWG-type in the final selections, since it’s like OK there goes another season before it has even begun. As soon as they picked Tate I was like nooo, what have you done, do you realize you just turned XF too into all country and WGWG ever on? And you lost one thing they may have made they show stand out from what Idol has become? Even if one of those were truly the greatest it would almost turn me off at this point. And don’t begin to tell me that that type of singer or the one with some sort of country tie be it to coach only or what not has just happened to have been the best every single year. As someone said look at the video of winners and it just grows blander and more homogenous over time, more or less.

• Rose says:

Here’s the thing: Carly winning would have been the nail in the coffin for X Factor. Having two big-voiced young girls win the X Factor two years running would have type cast the show’s winners. It wouldn’t be WGWG, it would be “big voiced divas.” Having an Over-25 or a group win was the only way to keep the show legitimate and allow people to believe that the show is anyone’s game. I don’t think it’s a conspiracy at all, but I think this final and its results were just good for business and we shouldn’t complain. The show does stand out now.

• Rose says:

I want to add that Melanie and Carly may be very different people and have a few years of difference in their ages, but they have the same sort of appeal. You can argue soulful vs. Broadway all day, but they are both young girls with big voices. With such similarities, can you imagine if they were both sales failures? At least if Tate fails to sell the show will remain interesting because it’s unpredictable. If Carly had won and she failed to become a star, it would wipe interest from the show.

• teatime says:

They are both females with good voices. I think the comparisons literally stop there. I do not think that makes them the same or even similar.

35. ABC says:

LOL! Horrible winner. BLAND.

36. A says:

One Direction came in third and look where they are today. Matt Cardle who?

Fifth Harmony can make it big. Simon needs to promote the hell out of them.

37. CzarekM says:

Tate has the cash, Carly has the future. Everybody is happy.
    Two years ago on AGT there was an identical situation: a child genius and a mediocre, but likeable, teddy bear guy. And who, except entertainment archivists, remembers Michael Grimm now? While Jackie Evancho is conquering the world today. Literally!
    Well, Tate can now open his own construction business, that’s the thing he might really need two years from now.
    And I am waiting for Carly to release her first original songs. And I know they are going to be amazing!

38. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

oh crap. Just realized the Mayans were right. This was the straw that broke the world’s back. 12/12/12 tomorrow isn’t it.

39. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Actually I’m sounding too completely bitter for which ’tis not the season. Congrats to Tate and best to him and much excitement with it all. He has to be thrilled out of this world.
    Best to Carly he will be big one day soon despite this.
    Best to 5th who do have a real shot and deserve it.
    Best to Beatrice who I think will be back too.
    Best to all the rest.

40. ThatBob says:

WGWG FTW. BFD.

41. Jazzy says:

Fifth Harmony has already been signed. Camila’s mom confirmed it. I’m actually very happy for them! Simon has pretty much said the whole Top 4 are getting signed as well…so congrats to Carly and E3 as well!

• MyTake says:

Can you provide a link to Camila’s mom confiming this? I think it’s great because they were my fav’s. Although I did like all the finalists and wish them well unlike Cassadee on The Voice. Couldn’t stand her.

sweet

42. Booya says:

TV shows can manipulate America into anything they want. They made them believe Cassadee was a superstar in the making and now they suckered them into a charity case.

How utterly predictable the herd is.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

With all the talk of 0.3% difference between Tate’s and Carly’s votes all the tearful sob stories could well make the difference. Stuff like that does count a lot any time any sort of voting is involved. Just because you come from a solid home and have no sob story you get a disadvantage now? (And he was going to at least get something out of this show, win or not, being from the country genre, anyway, so all the talk about him heading back home to starve having lost his job to perform here was garbage. Carly was as likely to go home and starve after not winning as he.).

43. Jason says:

I Predict Tate Stephens leaves his wife for CeCe Frey!!

44. cek88 says:

This is my first time posting, so please don’t rip me to shreds!
    I literally can not comprehend WHY Tate Steven’s won. I personally believe that during the duet, the stronger and more compelling singer was clear. Carly KILLED it.
    I was never a fan of Tate’s, and still do not understand his appeal in any way what so ever. He sold the same sob story EVERY week making him look like such a great guy, which I personally believe was a damn snooze along with his performances. He left a sour taste in my mouth as soon as he pulled a jerk move on Willie during bootcamp.
    On a random note: I know youtube isn’t an indication of how individuals vote, but obviously an indication of popularity – Has anyone ever noticed how on youtube when you type in car- Carly Rose immediately autofills, same with Fifth Harmony. Meanwhile Tate never auto fills (which is commonly based upon what you type in and the popularity of the searches, I believe). As well as the amount of views, Carly AND Fifth Harmony soar above and beyond.
    I’m clearly bitter, at least I can admit that! ha ha. I wish them the best

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

maybe that does show that the power voting they allow does hurt non-country/southern singers more

45. Jason says:

Anyone else creeped out when Lopez has his creepy hands all over Carly. Dude lay off the 13 year old!

46. Kelm says:

Vino, Jennel, Lyric145, David, 5h,… so many great current choices and we end up with a old country singer… mmmeeeeh… Anyway, hope to see them do well.

47. MyTake says:

Did I miss Lyric145 performing on the show tonight? I can’t remember seeing them yet just now looking at diff sites there was one from yesterday or the day before, that had CeeCee and Lyric145 saying they were going to be doing a performance on the results show. Come to think of it, Lyric145 wasn’t on last night either when they had most of the past contestants singing that tribute at the beginning of the show. Very strange

48. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Interesting to see how many people bothered to find each contestant’s songs on iTunes and then rate them for each of the finale performances for X-Factor (on The Voice whoever had the lowest # of people rate a song went home most of the time):
    total ratings on iTunes for each song and then combined
    3rd – Tate: 7 and 15 for 22 total
    2nd – 5th: 48 and 30 for 78 total
    1st place – Carly: 65 and 73 for 138 total
    If only iTunes counted the way it did on The Voice this year, arr, true justice there:
    Carly most popular on iTunes
    5th second most popular on iTunes
    Tate easily the least popular on iTunes
    Suddenly I wonder if the power voting maybe actually does help swing things way more towards country and WGW types than controlled voting would allow for?? I wonder what the data looks like. I was thinking it wouldn’t help at all, but perhaps…. it is the stupid voting systems on AI and XFactor that has let the results all get tossed the same dull old way every year. Now maybe Carly would not have won by 7x over Tate, but maybe she would have had just enough to win and 5th just enough to be a very close third or just squeeze in for second?

• Lily says:

I don’t think so. In fact, I think the demographic voting for Tate is probably using the phones and waiting for his album. Even if there was power voting for Tate, I think the amount of people watching for him, cheering for him, and ultimately not voting balances that out. Let’s face it, anyone watching the show and cheering for 5H is definitely voting for them and doing so more than once. Not sure about Carly’s demographic, but I think her audience has a technological edge over Tate’s.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Probably you are correct, but I was kind of shocked by how super vastly more popular Carly and even 5th seemed than Tate on iTunes (and someone else has claimed on youtube search too) so I did start to wonder just a little.

49. pmcd says:

The X Factor just made a fool of itself. Not much point in trying to advance your musical chops when a very mediocre wedding singer, at best, is celebrated by the country. It should not even have been close. Had 5th Harmony won over Carly then at least they could have continued to call it a vocal show. It’s all a bit over the top. At least the Voice ( a show I don’t really watch) had finalists who could sing. Anyway, just a terrible outcome, sends the wrong message. I think this silly show has actually turned me against country music, a genre I have loved my whole life. Unbelievable.

50. James says:

What an awful winner. I’m glad this show is a miserable flop.