Exclusive

Fringe First Look: The Final Countdown Begins

Though Fringe‘s Captain Windmark is looking a little worse for wear in this new poster touting the Fox drama’s final four episodes (kicking off Friday at 9/8c), the steely intensity in his eyes suggests that Team Fedora most definitely has some fight left in it as “The Final Battle” nears.

RELATED | Fringe Team Shares Scoop on Olivia’s MIA Ring, Astrid’s ‘Moment’ and More

After this Friday’s outing, which is titled “Anomaly XB-6783746″ (of course!), Fringe returns Jan. 11 and then finishes up its five-season run with a double bill on Jan. 18 (starting at 8/7c). What is your latest theory on how al this ends?

RELATED | Fringe Boss Reveals Finale Title, Says Series Ender Is ‘Massive… Really Big’

Fringe_Final4_600

1. Julio says:

I think when they defeat the observers, space-time will somehow reset itself and we will be transported back in time to when the Olivia first meets Peter and Walter. That’s just my two cents.

• Breck says:

Could be a possibility, but then you reset to the Red universe trying to destroy the Blue universe again effectively negating all positive steps they took together in past seasons….I personally think time should reset to that day in the park, when all the characters were at their happiest

• Carol says:

No, I think time should reset to when Peter died as a kid, both in redverse and blueverse. Walter shouldn’t see how Walternate missed the formula to cure him, so he never tried to save RedPeter. Walternate wouldn’t iniciate a war, Olivia would have been cortexiphaned, but not activated to be a soldier. Charlie would be alive, Rachel and Ella would be around, Altlivia would be and Olympic medal winner. Olivia would be with John, probably…

• Breck says:

So no epic love tale with Peter-Olivia, and no Etta…….(although I do agree that this timeline is missing Rachel and Ella)

• cjeffery7 says:

i’ve got to agree with carol. if they’re gonna go with a time reset, they’ve got to stop walter from crossing into the other universe. if september hadn’t distracted walternate from discovering the cure then walter wouldn’t have felt the need to cross over which started this whole business in the first place. UNLESS you wanna go even deeper and say that walter was becoming a monster anyway and something needs to be done about that, separate from his family drama. it breaks my heart that that would mean no peter/olivia/etta, but if that’s what gives everyone a “happy ending” then i’ll take it.

all that being said, fringe never does anything you expect, so i’m not even sure they’re gonna go with a timeline reset. that almost seems too easy.

• M3rc Nate says:

The epic love story of Peter Olivia was destined to save the universe (now more than once)…so it was a tool, to set things right, and once you have set things right, theres no more use for said tool. Though i think what Carol said makes the most sense, the idea of the end being a end without Peter (he dies on both worlds)…its pretty unfathomable. I dont know how i would process it. Like i said it makes the most sense, and i think if they said “this was always the ending, we stuck to our artistic integrity” no one could argue with them…but im scared of a end that doesnt involve Peter+Olivia married/in love.

The only way around it i see is maybe the device doesnt do what we think it does? Maybe it doesnt remove all observers from ever existing through the timeline or something…idk.

• Emma says:

peter wont be eradicated from both worlds..as it stated in a previous episode where the observers deleted peter from the timelines..to ” correct ” the mistake September made in saving him and Walter on Raiden lake…the Ppl that know peter love him too much..he cant be erased cos love transends time and will always find a way to bring peter back..as we saw in the ending of season 3 and the beginning of season 4

• luisa says:

in my opinion suddenly walter and belly wakes up..they were just tripping because they were super high…LSD works..(bad english.sorry. I’ m italian)

• Olivia & John…. then it won’t be a romantic ending… :D

• That’s exactly how I feel, time should be re-set.

2. Gregg says:

I think they are going to be transported back to when Walter first tried to take Peter from the other side, and instead of September rescueing Peter from drowning, he doesnt get saved. Then they will have never been, defeted in the future.

3. Megan says:

I agree, Breck. Resetting too far back would cause problems for the “over there”/”over here” situation and I’m totally content with the way that’s been wrapped up. I would love for them to reset to that day in the park. I don’t know if that will actually happen, but that’s I’m hoping for. I just want to see everyone happy for a change! I feel like that happens only once or twice a season, so it would be nice to end on that…it would actually be quite a twist for the Fringeverse! And I’m a sucker for happy endings (which actually makes it quite difficult to be a Fringe fan!).

• Mike says:

I think Fringe at its core is a pretty optimistic show. I think there will be a “happy” or “hopeful” ending. But, I don’t think that happiness will come without a cost. Maybe it’s the most obvious prediction, but I fear Walter may be in for some self-sacrifice for the good of others and to make up for his past “sins”.

• Kristina says:

I agree. I think Walter will need to sacrifice himself for Peter and Olivia to ultimately lead a happy life.

• michelbee says:

You might be right. Walter has been trying to redeem himself for all the pain he feels he’s done. I hope the writers find a way for him to be the hero and still get a happy ending.

• cjeffery7 says:

“Resetting too far back would cause problems for the “over there”/”over here” situation”
      that’s just the thing though. while i’m still not clear about the observers motivations in past seasons (were they all just setting up events to allow them to come take over the world or did they have some greater plan?), i think it all comes down to the war between the worlds. and that comes down to whether peter is taken from the other universe or not, which comes down to walternate getting distracted and not finding the cure for peter, and if the observers don’t exist that would have never happened. of course that puts a big kink in our favorite love story of all time, but i’d rather see the characters we know and love live happy lives, even if they have to be apart, rather than have to go through all the crap they did in the last 5 seasons. it’s bittersweet, but that’s pretty much what fringe is to me. just my two cents.

• Emma says:

whether peter stays or goes it makes no difference…the observers were there b4 he was born through out time ” watching ” the ” big ” events..so this observer was would still have happened even is this ” reset ” did happen it would make no difference cos this war would still happen again in the ” future”

• cjeffery7 says:

well, that’s the issue with this time reset theory. is it really a fix? depends on which theory of time you like best – the one you’re talking about where everything loops, like in harry potter or bill & ted’s excellent adventures. or does everything just happen and create an infinite number of alternate universes? sorry if that doesn’t make much sense, but that’s because im just having trouble wrapping my brain not only around the logistics of all this, but i also have no clue what the end game of fringe is going to be. the time reset olivia mentions in the latest promo might be a total red herring. AGHK!

4. Kristina says:

What if the time reset to that day in the park? But no Observers come and Peter, Olivia and Etta end up finally having a happy life together. Too corny? I know I’d like to see that happen.

• cherluvya says:

September showed Henry…and I thought said he was a key to the future. I will have to try to find that episode tonight. I can’t help but wonder if September saved him…he like Etra would be grown up.

5. michelbee says:

They already did the Peter not saved scenario. That was last year. Why as a viewer would I believe the new future would unfold any differently?

To me, they have to change something in the past. Maybe a rescue of September or something we have already seen that can aftect the invasion then they will finish at the park confirming the time shift.

• prish says:

Oh, yah! Maybe September will become the Observer’s leader at the park scene time, then take them back to clean up their mess at their home planet/time, etc.

6. Breck says:

To me, it boils down to this: an ending without Peter-Olivia-Etta together = disappointing

7. tp says:

It ends with me being bitter with no season six to look forward too.

8. fsfa says:

Fringe, I love ya, and this season has been OK in my book, but that poster is just kinda lame.

9. cortexifan says:

I think too that Walter will be the one sacrificing himself, not dying in a sense of getting shot but going to a place of no return, like the past. I also think it’s going to end with the scene in the park, Olivia and Peter watching their child (not necessarily Etta) play.

10. alexjones says:

i’m going to miss fringe.

11. jkl says:

I swear that pic of Windy is from 5×07 after his fight with Peter. Nothing new.

I have given up hope that this season is going to blow me away. 9 episodes have been so-so and they are making it painfully obvious that Walter is going to die. The repeated, “I don’t want to lose any of you. Don’t let me go. I don’t want to become this man” is giving it away. Then I guess they will reset back to the day in the park and so in the end it will ultimately be all about Etta, a character who was in a total of 4 episodes. Wonderful.

12. Gerald says:

If we are travelling through time the best senario is going back far enough for Peter to be saved in this universe. If Walter figured out how to save his original Peter then none of this would have happened. And Destiny would have had Peter from “over here” find Olivia in a nother way.
    But if not that then my vote is for in the Park before the observers officially took over.

13. gitco says:

I hope they wont do any Resetting, with all due respect I prefer a logical ending and if they’ll go back in time they will create a paradox.

• prish says:

Oh, yah! Maybe September could take over as leader at the end, then take them back. Maybe the boy September is staying a certain age to remain under the radar, then mature, quickly, take over the Observer management. Walter could go back with him, etc.

14. Bobby says:

I still think Observer Walter is gonna end up being the big bad for the finale.

15. Davide D'Ortona says:

I think someone from the fringe team die to prevent that in the future there as observers disappear, or maybe walter peter left you need to create the device that observers in the neck …

16. Me says:

I’d rather not see anything that involves Etta. I like the idea of the final shot being Peter and Olivia in the park watching a new child play.

17. Alex says:

Etta will appear alive!

18. Chris says:

I don’t want ANY reset. Resets have been done to death on Fringe. These characters have worked hard to get where they are, and resetting denies all of that. I’m happy being done with the other universe, happy being done with the drowned boy thing, happy being done with the cortexiphan power stuff. I want them to finish out the Observer story, and leave us in a place of hope for Peter and Olivia and Walter.

I do want to know what the electromagnet and the red rocks are for though!

19. pakegler says:

I believe time resets back to just before the moment Walternate was distracted by the Observer. In this reset timeline the Observer never shows up in Walternate’s lab which means Walternate isn’t distracted and he discovers the cure to Peter’s illness. That means Walter has no reason to go to the other universe which means the two universes are never damaged which means life goes on as it was meant to be in both universes: Walter’s son is dead and Walternate’s son survives and lives out his life in his native universe.

20. Lewis says:

There has to be a reason that September intervened. Observers don’t get caught “observing” unless they want to get caught. I believe September targeted Peter and Olivia from the beginning. It was his attempt to stop the “Observers” from taking over the various time lines. I believe the little observer is actually the real Peter from this Universe. September might even be an older real “Peter”. September gave both Peters the virus that was “suppose” to kill them. He then caused Walter to save the other Peter. Walter’s real Peter didn’t actually die. Sorta like Etta pretended to be dead when they influtrated the Observers building. The appearance of September through the various timelines is out of sequence. I wouldn’t doubt they show the empty grave of little Peter somewhere in the final 2 episodes.

I don’t believe there a machine that will remove the Observers from the current timeline. I believe that Walter/William Bell created the technology “in another timeline” that brought about the Observers and that Walter eventually realizes this. The entire 5th season has been about the team coming to realize their various roles in the timelines. The reason Peter, Olivia and the little observer know the various timelines is because they are the only ones creating an alternate timeline. Thus you have the Time paradox explained. I believe the show will end with the beginning of season 1 with Walter, William Bell and maybe a few others absent. You will then see Peter and Olivia meeting, flirting and etc to establish a happy new future.

Just my penny. :)

• Lewis says:

Just wanted to followup on the idea that September might be an older Peter…. since Timelines are playing out simultaneously… and there are two of everything…. then a previous timeline on the alternate Universe may have created an alternate Observer/Peter. Just a thought.

21. Mikael says:

They keep flashing to the moment in the park, so I have a feeling that’s where it will end, but with no observers. Then maybe we’ll see “older” Peter/Olivia and Georgina Haig as Etta in a happy future. But I’m willing to bet that Walter somehow sacrifices himself. They’re focusing on his struggle to keep the old Walter from taking over, and I think he’ll stop himself and save the world at the same time. I’m dying to know what the child observer is all about. I figured he was an observer back in season 1 when he was being dropped off at his foster home and September was observing him. Interesting that some have theorized that he’s a young September.

22. GingerSnap says:

Given how much we’ve come to love these characters, what ending do we want to see for each of them?
    ****
    Resetting time leaves open the possibility that Olivia and Peter never meet. Is that what we want?
    ****
    Kind of like the idea that Peter is September. But how to wind all threads together?

23. Matt says:

I can’t believe this show is almost over. It’s easily one of the best sci-fi shows ever. It should have had a good seven or eight year run. Boo American public. Boo.

24. Arjen says:

I wish that there will be a 6th season at the end of season 5 … or maybe a movie for in the cinema!!!!

25. Not ready for the end, but just hope it is better than the Sopranos sitting around ordering french fries …

• Mark says:

Strangely, I enjoyed that ending of Sopranos, but I know many did not. But you are entirely correct. That type of ending would NOT work for Fringe. ;)

26. Adie Stone says:

Michael will become September, He will go back causing exactly what happened to happen again.
    Everything will come back around so it can forever keep happening the same way thus sticking the Observers into a constant time loop showing they aren’t as out of time as they believe.

27. Tita Cherrier says:

Walter, knowing it is all ‘his fault,’ makes a heart-renching decision to start life back when his son Peter dies. He does not go back for alt-Peter. Therefore, Olivia and Astrid and Broyles exist without a Peter . THey also exist in the alternative universe. And that universe’s Peter and Fauxlivia do get together, fall in love and have baby Henry.

28. ben says:

remember what sptember once said a couple of seasons ago the observer travelled back in time because they were dying. so in the end the observers are in a time loop. when the plan works all the the observers will go back in time and humananity will go on

29. Jane says:

I don’t know, but can’t wait to find out. As long as it doesn’t have some Dallas-show dream ending (Bobby in the shower, remember?), I think I’ll be okay. The writers have done a bang up job so far.

30. Vlad says:

I think William Bell is behind the Observers and Olivia somehow will solve the situation.
    Maybe Walter will develop the weapon to destroy all that things Observers had in ‘em and return to their first timeline.

31. that would be why the young observer knew olivia….he is connected with Peter….i like the Peter/oberserver idea and played with it too…..september will resurface….he was “kicked out” because of what he had done….he and the boy will help put things right….or get the observers to realize what they are missing out of themselves through the eyes of this child

32. Sid Ryan says:

Maybe they’ll do a “Blakes 7″ where it looks like everybody dies, and you’ll never really know what happened…..

33. kaniz says:

I am going to shed regardless where Peter and Olivia end up in their timeline.

34. Art says:

Peter is still in the maching from the end of season three.

35. Cody says:

I think it will end with the FOX network realizing they made a huge mistake ending the show.
    The execs will wish they actually had a time machine to correct their stupid error.
    :-)
    But, they’ll do nothing, … ’cause hey, … it’s the FOX network. DUH…!
    Need I say more? ;)

36. Clau125 says:

What I want to see in the Season Finale is Peter and Olivia being together and happy, no matter what… I love the whole story, but what I love the most is the absolutely beautiful relationship they have, so I do not want it to end or not even come into existence… That would be terribly dreadful… Peter and Olivia are meant to be together!

37. Maurstar says:

I wouldn’t like to adventure any theories about what will happen. The observer boy is still too intriguing and I guess a key unsolved mystery towards the ending. He grows up at such small rate that he might be the real key to stop, many years from now, the observers from developing their plan to come back to the past.

38. Andy says:

Defeating the observers could remove them from existence (past-present-future), which would mean September would not have distracted Walternate. At least one Peter would have lived, but I would not say Walter would have never crossed over. In fact even before he crossed to save Peter, they had already opened a portal and brought items (toy car, cell phone, etc) back to our universe. This is why I do not believe they will reset it to Peter’s childhood. I am glad that I do not know what the writers will do. There are many possibilities. Of course there is always the reset to the day in the park. Why not end it with Peter and Olivia going home to give their daughter a bath just as they planned?

39. mike says:

I wanna say William bell and September are the same person, I also came to the conclusion that he might be peter, but september saved peter, producing a causality lopp, aka a “bootstrap” paradox.

40. charis says:

I believe that we will return to the time Walter is about to cross the other universe but this time he won’t! it’s fringe! what could be a better end than that!!??

41. NickL says:

I am beginning to think of the theory that in the end we will see an 18 year old Walter coming out of a LSD trip and all of this will have been one heck of a trip!

42. I think there will be a reset, and they will have seemingly saved the world from the observers, but there will still be some remnant of evil. How else will the writers keep the possibility for a movie open? It will be a satisfying ending, but i don’t think it will be as perfect and neat as we want it to be. Also Jasika Nicole (Astrid) said that not everyone is going to make it. We will see who bites the dust. I can see Walter being a sacrifice (even though he is my favorite BY FAR).

43. Dr.cnet says:

i think walter can be leader for observers

44. Xochitek says:

Walter’s machine transforms the Observers into icky piles of jello. The camera trucks back revealing the set and studio lighting. Someone says “That’s a wrap!”. All the players walk off the set as the lights go out. Crew leaves and the set begins to be dismantled. Then the camera does a massive zoom out finally revealing the earth in space. In a spit second the earth dissolves leaving nothing. It turns out the Myans were right after all.

45. Berk says:

Walter will make a device that will create a temporal wormhole which’ll suck in everything that is not of the present time. But of course something really dramatic will be needed for the device to work which’ll be the thrilling part.

46. Fekkak Aze says:

I do not agree with your comments, we will compute probable several futures as observers do into this serie , otherwise we did not learn much in it , among the probable future, the end is rather the beginning, when peter was in the machine for him the time it lasted longer than the others, for others it was a matter of a few seconds,

47. Rob Knuth says:

We’ll find out it is someone’s dream. Nothing happened, but now the dreamer knows all the possibilities that could be to the point that they dreamed.

48. Fekkak Aze says:

I think even the producer of this series is upset. All probabilities are set to failure in advance, there will be many critics, most of us will not be satisfied,

49. To beat observers walter must stop past walter form saving peter when he was a child and therefore canceling out all timelines and reseting the field of play and stopping the observers from comming in the first place. Walter will protect (quantum bubble) the now peter and he becomes a source for many movies to come.

50. Darthlocke says:

My Theory: The Amber Time Line is an Ethereal Plane (please notice the words “ethereal plane” and “bi location” in s4 amber opening sequences). Peter is still inside, or kinetically connected to the machine. He is experiencing “Bardo” (please note: eastern philosophy references such as “The Tibetan Book of Dead” and “If You See the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!” Plus many Asain characters often relating to Walter/Walternate, Fringe event,s and Observers in China Town) in order cause “reciprocity” to balance the previous time line. (Season 5 has many allusions, parallels, and juxtapositions to the end of season 3 and a TON of Lost references!)

This way, should Peter return back to “his” time line, Henry and Henrietta have opportunities to have better futures and we could end with the red universe. -It might also be that Peter’s experience gave him insight that could help, should there be an additional final delema pending.

Otherwise the only other option seems to be a mass reset in the amber timeline…