The Voice Season 3 Finale Recap: Did the Right Person Win It All? [Updated]

voice season 3 top 3You knew it was an Important Night on The Voice because not once did social-media dingbat Christina Milian begin one of her excruciating interview segments by screeching her go-to salutation, “Hey-ey, what’s UP, Carrr-son?”

But that wasn’t the only holiday miracle on the Season 3 finale: With a two-hour running time for an announcement that could’ve/should’ve been handled in 15 seconds, odds were that the telecast would wind up feeling interminable. To my surprise and delight, however, the producers packed the proverbial stocking with so many musical goodies that I was forced to let go of my Grinchiest tendencies and just enjoy it. Okay, so my fantasy collaboration of Amanda Brown, De’Borah and Nicole Nelson never materialized, but as the Stones once told us, “you can’t always get what you want.”

PHOTOS | The Voice: 25 Best Performances of Season 3

What we did get was a pretty darn satisfying conclusion to three months of intense, sometimes thrilling, sometimes infuriating competition. Without further ado…the envelope please…

Third Place: Nicholas David
Second Place: Terry McDermott
Season 3 Champ: ¡Cassadee Pope!

RELATED | The Voice Season 3 Performance Finale Recap: May the Best Woman Win

I’ve got to admit that while Cassadee’s early-season hype-to-performance ratio often left me with the sinking feeling that the show’s producers were trying to force-feed me government cheese with an artisanal label, the former Hey Monday frontwoman improved so rapidly and so markedly over the last seven or eight weeks that all I can do now is wish her sincere congratulations and root for her to become (along with Amanda) The Voice‘s first post-show chart-topper. In both the semifinal and final performance-show telecasts, she took more risks, sounded more current and hit just as many big notes as any of her competitors. And having that charming bastard Blake Shelton as her coach didn’t hurt a bit, either.

But let’s press pause on the larger Season 3 picture for a moment and do a quick review of the 13 performances from the finale:

Rihanna: “Diamonds” | Is it weird that I get all conspiracy-theory crazy when Rihanna sings on pitch? Yeah, she used a backing track instead of background vocalists on the chorus, but she actually sounded really good. And I don’t think it was a ventriloquist’s trick, either! Grade: B+

Terry McDermott (joined by Amanda Brown, Michaela Paige, Bryan Keith and Rudy Parris): Kiss’s “Rock and Roll All Nite” | I could be nitpicky and complain that the stage manager had the backlighting cranked up so high that there were moments where keeping my eye on the TV screen felt like looking directly into the sun. But that aside, Terry showed excellent taste in collaborators, and while it’s almost impossible to make Kiss’ party anthem much more than fun karaoke, Amanda’s incredible solos on the verse left me squee-ing. Grade: A-

Nicholas David and Smokey Robinson: “Cruisin'” | I was really hoping the show’s producers would pair Nicholas with a current radio artist (but not Ke$ha) or have him sing a current-ish radio hit (but not anything by Ke$ha), but it’s hard to complain too much about Smokey. I just wish the sound mix hadn’t put the background singers front and center on the chorus. Grade: B

The Killers and Cassadee Pope: “Here With Me” | For what was billed as a duet, it was kind of weird that Cassadee only got to come out for the final chorus. (On a shallow note: How come I don’t recall Brandon Flowers ever being quite so hot? Adam Levine beware!) Grade: B-

Mackenzie Bourg, Diego Val, Julio Cesar Castillo, Cody Belew, and Dez Duron: “Stacy’s Mom” | The old-fashioned diner set, the dancing waitresses, the sound mix that had whole chunks of the melody disappearing? And, oh, the utter randomness of the quintet itself, which was low on chemistry and high on awkward choreography? A total mess. Sigh. Grade: C-

Kelly Clarkson (with Cassadee Pope and Terry McDermott): “Catch My Breath” | Kelly’s atrocious Golden Girls-collection bathrobe notwithstanding, this was a musical delight that allowed for Team Blake’s Top 2 to shine as well. Also: Isn’t it great that the original American Idol is such a success, she transcends reality-show boundaries? (Although it had to sting Simon Fuller when Kelly called The Voice the biggest show out there right now. Then again, at least she didn’t try to convince us that title belonged to Duets.) Grade: A-

Cassadee Pope (joined by De’Borah, Liz David, and Melanie Martinez): “It’s Time” | Love her or not, there’s no denying Cassadee has great taste in collaborators — or that the quartet’s voices blended rather nicely on this pop-rock ditty. Here’s hoping Cassadee’s new label loves the idea of a De’Borah duet on her solo debut album! Grade: A-

Peter Frampton and Terry McDermott: “Baby I Love Your Way” | I can’t help but feel like this was Frampton’s (or Mark Burnett’s) scathing response to Emblem3’s awful cover on last week’s X Factor. And while I wasn’t always the biggest fan of Terry’s musical choices this season, this stripped down rendition was really sublime. Grade: A

Sylvia Yacoub, Joselyn Rivera, Adriana Louise, Devyn Deloera and Loren Allred: “Best of My Love” | This quintet of talented but inconsistent contestants barely missed a note while breathing new life into a disco classic. They might seriously want to consider joining forces to break through the public consciousness in their post-Voice careers, though I’m not sure who’d be the Beyoncé: Sylvia or Joselyn. (Side note: How jacked-up was the opening shot of Devyn’s shimmying back while Adriana was the person actually singing the start of the verse?) Grade: B+

Bruno Mars: “When I Was Your Man” | I always feel like big stars who show up for reality-show finales should share the spotlight with a contestant (like, say, Amanda Brown). But Bruno was in such fine voice — and the song was such a winner — that I’ll make the rare exception here. Grade: A

Nicholas David (joined by Amanda Brown, Trevin Hunte, and Dez Duron): “End of the Road” | I can’t lie and say that a Boyz II Men ballad would’ve made a list of the top 5,000 songs I’d want to hear, but this quartet made me borderline enjoy it. Still, someone needs to have a talk with Trevin already about the dangers of acid-wash denim. Grade: B+

Avril Lavigne and Cassadee Pope: “I’m With You” | I’d have preferred the duo chose a duet that Cassadee hadn’t already covered this season — maybe “Girlfriend” or “Keep Holding On”? — but it was cool to see the Season 3 champ get a chance to sing with her idol. Did anyone else think Cassadee was really generous handing off almost every one of the big, showy notes to Avril? Grade: B+

Blake, Xtina, Cee Lo and Adam: “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” | Here’s something Simon, L.A., Britney and Demi would never be able to pull off on X Factor, that’s for sure. Oh, and Xtina’s super-high harmonies at the end were a real treat: She may be a bit of a hot-mess as a TV personality, but damn she’s talented. Grade: A-

Oh, and before I turn things over to you, I’ve got to give Blake the MVP award for bringing tons of cheeky humor to the season finale. I was howling over his “Damn, boy. You’re hot.” remark in the segment about how he has no problems telling other men when he thinks they’re good-looking. And his eyebrow raise during his “I have a special package for you” birthday wish to Xtina is just further proof that he needs to host SNL before that show’s Season 38 comes to an end.

Anyhow, now it’s time for your take: Did the right contestant take home the big enchilada? What was your favorite results-night collaboration? Sound off below, and for all my Voice-related news, contestant interviews, recaps and video, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Elizabeth says:

“And the winner of The Voice Season 3 is… Amanda Brown!”

• Tiff says:

Yeah, pretty much. It was SO GOOD to see Amanda back on TV. She killed it on her group performances.

• jaxguy says:

She was FAR FAR better than anyone on the show tonight. I DID NOT WATCH the whole show just fast forwarded to her performances.
      Mediocrity has triumphed once again.
      Thanks America you have no taste.
      Amanda Brown WAS THE VOICE.
      I just can’t watch this show any longer.
      It was more about the judges, especially Christina and Blake.
      I’m completely over this show.

• Danny says:

Jax, see ya next March. Enjoy your holidays.

• Dan says:

Just STFU. So tired of posters such as this guy saying he/she is “so over” this show or that show. You’re going to continue to watch as you always have, just as the rest of us do, because there si something about shows like these that draw people in — it’s wanting to see good singers sing, regardless of judges, judges’ antics, over-production, etc. Each new season holds new hope and excitement with a new crop of potentials, so yeah, you’ll be planted, once again, on yoru ass in front of the tube watching.

• Guest says:

Not true at all.

• jaxguy says:

You Dan are full of yourself. There is plenty to watch other than America celebrating mediocrity. If I want mediocrity I will listen to top 40 or country radio. I have stopped watching other shows like this, AI for an example. New judges and new rules will no longer lure me to this crap. I didn’t watch the show last night in full. Just caught the performances of the people who were really talented. Have fun Dan. I will be doing better things and watching better things. I only plant my ASS in front of the tube for 5 or 6 shows a week but I refuse to waste my time any longer. I won’t invest my time watching America vote for ordinary stuff. If I had cable I wouldn’t be watching this anyway. I would be watching real talent shows like Top Chef where experts determine the winner. Whether I like their choices or not at least they have the knowledge and expertise to crown the best based on something. These show are determined by teenage girls, people who wallow in sentimentality or some crazy emotion. They dislike real talent, especially singing based on stupid things like age or emotional connection to song choice or they hate ballads or they hate singers who actually have beautiful singing voices and brand them boring. Terry was about as generic as you could get. Like him and his back story carried him along way but he is NOT a unique talent. Cassadee same. Nicholas at least sounded different although there were way more worthy finalist than he. If anyone else this season had covered material as old as Nick they would have been lambasted on these sites. To me a great song is a great song and as long as as a singer performs the well I’m just fine with that. So NO Dan I will not be watching in March.

• Danny says:

Heya Jax- Just so ya know I’m not Dan. I was saying my comment in a friendly way. Whether ya decide to watch the show or not, it makes no difference to me. I’m certainly not going to argue w/ anyone over if they want to watch a show or not. I do think you’ll be back, since your posts seem passionate. If you’re not though, hope ya enjoy whatever ya do decide to watch.

Either way, Happy Holidays.

• Dan says:

With the amount of time, energy, and page space you took up to write this reply, I bet you watch everything on TV. My point, dufus, was not that there AREN’T other things to watch, but rather that countless posters say that, but probably 1/10 of them actually mean it. The rest say it in anger/protest, but will be back to watch nonetheless (curiosity, forgiveness of past indiscretions on the show, etc.). And, btw, whether I am full of myself or not has no bearing on the topic of discussion. Maybe I am, maybe not. Focus, jaxguy, focus.

• Joe says:

She’s too good for a reality singing competition. Voters like to see flaws and growth. Amanda was a confident polished finished product. Considering we’re a nation of underdogs, it’s hard to root for that. That being said, every time she moved on stage and opened her mouth tonight she blew everyone including the winner away. Really like Cassadee, but Amanda is from another planet.

Amen, bro, amen.

• bbl says:

I’m a voter, and I like to see results. It would make me happy if *all* of the contestants were as seasoned and as polished as Amanda Brown, if virtually every performance was a “moment”. It’s a nice story to see a kid with a dream make it big, but at the end of the day — and in the long term — it’s all about the music these contestants are going to produce.

I closed my eyes and I literally could not tell if Cassadee or Avril were singing to me. People criticized Jessica Sanchez for sounding similar to a variety of [stellar] artists, while it seems that people praise Cassadee despite sounding exactly like one. I just don’t get it.

I was hoping for someone more original and versatile, but congrats to Cassadee just the same.

• Yo' says:

Actually, the reasons you state that Amanda could not win are the same reasons I did not want Cassadee to. I would like to like the girl, I just can’t: she looks like she has been on stage forever. Almost too much poise (although Terry is similar).

• Temperence says:

Exactly.

• Jude says:

Agree completely. Although he was difficult to watch, I became a big fan of Nicholas…his voice is like no other and it was great to see his metamorphosis.

• Charley says:

Yep absolutely! Amanda Brown can sing circles around Cassadee Pope. It’s kind of embarrassing just how much better Amanda is than Cassadee.

• alsmom70 says:

I think Amanda is extremely talented BUT, and maybe I am misinformed about how things work, when I see a back up singer for a famous person (like in Amanda’s case with Adele) I always wonder why they need to win The Voice? I would assume they would have more opportunities to get their musical career started than your average Joe or Jane off the street. I love Cassadee but with her having toured with Fall Out Boy and Pete Wentz (sp?) showing up to support her, couldn’t he have somehow helped her out? Though I realize FOB hasn’t had anything out in forever but he is still pretty known and most especially at the time they were touring. IDK maybe it’s just as hard for those with a foot in the door as it is for those with the door completely closed to them? At any rate, though I liked Amanda, I didn’t get the feeling I would very much like the type of music she would release if she makes it big. That is one factor I look at when I vote. I also voted for a few people on AI over the years only to have them release music that I didn’t care for. So, I do tend to vote with people that I think I will still be a fan of when the competition is over if they are lucky enough to make it on their own in the business.

2. Sam says:

So anticlimactic.

3. Taylor says:

I can’t help envisioning the Amanda-Cassadee-Melanie final three that could have been. But with the final three we got, I think the right person took home the crown. Best of luck, Ms. Pope.

• jaxguy says:

Cassadee is a pretty girl with a bland voice that offers nothing interesting. I liked her but when she sang with the former contestants it only drove home how ordinary she sounds. She may make a splash at first but I don’t see a Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood success for her. Too bad. But I will be looking for an Amanda Brown album which I will buy as soon as it’s released.

• wingeyes says:

Yeah , all of the girls killed it and she sounded… bland. Deborah was amazing… and I wished that cristina had taken her farther she would have maybe won. Dez Duron sounded good as well as Mackenzie ( who I have a feeling has a longer career than we know)
        She was given three more songs than the other contestants , it really wasn’t very fair this year. They need to do away with the AI format and stick to last year when the judge’s votes counted for more

• Kiki says:

Dear Cassadee, there’s a reason Avril’s not on the radio right now. Good luck because if you do get anything on the radio I will risk a ticket to change the station as fast as I can.

• MoonAngelwings says:

AMEN!

4. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

the one thing NBC needs to work on is their quick endings. Once again, the very, very end was a little rushed. Winner’s name, confetti just starts falling, winner just barely starts to sing the first few words, BOOM show over, 11PM news is going, just like that.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I think Shakira is going to be good for some wacky fun next season (a great stage performer too, very much not an auto-tuned studio bot, she can sing, dance, command a stage very, very well).

• Tiff says:

I know, I hate that. They need a few moments of people hugging!

• Dan says:

Totally concur. For the life of me, I do not understand why these singing shows — all of them — spend so many months in competition, endearing their contestants to the home audience, then when we finally declare a winner, we have about 15 seconds to celebrate with (or boo) the winner. Is it not possible to nix maybe 10 minutes or so of the BS/fluff during the earlier parts of the show and instead dedicate it to the end, after the winner is announced? Good grief already.

5. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Congrats to Cassadee and the rest of the contestants!

6. JAO says:

Show was great tonite. I really enjoyed all the performers. Loved Casadee & The Killers! Classy! Glad she won. Best of luck to Terry & Nicholas too! This show beat AI.

• Dan says:

I agree, except I hate during these finale shows when contestants are paired with the professional acts, but then only get about 10-15 seconds worth of singing, and usually towards the end of the song, as was the case with Cassadee with The Killers. Why is that? Do the producers not trust that the contestants will be able to hold their own? Do the professional acts not trust the contestants (and don’t want to run the risk of tarnishing their song or image?

7. Tiff says:

Also, Michael: “artisanal”

That was a very predictable result, but whatevs.

8. Courtney S says:

I think Terry & Nicholas were ROBBED!! They always seem to pick the cookie-cutter/ mainstream voices. I LOVE Nicholas’ throwback soul & Terry’s classic rock vibe!!!!

• Crittab says:

Agreed. Terry and Nicholas would have both been very deserving winners, and I’m waiting, waiting, waiting for one of this show’s more unique singers to take it home.

• PATTY says:

agree!!! loved the men better.

• Billy says:

Terry would have been robbed if it was 1980 and thats about the only time…hes stuck in the ’80s with his music and until he moves from there he has NO chance in the music industry unless he’s in a cover band…

• Dee says:

He has a great voice. I think he should have won. I don’t think that there is anything unique or even memorable about Cassadee’s voice. She is cookie cutter, white bread, bland, and not amazing in the least. I think she’s a cute girl, and that’s why she won. She is marketable. I think Terry should have taken the whole thing. Also, the 80’s type music has been back for a while, so he is not as dates as you think.

• Billy says:

I know 80s music has been back for awhile but the thing is the 80s music that is popular is 80s music actually released in the 80s not recently…

• gailer says:

TRUE!! He was so 80s.

• Darien says:

I totally agree with you. Terry and Nicholas are both better vocalists. Cassadee has a voice that makes me cringe. Amanda Brown was far more talented & versatile than Ms. Pope.

• masokist says:

Totally agree with you, Casadee,,,hundreds of singers that sound like her, on the other hand Nicholas has the most original sounding voice, and Terry is very close behind.
      The wrong person won. Should have been either Terry or Nicholas!

• Melissa says:

I completely agree!!

9. Spycig says:

So happy Cassadee won as I’ve been a fan since ‘Over You’ and yep she’s just gotten better each week! Love Terry too, glad he was runner up! I really think Blake is the best coach as he seems to really tune into his artists, see what their strengths are and what the voting public are responding to and putting it altogether to make his artists shine! I really hope they put the money and effort into promoting Cassadee to ensure a Voice Winner that is a commercial success! I think try should put Cassadee with Country songwriters but have her put her pop/rock twist on it and release as a Pop artist as most of her No 1 iTunes hits were Country songs she turned Pop!

10. Blair says:

I think she’ll be successful so happy for her even though she wasn’t one of my favourites. It was a GREAT season overall and loved seeing some of faves again tonight such as Cody and Amanda!
    Going to miss Christina and CeeLo next season… their group performance was excellent!

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Yeah that was a good group performance by the four coaches at the end. The two will be missed.
      At least Shakira should be interesting too though.
      Yeah good to see Amanda back again so many times and Cody demonstrated some more good stage command and can’t forget De’Borah and Joselyn too.
      Great to see everyone back.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

CeeLo was the only one to turn his chair for Amanda and like half the other top few I think.

11. Christie says:

Say what you want about Cassadee, but she brought back De’borah for her group number. The only way I could’ve been happier with that group would have been with Amanda, but my guess is it would have been a problem if Amanda performed on the finale more than Nicholas (though I wouldn’t have necessarily complained).

• Crittab says:

Agreed there. I love De’Borah and Melanie, so it was awesome to see them both chosen for a number with the finalists.

12. Crittab says:

Should have been Terry or Nicholas. I’m convinced that the only reason Cassadee made it to the finals was because of her Hey Monday fan base. Her falsetto is lovely, but her full voice and upper register sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. I wish her and all of them the best, but I can’t help but be disappointed with the result.

• Dan says:

Nicholas? Maybe. Terry, hell no — his voice sounds like nails in my ear. Just do not understand why so many rate this guy so high. On not one song did he ever hit the highs as they weer originally done by the original artists, and even when he came close, he just sounded like he was reaching/straining.. Nice guy, nice family, but no, not for the win. Besides, he always looked like he was either scared, or bored, or both.

13. Sophia says:

Totally (and predictable) disappointment. Amanda Brown, Nicholas David and a few others were robbed but I’m not worried about them as I know they will go on to better things. I think I’m just bummed that a mediocre pitchy singer like Cassadee Pope will soon be all over the radio airwaves. I’ll recognize that bland voice and change the station right away. Hopefully the hype will die down and she will just fade away.

• Crittab says:

I hope Cassadee has great success, as I do for all of them, but yeah, I pretty much agree with your assessment of her. When she’s in her falsetto she sounds quite nice, but her full voice is just painful.

• Sam says:

She was one of my faves, but I agree. I kept hoping for it to get better because she would be the total package. Her full out singing is just so painful to hear. Even tonight I was listening and wanting it to be more than it was. Uugh.

• Dan says:

What a hateful ass. If you don’t care for one’s singing, then just state so and move on. It’s usually small-minded, talentless individuals who find it necessary to assassinate others, rather than to objective (or subjectively) critique.

14. Kathy says:

Hey, it is not a bad night when Amanda Brown got to sing with Terry and Nicholas, as artists both want to sing and share the stage, again. De’Borah got to be on stage with Cassadee. Cassadee got to sing with Avril! The biggest surprise, each top 3 contestant got Kia Car! You can tell by their faces that they weren’t expecting that. Congrats to Cassadee.

15. dj says:

I loved the show tonight, but the iTunes voting rules make the results a foregone conclusion instead of a nailbiter. I am still not excited about Casadee, but I wish her well. I will be more interested to see what Nick, Amanda, De’Borah, and some of the others release in the future.

16. Very dissapointed, Terry or Nicholas should’ve won, CP didn’ t deserve to win it, I don’t like her voice, she’s very boring, Terry and Nicholas sings better than her, she’s very pitchy all the time.

• Crittab says:

Boring is a good descriptor. When she’s into her high notes they feel like they aren’t going anywhere (kind of like the noise you hear when you flick on a TV station that gives you the colour spectrum and the loud ‘boooooooooop’). I honestly don’t know what the judges were talking about when they insisted that she got the lyrics and sold the emotions behind the songs. Her performances all felt totally flat to me.

17. Rick says:

This is my first favorite to ever win on one of these shows :D

18. Crittab says:

Re: Christina Milian – can we PLEASE get Alison Haislip back? I don’t understand why they made that switch in the first place, but it was a terrible decision.

• Billy says:

because Christina was a “musician’ and Alison is a video game person…thats the only reason i can think of…

• Dan says:

OK, OK, let’s be grateful we have Christina Milian on The Voice. We could have the Kardashian-Lopez dynamic duo. Ugghhhhh . . . we love you Christina!

19. David says:

The winner should have been Amanda Brown. She was the best singer, by far. But instead we get a generic pop singer who will fade as quickly as the winners of season one and two.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I’m OK with Cassadee but yeah Amanda was just simply THE voice this season, no doubts.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Would’ve been a really awesome top finale set if only Amanda had also been added into the mix.

• Stephen says:

You are a poor loser. Blame the system, not the artist. Cassadee has more fans than you. Likewise in any election, the popular one wins. Accept the result and take Amanda out for a drink. The 3 artists in the final didn’t have much time to prepare their songs, solo or duet. They sang under enormous pressure. Amanda had all the time to prepare her song in this finale. That is the difference.

20. Danny says:

Considering her I tunes sales, I’d say Cassadee was the right winner. People who don’t like the result will generally pipe up more than people who do, but I think the Voice got this one right.

21. kcostell says:

Not the right one, but at least she was one of the best three of this year’s contestants who made it to the final week.

• Dan says:

Clearly, everyone’s take on who should have one is as diverse as CeeLo’s wardrobe. But let’s ask ourselves this: since the show IS called THE VOICE, if this weer just a radio show, where one could only be heard and judged on voice alone, who should/would have won? Having said that, and since we do have the benefit (?) of TV, on sex appeal alone, Amanda wins hands down (and up). I am happy with the Cassadee win. There are always going to be multiple deserved winners, and the truth is, only one can win.

22. MyTake says:

I preferred Nick over Cassadee, and Amanda better than everyone, too bad she wasn’t in the final. But back on topic of the winner Cassadee. Doesn’t anyone else feel like we’ve witnessed great big slight of hand/bait and switch this season?
    It’s pretty obvious that the Country music voting continent is HUGE on these singing shows. There was Lauren (2nd place), and then winner of AI last year Scotty McCreery. Then we have Tate Stevens going all the way to the finals on X-factor and up until then #1 or #2 in voting every week. So yah the country music fans have some serious voting power.
    THen we have Cassadee Pope coming on the Voice as a pop/rock singer to audition. She’s muddling along ok then has her breakout when Blake has her sing a country song and all of a sudden everyone is saying how GREAT she is. Really her best performances and probably her highest selling on iTunes (and therefore most votes) were when she sang country songs. Great, that got her to the end and finally to win. But does anyone really believe she’s suddenly become passionate about country music? Is she going to pursue a country music career? HELL NO! Ain’t going to happen if everything she’s said about herself up to now was true. Her heart is in pop/rock NOT country.
    I laughed when Carson, near the end of the show said how Cassadee had remained “True to herself” as a pop/rock singer when she was about to sing with Avril Lavigne. Of all the contestants, Cassadee was the least true to herself but more importantly, to the audience in my opinion.
    Have to give both Blade and her credit for playing the game and us, in order to make sure she won. Bait and switch.. yah
    But now what?

• MyTake says:

Ooops Scotty won 2nd last AI.. My mistake but I still stand behind the bait and switch on the Voice this season.

• Dean says:

Cassadee tried out a different genre and put a pop-rock spin on it. Showing versatility is important for artists and that’s what she did with country. She remained true to herself because even though she tried something different, she will always be the pop-rock girl. Every artist went out of their genre at some point. And she has said that she would like to do country more now than before. Just because she grew an appreciation for something else doesn’t mean she isn’t true to herself, it means that she is.

• Dan says:

So, let me get this straight (and who cares if she decides to stick with country or not, her choice), you think that it was merely the fact that she and Blake PICKED a country song. Maybe, just maybe, it was the fact that she sang it so damned well. Spiteful idiot.

• Alienate says:

It appears that ANYBODY can sing a COUNTRY song and get huge votes. Reference: Tate Stevens, X-factor, Scotty, AI, etc…

• Dean says:

Two people are suddenly anybody? I don’t watch American Idol or X Factor, but Cassadee did well in all the country songs. I prefer her pop-rock, but her country performances were better and charted number one.

• Alienate says:

Well, if you don’t watch, how in hell can you see what I’m talking about? Where to you think WGWG came from? Average males with the slightest country twang get votes. Period. Amen.

23. Davey says:

The Voice turned out to be a very expensive commercial campaign for Cassadee with Terry as backup. They were calling Pope a star from the beginning. But I never bought it.

24. dlferriola says:

I am really happy about Cassadee winning. Each week she got better & better. Her songs that were country with a pop twist is the path she should follow. I purchased every song of hers in the last couple of weeks that Blake guided her to sing and they are great with her voice. Nicks voice is unique also and am lookung forward to his career taking off too.

25. And now we never hear from her again like everybody else from this show. The Voice may be a more entertaining show to watch but they will never make stars like Idol does.

• Davey says:

The show’s format is strange so you don’t get to know the artists well enough to build up a star. But this season more than the first two had some real talent and I think some of the eliminated singers could have done as well as Cassadee or even better after the show.

• David says:

The problem with this show is that the judges have too much of a say as to who stays and who goes for most of the competition. Many good singers were eliminated by them early on. This is the third season and none of the finalists from the first two seasons have had a hit CD. They really need to change the format and give the audience more of a say.

• Dan says:

The judges have too much say? The judges, more so than most, know what the hell they are talking about. I wish that on these shows judges (and maybe a larger panel of them) picked winners and losers throughout the duration of each season. Hell, I never vote on these shows — I just like to see good talent perform & advance. How many times do we, as the viewing audience, whine and wail when the truly talented performers (hello Amanda Brown, Pia Toscano, and Elise Testone) get sent packing too early — all thanks to the bewildered/befuddled viewing public? I dothink the competition between judges and their respective “teams” needs to go (and I was glad for the rule change this year that ended the requirement of each team being represented down to the wire), but I would rather see people in the know making the call. Screw the voting public.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I don’t see how more power to judges would help when they pick CeCe over Beatrice, try to (other than Mr. Tyler) impale Haley and then run her over with a fleet of buses and half the time seemed to warming up some buses for Elise, Simon couldn’t be rid of Siobhan fast enough, etc. On XFactor there is team scheming, on Idol there schemes to be production scheming which makes puppets out of the judges or so it seems. If the judges picked the winner last year I bet Juliet would have won. This year you’d like to think Amanda, but who knows, I’m not sure how it would have played out at all.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Maybe if there were no teams and you had judges allowed to and told to be 100% serious and they acted like sing-off judges or something. As it stands I’d trust The Voice judges the most to do it, although certainly, as we see in some battle rounds and such, not everyone will agree with every last decision.

• Dan says:

That’s why I mentioned “a larger panel of judges”. Look, no outcome is going to be perfect — no solution will satisfy everyone, and many will invariably disappointed with the outcome. One thing is for certain — when it gets down to leaving it in the hands of the voters, seldom, if ever, have they gotten it right. Too many special interests, too may teenie-boppers with too much time and free cell minutes on their hands. Aside from maybe the forst 4-5 seasons of AI, the voting public took real huge notice of these shows, and figured out how to game the system. My point is: no teams, a few more judges (even if some of them are behind the scenes). Most of us watch solely for the talent, and we want to see the best rise, and the best of the best win. Voting public, as a whole, will never get there.

• Dean says:

No one from the first season made it big, but you can’t really judge season two yet because it takes about a year to make an album, and it’s only been six/seven months since season two ended. I think that many people from season two/three will make it big. Juliet Simms and Tony Luca have a pretty decent fan base, and Chris Mann sang for Obama. Everyone loves Trevin, Amanda, and Melanie, and Cassadee has a large fan base as well. I agree that season one was a flop, but I think everyone else has a good chance of making it big.

• gailer says:

EXACTLY! I only watch this show for the judges. I have no clue who won the other seasons.

26. wingeyes says:

It was totally written on the wall by the itunes charts. I liked the other format better… they just need the judges to use better judgement. Seeing deborah come back makes me realize how good some of the outed contestants were. Casadee paled in comparison to those other women that she chose.
    It seemed the voice groomed her from start to finish, she had hte most song choices this episode, and the most current songs.
    Nicholas was amazing, and I wish he can get a chance to show his modern take on things.
    On a side note… did anyone notice that the girl group who sang, which had all the mini cristina’s really sounded good together? They blend really well. They should do a girl group with them… like Girls Aloud. ( A uk band which came out fo a reality show that sounds like them)

27. Christie says:

Also, did anyone else notice that the number of times the final 3 sang corresponded to what place they got? Cassadee got to sing the most, followed by Terry, followed by Nicholas (Amanda and Dez sang as many songs as he did though). NBC what exactly are you trying to say?

28. Jill says:

I can’t get over Carson saying…”Here, with her hero, Avril Lavigne” Said no one ever before tonight!!!! I’m glad I wasn’t drinking anthng, I would have spit it out

29. Davey says:

They need to get rid of the iTunes rule. It made the show too predictable.

30. Jaime C says:

Cassadee is the reason I have been fast forwarding thru the show the past 3 weeks. She is surely nothing special. And Michael did you see she didn’t even pretend to look surprised!! What a poser!!!

• Dean says:

She was just in shock. It wasn’t like she was grinning ear to ear, grabbing her 150 grand and recording contract with arms wide open. Give her some slack, even if you don’t think she should have won. She could barely even speak when Carson asked her how she was feeling. You don’t have to like her, but don’t disrespect her. She is just human after all.

31. Tani Kaimi says:

Where is last yrs winner of show?? & What was their name? I rest my case another good but boring singer won a reality show! Nicholas is truly unique and will sell records and perform with other well known artists! Cassie may sell one or 2 itune singles?TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED!Will not watch show next year or Idol the vewiers suck in voting!

32. Billy says:

I was kinda already on the whole Casadee sounds like Avril bandwagon but when they performed together i was looking at my phone and thought Cassadee performed the first part but i was shocked to see Avril singing when I looked up….Cassadee has no chance in the industry because if she wants to be Avril and sounds like Avril she must realize Avril hasnt been relevent or popular since 2005…

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

She’s been popular way more recently than 2005! Come on. She’s been all over the radio way more recently than that.

• Sara says:

What rock have you been living under…?

• Billy says:

My bad you all we right…it’s been since 2007 since she’s had a top 10 single……my mistake

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Yeah and I guess like with The Voice 11th doesn’t count, it’s the first loser, but 10th is 10x votes. She had a single hit #11 just LAST YEAR. I don’t know where you live but she’s still been on the radio since 2007. Sure, not to the same degree since 2007 and the early-mid 00’s, but still around.
        In addition to a top 11 single she also made 34th place in Billboard Artist of the year chart just last year, as in 2011, as in ONE year ago, and yeah that is not CRAZY high, but managing 34th is FAR from long gone (check out how many super well known names that are still considered totally current and relevant were below 34th last year).

• Billy says:

I live in the 4th largest city in the United States thank you very much so we do have really good radio stations here…and if you want to quote charts lets do that…on THIS YEARS chart shes not even listed so….yeah not very good plus bringing it back to my point….(as you stated) if Avril isn’t able to keep all of the fanbase she had (i do admit she has kept some and hasn’t totally left) how is Cassadee going to be able to cultivate a fanbase when she is going to be pretty much an Avril clone……

• Dean says:

Despite how wrong you are about Avril, Terry and Nick’s style is much older than Cassadee. Nick always sange old soul songs and Terry was into classic rock from the eighties. At least Cass sang songs from this decade, and was the most current in the top three. Back to Avril, she wasn’t on this year because she hasn’t releases anything this year. Plenty of artists take a year or two off, it’s not shocking nor does it make them washed up. Also, she’s working on a new ablum that will come out in 2013, so your argument doesn’t make much sense.

33. teatime says:

Cassadee did not have my favorite Voice this season. However she really grew on me many weeks ago. She is poised and likeable. She certainly can sing. Some of her performances really were among the best this season. I think she has star power. AND more than 2 of her covers were of songs less than 25 years old! I am happy she won. I wish her fame and fortune.

34. Leondre says:

I would have preferred Nicholas for the win, but I’m okay with the result. This season was much better than last year’s. I can only remember like 4 or 5 contestants from last year.

35. Sara says:

I’m so happy Cassadee won. I enjoyed her in Hey Monday, but I think I will enjoy her much more as a solo artist. I can’t wait to see what direction genre wise she plans to take. I would absolutely love it if she and Terry did a duet on her album – they sounded great together. It would be cool to hear Blake and Cassadee do a duet on her album too. Hope to hear some stuff from Terry too, I loved him. Would have been happy if he won too :)

36. Keri says:

It doesn’t bother me that Cassadee won, even though Amanda was way better IMO. They really need to get rid of the ITunes voting, it makes the show way too predictable and takes all the excitement out of the elimination process. I don’t know about anyone else but I wish they would bring back the fact that every team had a singer in the finale. I think it would have been way more interesting with Amanda, Cassadee, Nicholas, and Devin.

• Aria says:

I’m sorry, Devin? DEVIN? As in Team Xtina’s Devyn Delora, who didn’t even make the Top 12? I hope you mean Dez, although my pick would have been Sylvia from Team Xtina.

• Kray0n says:

Amanda won’t be the Team Adam finalist if they had the same rule as last year. You’d have Melanie Martinez — she was Adam’s favorite and she also has been selling more iTunes than Amanda. She would either outlast Amanda by votes, or Adam would save her. So you’ll have Cassadee, Melanie, Trevin (CeeLo would save Trevin, guaranteed) and Dez.

• davey says:

No, I think Adam would have chosen Amanda over Melanie in the end. Because Amanda had the better voice and had paid more dues.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I agree, as much as he seemed to be under some sort of Melanie spell, he Amanda really did seem to be his #1 no question.
          And the other judges I think other than perhaps Blake? I think would’ve taken Amanda too.

• Kray0n says:

I really think if it comes to choosing between Amanda and Melanie, Adam would go with Melanie. Heck, there are rumors that he already signed Melanie to his label, and no word yet on Amanda. Melanie is original Team Adam, while Amanda was lucky that there are steals this year or she would have not made it beyond the battle rounds — CeeLo picked Trevin over her.

If Amanda didn’t sing “Dream On” on Top 20 playoffs and advanced to top 12 by votes, I doubt Adam would have saved her over Melanie or Joselyn.

37. Guitar Blue says:

The notoriety from winning, and now having the attention of the publicity combines and connections — will help Cassadee to take a big step-up in her career.

That is, from where she was before the show; the lead singer with a punk/Mod-Rock type of band, doing show openers for better known bands.

However, she doesn’t have a full-bodied voice, like a Kelly Clarkson, Faith Hill or Christina, etc. She gets almost inaudible in the lower register and gets a little shouty in the upper high notes. In the studio, auto-tune can fix a lot of that, But, I doubt we will see her taking a place among the main stars in Pop or Country either one.

But she should have a fair run over the next year or two, for getting good gigs, and now she has a recording contract.

38. Maddie says:

You know I have to say, Cassadee was not my season favorite but I was not sad at all to see her win. I think this season has been full of really good singers, and the only true injustice was seeing Amanda go home so early (seems everyone agrees with me which is one of the reasons why I don’t like the x10 iTunes vote system). I went into the finale thinking I would be happy if any if the three won, and I walk away from this season hoping to hear music from multiple new artists. However, if you thought anyone but Cassadee was going to win this season, you were kidding yourself. Multiplying the iTunes by ten AND making them count inclusively towards the final score made it impossible for anyone to win but Cassadee. Without even arguing about fairness, it did kind of take the fun out of things because we all knew who was going to win before it happened.

• slutty alien says:

Neither Jermaine nor Javier Intestines topped iTunes the way Cassadee did. She’s not my cup of tea and just not a fan of her but the public downloading her songs can’t be beaten. At the end of the day it might be The Voice but it’s also about sales!

39. DeeDee says:

Terry was the best of the finial three!!! Cassadee was good but Terry was the only unique voice on The Voice. I won’t be looking for any of Cassadee’s records if she ever makes one. But, I am looking forward to Terry’s he has his own sound and stays within his gendra instead of all over the place like you don’t know who you are.

40. Justin says:

The female group thrown together from Adam and Christina’s team was better than 5th Harmony.

• Dan says:

Oh, you mean Fifth Wheel, from the X Factor.

• Don Viajero says:

They might be better with a little practice. But their choruses were not nearly as good. The things about 5th Harmony is that it included some of the best voices on the X-Factor this season – much better than almost all the soloists on that show. I think the top 2 or 3 singers on Fifth Harmony would hold their own with this group of 5. Don’t believe me? Go check out Lauren or Dinah’s auditions on X-Factor and compare for yourself.

41. Carole says:

Rolling over iTunes votes was a complete an utter sham. Let’s not forget the bogus rule of multiplying top 10 songs by 10. This show was desperate for a win so they concocted this rule to prevent another Javier Colon of Jermaine situation. They’ve been pimping Cassadee since episode one and unfortunately based on their rules her lead was far to insurmountable for anyone to overcome. If the continues next season I am not watching. It feels too manipulative.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

The ironic thing is that the first two years this rule probably would have gotten them Juliet and maybe Vicci but this year by one freak week someone jumped way ahead of Amanda and she missed a 10x and that was that and it cut their best. That said I don’t think they are crying since they seemed to want Cassadee to win even more than Amanda even though I think Amanda was clearly the top, a cut above all the rest.

• slutty alien says:

Whatever the rules; Cassadee has been toping the iTunes charts. No other contestant this season had as many number 1s as her on iTunes. Check those charts right now and she’s twice in the top 10. NBC saw commercial potential here (which is what the previous winners lacked) and gave her a push. Don’t blame the show, blame the public that’s downloading the songs.

• davey says:

I think some producer has been paying people to buy iTunes downloads for Pope. It’s all too suspect.

• teatime says:

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to pay people to vote 10 times using a means that costs no money?

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

But you’d need to track down humungous numbers of people and get them to vote and then have none of them run to TMZ and say that they don’t even watch the show but were paid to vote for so and so. I don’t see how buying itunes would be all that easy either since it is a 10 limit per account. I guess it would be possible since I think different accounts can use the same credit card. A lot of work to setup tens of thousands of accounts though….

My impression is that she had some following to begin with, she did better later on in the show and picked up a lot more fans, she was on team Blake and the country crowd seems to follow these shows AND vote like mad and he probably has legions. I think it takes any conspiracy for her to have charted how she did.

42. art says:

Could not have been MORE disappointing. I would have put the winner in spot number 5 or 6. I would have preferred almost any of the 2 guys OR the other contestants brought back to sing. This girl is unbelievably boring, and I give her just about zero chance of commercial success. My preference would have been Nicholas, then Terry, but I would have been okay with Terry then Nicholas. But IMHO America got it dead backwards. Shame.

43. RM says:

Yeah! The older women’s votes got split between the two remaining guys. Finally, the show crowns a young and relevant singer. Now, it remains to be seen which Universal Music Group label picks her up. The Republic Records head has said no mas since his cost center has been saddled with everyone up to now. Is anyone else getting signed by UMG?

44. Aria says:

I stopped watching hardcore when Amanda and Melanie left, but I caught up with performances online when any piqued my interest. Of the Final Three (and Four, really), Cassadee was the most deserving winner. While I do believe she had an unfair advantage from the start that kept her in (especially Top 20 week) when she probably otherwise would have gone, she improved enough throughout the season that I actually didn’t want to punch myself in the face when she won. Nicholas and Terry were both great but less pop-relevant than Cassadee, so she was certainly the right pick.

45. Booya says:

Congrats, the most over-hyped, overrated reality contestant ever just won a show overflowing with boring singers. I love how the entire entertainment universe just ignored how pitchy she was in every one of her finale performances and acted as if she’s the next superstar in the making. Just goes to show you a TV production can still brainwash the herd with aplomb. Good luck with your cookie-cutter copycat Queen!

• Haley says:

She was deserving among the final three, but she only got there because of her previous fan base and overhype. She was lucky to be stuck with old timers with no current relevance.

46. Hannah says:

I am the biggest Amanda Brown fan ever. That being said, I’m not inclined to buy many of her songs. Melanie’s songs are pretty fresh compared to the originals, while Amanda’s are pretty cookie cutter, even the ones she switched up for the live shows. She really did get screwed over by the iTunes rule.

47. melinda says:

I loved Amanda too. Alot more interesting singer than Cassadee. I hope she’ll have success as well. One thing this show as well as others needs to do, is, in the final weeks of competition, they need to let the contestants sing original material or let them pick exactly what they would put on the radio. Terry has a great voice, but 80’s covers is where he’ll stay unless he can show people something else. i wish he, in particular, could have shown what he would have put out on contemporary radio.

48. Blank Slate says:

I honestly do not understand what Terry M. was doing there. He was as appealing to watch as a dead doorknob and his voice was thin and a bore. He stood on stage with such bland, angry faces, grimacing as if he needed a bathroom every other second. Pointing in the air does not make one a rock star. And the outfit he wore for the finale was an homage to Clay Aiken singing Grease during his AMERICAN IDOL season. It looked so much better on Clay.

Christina A was clearly not going to work up a sweat tonight. She was SO out of there a long time ago.

49. Blank Slate says:

p.s. Highlight for me? Peter Frampton. “Ooh Baby I Love Your Way…” never gets old.

50. slutty alien says:

Cassadee has yet to win me 100% over but i think she’s got the biggest commercial potential of all contestants so far. And NBC was clearly right behind her. The show needs a chart topper to solidify it’s status as a serious singing competish. The ratings are good, the critics like it and A-list talents are attracted to it.