Homeland Burning Questions: Will [Spoiler] Sit Out Season 3? Did SNL's Spoof Sting? And More

Homeland Season 3 SpoilersThe terrorists didn’t win but they certainly seemed to gain the upper hand as the second, polarizing season of Homeland drew to a close Sunday night.

The twisty Showtime drama’s finale climaxed with a huge bomb blast that claimed multiple lives (R.I.P. Estes, Finn, etc.), turned Brody into a fugitive and left Carrie’s future with the CIA very much in doubt.

During a conference call with reporters Monday morning, exec producers Howard Gordon and Alex Gansa tackled a series of burning questions about the episode and the upcoming third season.

RELATED | Homeland Season 2 Finale Recap — Did You See the Big Twist Coming?

How involved will Damian Lewis (and Morena Baccarin, for that matter) be in Season 3? | Being only two meetings into prepping Season 3, Gansa told TVLine that the status of players such as Lewis and his TV wife “are all open questions for us right now. We had a much clearer picture of what the first two seasons would be than we do of what the third season would be…. Damian’s involvement and [the actors who fill out Brody's family] is very much up in the air.”

Why wasn’t the President of the United States in attendance at VP Walden’s funeral? | “This wasn’t actually Walden’s memorial service in a church; it’s the memorial service that was put on for him by his intelligence colleagues at the CIA,” Gansa explained. “The president was not there for that reason.”

Is the mole still in play heading into Season 3? | Sure sounds like it. Gansa, for example, suggested  it was “our ever-present mole who could have been responsible for moving [Brody's] car to in front of the auditorium.”

What was the larger purpose of the Dana/Finn hit-and-run arc, since it never dovetailed with the main story? | Gordon admitted to TVLine, “There was a deeper plan for [that storyline] that sort of morphed halfway through the season.” But as actually told, “It was about Dana’s degradation of her connection with Brody, the emotional separation between them.”

Did the Saturday Night Live spoof sting the producers or stars? | “It’s obviously mostly terrific — it’s one of the highest cultural honors to be lampooned by SNL,” Gordon told us. “I think some of the actors were charmed and disturbed by it.” Perhaps Claire Danes, whose crying jags were well-mocked, fell into the latter camp…? Actually, no. “Anne Hathaway reached out to Claire and told her well in advance what she would be doing,” Gordon reported.

How on earth will Brody, now America’s Most Wanted, be able to lay low? | Gansa put forth the possibility that “the investigators are going to believe that Brody was actually in his car when it exploded,” and thus will be presumed dead. “Plus, Brody does have a head start of a couple of days, and he is privy to Carrie’s best contacts. He has the benefit of that network.”

Why wasnt Brody’s phone still tapped at the time of his (Blackberry!) video chats with Nazir? | “Brody had delivered to the CIA all of the information that he knew about Nazir… and all of his information was correct. And most of his [terrorist] network, with the exception of Nazir was rolled up. So the assumption by the CIA at that point was that his role … was over. There was nothing more he knew.” Add in the fact that Nazir was on the run, and “they had mistakenly stopped monitoring his movements and his phone.”

Are we still to kinda sorta suspect that Brody was in on the bombing? | Gansa doesn’t believe he and the writers are trying to have their cake and eat it, too. “But that doesn’t mean that there aren’t people out there that still think there’s that possibility, and I just don’t want to dissuade anybody from that.” But as Gordon noted, “If you look back on the season, your brain would start hurting to understand why he did certain things if he was partially responsible for what happened.”

1. J says:

I would guess time-jump on Homeland before a Brody-less season.

• analia says:

I know this is late but just finished both season 1 and 2 AGAIN… Here are my problems:

1. Why wasn’t his phone tapped 24/7 ?! Starting when Quinn stabs him in the hand. Why didn’t they look through his phone records and see the “May 1″ text that diverted Nazir? I think this would be standard for a confessed terrorist double check all sources because he OBVIOUSLY kept that information, he should not be trusted ever. He could have been like “Guys I have his number lets call him track it” or something, but NO they don’t do that why? this was badly written!!! His phone should have been tapped as his house was – NO EXCEPTION – until Nazir was killed he was an asset because of a deal and if that deal went south he deserves a cage without a window.

2. Why didn’t his car have a tracker?! Once again: HE STRAPPED ON A BOMB to kill high ranking officials — sure we made a deal with the guy but we should have eyes on him 24/7. NO TRUST.

— I really don’t like Brody at all, he annoys me. Claire being all into him does nothing but confirm her craziness, why would she wanna date a terrorist?! who knows – I loved Saul’s assessment that she is the smartest and dumbest person.

2. TV Gord says:

Catch today’s Ellen. Anne Hathaway talks about giving Claire a heads up on her SNL portrayal. (Katie Holmes, not so much.) ;-)

• Lara says:

Kind of devastated that Damian Lewis’s future is up in the air for season 3! Someone had posted earlier here that he had signed a 5 year contract…I’m assuming they were wrong?

• Danyelle says:

I saw that comment too, but the only web story that comes up is from a British tabloid magazine. No source anything all close to legitimate :(

• Danyelle says:

And the same tabloid magazine also says this: “Homeland co-star David Harewood – who plays CIA counter-terrorism director David Estes – has apparently signed a similar five-year deal.” And we see how that turned out for him LMAO

• Britney says:

Pretty much all actors sign contracts like that at the beginning of shows but that doesn’t mean they’re always honoured

• Cody says:

Yeah, the contract is basically there to keep the actors tied to the show as long as the show needs them. So they can’t take on any other work that would get in the way of the show. Not “we are having 5 seasons and you will be on them all” sort of thing.

3. suz says:

Brody was twitchy while making out with Carrie then he ‘notices’ his car has been moved…fishy to me.

4. Ken says:

Homeland continues to change directions time and time again, and that’s one of it’s strengths. I think the upcoming season will be the Fugitive season. Easy to predict that. The CIA will think he’s dead, but will everyone? What about the mole and the terror group he or she is obviously still working with/for? Will they start planning other terror attacks? Do they also think he’s dead? What happens when Saul finds out Carrie knows Brody is alive and helped him escape? Seems to me that the season will start off with Carrie trying to prove him innocent while working with Saul to uncover just what happened. They will also start trying to discover who the mole was at some point. Who is the mole???? I can’t wait until season 3.

5. Lauryn says:

How about Quinn? Will he be back to kill the bad guy?

6. dhg says:

I have some issues with a exploding vehicle having that much power (it would have to have been stuffed to the ceiling with C4) being able to come onto CIA property undetected.Plus there would be cameras everywhere and even if they were destroyed it’s unlikely the digital recordings from them would be so the vehicle mover would be seen,who also seems to have had the keys.If the “Brody was in the car” idea has any legs there would be something that said there was a body,even in that explosion it would not have vanished with no traces.

• TheBeach says:

Not only that but Carrie threw Brody’s phone out the window at some point during their escape. I’m sure the CIA would be able to use the gps system to see that he and/or his phone was not in the SUV.

• James says:

Thank You. their is no way that would ever happen. let alone with a turned and/or expected terrorist in the driver’s seat, congressman or not. and two be honest even if it was a mole how could they smuggle that much C-4 into Langley.

• fart says:

I accept that Homeland is a TV show about outlandish terrorist plots — there’s no way that half of it is even remotely possible. 9/11′s just don’t happen in America but once every so often. Just the basic premise of the show is outrageous. I view it from the lens of it being a different universe than the one we live in :)

• Diane says:

That was my major issue, too. I’ve been to Langley on school field trips and if school buses are searched and school children are patted down, then, umm, yeah. Plus you go over several scales before and after you reach the security gate so an SUV carrying that level of explosives would definitely set off alarms. This was all before 9/11, too. There are also cameras everywhere.

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

Okay, I did wonder about the President and why he wasn’t at the memorial. I guess that kind of makes sense a little. I had dreams about this show last night and woke up with an epiphany. I believe more than ever Saul is the mole. I think this is the reason he was trying so hard to keep Brody from being killed was because they needed him for the framing set-up. I also think it’s the reason he tried to keep Carrie from having a relationship with Brody, was so upset when he found out she still loved him, and it seemed like he was sort of trying to talk her out of going to the memorial, but I would have to see that scene again to be sure. I think Saul being the mole makes the most sense in the scheme of the show. They mess with your head and try to make you love the terrorists. It would be an awesome plot twist to have the most beloved character on the show end up working with the terrorists. There are a few things from this season I’m having a hard time making sense with Saul being the mole though, so I’m probably wrong. But I don’t think it’s going to make 100% sense no matter who it ends up being.
    I think the season was pretty good, especially now that we’ve seen the finale, because it makes a lot of the other episodes make sense. Was it perfect? Not really. They could have worked on their B stories and side characters a bit more. Season one had way more interesting side characters and stories than this season did. I think that’s where its flaws were. But it’s still the best roller coaster ride in the amusement park.
    I have hopes they bring back Quinn and Dar Adul next year. Good grief, we only got 1 1/2 scenes with F. Murray Abraham. Not fair! I expected to see a lot more of him. I also hope Brody comes back and we get to see him on the run. I think I could do without Mike and the Brody family though, or at least have them on just a recurring basis. NOT full-time players.

• fart says:

The thing is…if Saul is the mole, then when did he turn? After all, “the mole” has been around since season 1, and Saul looked completely surprised when he saw the Brody suicide tape in the beginning of Season 2. I don’t think that the mole within the CIA is going to be an old veteran like Saul, I think it’s going to be a young newcomer with relatively few years of service under his belt. When would the terrorists have turned an old 40+ year veteran like Saul? And why was he so oblivious to Brody all this time?

• JOCK McFOX says:

WHY HAS NO ONE ASKED WHERE GALVEZ WAS HE IS THE MOLE!

• KATE LANGLAIS says:

Somehow, I think that Mike may be the mole, you know it’s always the quiet ones. Even though he was one of Brody’s best friends prior to Brody’s capture, he has been involved in Brody’s family during his absence in captivity and after. During the second season, he had access to Brody’s belongings while visiting Jessica at her house–(ie) keys to his
        SUV and also Brody’s garage.

8. Britney says:

I really hope he sits out the season because I really need a break from him and his relationship with Carrie, which really almost ruins the show and her character for me

9. Paul says:

Evidently, the CIA doesn’t have one camera in or outside the building that caught Brody and Carrie leaving. I guess Carrie just knew how to avoid them all. <–That's the one thing that isn't up to snuff, that and Carrie leaving and coming back after all that time and Saul just totally being cool with it. Then again, we really didn't see much, so maybe Carrie will be tortured and interrogated by the CIA in Season 3 as they look for the fugitive Brody. The only problem with that idea is that it leaves very little room for a season 4 or 5. Why would they ever trust Carrie again? Unless she claims the mole did it and turns out to be right. I think they would have been better off killing Brody and having Carrie live because she got a call from a CI about a bomb that was going to go off that she took away from the room. I think Carrie already found the mole. That guy who was bleeding badly with the bum arm. I think he is the mole. He's really the only person who was with the team from the start who isn't Saul, Estes, and Carrie. So unless Homeland wants to say it was Saul or Carrie, now that Estes is dead, there isn't much else they can do.

10. My one issue w/Brody being innocent is that he went outside to meet Carrie. It bothers me because it does not make sense, unless ther is some type of security system. I also do not think anyone can ever be free of the brainwashing, even though he got what he wanted in the end.

As for Quinn, I liked the reasoning behind his refusal to kill Brody; I was surprised that he said Brody was not a bad man. He started to dislike Estes when he realized why he was killing Brody. This op gave Quinn a heart and a soul, which is new for a man who is a goat.

I must point out that for someone who is so brilliant & crazy, and does lie, & ignores orders in the pursuit of Body, inspires the loyalty and love from so many people. Saul, Virgil, Max, (Quinn is just beginning to soften up) all love her very much, and are loyal, even when she starts doing the Carrie. I am not sure she even recognizes that, or it is implied that when you are in, you are in. Remember these are all people who are alone ( I do not know about Vigil & Max), & it is part of being a spy, so having this type of family who will protect and love you, makes her relationships even more important.

I am not adding Brody, as that is another conversation.

• fart says:

The only reason Brody met Carrie outside is because she motioned him to leave with her when she saw how uncomfortable he was listening to David jerk off Walden’s memory. If Brody was guilty, then why would he have stayed at the memorial in the first place? And why would he have bothered to mention, “Who moved my car?”. Why would he have bothered to mention that right before it was going to go off? That only draws suspicion. Also, if he was guilty, then why didn’t he (at the very least) knock Carrie unconscious when she lowered her weapon? It’s not as if he knew she was going to rush him out of the country, in the midst of the disaster. He seemed to be acting genuinely innocent. He didn’t even try to run away until Carrie said, “we need to leave. No one else will believe you.”

11. Jacob says:

Virtually the only reason I still have the Brody-still-a-terrorist idea in my head is because of the way he acted when the VP Walden was dying. I understand that that was the avenging he always wanted, but still….

• Susan says:

The thing that really bothers me is that Brody STILL says he never wore a suicide vest. Is t his a clue?

• If you think about the safe room bombing being a fake out for the actual bombing and how the confession video by Brody was used out of context. And then take into account how smart and flawless the Abu Nazir cell was in their execution you can’t help but wonder why the vest didn’t work? Why did it have loose wires and appear faulty? Maybe what Brody is saying is that Nazir tricked him and the vest was a decoy. Brody may also know that all other evidence against him was circumstantial and without a confession on the vest it would have been nearly impossible to convict him. I don’t think Brody is in denial- just survival.

12. Geo says:

Brody will be back– I have almost no doubt. Homeland has a lot of “24″ DNA in it, and the theme of Jack Bauer being a fugitive and having to work outside the law on-the-run was a frequent one on that show. Brody’s now in that position, and I expect that’ll be a key part of the suspense next season.

13. Kate says:

I love Damian Lewis and hope they still have some storyline for him. I have no issues if we have seen the last of his family but I want Brody back.

14. Steve Unger says:

Didn’t anyone else see Brody hand his keys to the military guy who looked like a general? Brody seems fully aware that something is up. Plays Belushi straight up from the Blues Brothers playing Carrie Fisher like a violin — to the hilt. Next season our Homeland Carrie has to hunt Brody down again!

15. Chris says:

What if Carrie’s the mole? LMAO!

16. The only thing that makes sense is that Carrie thinks he’s involved and is letting him run to see where he goes and who he goes to. If she wanted to run that op, she had to do it right then. Obviously, she wants the people behind the bombing. She set Body up to have a very narrow path for a few days — a 20 mile hike through the woods isn’t a quick jog, even for a Marine.

Unless she’s turned into a lovesick cow, of course, but that would kinda not be very interesting and seemed false in the finale. I expect the first thing out of he mouth in Season 3 is “Brody’s alive and I let him run.”

All the stuff you hear on rumor is just a distraction. It’s Carrie vs Brody right from the bat next year.

17. Ella says:

I can’t say I’m entirely disappointed we will be seeing less Dana next season. She has quickly become TV’s most annoying kid.

18. Coach says:

Dana is history. Good bye. F. Murray Abraham is too good to be a two-episode player. Keep a wary eye on Galvez. I have to watch the finale again to see what Brody did with that Marine officer at Langley. There is no way a suspicious vehicle could’ve been left alone for even a second at Langley. Carrie will have to offer a damn good alibi for her six-hour absence after the bombing. Saul is not the mole. If he is, people will tune out in droves. Saul is exactly the kind of man America needs in dealing with the Middle East. The Broncos will win the Super Nowl!

• Steve Unger says:

Brody handed the Marine officer (a general??) his keys. That’s what makes me think he was in on the plot — especially acting nervous after skipping out of the service with Carrie.

19. Elisha says:

Leading up to the finale i was 99% sure that Estes was the leak. There goes that theory!! There are so many reasons why so much of season 2 was a stretch. Getting a serial number and shutting the guys heart off from a pc??? How does the terrorist drive a guys explosive filled vehicle right up to the window undetected at Langley, of all places?? And finally, if the producers are reading this, more sexy scenes with Morena Baccarin, please!!

20. dan says:

You may be interested to know that Galvez died in the bomb blast. I think that rules him out as the mole. Unless he was a suicide bomber.. I found this out by seeing his character profile on the Homeland wiki site. So unless that site is wrong, Galvez died, and I don’t think we’ve me the mole yet. Or if we have they haven’t been a real character.

21. dan says:

Actually it’s true, he’s dead

“David Estes is dead, and Danny Galvez is dead and 450 intelligence officers,” executive producer Alex Gansa said a behind-the-scenes video from Showtime.

22. Joyce says:

But why didn’t quinn kill Brody? does he really have a heart, or was he needed as the scapegoat for the car bomb at CIA and Quinn was part of the plan? I would like to think he has a heart, being an assassin, but the Carrie in me wonders….

23. Joyce says:

and when does Season 3 start? I just watched Season 1 and 2 over the past 2 weeks, I’m now a follower…I don’t think I can wait until Fall. please don’t tell me I have to wait that long??

24. getahun says:

hi when is starting season 3 if you know pleas thanks

25. Lawlibgirl says:

Kudos to Homeland for winning Best TV show at the Golden Globes and to Clare and Damion.

26. ashley says:

season 3 starts sept 29…ugh dont want to wait that long. I thought Estes was the mole too until the finale …

27. leigh says:

maybe the guy that offered David Estes, Quinn is apart of a bigger conspiracy. Quinn was a soldier like Bordy, maybe later on he realized that David Estes was a bad man and the rest of the agency is just as bad. The bomb was put in brodys can when he took it to the car wash. the terrorists like to have plan after plan. like if plan A fails will than put in motion plan B if that fails puts plan C into motion.
    Homeland is a awesome series only one besides Heroes i like very very much.

28. gigi says:

I think Jessica is more than we are seeing…. they did a good job of setting up her character, but casting chose her to be dark & exotic… I don’t think she’s what she’s pretending to be — now THERE’s your twist! ;D

29. Kelly says:

Brody is guilty! He met with mike to tell him he had to be there for his family because brody wouldn’t be around. I also think carrie let him run to catch the rest of the terrorists, there is no other way she wouldn’t have been arrested before getting to saul. Can not wait for season 2!

• Steve Unger says:

Grady knew about the bomb … and probably knew he would survive it. He is the classic torn double-agent. She gets a pass because she is the only link to him.

30. amyl37 says:

I am convinced that Max is the mole and I have a list of suspicious behavior to back up my theory. Also, Quinn is my absolute fave and I would LOVE a romance between him and Carrie. A Genuine love story.

31. Doug s says:

Ok Saul could be the mole think about back in season 1 the first interrogation where the guy suicides , when Saul is being polygraphed he fails the first time and shows that he gave the razor blade, he also gave the glasses to the woman who suicides , he also is Muslim or atleast practices it , he also was not in attendance at the final bomb which not sure if I missed if he was assigned to go see Abu dropped in the water but still fishy, this is just a possibility.

Now Brody could have known about this all the time. Season one Carrie even says you wouldn’t kill me if your in the long game. The tape Brody made didn’t have to be used that day he could have made it for this exact reason, he might have planned that yes he did not want to die and planned to use it a different way and it even says Abu doesn’t care if he died but Brody did not want to. So these are some theories I think should be noted.

32. arnie says:

would love to see the israeli version

33. Colleen says:

I think people just really want Brody to be a terrorist but I think that the show’s writers did not make him one. I don’t think he was involved in the bombing. In seasons 1 and 2 Brody recovered from being brainwashed and helped CIA catch the terrorist. Somehow people just really badly want him to be a terrorist, but he’s not.

34. Susan says:

It bothers me that Brody STILL says he never wore a suicide vest.