Mindy Project Scoop: Beth Grant Checks Back In — As a Series Regular!

Get More: Casting News

bethgrant-1The Mindy Project is both un-firing and promoting a character in one fell swoop.

Beth Grant, who plays the defiant and cranky Nurse Beverly on Fox’s freshman sitcom, has been upped to a series regular, TVLine has confirmed.

Much of this season’s second episode — the only one in which the character appeared — revolved around Beverly’s imminent firing. (Among her workplace offenses: stealing vials of blood and punching her boss.)

It’s not clear what brings Nurse Ratched back into the fold or when exactly she’ll reappear.

Grant’s status change comes as The Mindy Project undergoes a slight Season 1 course correction that has led to the departures of supporting players Amanda Setton and Stephen Tobolowsky and a series regular-to-recurring downgrade for Kaling’s current onscreen BFF, the underused Anna Camp. The show also recently added Mary Grill as a new pal of Mindy’s.

Grant’s credits include guest stints on Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, Modern Family and Mockingbird Lane.

Comments (23)

• what the heck is this show even doing… i don’t even know anymore

Comment by Dani – December 14, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s smart for a show to make changes if it is clear that elements of the show aren’t working. I do think this one may be flailing around without a lot of direction. The episode Beth Grant was originally on was the best I’ve seen (loved the scream fest between Mindy and Danny, which was just like a couple of episodes of New Girl) and Beth Grant is one of my favorite actresses. I don’t see why they haven’t dumped the British guy, who hasn’t been funny yet (and doesn’t seem to have a raison d’etre on the show).

Comment by CJ – December 14, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Beth Grant is one of the all time great character actresses and Mindy is lucky to have her (to be fair they had Tobolowsky who has a frikkin doc about him being a character actor). But regardless, Beth Grant is goddamn hilarious – Remember her in The Office ep dinner party as dwight’s date? Amazing, Her hilarious skittles commercial, too wong foo.. the list could go on

Comment by Smigglesby – December 15, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been watching this show and for most part liking it, but they need to pick a cast and go with it…

Comment by George – December 14, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ew. I want this show to succeed, but they have to figure out what they want the show to be. It’s getting hard to watch knowing all the behind the scenes drama with the cast.

Comment by Steve – December 14, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of wish they’d get rid of the two leading male doctors. They are miscast. I find the funniest parts are Mindy and her BFF, so I’m sad she won’t be in it much anymore

Comment by Liza!80 – December 14, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m nit sure sure why this show is trying to do a 180. I hope things calm down soon. I like the current cast!

Comment by Lauren – December 14, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree w/most of the above… I don’t understand what all the cast upheaval is for and I wish they’d let well enough alone and let this show find it’s footing. I’ve been really enjoying it so far… Sad to see the downgrading of Anna Kamp, and now this? Why bring back a fired nurse – she wasn’t that funny to begin with – the humor was watching Mindy fire her! Plus, I like Morgan (Ike Barinhotlz), so what does that mean for his character that they’re re-hiring this other nurse? Ugh. Calm down Fox and let the Mindy Project just be for a while! Behind-the-scenes drama makes for uneasy viewers!

Comment by abbyjo – December 14, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand that all shows take a little while to find themselves, but I’m not sure what this show thinks it’s doing. If they’re having a hard time figuring out what to do with the existing ensemble, I don’t think the answer is replacing them with brand new people. How about establishing a few of the characters you do have before trying to bring in new ones?

Comment by M – December 14, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really love the show so far and the cast changes do seem to make a certain amount of sense so far. Axing Tobolowski’s character means the three doctors will have more responsibility for running the clinic instead of always having to go through an authority figure. Having two receptionists next to each other all the time seemed redundant, though I do have a quibble with whichone they let go. And the best friend thing was awkward because it felt like they always had to shoehorn her into stories or just show her talking on the phone.

Comment by elf – December 14, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Beth Grant. I’m still a little miffed at Stephen Tobolowski’s departure.

Comment by Chance – December 14, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And deleted The Mindy Project from my DVR. I really dont see the point in bringing this character back. She was terrible for 1 episode i dont get it

Comment by gary – December 14, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beth Grant is one of the greats. She can do better than this crappy mess of a show.

Comment by Dan – December 14, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember her being dunny, glad she’s coming back

Comment by sia – December 14, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this works out for Beth. I’ve felt bad for her since she got blown up trying to get off that bus.

Comment by Maura – December 14, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your comment made me laugh. I think she was actually run over though, not blown up.

Comment by Kristen – December 14, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kinda both, actually, if I remember correctly–I’m too lazy to get out the movie and check, but if memory serves, she was standing on the 1st step trying to get off, and Dennis Hopper blew the step, causing her to fall and get run over.

Comment by CJ – December 14, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT! But her character was the worst! I love this show, but what the hell is it doing?!

Comment by jasbo90 – December 14, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you don’t like this news, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Comment by Julio – December 14, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still bummed Shauna is leaving

Comment by mia – December 14, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show, glad to see the nurse coming back – should add even more to this fun show.

Comment by Sean – December 15, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t disagree with you more. I like the 2 male leads. Especially Danny, he is so cute. The problem with The Mindy Project is that its been a mess from the start. Starting with the name of the show. Its one of the worst titles ever. Then Anna Camp character is great, but she lives outside the city. I don’t know why? Making her character recurring is another huge mistake they have made. Then adding a new best is meant to be a good change but they could be more wrong. It just hasn’t found its audience yet but the changes they are making is for the worst

Comment by Tru u – December 15, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was the order of the strict old TV critics, who are watching this show, to bring back Beth Grant. I know you all don’t like her, even I don’t like her also, but the strict old TV critics were more supportive of her and against both Anna Camp and Amanda Setton. Anna and Amanda’s inner and outer mature talents caused the strong appraisal of attractive too many 13-year-old to 19-year-old fans in one blow and the strict old TV critics cannot tolerate that. Right now, we cannot disobey the strict old TV critics by getting rid of Beth this time, otherwise this show would automatically meets its doom, I’m sorry people. The only solution is to add a cranky old man doctor character in this show, so Beth and her character can have relief on her own company level and young adults can show correct respect on both cranky old characters ASAP!

Comment by I.R.E. – March 3, 2014 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post