Ratings: Arrow and Chicago Fire Tie Lows, Whitney Matches High, Howie Mandel Drops Hard

Year's EnWhitney and Criminal Minds were the only gainers this Wednesday night, with the former matching its Season 2 high by inching up a tenth in the demo to a 1.4.

CBS’ 9 o’clock crime drama meanwhile drew the night’s largest audience (12 million total viewers) while ticking up a tenth in the demo (to 3.1).

Elsewhere:

* CBS’ penultimate Survivor was steadyish at 10.2 mil/2.8. CSI capped the Eye’s night with 9.5 mil/2.2, down 15 percent in the demo.

RELATED | Exclusive: Vergara and CSI to Make Beautiful Music Together

* The X Factor, with 7.7 mil and a 2.6, dipped 7 percent week-to-week.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s X Factor Semifinals Performance Recap: Turn the Beatles Around

* ABC’s The Middle (7.5 mil/2.2) ticked down a tenth, The Neighbors (5.5 mil/1.6) fell 16 percent to a series low and Modern Family (10.8 mil/4.2) was down 11 percent to match its season low, yet still led the night in the demo. Barbara Walters’ “Fascinating” People special (7.7 mil/2.1) was down 9 percent versus 2011. Please, someone tell me who was No. 1. I need to die inside.

* The CW’s Arrow (3.13 mil/1.0) slipped 6 percent and a tenth (tying its series low); those numbers could change due to 12.12.12 concert preemptions.

* Airing without a cushy Voice lead-in, NBC’s Take It All mustered just 3.4 mil/1.1, plunging 50 percent from Night 2. Chicago Fire led out of that with 4.8 mil/1.4, down 34 and 26 percent and matching its series low.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I was watching the 12.12.12 Concert and DVR’g my normal Wednesday night shows.

2. Sarahii says:

People watch The Nieghbours?! 5.5mil?! Wow

3. DreamRose311 says:

In my region, Middle didn’t air until the middle of the night. “Channel 2 Investigates was on instead” (I have no idea what they were investigating.

I watched 12.12.12 and dvr’d the rest too. Great concert.

4. KC says:

So that means Criminal Minds beat NCIS in the demo this week. HA! (and yes I realize this is a one time thing and probably won’t happen again this year but still…it DID happen this time and I’m going to enjoy it.) :-)

5. Jill says:

Wow! That was a BIG drop for Chicago Fire!

6. Shari says:

wait, what about ratings from Tuesday? It looks like you’ve only posted ratings for Sunday, Monday and Wednesday nights this week

7. Dav says:

Slow night. Almost everything was down. Good for CM and Whitney hanging tough.

8. mia says:

glad Whitney did alright. I’m rather attached to that whacky sitcom.

9. sarah says:

This time of year it is not a surprise, with some shows having their winter finales last week, people were probably confused with what was going to be new and repeats and then next week I am sure that the handful that will be on will be low too.

10. Tina says:

Yay, neighbors went down, I really don’t want that show around next year, it is one of the worst comedies on TV.

• CountryQueen says:

Is someone forcing you to watch? Or do you think you should be in charge of what people should be able to watch?

• Midori4 says:

After the worst pilot every the show is really good now, like a modern take on Third Rock from the Sun. No one forces you to watch it and it’s still better than 90% of the comedies on Tv today.

11. Jack says:

I realize that 2.6 is a good number, relatively speaking, but Fox has got to be disappointed in the X-Factor’s numbers.

12. sherknd says:

Regarding Chicago Fire, it was a good episode. But maybe there are other people like me who just dont want to see Casey hook up with Dawson. :)

13. Jack says:

Ugh! Chicago Fire is just another soap opera with Firefighters instead of doctors or lawyers. I’m not surprised it dropped.

14. RobMF says:

Here is the problem with NBC, if they come up with something good like Take It All, they beat it like a dead horse, with another dead horse. There was literally no reason to run it 5 nights this week. They could get much more longevity out of these shows if they put it on once a week. They did the same thing with Minute To Win It, Deal or No Deal. It’s a terrible idea and they continue to do it. There is a reason ABC has had Wipeout on the air for several years now. They don’t show 500 episodes a week.

• Alienate says:

To call Take It All a GOOD show is to rip up every dictionary on the planet. It is NOT GOOD. It is worse than BAD. It is Despicable TV. It is demeaning to everything that is good about the human spirit.

15. Max says:

Since there was no Supernatural this week, I thought Arrow would be off as well! Maybe that’s why the ratings slipped?

16. Shiver says:

Can’t watch Criminal Minds anymore. It’s too disturbing, and there are enough creepy things in the real world to worry about.

17. The most “fascinating” person was David Petraeus….yes…THAT Petraeus…

18. sonya says:

I watch Arrow and the Neighbors. I love both shows, but I gotta say I don’t get the whitney thing it’s just not funny. To be honest for awhile there I thought she had to be sleeping with somebody at the network to keep that dog on. And don’t get me started on smash that one is just painful.

19. JP says:

I bet ARROW’s numbers will turn out to be affected by the pre-empting channels. I watched the ep online today and it was pretty fantastic.