The CW Orders a Hunger Game-y Survival Competition and Dating/Game Show Hybrid

HungerGames_KatnissA (presumably) bloodless take on The Hunger Games and a dating show that places a dollar value on your prospective matches are now in the pipeline at The CW.

For starters, the network on Wednesday gave a green light to The Hunt, an hour-long competition series that takes place over the course of a month as 12 teams of two rely on their physicality, survival skills and hunting abilities to endure food-, water- and shelter-free conditions, capture one another (safely, kids!) and win a cash prize.

RELATED | The CW’s Cult to Inherit Cancelled Emily Owens‘ Time Slot

Perfect Score, meanwhile, is a half-hour dating/game show hybrid in which two friends compete to see who can pick their “ideal mate” from a line-up of 12 singles. Thing is, each possible match has secretly been assigned a dollar value based on compatibility tests, so the closer you come to singling out your MFEO OTL, the more cold, hard cash you win to spend on your first date at Chipotle.

RELATED | The CW’s Beauty and the Beast Nabs Full Season

Premiere timetables for these pickups will be announced at a later date.

1. George says:

I cringe to think what “The Hunt” will look like on the CW’s budget.

2. Adam says:

So The Hunt is basically like Survivor but with teams of two?

3. a says:

Sadly, I will probably watch The Hunt.

4. Jason says:

More shows no one will watch. When will The CW wake up?

5. Lindsey says:

Sounds more like a big game of capture the flag than Survivor to me…

6. KC says:

So this is when our inevitable slide towards blood sport entertainment begins…

7. Two more garbage shows that will get cancelled after a few eps. It blows my mind that they can put out shows like Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, & Arrow which are really great shows but then they turn around & take the $$$ those shows make them & throw it away on garbage like this. Its like half the people im charge are geniuses & the other half are drooling morons, get your s**t together CW!

8. Renee says:

These will probably be enormously successful appealing to the reality idiot base and force lower rated but vastly superior shows like Nikita, Beauty & the Beast, and Hart of Dixie off the air. And I thought CW was dragging the bottom of the barrel with Carrie Diaries.

9. Anna says:

Does this strike anyone else as odd considering the point of The Hunger Games was to show how society can become detached from reality through watching stuff like this? The idea for the book came to the author when she was flipping back and forth between a reality show and coverage of the war in Afghanistan. The folks at the CW seem to have really missed the point…

• Z. says:

My thoughts EXACTLY!!! I was gonna say the same thing.. The Hunger Games was created, having in mind that something like that isn’t as far and odd as we might wanna think. And then the IDIOTS at CW order a show like that..

10. Juli says:

I thought they were also going to pick up a screenplay from The Selection by Keira Cass with Aimee Teegarden in lead – what happened to that?

11. Mick says:

The hunt sounds like Endurance the tv show on discovery kids

12. John says:

The Hunger Games (which in itself ripped off the far superior, Battle Royale and Running Man) was a bad and convoluted movie which shied away from the social commentary it set out to make in order to appease the masses. It was bloodless as well, i.e barely anybody was killed on screen and those who were, didn’t have much blood gushing out of them. So, I think the show will actually do fine considering so many people are delusional and think its actually a good movie. All said, I’ll give the show a chance. It might surprise me.

13. ben says:

Whoah, that headline totally had me thinking we were in for a ‘hunger games/dating show’ hybrid, which would really have been something… “I’ve met both of your families, and I really feel a connection to both of you girls. I just can’t decide who to give this rose to. So – time for a battle match to the death!”.
    Honestly though, “The Hunt” sounds all well and good, but it should NOT be compared by anyone (including CW) to the Hunger Games. It’s not being run by an oppressive regime (Well, your view of CW is up to you) who are forcing kids to kill each other. And it really isn’t a good marketing strategy to compare it to such a contest.

• olive clear says:

but it IS like the Hunger Games! No matter who it is run by, you cannot deny the similarities! “12 teams of two enter a fenced-in enclosure in the middle of the wilderness, also called the Arena, where they must reside for a month.[3] The contestants have limited food, water or shelter provided and rely on their survival skills as they work to discover resources.[1] Each team attempts to secure its place in the competition by “capturing” the competitors. The winning team wins the grand prize of $250,000.[4]
      The playing area is 4,000 acres surrounded by a 10 mile electronic fence. Each episode a hunting team is selected at random. The hunting team attempts to capture one of the other teams by placing a disc called a “talon” on the vest of a prey team. The hunting team wears grey vests while all other teams wear black vests. Hunts last for 4 hours or until a team is captured. If the hunting team captures 2 teams (1 on each day) then the remaining teams vote which captured team to eliminate. If the hunting team captures only 1 team then that team or the hunters will be eliminated. If the hunters capture no teams they are eliminated. Prey teams must remain on the move because if they remain stationary for 3 minutes their location becomes visible on the hunt team’s radar. All teams wear an electronic device on their arm that displays a map with their current location. Teams receive warnings when the hunt team is “in pursuit” of a prey team and when 5 minutes remain in the hunt.
      Each night teams get a limited amount of food and water and sleep in tents. Voting is done openly and ends as soon as a team has a majority of votes.” Source: Wikipedia.

14. Boiler says:

Another example of what happens when no one watches the scripted shows. Can’t bel;ieve people watch this crap.

15. Get It says:

Oh great, more money wasted on TV shows we DON’T need.

16. Jacob says:

Where can I apply?

17. Tee says:

Here’s hoping it tanks!

18. znachki says:

Looks like they figured out that the Battle Royale scripted series they were touting awhile back, wouldn’t work out. Thing is, this will either 1) Get yanked before it airs, or after one episode after bad publicity (ala the one with the kids on their own) or 2) Be a big hit.

19. Shaun says:

I imagine these will be summer shows.Either way,horrible!

20. kate says:

The CW is going off the rails. This sounds awful. When Supernatural ends its run, I doubt I tune in for anything they do ever again.

21. Katie says:

Uh, yeah, to second what others have said, I think that if this show is supposed to based on a “Hunger Games” competition sort of thing, then the people who pitched it clearly don’t understand the story.

It has to deal with the changing nature of “reality”, using it for entertainment, and society’s desensitization to truly horrible “real” things. The fact that we enjoy the books/movie so much is almost ironic enough. We don’t need a TV show that totally misses the point.

22. Katie says:

Uh, to second what others have said, if this show really is supposed to be based on a “Hunger Games” type competition, then the people at CW who pitched it clearly don’t understand the story.

It deal with things like the constructed nature of “reality” especially for entertainment, desensitization of society, etc – the commentary on the “reality TV” aspect is not really a positive one. The fact that we enjoyed the books/movie so much is ironic enough.
    A show like this proposed one totally misses the point.

• Katie says:

…uh, website. Feel free to ignore my double post. It wasn’t showing in error before and I typed the whole thing again. -_-

23. Mikael says:

CW just can’t seem to accept that their reality shows are terrible and always get canceled, with the exception of ANTM, which should have ended quite a few seasons ago. Stick with shows like Arrow, Nikita, Supernatural, TVD, or you’ll never be taken seriously.

24. luana says:

I absolutely love this tv show! I think it’s one of the best one out now! Hope they make a season 2

25. lauren says:

how do you audition for the hunt?!?!

26. Jacob Smith says:

I just want to say one more thing. If you love SURVIVOR or THE AMAZING RACE. Then I’m sure you’ll love this. It sounds like the love child of both but the “Hunger Games” element is just eliminating teams by out witting and out surviving to stay ahead of the game. It sounds interesting and I think they market it as “hunger games” so hunger game audiences will be intrigued. STOP BEING SO DAMN DRAMATIC!!!! Lol.

It’s a competition show. NO ONE IS DYING. THERE WILL NEVER BE A SHOW LIKE THE ACTUAL HUNGER GAMES (NO ONE WILL LET THAT HAPPEN).

SO STOP BEING SO DAMN DRAMATIC

27. Carlien says:

I simply needed to thank you so much once again. I am not sure what I would have undertaken in the absence of the actual pointers provided by you regarding such a subject matter. Certainly was an absolute frustrating difficulty for me personally, nevertheless taking a look at the very specialized approach you resolved it made me to weep with contentment. Extremely thankful for this support as well as wish you recognize what an amazing job you happen to be carrying out teaching the others by way of your blog. I’m certain you haven’t come across all of us.