SAG Award Nominations: Homeland, Downton Abbey and Modern Family Lead the Pack; Sons of Anarchy, Political Animals Sneak In

Episode 711Nominations for the 19th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards were announced on Wednesday morning, and Modern Family led the comedy pack with four nods, while Homeland and Downton Abbey dominated the drama side with three total nods each. (The eligibility period was the 2012 calendar year.)

The SAG Awards will be broadcast Jan. 27 on TNT/TBS. Check out this list of TV nominees, then share your raves and rants, the Comments! Coming Thursday morning: the Golden Globe nominations.

DRAMA ENSEMBLE

Nicole Kidman, Hemingway & Gellhorn
Julianne Moore,  Game Change
Charlotte Rampling, Restless
Sigourney Weaver, Political Animals
Alfre Woodard, Steel Magnolias

1. mayiread says:

Still no Community? That is so not October 19th.

• Joe says:

im confused why ahs was nominated for mini-series roles. that would open up slots for more deserving people on series and give AHS all stars like Lily Rabe, Zach Quinto, and Sarah Paulson a chance to be recognized

• Cindy says:

This is clearly the darkest timeline.

• Lexi says:

They Britta’d it again.

• Alan says:

it shocks me that even the SAG wont recognise the best show out there in the comedy market and still falls all over the big bang theory, a show about 5 years past its prime. how it doesnt win every comedy award i dont know

2. Kirk says:

No Parks & Rec for best comedy ensemble?!

3. Alison says:

Shame…no Fringe nominations.

4. Lara says:

No Julia Louis-Dreyfus? No ensemble nom for Parks? Glee is still a thing?!

5. Orla says:

Sigh, as usual the greatest show ever is left out. Community should win everything.

6. WayneInNYC says:

I’m appalled that American Horror Story: Asylum didn’t get and Drama Ensemble Nom.

7. Becks says:

Glad to see Amy Poehler get a nom, though it’s a bummer Parks & Rec was left off the comedy ensemble list. Funniest cast on television, IMO

8. Modern Family is highly over-rated these days. Everything is the Modern Family Awards.

Again bitterly disappointed by the Parks & Rec snub.

9. Cait says:

Will never understand what damn people in SAG are continually nominating Glee but not Parks for best ensemble.

10. Award shows are so boring. The same 5 shows or people are nominated for every show and the same people usually win all award season.

11. Eric says:

Look at cable series go!!!

12. Ellen says:

Congratulations, Glee! This talented and hard working cast is still the best thing about this show. These actors made Glee!!!

13. NOYB says:

Yawn… all the safe choices… year after year after year.

14. Ann says:

NO DEXTER? SAG YOU SUCK!

15. Pat says:

Not even a Stunt nomination for Spatacus? Majorly overlooked show in acting too. SMH

16. Lauren says:

I’m sick of seeing Nurse Jackie treated like a comedy. That slot should have gone to Parks & Rec. Also Glee? Really?

17. rebecca says:

Glee? Really?

18. Bessie says:

Julia Louis-dreyfus has been severely overlooked. I love her on veep! such a SHAME!

19. Bessie says:

And no julie bowen either???!?!!

20. Joe says:

SAG is always slow on nominating new shows. They snubbed Homeland big time last year while it won everything else.

So Girls and Veep will have to wait until next year.

• Steph says:

Homeland wasn’t eligible last year. It didn’t premiere until the fall. Duh!

• Emily says:

But it says that the eligibility period was all of 2012… so that means the last one was for all of 2011. Homeland aired all of Season 1 in 2011, so they should’ve been eligible. But 2012 isn’t over yet… how do episodes that haven’t (or hadn’t, depending on when voting happened) aired yet meet eligibility?

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Unless I am thinking of another awards ceremony, I think it was a pretty famous snub that Homeland didn’t get nominations last year. I know there was one that did it, I think it was SAG, and there was speculation they would make up for it this year.

21. Blair says:

Where is Girls? Where is Game of Thrones? The decent story lines of Glee died after S1 Ep 13…

22. Kymi says:

More proof as to why cable & network shows need to be seperated! No parenthood?! No SOA?! Always the same shows nominated when others keep getting love from the critics…as much as I love awards season I just don’t get how people keep getting left out & it’s the same old thing every time!

• Steph says:

Well at least you have The People’s Choice Awards to recognize popularity rather than acting skills.

• mojackcity says:

Really? SOA? shouldn’t be nominated for acting skills? Please…..

• A.Rae says:

Being an SOA fan is an exercise in total martyrdom… I’m actually getting used to it, but I truly wish I didn’t have to!

• Britta Unfiltered says:

This is my favorite comment on TVLine I’ve ever read the whole time I’ve been coming here. You very succinctly summed up in two sentences exactly how I feel about that show. It usually takes me several paragraphs to do that!

23. heather says:

Gross, Glee!?!?! It was AWFUL last season. Parks and Rec and Community were truly superior in writing, directing and acting. Crazy

• S says:

The SAG Awards aren’t for writing or directing, so that’s irrelevant. They’re for the performers. The cast of Glee learn choreography and songs, record said songs and perform them on top of the usual work that goes into a TV show. They film episodes in the same (or lower) amount of time as other shows do. If that isn’t worthy of a nomination, I don’t know what is. And I don’t even watch Glee.

• Michelle says:

The SAG Awards also aren’t for choreography and singing so your comment is irrelevant.

• Sib says:

Do you think when they are doing the singing or dancing scene they don’t act at the same time? When lea Chris Cory matthew or Jane doing that singing scene they also have to act according to the song they’re singing. If you saw lea Michele and Chris colfer performance(act and sing) in last week episode of glee you know what I’m talking about

• Michelle says:

I’ve seen Glee and the acting is terrible. No way does it deserve an ensemble nomination over Parks and Rec, Community or even Veep or Girls. All of those shows have great casts with actors far more talented than the cast of Glee.

• Sib says:

Clearly youre the minority because many reputable critics don’t agree with you. The obvious problem with glee is the writing, acting(especially the original cast not the newbies in season4) is never been a problem.

• Josh says:

Have you heard the songs or seen the choreography? It’s not like they are putting on a Broadway show each week. And we know the singing is 90% autotune.

24. cca says:

Why isn’t January Jones on the cast list for Mad Men? I hope this isn’t a spoiler about Betty leaving the show.

25. Sabrina says:

Congratulations for Homeland. I hope they’re win all their categories. I also don’t understand why Glee was nominated. The show hasn’t been good for years.

26. ricardo says:

None of the 2012 emmy winners, with the exception of Eric Stonestreet, were nominated in the comedy categries. No Julia Louis-Dreyfus?? No Julie Bowen ?? How the hell can that be….

• Ryan says:

Honestly, my money is on jealousy. Anyone who says awards “don’t matter” is lying. Hollywood awards are everything to actors. Notice, the usual winners everywhere else in the female categories aren’t nominated here.

27. Lia says:

Lewis & Danes FTW, Homeland is going to sweep this thing.
    Spartacus should have gotten a stunt nom!

28. Abril says:

I do believe there are ensembles that deserve it more but if there’s an award nomination, not win, Glee can still get is that one. Those actors deserve my admiration for withstanding such horrible fall in quality from the show runners and those awful writers.

29. MrMank says:

And the hatefest for Sons of Anarchy continues. I suppose they should be grateful that their stunt team got nominated. What a joke! I really wanna know who’s responsible for the voting. I was told once that it was actual actors. You’d never know it.

30. Guy says:

What is with the Parks & Rec snubs as of late?

31. I know I ask this after every awards show nominations are announced but… WHERE IS COMMUNITY & SONS OF ANARCHY??? Also adding… WHERE IS GIRLS?

32. james says:

Parenthood is not nominated again….

33. Sib says:

I agree with some comments above. If there’s any awards that glee deserved a nomination these days, it’s SAG awards. The cast(mainly the original ones) are one of the most talented, hard-working ensemble on television nowadays. It’s really unfortunate that the writers can’t seem to figure it out what’s best story for the casts after season 1

34. Kelly says:

What a snooze-worthy list of nominees. A litany of repeat nominees who are not worthy and a ton of MIA quality shows. I am an awards show junkie and I could care less about the SAGs this year. Big FYI to the guild…Glee (I used to be a fan) is barely a comedy, barely an ensemble, and barely good…why the nom?

35. Sasha says:

The one thing I’m completely happy about is that Jon Cryer was not Nominated for anything!!!

Because I’m still pissed about him winning that Emmy….

36. Chandramas says:

Still No Stana Katic as best actress!!!!! I mean did they even watch her ONCE?!

• Alan says:

yet another worthy nominee absent. i used to think the fringe awards were brave enough to nominate those that deserve it not those that are popular but ive even lost faith in them now

37. ayelen says:

community should be nominated! what even makes glee a comedy?

• Shawn says:

Shut your smarm-hole. Glee is the worst thing to ever appear on television.

• harriet says:

And aren’t you lovely? it’s people like you who glee clearly isn’t aimed at. You know, a show about appreciating everyone’s individuality and their opinions.

• Alan says:

oh really, its a show that just constantly hammers its own opinion down viewers throats. its only because those views are a little more tolerable that people don’t take as much notice. they definitely appreciate views of others that don’t fit into their very narrow view on the world

38. Any says:

Ah, come on! I mean, I have nothing against the nominated but seriously… no Castle? No Stana Katic or Nathan Fillion? I think SAG’s should consider to add “Dramedy” to the list because there is no way Castle can’t be taking into account…

39. Susan says:

How is Community not nominated for Best Ensemble at least? The Greendale 7 and Dean are perfection.

40. melliemd says:

Drama ensemble without Parenthood or AHS: Asylum is a little sad.

41. tvaddict says:

same old same old

42. Ozzie says:

I can’t believe Parenthood is always overlooked. The acting is great and the ensemble cast makes it one of the best shows on TV.

43. DavidSask says:

If Modern Family continues to sweep in awards then Hollywood sucks! Veep was also robbed! Walking Dead is nowhere?

44. JO says:

Community is the very definition of ensemble comedy. What a crock.

45. Sara says:

Sorry but why does Glee keep getting nominated?

46. harriet says:

Do you know what would make a really nice change? If people could stop complaining about Glee. This award is about honoring an ensemble of performers. So why not get back to me when the cast of your favorite TV show does 16 hour days, 6 times a week, singing and dancing for hours on end.

• SW says:

Exactly. People complaining on this article are complaining about the writing. This award is for the actors. It has nothing to do with the writers. And the cast of Glee puts in tons of work. They not only have to spend 16 hours shooting episodes everyday (Darren Criss and Chris Colfer, alone, just spent 11 hours in ice skates, skating, shooting ONE scene a couple of weekends ago), they also have to spend hours recording in the studio several days a week, hours learning choreography several days a week, doing events every weekend, and during the summer they don’t even get a break because they go on tour (except for last summer). Chris Colfer and Lea Michele sometimes even have to fly to NY and shoot on the weekends instead of taking a break. Just last weekend, Darren Criss flew into NY to perform 6 songs for a CHARITY event, then immediately flew back to LA to go back to shooting Glee, without a single break. I dare someone to tell that cast to their face that they don’t work hard and are undeserving of a nomination.

• Alan says:

its an acting award and about 90% of the cast would be shamed by community theatre, thats why we are complaining

47. Eliza says:

Nothing for “Call the Midwife”? It’s an excellent miniseries at par with or even, dare I say it, better than “Downton Abbey.”

48. lll says:

Where the hell is Person of Interest nominations?

49. Michelle says:

No Sherlock?! Bugger off, SAGs. I don’t watch ANY of those shows. Nice to know I can skip the ceremony!