TVLine Items: AMC Re-Renews Hell on Wheels, CNN Looking to Land Ann Curry and More!

Hell on Wheels Season 3 SpoilersAMC has renewed Hell on Wheels for a third season… again.

Allow us to explain: The Western-set period drama was first given a Season 3 pickup back in October, but shortly thereafter executive producer John Shiban announced he’d be vacating his spot as showrunner. As a result, the renewal was put on hold. (Creators/EPs Joe and Tony Gayton also left the series after Season 2.)

RELATED | AMC Poised to Un-Cancel The Killing

On Wednesday, however, the cabler gave Hell‘s third season a green light, with John Wirth (Falling Skies) at the helm.

The 10-episode season is slated to bow in late 2013.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Onetime Today boss-turned-CNN president Jeff Zucker may find a new home for the NBC morning program’s shoddily shipped-off Ann Curry — as CNN’s new 8 o’clock anchor. Sources tell the New York Post that if Curry is placed in the primo position (as part of a larger bid to boost the cabler’s flagging ratings), current anchor Anderson Cooper would segue into a “globetrotting correspondent” role.

RELATED | Angus T. Jones Addresses His ‘Filth’-y Men Rant, Apologizes for Showing ‘Lack of Appreciation’

• CBS has ordered another comedy project from prolific producer Chuck Lorre, Deadline reports. Titled Mom, the multi-camera pilot follows a newly sober single mother living in Napa Valley.

• Lifetime and Jennifer Love Hewitt are teaming up on a modern-day retelling of Pride and Prejudice, titled Darcy’s Town, per The Hollywood Reporter.

• ABC has shelved it’s just-ordered paranormal summer series Weird Desk, Deadline reports, and will revisit the project during pilot season. The schedule shuffle is said to be due to concerns of thematic overlap with Joss Whedon’s buzzy ABC pilot Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D.

RELATED | Exclusive: Joss Whedon’s Red-Hot S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot Adds ‘Deadly’ New Agent

• TLC has set a Jan. 14 premiere date for Pete Rose: Hits and Mrs, a reality show centering on the controversial MLB legend and his Playmate fiancée.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (30)

• I’m curious to see where HOW goes. I can understand all those people leaving, they must feel like they told the story they wanted to tell.

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 12, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking along the same lines. Given how the season ended, it’s practically going to be an entirely new show next year, even without the behind the scenes changes. Still, I’m happy to get more, whatever it turns out to be.

Comment by wordsmith – December 12, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • do you really think Lilly and the Swede (sp?) are dead? I think it left it kond of open that they could have survived. May be not true to the wetern ways but I am still skeptical that they actually ARE dead. We will see I guess.

Comment by Rachel – January 16, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, I agree. I believe Lilly will cough her way out of it, and the swede was able to swim to safety??? I was devastated by last season’s ending???

Comment by Nancy – February 17, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad idea, CNN.

Comment by Dutch Engstrom – December 12, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t really care about Ann Curry, but I enjoy watching Anderson Cooper’s show during the 10 pm rebroadcast.

Comment by dan – December 12, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to hear HoW got the official re-renewal. I enjoy Falling Skies so I’m hopeful for a good transition.

Comment by CF – December 12, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Chuck Lorre casts some volatile train wreck to lead his latest project. I know that would be out of character for him, but it would keep the blogosphere buzzing for another decade or so…

Comment by TV Gord – December 12, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good idea, CNN. Love Curry.

Comment by Simon – December 12, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC will do anything to get back in people’s good graces after that Today fiasco.

Comment by lll – December 12, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good luck Ann Curry.

And a modern day retelling of Pride & Prejudice? It was called Bridget Jone’s Diary. Oh they mean another one starring Jennifer Love Hewitt…can’t see that.

Comment by Renee – December 12, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would they demote Cooper and not Pierce Morgan? Anne Curry at 8, Cooper 9-11.

Comment by Ryan Schwartz – December 12, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree they need to get rid of pierce Morgan period!

Comment by jan – December 12, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All on board? Great! Lets go ahead and turn Hell on Wheels into the c**p fest that is Falling Skies!
    Cannot wait for SHIELD!!!

Comment by John – December 12, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay another chuck lorre sitcom, thats exactly what we needed. two and a half men is easily the best sitcom out there, the big bang theory is so good at making people laugh at nerds for having different tastes and mike and molly is the best representation of a relationship on tv.
    just in case anyone out there doesnt get it that was all sarcasm. chuck lorre needs to go crawl into a hole and think about the utter crap he has unleashed on the world

Comment by Alan – December 12, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “…a newly sober single mother living in Napa Valley.” So he’s remaking Grace Under Fire then? :) I don’t know how I feel about the Hell on Wheels renewal. The season 2 finale really seemed like a series finale, and they got rid of a LOT of characters. I’m still stunned by the murder of Lily. I think it will be a completely different series when it comes back, especially with new showrunners. Maybe they should have just let it die with dignity?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 12, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They still haven’t renewed Walking Dead lol.

Comment by joe – December 12, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most likely AMC negotiating a larger episode order.

Comment by Teag – December 12, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i doubt the writers would want to do more though with how well 8 + 8 has worked for them so far in terms of story structure, so if thats the negotiation thats going on it could go on for a while

Comment by Alan – December 12, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be more excited about HOW’s renewal if the season 2 finale didn’t still make me rage. Frakking fridging women trope

Comment by Mila – December 12, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Ann Curry!

Comment by N – December 12, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Ann Curry will be ding the real news and not the BS that passes for news at NBC and The Today Show. Real news is what she does best.

Comment by Midori004 – December 12, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was wondering how long it would take Ann to land at CNN. CNN should pair Ann Curry and Anderson Cooper together. I could see them sitting side by side One of these days The Today Show is going to wake up and smell the coffee and do what they should have done a long time ago…fire Matt Lauer

Comment by Scottyb – December 12, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bring Lily backHOW!

Comment by joterri – December 12, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why CNN? There’s no reason to do this to Anderson Cooper. He’s excellent at what he does.

Comment by Esaul – December 12, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *sigh*Hell on wheels is gonna be so lame without the Swede and Lily…..it’s just so depressing.

Comment by Shaun – December 12, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well if they cancel ac360 I wont be turning into CNN anytime soon

Comment by Michael – December 12, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only reason I’d tune in to watch even a single episode of Mom would be to see how inaccurately they portray rural Napa Valley.

Comment by Flora – December 13, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post