The Voice Semifinal Results Recap: Did the Right Singer Get the Boot This Week? [Updated]

voice cassadee nicholas trevin“Sometimes when we’re at our most vulnerable is when we truly let people in to figure out who we are as artists,” declared Carson Daly at the top of The Voice Season 3 results telecast. Naturally, the super-efficient host’s use of “we” got me wondering if I’d somehow missed an important biographical detail from his past.

Was Carson ever in one of those post-NKOTB boy bands that never quite ignited the public’s imagination? (That would imply the guy gets, or has gotten, jiggy!) Does he moonlight as an acoustic troubadour, playing coffee houses up and down the California coastline? (That would suggest he wears his heart on his carefully pressed sleeve.) Oh wait, maybe he views hosting a reality singing competition as an art form. (But, really, only Cat Deeley can make that claim.)

RELATED | The Voice‘s Melanie Martinez on ‘Toxic’, Xtina Critiques and Weird Onstage Talk of Her Ex

Only Carson himself (or maybe Wikipedia) knows the answer. But me, I’ve got more important tasks at hand — no, not reading the Voice‘s wardrobe department for slapping another heinous scoop-neck blouse on Trevin Hunte — but rather, bringing you the intel on which three contestants will be competing in next Monday’s finale. Without further ado…

Sent to Safety (in chronological order)
Terry McDermott
Cassadee Pope
Amanda Brown (Yes, you may say I’m a dreamer…maybe totally deluded…but I’m not the only one!)

RELATED | The Voice‘s Amanda Brown on Grace Potter Covers, Distracting Dancers and ‘Dream On’

Final Two Standing in Limbo
Nicholas David
Trevin Hunte

RELATED | The Voice Season 3 Semifinals Recap: To Die Four

Eliminated
Trevin Hunte

Yes, folks, barring Cee Lo committing an act of open warfare against Nicholas, you won’t be hearing a treacly old ballad on next Monday’s finale. Which is all well and good, seeing how Trevin performed enough of ‘em over the course of Season 3 that they’d all fit very nicely on a disc called Now That’s What I Call Music I’ve Heard 247 Times on Reality Singing Competitions (Vol. Kill Me).

And lest you think I’m being overly tough on the teenager with the monster voice and a penchant for denim vests, check out what he foisted on his unsuspecting public throughout his Voice “journey”: Beyonce’s “Listen”; Mariah Carey’s “Vision of Love”; Phil Collins’ “Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)”; Laura Branigan’s “How Am I Supposed to Live Without You”; Percy Sledge’s “When a Man Loves a Woman”; Whitney’s “The Greatest Love of All”; “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” from Dreamgirls; and Bette Midler’s “Wind Beneath My Wings.” Only Usher’s “Scream” (a hot, buttered disaster) and Katrina and the Waves’ “Walking on Sunshine” (too painful to be revisited with adjectives) broke Trevin’s saccharine streak. Truly, he was the right contestant to go home — albeit two or three weeks too late, if you ask me.

As for the telecast’s multitude of performances — pack ‘em in, I say, and spread the alumni love! — let’s do a quick rundown:

* Juliet Simms’ “Wild Child” | I could’ve lived without the black vinyl romper with odd fluffy train, but Season 2’s should’ve-been champ rocked pretty hard, even if the truncated live version didn’t have a chance to build to the same roaring conclusion as what I bought on iTunes earlier today.

* Terry & Cassadee: Of Monsters and Men’s “Little Talks” | Was it just me, or did Terry seem like he’d rather have been anywhere — even the Sprint lounge being interviewed by that nincompoop Christina Milian — than on stage for this duet. Cassadee, for her part, sounded great — and her green sequined dress was the outfit of the night.

* RaeLynn’s “Boyfriend” | Admittedly, the drawling kewpie doll Lolita haunted my waking nightmares throughout Season 2, but gosh golly darnit, her first single is as tart and addictive as a Sour Patch Kid, and her performance was loads of fun. That, plus the bonus fact that she cowrote it with fellow Voice grads Hailey Steele and Nicolle Galyon, prompted me to download it on iTunes right after the show.

* Chris Mann’s “Roads” | Dude has higher VPM (vibrato per minute) than a cell phone permanently stuck on vibrate, but I guess if you like Josh Groban music paired with Ben Stiller’s Blue Steel expression from Zoolander, then you’re more the target audience for this than I am?

* Nicholas & Trevin: Mariah Carey’s “Hero” | I’m just going to pretend the guys sang “Heartbreaker” or “It’s Like That” or “Emotions” because I just cahhhhhhhhhn’t (and in fact, I WON’T!) with another reality singing competition cover of “Hero.”

And with that, let me turn things over to you:

Did Trevin deserve to get cut? If not him, then who? And who’s most likely to take home the Season 3 crown next week? Hit the comments with your thoughts, and for all my Voice news, interviews, recaps, and exclusives, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. ETG says:

No surprises here. The only thing left to be determined is just WHO is gonna come in second….. Nick or Terry. Cassadee probably has the win sewn up already.

2. flutiefan says:

i am shocked.
    Cassadee and her goat vibrato should go.

• jen says:

Agree 1000%. Ironic that she will win The Voice not because of her voice but purely because of her looks.

• Brooke says:

She won’t win for her looks, she’ll win for her prior fanbase.

• JC says:

Which is exactly why someone like her (an artist who’s had a major record label contract) should not be allowed on The Voice.

• GMom says:

Actually, at the beginning of The Voice, they seeked out artists who weren’t “amateurs”. Rebecca Loebe in the first season and many others were club singers, So Cassadee had a right to compete, along with others who tried out.

• Still A Fan says:

I also did not know who Cassadee was before this show and like her. I enjoy her voice and her performances. People claim her prior fanbase is helping but if she truly had this many fans before The Voice, her band would be successful and she wouldn’t need this show. I hope either her or Terry win it all.

• Lydia's Bones says:

People do not make it to the finale of The Voice on looks. That didn’t help Dez Duron, did it?

• mia says:

I disagree with you, I love Cassadee and its her voice that made me vote for her. I didn’t know her from her band before, and it took a few weeks for her to grow on me. But she’s shown so much maturity and honesty and emotion when she sings, can’t help but love it.

• I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

Agreed. I didn’t even know who she was until the live rounds, because I wasn’t paying attention to her. Then, I started realize that I liked her. So, she’s gaining a lot of new fans.

• Magically Suspicious says:

Agree.

• Tom22 says:

I agree too. Her connection with songs is really superb and her voice, how she colors notes to dwell on syllables and … well there are so many variables that people bring to their voice… even those of us who can’t sing can say the same sentence in different tones of voice and mean far different things by the way we say it . She does so musically in a beautiful and interesting way that makes me contemplate the emotions. I do hear her either being flat, or just singing certain notes a way I don’t like them if my ear is off, but maybe she can continue to work at that or maybe those are just notes in songs that are a bit low for her range that she wouldn’t have composed or picked herself for an album

• Winnie says:

Cassadee’s goat voice (ur words not mine) is prolly better than anything you’ve heard on the radio lately. She is a great singer and should win it all. Terry McDermott and her are pitch perfect. Never knew of her until this show and much like the others she grew on me. I am a first time fan not bec of her looks either.

• Ashley says:

Maybe. If your radio only plays Kesha (I refuse to spell it her way) and the soundtrack from Alvin and the Chipmunk parts 1, 2, and 3.

3. Chris says:

I loved seeing Juliet and Rae Lynn. Both of their singles are great and I hope they continue to be successful!

LOVE that Terry and Nicholas (the man with the voice) are still in this thing!

Best of luck to you Trevin – keep living your dream out loud.

4. I think Trevin should have stayed instead of either Nicholas or Cassadee. They both have good voices but Trevin’s is soooo good!

• ETG says:

Trevin’s voice CAN be good, but he didn’t always have the control over it that he needed. His performance last night was an absolute disaster. Wrong song, weak delivery.

• pam1999@prodigy.net says:

Trevon… Wrong notes and wrong songs. I blame C-lo. Unfortunately, Trevon is more trusting then his teammate. Trevon is still developing as an artist. He was right and ripe to go.

• Blair says:

No way… Nicholas is WAY better.

• Jim says:

TOTALLY agree. Shocked that Trevin was the one…I should have voted for him more often! The 3 remaining are simply not in his class, and I can’t believe the criticism on here of him? The micro-critique on voice control applies to Terry and Cassadee occasionally, not Trevin remotely, and Nicholas was the one with the weak night last week (when he should’ve gone instead of Amanda). I’m afraid the Voice is becoming American Idol, Jr.

• gregk says:

My wife and I both would buy Trevin’s music; he indeed had the best voice. Hopefully he will go on to be a strong recording artist.

5. TW says:

How in the world is Terry possibly still in this competition? Don’t get it at all. Yikes.

• ETG says:

Terry has improved his look and his sound during the course of the show, but he is still a VERY generic “rock” singer….

• gailer says:

Agree. They are all pretty generic when you think about it.

• Mel31602 says:

Terry and Nicholas ( and Trevin) do not strike me as current artists. Thats probably why they dont do any modern songs. I’ve been trying to figure out why I find Xfactor more entertaining than The Voice and I think the old song choices on the latter may have something to with it.

• ETG says:

I might enjoy X-Factor more if they replaced the ENTIRE panel of judges…..

• Mel31602 says:

To ETG (for some reason I can’t reply directly under your comment)

I’ve heard people complain about the judges on that show but IMO they are just as self centered and over praising as the Voice mentors. And there is no evidence that the Xfactor mentors are less invested in their singers than the Voice judges

• ETG says:

Mel, all one has to do is to observe the opening moments of the shows….. in the X-Factor, the judges ALWAYS have to make some damn grand, overdone entrance so that there is NO mistaking that THEY are the real stars of the show. The Voice program begins with the judges seated and the CONTESTANTS on the stage; now, THAT’s the way it should be!!!

• Mel31602 says:

Still the judges on Voice usually end up either bickering w each other or saying everyone was amazing. At least the XFactor judges have actually given critique in recent weeks. I’ve only watched the last four Voice episodes and I don’t think the judges said one negative thing about any of them

• To Mel31602–they aren’t “judges” they are coaches. They will give some constructive criticism, but their role isn’t to “judge.”

• clare says:

are you kidding me… Terry has an amazing voice & talent… what don’t you like about him? He is as talented as Rod Stewart & a few other older performers so what’s your beef?

• Ed says:

Oh please. Terry isn’t worthy to carry Rod Stewart’s water bottle for him. Just because he’s from the UK doesn’t automatically make him great. He is mediocre and I am very surprised that he made it this far.

• Debbie says:

Get it right, he is from SCOTLAND… whole different COUNTRY…

• DJ says:

The UK is not just England.

“England, Scotland and Wales together with the province of Northern Ireland, form the country officially known as “The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland” or simply the United Kingdom.

• TheBeach says:

Actually, Ed is correct as the UK is comprised of England, Scotland and Wales.

• Ed says:

So…. Debbie. How about this: Before you slam someone online, make sure YOU have YOUR OWN damn facts straight, OK??? Sheesh.

• tnsmoke says:

Well, he had to get permission from Sir Paul McCartney to sing Let It Be and he got it! He says he and Blake were shocked.

6. Blair says:

I loved Juliet Simms’ ‘Wild Child’ song!!
    I also LOVE those Voice Confessionals!

7. BOOYA says:

I would have loved an all woman finale. Amanda, Melanie and Cody. I mean Cassadee.

8. Harriett says:

I’m not a Nicolas David fan, but that’s just me. I’m hoping for Terry McDermott.

9. Josh says:

I agree that Terry should be gone he should have left last week Happy for Nick and Cassadee who i hope it comes down to!

10. Sam says:

I love how much Michael loves Amanda Brown. Cause I do too.

11. Jessie says:

HOW IS CASSADEE STILL A CONTESTANT???????

• njm says:

Because she’s the one selling the most ITunes songs, likely getting the most votes, the most YouTube views, and has the most commercial appeal?

Was this actually your question?

• JLB says:

That’s a good question, Jessie. I find her voice thin and reedy, though she can hit most of the notes (she will go flat in her upper register from time to time). And her constant arm raising is irritating. She should strap one to her hip or wear a sling to keep it under control. I’ve seen her armpits more than my boyfriend’s.

12. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

With how things went this week, yeah it was fair. Trevin does have a great voice but has come a little undone at times with it all in recent weeks.

And thankfully Amanda made it to the final. She is the most awesome contestant of the season (although some others are pretty cool too). It was refreshing to see one of the right ones make it to a final. I thought the “Let The Right One Win” was a horror movie, but thankfully I was mistaken! So great and man did she ever take down the house with her performance this week. Can’t wait to see what she does for the finale!! Sooo glad we all got to hear that! Go Amadna! You cannn dooo iiit!

• DJ says:

What are you talking about? Amanda was eliminated last week!

• Marianne says:

Wait– you do know Michael was kidding about Amanda? She left last week.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Ah yet another one who somehow thinks that Amanda could have actually been voted off! So sad. Such a thing simply could not have come to pass. It would violate the laws of physics and yet I see no rips in the fabric of space ti…. wait, oh no, what’s that over there…. Mayans 2012. Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

OK, since I learn once again that sarcasm rarely works outside of the NY-Metro Tri-State area. I know she is gone. I was just saying that it is kinda wrong that that is the case.

• DJ says:

Sorry. I didn’t read the recap – just went straight to the comments. I thought that you had just mixed up the names and meant Cassadee when you said Amanda. Amanda was my favorite and the only one I voted for.

• Sam says:

Well, I got the joke.

13. gailer says:

Rae scared me. And those lyrics! oy vey

14. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Looks like it will be Cassadee FTW with it seems perhaps Terry for second, although more of Trevin voters go to Nicholas????? At least Cassadee has come a long, looong way from the beginning and she really hasn’t been doing badly lately, other than Amanda, it’s a fair win although perhaps Nicholas deserves it more. If she has a great finale then it won’t be all that wrong, she has come into her own, even if she does seem to be a bit of an annoyingly chosen one, at least ever since it went live.

• njm says:

I get this criticism. The Voice producers seem hellbent on doing what they can to grow Cassadee’s bandwagon before the show is over. I don’t think Cassadee has much control over that, though…as it is all editing (and controlling what XTina says…and no one can really do that).

It’s really unfortunate, because Cassadee would do fine without what people perceive as extra help.

• teatime says:

I think Cassadee got the Chosen One treatment only after they saw her iTunes sales and maybe some other indications of her popularity. I remember Blake making a comment to her early on where he referred to her as a ‘fan favorite’ or something like that. I thought it was odd for him to say that but in hind sight she must have been high in the iTunes sales early on. For me, that is much different from when the judges decide someone is a front-runner and push them every week when for all we know they never were and all the support help push them along.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Yeah, as I said they didn’t seem to push her until after it went live and the first charts and all came in. Which is different from Idol where they’d push them from day 1 and then fight dirty and try to take down, by an means, threats to their chosen ones, even if it meant unfairly trying to make their own contestants look bad in rather unfair and destructive ways. So it’s not as bad. Also not as bad because she actually is singing about worth top three anyway for the last few weeks.

• teatime says:

With Cassadee I see it more as the judges jumping on the band wagon because they see she is popular. Maybe when it comes down to it that is what happens in other instances on other shows and the judges are just reading the tea leaves wrong.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

It’s more than that since on the other shows they clearly try to beat some down and even production I mean like one time they had they use a skype-like thing to call home and they most chat like for an hour and one contestant got like three seconds and it happened again and again. Definitely dirty tricks on other shows.

• Tom22 says:

I never felt they were making her the “chosen one” . Their complement for other artists were also quite warm . Blake called a couple performances of Nicholas on par with a legend (and the show even featured the real Bill Withers coming in and giving warm compliments in a training session).

While Christina made i clear last week that after watching the singers progress she was incredibly impressed with Cassadee she also gave Trevin a standing ovation that week with an enthusiasm i’ don’ think she’s ever done for Cassaddee.

I’ve expressed it here. I vote based upon the compilation of work over a season.. not a given show. By this point we have seen 95% of the songs contestants will sing. If you haven’t made a choice who deserves to win by now you must think that two are about exactly even and need to watch the last episode to keep from flipping a coin.

If I think someone is ahead at this point.. the performance of one behind would need to be so outstanding to be something I’d listen to for years to change my mind to out weigh what we’ve heard before. By this week, and even last week I do think the judges had heard enough to at the very least have 2 or 3 in their minds of the 6 and their job is to share their opinions.

I never felt that they were trying to dis contestants they didn’t like to discourage viewers from voting for them. I think they were honest to themselves in saying how they liked the others while still suggesting what they would ALSO have liked , or perhaps, by omission, not particularly complimenting vital things like their singing.

15. Ronnie says:

The result should be no surprise if you look at the iTunes sales. Terry has been getting momentum from the sales and since having a song in the top 10 multiplies voted by 10, Cassadee and Terry have been getting the bounce. The only reason they didn’t have 2 finalist is because this new rule has been benefiting those two and there would no be no suspense next week when the only contestants would be from one coaches team.

16. Kathy says:

The comments here told you that Trevin was going to be the one going home because of him being way off key. He also was not doing well on iTunes, so not shocked at all.

17. Lara says:

Oh, i am glad. He [Trevin] is still in need of a few years training to be as huge as everyone wants him to be. Glad also to see Nicholas in the finale. Very well deserved. Not so happy to see that the way has been paved to Cassadee to be crowned except for the fact that she is a woman. Something to be glad for (sorry, but i am just so fed up with male singers always winning this singing competitions).

18. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Well here is to hoping that Trevin voters go to Nicholas and that he pulls the upset of all upsets and wins the entire thing. Seems like a good family guy and I like his personality. Would be cool if he won. Not sure Cassadee can be beat, but then again I said the same of Juliet last year.

• Golfchicknyc says:

AMEN. Nicholas is the one true, unique talent of the bunch. So happy he made it. Will be speed dialing for him next week!!!!

• ETG says:

I agree. I don’t care if Cassadee is supposedly more marketable. All I care about is the person that appeals to me the most, and that person this year is Nick. He is an artist and a gentleman; talent like his doesn’t come along very often.

• tnsmoke says:

Nicholas sings old retro songs same as Terry but Terry gets slammed for singing them. I don’t get it. Nick has a nice voice but I would never buy a cd of his. On the other hand, based on the music Terry has already made with his old band Drive Blind, I’d buy his new stuff. I also am going to buy ALL his iTunes Voice songs and make myself one heck of a mix cd! Go Terry or Cassadee and make Team Blake a double winner!

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

I dunno, wehn I see Nicholas I think of bands like The Black Crowes. He doesn’t have to sing oldies and he could be pretty popular in a band like that. I guess for me he just has something that has been missing from music for a while and that is an adult with a unique voice. Reminds me a LOT of CeeLo.

• more cowbell says:

If you want to check out what kind of music Nicholas would make outside of the Voice, you can search iTunes by his real name, Nicholas Mrozinski (David is just his middle name, but more viewer-friendly and pronounceable than Mrozinski).

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Nice, thanks for the tip.

• seattlejohn449 says:

I spent a couple hours last night checking out Nic’s website and hunting down non-Voice related videos and was AMAZED by how eclectic he is…touches of alt-country, electronica, funk, psychedelia, blues, folk, soul plus his weird clothes look totally natural with his free-spirited performing style…I thought he was VERY contemporary but the Voice has pigeon-holed him into being a retro act…don’t understand why CeeLo hasn’t tried to highlight his funky versatility…look up both the video and live versions of DRAGON and see him doing a dance-friendly track that can go toe-to-toe with Mr. CeeLo himself

• Brenda says:

Already have my Terry Voice songs…plus his DriveBlind, Lotus Crush and the 3 extra songs he put up with his voice performances. His voice is really beautiful no matter what he sings but all of his songs are charting in top 50 rock every week…yesterday #1 Let It Be, #2 I Want To Know What Love Is, #5 Maybe I’m Amazed back in top 10.
          Guess it’s no biggie that he’s also the first in the history of rock (outside of a Beatle) to be granted permission to perform the sacred “Let It Be”…EVER! If he seemed a tad nervous that night, in spite of his beautiful & flawlessly executed rendition, it was knowing what a HUGE deal that was!
          Really pulling for him to win this year… Love His Voice, sense of humor, love of his family and his humility and gratitude. Go Terry!

• Nickfan says:

I agree about Nicholas. He is so unique, great voice and very humble man. I really hope he wins!

19. Sara says:

He probably thinks hosting TRL back in the day makes him an expert

20. Spycig says:

I love Cassadee & Terry and am so glad both are in the finals and no I hadn’t heard of either before the show. It’s worth noting that The Voice searches for their contestants as getting some through the audition process so that’s why you see a lot of contestants that have been in bands (juiliet, Terry, Cassadee) and/or have had previous record deals (Cassadee with Hey Monday, Juiliet had 5 previous deals) so the show is trying to help artists that have stalled for whatever reason and give them another shot. FYI some of the Artist have really good recording voices and that’s why they’ve also done really well – Cassadee, Melanie, Nick, Terry to name a few. Amanda Brown was good live but her iTunes recordings were pretty bland which is why, IMO, people chose to download the original artists version of the song instead of hers whereas those others I mentioned did so well on iTunes!

21. dj says:

With the way they count the iTunes sales this year, it is really not even worth watching the results show. It takes all the suspense out of it. I didn’t like Juliet’s performance, although I liked her last year. I didn’t like Rae Lynn, either, but then I never understood her appeal while she was on the show. Different strokes.

• shelleysmiles says:

They called Terry before Cassadee and she was #1 on ITunes and Terry was #2. People are making way too much out of the iTunes figures. i think that most people vote and a very much smaller number buy. Plus, the votes available from voting methods vastly outstrips iTunes (say you have 2 email addresses, 1 phone, and a facebook account that’s 40 votes to 1 for iTunes or 10 if they make top ten. Best case scenario you are looking at 4:1, worst 40:1 kinda of figures. The only people upset about itunes are people whose artists don’t chart, ie, Amanda and Trevin. It means people didn’t like them, not that there is a voting system problem.

• teatime says:

They did not say that they called Terry first because he had the most votes. We don’t know the ranking on this show. We just know who goes home.

• shelleysmiles says:

Carson has commented in interviews that it seems to be in order. He’s made big points out being “first safe.”

• scootermcgavin says:

Carson saying it “seems” to be in order does not mean that it is in order. Remember the first week Bryan and Sylvia were both saved first and then were eliminated the very next week. I highly doubt that the two highest vote getters one week were nine and ten the next week.

22. Antonia says:

I dont care to watch the voice anymore. I hope someone very smart picks up Trevin because out off everyone he is the voice, and will have the voice for a long time!!!

23. jazzy says:

Slezak, Amanda had a great voice, some shimmy power, some mugging chops, easy on the eyes to quote AL that’s it! You need to move on to your next girl crush, remember Haley, Allison….etc. These girls don’t win, partly because America is dumb, but…..you of all people know you have to have the whole package. Uniqueness being numero uno (Minaj), the ability to connect with a song(Adele) , the ability to perform (Gwen) connect with an audience (Celine), be identifiable (all of the above). Amanda was all over the place. A great voice does not a star make.

24. jacqi says:

Here’s hoping for a Cassadee win!

25. nobozo says:

Was relieved that Cassadee was in the final as she did give the best performance last night. Trevin is very talented, but was so flat last night it was painful. His control is hit and miss. He needs some vocal training to improve. Thought by cleaning up, Nick looked so much better although not thrilled with his song choice. And Terry, well, rock on T. Go for it!

26. Laura says:

Trevin has such raw talent.I bet we haven’t heard the last of him.

Terry isn’t my kind of music, but I think he has a fantastic voice. Same with Cassadee.

I love Nicholas. I would love to see him sing Joe Cocker’s version of “A Little Help From My Friends” for his final song next week!

27. DJ says:

I didn’t like Terry and Cassadee’s duet at all. They just didn’t sound good together – not a good match.

• ETG says:

I didn’t think that either duet tonight was particularly good; Trevin & Nick’s was apparently selected by CeeLo to highlight Trevin’s range; it was, for the most part, out of Nick’s wheelhouse.

• Davey says:

That’s because Cassadee couldn’t sing in tune for half the song.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Cassadee tries really hard to sing over the other person in a duet. Nicholas has the opposite problem and gets drowned out a lot.

28. gailer says:

Bottom line: I watch the Voice for the judges and will continue to do so. The singers never are that great especially at the end.

29. Debbie says:

Yep, that is all we need is another girly pop singer. Sure don’t have enough of those do we? I am so sad about Trevin. I wish it would have been the guys in the final three. I want Terry to win however. I know some people don’t like the oldies throwback music he sings but he has a wonderful ROCK voice. That is what we need again is some good Rock and Roll music. I hate those pop songs.

30. Davey says:

I wish Cassadee were voted off. I can’t stand her. RaeLyn is creepy. Juliet who I really liked also scared me tonight.

31. chris cummings says:

Trevin deserved to go. In his last performance he could not hit a single note. I think was a very bad song choice for him. Wonder who picked the song?

32. laelia says:

I’m with Michael in wishing that I could see Amanda as a finalist — she deserves to be in these final rounds, which is frankly boring without her spark and artistry.

VoteForTheWorst has been geared toward X-Factor this season, but it’s been calling the presumed winner “Cassaplant” for several weeks. It’s hard not to see Cassadee as anything other than a ringer. True, the producers want to make sure this show cranks out a commercially viable star, but that could well have been Amanda Brown.

• operation mockingbird says:

I’ll admit that I’m drawn to conspiracy theories, but did anyone else receive a belated iTunes receipt for Amanda Brown’s last performance? I just got my receipt via email *today* meaning it was post-dated by weeks, when usually these transactions go through immediately. What gives? This is really weird, and I can’t help but wonder whether other iTunes votes got “delayed” so that they were not included in Amanda’s vote tally.

FWIW, that was the first time I ever downloaded a Voice track because I thought her performance of “You Make me Feel Like a Natural Woman” was extraordinary. I know many of us expected her to be in the final round, and I’m really surprised that she ended up going home that week. So the delay in processing the iTunes transaction seems fishy to me…

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

I always get iTunes receipts several days after they charge my card. Sometimes as early as the next day. Never weeks though.

33. Cassidy is not a great singer, I’m rooting for Terry, and Nicholas now that they sent Trevin home, we don’t need a voice like hers in the industry if they wanted a female winner this year it should’ve been Amanda Brown in the finale instead of Cassidy, IMO she sucks, GOOO Nick, and Terry !!!!!!

• JLB says:

I couldn’t agree more, Velinda. I think she’s okay but with a thin, almost whiny voice. For that reason her singing just makes me cringe, like hearing fingernails on a blackboard does. I would never buy one of her songs/albums.

• Tom22 says:

Its all about connection and ways of singing a phrase along the notes, not the perfect pitch or the strength of a power note. I see it more like I’d judge an actor or actress in how genuine they felt playing a role.. how they got the most out of good writers lines without destroying the illusion that they were in character.

34. Carmen says:

I was really sad to see Amanda Brown go home. I really thought she had what it took to win it. Now that I’ve said my peace on that…I really feel that Terry should have gone home. I like his style and voice but there seems to be no emotion in the songs he sings. It was a real disappointment, for me, to see him go ahead of someone with such amazing, raw talent like Trevin.

• JLB says:

If you don’t hear or see any emotion when Terry sings you must be emotionally bankrupt yourself. Oh, and btw, it’s “said my piece” not peace. You said it yourself about Trevin, he has amazing, RAW talent. He needs a few more years to perfect his voice and just doesn’t have it under control yet.

• Tom22 says:

He has emotion, but to me it is not a complex emotion that conveys the cross currents of important things like love or aspiration which occur in songs. We’re not just sad.. we’re torn both ways between anger and loss, and desperate hope when we break up.. and all I get from Trevin is sad. (of course it isn’t all or nothing.. I get a little more than sad but not enough to paint the complexity of the world.. which clearly from his family background I’d expect him to appreciate… I just don’t think he’s discovered an artistic way of doing so or is just a more simple and tender soul that doesn’t have a hidden edge i want)

35. GeeBee says:

Finally, the results were what they should have been! I think Trevin has a lot of potential . . . If only CeeLo would have chosen some decent songs for him. Here’s hoping that the finals next week are all about letting the contestants choose their own songs and show us what kind of artist they would “really” be.

36. njm says:

One thing to keep in mind as we look to next week: This is from the Voting rules on the The Voice website:

Following the broadcast of the finale performance episode, the artist receiving the higher number of total audience votes will be declared the winner of “The Voice”. The audience vote consists of the cumulative number of votes received during the finale’s voting window by telephone votes, online votes and Sprint SMS text message votes, in addition to the “Cumulative iTunes Vote Total”. The “Cumulative iTunes Vote Total” means the total number of iTunes purchases of an artist’s eligible songs from the live performances that air commencing on November 12, 2012, and continuing through and including the finale, up to a limit of ten (10) downloads per eligible song per valid iTunes account, including any iTunes Bonuses (if any) previously earned by an artist. For the sake of clarity, the Cumulative iTunes Vote Total will include iTunes downloads of eligible songs from the live performance episodes, up to a limit of ten (10) downloads per eligible song per valid iTunes account, beginning at the opening of the voting window for the November 12 episode and continuing until the close of the voting window for the finale, and will include downloads occurring during and outside the applicable voting windows for the performance episodes airing on November 12 through December 10, 2012.

TL:DR – I read this to mean that Cassadee’s total ITunes sales, including the ITunes bonuses (songs purchased during voting window x 10) will count toward the finals tally.

How will the other two contestants ever overcome the lead she must already have? I mean, seriously, her lead could be insurmountable before the voting window opens.

• ETG says:

Personally, I don’t think it is right to include results from past performances in the final tally.

• tnsmoke says:

But all 3 remaining artists are still selling and have been selling on iTunes since the live shows began. Wish everyone would quit this whole “Cassadee conspiricy theory”. I wasn’t a fan of hers but even I admit that with Blake’s coaching and song selections she has won me over on more songs lately. Adam wasted SO much time and energy on Melanie and should of spent it on Amanda more.

• njm says:

Cassadee has earned every ITunes bonus available…Nicholas and Terry have only earned them once or twice. Cassadee has also consistently ranked higher than them both.

I hope Cassadee wins, don’t get me wrong…but I am saying she would have to lose her voice to give this up if the rules are right.

• JLB says:

Hallelujah to the Melanie comment. He wasted time with that strange little creature which he could have spent with Amanda and maybe coached her to a win.

• Rick says:

So basically Cassadee doesn’t even have to show up and she’ll still win

• TGreene says:

Yes. It is a stupid rule. It makes as much sense as two teams going to the Super Bowl and having all the points they scored in the playoffs put up on the scoreboard before the game ever begins. To “The Voice” producers — it’s a NEW game next week!!! WHY do you have to saddle the finale with such a dumb azz rule???

• Tom22 says:

If you don’t know who you like best after they’ve sung 95% of the songs they’re going to sing you must thing the performers are dead even ?

I mean, if the score is 35 -21 in a football game with 2 minutes left its unlikely that even the best team can score twice.

I judge on the whole season. In my mind Melanie won the season, followed by Nicholas

I don’t expect America to agree with me.. I’d be shocked if america did agree with me and its really irrelevant how the final places sort out… that mostly comes down to how many people have what sort of taste in music and personality… which is all fair and good but doesn’t keep me from having my own opinion.

If my favorites got eliminated early and I never got to see them perform more than 3 songs that would have been disappointing… but after hearing 10 or 12 songs..taking that up to 14 or 16 wouldn’t have really given me much different an impression likely.

• TGreene says:

My point is that all three finalists should basically start with a clean slate next week. It is NOT fair to give someone a leg up before the curtain even comes up. Remember, the people that voted for Trevin may watch the finale and vote. They might throw their support behind someone OTHER than the presumptive front-runner. If they’re going to crown the winner NOW, why should anyone even watch next week? Stupid rule.

• SAM says:

Cassadee always had a leg up with her prior fan base you Don’t really beleive all the itunes sales came only from the show

• Spycig says:

I think it’ll actually be a tight race between Cassadee and Terry regarding iTunes sales because if you look on iTunes a lot of Terry’s songs are still selling strongly on the Rock charts. I do hope Cassadee wins. I wasn’t an original fan before the show and thought she was good but she won me over when she sang ‘Over You’ and now I’ve brought a lot of her Voice songs and a song she did with I See Stars. I’m sure ill buy her songs after The Voice too!

37. Davey says:

For those who liked Amanda Brown, I’ve been following her on Twitter and she is going to be doing singing on YouTube with her fans suggesting songs and then voting on what they would like to hear her sing. I voted for Being Good but there were four other songs to choose from including Piece of My Heart, the old Janis Joplin song.

38. gregk says:

Hardly any mention about Chris Mann, who does have a wonderful, trained voice. Although operatic, there is nothing wrong with that! Trevin could use some type of strong vocal training.

39. teatime says:

When is the last time someone won one of these singing shows after almost exclusively singing songs that are more than 25 years old? This is going to be a strange finale.

40. Sally says:

How about this idea – Blake and his peeps buying lots of Cassadee songs on iTunes to make sure she wins…his face lights up when he sees her…he certainly likes her

41. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

“I just wonder how Trevin would’ve grown — and fared — had he been paired with a mentor who’d stretched the boundaries of his artistry with younger, hipper fare. WE WILL NEVER KNOW.”

Scream and Sunshine which you both gave Fs.

42. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I like Juliet. The video is even better since it lasts longer and builds better.

43. JJ says:

(posted this on the wrong article the first time haha)

Is it or is it not true that misspelled Cassadee has a record deal? Like a current, active, record deal? It’s one thing to HAVE had one… it’s another thing if she still does. I think both Shelley and Aylin made very good points. If all you have to do is go to facebook to see the advantage Cassadee had going into The Voice over her competitors then I find that pretty hard to argue against. At the very least facebook seems to be saying that she had six times the number of people already aware of her and her band… and maybe even a lot more than that. And what Aylin said about her charting so well early on makes it pretty clear people were voting for her for other reasons than what they were seeing on the voice, considering in battle rounds they didn’t ever see her.

Trevin was such a mess on Monday that I’m not surprised to see him go and see Cassadee stay, but I’m not all that fond of her even being on the show in the first place. I want to see someone unique win the voice (like Nicholas) or someone who really represents an important genre of music that no one does properly anymore (like Terry). I feel like all this talk about Cassadee being marketable is like arguing that she sounds like a thousand other artists… “oh she sounds like people on the radio so she should win”. I think that’s a horrible reason for someone to win and I honestly don’t see it anyway.
    To me she sounds like everyone on the radio ten years ago… and it wasn’t really very good then… and sure as heck shouldn’t be allowed to come back. One Avril is enough, we don’t need Avril with a country twist.

It’s definitely discouraging to go on a site like Tumblr where all the youngsters lurk and see so many posts (with terrible grammar) bashing on any contestant over 25 or who doesn’t look like they were manufactured at the Pretty Store. There is no denying the high number of Pro-Cassadee posts that talk about how much they loved her Band, how much they loved her BF (maybe ex I didn’t want to research that nonsense), and how many times they downloaded her song. I mean if she already has 300k followers or more and they’re all downloading her song 5 or 6 times on Itunes… well then yeah… she’s gonna win… but that doesn’t have anything to do with what she’s done on The Voice.

44. Blank Slate says:

There wasn’t a stellar singer among the bunch last night, old contestants or new. I was, quite frankly, cringing during the performances. Generic, boring singers. Yawn. and p.s to Christina A: man sakes alive you must get over yourself… You are SO not all that.

• JLB says:

Ageee with everything you said. Xtina should really change her appearance, too, and stop wearing ridiculous outfits that are totally age-inappropriate and body-inappropriate, stop doing the stupid color streaks in her hair, and the makeup! No one looks good with black eyelids and bird wing eyelashes. She looks like she’s really trying hard to be hip and relevant but just failing. I think she’s just trapped in a time warp. She can be very cold and snippy, too, and she does somehow make nearly everything about her. I had lost track of her over these last years but now that I see her and hear her every week, I really don’t like her very much. Glad she’s leaving.

45. EVPandHC says:

To those who say Cassadee is not a great singer, so are some others from reality singing competitions. Understanding vocal limitations is probably one of the best strategies and I think Cassadee is taking that into account right now. She is really improving. This is coming from a non-fan of Cassadee, so don’t think I’m biased.

• JLB says:

Cassadee is not a great singer and I don’t care about the other reality singing competitions. Just this one and she shouldn’t win this.

46. JAO says:

Shoulda been Cassadee, Amanda, and Melanie. Three artists whose records I would buy.

47. “Truly, he was the right contestant to go home — albeit two or three weeks too late, if you ask me.” most definitely correct.

48. Chris says:

Michael, I agree. Terry seems to have as much fun singing as he would in the dentist chair having his tooth pulled. The duet with Cassadee really emphasized this because she was obviously enjoying herself.

49. ShowMe says:

Who cares? Amanda Brown deserved to win, and I’ve stopped watching the show or reading about it since she was robbed.