Arrow Adds Teen Wolf Alum Colton Haynes

Arrow Season 1 SpoilersErstwhile Teen Wolf star Colton Haynes has landed a recurring role on Arrow.

The actor, who in early October hinted at his departure from the MTV hit, joins the CW drama as Roy Harper, a “handsome, street-savvy” teen who falls for Oliver’s little sister, TV Guide Magazine reports.

RELATED | Arrow Scoop in Matt’s Inside Line!

Fans of DC Comics will likely recall that Haynes’ soon-to-be alter ego has taken on many iterations since his 1941 inception, including Green Arrow’s sidekick Speedy and the Justice League’s Red Arrow. Little is known, however, about how he’ll factor into Arrow‘s mythology, other than that he’s said to be a very “important player.”

Haynes — who played Kanima-turned-werewolf Jackson Whittemore during the first two seasons of Teen Wolf — is slated to make his Arrow debut in 2013.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News

1. Well, that didn’t take long. Lmao!

2. riley says:

love this show and its flawless casting. now i really hope the world doesn’t end.

3. Sam says:

oh ew.
    first of all this kid can’t act.
    secondly i can’t think of him without thinking about all the halloween blackface he does. again…ew.

• iMember says:

People seriously need to drop that. Also, you can’t say the guy can’t act, because he actually can. He definitely proved that when he was on Teen Wolf.

• dude says:

No he didn’t. I like Colton Haynes and i really liked Jackson and even I realized that he can’t act for crap. He overacts like crazy. His bulging eyes, super intense facial thing is not good acting.

• Sam says:

aww gee i’m sooo sorry my offense at a white boy doing blackface is so alarming to your soul! let me rein that in for you.

• Angie says:

lol no. He has repeatedly done the black face, no one should be dropping anything, especially when he’s not even apologized for the stuff he’s done.

• JC says:

Maybe when Hayes gets to the set of Arrow, he can explain to Colin Salmon, David Ramsey and Annie Ilonzeh why he thinks blackface is appropriate for his yearly Halloween costumes.

BTW, when you Google Colton Haynes, the fourth auto-fill suggestion is “Colton Haynes blackface” That’s one ahead of “Colton Haynes leaving teen wolf” So obviously, people are not interested in dropping it.

• John says:

LOL! Thanks for the laughs. Colton can’t act even if his life depended on it and this is coming from someone who likes Teen Wolf. This is a huge step back for Arrow which has been almost perfect so far in every department. And Willa has one of my favorites ever since The OC. I love Thea. It’ll be highly irritating to see this guy romancing her.

• rocco says:

LOL willa holland is absolutely atrocious in the role and her character is useless. DEAL WITH IT, this is the real speedy (Roy), the way it should be. They should just kill that character already, Green Arrow doesnt need a little sister.

• John says:

Arrow doesn’t need Colton to be Roy. Willa is perfectly fine for her character and could be great as Speedy. They should step up the writing for her. Colton, on the other hand, can’t act and that’s my real gripe.

• iMember says:

Whoa! Willa Holland is one of the best things about Arrow. I agree with John when he said the writers should step up her role in the show more. I’d like to see her be the real Speedy.

• aisforaims says:

Thank you! I’m sorry, but he has the emotional range of a paper bag. I ended up laughing my way through his “emotional” scenes on Teen Wolf. Also, glad that someone doesn’t conveniently forget the fact that he did something so offensive for two (three?) years straight. Sad such a great show had to cast such a bad actor.

• Josh says:

Yeah, he was the worst actor on Teen Wolf…and that says A LOT

4. Aimee says:

Well, there goes my streak of loving Arrow’s casting. I loved Kelly Hu, Barrowman, and David Anders. Sadly, not loving the Colton casting. He’s an incredibly weak actor in my opinion. He has a short emotional range that comes off laughable the majority of the time instead of sympathetic. Also, his departure from Teen Wolf and the way he came about that (the writers having to write alternative endings because he wouldn’t tell them if he was committing to the show’s third season or not, the writers having to write S3 episodes around him because he was STILL playing hardball with contacts, then the writers having to pay for his leaving after he decided to bite the hand that fed him) left a bad taste in my mouth. Add on the fact that he doesn’t find going blackface offensive to people at all to the list? Well, I think it’s safe to say I’ll give his episodes and maybe the rest of the season a pass, which is a shame because Arrow was one of the shows I liked the most on this network.

• iMember says:

The fact that you’re willing to quit on a show that you actually like just because of one casting choice shows how shallow and immature you’re acting. You have no idea how things will turn out. If you like all the other casting choices the casting crew of Arrow did, then why are you doubting them now?

• dude says:

Agreed. Come on dude, you don’t have to love every casting choice to love a show.

• aisforaims says:

Just because I’m giving his eps and possibly this season a pass doesn’t mean I won’t eventually return to it someday. Also, I liked the other casting choices because I’ve seen those actors in their previous works, just like I saw Colton on Teen Wolf. Those actors are all seasoned, brilliant, and more than capable of handling whatever roles they were given. Colton, for me, wasn’t even capable of handling a secondary character (a character with the potential for great moments had the actor been better) on an MTV series about werewolves. He proved that two season running with his strained acting for me. Why would I put my faith in him playing such an important character in the Green Arrow universe? He was poor on Teen Wolf and I believe he’ll be poor on this show too. Even though it’s not your opinion, it’s mine. Also, you going to every comment that doesn’t coincide with your stanning of him comes off a lot more immature than me right now. So you might want to check the mirror before you throw around accusations about acting immature. I’m sorry if my opinion puts your panties in a twist, but I don’t like the actor. Sometimes people have varying tastes and standards on what makes a good/not good actor. It’s a fact of life. Simple as that.

• Kristysiuyu says:

Agree on people have varying tastes and standards on what makes a good/not good actor…. So Stop arguing on whether he is good or not… I think he is good and you think he is not… It will never come to a conclusion… We’ll see if he is capable after the episodes are on air :)

• Nina says:

DAVID ANDERS IS COMING TO ARROW WHAAAAAAT???!!! wants.

5. Called it! Knew he’d up on The CW

6. Will wait and see says:

Well, that stinks that he’s leaving Teen Wolf, but Arrow has yet to make a wrong turn (except for maybe trying to make me hate John Barrowman. That’s blaspheme I tell you. Sorry, I digress.) I’ll hold out on forming an opinion until I see what happens.

• Jay says:

Teen wolf sucks! Besides, this guy won’t last long enough to be an issue. And as for Barrowman, this is going to be an awesome character for him. I hope he has fun playing him.

7. Ella says:

Nooo, Thea has to be with Tommy!

• iMember says:

Let’s not go there, yeah?

• John says:

No. Just NO! Keep your love for young girls falling for older men to yourself.

• rocco says:

True there lol, they want pedophilia.

In any case Thea doesnt deserve Roy he will be with Cheshire/Jade Nguyen, and they can have their Tommy/Thea hook up. So stop hating on Roy because of ships.

• John says:

Who’s hating him? Anybody who doesn’t see him through rose-colored glasses knows that he can’t act. And I really don’t care for ships.

• rocco says:

Uh willa fan boys, not everyone sees her with the wrong head like you do. Willa’s acting is bad and her character is pointless in the show. She will never be speedy, deal with it. The real speedy is here and here for good.

8. Roni says:

yes yes yes!!!!!

9. Kalee says:

Green Arrow and the eventual real Speedy? Stephen and Colton?

My god, think of all the shirtless training workout abs!

10. Nina says:

You’re all worried about this new kid’s acting? As if it could be worse than Stephen Amell’s attempt at acting. Or the rest of the cast for that matter. (Minus Katie Cassidy who needs to be cast on a show worthy of her talent). Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the show. But the acting is often laughable.

• Breezy says:

Thats funny because Katie Cassidy is the weakest actor ever on the show, even guest stars and new actors trumps her. Stephen acts circles around her as does everyone in the cast. She needs to go away, she will be doing the character of Laurel Lance and the show a favour. The girl cant act to save her life, she only got this role because of CW nepotism. Yeah katie needs to be cast in a show worth her “talent” – shows that are crap like Gossip girl or dead on arrival like Melrose place, not hit shows like Arrow that are going to see many seasons.

So please take your girl and find her a “better role and show” rolleyes. It couldn’t be more welcome

• John says:

Stephen has actually convinced me that he’s a decent actor and not just eye-candy (unlike the tiny scar face ‘Beauty’). I used to love Katie Cassidy, but she’s kinda wooden on this show.

• John says:

And I haven’t seen GG. I loved Katie on Supernatural.

• Foreverland says:

I agree with you there, Stephen has done everything to convince me he is more than eye candy and that he was the right choice for green arrow. It wasn’t easy for me to accept him because I’m a big fan of Justin Hartley since Passions and I loved the Green Arrow in Smallville watched him for 5 years in that role. So far the actor Stephen has been very impressive, he is not just a pretty face and chiselled body, he has the acting to go with it. He gives the character so much depth and meaning beyond playboy archer. So I like both green arrows now.

Unfortunately his lady love Katie playing Dinah is the exact opposite, she hasn’t convince me she is the right person for the job. I still prefer the Smallville Dinah by a mile. I did not like Ruby either in SPN but at least she was not miscast in that role, the other actor Genevieve (Jared’s wife )was the miscast. In Arrow, Katie is terribly miscast as Dinah, she is the exact opposite of who Dinah is supposed to be. But they are actors, they are supposed to convince you they are the character right? yes, no Katie fails to do that, instead Dinah comes of as a bratty and snotty teen instead of a mature, grounded woman.

On the news of Colton as Roy I look forward to the character on the show. I hope the actor can pull it off, as I have seen him in Teen Wolf and he was good there.

• Alan says:

katie cassidy is the weak link of the show. and thats coming from someone who loved her on supernatural. as to stephen amell, if i had only seen tha pilot i would have agreed but he has gotten significantly better to the point that he can hold his own with moira kirkland who is by far and away the best thing about the show (sometimes questionable writing for her character aside)

11. Rory says:

People should chill the fcuk out about this kind of thing. Obviously they’re trying to broaden the viewers and some of us actually like him. And you who threaten to stop watching just because ONE cast need to grow up and leave. He’ll probably just be in 2 or 3 eps tops.

12. Varun says:

For some reason I don’t really care. I was never big fan of Roy in the comics. Too much stunt casting for my liking. Every week we hear new exciting casting. How about focusing on the characters they have already. The writing for Tommy, Laurel, Diggle, and Thea are awful. I guess Thea reduce to being Roy’s boyfriend.

• Alan says:

the guest characters are used to advance the progression of the main characters just like on any tv show. and how can you say diggle has had awful writing, he has been a stand out in the early episodes

13. Riana says:

NO! Thea is supposed to be Speedy. This character is completely unnecessary…unless they decide to leave him as her boyfriend and let her be the sidekick.

• sammy says:

He could be Red Arrow or Arsenal. He doesnt have to be Speedy. Also if they made it easy for us to know who Speedy was it would ruin it. Now we have to figure out who is actually gonna be Speedy. The same way we know have to figure out who is gonna be the villain Merlyn. Tommy or his father Malcolm.

• Jay says:

First off, it’s too early to introduce Harper. Secondly, both Merlyns are gonna be the bad guy! Malcolm will die and Tommy will take his place.

• Russ says:

I want Thea to be Speedy too, that boosts her character from bothersome little sister to bad ass side kick.

• rocco says:

Maybe she is not supposed to be anything but an annoyin little sister who gets shipped of to boarding school, this little sister thing was a mistake to begin with. Green Arrow is an only child.

14. Nick says:

Ok, glad they are adding Roy Harper to the Arrow cast. that said I don’t know a damn thing about the actor, and frankly, I don’t care.

What I do care about is the character Roy Harper depending on which variant they choose for him, Will he be Speedy, Red Arrow, Arsenal or not hero material at all? By linking him with the younger Queen, they sow the seeds for what could eventually sour his partnership with Oliver. which i suppose is better than a heroin addiction. that said they might not even make him friends with Oliver, which in my opinion would be a misstep.

Regardless I feel like listing the four things that they absolutely must include about Roy.
    – Strong Ties to the Navajo
    – Natural Archery Skill
    – Substance abuse issues (Hopefully just alcohol)
    – Joker personality (not homicidal DC Villain but rather avid user of humor in mildly inappropriate situations)

• Nick says:

Not that the exclusion of any of the items on my list would stop me from watching mind you. Just rather an DC comics fan hoping that they don’t cheapskate us. by name dropping and making the character a useless bit player with no depth.

• rocco says:

Watch Teen Wolf, Colton nails his character perfectly, Jackson Whitmore isnt meant to loveable but Colton does so well and make people like the guy or sympathise with him. He is perfect for this role. He wont disappoint

• John says:

Lets face the truth. Lydia is the one who made his character somewhat tolerable. If not for her, his character would be the laughing stock for everyone. Guy can’t act. Sorry.

• rocco says:

Lydia she is nothing more than any airhead and stiles object of lust. She never developed past that, unlike other characters on the show. Jackson Whitmore developed so much and became a fan favorite on his own accord, with Colton haynes partly responsible with his good acting.

Leave the kid alone he is doing well for himself, why do you care haters seriously. If you dont like him dont follow him to Arrow, and if you dont like his character or potrayal on Arrow, dont watch his scenes. Case closed.

• John says:

If you think Lydia is an “airhead” and didn’t add anything, you haven’t watched the show properly and that makes most of your points invalid. She’s one of the best things about the show.

15. JeffR says:

Hmmm…Not a fan of Colton and not impressed by his acting on either “The Gates” or “Teen Wolf” however:
    1) It’s Show BUSINESS. Colton seems to have developed a following and presumably has good management. Series don’t necessarily hire/retain the most talented actors. We’re not talking “Homeland.” Perhaps he appeals to the CW demographic? His management was probably calling the shots re: “Teen Wolf” contract negotiations. As I recall he was not initially signed as a series regular – if he hadn’t built up a fan base and/or the writers built up his character do you really think that the producers/network would have retained him? It’s business. I’ve heard tales from reputable Industry insiders of talented actors being written off of/let go from shows because it was discovered that they were gay (albeit closeted),or they were not deemed sexy enough, too ethnic or too old. It’s not a nice business. I’m amazed that Colton’s weathered repeated gay rumors on the blogs, the black face incidents, slams on gossip sites, etc.,and keeps getting work I assume that his management is excellent or he has a very powerful patron or both.
    2) The blackface costume is disgusting, stupid and inexcusable but based upon what I’ve read and heard about him it’s not surprising – I don’t think that he’s necessarily a genius or a nice person. The homophobic (He has a history of homophobic comments) and, IMO, misogynistic Tracy Morgan continues to work and has been all over the tube of late . The there’s Chris Brown, his victim Rihanna, et.al., – the list of actors/entertainers gainfully employed despite troubling behavior is sadly rather lengthy. I’m not excusing Colton’s behavior, merely commenting that he’s not the sole bad apple and that there are other individuals currently gracing the tube whose behavior is worse than Colton’s, IMO.. Best, JeffR

16. Triss says:

Finally, some more hot males in the cast besides Oliver. These two Archer boys are so going to set our screens on fire with their chiselled bodies.

17. A. says:

I have never seen or heard of Colton but there have been actors that I didnt like in certain roles but other roles I love them. Just because you dont like a certain individual in a role doesnt mean hes horrible as an actor all together. Keep in mind that actors are also taking directions from the directors. Im an actress and I know how some directors will tell me how to say certain lines and when i watch playback I cringe because I hate how they directed me to act in that scene. I understand people have reservations but if hes getting jobs then obviously people like his acting. I dont like the girl who play thea but i love her in other roles. So just suck it up and if you love the show as a whole just watch even if you dont like colton.

18. Jason says:

Colton Haynes is HOTTTT. What a major coup for Arrow. Amazing show!!

19. Jared says:

This kid has the classic CW heartthrob look and Arrow is a great series to be apart of. I’ll be watching!

20. Hope he isn’t in it long, he’s not a good actor.
    Only foot Arrow has stepped wrong thus far for me was having Tamoh Penikett turn up – seriously not a fan of his work as an actor, yet he showed in Dollhouse that he CAN do action, but the one thing he didn’t get in Arrow was a badass fight scene.
    Haynes is eye candy, he’s not good at all – but that doesn’t mean I’ll quit the show. I could manage Teen Wolf just fine. Maybe he’ll surprise folk & have discovered some unseen range over the summer.

• Alan says:

as someone who didnt know who tamoh penikett was this time last year and then having him pop up in 3 shows i watch (castle, continuum and arrow) ive been pleasantly surprised by his acting talent. look to castle, he made me hate the character as was intended; and to continuum, his role there was not an action role, it was all drama and he sold it very well; and on arrow he was very menacing, as was intended for the enforcer of a mob family

21. Ace says:

I’m conflicted. I love Teen Wolf, and I wish Colton would stick around on that show, since Jackson is a pretty important player in several of TW’s main story arcs. At the same time, I really like Arrow, and I’m interested to see how the show can use Colton, especially since it sounds like it might lead to more screen time for Thea, who is one of my favorite characters.

22. gary says:

He will be Arsenal since he cant be Speedy…And i like it better that way

23. Terry says:

I have never seen Teen Wolf(because I’m not a thirteen year old girl) So I don’t really care about most of these inane comments. All I know is the guy looks exactly like Red Arrow, so that’s good enough for me even if he is just passable as an actor.

24. Mo says:

My first thought on seeing this news: “This guy has the cheekbones & jawline to go a long way on The CW.” Seriously.

25. Kouba says:

Teen Wolf was my favorite show up until Arrow started so ill get over him leaving Teen Wolf for him joining the cast on Arrow.

26. Lexi says:

Stop acting like children. Everybody has different opinions. Personally, I love Colton and was sad to hear that he was leaving Teen Wolf, but was happy again to find out that he was joining Arrow! That is just my opinion. I don’t care what other people think of him, because I know how i think of him. It frustrates me though to read all these comments! Please stop! It’s pretty rediculous.

27. Elizabet says:

I love what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the excellent works guys I’ve added you guys to my own blogroll.