Ratings: Amazing Race Ties All-Time Finale Low -- Is It Time to Give the Globe-Trot a Rest?

Amazing Race Matches Series LowCBS’ The Amazing Race wrapped its 21st running with a total audience of 9.34 million viewers while scoring a 2.6 rating, down 21 percent year over year to match its all-time low for a finale (set back in May).

Though the Race drew Sunday’s largest non-football crowd, it shed viewers every half hour.

Leading out of that, The Mentalist (7.9 mil/1.6) was down 22 and 11 percent from its last fresh outing.

RELATED | Friday Ratings: Nikita and Fringe Steady, Dateline Tops Night

Fox’s The Simpsons was Sunday’s top-rated non-football program, holding steady at 3.4 while courting 7.5 million total viewers. In turn, Bob’s Burgers (4.6 mil/2.1) rose 15 percent, Family Guy (5.6 mil/2.8) dipped a tenth and American Dad (4.65 mil/2.2) ticked up a tenth.

RELATED | Homeland Recap: Did Carrie Get Her Man?

What were you tuned into this semi-quiet Sunday?

1. Lincoln says:

Amazing Race had a bad year… no good teams to root for… and the obnoxious “twinies” stuck around for the whole season..

• dan says:

Have to disagree! This one was of the best TAR seasons every and definitely the best of the last several cycles. Lots of teams to root for, great challenges, decent “villians” who seemed to know they were tv villians, and a surprise ending. The final two legs which made up the finale were extremely well put together by the producers. A great season!

• Jules says:

I disagree on the bad year because there were definitely teams I was rooting for. I really wanted to se Ryan and Abby win $2 mil and I was so happy that teh Beekman’s pulled it out in the end. But defnitely agree with you on the “obnoxious twinnies.” They were horrible and I’m so glad that they didn’t make it to the final.

• The Twinies sucked!! They were so annoying! wish they had gone early on.

• Kyle says:

Agree about the annoying Twinies. They got a little more tolerable… but only a little. Or maybe I just got used to hearing them yell “Twinie” over and over and over.

2. Morgen says:

“The Amazing Race” suffered this year from CBS’s post-football timeslot jumbles which wreaked havoc with DVRs and from going up against a strong season of “Once Upon A Time.” That said, they still were the ratings winners for the night, by your own reckoning.
    I only saw the premiere episode the season, and the finale, and felt like I didn’t really miss anything in between. The finale was a compelling episode, and I’m glad the Beekman Boys won.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, TAR drew the largest non-football audience, in total viewers. Both THE SIMPSONS and FAMILY GUY (and of course SNF) performed better in the 18-49 rating.

• jaredd says:

ITA on the football lead in. I LOVE TAR, and would still watch it regularly if it were in a more reliable timeslot. But I am tired of second guessing what time it will actually air because of football overages. It makes watching it too inconvenient to bother, especially since Once Upon A Time and Revenge have no football lead-in and therefore start reliably on time. For that reason I did not watch this season and may not return in the future (unless they cast Lisa Wechel and her little brother next season?)

3. Adam Bramble says:

This, Survivor and American Idol needa go!

4. Lola says:

“ABC’s Christmas With Holly telepic (7.7 mil/1.8) trailed all broadcasters in the demo from 8 to 9 pm, then edged out The Mentalist in its second hour.”

Ouch. I don’t think TAR is in any danger of not getting renewed, but The Mentalist? Yeah. Isn’t it DOWN from when it has the perennially low-rated *but loved!* Good Wife? That hurts.

Too bad. If they had kept it during the week – Tuesday maybe – it probably had another few seasons in it.

5. I stopped watching the race because of those annoying twins. They were brutal. SO happy they didn’t make it to the final three and SO happy the Fabulous Beekman Boys won.

• Larry says:

The twins were the main reason why I wasn’t enjoying the show as much as I usually do so I was very happy to see them not make it the final three as well.

6. Larry says:

I’m a fan of the show so the answer is NO, I liked all the final three teams and that isn’t always the case in most years. But I think the ratings is due to football being on against it then it is on the show. Anything LIVE and sports related usually takes the ratings so trying to pretend it is anything else is just ridiculous to me.

• elr says:

The problem is this finale shouldn’t be compared to last May because that cycle did not go up against football. What were the numbers compared to last fall’s season?

7. owen says:

Cannot see Amazing Race or Survivor ending soon. Rating wise TAR has been phenomenal steady this season and by far the best performing show on CBS between 8-10 pm on the sunday. Survivor is also still performing pretty well and beating/matching the X Factor most of time, and that is a show that gets a lot of attention on tvline. Do not see headlines here to rest the X factor (Although for Fox performing above average)

Money wise TAR/Survivor also a lot cheaper in production then a scripted show, so i guess/hope they will hang around for a while.

8. David P. Graf says:

Ever since Boston Rob and Amber lost a clear win on the Amazing Race when the plane was pulled back to the terminal to allow another couple to get on it, I lost my enjoyment of this show. After that, I could not trust that the show wasn’t being manipulated.

• Matt says:

Not to nitpick, but the exact same thing happened in Rob & Amber’s favor earlier that season. They were late and a flight was pulled back to wait for them. While I’m sure the show has its share of producer-related contrivances (ie the great equalizer in terms of flights and opening times that occurs every episode or two), I don’t think this was one of them.

I personally think TAR is just as good as ever, though I wish there were more actual clues like the early seasons, rather than “go here, do this” instructions. I enjoyed when they were given a random item or flag or note in a different language and etc. and had to figure out for themselves what to do. But TAR is still my favorite reality show on the air and I hope it stays on for many more seasons.

9. Overall, this was a really good season. Good challenges. Teamwork and teams you liked and didn’t like. I was disappointed the Beakman Brothers won but don’t see that there was any advantage. It makes you think about the Uturn – if the J’s hadn’t used it, the Beakman’s would have been eliminated and there probably would have been a whole different final three.

10. davej says:

I HATED the twins. I initially thought I would hate the Chippendales, but they actually grew on me. I was thrilled that the Beakmans won if only because the other 3 teams in the top 4 were such slackers who couldn’t do anything on thier own.

A few things that bother me about TAR:
    – why does everybody get offended if someone U-turns them? It’s actually a part of the race and yet people act as if it is illegal. Nobody got upset when the twins picked up the Rockers’ money at the travel agency and didn’t give it back to them. To me, that is far worse than U-turning someone.
    – I HAT, HATE, HATE that the show tries to create suspense by editing to make it look like there is always a sprint to the finish. The way you can tell is by seeing the start times at the beginning of the next episode and sometimes, teams that looked like it was close in time are not close at all. I would much prefer that we have a running clock on screen or just before each commercial break, have a real time clock and show split screens showing where each team is at that point – kind of like what they did on the show “24”.
    – Why do they always give more face time to people being jerks? I guess to draw ratings, but hey – it’s not working anymore. Show me what is really going on with all the teams instead of glorifying the jerks.

11. Alex says:

No, it’s not time to give the show a rest. It performs well for the CBS Sunday slate and is likely a relatively low-cost programming choice, so why should they take it off the air? Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

Now, what really is broken is the poor combination of The Good Wife and The Mentalist, which are doing badly in the demo week after week. The Good Wife seems unlikely to pick up much traction at this point and doesn’t seem to be much desired in syndication, as no deal is yet in place. Producing another season of a low-rated series with poor or maybe mediocre syndication prospects might not happen. This one could be gone at season’s end.

Possibly The Mentalist, which was doing somewhat better on Thursdays than on Sundays, could get moved. OTOH, CBS doesn’t own the show, so the interest level in keeping it alive when it’s not a hit is lower. The Mentalist and The Good Wife should both go before The Amazing Race does, though!

12. Kim R says:

I watched every season of TAR except this one. For some reason, I just couldn’t do it. I guess I’ve moved on. :)

• Jenny says:

I didn’t watch this season of the amazing race. No like able teams.. Annoying twins… Just couldn’t watch it. And where was I Sunday night? Over on Showtime watching amazing episodes of homeland and dexter.

13. Sarah says:

Too bad about “The Mentalist”. But it’s a great series, it’ll rebound after the holidays. I deliberated on waiting till today to watch, even though I love the show, because it seemed from commercials like a light, funny episode that could wait till the morning to be viewed and I was very tired. I did end up watching it and enjoyed it, what I got out of it. I bought it on iTunes today so I could re-watch when I was less sleepy.
    Overall, I’m very happy with Michael Weiss as a new writer for the show: the case was interesting, there were funny moments and a few mildly touching ones, I liked how they tied up Cho’s relationship with Summer a lot, Jane was in great form last night, Jane & Lisbon were highly enjoyable too (when are they not though?) as well as Rigsby getting high, glad they’re still able to have Van Pelt in the show as far along as she is, and Lisbon was lovely, tough and funny last night. The last scene of the night was one of my all-time favorites. Reminds me of that great one at the end of ‘Ball of Fire’.

14. leah says:

Great news! I’m so sick of “reality” tv

15. ben says:

Matt! What are you thinking! It’s not time to cancel Amazing Race. Gosh, you are advocating the cancellation of a rating 2.6 show that can be produced ont he cheap – if you cancelled that, what would it mean for great scripted shows who pull far less?

Amazing Race and Survivor are both doing just fine, and need to hang around for a while yet.

16. Pam says:

I gave up on the Fall/Winter season of TAR years ago. I just get too frustrated when the episodes get chopped off. And a few eventually do, even if I make sure to set my DVR an hour or more longer for the episode.

17. em says:

No not cancelled but it does need a more secure time-slot, CBS Sunday sports programing almost always pushes the shows start time past what is schedules. I know we should be use to it but its been worse the normal this year.

18. Mainegirl says:

This was my favorite race of all. Yup, agree that the “twinny” team was horribly annoying, but I prefer that to teams that fight and degrade each other through the whole thing. Great finale too!

19. KC says:

The twinny thing was beyond annoying. I’ve rather enjoyed there being so many teams that consist of decent people, but I guess that doesn’t make for “good tv”, or should I say good ratings. There wasn’t as much in the way of put downs upon their own partners and only mildly against other teams.
    This is the only reality show that I watch, that my entire family watches.