Exclusive: Dallas Sets Date For J.R.'s Funeral

Get More: News

larryhagman_300Dallas has set a date for what is bound to be the the biggest TV swan song of 2013 — the funeral of J.R. Ewing.

Three weeks after TV legend Larry Hagman‘s death from cancer complications, TVLine has learned that Dallas will lay his alter ego — an icon to multiple generations of viewers — to rest in the upcoming second season’s eighth episode, slated to air on March 11 on TNT.

RELATED | Patrick Duffy’s Heartfelt Tribute to Larry Hagman

Hagman completed filming a number of Season 2 episodes prior to his sudden passing. Although production was not significantly impacted, producers quickly began crafting a proper sendoff — one that is rumored to feature a number of returning Dallas vets (including several that have not yet been seen on the TNT version.)

Dallas‘ sophomore season is set to premiere on Jan. 28.

Comments (56)

• I hope they bring back lots of the original cast for that episode

Comment by L – December 10, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Steve Kannaly as half brother Ray Krebbs
      Priscilla Presley as Jenna Krebbs, and their children (oldest son is Bobby’s kid)
      Sasha Mitchell as JR’s oldest son James Beaumont
      Anyone to play the son he had with Callie Harper.
      Hopefully they can fit in Omri Katz who played the original John Ross.
      They had already planned for Gary and Valene to come back, so hopefully Ted Shackleford and Joan Van Ark can arrange their schedules for that taping.

Comment by Kvivik – December 11, 2012 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with all of you guys. It should be one of the highest rated episodes of all time (alt least the top 20. When you look at Larry Hagman, you don’t see him, you see JR.

Comment by Lawrence Gwyn – February 9, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how they are going to do this. It would be nice if it was 2 hours with highlights going back to the original and lots of guest stars.

Comment by Mark – December 10, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say get Alexis Carrington to show up as a mystery woman from his past, then join the show as the new villain.

Comment by Anne – December 10, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d rather see Joanna Lumley play a penniless Baroness he’d married in London. She’d come to Dallas and challenge his will.

Comment by TMW – December 10, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would be Absolutely Fabulous!

Comment by LAncelot – December 12, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based on season one, I completely trust this team to do JR proud…and to make us happy.

Comment by TV Gord – December 10, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Dallas creators,

Yes, it’s totally ok for his death to be from a gunshot, and the first step of a major television event. It will not be blasphemy. It will be awesome, and exactly what a legendary character like this deserves.

Comment by John – December 10, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t want that. What about J.R. having died peacefully after sex with Sue Ellen one last time?

Comment by Mark – December 10, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A proper send-off for the JR Ewing character is find him floating face down in the Southfork swimming pool, leading to the murder mystery of Who killed JR?

Comment by PD – December 10, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! That or allowing the episode to make us believe it was a natural passing until the final minutes, when it it revealed that there was poison in his system or something.

Comment by John – December 11, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This should be huge in terms of viewership. And well deserved. I’ll be watching.

Comment by Shannon – December 10, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So essentially we’re getting tons of people for JR’s funeral? So will Victoria Principal be one of them? Yeah, I am probably stating a total pipe dream, but oh well, why not?

Comment by bjwanlund – December 10, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if DALLAS will try to get Barbara Eden to make a cameo. Yes, J.R.’s relationship with Leann lead to Ewing Oil’s demise, but I would still like to see Barbara honor Larry even if she plays another character.

Comment by Annie – December 10, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, I so vote for Barbara Eden to make an appearance. Did she cameo on the original series? J.R. oh how you MADE the TV villain! Long rest in peace you great bad guy! Best to you Larry!

Comment by David – December 11, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was on for a whole Season Leanne Delavargo I believe She took over Ewing Oil

Comment by Dan – February 4, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’ll go ahead & say it
    no need for a nomination process
    just go ahead & give Patrick, Linda & Dallas all the TV awards for actor actress & drama
    especially Patrick because when bobby finds out about JR being dead it’s gonna be epic
    just let bobby excuse himself into another room & let it fly

Comment by Michael Lee Kirk – December 10, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s going to be tricky for the character of Cliff. Will he be allowed to celebrate JR’s passing, which is something he’s wanted for over 30 years?

Comment by Michael Sacal – December 10, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think even ‘ole cliff might shed a tear for J.R.
      i mean as much as they hated each other i’m sure they also had respect
      like JR said to bobby in the hospital. who’s cliff gonna fight with now??

Comment by Michael Lee Kirk – December 10, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will be a very sad episode.

Comment by Chloe – December 10, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree very sad

Comment by Carole – December 11, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never watched Dallas w/any regularity, however, I am somewhat famiiar with characters and story lines. I believe it would be befitting Larry Hagmans status as an actor to gather as many of his former co-stars as possible to appear in the funeral episode.

Comment by Isabelle Frankenfield – December 11, 2012 04:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad, here’s hoping they get as many characters from the past as the can. I really hope Abby manages to come, DM was so great.

Comment by Gerald – December 11, 2012 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe JR is gone, I am sure ole Cliff Barnes is gonna look to see if it’s fake. Alas Cliff it’s not….Dallas won’t be the same but I know the new Generation is going to be spectacular ! Ps. Happy Birthday Mary Martin..

Comment by Jenny Sue May – December 11, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will be weird watching a death in Dallas and knowing that they won’t be suddenly back from the dead this time round and that it’s sticking!

Comment by Callie Tallen – December 11, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is really no point to continuing the series. Hagman was and is Dallas. The cast isn’t strong enough to carry the show without him.

Comment by Matt – December 11, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt have you even watched the reboot? Hagman’s role was minimal. He was only in 10 mins. of each episode. The cast CARRIES this show, every week, and will continue to do so without the 10 minute guest appearances from Hagman.

Comment by Lisa Johnson (@Lisa_JDC) – December 11, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like this reboot of ‘Dallas’ but I can see Matt’s point of view. Larry Hagman’s JR was always the most memorable person in the show, he gave it life and purpose, ever since the days that Bobby and Pam were its main romance. He’s the father to John-Ross, brother to Bobby, and ex-husband to Sue-Ellen.

I question how they can continue a show without the character (and actor) who had such an impact on the others. He was the show’s main driving point. He brought the conflict and the humor. It’s going to be strange without him.

Comment by Sarah – December 11, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What do you people not know what “reboot” means? This show is a CONTINUATION of Dallas, not a reboot. A reboot is going back to the beginning and starting over, not picking up the story from where the original Dallas left off!

Comment by Alex – December 11, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agree the show is about the youngest ewings

Comment by kellie fogg – December 12, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, NOT ~ this show will truly miss JR but I do believe it can go on and is exactly what Larry Hagman would want. He loved this show and would not want his passing to end it. You however, can stop watching!

Comment by Vi – December 11, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree

Comment by Carole – December 11, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oh bull puck

yes they are and you know they will bring back JR from time to time like they did Jock. I hope they do a whopping good painting of JR to hang next to Jocks at Ewing energies.

Comment by dallas lover since day one back in 1978 – March 12, 2013 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the Original Dallas from the first show to the last, And have had my Daughter tape EVERY episode of the first season of it this time and have already reguested her to Tape [And I meah VHS -not just dvr] I truly intend to watch these episodes all and probably multiple X. It is true that Larry Hagman was the heart of Dallas [Along with Miss Ellie and Jock] and a few others who are gone. But like REAL life; we must go on, even when some of our most beloved are gone. that is how it was planned by the Lord! I miss both my parents and all my siblings (4 out of 10) who have passed on; but I would not ask for any of them to be back in the condition which they were in at death. Death is a part of life and in my opinion that goes with the TV shows we watch as well as having to change News anchor favorites, when one passes on. If we can’t accept this in a TV show; how will we cope in real life?

Comment by Anne A – December 11, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really question how much longer the show is going to last without him. He was such an iconic presence that his death has left a huge void, and he still had an important role in the show – look at his dynamics with John-Ross and Bobby. The Duffy and Hagman brother scenes have always been a huge reason for the widespread success of ‘Dallas’. A main reason why John-Ross seems intimidating and powerful is because of his father’s influence.

The new cast are great, I think Jesse and Josh are excellent as the sons, but I still haven’t warmed to Brenda Strong as Bobby’s new wife. Victoria Principal as Pam is irreplaceable as Patrick Duffy’s on-screen love interest.

Comment by Sarah – December 11, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Gary & Valene…

Comment by Allison – December 11, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gary & Val will be on DALLAS this upcoming season.

Comment by Annie – December 11, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d rather see all of those actors get together for a 2-3 hour long Larry Hagman retrospective. Let’s hear all those funny stories about LH. Tell us about the early Dallas days, etc..

Then show us JR’s funeral.

Comment by zakspeak – December 11, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hoping we see Gary and Valene return for JR’s funeral. It would make perfect sense to me. They should also get Barbara Eden to make a cameo.

Comment by mattyc – December 11, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m extremely pleased to find this web site. I wanted to thank you for your time for this fantastic read!! I definitely appreciated every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to look at new things on your site.

Comment by Ingrid – December 11, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Victoria Principal’s return would greatly help the show going forward adding her and/or the character of Pam as a regular. Also having Barbara Eden’s character return for JR’s funeral is an awesome idea!!

Comment by Scott – December 11, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love for “Dallas” to bring back Pamela Ewing, Jenna Wade, Afton Cooper, and that evil Katherine Wentworth. I would love to see Katherine and Pamela get into a huge fist fight. Pamela never really kicked Katherine’s ass for breaking up her and Bobby’s marriage. She owes her a good ass kicking.

Even though Rebecca Wentworth died from injuries she received when her plane crashed, I would love for a long lost sister of Rebecca’s to come forth and try to get a piece of the Wentworth fortune. That long lost sister could be Donna Mills “Abby Sumner from “Knots Landing”. Dallas is bringing back Val and Gary. That would be a shock for those two.
    Abby was actually part of the powerful Wentworth clan and the aunt of Pamela Ewing.

I would also love for a mysterious female to come to J.R. Ewing’s funeral, dressed in a wide black hat with a veil. No one knew who she was.Later on, a lawyer would bring everyone together for the reading of J.R.’s will and this mysterious female would show up again. After the will is read, another lawyer would come up and challenge that will. Why? Because another sibling had come forth to challenge the will. Who is that sibling? Jock Ewing’s long lost daughter. (The mysterious female who attended J.R.’s funeral.) The actress to play Jock’s long lost daughter would be Joan Collins, thus introducing another villian to take Larry Hagman’s place.

Comment by james – December 12, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Put the remote control down and back away from the TV…

Comment by Eric – December 12, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Katherine Wentworth died. Would be kind of hard to resurrect her.

Comment by sunnee – March 5, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wasn’t Katherine’s death part of Pam’s dream? Don’t remember if she died later on.

Comment by Patsy – March 5, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No it’s an awesome idea!! Joan Collins would rock!

Comment by Scott – December 12, 2012 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad i hope they give him a good send off

Comment by ANN – December 28, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • in the episode someone will have murdered him which will create the heights of a new big mystery. also they should reveal through his will that john ross’s father is really cliff barnes. if you think about it, it it is a great bookend to what dallas was originally all about. of course if that does not go over well then you could always say that it was just ciiff screwing around with jr’s will. also lucas krebbs should return and be introduced and father a child christopher raises, and that would make that son be a real ewing and a real southworth…maybe lucas has an affair with elena after she married christopher, any thoughts…

Comment by kris pelley – December 28, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to bring back Pam Barnes, Ewing, it has been enough time and she had enough money to get her face repaired and, now that Bobby’s “strange wife” is in jail for murder, this would be perfect!!!

Comment by Jim Palm Springs, CA – February 23, 2013 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am just going to ball my eyes out over J.R.’s death episode. I watched the original Dallas series and now the new one. Larry Hagman was an icon. He could play good/evil characters so well and that is great talent. He will be so missed. No one can replace J.R. It’s going to be the saddest episode of Dallas/television ever. R.I.P. Larry Hagman!

Comment by Jennifer L. – February 26, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a fact no one can replace j r ewing,but I think rutger hauer can play a very nasty and ruthless character.

Comment by neil – March 7, 2013 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I think it is selfish that VP is doing this. As much as I would like to see Pam and Bobby back together Ann Ewing is growing on me. If VP does not want to come back I think a good scenario would be that she comes back for a few episodes. It is discovered JR did have something to do with her disappearance. When it is discovered what was behind the disappearance Bobby and Christopher finally have closure and they move on and attend Pam’s funeral along with Ann. Pam tells Ann on her deathbed to please continue to look after Bobby and Christopher and Christopher’s twins. Finally she disowns Cliff as her brother and forces Chris’s fraudulent wife’s hand and makes her hand over those babies to Christopher and Elena

Comment by christine – March 7, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi guys.
    I love Dallas from the beginning till now and it’s my opinion that despite some great characters and some excellent acting performances old and new I’m afraid the passing of JR will be the beginning of the end for the series.
    Larry Hagman was Dallas. R.I.P.

Comment by Gary – March 13, 2013 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has anybody been watching Dallas repeats on CBS drama fantastic stuff so nice to catch up

Comment by Catharine Morgan – September 25, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The first day I was there, I purchuased a top-up cell
    phone so that I could call realtors and property owners.

Cash, aas in many places, definitely speaks loud whhen you want a great deal.

Here are thee top tenn ways to quit smoking completely.

Comment by visitez maintenant mon site – April 16, 2014 03:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post