Mindy Project Scoop: Meet Mindy's New BFF!

Get More: Casting News

maggieThe Mindy Project‘s midseason revamp continues.

Fox’s rookie comedy has tapped Upright Citizens Brigade vet Mary Grill to join the cast in a recurring role, TVLine has learned.

Grill will play Maggie, Mindy’s tomboyish, confident, party girl friend from college who is often assumed to be a lesbian (when in reality she slays guys left and right). Maggie and Mindy reconnect when the former moves into the latter’s apartment building.

RELATED | Mindy Kaling’s Former Office Mate B.J. Novak to Guest on The Mindy Project

Grill’s hiring comes as The Mindy Project undergoes a slight Season 1 course correction that has led to the departures of supporting players Amanda Setton and Stephen Tobolowsky and a series regular-to-recurring downgrade for Kaling’s current onscreen BFF, the underused Anna Camp.

Comments (32)

• This show has too many characters. I thought the whole point of the recent changes was to fix that. Why get rid of the old people only to bring in yet another new person? It makes no sense.

Comment by M – December 7, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re getting rid of 3 characters… and adding 1…

Comment by Teag – December 7, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …so far

Comment by ashamed of owning a TV – December 7, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rats typically jump from a sinking ship. Not board it.

This show can add anyone they want to surround Mindy but it won’t fix the problem – what’s in the center (a.k.a. Mindy).

Comment by Luke Nutley – December 7, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox still hasn’t canceled this show? What are they waiting for? Christmas?

Comment by John – December 7, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like The Mindy Project is gonna be a totally different series when it returns. Not sure how I’m feeling about this show anyways.

Comment by Jared – December 7, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the show might improve with Mindy having a friend to party with instead of just talking on the phone for 2 seconds every episode. They should have made Anna Camp’s character single so she and Mindy could go out more

Comment by tvaddict – December 7, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just cancel this unfunny mess of a show already!

Comment by SJ – December 7, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only Mindy Kaling would dial down the little girl voice, she might retain the older demographic. She’s impossible to understand.

Comment by sadface – December 7, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love getting new BFFs!

Comment by Jeff – December 7, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cool. Be awesome if she was bisexual though. Love the show. Mindy is hilarious

Comment by mia – December 7, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. I don’t understand all the hate. It is well written and acted. I am happy it’s on air!!

Comment by Laura – December 7, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s because you’re paid to think so, Laura.

Comment by NotQuiteRight – December 8, 2012 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just keep Tommy Dewey. Josh is the best part of this show.

Comment by B – December 7, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this show. I think the new casting changes will help it find it’s footing.

Comment by Babybop – December 7, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn what is with all the hate? Mindy Kaling is amazing and I’m shocked so many people can’t see that. She’s smart, funny and pretty! I for one love the show and I do find it funny. Mindy and I have the same sense of humor so those who find the show unfunny obviously don’t and that’s fine.

Comment by Lauren Rife – December 7, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have the same sense of humor? You must be a boring egoist like mindy.

Comment by Mandy sucks – January 10, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show!

Comment by Sean – December 8, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m obv not watching the same show as the commenters here… I love the show and hope it stays!! She’s hilarious and lovable …

Comment by Karen B. – December 9, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Mindy’s hilarious, and I really enjoy this show, but I guess can see how it would not be very appealing to men or older adults. It’s definitely aimed at 20-30 something year old women. hoping these cast changes help the show find it’s footing and make it more accesable to a broader audience..

Comment by alda – December 9, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope just not appealing to anyone with a brain that doesn’t like this cheesy crap

Comment by Mandy sucks – January 10, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We love the show. Not sure where all this hate is coming from. So much for civilized conversation. #suckitnerds

Comment by Stephen & Ken – December 10, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loveeeeeeee this show, mos def funny…..but why an all white cast with an Indian lead….love it otherwise

Comment by Sara – December 27, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What is wrong with an Indian person being onscreen with white characters?

Comment by Cindy D – June 3, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show! Mindy and New Girl are the first two shows I hit up on Hulu every week.

Comment by Fred – January 10, 2013 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve tried many times to get through the show, but i just can’t. I was thinking it may grow on me like Ben and Kate has. I guess I need a show with a lead character that is at least somewhat likeable. I find myself wanting bad things to happen to her.

Comment by Tom A. – January 28, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get how people think she’s egotistical. She’s very much aware she’s not “perfect”: always making fun of her weight and childlike obsession with life being like a romantic comedy. I can totally relate. She knows her shortcomings but she’s still confident being in her own skin. Love it, love the show!

Comment by amirah aji – February 6, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is really fascinating, You are an excessively skilled blogger.
    I’ve joined your feed and sit up for looking for more of your wonderful post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks

Comment by business cash advance – July 19, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t agree more. This show is a train wreck and Mindy Kaling is not attractive in the least sense of the word. I find it interesting, as many others have noted, that she surrounds herself in the show with all white actors. It’s just weird that an Indian girl would have nothing but white friends and coworkers.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – December 7, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I completely agree, the show is completely unfunny and Mandy clearly has an inflated ego and isn’t as funny as she thinks she is. unless her idea of funny is completely random “observations”, characters that have unfocused motivation and out of this world and completely cartoon like unrealistic character behavior. The only way this show could have worked would be to surround her with funny cast mates, not a bunch of generic looking models that aren’t funny. I think the producers are overcompensating for her unattractiveness by casting all these boring good looking people who you don’t buy doing such outlandish things (and they’re supposed to be doctors?). This project was a disaster, pull the plug.

Comment by Mandy sucks – January 10, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boom racist

Comment by B – December 7, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …it’s honestly not THAT weird. And I’m saying this as an Indian girl.

Comment by Priyanka – December 7, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post