Mindy Project Scoop: Meet Mindy's New BFF!

maggieThe Mindy Project‘s midseason revamp continues.

Fox’s rookie comedy has tapped Upright Citizens Brigade vet Mary Grill to join the cast in a recurring role, TVLine has learned.

Grill will play Maggie, Mindy’s tomboyish, confident, party girl friend from college who is often assumed to be a lesbian (when in reality she slays guys left and right). Maggie and Mindy reconnect when the former moves into the latter’s apartment building.

RELATED | Mindy Kaling’s Former Office Mate B.J. Novak to Guest on The Mindy Project

Grill’s hiring comes as The Mindy Project undergoes a slight Season 1 course correction that has led to the departures of supporting players Amanda Setton and Stephen Tobolowsky and a series regular-to-recurring downgrade for Kaling’s current onscreen BFF, the underused Anna Camp.

1. M says:

This show has too many characters. I thought the whole point of the recent changes was to fix that. Why get rid of the old people only to bring in yet another new person? It makes no sense.

2. Luke Nutley says:

Rats typically jump from a sinking ship. Not board it.

This show can add anyone they want to surround Mindy but it won’t fix the problem – what’s in the center (a.k.a. Mindy).

3. John says:

Fox still hasn’t canceled this show? What are they waiting for? Christmas?

4. Jared says:

Sounds like The Mindy Project is gonna be a totally different series when it returns. Not sure how I’m feeling about this show anyways.

5. tvaddict says:

I think the show might improve with Mindy having a friend to party with instead of just talking on the phone for 2 seconds every episode. They should have made Anna Camp’s character single so she and Mindy could go out more

6. SJ says:

Just cancel this unfunny mess of a show already!

7. sadface says:

If only Mindy Kaling would dial down the little girl voice, she might retain the older demographic. She’s impossible to understand.

8. Jeff says:

I love getting new BFFs!

9. mia says:

cool. Be awesome if she was bisexual though. Love the show. Mindy is hilarious

10. Laura says:

I love this show. I don’t understand all the hate. It is well written and acted. I am happy it’s on air!!

11. B says:

Just keep Tommy Dewey. Josh is the best part of this show.

12. Babybop says:

I like this show. I think the new casting changes will help it find it’s footing.

13. Lauren Rife says:

Damn what is with all the hate? Mindy Kaling is amazing and I’m shocked so many people can’t see that. She’s smart, funny and pretty! I for one love the show and I do find it funny. Mindy and I have the same sense of humor so those who find the show unfunny obviously don’t and that’s fine.

14. Sean says:

Love this show!

15. Karen B. says:

I’m obv not watching the same show as the commenters here… I love the show and hope it stays!! She’s hilarious and lovable …

16. alda says:

I think Mindy’s hilarious, and I really enjoy this show, but I guess can see how it would not be very appealing to men or older adults. It’s definitely aimed at 20-30 something year old women. hoping these cast changes help the show find it’s footing and make it more accesable to a broader audience..

17. Stephen & Ken says:

We love the show. Not sure where all this hate is coming from. So much for civilized conversation. #suckitnerds

18. Sara says:

I loveeeeeeee this show, mos def funny…..but why an all white cast with an Indian lead….love it otherwise

19. Fred says:

Love this show! Mindy and New Girl are the first two shows I hit up on Hulu every week.

20. Tom A. says:

I’ve tried many times to get through the show, but i just can’t. I was thinking it may grow on me like Ben and Kate has. I guess I need a show with a lead character that is at least somewhat likeable. I find myself wanting bad things to happen to her.

21. amirah aji says:

I don’t get how people think she’s egotistical. She’s very much aware she’s not “perfect”: always making fun of her weight and childlike obsession with life being like a romantic comedy. I can totally relate. She knows her shortcomings but she’s still confident being in her own skin. Love it, love the show!

22. That is really fascinating, You are an excessively skilled blogger.
    I’ve joined your feed and sit up for looking for more of your wonderful post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks

23. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Couldn’t agree more. This show is a train wreck and Mindy Kaling is not attractive in the least sense of the word. I find it interesting, as many others have noted, that she surrounds herself in the show with all white actors. It’s just weird that an Indian girl would have nothing but white friends and coworkers.

24. Mandy sucks says:

I completely agree, the show is completely unfunny and Mandy clearly has an inflated ego and isn’t as funny as she thinks she is. unless her idea of funny is completely random “observations”, characters that have unfocused motivation and out of this world and completely cartoon like unrealistic character behavior. The only way this show could have worked would be to surround her with funny cast mates, not a bunch of generic looking models that aren’t funny. I think the producers are overcompensating for her unattractiveness by casting all these boring good looking people who you don’t buy doing such outlandish things (and they’re supposed to be doctors?). This project was a disaster, pull the plug.

25. B says:

Boom racist

26. Priyanka says:

…it’s honestly not THAT weird. And I’m saying this as an Indian girl.