Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Supernatural, Once Upon a Time, Arrow, Liars, Homeland and More

The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons TattooWhy is Supernatural role-playing around? Will Once Upon a Time‘s nogoodnik captain find a friend in Maine? What has the Liars acting extra-paranoid? And why is Seth Gabel so “high” on Arrow? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

RELATED | Supernatural Casts Friday Night Lights Actor as the Winchesters’ [Spoiler]!

Supernatural | As previously reported, geek goddess Felicia Day will reprise her role of Charlie in an episode titled “LARP and the Real Girl.” Um, can someone explain…? “That is our live-action role-playing episode,” show boss Jeremy Carver shares. “We will discover that young Charlie Bradbury, in running from her past life, has found herself a new life in a new community. Basically, [she] has fallen into the welcoming arms of a community of LARPers.” Watch for Day’s return to air in mid-January.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Scoop: 24‘s Gregory Itzin Cast as Frankenstein’s [Spoiler]

Once Upon a Time | You may think that once he drops anchor in Storybrooke, Hook might not have any friends in town. But think again. Remember, the henchman Belle’s florist father hired was no less than Smee (played by Eureka‘s Christopher Gauthier), who is due to return after the holiday hiatus. “Smee will definitely play a part in Hook’s plans,” Colin O’Donoghue assured me. Speaking of the sidekick’s previous target, could Belle land in Hook’s hooks, as a way of getting back at his mortal foe Rumplestiltskin? “Belle is such a huge part of Rumple’s life…,” O’Donoghue agreed. “She might figure into the equation.”

Homeland | To the surprise of some, Jessica recently “reconnected” (so to speak) with old flame Mike, and seems to have no regrets about it. “I think she is allowing herself to go there, not knowing what is going to happen – and that is OK,” Morena Baccarin told us of her character’s mindset. “She’s been depleted for so long in her relationship with Brody that she is just finally getting something for herself.” Though that something may seem newly messy now, with Brody appropriately suspicious of the rekindled affair, Baccarin promises that by the season finale airing Dec. 16, “There will be resolution” one way or another.

RELATED | Ratings: Homeland Hits Series High, Builds on Dexter for First Time Ever

Pretty Little Liars | We checked out the season opener airing Jan. 8, and paranoia is all the rage as Emily’s dad installs a home security system (can you blame him after all that’s happened?) and Mona returns to school but not before paying a nighttime visit to one of the girls. Meanwhile, Aria’s trying really hard to defend her dad against her friends’ suspicions, but a disturbing confrontation may force her to look at him in a new light. And if you, like the foursome, think you know who Aria stabbed during Halloween, prepare for a big twist! Lastly, two words: Cow brains.

RELATED | Arrow‘s Stephen Amell on the ‘Nefarious’ Malcolm Merlyn, Meeting the Real Deathstroke

Arrow | While working the red carpet at Fringe‘s 100th Episode party, I had the chance to ask Lincoln Lee Seth Gabel about his upcoming run of villainy on Arrow. As the CW hit’s incarnation of the DC baddie Vertigo, he’s playing The Count, a “street thug drug kingpin” whose No. 1 product is dubbed Vertigo. If taken orally, the drug makes the user feel as if “walking on air,” Gabel shared. But if injected… that’s when bad things happen – drawing the interest of one hooded vigilante. “It’s the most fun I’ve ever had,” said Gabel, who described his alter ego’s look as “very street,in a flamboyant, theatrical, grounded way,” with spiky hair, fingerless gloves and “a lot of black.” Does Oliver have his work cut out for him? Sure sounds like it. “I basically rule the street, so he’s got a long way to go up the chain to get to me,” Gabel warns.

Closing with a few reader questions….

Matt, why is CSI: NY ending their season so soon? I LOVE this show! Does this mean there will not be another season? –Grace
Actually, it was always the plan for CSI: NY Season 9 to have a shorter run, of 17 episodes — and the season-ender set for Feb. 22 is Episode 17. As for renewal talk, we’re months away from that.

Do you have any scoop on USA’s underrated gem, Suits? –Holly
We recently bumped into the omnipresent, always-working Rachael Harris, and she teased her upcoming encore as Harvard rep Sheila Sazs. “I have a bunch of fun stuff to do with Rick Hoffman,” who plays Louis Litt, she told us. “Let’s just say Rick needs a favor from Sheila!” (Suits returns Jan.17.)

I’ve been watching Revolution and find their crossbow interesting. I would like to know if it’s more than a prop, and is it available online. If so, where? –Walt
I asked around, Walt, and, alas, that bad boy is pretty much a custom job. “It was a crossbow purchased by the prop department for the pilot, then they had the original butt cut off to make it shorter. All the leather was added, and it was repainted as well,” a production rep tells me. Just as well, man – it’s all fun and games ’til someone loses an eye.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Meg Masters and Vlada Gelman)

Comments (63)

• I’m really looking forward to seeing Charlie again. She was one of the few bright spots of the 7th season. I’m also really looking forward to the return of CAS. The promo that aired last night has me both stressed and worried and I truly hope Jeremy Carver doesn’t hurt our Angel too much. It is so hard to be a Cas fan. I’ve loved every moment he has been on the screen this fall and hope we see lots more Cas in 2013.

Comment by Dilys – December 6, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s so hard to be a Cas fan? Are you serious? It seems so much hard to be a Sam&Dean (brothers) fan lately. If you say one bad word about Castiel, you get slammed by a lot of the Castiel fans. In my opinion, it’s harder to not be a Cas fan.

Comment by Linda – December 6, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well yes, because Cas has died numerous times and now, just when we get him back, it looks like he’s in some kind of terrible danger. And sadly we don’t get to have him on the episode every week so yes, it is hard to be a Casfan. And since I am not saying any bad words about anyone, I fail to see how the second part of your comment applies to me.

Comment by Dilys – December 7, 2012 02:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I share your pain and hopes.

Comment by erb – December 7, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So true….sigh…. SPN is about the brothers, angels are an unfortunate side effect. But I know, many fan love Cas. So I’ll shut up now.

Comment by Anna – December 7, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok Matt, we get it. You love OUAT. That doesn’t mean the rest of us want to constantly hear about it. Give some other shows a chance.

Comment by Uncle – December 6, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d rather hear about OUAT than the endless Glee news.

Comment by Mark – December 6, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m tired of that too.

Comment by Cam – December 6, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You can arrow to the list. They seem obesseed about that show. In fact I think Matt went out of his way to write how the ratings for the show adjusted up. I never seen do that before

Comment by Varun – December 9, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS!

Comment by Joey Pacey – December 7, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree, This site and eonline’s Watch with Kristin seem obsessed with Glee.

Comment by Abby – December 8, 2012 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For real though. I need some more scoop on Revenge. The wait till January 6th is a killer.

Comment by iMember – December 6, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. It seems like we hear about the same shows all the time.

Comment by Sam – December 6, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love hearing about Once Upon a Time.

Comment by Kelly – December 6, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Give me a break, they mention lots of different shows in this article. Just scan past a paragraph if it’s about a show that doesn’t apply to you. They put such nice headings in their paragraphs so that you can do exactly that. I only came here for Homeland and just looked for the Homeland header. It’s easy to do if you try it.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 6, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, except Matt and Michael continually give scoop on their own favorites and it gets boring if one doesn’t watch those shows. I’ve asked questions for other shows but those never get mentioned. The fact that they always add “and more” in the headline gets us hopeful fans to read the article, only to be left disappointed once again.

Comment by Uncle – December 6, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Pretty sure they give scoop based on A) the show they have info on, and B) the shows that drive more traffic to the site (i.e. shows popular with fans or shows with rabid fanbases).

Comment by Katherine215 – December 7, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe I’ve got it wrong, but don’t people go to the blogs they enjoy that deal with the same things they’re interested in? If this blog doesn’t do it for you, find one that does. This is one of my favorite sites and has better writers than the likes of EW and some other big ones.

Comment by Templar – December 7, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d rather them report on what they have, then nothing at all, I’m just happy Gossip Girl is ending so I don’t have to read through comment sections filled with GG fans. I love OUAT so I’m always happy to hear anything about it, but I can sympathize with you since thats how I feel about with Glee and other shows, especially, when they ask the same question over and over( Karofsky :/). Report on other shows too, Matt.

Comment by Mike – December 6, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i like the OUAT scoop.

Comment by Elyse – December 7, 2012 02:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought CSINY had 18 episodes…

Comment by Jayne Morgan (@jmorgue) – December 6, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I double-secret confirmed just minutes ago — 17. The total of 18 was never officially reported.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 6, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Hook will be around in season 3. If he’s not, I won’t be able to bring myself to watch the show anymore. I’m tired of a tv show dragging me, and my heart through the dirt.

Comment by Sarah – December 6, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Rumbelle scoop :)

Comment by Brenna – December 6, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want a Peter Pan scene between Captain Hook and Henry. Charming has been teaching him swordplay afterall.

Comment by Michael – December 6, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’d be odd if Henry portrayed Peter Pan though. In a land/Storybrook where people never aged and children never grew up, Henry was the only one who actually did.

Comment by Danielle – December 6, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not to mention that, given his age, OUAT would be a prequel to the Peter Pan story. No.

Comment by Templar – December 7, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He doesn’t have to be PP to have a sword fight…

Comment by snarka – December 10, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually dreading Charlies return to SPN…that character…just…urgh

Comment by mac – December 6, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel that way about every character Felicia Day portrays.

Comment by tp – December 6, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really don’t get the buzz….she is far from a good actress. And this ‘geeky stuff’ in season 7 was not really that ‘geeky’

Comment by mac – December 7, 2012 03:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you, I thought I was the only one who can’t stand her in anything!

Comment by Rain – December 7, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt can only write about what he has scoop on. Not what people want. At least not all the time.

Comment by shuayb – December 6, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While the Revolution crossbow prop may be fairly unique in the detailing, there are certainly similarly designed bows out there – just do a search for “reverse draw crossbow”.

That backwards arm configuration supposedly makes them quieter and more balanced, though that may just be marketing hype.

Comment by wordsmith – December 6, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All I know is that last Friday on the ARROW set, I saw Ollie’s bow up close and that thing is badass.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – December 6, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Y’all are forcing me to check out bows and crossbows. And now I want to shoot one. Since I’m a terrible shot with a pistol I can just imagine… What’s worse than terrible? Horrific? And it will be all Walt and Wordsmith and Matt’s fault.

Comment by Renee – December 6, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Mwahaha! And so my diabolical plan begins…
          Seriously, though, play safe out there kids – it’s all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.

Comment by wordsmith – December 6, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Does that mean I *shouldn’t* ask Santa for a crossbow just like the one Crystal Reed uses on Teen Wolf… or a Red Rider BB Gun?

Comment by Ace – December 7, 2012 11:37 AM PDT
  • Hook is not really interesting to me. He’s been a letdown but maybe Hook’s revenge plot and more Rumple/Belle could be interesting.

Comment by Kelly – December 6, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish Hook would magically sail into Pasadena, capture Amy Farrah Fowler [TBBT] and sail away forever, never to be seen again.

Comment by Templar – December 7, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She probably wouldn’t mind that so much, actually.

Comment by Ace – December 7, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t think Brody cares that much about Jessica’s feelings for Mike. In fact, I suspect he is a little relieved she has someone to move on with, because he is clearly in love with Carrie. That marriage is over. I loved in the last episode that smile on his face when he saw Carrie was calling him. Right in front of Jess too! Morena’s comments are making me incredibly nervous somebody is going to die in the finale, which is what will make it all resolved. If that is true, I just hope it’s Jess and not Brody. If they kill off Brody I am starting a riot.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 6, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see both PLL and OUaT Scoop.

I was originally thinking Lucas was the one to get the hand injury in the Halloween episode but this twist is making me lean towards… Jason, maybe?

And really hoping Hook gets more interesting.

Comment by Zorkel567 – December 6, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think it would have to be someone who wasn’t with the girls after Aria got out of the box and Jason was with them. so i think we can rule Jason out.

Comment by Elyse – December 7, 2012 02:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Hook tells Belle exactly what happened to the last girl that Rumple was with. That would be nice.

Comment by sara – December 6, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wouldn’t it though? That story would send any girl running far, far, far away but Belle would probably still think she can “change” him

Comment by Anna – December 6, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What happened? Are you talking about the wife?

Comment by tp – December 6, 2012 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah, one little detail…He ripped he heart out. Literally.

Comment by Sarah – December 9, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You did not know what “LARP” means? Snag yourself a seat at Comic-Con next year!

Comment by lesley – December 6, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he wasn’t sure what the title itself was in reference to: “Lars and the Real Girl”, the Ryan Gosling movie.

Comment by Carrie – December 6, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love that movie, it’s so sweet and odd!

Comment by Rain – December 7, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seth Gabel with spiky hair and a lot of black? Um, yes please! I wouldn’t want him any other way! I just keep liking this darn show more and more.

Comment by All In – December 6, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope that Baccarains character is going to be cut off next season. Her nymphomanic character is just unrealistic and awkward.
    She could be killed by anyone so it wouldn’t be such a big deal.

Comment by Julez – December 6, 2012 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessica unrealistic? She’s the most down-to-earth believable female character of all on Homeland. It’s unrealistic that the crazy slut Carrie is still working at the CIA and her relationship with Brody which doesn’t make any sense. So if we go by who’s unrealistic, it should be Carrie who dies.

Comment by HG – December 7, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So you think her nymphomanic behaviour towards her husband who just came home from war prison is realistic? Right….

Comment by Julez – December 7, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Her behaviour is realistic, yes. I read that the actress and the writers researched how a woman in her position would act and feel. They’re doing a great job.

Comment by HG – December 7, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Year. What a nymphomanic great job….

Comment by Julez – December 8, 2012 11:36 AM PDT
        • I wouldn’t characterize her as “nymphomaniac”, but, yes, usually wives that have been waiting for their husbands to come back from war are, to put it bluntly, SUPER horny. I am curious why you would consider her behavior as one of nympho?

Comment by fiyero – December 8, 2012 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by HG – December 7, 2012 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the Arrow scoop, Matt! Are you going to be doing additional reporting from your set visit soon?

Comment by Beth – December 7, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s definitely something I’d like to read! (-:

Comment by Ace – December 7, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The guy who plays Hook is just adorable. There is so much they could do with him. I’ll be heart-broken if they don’t do anything with that. Hook is a villan, but there’s so much opportunity in him for who he could gradually become!

Comment by Sarah – December 9, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post