Exclusive

Once Upon a Time Scoop: Gregory Itzin Cast as Frankenstein's [Spoiler]

Gregory Itzin on Once Upon a TimeDid the mad apple fall far from the tree? Once Upon a Time will explore that question when Gregory Itzin guest-stars on an upcoming Season 2 episode.

TVLine has confirmed that Itzin – a two-time Emmy nominee for his run as 24 POTUS Charles Logan, and currently a recurring player on Covert Affairs — will appear on the ABC drama as Dr. Victor Frankenstein’s father, Alphonse.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello Has Scoop on Once Upon a Time‘s Mulan/Aurora

Dr. Frankenstein is played on Once by David Anders, whose Storybrooke alter ego, Dr. Whale, is a standard-issue physician.

Itzin will appear in Episode 12, which also guest-stars Chad Michael Collins as Victor’s brother Gerhardt.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Midseason Finale Post Mortem: Burning Questions Answered!

Once Upon a Time, now on holiday hiatus, resumes its run Jan. 6 with Episode 10, “The Cricket Game.”

Want more scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Kacey McNatt says:

Nice to See you again President Logan

2. Anna says:

Cue “ugh there are too many new characters!!! I only watch for the Charmings/Regina/Rumple/etc!”

• Jane says:

I would add Hook to that.

• Jason says:

Ugh. The “Charmings” are the most boring and sappy part of the show. I tolerate their scenes only to get to other, far more interesting characters. Anyone. Sheesh, give me more Granny before I have to endure more fawning between Snow and that prince.

• Lane says:

I kinda agree. The Charming are becoming boring. With other characters there is real development and they are just always they same “I love you so”, “I love you too” – “I will always find you”, “You found me”. Everything always works out for them, everything is always happy-sappy… I’m kinda over it. I don’t mind getting to know more about Frankenstein’s family or the backstory of other characters if it means there’s real progress there and a time-out for the Charmings until the writers have figured out how to make them more interesting again.

3. Babybop says:

The last Frankenstein episode was terrible! I still don’t feel like Dr. Frankenstein fits in the dynamic of this show, but maybe the next episode they write him in will be better.

4. Jon says:

I really liked the Frankenstein episode, but I feel like they should stop focusing on secondary characters and worry more about moving the story forward. The show is OK, but I hate it when they do fillers.

• shuayb says:

The 1st Frankenstein ep was not just about Whale. It also showed us more about Regina and her plight and fight with Magic. It melded both worlds together. I liked it. It wasn’t the best, but wasn’t the worst either.

5. Mike says:

I didn’t like the first Frankenstein episode, but that was mostly due to the awful bring back Daniel plot, but I think there is hope for improvement if they focus more on the Dr and less on the other characters.

6. Bigby_wolf says:

Awesome! I really hope we get to learn more about that black/white world he was from and what it exactly is and who else may inhabit it!

7. mac says:

I love the idea of Whale being Frankenstein, the episode only sucked because it failed to deliver real horror (wich is understandable since the show is more teen orientated).
    But Whale/Frankenstein fits perfectly to the show and I’m kinda bummed that he hasn’t been promoted to a regular status

8. luke says:

Gregory Itzin is Red John.

9. I hope it’s better than the first Frankenstein episode. I’m on board with Frankenstein being part of OUAT, but I just felt like “The Doctor” was a let down.

10. Templar says:

That will be just a filler ep for me. I didn’t enjoy them crossing over into sci-fi and won’t care about this unless it moves the plot along.

11. Ella says:

Perfect casting!

12. Amber says:

Was anyone else thinking Whale had a double-role as the Wizard of Oz? In the Frankenstein episode, Jefferson (after clearly coming from Oz because Rumple wanted the ruby slippers) mentioned to Regina that he knew a “wizard of sorts” who might be able to help her. Whale/Victor also mentioned he had traveled to several lands looking for the right heart, making me think he might have gone from his black and white world to Oz (which would also fit with the Wizard of Oz stories). Am I reading too much into this or does anyone else think that too? I just feel like we never get the full story for anyone the first time out, so I’m always looking for little hints like that.

13. Lenn says:

Can’t wait! I love Dr. Whale and was annoyed that The Doctor was a Regina episode.

14. Ana says:

Have to say that I think the Frankenstein story is out of character for OUAT. Frankenstein is not a fairytale character, he’s a monster. And the epi with Whale trying to get a heart was all kinds of awkward. I was hoping we wouldn’t be seeing this again.

15. Britta Unfiltered says:

I was just looking up David Anders on IMDB because I thought I saw him in a Deadwood rerun I was recently watching, and I noticed he was also in 24. Which is a show I never watched, but I thought I would bring that up in case this is a reunion with the other actor. (BTW, that totally was him in Deadwood playing an infantryman in the 3rd season for about 30 seconds of air time.)

16. The Wench says:

Again, OUAT is not just about fairy tales. It’s about storybook characters.

• Templar says:

I disagree. Frankenstein is adult fiction/horror. The word storybook implies family fare. One doesn’t say “I’m going to the library or Barnes & Noble for a storybook unless they are referring to kid lit. This show is on Disney owned ABC and shown during the family hour. IMO monsters, vampires and zombies are out of place here.

• bigby_wolf says:

Monsters, vamps, and zombies are out of place for the “family hour” but queen’s ripping hearts out, werewolves eating their boyfriends,hands getting chopped off and a host of other things are just fine? This show is hardly children’s televison.

• Brian says:

Your way off about it being not appropriate. All of the other things the other poster said is 100% true.

17. A. says:

Im excited to see him! I loved him on 24 and I love him on Covert Affairs. I like seeing other characters storylines.

18. Ken says:

I dont mind bringing on new characters, love the show btw, but how about filling us in on what may have happened to some already established characters, since the curse has been broken…. Pinnochio for instance