The Mindy Project Writes Out Stephen Tobolowsky: 'Hope I Didn't Stink Up the Joint'

mindy project schulmanThe Mindy Project‘s Schulman & Associates has had a Schulmanectomy.

Stephen Tobolowsky, who played the head of the OB-GYN practice that employs Mindy Kaling‘s Dr. Lahiri, was written out of the series in Tuesday’s episode.

The doctors found a moving company clearing out his office. In a voiceover as the docs read a letter he left behind, Schulman explained that he wasn’t good at goodbyes.

RELATED | Subtle Sexuality Reunites! Mindy Project Lands The Office‘s Ellie Kemper for Christmas Episode

The character’s departure is part of the Fox comedy’s midseason retooling, which also includes Amanda Setton’s imminent exit and Anna Camp’s status changing from series regular to recurring.

“The decision was theirs,” Tobolowsky tells HitFix.com. He says that the role — which he took on after Richard Schiff (who originally played a similar part) couldn’t continue with the show — became less and less funny as production continued.

RELATED | Exclusive: The Mindy Project Recruits TV Vet Hal Linden

“I suspect I was a casualty of a show meeting many different demands from different sources,” he tells the site, adding that the Mindy Project team is “very talented” and “I certainly hope I didn’t stink up the joint.”

Mindy Project EP Matt Warburton tells HitFix that the character was written off so Mindy could encounter more challenges in the practice without having the avuncular Dr. Schulman around as a safety net.

What do you think of Dr. Schulman’s departure from The Mindy Project?

1. flutiefan says:

no more Amanda Setton? damn, she was fun. i liked her character. much better than Zoe Jarman (the annoying Betsy).

2. I don’t watch the show but this is sad for Stephen – I’ve been lucky enough to have met him and he’s a lovely guy and talented guy.

3. Gretchen says:

Did he even appear after the first episode?

4. Midori004 says:

This show is an unfunny mess. It needs to be canceled.

• TV Gord says:

Well, this is just…wrong. Try again, though. You lose the internet for Wednesday.

• misha says:

apparently someone didn’t get the memo that people have different sense’s of humour

• Midori004 says:

I guess someone didn’t get the memo that humor has to be funny.

The show isn’t funny. The show is a mess. They have a great cast (well did) but they clearly don’t have any clue how to run with it.

This show could have been like a more serious Scrubs, but instead it just is kind of there not knowing what it wants.

• fiyero says:

Yeah, that’s why NO ONE is watching this show and it’s on the brink of cancellation. We get that YOU don’t like it. That’s cool. But, that doesn’t mean that it’s not funny. I don’t get Two and A Half Men, but that doesn’t mean it’s not funny. It just means that it’s a different type of humor, directed at a different type of audience.

5. Allison says:

I never saw him again, did they cut him out of the episodes he filmed?

6. Jared says:

Its ok. The Mindy Project will be cancelled by Spring anyways.

7. mia says:

I’m okay with this. The show has something there, some great potential, and I’m glad they are tweeking it to see what’s right for them.

• Josh says:

I love Mindy Kaling. Love her. Find her very funny. However, there is nothing charming or endearing about Mindy Lahiri. I find myself caring more about Danny, or even Morgan than I do about her. If they really wanted to fix the show, they’d start with the main character.

8. heather_kaye says:

I was sad to see (hear) him go last night, but I thought it was well done, and a clear set-up to get Mindy more in the forefront of the practice.

9. I love the Mindy Project — easily my favorite new show this season. Tweak away, I say.

10. tvaddict says:

He’s only been in like 2 episodes though so not a huge shake up. I just wish Amanda Setton was staying!

11. znachki says:

Perhaps this will give him more time to work on the marvelous “The Tobolowsky Files”. If you’ve never heard it, you should. I think it’s on iTunes, but I get it on my public radio station.

12. Alichat says:

They got rid of Ned Ryerson??? That’s just wrong!

13. Stash says:

I am sorry, but I have never found Mindy Kaling that hilarious. I don’t know if it’s her delivery – she sounds like she’s suffering from chronic mush mouth – or that she carries some air of, I don’t know, superiority on her that I cannot ignore. I’d like to see what she can do in a serious role, I just don’t know.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

This. I wasn’t surprised she made herself a doctor on the show. Every Indian kid I come across thinks they need to be a doctor and they make for some craptastic Physicians. They are wonderful at Spelling Bees though.

• fiyero says:

Really? Every single Indian is a craptastic Physician? As Mindy would say “RACIST!”. On the other hand, part of the reason that Mindy did a show about an OB/GYN is because her mother was an OB/GYN and she presumably thought she could write a funny show about it. If she had really wanted to be a doctor, she would have become an actual doctor. Considering she went to Dartmouth, she was obviously smart enough.

14. CJ says:

That’s a shame, I really like Stephen Tobolowsky. I’m still on the fence about this show, but I’ll wait and see how it turns out after the retooling. I don’t dislike it, but aside from Dr. Castellano, I don’t really care about any of the characters. They have zero depth. I much prefer the underrated Ben & Kate.

15. sarah says:

Don’t watch this show, didn’t hold my interest past the first commercial break…Sorry for Stephen T as I am a fan of his, hopefully this will lead to him being in a good show!

16. Ana says:

Too bad for him but I don’t think that he’s the problem with the show. I don’t find Mindy to be funny at all. But I’m sure some people do since she did manage to get her own show. Maybe Fox thought she would be the next ‘New Girl’? Maybe she should have stayed with NBC. Oh well…

17. VOXPOP says:

MAybe steven will come back o ‘californication.’ that woodbee keen

18. voxpop81 says:

that should be ‘to’ californication

19. Rebekah says:

This show is sooo funny :) THEY HAVE TO KEEP IT GOING <3

20. Geraldo says:

Excellent blog here! Also your website loads up very fast!

What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your
    host? I wish my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

21. Stephan says:

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert
    that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way
    I will be subscribing to your augment and even
    I achievement you access consistently rapidly.