The Mindy Project Writes Out Stephen Tobolowsky: 'Hope I Didn't Stink Up the Joint'

Get More: News

mindy project schulmanThe Mindy Project‘s Schulman & Associates has had a Schulmanectomy.

Stephen Tobolowsky, who played the head of the OB-GYN practice that employs Mindy Kaling‘s Dr. Lahiri, was written out of the series in Tuesday’s episode.

The doctors found a moving company clearing out his office. In a voiceover as the docs read a letter he left behind, Schulman explained that he wasn’t good at goodbyes.

RELATED | Subtle Sexuality Reunites! Mindy Project Lands The Office‘s Ellie Kemper for Christmas Episode

The character’s departure is part of the Fox comedy’s midseason retooling, which also includes Amanda Setton’s imminent exit and Anna Camp’s status changing from series regular to recurring.

“The decision was theirs,” Tobolowsky tells HitFix.com. He says that the role — which he took on after Richard Schiff (who originally played a similar part) couldn’t continue with the show — became less and less funny as production continued.

RELATED | Exclusive: The Mindy Project Recruits TV Vet Hal Linden

“I suspect I was a casualty of a show meeting many different demands from different sources,” he tells the site, adding that the Mindy Project team is “very talented” and “I certainly hope I didn’t stink up the joint.”

Mindy Project EP Matt Warburton tells HitFix that the character was written off so Mindy could encounter more challenges in the practice without having the avuncular Dr. Schulman around as a safety net.

What do you think of Dr. Schulman’s departure from The Mindy Project?

Comments (37)

• no more Amanda Setton? damn, she was fun. i liked her character. much better than Zoe Jarman (the annoying Betsy).

Comment by flutiefan – December 5, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too bad about Ms Setton. I like her character

Comment by Boiler – December 5, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s the best looking woman on the show, so that’s a shame right there. The show needs tweeking, no question. I’m mildly curious to see where they go with it.

Comment by Cloudy Knight – December 5, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked Amanda Setton better than Zoe Jarman, but can’t stand how either of them talk. Those accents just bother me.

Comment by Russ – December 5, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch the show but this is sad for Stephen – I’ve been lucky enough to have met him and he’s a lovely guy and talented guy.

Comment by Kendal Walworth (@Kendal_) – December 5, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen!!! He needs a better character to play :)

Comment by Belle – December 5, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, Stephen is the tops and needs his own show!!!!

Comment by Margaret Burris – December 6, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did he even appear after the first episode?

Comment by Gretchen – December 5, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, he was the one who made them hire a nurse.

Comment by fiyero – December 5, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is an unfunny mess. It needs to be canceled.

Comment by Midori004 – December 5, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, this is just…wrong. Try again, though. You lose the internet for Wednesday.

Comment by TV Gord – December 5, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • apparently someone didn’t get the memo that people have different sense’s of humour

Comment by misha – December 5, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I guess someone didn’t get the memo that humor has to be funny.

The show isn’t funny. The show is a mess. They have a great cast (well did) but they clearly don’t have any clue how to run with it.

This show could have been like a more serious Scrubs, but instead it just is kind of there not knowing what it wants.

Comment by Midori004 – December 5, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, that’s why NO ONE is watching this show and it’s on the brink of cancellation. We get that YOU don’t like it. That’s cool. But, that doesn’t mean that it’s not funny. I don’t get Two and A Half Men, but that doesn’t mean it’s not funny. It just means that it’s a different type of humor, directed at a different type of audience.

Comment by fiyero – December 5, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, an audience that loves unfunny comedy.

Comment by Stannhauser – December 7, 2012 06:22 AM PDT
  • I never saw him again, did they cut him out of the episodes he filmed?

Comment by Allison – December 5, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its ok. The Mindy Project will be cancelled by Spring anyways.

Comment by Jared – December 5, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m okay with this. The show has something there, some great potential, and I’m glad they are tweeking it to see what’s right for them.

Comment by mia – December 5, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Mindy Kaling. Love her. Find her very funny. However, there is nothing charming or endearing about Mindy Lahiri. I find myself caring more about Danny, or even Morgan than I do about her. If they really wanted to fix the show, they’d start with the main character.

Comment by Josh – December 5, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was sad to see (hear) him go last night, but I thought it was well done, and a clear set-up to get Mindy more in the forefront of the practice.

Comment by heather_kaye – December 5, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Mindy Project — easily my favorite new show this season. Tweak away, I say.

Comment by Noviere (@gNoviere) – December 5, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s only been in like 2 episodes though so not a huge shake up. I just wish Amanda Setton was staying!

Comment by tvaddict – December 5, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps this will give him more time to work on the marvelous “The Tobolowsky Files”. If you’ve never heard it, you should. I think it’s on iTunes, but I get it on my public radio station.

Comment by znachki – December 5, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They got rid of Ned Ryerson??? That’s just wrong!

Comment by Alichat – December 5, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sorry, but I have never found Mindy Kaling that hilarious. I don’t know if it’s her delivery – she sounds like she’s suffering from chronic mush mouth – or that she carries some air of, I don’t know, superiority on her that I cannot ignore. I’d like to see what she can do in a serious role, I just don’t know.

Comment by Stash – December 5, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. I wasn’t surprised she made herself a doctor on the show. Every Indian kid I come across thinks they need to be a doctor and they make for some craptastic Physicians. They are wonderful at Spelling Bees though.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – December 5, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? Every single Indian is a craptastic Physician? As Mindy would say “RACIST!”. On the other hand, part of the reason that Mindy did a show about an OB/GYN is because her mother was an OB/GYN and she presumably thought she could write a funny show about it. If she had really wanted to be a doctor, she would have become an actual doctor. Considering she went to Dartmouth, she was obviously smart enough.

Comment by fiyero – December 5, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Completely delusional statement.

Comment by Stannhauser – December 7, 2012 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a shame, I really like Stephen Tobolowsky. I’m still on the fence about this show, but I’ll wait and see how it turns out after the retooling. I don’t dislike it, but aside from Dr. Castellano, I don’t really care about any of the characters. They have zero depth. I much prefer the underrated Ben & Kate.

Comment by CJ – December 5, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t watch this show, didn’t hold my interest past the first commercial break…Sorry for Stephen T as I am a fan of his, hopefully this will lead to him being in a good show!

Comment by sarah – December 5, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad for him but I don’t think that he’s the problem with the show. I don’t find Mindy to be funny at all. But I’m sure some people do since she did manage to get her own show. Maybe Fox thought she would be the next ‘New Girl’? Maybe she should have stayed with NBC. Oh well…

Comment by Ana – December 6, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MAybe steven will come back o ‘californication.’ that woodbee keen

Comment by VOXPOP – December 6, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that should be ‘to’ californication

Comment by voxpop81 – December 6, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is sooo funny :) THEY HAVE TO KEEP IT GOING <3

Comment by Rebekah – February 14, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent blog here! Also your website loads up very fast!

What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your
    host? I wish my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

Comment by Geraldo – February 18, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to assert
    that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way
    I will be subscribing to your augment and even
    I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

Comment by Stephan – February 22, 2013 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post