Seinfeld Alum Michael Richards Joins TV Land Comedy Pilot Giant Baby

Michael RichardsMichael Richards is plotting his TV return.

The Seinfeld vet will co-star opposite Cheers alumnae Kirstie Alley and Rhea Perlman in the TV Land comedy pilot Giant Baby, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Hot in Cleveland Exclusive: Sendhil Ramamurthy to Play Doctor With Joy

The potential sitcom stars Alley as Maddie Banks, a Broadway star who comes face-to-face with the son (Eric Petersen) she gave up for adoption 26 years ago. Richards will play her limo driver, while Perlman is her long-suffering assistant and best friend. Additionally, Gilles Marini (Switched at Birth, Dancing With the Stars) will guest in a potentially recurring role as Maddie’s chef.

Baby is written and exec-produced by Animal Practice showrunner Marco Pennette (Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives) with Alley and Jason Weinberg (Kirstie Alley’s Big Life) also exec-producing.

Since wrapping Seinfeld in 1998, Richards has done little TV work save for starring in NBC’s short-lived The Michael Richards Show and a guest arc on Curb Your Enthusiasm. He garnered unwanted attention in 2006 for a stand-up routine that turned into a racially charged shouting match with hecklers.

1. Blake says:

Pretty positive I’ll be skipping this show. It’s like watching post-rant Mel Gibson work or Tom Cruise’s work once he came out of the crazy closet. Now the racist, anti-semitic, crazy is all I see in their work.

• d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

So then you also discrimate against people based on one fact.

• Blake says:

When the fact is that someone is a racist or anti-semitic, yes, I would discriminate against them. Hitler was very anti-semitic. His being anti-semitic is why a large amount of people don’t like him.

2. Mark says:

Her son is not attractive. This show sounds good though. I like the idea of reuniting Rhea and Kirstie.

3. I think you need to research what a fact means. If you weigh all of the positive “facts” about Michael Richards, his charity, his being a comedic legend, his good nature (aside from ONE provoked outburst), the FACT that he brought joy to millions for 9 years, etc. it would seem that Richards is not a racist nor an anti-Semite. How could this even be possible, working with two men of the Jewish faith, in Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld?

One incidence does not completely define a human being. A constructive relationship between the offender and the offended is one of internalizing the wrong-doings and then having the offended forgive them. If forgiveness failed to exist, then a lot of so-called facts would leave you very much alone. Such a divisive mentality is not helpful and only prevents those who have wronged us from becoming better people. You don’t have to like Richards, but instead of seeing a video and suckling at the ratings-worshiping, reveling-in-gossip media tit, and then quickly assuming, “Oh well I guess he’s a racist,” maybe you should consider the fact that racist words can be used as weapons when under duress, and that doesn’t not entail a racist per se. Sure, it’s not an excuse for his actions. He deserves some vilification, but then to say that he is absolutely a racist, that he’s comparable to Hitler because Hitler was anti-Semitic? Come on. People don’t hate Hitler for being anti-Semitic. That is far down the list of reasons for hating Hitler. Everyone hates Hitler because he killed millions of Jews (and millions of other people) to gain political power and control over his country. I won’t get into Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson given that they’re on completely different planes of psychosis also, like Hitler. I just thought your comparison to Hitler was the most egregious of the three.

Classes you need to take: basic world history (should have taken this in grade school), psychology 101, and maybe a class that deals with Sympathy.

• Bob says:

I love the Freedom of Speech clause of the 1st Amendment as much as anyone, but could you be a little more succinct in your future posts. No one reads such long diatribes. Less is more.

4. Mika says:

Sorry, but I agreed with Blake whenever I see him all I think of is his racist rant. Therefore, I too will be skipping this show.

5. Mimi says:

i will be watching this show for Kirstie and especially for Michael and his racist rantt

6. Starting excess weight 160 lbs a person 7 days later 150lbs-2weeks later 145lbs, Today 140lbs i have ten extra lbs to go for my purpose fat. It’s got gotten alittle more challenging to get rid of additional weight, but I experience that it can be easier to lose more fat given that I now dont crave any kinds of food stuff. I’m so glad that i gave this product a chance :)