Ratings: Scandal Catches Elementary With Season High, 30 Rock Wedding Well Attended

Get More: News, Ratings

COLUMBUS SHORTSherlock Holmes may want to check the Nielsen diaries in Defiance, because ABC’s Scandal this week rose 10 percent to a season high rating of 2.2 and in doing so tied CBS’ Elementary for the 10 pm win.

The sophomore Shonda drama was also up 11 percent in total viewers to deliver its second-largest audience ever (6.7 million).

Opening ABC’s night, Last Resort (5.2 mil/1.0) dropped 17 percent to a new series low, while Grey’s Anatomy (8.7 mil/3.0) slipped just 6 percent from its last fresh eppy.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Ellen Pompeo Weighs In on the Big Twist

The Big Bang Theory was plenty big, dominating Thursday with 17.2 million total viewers and a 5.4 rating, yet was down 2 percent from its recent record audience.

Elsewhere:

* Leading out of Big Bang, Two and a Half Filthy Men was flat at 13.8 mil/4.1. Person of Interest dominated the 9 o’clock hour in total audience with 14.3 mil, but dipped two tenths in the demo (to a 2.9). The aforementioned Elementary (10.4 mil/2.2) slipped 4 percent.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Recap: Love, Blood, Pageantry and One Killer Climax

* Over on The CW, The Vampire Diaries (3.2 mil/1.5) rose 13 and 15 percent, while Beauty and the Beast (2.15 mil/0.8) saw gains of more than 30 percent (though adjustments due to football preemptions are expected).

RELATED | Glee Recap: Let’s Talk About Sectionals

* Versus their pre-Thanksgiving Thursday outings, The X Factor (8.2 mil/2.7) was up some 10 percent while Glee (5.8 mil/2.2) rose a tenth in the demo and scored its largest audience since Oct. 4.

* NBC’s 30 Rock wedding was attended by 3.6 million viewers, a season high audience as well as the winding-down sitcom’s largest draw since March 15; in the demo, it inched up 8 percent. Up All Night (3 mil/1.2) dipped a tenth, while The Office (3.9 mil/1.9, down 10 percent) and Parks and Recreation (3 mil/1.4) both fell to series lows. Rock Center (3.4 mil/0.9) dropped 18 percent.

Comments (35)

• Good to see more people are discovering Scandal! The episode last night was crazy…I don’t see how anybody could NOT want to tune in at this point!

Comment by ktbanks – November 30, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’m curious how involved mellie was with what happened, she obviously knew what was about to take place (and started having second thoughts?)

Comment by jenna – November 30, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She may have known what was going to take place, but she could have had some sort of motherly intuition on the whole night. This at least gives the writers a little wiggle room on the outcome of the event.

Comment by Locke – November 30, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO excited to see Scandal get the jump, they deserve it – that was some crazy show last night!

Comment by Colleen – November 30, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad for parks and rec… Last night was such a good episode!! Pawnee forever!

Comment by Lily – November 30, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great for BATB! Love that show. It just keeps improving.

Comment by AT – November 30, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy about the ratings for Scandal, one of the best dramas on TV these days. Love it!!

Comment by Renee – November 30, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way to go Vampire Diaries!!! Show Arrow who’s boss!!! J/K, I love/watch Arrow too!! The CW’s best shows!!!

Comment by Eric – November 30, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder how much of that boost was happy Delena fans who only got smacked back down in the end?

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – November 30, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Does it matter really? no one saw it coming…

Comment by C – November 30, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think it matters. If people tuned in to see Delena finally get together, only to be told, “haha! Elena’s feelings aren’t real!” they might not be as inspired to tune in, especially if they’re thinking, “TVD is still jerking us around after three years.”

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – November 30, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • All right. I am a Delena fan too. I was heartbroken the last minute too but I still think people were shocked… that’s why TVD is sooo AMAZING!!

Comment by C – November 30, 2012 01:55 PM PDT
          • I absolutely agree! Just when we Delenians were rejoicing with their union, leave it to the writers to cheapen the moment by making it about being sired! What BS! Last season before her “choice”, Elena kissed the tonsils out of Damon- she wasn’t sired then! What a load of nonsense!
            Now, it might just be that Elena will end up hating Damon for taking advantage of the situation! Unless, it becomes real for Elena as time goes by.
            Still, I’m a die-hard Delena fan and I will enjoy the ride for as long as it goes!

Comment by Susy – November 30, 2012 03:46 PM PDT
  • I hate to say this but I’m going to guess that this would be Parks and Rec’s last season along side the office. I love the show so much and NBC doesn’t have much else going on but I can’t see them keeping it any longer. 5 seasons is a good run though. Maybe they’ll keep it around long enough for 100 episodes though for syndication purposes.

Comment by damian – November 30, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal was fantastic yesterday the ending was so freaking shocking, hopefully it keeps going up

Comment by Juan – November 30, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Beauty & the Beast increase, but I suspect that will go down. Here in GA football was on and Beauty & the Beast didn’t start until like 12:40am.

Comment by Renee – November 30, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we PLEASE get a Scandal recap?!?!?!

Comment by Alicia – November 30, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • seriously!!!!

Comment by kmt – November 30, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES!YES!YES! THIS!!!

Comment by AMES – November 30, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!!!!!! please??

Comment by Sara – November 30, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed POI. Glad it’s doing so well.

Comment by Jenny – November 30, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so glad scandal is up – great show – finally getting some advertisement from abc

Comment by JCT – November 30, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want a Scandal recap as well. This site is so inconsistent with their recaps. One week there a GA then nothing same for Scandal. Last night Scandal was do exciting and had mebon the edge . So many shocking storylines. Please recap.

Comment by Forwarddad – November 30, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i feel like whenever i watch the office and parks and rec live, there ratings dip slightly. I guess I should stick to hulu, lol.

Comment by VCI – November 30, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • * so
    * me on

And I don’t count the GA Q&A a recap.

Comment by Forwarddad – November 30, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad 30 Rock is getting good ratings. I wish Community was still a part of the Thursday night line up.

Comment by Sports Fan – November 30, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where did you read that 30 Rock’s ratings are good? NBC was beaten by a CW show in the 8pm hour.. that’s embarassing!

Comment by uniqblue69 – November 30, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well done Scandal rising whilst Elementary slipped. This week’s guest star on Elementary didn’t seem to draw any viewers in.

Comment by Holly – November 30, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually this was a series low for Elementary

Comment by Sam – November 30, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really loving the CW now a days..who would have thought. Arrow and B&TB have been solid.

Comment by Jared – November 30, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. Shocked by that actually. Arrow & B&TB are two of my three favorite shows.

Comment by Renee – November 30, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal has got to be the most underrated show this season. I’m glad ABC is not giving up on it and it’s pushing more the PR. I see this show as The Good Wife on steroids in terms of writing. But the storylines are so much better, the energy is off the charts, the chemistry, goodness, the chemistry is crazy! Especially between Olivia and Fritz. Those two get together in one scene and the lens starts to melt! I am a Grey’s fan above all. Grey’s is my number 1 show because I love the characters, but honestly, Scandal is so much better quality. And I love the nifty photography effects when they change scenes. But what I like the most about this show is that is smart. It’s not soapy or stuck on specific formulas. It’s bold and cerebral but also fun and quirky. And Thursday’s last scene was insane! Fritz getting shot! I literally jumped off my chair. My first thought was, I HATE Shonda Rhimes! My second thought was, I LOVE Shonda Rhimes. Brilliant!!!!

Comment by Ana – November 30, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal recap please!!!!!!!

Comment by Forwarddad – November 30, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES at Scandal!

SHonda is really delivering with this show!

If you ain’t watching it…PLEASE START!

Comment by llws88 – November 30, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED Scandal this week. I’m still a little confused about how Hollis Doyle and the pipeline fit into the election rigging, and I cannot believe James is chasing it! And then Mellie and the shot – I know we saw them using a defibrilator, so do we think that Grant is going to die?! Does that crazy VP get to be Pres?!

Comment by Rachel – December 2, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post