Carrie Underwood to Headline NBC's Live Sound of Music Remake: Genius or Sacrilege?

carrie underwood sound of musicHow do you solve a problem like casting the role of Maria von Trapp in your live televised version of The Sound of Music? If you’re NBC, you ink a deal with American Idol Season 4 champ-turned-country music megastar Carrie Underwood.

Indeed, the “Before He Cheats” singer and five-time Grammy winner will headline the latest take on the Rodgers and Hammerstein Broadway musical that will be produced by Craig Zadan and Neil Meron (Smash, Chicago).

The production is slated to air during the 2013 holiday season.

“We’re thrilled to be presenting the Broadway version of The Sound of Music live,” said Zadan and Meron, in a release. “And having Carrie Underwood as the star brings it to a new generation who will fall in love with it for the first time, as many millions of people already have. It’s a particular joy to us as producers to see this amazing artist stretch into new territory with this classic musical.”

The Sound of Music, set in pre-World War II Austria, is based on the true story of Maria von Trapp, an aspiring nun who takes a job as governess for the seven children of widower Captain von Trapp. The duo begins to fall in love with each other against the backdrop of the rise of Nazi Germany.

The Broadway version of The Sound of Music premiered in 1959, winning the Tony Award for Best Musical. The 1965 big-screen version won the Best Picture Oscar.

1. melliemd says:

…What? No. That is… That’s just not okay. :/

2. Autumn says:

Um, no. Do they not want this to be taken seriously? I hope she can at least act.

3. No one but Julie! says:

Sacrilege – how dare they!

4. Phoenix says:

I’m still having an issue with the “live, small-screen remake of The Sound of Music” part of the article, let alone any issues with the casting.

5. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

Carrie will be great!

6. MrMank says:

Different singers excel in different genres. I absolutely love Miss Underwood, and I think she is the greatest modern day country singer. That being said, this is SUCH a mistake! What has Carrie Underwood done in her career that has given any TRUE musical casting director the idea that this role is right for her? Why are we even remaking this timeless classic? What the f*ck is wrong with people??

• melliemd says:

Yes, agree. I also love Carrie Underwood, she’s an incredible singer. But her voice does -not- fit the classic broadway style of Rodgers and Hammerstein. If we -have- to remake it, at least cast a broadway actress.

• Owen says:

Didn’t Carrie sing a Rogers and Hammerstein during the Broadway week on her season of “Idol”?

• DaveM says:

Carrie sang the title song at a live performance of Movies Rock some years back and did such a wonderful job. She has had acting roles, both TV and movie, and of course many of her music videos require a good bit of acting. While she is country, she has one of the most versatile voices in the business today and can sing anything. Many people have played this role in the broadway format (including Marie Osmond) and if this were a re-make of the movie, I’d say no way and leave it be since it is a classic, but this is different altogether. For those nay sayers, I think she will surprise you.

7. Irish Man 12 says:

Uh this entire ordeal has “failure” written all over it. This has nothing to do with Carrie Underwood at all; she’s the greatest thing that has happened to country music in a long long time. But this idea of a live remake is so stupid to begin with that I don’t see any way that this could work. I only hope that people don’t bash Carrie because of this.

• nyguy says:

Will it be dreadful, probably. Will a really silly public that gobbles down trash reality shows eat it up? Again, probably. If it’s as bad as Smash it could be really fun, as in “John Waters it’s fiendishly bad” kitschy kind of fun.

8. No,no NO! The Sound of Music is a CLASSIC! You don’t mess with that!

9. Diz says:

You people need to go eat a cookie. I love Carrie Underwood so count me in & I’ve never even seen Sound of Music!

• Butters says:

Be thankful you have never seen it. It is the most overrated piece of crap ever produced. It is sickening sweet, but for some reason people love it.

• Mary says:

It is a classic that actually tells a true story of times back then. Unfortunately they don’t make movies like that anymore. All kids see is violence and fake realty TV. Maybe they should watch and bring more culture to their lives.

• Summer says:

Too busy eating cookies to actually bother watching the original, are you?

Carrie Underwood is a fine singer, but I think she’s being miscast here.

• Caitlin says:

Then you need to watch it, and you will understand where everyone is coming from. I love Carrie myself, but I agree with pretty much everyone that this just does not sound like a good idea in any respect. Carrie has an amazing voice, but she doesn’t have the type of voice to do proper justice to Broadway style music.

• Margaret Leigh says:

Maybe you should see The Sound Of Music before judging. Even though I don’t like country music all together I can willingly admit she is a good singer for her genre. But her voice does not fit for this kind of broad way play. Besides, Julie Andrews had a voice that hit pitches many artist’s today cannot even hit. But of course anyone who is a fan of somebody will try to love them in anything and are unwillingly to admit the obvious.

10. Kristin says:

Sacrilege. Blasphemy. Whatever you word want to call it. Epic failure.

11. Eliza says:

No. Just NO. Back away, NBC.

12. Megan Weber says:

I am furious at the fact that they are even considering making a remake of the wonderful classic, the Sound of Music. Who would even support the making of this? I don’t understand. This movie isn’t just a movie, it’s so very inspiring, and I don’t think that all the fans out there would be very appreciatve to hear this news. AS WELL AS the von Trapp family. I am just so outraged.

13. Is there something wrong with the Julie Andrews version they air every year??

14. Tiffany says:

No one thought Julie Andrews had what it took to play Maria on the big screen and I remember the reaction when Reba McEntire was cast in ‘Annie Get Your Gun’. I think this has great potential, Carrie has a beautiful voice that will do well for SoM. Here’s a thought: How about you all wait until the movie premieres before you start bashing it and Carrie?

• melliemd says:

Annie Get Your Gun combines the styles of country and broadway… Plus, Reba is also an actress, not just a singer. The Sound of Music is pure classical broadway, not a twangy, fun romp like AGYG.

15. Sara says:

Something just shouldn’t be messed with. Sound of Music is one of them. Ugh, Hollywood!!!

16. DDB says:

Everyone realizes that new productions of The Sound of Music are happening every year, right? What’s the difference between this and any small town high school that’s putting it on for their winter musical? The original still exists as it is.

• melliemd says:

What’s the difference between a gigantic TV network and a high-school? Oh, nothing, obviously. They’re the exact same. My high-school made millions of dollars and had influence over millions of people, too. We must have gone to the same place.

17. Becks says:

I’m feeling cautiously optimistic about this. This version will definitely be different if they’re going with such a big name, but it could wind up being really good. And I don’t think it takes away from the original at all, it’ll be fun to see a different version of it.

18. MM says:

Why????
    Why mess with the sound of music. leave it as it is.

19. If they’re going to remake it I’m perfectly happy with Carrie as Maria, but I honestly don’t know why they would remake this movie (and I’ve seen the broadway show as well–bring that back instead!). The charm of Sound of Music is the innocence it portrayed in such a tumultuous time, and that innocence would be lost on the screen today. It just doesn’t exist anymore, and I’m only 22 and saying that! Just keep reairing the original, and make a new movie for Carrie to star in!

20. CHA says:

I haven’t seen the Broadway version of TSOM, but I’m sure there are differences between that and the motion picture version. They are creating a live version of the Broadway production, not a remake of the movie. Relax people. I think Carrie will do a great job.

21. David says:

I am very happy that NBC is bringing staged musicals back to life on TV. It is long overdue. Keep in mind that the stage version is somewhat different from the movie, so there is no need to compare the two. And I think Carrie Underwood is an excellent choice to play Maria. She has a beautiful voice…one of the best in the business…and this gives her a chance to do something different. I will be looking forward to this.

22. JW says:

I don’t agree with the choice… but there is a video of her performing on a CBS special where she sings the opening number from the movie… She performed it very well, so the only thing left is her acting…

23. tory says:

No this is wrong on so many levels……ruin the sound of music by singing in a country tone…. I am southern so I can say that lol…..she can’t change her singing tone like an actor changes voice for certain roles……this will be a disaster

24. Mark says:

I can’t quite picture Carrie as Maria, but I don’t have a huge problem with it. She is very talented.

Now, if they cast Taylor Hicks as Captain von Trapp, we’re gonna have to have a talk….

25. chuck says:

Horse hockey …thats crazy…

26. Stacey says:

The productiion is based on the musical not the movie. So ti sounds like it could be slightly different. I have actually seen a production recently of a redone musical. Different. So I’ll be able to see what they will do this one. It’s not based on the movie. It’s definitely a big task for Carrie. But she has the voice. And the quality for Maria. Big test for a one time only, three hour production. But I am sure they will be alot of time to get it ready once Carrie is finished with touring after next summer. And another step in her quest to have multi platform career. Heck better Carrie than Taylor Swift!

• whosays says:

so true dat! yet TSwift has the wide-eyed innocence of a Maria, and she’s a really convincing actress (as seen in her videos and performances).

27. whosays says:

Carrie will do just fine. She has proven in various recordings (like her duets with Tony Bennet and Loretta Lynn) that she can throw her vocal stylings in whatever direction is called for (like more jazzy or more rootsy). I’m sure she can adjust accordingly for the lyrical broadway stylings. Besides, Carrie is from the midwest heartland and thus doesn’t sound very twangy to begin with – she puts on the twang for country music.

It’s just somehow I associate SoM songs with a British accent, which in American theater & movie practice usually stands for any foreign accent (i.e. why does an Austrian sound British LOL?). Not sure I can adjust to Carrie’s very American voice for these songs. Though I probably can.

• Mary says:

It is not only the singing I am concern with, can she act? The Sound of Music is a classic, sometimes it is just better to leave well enough alone. I wish her luck and hope I am pleasantly surprise.

• dmtm says:

Wrong. Carrie & Reba are both from Eastern Oklahoma which is known as Little Dixie. Reba is from Stringtown & Carrie’s from Checota. We residents of Oklahoma, especially Eastern Oklahoma, look at ourselves more as southerners than midwesternites.

28. Kayla says:

I am absolutely appalled. Some things you just should never touch. I’m only 20 but this movie is one i could never stomach a remake of.

29. Mary says:

I am not sure about this. Carrie has a fantastic voice but nobody I mean nobody can even come close to Julie Andrews. I believe this is one story that should never be remake.
    I wish her luck but I am sure it will pale in comparison to the original.

30. Jason says:

As long as Larry David is cast as Mother Superior, I’m fine with it.

31. Maria says:

The 1965 movie is a classic and is irreplaceable. That said, I am interested to watch this tv incarnation. If only Julie Andrews has recovered her singing voice, it would be a casting coup to invite her to play the Mother Abbess.

32. Jim says:

Well… has she ever done any type of musical theatre? I have no problem with a new verion of a classic Broadway show. (Bette Midler did GYPSY. Matthew Broderick did THE MUSIC MAN.) But… this casting gives me pause. It may be a familiar work in the musical theatre canon but it is not necessarily a cakewalk or star turn either. We shall see.

33. Amy says:

Please don’t mess with the hotness that is Christopher Plummer in the original! I think I would scream.

• Dave says:

Christopher Plummer wasn’t the original Captain Von Trapp. Theodore Bikel was. Why can’t people seem to understand that they are re-staging the original Broadway play, NOT re-making the movie?

• Jacey says:

Lol people get that, but it’s the same characters and story. And the movie version is what people remember and will compare to.

34. Drewer says:

This is a classic film, and I pretty much don’t know anyone who has never seen it, so a new generation does not need to fall in love with it. It’s not so much that I dislike Carrie in the roll, I don’t want anyone to be in the roll.

35. jalahyacinth says:

I don’t really care WHO gets cast, I hate Sound of Music. This is coming from a Julie Andrews super fan and music theater buff…. I HATE that musical.

Hate messages in 3, 2,1…

36. Lucy says:

Can Carrie Underwood act? This is a musical play — it requires acting talent, not just a singing voice. So many talented actresses (who can also sing) could have been cast, so why did they pick Carrie? Oh, wait a minute, forgot for a moment that it’s all about money (But Dolly Parton as the Mother Superior might be fun.)

37. Bill Wilson says:

You all are mad NOW? Wait ’til they announce Justin Bieber as Capt. von Trapp!!!!

38. bouionice says:

Well I know that when I think “Modern-day Julie Andrews or Mary Martin” the first person that comes to mind is Carrie Underwood…NOT!

39. Caitlyn says:

singing aside, because I think she’ll probably be able to tweak her voice enough that it’s not distracting…she is a terrible actress. We couldn’t stop laughing whenever she was on screen in Soul Surfer. This is not going to be good.

40. susela says:

I don’t think Carrie Underwood has the necessary range for the part. Also, she’s so stiff! Poor thing, everyone will be comparing her to Julie Andrews and she will come up waaay short.

41. Jacey says:

Sounds like it will be hilariously bad. Seriously, what are they thinking? Lol

42. jack says:

Ugh, what terrible casting!!! Carrie is terrible actress! What a travesty to the role. Puleese.

43. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Ummm. Not sure there is a point in messing with the original and if there is, well, isn’t this the last thing in the world you want to countrify???? Y’all kids be good now while we mosey on up over the Alps.

Yeahhhh…. I dunno about that.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

If they want a country star, honestly, maybe they’d be better off with Taylor Swift, at least she seems sort of Maria-like with that sort of delicate innocence and sweetness about her and she could at least get the country sound and style out of her voice and mannerisms better being from the North (and which she seems to be slowly doing anyone crossing more over towards pop). (although to be fair I haven’t really followed Underwood much so maybe she has shown she can sing twang-free somewhere??)

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

OK, well it’s a live broadcast of a play, not a re-make, better, but is that really the sort of thing that she has a lot of experience with? I don’t see how going after any young country star seems to make a whole lot of sense (although that demo does seem to watch anything to do with singing shown on TV in spades so I guess that is the why, but….).

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I suppose that fact that producers involved with Chicago are involved in this helps. You’d think they would know how to avoid a train wreck and they certainly handled Chicago well so maybe they’ve gotten to see something that has given them full confidence in this….

44. Liz says:

That guy from 30 Rock should be Captain Von Trapp. Cheyanne Jackson.

45. JT says:

Was there no actual Broadway talent available for what has to be a highly coveted role? Stunt casting in order to get ratings at its finest.

46. Sandrine says:

They better get Carrie to some acting classes at once. This is my favorite musical and I’m gonna be pissed if they do a botched job with it.

47. Kathy B says:

Justin Timberlake as Captain Von Trapp. I think we should all give it a chance! May be fun to watch!

48. Angela says:

I have read all the comments. I have watched the code of Carrie singing the title song. Here are my two cents:
    – The stage production is SO different from the movie, which might save Carrie. Better her than Swift. Whoever brought her name up should be shot.
    – The Captain role will need to be played by an older gentleman, perhaps Erik McCormack? Remember, he’s supposed to have children age 16 down to four.
    – I was a Musical Theatre major in college, and I adore musicals. I grew up watching them. Like so many other things from past generations, most everything makes a comeback. I would love for musicals to make a comeback, too, especially if they keep them true-to-broadway standards and don’t add a bunch of extra violence and sex. I know both sell, but there is a large number of people who have been looking for family-friendly movies with great stories. This is a chance to fill that void.
    – Good luck, NBC. Please don’t flub it up.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I just saw a video of her singing one of the songs from it. In one sense she handled it OK in that her voice could handle it fine and the twang was largely gone but…. something about it still seemed like it was sung and phrased in a country style just a little bit to much and then at the end it seemed even more country-ish in trappings when it needs von trappings not country trappings. So I’m still not sold on the whole thing, although I’m sure some will love it.

Can’t they just get some broadway artist? I’m sure plenty are fantastic (and starving) ones that could use the attention?

49. teatime says:

Excellent choice. I am excited to see this. Carrie has a great voice. She comes off as intelligent, determined, and wholesome. I think she is the perfect choice to play Maria.

50. Ross says:

JC I’m not a dummy I know the play exists I knew it existed before the movie and yes the Von Trapps
    are real , point is that we been over this before they’ve did this with Annie it didn’t work it’s just
    a waste of time what’s next Lawrence Of Arabia
    or Gone With The Wind regardless of weither it’s TV or Film they need to get new ideas instead of
    retreads and redos it’s just stupid.