The X Factor Top 8 Results Recap: Did the Right Acts Get Axed This Week?

Let’s breathe a collective sigh of relief for Khloe Kardashian and Mario Lopez. With the number of competitors on Season 2 of The X Factor down to the mid-single digits, neither one of ‘em will have to awkwardly count on their fingers to keep track of the proceedings from now through the season finale. (Okay, maybe that Kardashian woman will have problems till we’re down to the final four, but I digress…)

Anyhow, where our perpetually malfunctioning hostbots dodged a bullet, the X Factor audience was not so lucky. Honestly, is there any sport or competition imaginable — short of maybe Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? — in which you’d want to see a grown-ass man with flame tattoos pinch-hitting for actual human hair engaging in head-to-head battle against an adorable 13-year-old girl whose bedroom is almost certainly decorated with One Direction posters, Breyer model horses, and butterfly wall art? Yeesh!

RELATED | X Factor‘s Lyric Da Queen on Eye Patches, Mary Poppins and Miley — Plus: Bonus Freestyle Rap!

While you ponder that question, let’s cut to the chase: Top 8 week results. A mere nine minutes into the telecast, Mario excitedly announced which finalist had the lowest number of votes and would be walking the plank with little to no fanfare: Paige Thomas. Makes sense, seeing how she was among the best two or three performances from Wednesday night’s telecast! Paige, who’d written “H-A-V-E-F-A-I-T-H” on her fingernails, was probably wishing she’d written ‘W-h-y-T-h-e-F-a-c-e” instead. But instead of an R-rated tirade, the gorgeous single mom said she was eager to go home, get to work, and accomplish “bigger” and “better” things.

RELATED | The Voice’s Bryan Keith on Channeling Amy Winehouse, Dueting With De’Borah and More

As Blondie from Emblem3 flexed his muscles behind Mario Lopez, we cut to commercial break, a fine performance from Season 1’s Josh Krajcik, and then more results…

Sent to Safety (in no particular order)
Fifth Harmony
CeCe Frey
Emblem3
Carly Rose Sonenclar
Tate Stevens

[Alicia Keys is on FIIII-YAAAAHHHHH. Let's hear it for NEW-YORRRRRK!]

Sing-Off
Diamond White: Beyonce’s “I Was Here” | Yeah, she hit a couple of sharp notes, but overall a solid showing on a very ambitious ballad. Plus, whereas Carly Rose always leaves me thinking how she’s too young for her material, I never think too much about Diamond’s age when she’s singing. What’s that about?

Vino Alan: Ray LaMontagne’s “Trouble” | The opening few bars were a little ugly, but Vino hit his stride soon after, putting his gruff instrument to fine use. Was it too restrained, though? I never felt like his voice completely opened up on the chorus.

Judges’ Votes
L.A.: Sending home Diamond
Britney: Sending home Vino
Demi: Sending home Vino
Simon: Sending home Vino

“America didn’t get to even hear what I had,” said Vino. Well, L.A. pretty much guaranteed that with his endless litany of old-school soul ballads, no?

[OMG has this episode lasted three hours or what?]

Official Leaderboard
6. Diamond White
5. CeCe Frey
4. Fifth Harmony
(3 1/2. Simon Cowell’s face)
3. Emblem3
[Just one tenth of one percent separate the Top 2]
2. Tate Stevens
1. Carly Rose Sonenclar

And with that, let me turn things over to you:

What did you think of The X Factor‘s Top 8 results show? Did you agree with the results? And who exactly is voting for CeCe? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

p.s. No new Reality Check this week, thanks to last week’s Thanksgiving holiday. But we’ll be back with a new video next Monday, scout’s honor!

1. Annie says:

Still don’t know how Cece is still here..

• ash says:

one of life’s mysteries.

• Edward says:

Ditto.She is like a gum stuck in your shoe. I cannot believe the travesty that she managed to outlast Paige,her much more effective counter part, who by the way gave one of the best performances of the night.

• Jason says:

She’s a better singer then Paige! She’s actually one of the better singers in the competition but they gave her the villain edit in the shows so she is not popular. She also got hurt by a lot of bad decisions by Demi (bleaching her hair, bad song choices)!! She is kept around because she was better then Vino and Paige last night and the Simon was the only just that didn’t like her because he figures she’s easy to get out to save his act!!

• Calli says:

Are they giving her voice the villain edit too? Girl needs to pick a key and stay on it.

• erin says:

I’ll give you that she’s a better singer than Paige, because Paige was brutal almost every week… but CeCe can’t stay on key to save her life. And she’s SO SCREECHY.

• soundscene says:

Outside of Emblem3 (whose voices I can barely hear over the loud backup vocals), Cece has the weakest vocals in the competition. She has really poor pitch, breath control and strength. She’s not better than Paige, who sang more on-pitch notes in her worst performance than Cece has sung all season. Why do you think VFTW chose her to rally behind?

• Claudia Costa Chaves says:

The poor girl is a trier, without the real talent to back her up. That’s tragic. I must admit she is really like gum, only stuck to your hair. You’ll have to chopp off a chunk to get rid of her…

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

I can answer that. LA Reid calculatingly saved her over Beatrice last week and Simon went along. Ironically, LA lost a team member anyway.

• Kayko says:

I’m with you on Cece, she stared out pretty good but went down hill fast!!!! And please someone tell her to stop all the fake crying, because I haven’t seen an actual tear yet. It’s time for her to go home.

• Luiz says:

Man, you’ve got to see an eye doctor. I’m not saying the crying is legit (to use Emblem3’s vocabulary), but there are definitely tears everywhere when she cries, so, if she fakes, she’s a damn good actress.

That being said, I agree with everyone who says her vocals are terrible. They weren’t when she sang “Ain’t no other man”, “I will always love you” and “I’m sexy and I know it”, but they have been terrible since the live shows started. Poor girl can’t really sing, at least for the last month.

I did love her performance, though, it was so more fun than any of the other acts! I would never pay for a 5th Harmony or a Diamond concert, but I’d definitely go watch CeCe rock on stage. She could do like Britney and not really sing, and there’s a good show.

She deserved much more than Paige, who can’t sing and definitely can’t put on a good show, but I won’t be said if she goes home last week. Top 6 is already a victory to that girl.

Don’t worry about CeCe, she won’t win. But Carly is the one who really deserves to win. I’d be worried about that.

• Cheryl says:

Seriously…has no one heard of Vote for the Worst? People are so gullible.

• robnusa says:

Does anything on this show ever make sense ?

• Gayle says:

You might check votefortheworst.com for an answer.

• Kathi says:

Ditto! Cannot stand to even watch her let alone listen to her crappy singing

• Dayrah says:

Now that Beatrice is gone, Cece is actually my favorite. She has the most likable personality and she is the probably the only act that doesn’t bore me and make me want to skip to the end of the performance (cough TATE ahem). Honestly she is the only one I actually look forward to watching anymore.

That being said, this whole show has become a total joke this year. I have started watching the UK X Factor and there is just so much more talent there; it’s actually hard to find flaws in performances and you can look forward to great performances every week.

2. Kerry says:

I would also like to know who is voting for CeCe. Again more deserving contestants went home while she stays. I’m not sure Vino or Paige would’ve won but they definitely deserved to stay in the competition over CeCe.

3. Forwarddad says:

Because of VFTW…..There was no way Demi was going to be left wo anyone..

• linda says:

what is VFTW

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Considering how the bottom half bounce around randomly in order each week, who knows, it might close enough for VFTW to bump her a crucial one or two spots up each week?
      I think she might actually have talent and I don’t think she is as bad in either way as people make her out to be but so much has gone on I think the ship has sailed for her to have a chance to make it right on this show and may have been best off to have been let home that early week and leave with the sympathy of not having been given a real chance and with more of her pre-live show stuff in people’s minds???

4. para says:

Who The F is voting for Cece!!!!!! She’s like the most unlikable person I have seen on TV!!!!

• Jason says:

Me too! She’s a good singer, not great but better then most in the competition!, just got the villain edit! But she has a fan base that rallies around her! Vino was boring!!! I think PAige lost her audience and credibility when she said “I didn’t care if I sound good I wanted emotion” Or something like that

• Calli says:

She’s good like Brit is good. Pretty enough that they know they can fix her average, usually off-key vocals and let her lip sync and wiggle once this is over.

• jaxguy says:

I like CeCe. She did do an about face since the early days,but she has potential. BUT…..if you listen to her sing she hits some awful notes. By far the worst of all the contestants. While I found Paige’s voice thin and uninspiring I find CeCe’s sharp and sometimes unpleasant. I know my TV works fine so it has to be her. I’m not trying to trash CeCe, but she really does try too hard or gets too nervous or something because she HAS been the most “pitchy” singer this season.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

She (CeCe) didn’t seem as pitchy until it went live before a national audience and she had the beat down. Maybe I’m not remembering it correctly, but wasn’t her pitch pretty solid when she was live before the judges or audition audiences? Odd thing is when she nails the pitch on the big glory notes recently then she sometimes misses the others and when she nails the regular notes then she seems to miss the big glory note (since it went live before national audience and after the whole back story stuff had been shown). In some cases she sounded like nerves and choking up were tying up her throat, who knows.

I’m not quite sure how you can say CeCe is pitchy and then fail to mention Paige in that regard though, who some weeks has missed more notes than anyone I think. I don’t think Paige has a thin voice either. When she hits big notes it usually sounds fairly rich (if anything CeCe has sounded a touch thin at times on a big, high note?). But she does have a tendency to mumble through and swallow and chop off many lyrics that are not parts of big power notes. She was a bit better in that regard this week. If she could be trained to stop doing that and get better breathing technique she could be suddenly be a LOT better, especially if she proves able to hit pitch more (although if she does auto-tune top pop stuff I suppose that part might not matter), which to my ears at least, she has seemed to go way off the rails on at times (even the judge’s went to so far as to mention pitch issues with her once or twice).

• Dayrah says:

She’s the only act that isn’t boring as hell!

5. Every time my favorite goes home you guys don’t do a Reality Check/Idolotry. :( I never get to hear your thoughts on their eliminations…first Siobhan Magnus, now Beatrice

6. ben says:

Well, obviously Beatrice deserved to be in over CeCe… but otherwise this top six isn’t half bad.

7. dj says:

It must have been a shock for Vino to frolick in the top 3 and then plummet abruptly into the toilet. I thought he handled his exit like he handled his performances: with gritty honesty. I actually would have liked to see what he still had left to show us if only he had been allowed to sing something relevant.

I was kind of surprised that Demi didn’t send Diamond home. I would think Diamond would be more competition for Cece’s votes than Vino. And speaking of Cece, I don’t know who is voting for her except for Vote For the Worst.

• ChewedGum says:

“How long are you going to milk that “last week was Thanksgiving” excuse? We need us some Michael and Melinda.”

Well put! If Penske Jr. wants to be taken seriously and make it through the second round of Google’s paid partner cuts they need to fund a more robust system for producing video content. Things have to be on a schedule if you want to build an audience. This piecemeal approach has got to go! Have a second guest host lined up if Melinda cant. Have a best-of type show filmed and in the can for weeks when they cant put together a new one. And as cutesy as the editing is, its not the meat of the show so if its holding up production, be prepared to do with out and just use a two camera split screen.

Hurricane Sandy aside, This set of video content feels like such a step down from Slezak’s time on EW. So few interviews, such short pices and so many off weeks taken.

• Carla888 says:

While I enjoy the show, I agree with chewedgum above. These are such short filler pieces that I would almost prefer if Slezak passed the job to someone else. I adore them however I also feel talked down to. Why do reviews for TWO shows only take as long as a review for one? I am no math genius but something is wrong there. I know He has other jobs on tvline as well, but I followed him from EW. I expected more and this is three seasons of video that have seemed like snippets. I am almost considering returning to EW.

• Marianne says:

I thought about that too – why Demi didn’t send Diamond home. It would have made more sense strategically, but she’s been so harsh about Vino since the beginning, the producers probably told her she better “kick” him so she (the show) could maintain some semblance of credibility.

• soundscene says:

She kicked off Vino because Diamond consistently gets less votes. Vino is more of a threat. I’m not a fan of Vino, but if he had stayed, he probably would have outlasted Cece. Diamond may not.

• seattlejohn449 says:

read on another site a volatile Vino was FURIOUS backstage but manned up and was subsequently all smiley-face for the press…also that the audience was totally grooving on Vino when he sang and were completely shocked with the judges choices…it’s no surprise Demi voted Vino out since she has been dogging him all season but Simon has been supportive of Vino and then stabbed him in the back…what a freakin trainwreck

• teatime says:

After he was voted off, Vino even said on stage that he was surprised at what just happened. Seriously on all fronts he should have been the one saved except that the judges were trying to eliminate a potentially high-finishing contestant. They have been giving us the rankings. We all know he had been consistently in the 3rd spot and the other singer had been consistently voted lower than him. Simon could have a least tied the decision and let it go to the vote since he said they both sang well. He chose to make sure Vino was the one to go home.

• Sophie says:

Exactly! The juges eliminated the threat but am I the only one who believes the all production planned to get him out?
          I mean, the song choice was horrible, then having him against diamond. His vocals have been the best from the beginning except for Carly and Tate. It felt obvious they wanted him out and the juges seized an opportunity. They keep Cece for the drama and the element of surprise. There is no way she gets more votes than Vino or diamond! It feels like the audience has been manipulated. And I’m getting sick of Simon’s groups! The girls with all the pity edits and the fake bbf thing, and emblem 3 with their vocals always covered up and that annoying shritless blondie! If it goes on like this, Diamond is the next to go, than they’ll figure out a way to get rid of Tate and we’ll end up with carly losing against one of those horrible groups.

8. Kim says:

I’m so confused Paige over Cece?? I didn’t think Paige would win but I sure think more of her over Cece….She almost always butchers the song and when she doesn’t it’s just ok :(

• ChewedGum says:

Agree completely. Let him do brisk business in a small town country fair touring company. The man is nowhere near a credible artist with his ragged versions of boring songs. There is already one Kid Rock to be the store-bought gritty, troops-loving, fake red meat and jack daniels “USA rocker” character. We don’t need a lesser version of him circling the drain as well.

Fare well Vittorio Alanziotto, may your songbook always have a Nickeback song queued up and your tattoo needsle be somewhat sterilized.

9. what if simon and the producers know something about cece that we dont and she ends up being the highest selling xfactor alumn after this………………. Nah.

10. greysfan says:

How is Cece still in this competition? From when the top 16 came out she was the weakest and now she has made it to top 6? Seriously? America need to stop voting with their balls and start voting with their brains. She should have been eliminated when they each sent someone home. Sorry but it is how it is. Then they save her over Beatrice? Seriously? Sorry Simon yes there are 3 acts that are very good in this competition in Carly Rose, Tate and Fifth Harmony (who seem to get better each week) but its time you stop messing with this format. The show is hugely successful in the UK, Australia and other countries yet the American version seems to be lacking what makes X Factor so good and its not the talent, its the way the show is put together.

11. HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Well I caught the last 12 minutes or so, flipping over from the game, and saw the sing-off (don’t feel like wasting my time on too much of this show anymore). I wasn’t shocked that Paige went home earlier, a few too many off weeks to last at this point in the game (I actually thought she still swallowed some lyrics and had some pitch issues again, although she did improve that compared to the prior week no doubt and did get it going, so she was heading up. I still think she needs a serious few months or more of vocal training though. With that, maybe she could really be something, if she is capable of polishing a few things up. I could only judge it by viewing an online video of her this week though, she was given A- and said to have nailed it?, I don’t know, streaming video is poor quality maybe I didn’t hear it so well. I thought she sounded better on the Take My Breath away that everyone hated.).

DW and Vino were a tough bottom two. I’d rather have lost Emblem 3 or Tate tonight, or both, personally. And, to be fair, CeCe would have made more sense too at this time. DW did really well on her sing off and I was afraid Vino would do poorly and then they’d dump DW and it would be more of the same garbage. But then Vino did pretty well and Simon was actually in a legitimately tricky spot this week. A shame he and especially LA didn’t act like they were last week. In the end I’m glad he saved DW but it did seem a shame to toss Vino after that sing for your life when there were other people who could’ve been bottom two instead (although I read that Vino had a total, flat out debacle this week?).

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

It is still a bit hard to take Beatrice not being in that top six and how LA and Simon seemed to basically think nothing of it. That was the final shark jump for me.

• BarbL says:

I was firmly in Vino’s corner, but when you have a mentor who undermines your act, what can one expect? LA talked Vino into scuttling his planned song, and switched him to a song that was totally wrong for him. The day before the show.
      And they talked about Nichole being a lousy mentor–at least she wasn’t obviously sabotaging Josh. It was obvious from LA’s actions that he didn’t have faith in Vino.
      There was nothing Vino did that would have been worse for him than his mentor undermining his confidence the way LA did. The song LA had him sing could not have been any worse than the one Vino planned.
      I have no use for the singers who are left, other than some hope that Tate makes it to the top (doubtful now, as Carley has an obvious following), and that Diamond makes it to #2 at least, though she won’t take it all if past voting trends are correct (to wit: she/he who lands in the bottom at any given time shall never win.)
      I’m leaving X Factor in a snit for the rest of this season, have no interest in the Voice, won’t probably watch American Idol as I’m boycotting them until they open the age maximum up to allow older folks sing.
      It’s going to be a dry rest of the singing competition year for me, unfortunately.

• Ted Sutton says:

You could not be more wrong about Nichole. The last time you really heard Josh’s voice was at the judges house. All his live show performances were ruined by bad song choices and bad arrangements. They buried him in overproduction. Fog machines, wind machines, the shower of sparks, way too many dancers, and too much audio besides the singers voice. And that BarbL, you can lay firmly at the feet of his mentor, Nichole. She cost him a recording contract.

• BarbL says:

Actually, Josh is getting that contract. He’s in talks right now with LA.
          After reading your response, I had to re-read what I wrote. I didn’t say Nichole was a good mentor–just not as obvious about been bad as LA.
          Actually, I was rather vocal last year concerning what Nichole was doing to Josh. But LA stated right up front that he wasn’t thrilled about having the “overs” category–and I think his lack of sticking up for Vino showed that LA simply didn’t believe in him.

• seattlejohn449 says:

I would loved to have heard Vino sing “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” …a beautiful, soulful song both Teddy Pendergast and Thelma Houston had great success with…don’t know what LA was thinking as You’ve Lost that Lovin Feeling is known as a Simon personal favorite that easily brings out his inner snark if not performed perfectly and I thought the arrangement of the song is what made it sound dated and unappealing…I like Carly and these teen singers might sing well but they don’t know how to inhabit their songs emotionally and really sing the crap out of them like Vino does so effortlessly

12. BarbL says:

I know it’s trite, but I’m not watching the rest of the season. No reason to–the most interesting voice (Vino’s) has been sent home, and whats left is…uninspiring to me. I won’t dis the others, though some (I’m looking at you, E3) keep making that a temptation.
    I voted for Josh last year, and Vino this. No reason now to miss my other favorite programing.

• Marianne says:

I think young Carly Rose has a very “..interesting voice”. Her tone is pretty amazing. Too bad she’s so rehearsed / overly-dramatic / robotic. She really needs to show she’s FEELING something rather than ACTING something (pretty tough order for a youngster with such limited life experiences). A huge part of the problem is finding appropriate material for a 13-year-old . . . that’s also challenging and, at least, a little bit recognizable. Nobody wants to hear Disney songs – – or do we? nah

• BarbL says:

What you’ve said about Carly is the reason I think Cowell and Co. have made a huge mistake lowering the age minimum that low. Kids can, perhaps sing well–Carly certainly does. But it’s pantomime. She can, perhaps, sing “Some Day My Prince Will Come” with authority, but not what she’s been singing. I don’t blame her–I blame the producers.
        Unfortunately for me, I simply don’t resonate with anyone left in the competition. If I had to choose, though, I’d go for the girl group for having the most assembled talent in the bunch.

13. Maddie Mae says:

the top 6 is right except for CeCe.. She should’ve gone home!!!!

14. Danny says:

I agree with a lot of the posters about Ce Ce. I’d add in Sanjaya3 in there too. I get why they’re still around. They keep getting way to many props from Simon. Simon’s the producer, so his guys will stick around. As bad as Ce Ce is, those guys are worse. CeCe doesn’t get the advantage of having a staged group of people chasing her. I’ve got to believe somewhere out there is some guy holding a “CeCe” sign in case he happens to run into her as she goes shopping. Then a bunch of guys “chasing” her as she trots away. Why aren’t they showing that?

I thought the sing off was the best this show has had. Both those acts (and a few others already eliminated) should have been ahead of CeCe & Sanjaya3.

15. Damian says:

Whoa! This blogger really has a hard on for Mario Lopez. All I ever see is criticisms of Khloe K but she’s not the one that consistently flubs or steals lines. Sure she doesn’t emote at all but she’s not terrible but he’s the worst and now I’m mad i defended a kardashian because I absolutely am repulsed by them

16. dilia says:

vinos sing off song was better than diamond. and why is cece still there
    vino has a special voice. my favorite in the competition tbh

17. Jay says:

Who is voting for CeCe? Hmm maybe several of her 260k+ fans on twitter? I mean just because you hate her, doesn’t mean the rest of the world does too. She might not have the best voice but she is easily the most entertaining. I mean, we live in a world where Katy Perry brakes records held by Michael Jackson, and Rihanna is the most popular singer in the world. Truth be told, it’s not just about the voice.

In the end does it matter? The X-Factor doesn’t even have that big of a fanbase unlike AI or TheVoice, and yet here we are.

• Sophie says:

You are right and Britney being a judge attracts all her fanbase too. That means a lot if people wanting a show, and not caring about bad singing.
      That is just sad… I really hope Tate, Carly or even Diamond wins, to prove there are still people caring about good singing and pretty voices!

18. teatime says:

Vino was in third place for the past 3 weeks. He had one bad song and ended up in jeopardy. So the judges sent him home? That is bogus. After this week’s performance it did not look like he would last long. But he deserved a chance to come back next week and sing something more current. Maybe this scare would have prompted LA to change things up next week. What is the point of these judge weighing in if they just use it as an opportunity to get rid of good singers who have a bad song choice? They were so sure CeCe would be in the bottom, they did not know what to do when they got faced with sending home one of two more consistent contestants.

• lara says:

I think Demi and Simon saw this as an opportunity to get rid of a threat who has been at the top for most of the competition.

• BarbL says:

I think you’re right.

• TC says:

I think this is the flaw of the sing-for-your-life format — My suggestion for fixing it would be to have the judges write down their “vote” and then do a reveal… I think there could be more deadlocks that goes back to America’s ranking votes.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

It doesn’t make sense to have them pretend to be impartial and always doing what is best and having sing offs and yet have teams. All it leads to is fake-looking BS. Either skip the sing-offs and the pretext, lower the prize money, make the show be a fun, silly battle where everyone knows each judge is out to knock-off the other teams and make a big deal abotu how you better vote other the judge’s will scheme a vote off your favorite threat! and make it so it’s all out there and it’s thus no shame if you get booted early.

Either that or forget all that and forget all the scripts (AI!,XF?) and team games (XF) on these shows and do treat it totally 100% seriously. XFactor and AI, in particular, try to have it both ways.

• BarbL says:

Vino’s problem was having a mentor who didn’t believe in him and gave the guy the worst possible song for him. I mean…Righteous Brothers? Now, the Righteous Brothers were my favorites back when they were new–yes I’m that old. I love them. But this was about as wrong for Vino as it gets.
      Vino was soul, he was grit, he was about leaving his still beating heart on the stage. He needed to channel his inner Joe Cocker and his inner rocker. Not the RB’s.
      I didn’t think Vino’d make it through if he got into a sing-off. This was a prime opportunity for Simon et al to get rid of a major threat to his kids. It’s the nature of this particular beast, and it sucks. It’s also the only way Simon could get his groups to get anywhere near the top 4.
      Unfortunately, Vino made it easier by having a bad week.
      I wish the best for the guy, he has a lot of heart.

• Mary says:

I hope you understand they bussed Vino. Simon wanted his group of guys to move up and the only way to do it was to knock off Vino. LA purposely changed the song knowing full well he would be in the bottom. Grant you Vino was not my pick but what the show did to him sucks.

• Mark says:

Not to get too deep into conspiracy theory territory here, but I believe this was a calculated move by the producers (aka Simon) to remove Vino (via LA’s last minute song switch sabotage) followed by the nigh-unanimous vote off in order to boost Tate’s vote ratio. While I don’t believe a huge majority of Vino’s fans will lend their support to Tate based on an appreciation for the country crooner’s voice, they may invest their votes out of spite to try and knock down Carly and Diamond by a peg or two.

Think about it, Diamond isn’t going to win this thing, she’s not a real threat for the big prize, so it’s safe to keep her around, just as it benefits the judges to keep Cece around as a pawn to sacrifice when the time is right. Diamond probably also cuts into Carly’s voting ratio, again ensuring that Tate has an advantage.

Tate needs the win to sell records to country fans more than Carly needs the win as she can easily sell music to people who are willing to appreciate a great vocal performance now, and have the patience to wait for more life experience and an even greater vocal ability to further enhance said innate talent in the future. Carly’s going to be fine regardless of the outcome of this show. She could probably infuse new life into Glee, return triumphantly to Broadway in much larger roles than she previously played, sell to the niche market mentioned above until her marketability (probably at 16 or 17) beyond talent shows will broaden, or do all of the above.

I believe the producers see the largest potential in Emblem 3 (who are actually quite good, but only when performing their own material. I suggest youtubing ‘Emblem 3 Indigo’ to see their true potential, quickly followed by ‘Drew Chadwick Heaven Awaits’ where “the blond one who can’t keep his shirt on” demonstrates some pretty impressive musicianship with his accoustic guitar on original instrumental material. These guys, believe it or not, are what you’d get if you gene spliced Green Day, the Beastie Boys, and Maroon 5 when Levine is in a silly mood, and wrapped them up in young pretty-boy faces.These guys can make a lot of money for Simon, but they need to demonstrate said original material closer to the finale when there is less focus on a slew of competitors.

One direction came in either third or fourth on their XFactor UK run, so I don’t think Simon has a problem with them losing. In fact, it will probably play into their ‘cred’ factor if they lose; as long as they don’t lose BIG.

Long story short; Simon wants the finale to shake down as follows:
        Winner: Tate Stevens
        Runner-up: Carly Rose Sonenclar
        Third place: Emblem 3

Simon may give a rat’s ass about Fifth Harmony, but based on his completely disinterested expression while they performed, I’m thinking he’s made the decision to throw his full focus on marketing Emblem 3 as the ‘true’ winners of the season.

• Mark says:

One more bit of evidence that Emblem 3 are not analogous to Sanjaya. Youtube ‘Emblem3 – True Friends (accoustic)’

I’ve included the link for all those who, quite understandably based on their XFactor performances, question why the hell L.A. Reid and Simon see dollar signs whenever the boys walk on stage. Emblem 3’s look/image is only 50% of the story.

• Mary says:

For me 50% too much. They might be the most talented guys on earth but sorry the perception they give off does not entice me to look up their original work. Chris Brown has talent but I won’t buy his music either. Confidence is one thing cockiness is another. I’m sure I do not fall in their demographics anyhow.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Do you really think he wants XFactor to become known as another country-dominated voting show? Sure the country acts tend to have the easiest success afterwards and it may look good in that regard but

• teatime says:

@Mark you make a Lot of good points. B

• teatime says:

Doh. I hit enter by accident. Here’s the rest of my statement…
            I am sure Simon wants Emblem 3 in first place and maybe Tate in 3rd. Tate can still sell some music coming in 3rd. 5 mil is a lot of money that will give his group a lot of promotion. Now that they are already up to 3rd place they are in the running for 1st. He can start telling Tate next week that he is a great guy but he always sounds the same.

• Sophie says:

I completly agree on the producer and LA sabotaging Vino! And it is clear Simon only cares about emblem3 but He’s trying to create the new one direction with them. They have style and are commercial but we cannot hear a lot of their vocals.

19. Leigha says:

Khole is useless.

20. Lana says:

I like emblem 3 and loved the Monkees song but was shocked when my husband liked them too. He doesn’t like any of the singing shows but he put up with my watching my taping of it and he liked them and CeCe. Of course I don’t think that had anything to do with how CeCe sounded. I love Tate too and normally Vino but not last night, but he sang soo much better than Diamond tonight. She was flat all the way through her song but I told my husband before either sang that Demi hated Vino so no matter how awful Diamond was she would vote Vino off. Simon should have let it go to dead heat, it would have been interesting to see who America really voted off. I’ve liked Emblem 3 from the beginning even though their attitude is the pits, but I like the way they sing and I think it would be fun to see them use their instruments. I wonder why Simon won’t let them? Are they really bad at playing them? They aren’t my favorites so I won’t cry when they go but I do find them entertaining and not as boring as Fifth Harmony or most everyone else except Tate. Beatrice and Jannel were not boring but they are gone so…

• gregk says:

I actually have to admit I watched the Monkees during the 60’s, but they had more fun and appeal to me then than Emblem 3 does now (although I enjoyed the “tribute”). Maybe because the Monkees monkeed around?

• TheBeach says:

Emblem 3…I think the two brothers are both likable and the more talented of the three. Although I’ll admit the blond guy has some massive shoulders,, he seems to be a bit of a wackadoodle and not always “there”…and enough of the crotch-grabbing, MuscleDude.

21. Owen says:

Thought I’d share with you what a REAL writer/recapper (the amazing Dave Holmes of Vulture) wrote regarding the same thing Slezak just really couldn’t articulate. This guy does it with sass, humor and intelligence:

“Carly Rose is doing “Rolling in the Deep,” which makes me say UGH out loud, and not just because I’ve heard that song enough for twelve lifetimes. Here’s the deal: It’s bad enough that it was originally written and sung by a 21-year-old with that level of weary wisdom; I don’t think I can handle a 13-year-old doing it. She is indeed a prodigy, but so what? There is a reason we don’t allow even the very best children to drive cars or vote. I don’t want to see a tween who smashes cupcakes into her big brother’s face turn around and sing about laying my sh*t bare. Sorry — I just don’t. Anyway, of course it’s flawless. I have a complicated relationship with this little girl who doesn’t know me.”

• dj says:

If you don’t like Michael, don’t read his stuff. I think they are both good.

• Marianne says:

You are absolutely right about Carly. Idol has a hard enough time doling out age-appropriate songs for their 16-year-old contestants. Just think how difficult it is to do so for these 13-year-olds. (Beatrice never had the “right” song after Judges’ homes). I guess they could do Disney crap. Maybe they shouldn’t allow under-16’s to audition? The most appropriate choice, so far, for Carly was Somewhere Over The Rainbow – – it was also my favorite performance of hers. Are there enough songs like this? Probably. I just don’t think the show (producers) are trying hard enough to find these types of songs for the youngsters – or they think the audience will be bored? It’s definitely a conundrum.

• soundscene says:

Carly is in a tough situation. Some people believe she’s too experienced and criticize her for being a “plant” (another way of saying she’s just too good for the competition, except using that as an insult). Some people believe she can’t sing certain songs because she lacks the experience required (Slezak has had this issue with a number of young contestants over the years he’s been reporting on these shows, so that’s not a surprise). However, she would likely drop in the votes if she were to suddenly switch to teen pop. X Factor voters aren’t teens, by and large; they’re middle aged women. Same with all the other singing competition shows. Most middle aged women are just fine and dandy with her singing power ballads about love and loss, because she can sing the crap out of them. If she were to suddenly go teen and dancey, it would probably make Slezak and some folks on here happy, but chances are she would suffer in the votes.

Actually, though, if she were to sing a Disney ballad–that would probably still get her votes. People love Disney ballads. But she can’t just sing Disney ballads, nor should she have to.

Perhaps they should raise the age limit if the really, really good teen singers always get straddled with this type of criticism. (Note: Diamond is good, but she likely doesn’t get criticized in the same way because she’s simply not *as* good; she hits wrong notes; the song sounds more juvenile on her lips because she sings it like a juvenile).

• Mary says:

I understand what you are saying however, there are upbeat songs and even slower songs that she could sing that aren’t about unrequited love. I believe Diamond has been criticized, though I do not blame her, for covering Whitney I think 3 times. I know pop music sucks today but I thought Xfactor was looking for a pop star that would play on the radio today. Britney needs to give Carly a fun song that makes it believable that she would be a recording artist. We all know she can sing the crap out of a song, but to be fair will she be a viable recording artist at this stage of her life.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

To be fair the Whitney song Diamond White covered this week was hardly a song for older singers. Whitney was pretty young when she came out with that and it was about as light-hearted and youth-aimed as could be.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Yeah I was just thinking, the whole 13 year old group, really doesn’t perhaps quite make sense for the show. Sure, OTOH, we have had some of the most interesting and best contestants be from the 14 and unders, in part because the show might have access to a pool of talent that has been less picked over already by record companies. BUT:

1. it is a harsh business and it really couldn’t hurt for probably 80% of them to not get too much serious exposure until a few years later. I don’t know.

2. how do you actually market them right away as pop sensations? X-Factor seems to be aimed quite in that direction. Sure Beatrice had enough connection and interesting tone that she could carry off anything they needed and would have SOUNDED absolutely fine and could have carried off whatever without trouble, better than most of the contestants they’ve had, BUT can anyone become an X-Factor-like pop sensation without the backing of HS and college students? I wonder. And the thing is I can’t help but feel that most HS and college students don’t feel it’s cool to listen to pop sensation-type singers who are in middle school (or even worse grade school as I think at least one was in last season) and not at least in HS no matter how good or mature for their years they can sing (has anyone other than JoJo EVER pulled that off to any degree at all? And they had her sing and act like she was already in HS). Even Britney and Whitney were not huge sensations at 12 or 13.

So unless you are something outside of the regular mainstream pop it might be tough to make the youngest group have success the first few years.

Jackie Evancho did pull it off as did someone on the opposite age spectrum, Susan Boyle. They have had huge success, but note that one is an opera-style singer and one a show tunes sort of singer. In both their cases their age was actually a bonus since it’s unusual for someone that young to do opera or someone that not so young to do show tunes so that actually gives it all some extra pull.

Actually going by that, Carly might actually be one who could have a lot of instant success since she can sing in ways that she wouldn’t have to be a pure pop sensation of the type who must pull in HS/college/20-somethings and might be able to pull off sort of a cross between Jackie and Susan?

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

Why does this forum insist on removing hard carriage returns. It makes it impossible to read posts from anyone that are more than one or two sentences long………

22. Callum says:

I voted for CeCe. She is easily the most entertaining and if you just forget about staying on tune for a minute you’d realize that she is really fun. She’s my only hope to win, now that both Beatrice and Vino are gone. I would have put Vino through instead of Diamond but I guess last night’s performance dragged him down. Also, I’m guessing Simon wanted to take down one of L.A’s acts while he had the chance– he probably thought that LA was his biggest threat.

Also, Pepsi challenge: [I'm not completely satisfies with these, but I'm close to finished.]

Carly: ‘Your Song’
    I think that this song would be best for Carly because she hasn’t really shown a soft, nice, emotional side of her. As long as she doesn’t whip out too many huge notes, I think this would be the best for her. ‘If I Were a Boy’ isn’t very much different that what she’s done and I don’t think it would raise her on that rankings anymore and Tate could take #1. ‘I Just Can’t Stop Loving You’ didn’t seem right for her because she needs to relate to what she’s singing, and she hasn’t really done that. I doubt that she would feel true love towards anyone at her age.

CeCe: ‘Part of Me’
    She did a cover of this, and I thought she did pretty good. I think that they should have given the option of a slower song to CeCe, like they did everyone else. Anyways, ‘So What’ wouldn’t be good for her, I don’t think. It’s more of a rock song, and I’m not sure that it would make fans vote. With ‘Die Young’ I think it would be a bit like ‘Eye of the Tiger’ or ‘Because the Night’. So, yeah. ‘Part of Me’.

Diamond: ‘Mercy’
    I know that she just did an upbeat song, but the other two choices just didn’t seem right for her. Nothing much else to say.

Emblem3: ‘Forever Young’
    I think they really need to show that they can connect with the audience, and I think that it could be the rise for them like when Phillip Phillips did ‘We’ve Got Tonight’. ‘Marry You’ did not seem right for them at all, and they would just make ‘I Gotta Feeling’ into every other song they’ve done.

Fifth Harmony: ‘Anything Could Happen’
    I think that ‘What Makes You Beautiful’ would be too easy and they wouldn’t change much to it at all. I think that he parts are already set out in that song, so basically it would just be karaoke. ‘Give Your Heart a Break’ is pretty much like all the other songs they’ve done, besides a couple. But I think I would just get bored. With ‘Anything Could Happen’, I think it would be a big challenge for them to try to get parts set out, and I think that this could be the big break they didn’t get yesterday. They could really dance to this song, they could really have fun with it. But… it’s also the most risky; that’s why I picked it for them.

Tate Stevens: ‘She’s Country’
    ‘The Dance’ is way too high for him, and definitely not the right one. I don’t think he would be able to stay on tune and I think it would be a train wreck if he did that one. ‘If Tomorrow Never Comes’ is pretty much what he’s been doing, so… ‘She’s Country’ could either bring back this week’s, which was really bad, or when he did ‘Dead or Alive’. If he did it like he did that song, he could take back number one from Carly.

• teatime says:

I think you’ve picked good songs for everyone.

• Mary says:

Your picks are good however I think Carly needs to do an uptempo song – age appropriate. She has a fantastic voice but I am getting bored with her song choices. RITD was a little more up beat but it didn’t wow me.

• JO says:

I agree, she’s completely boring and needs to change it up. Yes she’s too good but she’s also had experience eventhough she’s super young, but regardless if she wins, she’ll get a deal out of this for sure. Which is why I’d rather seen an underdog win, such as Tate who deserves it and would really benefit from the 5 million dollars. You can see he really wants it for his family and future. Carly will have no problem in the business, she’s pretty much in it already, hope she comes in second although I’m sure she’ll win.

• HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy says:

How can Carly need to change it up because she is same old boring and then your pick to win over her is, of all contestants, Tate? His GENRE is same old, same old, never mind even getting to his singing. When the last country singer won AI, EVERY single song, no matter the week’s genre, was done in the EXACT same style, not a hint of anything ever was done differently. Tate does sound like a nice guy though.

23. Lucy says:

The show it self is really a joke. I am not sure who is voting, but not people who really know talent, or would even buy (or support) an album by almost all these contestants. Cece would not have a long career even if she made it to number 1. Tate could have a fairly good career in the country market. The rest, people just vote based on….. well not sure what they vote on. Vote for the person you feel would be good as an artist with substance!!! Not on their stories (good or bad). Believe this is an artist you would buy an album from now and 4 or 5 years from now.

• seattlejohn449 says:

it’s telling that the singers don’t pick what they sing or have much creative input into what happens when they perform because the producers and the mentors make these choices…which makes who they project themselves as is some distorted alternative version staged for X-Factor… whoever gets signed and emerge as viable recording artists will again be studio product merchandised to move units and not fulfill artistic temperments and dreams…having said all that I would like to see CeCe do a stripped-down, non-theatrical performance of something personal and emotionally resonant in her natural hair color and little or no make-up (no trademark skin foo foo, too) singing something laid back and reigned in without those strained glory notes…and no interference by Demi whatsoever…the same girl who sang a confident Whitney Houston song beautifully during auditions

24. J says:

Funny, a simple CTR + F and searching the page for “CeCe” can tell you that she is mentioned more than twice than any other participant. Maybe it’s just all of you that can’t stop talking about her!

25. teatime says:

3 out of 8 acts had dancers dancing around them this week. They finished 8th (Paige), 7th or 6th (Diamond), and 5th (CeCe). Emblem 3 had a 4 female dancers in the background but the camera had to pan over to them a couple times for us to even see them.

26. Tim says:

Let’s get behind CeCe and get her the $5 million dollars. Just because we can.

27. dumas1000 says:

CeCe and Tate are the most commercially viable acts on this entire show. CeCe is right where she belonged from the very beginning, either 5th or 6th. Vino and Diamond White should have gone. They had the poorest performances the night before. Fifth Harmony should be eliminated every week, not so much due to their peformances, although they are very stiff and make no real attempt to entertain, but because there is no market for them. Their commercial viablity is zero. I can’t think of a one successful female girl group in the last decade. Paige Thomas did not deserve an elimination based upon her last performance, but she should have finished somewhere around 10th anyway. Carly-Rose will win, but I think she is weak as an entertainer. She sings well for her age, but she doesn’t really do anything else. She doesn’t sing anywhere near as well as Adele, or Christina Aguilera, or Whitney Houston, or Celine Dion. I don’t think her commercial viability is high. CeCe has a better chance of selling records then Carly-Rose.

28. broncfanwa says:

Not just no, but HELL no. CeCe should have gone 3 weeks ago, and Diamond DID go weeks ago, so why are both of them still here?????

29. dumas1000 says:

Look, way too many people tend to associate one’s commercial viability with their raw ability to sing. Needless to say, that is a huge mistake. Can Carly-Rose sing better then CeCe. Of course. Is Carly-Rose more equipped to sell albums then CeCe? Absolutely not. In another 5-10 years, perhaps. But I doubt it. Unless Carly-Rose develops the ability to sing like Adele, then she will have to find some other means to compensate. Her voice is good, but its not good enough out within the “real world” to be able to stand there and just sing and do nothing else and expect that to work. Adele has a top 1 percent on the face of the planet singing voice, so she can’t get away with it. Carly-Rose, like all the rest of us 99 percent, is not on that level.

30. teatime says:

I am having trouble imagining Carly winning this show. The show really seems to be trying to set itself apart by having a lot of dancers crazy lighting and elaborate sets. Every time the judges vote, they save the pop female who is comfortable with singing amidst a bunch of dancers. It seems like Carly would be an odd season champion for a show like this.

• gregk says:

Although her performances did not feature lights/dancers/etc, Jackie Evancho almost and should have won America’s Got Talent when she was 10. My wife and I became instant fans of hers and bought her CD’s. She sung like an angel rather than an alien!

• Lisa says:

It’s a matter of taste. I’m not a fan of child-like operatic voices. I found Jackie Evancho to be grating, although I admit she’s very talented. I prefer Carly’s voice, which is more pop based. Perhaps Slezak doesn’t get the “she’s too young for this” vibe from Diamond because Diamond actually hits off notes sometimes. At least once or twice in every performance. I suppose it makes her more “real.” And Carly has to perform against other singers, not commedians and dancers and jugglers, so the comparisons are more readily there. Also, AGT’s audience skews a lot older.

Simon is very calculating — he knows what he’s doing when he calls Carly an “alien.” He’s hoping enough people will start thinking “robotic” and “stage kid” and start voting for his “real kids” — Emblem3 and Fifth Harmony. He has experience sabotaging young contestants with preturnaturaly mature voices that seem to do too well against his favorites. He’s done it before. Anytime somebody actually quotes his “alien” comment, you know he’s succeeding.

• a482972 says:

The over-the-top production is a carryover from the UK version which is much more campy than the US. Trying to be globally consistent I think. I haven’t caught any of the Australian or Eastern Europe shows, but I’m guessing they are likewise over produced.

31. Lynda says:

I think that the right two went home tonight, although I would have rather seen
    Emblem 3 in the bottom 2 for singoff. As for winning the whole thing, I think Carly although very exceptional is way too young to be able to handle the pressure of show business yet. My pick for the winner would be Tate, although I am not a great country music fan. He has had the most consistency of the 6 that are left. Fifth Harmony are good but not good enough yet to win the coveted prize. They should still get a contract from one of the labels. CeCe is not that bad and I really enjoyed her performance last night. Diamond White is also good but not consistent also still too young for handling the pressures of show business. Vino to me has only had one good week and that was when he sang Lee Greenwood’s song. I think Paige would have done better with another mentor. I’m sorry but it seems like Demi Lovato is only there to say “I’m 20″ my opinion on that is you need to learn some respect for others. I’m not a Simon fan by any means but he has made some of the best artists in the business, although usually he drops his UK male artists (all of them) within 18 months of them winning and some of them have gone on to prove he was wrong in dropping them. Two questions for the producers of the show, (1) Why does USA-XFactor not have a group song for all the artists that are there like they do on the UK-XFactor? (2) When is Melanie Amaro going to be on the show to let us hear last years winner?

Ok venting done.

• pmcd says:

This notion of a 13 year old being too young is odd given that youth is typically a huge advantage in music, athletics and the Arts in general. You have very young pianists and violinist appearing with world class orchestras. That is also a huge pressure filled situation. You are only young once and despite current thinking age and experience is not all its made out to be. There seems to be another myth floating around that you can only express feeling by not thinking. This can only come from an anti-intellectual society that fails to appreciate true talent and training. I love country music and like Tate. He does not compare in any way to Carly in terms of talent or potential. Basically a very nice guy who is an ok singer. There are far more country talents out there. I find it odd that he continues to be as popular as he seems to be. Page did not deserve to go home this week, especially after giving an excellent performance. As far as Cece goes, I don’t know what happened to her. When she was considered unlikable she sang really well. Ever since she was told to become likeable she seems to have forgotten how to sing. Really strange. I assume she has totally lost her self-confidence. Beatrice was similar to Drew last year. Very talented but very monotonous and it didn’t help that she was obviously sick. Her emotional reaction to the possibility of being sent home was enough to convince me Simon did her a favour.

I think Carly would make a great addition to Glee. She should win this. No-one else is even close.

32. Tony says:

This was CeCe’s best week, but she’s still terrible. She doesn’t entertain me or impress me. She should have been gone long ago. I already miss the flavor Lyric 145 brought to the competition. I imagine the very talented Carly Rose is going to win- I can see Tait picking up a few of Vino’s voters, but most of the people voting country are already doing so. As more singers go home, more of the vote will be skewed towards Carly Rose

• Kevin c says:

I can see voters finally getting disgusted at all the manipulation and voting against Carly though.

• soundscene says:

Manipulation in favor of Carly? What? Look, I actually want Tate to win, but I don’t see them trying to manipulate the audience to vote for Carly. Actually, I think Simon is planting the “alien,” “robotic,” “stage kid” seed against Carly. Does anybody on here think that Simon is trying to *get* Carly votes by calling her an alien? And she’s been straddled with songs that people criticize as being “too old” for her. The X Factor is actually making the vote public and people are voting for her–a lot. That’s not manipulation. She’s actually just really good.

• Pedro says:

Is that why after Tate was #1 we had Divas Week where he got the Death Spot and she got the Pimp Spot?

• pmcd says:

No, people like Tate. But he’s a mediocre(+) country singer who just seems to be a really nice guy. He is clearly getting the country vote but I suspect that is pretty stable. Anyone who actually enjoys listening to a great voice and excellent interpretation skills is going to move to Carly.

33. gregk says:

Alicia is channeling Jim (Light My Fiii-aaaah) Morrison.

34. Graham says:

Could we have Chloe and Mario do a “cue card reading for survival” and then we can vote them both off?

• fabian says:

That is HILARIOUS i would love to see that.

• Dawn says:

Both Cloe and Mario are awful and are ruining the show. They need to go. It feels like they are scraping the barrel. Actually Mario is okay but Cloe is really bad.

• Dayrah says:

I just want to punch her in the face every time she says “And I’M Khloe Kardashian Odom” with the same freakin inflection in her voice like a robot every week. ugh….

Mario isn’t much better; he is so boring. If you want to see what a real host should be like, I suggest you watch the X Factor UK where the host Dermot O’Leary has loads of charisma!! Look up Dermot O’Leary dancing compilation on YouTube and you can see how he makes his entrances on the show. He’s awesome.

35. Lisa says:

This show has lost all credibility,it’s obvious that the judges choose the contestant that is the least of a threat to their own.Vino had been number 3 and had one off week while Diamond has been consistently lower but Simon and Demi jumped at the chance to get rid of him because he could easily have jumped back up to the top.it was the same with Beatrice. How ridiculous to have Cece make it this far when her performances have been downright awful and painful to watch.

• a482972 says:

Not sure that judges bias is that big a problem since competitors cancel each other and there are two others; however there are plenty of credibility issues with the show.

36. Kelm says:

Vino was sabotaged, just like Lyric 145.

• BarbL says:

What Cowell et al did with Lyric 145 was criminal.

• Dawn says:

Kelm, I agree with you. Simon needs to look at these posts and see what the fans of this show are saying. I am still a some what fan of American Idol but as of now the Voice is the only one that has it right and has it going on.

37. Shy says:

What is with those double eliminations every week? How many of those were last year? Wasn’t there only one double elimination last year? Now I think it’s 3-d double this year.
    It’s like they saw how low ratings are and want to finish show quick with less expensive live shows.
    How CeCe is still on this show amazes me. She souldn’t be in top-13 at all.
    I’m not sorry that Vino is gone. He is nice man. I did like him at first. But he is just boring. Because every song from him sounds like one. The way he sings them – it’s like he sings one freaking song every week.
    Emblem 3 has the same problem. Their songs look the same too.

• JO says:

I think it’s because they fooled around too much this season and started the live shows late, so now they have to wrap the competition up before Christmas.

38. George B says:

Skidmark must go. She is both awful and annoying.

39. Dave Walls says:

I’m so glad I gave up on this show. It’s an absolute joke.

40. DF says:

The top 6 is right except for Diamond White

41. kate says:

I’m really getting sick of your tone with these recaps. Like, we get it: You hate the show this season. But do we really need several “omg I hate this show it’s too long it’s brutal” reminders throughout the entirety of the recap? Because ostensibly, the people who are reading your thoughts like the show and don’t really need the excessive and unfunny complaining.

• Mary says:

Kate if you don’t like the tone of the recaps easy solution don’t read them. I for one enjoy his recaps more than other bloggers. The show is a hot mess and somehow Michael makes it tolerable with his remarks. He can put into words what a lot of us are thinking.

42. Alienate says:

Who said I “like” this show? I “watch” this show, hoping against hope that they may suddenly fix it from a craptastic train wreck into a decent talent competition. :)

43. Dawn says:

So much to say don’t know where to begin. Vino should not of gone home. It makes no sense to be down at the bottom one time and the next week go home. How many times as CeCe been down. In fact Diamond was already out and brought her back. While no doubt neither should of been there, Vino out sang Diamond White by far. As for the show, it sucks, Brittany has zero personality compared to the other 3 judges and Demi is still way to young to even be considered a good judge though I do like her spunk, which is more than I can say for Brittany. Bring back Paula or at least someone with experience and personality but please get rid of Cloe and the other guy, they both suck. Simon should of taken Ryan Seacrest with you or found someone with personality. Next year look for a new judge, I say Janet Jackson would be a good pick.

44. Pedro says:

SLEZAK and I have different definitions for ‘overnight’…

• Ariadna Oller Mitjanas says:

It’s no longer on the post, I think he updated it quite early and just forgot to delete the line, then it took a while to realize it and therefore delete it.

45. BarbL says:

I’ve noticed that people aren’t blogging or reviewing X Factor very much this year. There’s not that much interest in the outcome. Cowell and his producers will continue their downward momentum viewer-wise unless they listen to the people who actually make up their demographics.
    Raise the minimum age to 16, at least make an effort to incorporate the “overs” to be actually older people (I mean…25 in the overs group?? Come on now, really?), stop pretending that the judges are unbiased–they do the singers and the audience a disservice when they attempt to appear impartial.
    As a matter of fact, either scrap the “mentor” image altogether, or actually mentor. Communication being what it is, the word is getting out that the “mentors” are essentially in name only. Cowell, et al hardly see these singers.
    And when a “mentor” selects a really bad song, as LA did when he chose the Righteous Brother’s “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling” the day before the live shows, the contestant needs to be strong and secure enough to tell him NO. I know how much pressure is put on the singers to conform to what the producers want–I’ve seen it more than once on these talent shows. Judges like LA Reid and Cowell are leaders in a cut-throat world. They know how to manipulate people to get a desired end, and obviously have no problem using less experienced peoples trust against them.
    By the way? “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” is one of my all time favorite songs, and I’d have loved to hear Vino sing it. I love the R.B.’s, but the song LA selected is one of my least faves. LA threw Vino under the bus, and didn’t even bother to be subtle about it.

46. syb says:

LOL, I can tell Michael likes this show about as much as I do. Fortunately, I guess i don’t have to watch it for work and can just come here for the zingers!.