Ratings: Arrow Ticks Up, Supernatural Slips

Get More: News, Ratings

The CW’s Arrow continues to fly straight, this Wednesday drawing 3.7 million total viewers while scoring a 1.3 demo rating in the Nielsen finals, up a tenth from its last fresh episode. And how about that Well-Dressed Man reveal? That possible identity wasn’t even on my radar.

Supernatural, however, led out of that with 2.07 mil and a 0.8, slipping 11 percent and two tenths.

The night’s big gainer was The X Factor (8.1 mil/2.9), up 11 and 32 percent from last week’s Thanksgiving Eve outing.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s X Factor Recap: Rickrolling in the Deep

Elsewhere:

8 pm | A Charlie Brown Christmas (8.9 mil/2.9) bested the first half of X Factor (2.7) in the 8 o’clock hour, while placing nearly second in total audience. Survivor (10.34 mil/2.7) rose 10 and 17 percent. NBC’s Christmas in Rockefeller Center special drew 9.1 mil and a 2.1.

9 pm | Criminal Minds was the night’s most watched program with 12.3 mil while netting a 2.9 rating, up 7 percent. Modern Family (12 mil/4.7) — which drew the night’s best demo — and Suburgatory (6.9 mil/2.5) both rose a tenth.

VIDEO | Suburgatory First Look: Will Dalia’s Music Video Hit the ‘Spot’ With Its Intended Target?

10 pm | CSI dominated with 12 mil/2.6, up 11 and 8 percent. A rousing rendition of Nashville (5.65 mil/1.8) was flat.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: Just Duet

What were you tuned into this Wednesday?

Comments (31)

• Move over TVD, Arrow’s the new king in CW land.

Comment by Chalice – November 29, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In a perfect world Nikita would air after Arrow and Supernatural after Vampire diaries. They’re much more suited for one another and both will get big relevant lead ins. Instead of pairing nikita with top model. Also cancel beauty and the beast or dump it on friday instead of Nikita.

Comment by lucg19 – November 29, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Arrow and Supernatural are paired up because they are the only two “guy shows” on the entire network. I am aware that the numbers probably still lean in favor of girl viewers, but as far as percentage of men who watch, I am sure these two shows destroy all other CW shows in that regard.

Comment by Jigawatts – November 29, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Those are the two shows I’m watching right now on CW. I mean to catch up on Nikita sometime. I am really liking Arrow, and I’m happy for its numbers, but I wish there wasn’t this drop for Supernatural.

Comment by Blake – November 29, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I love Supernatural, TVD and Arrow. There was a drop this episode because they aired promos depicting it as a cartoonish episode with silly gags, but it turned out to be so much more and added more depth to Castiel’s character. Don’t people realize that such weird episodes are what makes our show that much more lovable! Sad with the drop in ratings.

Comment by John – November 29, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope. Don’t get me wrong I love Arrow and Nikita, but I also really really like Beauty & the Beast. I’m hoping it keeps improving and hopefully more people will give it a chance. I don’t want it killed on Friday.

Comment by Renee – November 29, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • gave Beauty a chance but i just didn’t like it. hated Emily Owens too… i watch pretty much every other show on the CW though.

Comment by Elyse – November 29, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I really liked both “Beauty and the Beast” and “Emily Owens, MD”

Comment by TexasGreatGrams – November 29, 2012 04:16 PM PDT
          • I really liked both, sad Emily Owens got cancelled so hopefully Beaty and the Beast can stay, since it gets better every time.

Comment by JO – November 30, 2012 06:40 AM PDT
      • I also like the idea of Arrow/Nikita Wed. and TVD/Supernatural Thurs. But as I am growing tired of TVD’s endlessly annoying Elena, I am so glad that Arrow is doing so well and growing. They have the relationship stuff down. It’s there, but it doesn’t take up the whole episode. TVD could learn from Arrow.

Comment by Mikael – November 30, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well deserved. LOVING arrow!

Comment by Elyse – November 29, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did Supernatural maybe dip because of it being the most ridiculous sounding episode they’ve ever made?
    Yet to watch it, but that still with the anvil was just stupid.

So, will Barrowman end up being the Dark Archer then?

Comment by Brian (@TheFifthDoctor) – November 29, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was really funny-hope you change your mind once you see it. There is lots of Dean, Sam and Cas in the episode.

Comment by TexasGreatGrams – November 29, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, it wasn’t high up there with Changing Channels but it was fun in a similar vein and felt like the Supernatural of the good old days. Definitely a strong season 8!

Comment by Lisa London – November 29, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was actually a very clever episode. It’s too bad that the ratings went down a bit. I enjoyed it a lot!

Comment by Carrie – November 29, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you never watched any episode since the beginning? These kinds of episodes are what makes it that much more awesome. The episode much deeper than you think.

Comment by John – November 29, 2012 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely love Supernatural-can’t believe the numbers went down this week. The episode “Hunteri Heroici” was funny, sad, informative and different with the “cartoon” effects. What a loss for those who missed this episode!! I also like “Beauty and the Beast” and “Arrow” and hope they get the chance to stay around for a few years. And I’ve become very fond of “Nikita”

Comment by TexasGreatGrams – November 29, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “And how about that Well-Dressed Man reveal? That possible identity wasn’t even on my radar.”

Mine either. I thought Tommy Merlyn would become a version of DC’s Merlyn (Green Arrow’s longtime nemesis) eventually, but could it be his father?

Comment by Jeff – November 29, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow needs to add Jessica as a series regular. Loved her character so much. Also, I want to see Dinah “Laurel” and Helena become BFF’s

Comment by Julie – November 29, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural had Captain BJ Hunnicutt on it last night! Why would anyone want to miss him? :D

Comment by Linda – November 29, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sucks about supernaturals numbers . i loved last nights ep it was so funny , had more cas and finally sams flashback was cohesive with the episode and the twist in the flashback.

Comment by ollie – November 29, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Supernatural last night those who didnt watch last night your loss imo it was the best one so far in this season. Maybe some of the fandom lack a sense of humour.

Comment by debbie webster – November 29, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show could really use Jessica De Gouw as a regular, in my opinion. But all in good time.

Comment by Do it. – November 29, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ………..But she can’t act, she’s not on par with the rest of the actors on Arrow!

Comment by JO – November 30, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Newsflash, none of them can act. It hardly matters for this type of show.

Comment by Do it. – November 30, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving Arrow – and it just keeps getting better.

Comment by bobbye – November 30, 2012 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow and Beauty & The Beast are the only CW shows I like and watch. The rest just don’t work for me.

Comment by Cee – November 30, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with the commentor. If Nikita were to survive another year then Arrow and Nikita should be placed together. Supernatural had Smallville as a lead in for many years but they coasted through for most of that time. If they want to change things up then they should move Supernatural and TVD own thursday as the Supernatural themed night. It might boost TVD and give SPN a good send off if s9 is the last season.

Comment by shuayb – November 30, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beauty and the beast won’t get another season. That timeslot has been cursed by the loyal secret circle fans.

Comment by shuayb – November 30, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural is just so cruddy this season,almost as bad as Leviathans last season.

Comment by Shaun – November 30, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow’s Oliver Queen is awful as an actor. But, the show will continue to be successful because he’s hot and the show itself actually has a good storyline. But, I feel the pace is too fast and every scene has such dramatic music…too much. I guess it appeals to all the 15 yr old boys and girls. I prefer TVD…I’ll take Damon and Elena any day…and Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder can ACT.

Comment by mocsmom – December 6, 2012 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post