Ratings: Arrow Ticks Up, Supernatural Slips

The CW’s Arrow continues to fly straight, this Wednesday drawing 3.7 million total viewers while scoring a 1.3 demo rating in the Nielsen finals, up a tenth from its last fresh episode. And how about that Well-Dressed Man reveal? That possible identity wasn’t even on my radar.

Supernatural, however, led out of that with 2.07 mil and a 0.8, slipping 11 percent and two tenths.

The night’s big gainer was The X Factor (8.1 mil/2.9), up 11 and 32 percent from last week’s Thanksgiving Eve outing.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s X Factor Recap: Rickrolling in the Deep

Elsewhere:

8 pm | A Charlie Brown Christmas (8.9 mil/2.9) bested the first half of X Factor (2.7) in the 8 o’clock hour, while placing nearly second in total audience. Survivor (10.34 mil/2.7) rose 10 and 17 percent. NBC’s Christmas in Rockefeller Center special drew 9.1 mil and a 2.1.

9 pm | Criminal Minds was the night’s most watched program with 12.3 mil while netting a 2.9 rating, up 7 percent. Modern Family (12 mil/4.7) — which drew the night’s best demo — and Suburgatory (6.9 mil/2.5) both rose a tenth.

VIDEO | Suburgatory First Look: Will Dalia’s Music Video Hit the ‘Spot’ With Its Intended Target?

10 pm | CSI dominated with 12 mil/2.6, up 11 and 8 percent. A rousing rendition of Nashville (5.65 mil/1.8) was flat.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: Just Duet

What were you tuned into this Wednesday?

1. Chalice says:

Move over TVD, Arrow’s the new king in CW land.

• lucg19 says:

In a perfect world Nikita would air after Arrow and Supernatural after Vampire diaries. They’re much more suited for one another and both will get big relevant lead ins. Instead of pairing nikita with top model. Also cancel beauty and the beast or dump it on friday instead of Nikita.

• Jigawatts says:

Arrow and Supernatural are paired up because they are the only two “guy shows” on the entire network. I am aware that the numbers probably still lean in favor of girl viewers, but as far as percentage of men who watch, I am sure these two shows destroy all other CW shows in that regard.

• Blake says:

Those are the two shows I’m watching right now on CW. I mean to catch up on Nikita sometime. I am really liking Arrow, and I’m happy for its numbers, but I wish there wasn’t this drop for Supernatural.

• John says:

I love Supernatural, TVD and Arrow. There was a drop this episode because they aired promos depicting it as a cartoonish episode with silly gags, but it turned out to be so much more and added more depth to Castiel’s character. Don’t people realize that such weird episodes are what makes our show that much more lovable! Sad with the drop in ratings.

• Renee says:

Nope. Don’t get me wrong I love Arrow and Nikita, but I also really really like Beauty & the Beast. I’m hoping it keeps improving and hopefully more people will give it a chance. I don’t want it killed on Friday.

• Elyse says:

gave Beauty a chance but i just didn’t like it. hated Emily Owens too… i watch pretty much every other show on the CW though.

• TexasGreatGrams says:

I really liked both “Beauty and the Beast” and “Emily Owens, MD”

• JO says:

I really liked both, sad Emily Owens got cancelled so hopefully Beaty and the Beast can stay, since it gets better every time.

• Mikael says:

I also like the idea of Arrow/Nikita Wed. and TVD/Supernatural Thurs. But as I am growing tired of TVD’s endlessly annoying Elena, I am so glad that Arrow is doing so well and growing. They have the relationship stuff down. It’s there, but it doesn’t take up the whole episode. TVD could learn from Arrow.

2. Elyse says:

well deserved. LOVING arrow!

3. Did Supernatural maybe dip because of it being the most ridiculous sounding episode they’ve ever made?
    Yet to watch it, but that still with the anvil was just stupid.

So, will Barrowman end up being the Dark Archer then?

• TexasGreatGrams says:

It was really funny-hope you change your mind once you see it. There is lots of Dean, Sam and Cas in the episode.

• Lisa London says:

Agreed, it wasn’t high up there with Changing Channels but it was fun in a similar vein and felt like the Supernatural of the good old days. Definitely a strong season 8!

• Carrie says:

It was actually a very clever episode. It’s too bad that the ratings went down a bit. I enjoyed it a lot!

• John says:

Have you never watched any episode since the beginning? These kinds of episodes are what makes it that much more awesome. The episode much deeper than you think.

4. TexasGreatGrams says:

Absolutely love Supernatural-can’t believe the numbers went down this week. The episode “Hunteri Heroici” was funny, sad, informative and different with the “cartoon” effects. What a loss for those who missed this episode!! I also like “Beauty and the Beast” and “Arrow” and hope they get the chance to stay around for a few years. And I’ve become very fond of “Nikita”

5. Jeff says:

“And how about that Well-Dressed Man reveal? That possible identity wasn’t even on my radar.”

Mine either. I thought Tommy Merlyn would become a version of DC’s Merlyn (Green Arrow’s longtime nemesis) eventually, but could it be his father?

6. Julie says:

Arrow needs to add Jessica as a series regular. Loved her character so much. Also, I want to see Dinah “Laurel” and Helena become BFF’s

7. Linda says:

Supernatural had Captain BJ Hunnicutt on it last night! Why would anyone want to miss him? :D

8. ollie says:

sucks about supernaturals numbers . i loved last nights ep it was so funny , had more cas and finally sams flashback was cohesive with the episode and the twist in the flashback.

9. Loved Supernatural last night those who didnt watch last night your loss imo it was the best one so far in this season. Maybe some of the fandom lack a sense of humour.

10. Do it. says:

The show could really use Jessica De Gouw as a regular, in my opinion. But all in good time.

11. bobbye says:

Loving Arrow – and it just keeps getting better.

12. Cee says:

Arrow and Beauty & The Beast are the only CW shows I like and watch. The rest just don’t work for me.

13. shuayb says:

I agree with the commentor. If Nikita were to survive another year then Arrow and Nikita should be placed together. Supernatural had Smallville as a lead in for many years but they coasted through for most of that time. If they want to change things up then they should move Supernatural and TVD own thursday as the Supernatural themed night. It might boost TVD and give SPN a good send off if s9 is the last season.

14. shuayb says:

Beauty and the beast won’t get another season. That timeslot has been cursed by the loyal secret circle fans.

15. Shaun says:

Supernatural is just so cruddy this season,almost as bad as Leviathans last season.

16. mocsmom says:

Arrow’s Oliver Queen is awful as an actor. But, the show will continue to be successful because he’s hot and the show itself actually has a good storyline. But, I feel the pace is too fast and every scene has such dramatic music…too much. I guess it appeals to all the 15 yr old boys and girls. I prefer TVD…I’ll take Damon and Elena any day…and Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder can ACT.