Glee Recap: Let's Talk About Sectionals

Get More: Glee, Recaps

glee sugar sectionalsI think it’s safe to say we’ve all heard Psy’s “Gangnam Style” so many times that the thought of one more rendition would be enough to drive us to the brink of collapse. But this week’s “Thanksgiving”-themed Glee — which found New Directions trying to recapture Sectionals glory, and Kurt and Rachel kikki-ing and carrying on amongst the drag queens and glitterati in Bushwick, Brooklyn — took that idea to shocking extremes.

Yes, folks, we have a real Glee cliffhanger — with wide-eyed Marley Rose, having starved herself into a ridiculous notion of “perfection” for New Directions’ big night, passing out at the end of her show choir’s big dance number, and leaving their dreams of a repeat at Regionals and Nationals in a cloud of uncertainty.

If you were too busy trying to decide whether to see Les Mis or The Hobbit over the holidays, here’s what you missed on Glee.

RELATED | Chris Colfer on His Big Apple Dreams for Kurt

* New Directions’ alumni Santana, Mercedes, Mike, and Quinn came back to Lima for Turkey Day and pitched in helping Finn prepare the McKinley show choir for Sectionals. Quinn mentored Kitty, but got into a slap-off with Marley’s mentor Santana when the Lady Lopez used her “psychic Mexican third eye” to figure out that it was Kitty who’d gotten Marley hooked on laxatives. I guess the gals’ high-school rivalry hasn’t quite subsided; that scene was tense, intense, and oddly believable. I especially enjoyed the verbal sparring that preceded the physical fight, with Quinn rubbing it in that she’d been to Jodie Foster’s clambake while Santana was stuck shaking her pom-poms in Kentucky, and Santana issuing the Twitter alert that Quinn (¡who’s sleeping with a married professor!) is yet again allowing a guy to define her life and happiness. I’d give the round to Santana — since last time I checked there’s nothing shameful about going to college in Kentucky, but Quinn’s moral compass remains as wonky as ever.

PHOTOS | 35 Holiday Gifts We’d Give Characters From Grey’s, Glee, Bones, Walking Dead and More!

* The Dalton Academy Warblers pretty much nailed it on “Whistle,” but were less exciting on “Live While We’re Young.” So if someone gets the smelling salts (and a Snickers) for Marley, there’s a door left open for our protagonists to prevail next week.

* Side note: Was it just me, or do you wish the writers had found something vaguely more interesting for Mercedes to do than throw a couple of snappy bon mots in Unique’s direction?

* In related ingenue news, Jake admitted to Ryder that he’d gone on a date with Marley — but said he’d break it off if his new buddy wasn’t okay with it. Ryder took the high road and gave his approval — and in exchange, Jake purposely botched his dance audition, paving the way for Ryder to take the lead opposite Brittany on “Gagnam Style.” Right before the curtain went up, though, Ryder passed the torch back to the younger Puckerman — insisting they all needed to put ego aside to help New Directions win. Of course, Ryder’s noble sacrifice also allowed him to interrupt Jake’s to-the-rescue conversation with Marley, who copped to feeling weak and sweaty but took the stage anyway. We all saw how that worked out, but let’s hope it’s an important first step to Marley developing some spine and taking control of her destiny. I’m still not sure I buy the whole hypnotized-into-bulimia thing the writers have cooked up for Kitty and Marls.

* Meanwhile, back in NYC, Rachel and Kurt planned an orphan’s Thanksgiving in their apartment. Brody stopped in to cook the turkey — which he sensuously stuffed with Rachel (gack!) — while Isabelle and her wild friends crashed the party in fabulous, finger-snapping style. Kurt decided — with a little push from his Vogue.com mentor — to try to forgive Blaine. His phone call to his cheating ex was a touching moment, and the duo agreed to meet up over the Christmas break to discuss their future or their friendship or…well, we’ll see. Rachel, meanwhile, realized she had no claim over Brody and his sex life, and decided to focus on her best self and her career. Those kids look like they’re gonna get busy before the Christmas wrapping goes into the recycling bin, though, no? (Girl, you better play safe is all I’m saying!)

* Oh, Schue was back just in time for New Directions’ set. (On what planet would Sectionals take place on Thanksgiving day? Surely the preceding Wednesday or even Black Friday would’ve been more realistic?)

Best Zingers from “Thanksgiving”
* Quinn mentioning how she hadn’t yet used the train pass Rachel bought for her to come visit NYADA, and thereby responding to Gleeks who’ve complained that the show’s writers let the Faberry friendship inexplicably die off.

* This exchange:
Mercedes: “Sashay!”
Unique: “Shanté!”

* Sam doing his “big tipper” dance move.

* Kitty, following Quinn’s instructions to wink at the Regionals judges to “remind them of youth and what might have been.” Horrible but hilarious.

* “Ina Garten would never cook her turkey in a bag.” –Kurt to Brody

* “When you’re all done using that turkey as a courtship device, could you put it in the oven?” –Kurt to foul/fowl Brody and Rachel (and here I thought Mark Wahlberg and China Chow’s had had the last word on sensual on-screen bird preparation in 1998′s The Big Hit...)

Grades for This Week’s Musical Numbers
* Quinn, Puck, Mike, Santana, Mercedes and Finn, “Homeward Bound”/”Home”: A truly pretty mashup of Simon & Garfunkel’s classic along with American Idol winner Phillip Phillips’ ubiquitous smash. (Nice cross-network synergy, Fox!) Grade: A-

* Quinn, Santana, and Brittany, “Come See About Me”: The unholy trinity was absolutely divine, with sweet harmonies and saucy-retro choreography. I wanted “Thanksgiving” seconds! (Bonus points for Santana’s scorching black and green striped minidress!) Grade: A

* Hunter Clarington and the Warblers, “Whistle”: Grade: A-

* Sebastian Smythe and the Warblers, “Live While We’re Young”: Grade: B-

* Isabelle, Kurt, Rachel and friends, “Let’s Have a Kiki”: Grade: A- (a total slice of delightful NY-centric ridiculata; did Rachel actually say “hunty”?)

* Tina and New Directions, “Gangnam Style”: Oh how I didn’t want to like this number. And oh how I didn’t want to believe Tina would accept this as her big solo. But once they brought out the confetti guns, my resistance proved futile. Grade: A-

What did you think of “Thanksgiving”? What was your favorite musical number? Did all of the week’s story arcs work for you? Do you wanna have a kiki? Sound off in the comments!

Tags: , ,

Comments (184)

• Kurt to try and forgive Kurt?

Comment by Forwarddad – November 29, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL I’m not even that big of a Klaine fan. But why does Kurt have to try and forgive Kurt???

Comment by I don't understand – November 29, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I believe it says Kurt tries to forgive Blaine. At least that is what I read.

Comment by Kay – November 29, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think that Kurt needs to forgive himself.

Comment by Donna – November 29, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do, he has always been a bitch.

Comment by Midori004 – November 29, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please. Kurt’s been nothing but screwed over since season 2.

Comment by Mark – November 29, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • a flawless bitch IA

Comment by freekurt – November 29, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This

Comment by dsdsdsd – November 29, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Les Mis, not Le Mis

Comment by steve – November 29, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and more than that..it’s Les Miz

Comment by Joe – November 30, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, it’s not. It’s Les Miserables, therefore Les Mis

Comment by Steve – December 1, 2012 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was a really cute episode. I’m 100% obsessed with the Puckerman brothers. Homeward Bound/Home was amazing! The Unholy Trinity song was great! and Thank God for Dalton Academy Warblers, you were fantastic. Finally, I’m so jealous of everyone in the Let’s Have a Kiki scene, because that looked like the most fun scene to film. it was just adorable.

Comment by Kelly – November 29, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED THAT SLAP!! Please don’t let this be the end of the Unholy Trinity, I need them back on Glee.
    And I thought it was a great episode even though cliffhanger was so obvious.

Comment by A – November 29, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we just talk about that phone call? Ah-ma-zing. Loved it.

Comment by Bethany – November 29, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If it wasn’t for Darren Criss’s face, it would have been an amazing scene.

Comment by Mark – November 29, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was really amazing

Comment by dsdsdsd – November 29, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Kurt (Chris) and Blaine (Darren) both did an amazing job with that phone-call scene. Just the right amount of emotions for both actors.

Comment by Kay – November 29, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought Darren was a bit over the top, but not as bad as he usually is, so, that’s an improvement.

Comment by gw – November 29, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Homeward Bound / Home” is probably one of the best mashups the show has ever done. The wistfulness of both songs is captured perfectly, and the vocals are incredible. I’ve had it on repeat for the past few days. Can’t get enough of it.

“Let’s Have a Kiki / Turkey Lurkey Time” was, on the other side of the scale, one of the most bizarre things I’ve seen the show do… but I loved it. The performance and everything was so memorable. I really wanted to get up and dance. I don’t even know what to think about the fact it’s alternately about gay parties and a runaway turkey named Tom, but okay! More, please!

“Gangnam Style” was a really idiotic choice for a competition number, though. It’s a dance song, not a song to showcase your singing abilities. I was impressed Jenna could learn Korean, but couldn’t they have done something less gimmicky? I would not declare New Directions the winners solely based on that performance, Marley’s collapse or not. The Warblers were actually better (though more so on “Whistle”). The Mennonites were a big LOL. The random choirs the writers invent can be too funny.

“Come See About Me” was very pretty and suited to Dianna’s voice. Not sure what else to say about that one.

Comment by Tom – November 29, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They mentioned the reason they were doing Gangnam Style was because it’s a dance song( they wanted to do a dance song to compete with the Warblers since they typically do alot of dancing) and then they were supposed to do a duet between Blaine and Marley.

Comment by Jon – November 29, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There are THOUSANDS of “dance numbers” that would have also enabled the New Directions to feature dancing. Gangham style is, perhaps, the most ridiculous piece of crap every created. The song is an F on its own. Having the only Asian in the choir sing it made it an F-. HORRIBLE choice of song, perhaps the worst song that Glee has ever featured. Now, all they need is an episode featuring My Humps and The Macarena.

I’ve enjoyed Glee this year, quite a bit, that that song made me ill.

Comment by Michael – November 30, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Really though, wouldn’t it have been a bigger slap in the face to do Gangnam Style and NOT have the only asian in the group sing it? You know, the one from South Korea who probably actually understands the song.

Comment by dude – November 30, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Tina may understand it, but Jenna Ushkowitz doesn’t speak korean

Comment by Fjóla – November 30, 2012 03:27 PM PDT
          • No, it wouldn’t have. Jenna should have been featured in a song that doesn’t sound like nonsense to an American audience. It was a bigger slap in the face to Jenna and Tina to feature her in this horrid song.

Comment by Michael – November 30, 2012 04:35 PM PDT
    • I agree Homeward Bound/Home is probably one of the best covers they have ever done on Glee. I saw the Marley fall coming a mile off. Oh and the slap. Such a great episode. Next week should be great.

Comment by greysfan – November 30, 2012 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JUST KLAINE PHONE CALL

Comment by Isistelle – November 29, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was seeing Dianna Agron return as Quinn. This episode became fresh and exciting and Glee like again! I miss Quinn and the originals…the opening song with the REAL New Directions–that would have won Sectionals!

Comment by Cindy – November 29, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gotta disagree. Dianna is lovely but peaked in season 1 as Quinn. Nothing is ever going to touch that season. Quinn would have been better off as a static character, because after season 1, her growth seemed forced and didn’t make sense. And she got into Yale…? Whatever. That being said, I am all for more Dianna if it means Quick– otherwise forget it.

And I’m not a Dianna hater. I really want to see her succeed in film.

Comment by Lily – November 30, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Home was amaziiing!!!!
    Come see about me was perfect
    I love Quinn Fabray

Comment by Andy – November 29, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my goodness at the Rachel/Brody scenes. The only vibe I get from that guy is that he is a player. I can’t believe The Rachel I loved would ever be interested in that kind of guy. This season as a Rachel fan is one big disappointment.

Comment by Eileen – November 29, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100% Rachel is my favorite but I thought she had better common sense than this

Comment by Lindz – November 29, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Clearly Rachel has no common sense. Why else would she run after a douche like Finn for 3 seasons. And now Brody.

Comment by We Are Young (@OnCloudGlee) – November 30, 2012 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that she is attracted to Brody because, apart from Rachel, she has no real friends in New York city, and Brody took an interest in her, and slowly, she fell for him, after knowing him

Comment by Ale – November 30, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait til Brody finally gets to tap Rachel and he lights her up like a xmas tree. Every girl remembers her first O. Especially who gave it to her. Will be interesting to see how they try and break them up after he rocks her world over and over and over and over(well you get the picture)again. Poor Finn, he’ll never stand a chance once Rachel acquires a taste for a hot, hard and handy NYC man.
      Maybe the writers will have to let Rachel become a born again V to get Finn back in the picture.

Comment by AJ – November 30, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As long as Rachel puts a bag over Brody’s face,he get STD tests done and …nope not even then will I think Bordy is anythig but a slimy creepy sleezy guy. he’s just awful (where did they find this bad actor? does he
        evan act?)

Comment by Karen – November 30, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Anyone’s a better actor than Cory Monteith

Comment by Mary – November 30, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Glee is the type of show that allows its viewers many types of characters to root for, that encludes the actors who portray them. I have to disagree with you, Mary. Cory is 1 of the top 5 best actors of Glee, if not the best.

Comment by Sil – November 30, 2012 02:32 PM PDT
  • For once Rachel and Kurt seemed out of place. I dunno I wasn’t feeling there reason for not going home to Lima. Other than that I really enjoyed the episode, other than Quinn once again screwing up and dating a married but “leaving his wife” professor.

Comment by Katie – November 29, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED to see the old gang back, I really missed them!! I love how Finn is trying to bring the best of the ND kids….on the other hand I found myself muting all the NYC parts! Rachel had a lobotomy when she got that makeover and forgot about her true self and all the “sexy”outfits its just not…I’m not buyting it!

PS: Can wait to see another of Mr.Shue’s pep talks to Finn :)

Comment by Mafer – November 29, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How many pep talks does Finn need? Jeez.

Comment by We Are Young (@OnCloudGlee) – November 30, 2012 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Didn’t you get the memo written back in season one? You know, the one about Finn being incapable of independent thought…

Comment by SCN - Once watched Glee for Finn's story, know better now... – November 30, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand how anyone can think Brody is a good idea. Honestly, the writers are destroying Rachel Berry. The NYC story is becoming unwatchable. I said I would give it the full season, but at this point, I think I may stop watching altogether. Cory is the only thing holding me to the show at all anymore. And I really missed The Unholy Trinity.

Comment by Mel – November 29, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you don’t think that Rachel deserve a nice looking boyfriend who is not a total douche? Brody is nice and don’t you hear what he said, that he would not sleep with Cassie because Rachel didn’t like that? I think that he is matured enough and he knows how to deal with Rachel. He made her jealous and she realised that she wanted him. So now, they can be together.

Comment by LilAngel – November 30, 2012 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Somehow I don’t really believe Brody. I think he’ll find any opportunity to be with Cassandra as long as she is willing. I don’t trust him.

Comment by Kay – November 30, 2012 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the warblers need to go away for good, one song would have been enough. they’re taking away from screen time for the other 50 cast members on this bloated show.

Comment by jay – November 29, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I noticed Sebastian’s hair was really slicked down with the hairgel. He must have been thinking of Blaine a little bit. “Whistle” was really good. I thought New Directions did great with “Gangnam Style” until Marley’s collapse at the end. “Let’s Have a Kiki” was ok but “Turkey Lurkey Time” in the middle was just bad. I liked the episode. Can’t wait to see how it all plays out next week.

Comment by Kay – November 29, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That episode was terrible. Rachel is becoming totally unrootable. I’ve had it up to here with Brody. He’s disgusting. “I slept with your teacher – you can’t hate me for it – we’re friends – I’m coming over for Thanksgiving – come here and massage the Turkey with me.” Kurt’s storyline is boring as always. It’s all about Blaine. Last episode was fantastic. It was all about Lima – the glee club – the heart of the show. This week it went back and forth from ridiculous scene to ridiculous scene. And the lack of Finn was upsetting because he’s truly the heart of the show right now. All I want is for there to be a mature Finchel scene where they talk and act like friends instead of being immature children who can’t even speak because their timing is off in their relationship. I don’t understand how the writers think they deserve a 5th season with episodes like this.

Comment by Julie – November 29, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As of now, I want Finn to meet a new girl and move on too. A girl who won’t be to high maintenance, someone who is sweet and nice.

Comment by Britney – November 29, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to laugh at the idea of Finn being the heart of the show. He isn’t now and he never has been or will be and any episode that has minimal Finn is a good thing.

Comment by wsho – December 1, 2012 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree 100%. Finn is everything that made the show terrible over the past 3 years. If the writers weren’t so concerned with obsessively trying to make this abusive jerk somehow into a ‘leader’, in spite of having no qualities required for leadership, and mainly by having some character robotically spout ‘you’re our leader’, then there might have been time for legitimately interesting storylines.

Comment by Steve – December 1, 2012 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed last week’s Glee episode this one not so much. I thought Klaine was cute but the New York storyline just doesn’t work for me at all. I think the music this season has not been the best either.

Comment by Mel – November 29, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can’t wait for kurt to date someone new now that he’s moving on!

Comment by marie – November 29, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know it will just be a setup for some guy to treat him badly so he’ll be running back to Blaine by the end of the season, right? I mean, I have no inside info, but we all know that awful ship is “endgame” no matter how unhealthy it is.

Comment by Mark – November 29, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lame episode.

Comment by Amanda – November 29, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know if I enjoy Ryan Murphey actually trying to convince viewers that Brody was in the right. He could have slept with Cassandra, but that doesn’t mean that it was right, especially with how hot and heavy he and Rachel were getting. I usually don’t get that annoyed by things “Glee” but that just left a bad taste in my mouth…for the first time in a long time Rachel was in the right not wanting to deal with Brody.

Comment by Damien Roberts (@dam744) – November 29, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I’m not saying people bed hopping is a good thing, Rachel’s belief that she could go running off to her old bf and her new potential bf would just stand by and see how it went was juvenile.

Comment by Matt – November 29, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • brody is so gross

Comment by Lily – November 29, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel is being stripped of all her previous characterization. And it’s bugging me. Yes, I get she’s growing up and moving on. Good, I applaud that in theory. But the change is too drastic and too fast. It doesn’t have to mean forgetting everything that made you special and iconic and leaving your past behind. She’s losing her vulnerability, which was the one thing that made me love her so much.

Comment by Lisa – November 29, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Praise. Everything about this post is the truth. Season 1-3 Rachel would have slapped him.

Comment by Debra – November 29, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Season 1 and 2 rachel would have done anything for a boy, she followed Finn around like a lost little puppy. She kissed Finn while he was in a relationship and went back to him every time he broke up with her. This is not that out of character, she’s a girl who has never felt like she really fit in and just wants someone to like her.

Comment by Kate – November 29, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So it’s okay for Rachel to be pathetic over Finn for three seasons but not for her to be pathetic over a new guy?

Comment by anna – November 30, 2012 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Am I the only one who thought there’s old Rachel when she said Casandra was her mortal enemy?

Comment by Emma – November 29, 2012 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • rachel you better run brody is bad news they’re so awkward i can’t even give me single rachel plz

Comment by emily – November 29, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everything was so great, until the NY part of the episode. They are DESTROYING Rachel, and as a big fan of her, it is extremely upsetting. Everything that people fell in love with about her they are changing. Also, the whole Brody thing is ridiculous. I cannot stand him and the way he acts and talks to Rachel. And Rachel what are you doing with him? Season 1-3 you were so much smarter and would not put up with him. I literally cringe through all of their scenes. After the promo for next week, it assured me I will not be watching next weeks episode, and possibly none after that until RIB gets their act together. It makes me so sad that I can’t be excited to watch my favorite show anymore.

Comment by Mady – November 29, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For the entire length of the show Rachel has just wanted boys to like her. She kissed Finn while he was with Quinn, she fooled around with Puck for a while, she tried sleeping with Puck to get back at Finn, she pitted Puck and Jessie and Finn against each other for a while, she forgave Finn for all sorts of stupid missteps like dumping her for Quinn or ignoring her feelings and taking Quinn to prom. This is not out of character, Rachel is a self-centered narcissist who just wants boys to pay attention to her.

Comment by Kate – November 29, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amen. This behaviour isn’t out of character for Rachel. She’s always been obsessed with Finn whilst he treated her like crap. Same with Jessie and Now Brody.

Comment by We Are Young (@OnCloudGlee) – November 30, 2012 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God, what weird songs they picked this episode! Most of the songs didn’t have any relevance to the plot. WTF was that “Kiki” thing, and why was it acceptable for a New York socialite to invite a large group of models and drag queens to a crappy apartment while doing finger snaps? “Gangnam Style” is already the worst song ever, and “Glee” did not improve on it. New Directions will obviously win (otherwise the season would end), but so far they don’t deserve it. As for the Blaine-Kurt drama, I’m glad they gave a little bit of resolution to that. Wish Quinn didn’t revert back to her Season 1 self, especially after all the progress she made- I thought she and Puck were on good terms now… Finally, the “Home” mash-up was intriguing, but the graduates all seemed to have some sense of entitlement, like they’re superstars who are so much better than the newbies and have some incredible wisdom. Blaine, Artie, Tina, etc. have the same amount of experience (or more, in some cases) than all of the returning graduates (with Mercedes as the only exception), so why weren’t they assigned as mentors at some point that isn’t five minutes before Sectionals?
    Overall, a very strange episode, and one of the weaker ones this season.

Comment by Aria – November 29, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For the record, their competition episodes are usually amazing, so this was a huge let-down.

Comment by Aria – November 29, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Kitty knew how to push Quinn’s buttons. She wanted Quinn to tell Jake to back off of Marley because she wants Jake and it worked Quinn immediately thought Jake was pressuring Marley for sex.

Comment by Katie – November 29, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS comment is everything.

Comment by Get It – November 29, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yea Quinn is Quinn dating a married professor and all but she actually believed Kitty when she told her about Jake and Marley that’s why she went after Jake.

Comment by Alice – November 29, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree. In fact in reading this recap and the grades given, I am wondering if I even watched the same episode as described.

Comment by CA – November 30, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with all of this! The seniors have been away for, what, three months at this point? And they seem to have an awful lot of time off to just hang around the high school.

Comment by Alisha – November 30, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Rachel Berry that was in tonight’s episode wasn’t the one I have loved for three years. The girl who waited for the right moment to have sex for the first time with Finn would have never acted like a full on idiot over someone like Brody, who is proving to be nothing but a player. Season 1 Rachel would have slapped him silly.

Comment by Debra – November 29, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kept muting throughout the episode. So basically Glee will do every “in” or trendy song even if it has nothing to do with the plot or if it would even fit with winning Sectionals. And no, I’ve never heard that Psy song (forgot how to spell the actual song) and never will. Proudly.

Comment by Get It – November 29, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait until Terri returns in two weeks. Jessalyn is my favorite.

Comment by jasie – November 29, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish Ryan would give her a job on AHS. She’s so underrated.

Comment by Viv – November 29, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ya that would be great! I could see her being fantasticly psychotic on that show. She has a new series coming out next year though called Vikings. Can’t wait to see more on that.

Comment by jasie – November 30, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brody just needs to stuff it! (gack!) indeed!!!!!!

Comment by I agree with Mr. Slezak – November 29, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic episode, just like last week’s “Dynamic Duets” was. With the strong episode of Glease, and the great episode “Break-up,” Glee is showing that it’s getting better and better and seems to finally be hitting its stride this season and figuring out how to balance both halves of its stories.

The integration of the grads into the McKinley narrative was done very well, and we got to see the continuation of the Ryder/Jake bromance in ways that keep bringing the stories of the new characters to life. The New York side of the story finally seemed to come together in a compelling whole, with plot development, character growth, and humor all mixed in — and not obscured by the Stygian darkness that overshadowed most of 4×01-4×04. It’s painful to see Rachel and Kurt breaking away from their home, especially when all their friends and loved ones are there, but it is one of the things that does happen — people go off to school, and either temporarily or permanently pull away from who they were to grow into who they are becoming. I’m a Finchel shipper, so there are parts of the episode that were very hard to watch, but at the same time they were well done parts of the story, and are leading Rachel and Finn along the paths they have to travel right now.

And it was extremely touching and compelling and heartwarming to see the grads back together. The opening number had me in tears, and “Homeward Bound/Home” was the song of the episode, followed by “Let’s Have a Kiki/Turkey Lurkey” for it’s pure hilarity and camp.

I’m finding myself enjoying Glee more and more each week; feels good to see it coming together. #Glee’sGotItsGrooveBackAgain

Comment by ShowThemWhat (@ShowThemWhat) – November 29, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do think the Ryder/Jake bromance is the strongest new thing the show has going. Marley is uninteresting except for in the context of her relationship with Jake… it’s like Quick, but Marley has less personality than Quinn and Jake has more than my man Puck. Kitty is fantastic but it seems the fandom despises her.

Comment by Lily – November 30, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FINALLY, someone gets it! The “Let’s Have a Kiki/Turkey Lurkey” mash-up was pure camp and fun. For the people who thought it was “weird” or “didn’t get it,” it’s because they do not get camp. And, it seems that a large portion of the American audience doesn’t get camp.

Comment by Anatasia Beaverhausen – December 1, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode should have ended after the Home/Homeward Bound mashup. That was the best part of the episode and just went down hill from there. It was more obvious than ever that those that graduated are sorely missed. The 2.0′s are just that, they are copies of the originals and are failing at that. Glee is such a mess right now. Plus Brittany and Sam are going out within an episode or two and kissing when it took years for Brittany and Santana to kiss on screen. How is that right? How does that make sense? For a show that prides itself on being so embracing of everyone they don’t take long to put the two blonde kids together and have them kissing within an episode of them being together. How original? Disgusting is more like it.

Comment by S – November 29, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee is like the straightest show right now if you took out Klaine (which they kind of did) its just HS musical but actually kinda more white.

Comment by Katie – November 29, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Rachel and Kurt don’t return home because they need to move forward and be there best selves? Mkay does that mean forget about your family and friends? Because that’s not growing up that’s being childish.

Comment by Katie – November 29, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not going home for a holiday means forgetting your family? I moved across the country from my family several years ago and I see them maybe every other year. Not everyone places huge importance on arbitrary days of the year.

Comment by Mark – November 29, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ugh huh did you miss the part were they said they wanted to move on and be there best selves? Come on now they just graduated HS its only been a few months.

Comment by Katie – November 29, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yea I didn’t get that. You could obviously tell they didn’t return home because of Finn and Blaine but they have other friends and family to…honestly it felt like they were ditching them and that sucks.

Comment by Amy – November 29, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly. It’s only been a few months. Why run home? They didn’t say they were never going back to Lima again. Plus, the holidays in NYC are pretty awesome. If I lived there, I definitely wouldn’t leave.

Comment by Mark – November 29, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I can see what the other posters meant it seems kind of stupid not going home for the holidays just because they wanted to move forward to be there best selves? Just admit why you don’t want to go Blaine and Finn.

Comment by Angela – November 29, 2012 08:11 PM PDT
        • It was just about them reminding us how superior Rachel and Kurt are to everyone else (as if we needed that reminder) and that in Glee’s version of reality Lima is just a place for failures and losers.

Comment by SCN - Once watched Glee for Finn's story, know better now... – November 30, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! They should only be so lucky that they have a family and can afford to go visit them for the holidays.

Comment by Rachel – November 29, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pretty sure they COULDN’T afford to be with them, considering they used Cassandra’s frequent flyer miles to pay for their last trip back since they didn’t have the money.

Comment by Thea – November 29, 2012 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it an okay episode. Highlights for me were Santana’s reaction to the slap. I like the Ryder/Junior Puck friendship. I can’t believe Quinn doesn’t see right through Miss Cheerio.

Comment by Scott – November 29, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoever wrote this “Kurt needs to forgive Blaine” nonsense is obviously an idiot, and the reason why my vague interest from two weeks ago is now gone. For a second there I was hoping Kurt had grown some self-respect. :(

Comment by Mark – November 29, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bitter? It’s not a new concept that in order to move forward you need to let go of your pain. How can he do that unless he forgives the one who wronged him? He doesn’t have to take him back or even start trusting him, but he needs to stop being angry and accept that this happened and he can’t change it, so it’s time to let go and move onto the next phase of his life. You can’t have a successful new relationship if you haven’t moved past your previous ones.

Comment by Beanni77 – December 5, 2012 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having so many of the original cast members on this episode made it so, so enjoyable. LOVED having Quinn back around. Gosh, the show missed her!

Comment by Ashley – November 29, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel’s character in seasons 1-3 was for me about an innocence and naivety and since her “make over” in season 4 she seems to have lost some of those core characteristics – the latest episode brought a glimmer of that back with the Brody/Rachel dance class scene where she easily forgave the guy easily because she was looking for any explanation from him that was digestible so she could fall back in a very obvious puppy love.

I get the reasoning for the show writers to want to make the characters grow up a bit and could even relate to the feeling of displacement the occurs when you move to a new place but it often times comes of with a sense of snobbishness in the New York plot (this happens even with Kurt). I hope that the writers dial that back a bit and allow the characters to grow but remember the innocence that we all fell in love and made us root for them in seasons past.

Comment by Cferra – November 29, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is how it feels…its like they are elite-ish now that they are in NY. For heavens sake Quinn is snobbish but she at least came back for Thanksgiving.

Comment by Max – November 29, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kurt Hummel guilty of snobbishness? Who would have thought it, what a suprise!!! Kurt’s been a smug, condescending little twerp since day one.

Comment by SCN - Once watched Glee for Finn's story, know better now... – November 30, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I were Kurt or Rachel’s parents and I heard about their “orphan Thanksgiving”, I would smack them hard and show them what it’s like for an actual orphan during the holidays. It’s disrespectful and so wrong. They chose not to go home. I can’t stand either of them or their friendship this season (and I used to LOVE them). Brody is still a creep and Dean can’t act. And who thought it was a good idea to use Gangnam Style? That and Let’s Have a Kiki were the worst songs ever done on Glee.
    The only good things from this episode were seeing the graduates meet up with Home and Jake finally not being a douche for a whole episode.
    I’m done with Glee though. I’m sick of watching crap, and I’m not going to keep tuning in in hopes of it getting better. I’m just going to pretend season 4 didn’t happen and it ended after the seniors got their diplomas at the end of season 3.

Comment by Kristin – November 29, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kurt & Blaine’s storyline is the only consistently good part of the season. The writers were so lazy last year all they did was look at each other and Chris and Darren are both great this season. The old ND just show how awful the new characters are, esoecialy poor boring Marley. Giving her an eating disorder (and doing it so irresponsibly) doesn’t make her interesting and the songs were just not great and can the warblers just become the who-blers already

Comment by Goldie – November 29, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Blaine has been the consistently bad part of the show since 2×14.

Comment by Mark – November 29, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree.

Comment by Kay – November 30, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry about your lack of taste.

Comment by Mark – November 30, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sorry about your lack of maturity. Just because you don’t like a character, it doesn’t mean someone else doesn’t have taste.

Comment by Emma – December 4, 2012 04:47 PM PDT
  • I thought I was 100% Finchel but after seeing Finn doing his thing these last Episodes I am just team Finn! If they get back together that would be great but I think Cory Monteith has really shined this season. I like the new kids as well. Never had an opinion either way on Klaine but that phone call broke my heart.

Comment by Beth – November 29, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its weird but tonight I actually saw chemistry between Finn and Quinn (during the hugging scene) but of course Quinn is still well not so nice LOL but kudos to Cory and Dianna I guess.

Comment by Katy – November 29, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finn’s sudden clothing choices since be became the director of the new NDs is kinda drastic – they have him looking like Mr. Rogers… He supposed to be 19, jus sayin…

Comment by Cferra – November 29, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kurt’s and Blaine’s phone call was really powerful–the best scene in tonight’s episode for me. I fear that these characters are being set up to end best friends rather than partners and lovers, though. I think this possible outcome would be disheartening if it comes to pass. I, for one,would like to see this fictional gay couple work through their troubles and prevail–be a source of inspiration and hope to gay young viewers.

Comment by Carmen – November 29, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I’m afraid too that they will decide to just be friends. But then, friends can always turn into something more – you just never know.

Comment by Kay – November 29, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As a gay viewer, I’d rather show them doing the realistic thing and breaking up permanently, like you do when the guy who treated you like his personal toy for over a year cheats on you and blames you for it.

Comment by Mark – November 30, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s pretty sad that I found myself either muting or changing the channel any time a NYC scene came on. The whole Brody mess is creepy, ridiculous, and straight up unnecessary. The Kurt and Rachel dynamic is boring, at least to me. There’s no conflict between the two anymore. Yes, I get that Rachel needed a friend in NYC, but Kurt has his own issues going on and tbh, he’s not exactly being the great friend that she needs right now. And the whole storyline with Rachel is just an utter mess. I thought the whole purpose of all everyone’s storyline was to bring them down to underdog status and root for them, and we see that going on in Finn’s storyline. But with Rachel, its turning out to be one big disappointment. She’s just so buried underneath all that makeup, completely lost, and making the stupidest choices. I hope she gets a wake up call really soon because I really dont know how much more I can take of her storyline. There was so much potential with for this NYC storyline, but now its just a huge letdown.

Comment by Bee – November 29, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You Finn stans are so pathetically desperate its just sad now. Rachel dumped Finn good and is moving on with her life and not acting like a perpetual failure loser who can’t leave High School. Get over it. She is.

Comment by Ick – November 30, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quinn and Santana are my favorites so tonight was great for me, but I’m gonna say it 1 more time. ( Dear Fox and Ryan Murphy, Learn your lesson and do a spin-off of the graduates. You could split them up. Rachel, Kurt, Santana, and Mike fit in New York. Puck and Mercedes fit in LA. Finn and Quinn could fit in either city. You could get a full season of Finn and Puck in LA before he heads to New York to chase Rachel. Blaine would head to NY with Brittany while Artie wants to make movies in LA. Then we could start to like the newbies being pushed on us. Try a show that you know would give you an audience instead of the ratings losers like Alcatraz, Terra Nova, The Mob Doctor, and yet another Gordan Ramsey show. Thanks, Gleeks

Comment by Randy – November 29, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately – what we have this season might be less of an artistic choice (a full on spin-off) and more of an economic one. It is less expensive to retain the talent -only pay them for episodes they appear in – keep them as headlining cast members. Similar to what they did on the latter seasons of scrubs to keep costs down – just there they didn’t have to deal with a locality difference in the plot.

Comment by Cferra – November 29, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s also less of a gamble for the network to have to musical dramas in their line up – if that was the direction that Ruan and Co. were going to take it in.

Comment by Cferra – November 29, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you about the spin-off. I am watching the show for the few precious moments we have with the original/ cast/last season’s characters. Potentially important storylines (dyslexia,eating disorders,transgender issues ) at the high school get lost because,at least thus far, the new cast members seem not to be able to carry them. I miss
      full-on Kurt most of all. Chris Colfer makes you pay attention and listen no matter what Kurt’s issues are. I think Chris should have his own show. I’d watch that.

Comment by Carmen – November 29, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Slezak, you forgot to mention that Puck returned as well. You only listed Santana, Mercedes, Mike and Quinn.

Comment by AJ – November 29, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually had forgotten how much I missed the veterans until they all showed up singing Home its like they actually breathed some life into the show.

Comment by Alice – November 29, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate the new york story line and i wish Brody were gone and I just want rachel berry to turn back into Rachel Berry.

She deserves better. I thought bringing everyone back but leaving HUmmelberry away was offensive and heartbreaking seeing as they were part of the original six. Also while I understand artie and tina did not graduate to diminish their friendships with the original members seems ridiculous to me.

I just love some of it but 99% of the time I just tel myself I’m done and really after christmas I think I will make that effort to not follow Glee. It’s not worth my time. I hope the actors can come out of this and find bigger and better things and that Glee does not drag them down with it.

Comment by Me – November 29, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True – the now seniors are definitely taking a back seat to the new juniors – it seems weird that Artie – Tina – Brit – Sam etc. are getting way less airtime then they should be compared to the new cast.

Comment by Cferra – November 29, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • PREACH! Seriously, that’s what I’ve been saying since the whole season started! One would think that now that the seniors are gone, the ones who were Juniors last year would finally get their time (especially cuz they are still part of the main cast!!!) but noooo, they decided to ignore their last year in high school in order to focus on some newbies that come, create drama, endless love triangles, & ruin chances to win sectionals

Comment by joncuriel – November 29, 2012 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was gonna watch Glee this season just for NY but it is botched so badly that it is awful and IMO, unwatchable. KiKi/ Turkey mash-up number. The music number so many people thought was fun, was stupid. Finn is getting his story but with new cast being focused on. The seniors today are background characters. The only reason why I watched this was for Puck, Santana, Quinn, Mercedes and Mike. this was just OK, not good and definitely not great. The intro mash-up with the grads was wonderful and reminded me of the Glee I fell in love with, the rest just fell flat. Not the Glee I want to watch. Rachel was my favorite character, but not now. I don’t care about NY or that storyline. That sucks. When the grads return again, with Puck, Santana, Mercedes and Quinn is when I watch Glee again. Don’t give a hoot about McKinley in the least.

Comment by Sil – November 30, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only Ryan Murphy read these comments, what I wouldn’t give to tell him that these new story lines and plots suck. Too many characters, too many crapy story lines. I loved Glee, I mean really loved it, and now it’s just annoying and frustrating to see you favourite show turn into mush.

Comment by Jessica – November 29, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hear ya – I do admittedly love the show – or maybe the ideology of what the show was but it is frustrating to see the direction it’s taking… Gotta hold out hope that there is a point to the turns.

Comment by Cferra – November 29, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • nicely put. Let’s see how today’s episode turns out, hopefully it surprises us!

Comment by Jessica – December 6, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Home was awesome. And the song quinn, santana, and brittany did was good too. Everything else not so much, and that kiki song / turkey lurky number was just bizarre!! Where do they find this stuff?! Is that an actual song from something?

Comment by Robin – November 29, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s have a Kiki is a song by the scissor sisters – made a big splash apparently on the west coast.

Comment by Cferra – November 29, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was Chris Colfer’s idea to do a Scissor Sisters number, and he requested the “Let’s Have a KiKi” song.

Comment by Kay – November 30, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I initially didn’t have a problem with brody, but after this episode I have to agree that rachel storyline with him being flirty and can’t-live-without-guy attitude has made her character a bit out of character and started to become unrootable.
    I actually don’t mind if rachel has a new love interest, but I hope he doesn’t come until at least half of the season. The should focus on rachel’s struggle in NYC with nyada, auditions for broadway, her relationship with her dads or even with her having financial problems so she should get a part time job or something. I think that would make rachel back to her roots as an underdog and will be much more interesting to see but I don’t the writers are going to realize that, so…

Comment by ino – November 29, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To say I’m not a finchell shipper would be a lie – however I am for a characters growth and development – the Brody character was brought out like ep1 of season 4 I mean geeze – all the dynamics you suggested were and are very valid and would have been quite interesting at least for the first half of the season – maybe witnessing her rejection from the director of that off broadway play instead of just mentioning it in passing / true growth is made through hardships and this season Kurt and Rachel happens to fall into a huge loft apartment that would most likely cost at least 1500 in rent along with the furniture and clothing it’s not only hard to fathom is just plain not going to happen. If Rachel’s dads were paying for the apartment etc. you would at that the writers would at least think to mention it or throw in a scene with a phone call in it. And now – they have to throw in the obvious cell phone product placement like every episode – really?? Really??? Ugh.

Comment by Cferra – November 29, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i think the real problem is glee has so many characters to look for so they really often forget those little storyline that actually can be such a great part to watch

Comment by Riz – November 29, 2012 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah but still, right now i’d rather watch rachel and kurt being fun than watch the new kids. it’s not that they’re terrible or anything, they just not interest me at this point to make me invested in their characters

Comment by ino – November 29, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want to slap kitty. I would other people notice what she does. They should have old cast come on more.

Comment by Kate – November 29, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finally! I’m really hoping Kitty will disappear from the show. I think maybe the plan was to make her the new Quinn, but driving a girl to anorexia is really too serious and too mean. Quinn was mean at the beginning, but never this way!

Comment by Grace – November 30, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quinn’s rapid fire rundown on life at Yale, made me want a “Quinn Goes to College” spinoff! Or at least an episode…

Comment by megs – November 29, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post