Ratings: NCIS Surges, Go On Hits 7-Week High, DWTS Finale Down Sharply Versus Year Ago

Ratings: NCIS Hits 8-Week HighOn a Tuesday when most every show was up versus its soft, pre-Thanksgiving Eve numbers, NCIS and a pair of freshman sitcoms served up the largest week-to-week increases.

Dominating the night in total audience (with 19.6 million viewers) and placing second only to The Voice in the demo (with a 3.5 rating), NCIS rose 19 and 17 percent to hit its best numbers since Oct. 2.

Of Tuesday’s surging sitcoms, Fox’s Ben and Kate (with 2.9 mil/1.4) was up more than 20 percent, while NBC’s Go On (6.33 mil/2.5) hit a seven-week high.

The only shows on the week-to-week downside this Tuesday were The CW’s Emily Owens (slipping 20 and 25 percent to 1.04 mil/0.3) and CBS’ Vegas (down 7 and 11 percent to 9.4 mil/1.6, thusly bested by Parenthood).

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars All-Star Finale: Did the Right Couple Win?

The Dancing With the Stars season finale, meanwhile, of course hit season highs yet was down 15 and 27 percent from its year-ago Season 13 closer, drawing 16.6 mil and a 3.0.

Going hour by hour….

8 pm | Topping Tuesday in the demo, The Voice (11.4 mil/3.8) was up 20 and 12 percent. ABC’s Grinch/Shrek holiday duet averaged 8.4 mil and a 2.5. Leading into Ben and Kate, Raising Hope (3.9 mil/1.7) rose 9 and 13 percent. Hart of Dixie (1.34 mil/0.5) was flat in the demo but added a few eyeballs.

RELATED | The Voice Top 8 Results Recap: Did the Right Two Singers Get the Boot?

9 pm | Trailing DWTS, NCIS: LA (14.3 mil/2.9) inched up a tenth in the demo week-to-week. Leading out of Go On, NBC’s The New Normal (4.1 mil/1.7) gained two tenths. Fox’s New Girl (4.2 mil/2.3) and The Mindy Project (2.8 mil/1.5) both rose 15 percent.

10 pm | Facing off against DTWS‘ second hour, Parenthood (4.43 mil/1.8) ticked up a tenth in the demo and thus lapped Vegas.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

1. sarah says:

Please more people tune into Parenthood! It is fantastic.

• ben says:

Given it’s ratings have been very consistent this year, and consistenly at the level at which Parenthood was renewed last season, I think it’s reasonable to feel positive about the chances of renewal. On the other hand, NBC is having a good year, so you can never get too compacent.

2. Svenja says:

NCIS’s ratings were well-deserved. Great episode.Finally the focus on some female energy on the show, a great dynamic between Mark Harmon and Miss Kingston and also some great Tony and Ziva stuff that shows their relationship is growing. More Ziva and Abby scenes on NCIS would be something I’d wish for :) The case was amazing, too.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Guest star Kristen Prout was pretty fantastic, to boot. She’s come a long way from playing the piano for Kyle.

• Blake says:

I wish there would have been more opportunities for her to play the piano for him, meaning I wish it hadn’t ended as quickly and abruptly as it did.

• tp72 says:

Matt Dallas was on a holiday movie I watched the other day. He’s still really handsome. It’s strange seeing him as an adult.

• Svenja says:

That’s true. Her performance was great. She had good chemistry with the two girls. She showed some raw emotions in this episode. I have to say it has been my favourite Season 10 episode so far. Everyone was amazing.

• Kathi says:

Totally agree Svenja – it was a great episode deserving of the ratings. My favorite of the season thus far.

• I totally agree, Svenja! This was an excellent episode with excellent guest stars. Loved the scenes between Ziva and Abby, and protecting Lydia. This was a tough subject to cover, but NCIS did an excellent job of doing that. Also loved, loved, loved the Tony and Ziva scenes. This season has been one of the best seasons in a long time.

3. TVLineFan says:

CW PLEASE renew Emily Owens, MD!!

4. Eric says:

I agree Sarah! Parenthood is fantastic!!! One the best shows on tv!!!

5. jimbo says:

Considering the DWTS competition and the weak lead-in, Parenthood pulled off really good numbers this week. NBC has to extend the current season AND renew it for a fifth now!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Alas, extending PARENTHOOD’s season is off the table. NBC boss Robert Greenblatt told me, “That ship has sailed for this season, because we have planned the rest of the year very carefully,” with SMASH claiming the time slot starting Feb. 5. “But I’m thrilled to see Parenthood get an uplift this year [oftentimes winning its time slot in the demo].” Plus, he noted, “There’s also a real virtue to running episodes of a serialized drama straight through without many preemptions or repeats.”

6. gary says:

I cant believe how big of a failure Vegas is. 2 Legit Stars that the CBS Audience should be eating up but they are not

7. Babybop says:

SO happy for Go On and Raising Hope.

8. Shazza says:

Go On is a definite grower – any news on whether it’ll be getting renewed?

9. Andrea says:

Yay for Alex Kingston on NCIS. Thought she had tremendous chemistry with Mark Harmon. Buh-bye Dr. Ryan…Hello Miranda!

I’d also be fine if Gibbs didn’t get romantic with Miranda. I just hope Glasberg is planning to have Alex return.

10. Cheryl Sewell says:

Vegas is just too old school for me. I want to like it because of the great actors but the characters are just too stereotypical. No surprises and crime scene investigation consists of calling in the Indian tracker to smell footprints or detect what kind of gas blew up a kidnappers car.

11. Sarah says:

Pleeeease don’t let Emily Owens get cancelled. It’s such a cute show, always puts me in a good mood !

12. Britta Unfiltered says:

I watched New Girl, Sons of Anarchy, and then cheered myself up from that experience with a slightly less depressing episode of Parenthood. That was sweet at the end with Max and Christina though. A very touching moment. I feel like the Bravermans are finally starting to show a lot more cracks, and I really like that. They’re becoming more representative of a real-life family to me.

13. fpfanforever says:

I watched the new Flashpoint on ION at 11! Episode 7 out of 13 in the final season! Can’t wait (and at the same time, CAN) to see how this brilliant series ends! :D

14. bobbye says:

DWTS needs a reboot. New judges and honest and consistent scoring for starters. There’s just something fishy going on here.