Ratings: NCIS Surges, Go On Hits 7-Week High, DWTS Finale Down Sharply Versus Year Ago

Ratings: NCIS Hits 8-Week HighOn a Tuesday when most every show was up versus its soft, pre-Thanksgiving Eve numbers, NCIS and a pair of freshman sitcoms served up the largest week-to-week increases.

Dominating the night in total audience (with 19.6 million viewers) and placing second only to The Voice in the demo (with a 3.5 rating), NCIS rose 19 and 17 percent to hit its best numbers since Oct. 2.

Of Tuesday’s surging sitcoms, Fox’s Ben and Kate (with 2.9 mil/1.4) was up more than 20 percent, while NBC’s Go On (6.33 mil/2.5) hit a seven-week high.

The only shows on the week-to-week downside this Tuesday were The CW’s Emily Owens (slipping 20 and 25 percent to 1.04 mil/0.3) and CBS’ Vegas (down 7 and 11 percent to 9.4 mil/1.6, thusly bested by Parenthood).

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars All-Star Finale: Did the Right Couple Win?

The Dancing With the Stars season finale, meanwhile, of course hit season highs yet was down 15 and 27 percent from its year-ago Season 13 closer, drawing 16.6 mil and a 3.0.

Going hour by hour….

8 pm | Topping Tuesday in the demo, The Voice (11.4 mil/3.8) was up 20 and 12 percent. ABC’s Grinch/Shrek holiday duet averaged 8.4 mil and a 2.5. Leading into Ben and Kate, Raising Hope (3.9 mil/1.7) rose 9 and 13 percent. Hart of Dixie (1.34 mil/0.5) was flat in the demo but added a few eyeballs.

RELATED | The Voice Top 8 Results Recap: Did the Right Two Singers Get the Boot?

9 pm | Trailing DWTS, NCIS: LA (14.3 mil/2.9) inched up a tenth in the demo week-to-week. Leading out of Go On, NBC’s The New Normal (4.1 mil/1.7) gained two tenths. Fox’s New Girl (4.2 mil/2.3) and The Mindy Project (2.8 mil/1.5) both rose 15 percent.

10 pm | Facing off against DTWS‘ second hour, Parenthood (4.43 mil/1.8) ticked up a tenth in the demo and thus lapped Vegas.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

Comments (37)

• Please more people tune into Parenthood! It is fantastic.

Comment by sarah – November 28, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Given it’s ratings have been very consistent this year, and consistenly at the level at which Parenthood was renewed last season, I think it’s reasonable to feel positive about the chances of renewal. On the other hand, NBC is having a good year, so you can never get too compacent.

Comment by ben – November 28, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS’s ratings were well-deserved. Great episode.Finally the focus on some female energy on the show, a great dynamic between Mark Harmon and Miss Kingston and also some great Tony and Ziva stuff that shows their relationship is growing. More Ziva and Abby scenes on NCIS would be something I’d wish for :) The case was amazing, too.

Comment by Svenja – November 28, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Guest star Kristen Prout was pretty fantastic, to boot. She’s come a long way from playing the piano for Kyle.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 28, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wish there would have been more opportunities for her to play the piano for him, meaning I wish it hadn’t ended as quickly and abruptly as it did.

Comment by Blake – November 28, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt Dallas was on a holiday movie I watched the other day. He’s still really handsome. It’s strange seeing him as an adult.

Comment by tp72 – November 28, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s true. Her performance was great. She had good chemistry with the two girls. She showed some raw emotions in this episode. I have to say it has been my favourite Season 10 episode so far. Everyone was amazing.

Comment by Svenja – November 28, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree Svenja – it was a great episode deserving of the ratings. My favorite of the season thus far.

Comment by Kathi – November 28, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree, Svenja! This was an excellent episode with excellent guest stars. Loved the scenes between Ziva and Abby, and protecting Lydia. This was a tough subject to cover, but NCIS did an excellent job of doing that. Also loved, loved, loved the Tony and Ziva scenes. This season has been one of the best seasons in a long time.

Comment by Marla (@zoyaroses) – November 28, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CW PLEASE renew Emily Owens, MD!!

Comment by TVLineFan – November 28, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 28, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think I like Malibu Barbie over Mean Girl Barbie.

Comment by Just sayin' – November 28, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I enjoy it. Like any show it just needs time to find it’s footing. Last night’s episode was probably the best one so far and next week’s looks great too.

Comment by Katherine S. – November 28, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I completely agree with U

Comment by Prue – November 28, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • watched the first episode and it was okay. tried to watch the second and it just made me uncomfortable. i usually watch all of the CWs shows that aren’t reality shows but this year Emily and Beast are just awful. i personally hope they cancel it.

Comment by Elyse – November 28, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With a .3 rating, I’d say it’s a lost cause. Don’t get too attached.

Comment by Ari – November 28, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree Sarah! Parenthood is fantastic!!! One the best shows on tv!!!

Comment by Eric – November 28, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering the DWTS competition and the weak lead-in, Parenthood pulled off really good numbers this week. NBC has to extend the current season AND renew it for a fifth now!

Comment by jimbo – November 28, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alas, extending PARENTHOOD’s season is off the table. NBC boss Robert Greenblatt told me, “That ship has sailed for this season, because we have planned the rest of the year very carefully,” with SMASH claiming the time slot starting Feb. 5. “But I’m thrilled to see Parenthood get an uplift this year [oftentimes winning its time slot in the demo].” Plus, he noted, “There’s also a real virtue to running episodes of a serialized drama straight through without many preemptions or repeats.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 28, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt, no update on Necessary Roughness being renewed? Their Facebook page confirmed it yesterday. :)

Comment by tp72 – November 28, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Incorrect; as of 1:09 pm EST today, the renewal has not been officially confirmed.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 28, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I certainly trust you over their Facebook page. Thanks for the info! Back to crossing my fingers. :(

Comment by tp72 – November 28, 2012 10:56 AM PDT
      • Oh well, you can’t have it all. As long as they renew it, I can live with this decision. And thank you for clarifying, Matt!

Comment by jimbo – November 28, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant believe how big of a failure Vegas is. 2 Legit Stars that the CBS Audience should be eating up but they are not

Comment by gary – November 28, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not the show’s fault. It’s just part of the Jason O’Mara curse.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 28, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO happy for Go On and Raising Hope.

Comment by Babybop – November 28, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go On is a definite grower – any news on whether it’ll be getting renewed?

Comment by Shazza – November 28, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Alex Kingston on NCIS. Thought she had tremendous chemistry with Mark Harmon. Buh-bye Dr. Ryan…Hello Miranda!

I’d also be fine if Gibbs didn’t get romantic with Miranda. I just hope Glasberg is planning to have Alex return.

Comment by Andrea – November 28, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really enjoyed her guest appearance and hope to see her again.

Comment by tp – November 28, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vegas is just too old school for me. I want to like it because of the great actors but the characters are just too stereotypical. No surprises and crime scene investigation consists of calling in the Indian tracker to smell footprints or detect what kind of gas blew up a kidnappers car.

Comment by Cheryl Sewell – November 28, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed…Plus they want you to dislike Michael Chiklis’s character but he is just likeable enough…

Comment by lingy300 – November 28, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pleeeease don’t let Emily Owens get cancelled. It’s such a cute show, always puts me in a good mood !

Comment by Sarah – November 28, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched New Girl, Sons of Anarchy, and then cheered myself up from that experience with a slightly less depressing episode of Parenthood. That was sweet at the end with Max and Christina though. A very touching moment. I feel like the Bravermans are finally starting to show a lot more cracks, and I really like that. They’re becoming more representative of a real-life family to me.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 28, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the new Flashpoint on ION at 11! Episode 7 out of 13 in the final season! Can’t wait (and at the same time, CAN) to see how this brilliant series ends! :D

Comment by fpfanforever – November 28, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DWTS needs a reboot. New judges and honest and consistent scoring for starters. There’s just something fishy going on here.

Comment by bobbye – November 30, 2012 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post