Last Man Standing and Malibu Country Get Additional Episode Orders

ABC is extending its stay in Malibu Country and making sure Last Man Standing stands a while longer.

The network Wednesday ordered five additional episodes of both of its Friday-night comedies.

RELATED | ABC’s Nashville Gets Full-Season Pick-Up

The orders essentially give each show what’s usually referred to as a “back 9″ pick-up. (Because both series started late, only five extra episodes — instead of nine — were necessary to fill out their seasons.)

The Reba McEntire and Tim Allen sitcoms join ABC’s ScandalNashville and The Neighbors — all of which have received full season orders.

1. michelle says:

Last Man Standing is actually funny. But recasting the oldest daughter was a mistake. This new girl is terrible. She doesnt jel with anyone.

• cjeffery7 says:

awe i thought she was cute with mandy this past week. sisterly bonding time! all this being said, integrating a new actress onto a show is always kinda tricky and i think they’ve been doing just fine so far.

• JO says:

I agree, I preferred the other daughter from last year! This one seems too old… but anywho, I still enjoy this show, glad it got more episodes! I could do with less Tim Allan speaking to the “web” about his tim the tool man “problems” as he used to do in his other show, and more with Mandy, she really makes the show quite funny, especially her scenes with her dad.

• chistosa says:

Agree with you Michelle. The new girl is not right for the cast. She lacks the snarkiness in her exchanges with Tim Allen and the sassy determination to raise her son her way. That might be in part to poor writing and/or direction but each week I complain to my husband about it.

• Gene says:

The first season was great. I feel that the recast of the daughter absolutely is killing the show. She just doesn’t fit in with the other daughters. The recasting of the the father of the child doesn’t help as well. He is annoying with being completely opposite of the Tim Allen’s character. The constant jabs and criticisms of each other’s beliefs make the show not what it use to be. As well, the constant political jokes are too much as well. They need to go back to the original formula that made the show fun to watch.

2. lll says:

So Last Man Standing and Malibu Country get their own version of a ‘full season.’ That’s good.

3. ^THIS. It’s still a fun show, but it had the perfect cast/chemistry last season, the recast hurt the show, but not much since the older daughter doesn’t take up much of the screentime.

4. MJ says:

I loved the first season of Last Man Standing, but it seems to be very politically driven and some jokes that I find offensive and not needed.

5. Chris Myers says:

I don’t mean to be a spelling snob but isn’t it Tim Allen ?

6. Greg says:

Glad to hear it…even though I question the spin about only needing 18-episode seasons since they premiered in November. More likely ABC is already considering reverting to news magazines on Fridays after this season.

• dude says:

Yeah, if anything 22 episode seasons would just reduce the number of breaks the show takes in the new year.

• Darcy says:

Especially given that NBC ran 22 episodes of 30 Rock last season when it started in January. This is total spin, but I think that if the ratings stay steady or possibly build the shows could still get full, legit full, seasons.

7. Eric says:

Malibu Country!!!

8. Ravenous says:

Last Man Standing was great last season but its terrible this season. The recasting is a total failure. Tim’s character has become a cliched stereotype and its sad to see. I took it off my DVR schedule. Just cancel this dumpster fire already.

• Dude, totally disagree. This season’s ep about Dodgeball was probably the funniest episode they’ve ever done. My sons and I have added “I walked into a door” to our daily vernacular and it’s always funny. I do agree about the recasting and of course the Friday night slot isn’t the best but hey, that’s why all of us have DVRs anyway, right?

• Heidi says:

I totally agree. I just took it off my DVR too. The political slant is irritating and the writing isn’t nearly as good as last year. They’ve made Tim Allen’s character so unlikeable…even his wife is portrayed differently and not in a good way. Booooo!

9. Kris says:

LMS was good last season. The recast isn’t working and it’s not as funny. Malibu isn’t watchable at all so surprised it got picked up.

10. c4 says:

This is surprising. Last Man Standing recasting has ruined the show. Malibu is forgettable at best.

11. Joanna says:

The recast daughter on Last Man Standing looks too old to be a teenage mom. I’m sure she’s a good actress but totally wrong for this part. Love Reba but this show is too much like her last series.

12. Liz says:

I agree with those saying that LMS isn’t as funny. I don’t really like the older daughter at all, and still don’t get why they felt they needed the recast. Also, it’s gone too political. It had some of those elements last year, but now that seems to be all it is. It’s missing the fun family dynamic and Tim dealing with living in a household of women. That was our favorite part, since it was something my family related to really well.

13. Magically Suspicious says:

I loved Reba’s first sitcom and I was super excited that she has another on the air. I’m glad they are giving it a chance to find its footing, but so far, I’ve been underwhelmed. I hope it finds it’s groove because with Reba and Sara and Lily….there is room for really funny stuff.

14. nick1372 says:

I like both sitcoms.
    However, I don’t like this “5 more episodes” nonsense. It seems more like schedule filler than a commitment. Even 20 episodes total would be OK. But not 18.

15. Glewis29 says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the first season of last man standing but this season has become far too political…I’m a teacher and I find his continuous insults to teachers disgusting. This type of propaganda does not belong on a family sitcom…I will not be watching anymore.

16. Britton says:

I’m sorry but I just have to respond to the “it was only political for one episode. Keep watching it gets better.” Umm…please pay attention because it is extremely political in nature now. The total concentration on the election for just that one entire episode was extreme. No other story lines going on. Sitcoms will have a couple story lines going on per episode and for the premiere of the season to be so focused seemed like it was sending a pretty pointed message. Tim Allen’s character has turned from the good-‘ole-dad man’s-man type to neanderthal dictator over night.

Plus with all the sexist and racial smears–(recalling one line “We do not negotiate with terrorists…except for that one guy at the carpet store”–I did a double take and thought: omg did he really just say that?) this show has become disheartening. Agreed that re-casting the daughter was a bad move and this girl just doesn’t have the quip, but it’s really the writing that’s the problem. I don’t know who they let go or hired on this season but they need to leave because they are running the show into the ground with their established target audience.

17. MarilynMyre says:

Reba, Sara, & Lilly…..How can you go wrong? It does feel a lot like Reba’s past show and that was good. Maybe the “powers that be” are not letting these funny, talented woman have enough imput?

We all loved “Tim (the toolman) Taylor” and it feels like he’s back this year. I find all the off-color humor excellent. New girl doesn’t fit in that family. She was not raised by those parents. Obviously siblings are not identicle, the other two are near opposites, and it works. The oldest can die when a drunk, 95 y/o plows into the diner. Keep the tiny testosterone fueled grandson so he can keep “running into a door.”

18. Jbear54 says:

Last season was great! The new Cristin is boring. Boyd’s dad is an idiot. I cannot stand his character. It’s like we took a trip back in time to All in the family. You know when Gloria married Michael. Except this is just annoyingly boring. All the story lines do seem to have some political based content to them that has gotten old real quick. Why do they keep talking to and treating Boyd like he is 4months old? I thought that’s why he was recasted to be aged older!!! So disappointed. :/

19. Ken and Lee says:

Loved this show last year. They have taken a great show with a funny cast and completely changed the characters. My wife and I will no longer be watching.

• Connie says:

Used to like LMS last season, but the show is now too political and has lost some of its humor. I hope things change in the future.

20. Randy says:

I so enjoyed the show last year. But this year, the new daughter and her baby’s daddy are completely ruining it. Ditto for the political jokes. Bring it back to comedy and leave the politics to FoxNews!

21. Connie says:

Our family really used to enjoy Last Man Standing, but this season’s political messages are irritating. TIm is always made out to be the fool for having conservative beliefs. Wish it would go back to the old format. Also, the recast of the oldest daughter was a poor choice

22. joehn says:

I love wathcing Tim Allen, but the politics in this show are too much. I don’t find them offensive either way, I simply find them annoying. If I wanted to watch political crap, I would watch the news. Its too bad, because season 1 was fairly funny and I enjoyed it. that said, I am done with this show…

23. Curtis Montgomery says:

I find it laughable that there are so many people who “can’t stand the show”, or “will no longer be DVR’ing it”, then take the time to not only read an article about the show they can’t stand or won’t watch, and comment on it!
    Complaining about Tim Allen’s jokes on a show staring him is like complaint about a show with Andrew Dice Clays jokes being to sexist or Kat Williams being black or Danny DeVito being short!
    Also, about the comment concerning multiple plot lines within a 30 minute show, are you kidding or stupid?
    It is defiantly not the formula for sitcom writing. It has been occasional used creativly to tie a topic from last episode and then move forward for next week, but usually used when the writing is so weak that a single topic cannot carry the show for even 30 minutes.

24. Jim and Melissa W. says:

My husband and I love watching Last Man Standing. Its a great show, and we are both looking forward to season 3. Recasting the oldest daughter we both were disappointed with that, the first actress seemed to be a much better fit with the other two girls, although I have to admit the new girl is starting to grow on me and it has not stopped me from watching the show because its just that good! Another thing I would like to point out is the little boy in the first season was so much younger than he is in the second season, why changed the age of the child as well as a different actress for the daughter? I was confused, but with the show being even better the second season , as they have all seemed to have found their mojo, I kept on watching, and cant wait till season 3!

25. SEO says:

I love to share information that will I have built up through the 12 months to help enhance team efficiency.