Exclusive: Chad Michael Murray Joins Southland

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Chad Michael Murray SouthlandChad Michael Murray has collared a plum Southland gig opposite fellow former teen idol Ben McKenzie, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The One Tree Hill vet will appear in multiple episodes of the TNT cop drama’s fifth season as Dave Mendoza, a likable cop who is a bit of a loose cannon. His off-duty behavior, however, may not always be the best influence on McKenizie’s Officer Sherman.

RELATED | Southland Promotes [Spoiler] to Series Regular in Season 5

Fun fact: McKenzie’s breakthrough role of Ryan Atwood on The O.C. was originally offered to Murray (who nixed it in favor of OTH). Small world.

Season 5 of Southland is set to premiere on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 10/9c.

Comments (43)

• You couldn’t have found a douchier photo of him if you tried

Comment by Will West – November 28, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just thinking the same thing.

Comment by Sam – November 28, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope someone takes this as a challenge.

Comment by steveo – November 28, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HAHA

Comment by Lauren – November 28, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s so perfect.

Comment by Viv – November 28, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh there has to be more considering who he is

Comment by MM – November 29, 2012 02:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well he is an extremely douchey guy so what do you expect?

Comment by Mark – November 28, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the exact same thing! Who cheats on Sophia Bush with Paris Hilton. Freaking idiot…

Comment by lucg19 – November 28, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This forever!

Comment by dude – November 28, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just to let you know….Chad Michael Murray did not cheat on Sophia Bish with Paris Hilton…it was all rumours spread by the press. Don’t believe everything you hear!
        Chad’s going to be awesome in this! :D

Comment by Anonymous – November 30, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …really? This seems like an odd fit.

Comment by Alex – November 28, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always feel like that with Southland casting – last year I thought, “Lucy Liu? Are they serious?” but it turned out awesome…so I have high hopes.

Comment by CJ – November 28, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lucy Liu was the best thing that happened to last season’s Southland. I adore the show and I regret that she didn’t stay. (She’s just as awesome in Elementary tho.)

Comment by napocskin – November 29, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She was really great. I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment by CJ – November 29, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprisingly a really cool guy in real life, gf had met him at a book signing. As a Southland fan I’m looking forward to this.

Comment by Logan DeRisa – November 28, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know if his personality with fans at one of his book signings is the best judge of his character.

Comment by dude – November 28, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a fan of Chad Michael Murray , so to see him back on TV it’s gonna be soooo good. Then to put him in uniform with some already talented cast on Southland…too excited!

Comment by Tracey – November 28, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope he bleaches his hair again :D That would be just the thing to make him a tad more douchey (it’s possible people!)

Comment by ivaddj – November 28, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So no Hispanics again this season? It’s LA for christ’s sake. This show has gotten whiter and whiter and whiter.

Comment by Disgusted – November 28, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure about him joining the show. It seems like he won’t fit in.

Comment by Stephanie – November 28, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ryan Atwood and Lucas Scott sharing a screen??? I don’t watch this show, but I will be soon.

Comment by High School Reunion – November 28, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually looking forward to the addition of Chad Michael Murray. Southland is such an awesome show. It’ll give CMM a change to exercise his acting chops.

Comment by Kash – November 28, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s been so long since I’ve seen a new Southland episode, I forgot the show existed. Now I miss it.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 28, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dam this is a pretty good get for CMM who i thought wouldnt get many good jobs and be stuck to Direct to DVD movies

Comment by gary – November 28, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesus! With whom did he sleep with to get that part? Just awful decision! He isn’t even a good actor. Heck, I can’t even call him “actor”. And judging by his character’s name he is Hispanic. Such a travesty.

Comment by Karoline – November 28, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he is a decent actor. OTH I always found to be extremely cheesy and the writing…well…but here’s the thing: Southland is phenomenal. The best thing on TV. It’s outstanding in every departement. More people need to watch it, so it’ll survive for another season. So I think this is perfect casting. It will pull more people in and I really have to admit: he’s gorgeous :-)

Comment by Kate – November 28, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • His character’s last name is Mendoza?!

Comment by Carrie – November 28, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSSSS

Comment by RobMF – November 28, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we retire the phrase “loose cannon” in reference to any television/movie police officer in the future? There are other ways to say temperamental ass.

Comment by dude – November 28, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES YES YES!!! Gonna watch this season HEY!!

Comment by Roni – November 28, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • but, ben mckenzie wasn’t a teen when he was on The OC so is he technically a teen idol? also, CMM is still around? hey man, cool, best of luck to you. i wish ben had more/better (network? HBO? AMC?) work than this. remember when we all thought he was the next russell crowe? le sigh.

Comment by TVwhorasaurus – November 28, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland is a great, gritty show. I only wish TNT would give it more than 10 epis a season, BUT as long as they keep renewing it, I’m thankful.

Comment by Chicago Dan – November 28, 2012 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lucas & Ryan! AWESOME!

Comment by Whatevah – November 29, 2012 01:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lolz, I thought he had faded into obscurity. I feel like Southland could do better…

Comment by Anna – November 29, 2012 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haters quit hating. Maybe he has grown and matured. He has replied to me several times on twitter and was a lot friendlier to me than hos ex was.

Comment by veronica – November 29, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is this Corey? This sounds like Corey.

Comment by ohmycorey – November 29, 2012 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I met Chad back in 07 and he was nice. Kudos to him for finding more work and on such a great show.

Comment by Alicia – December 1, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My man CMM

Comment by adexis – December 3, 2012 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chad has alwaz be my role model 4rm gilmore girls 2 oth 2 house of wax nt 2 mention the cinderella or christmas cupid so haters shud bak off

Comment by adexis – December 3, 2012 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ugh cantr see him in this role and he would not have been a good ryan atwood. and if he didnt cheat why did sofia divorce him so fast?

Comment by shadester – December 4, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quit hatin he was a good actor on Dawsons Creek..he had that it factor! He can’t help it that he is a pretty boy so quit hatin. I loved his reference in the movie step brothers by the d bag bro Derrick.lol

Comment by Edward Dillon – December 29, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping to see him in more episodes, miss seeing himn on TV

Comment by Marie – February 21, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post