Danielle Fishel Assures Boy Meets World Fans: Sequel Will Boast the 'Same Honesty, Intelligence'

Danielle Fishel Talks Girl Meets World PilotTopanga talks!

Shortly after TVLine revealed that Danielle Fishel — along with her longtime co-star Ben Savage — had officially signed on for Disney Channel’s buzzy pilot Girl Meets World, the actress used her Tumblr page to share some insight (and scoop?) on the prospective Boy Meets World sequel series.

GMW is a new show” for a new generation, but with “familiar faces, familiar themes, and familiar messages” to its predecessor, Fishel explained. “It will also have new faces, new themes and new messages,” she noted.

RELATED | Girl Meets World: 7 Possible Story Ideas!

“I do not know how many BMW cast members will be returning for GMW, or how often they may appear if and/or when they do appear,” Fishel shared, after extending many thanks to the original series’ supportive fans. “But because I have known [BMW creator] Michael Jacobs, Ben Savage, Rider Strong [who played Shawn], Will Friedle [Eric] and Bill Daniels [Mr. Feeny] for 19 years, I know we share many of the same feelings regarding the 7 wonderful years we spent making BMW. Those years were among the most warm, hilarious, insightful, educational years of my life and I wouldn’t trade them for the world.”

Addressing the concerns of many loyal Boy fans (as laid out here), Fishel noted that when it comes to evoking the original coming-of-age sitcom’s heart and integrity, “I promise with the entirety of my heart that we will make GMW with the same honesty, innocence and intelligence,” adding: “The first comment out of every person [involved]’s mouth was, ‘Let’s only do it if we think we can create something as special as we did with BMW.'”

PHOTOS | 20 Actors TVLine Readers Want Back on TV Immediately

In closing, Fishel urged that fans “please keep in mind that this will be episode 1, of season 1, of a brand new show. We started at the same place with BMW but we evolved and we evolved quickly. For those of you who knew and loved BMW, please allow this show to evolve as well. Stick with us. Give us a chance.”

Hit the comments with your thoughts on the latest Girl Meets World developments.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Pilots

1. Amanda says:

Love her and can’t wait for this show.

2. Liz says:

“Intelligence”? I wouldn’t go that far…

3. Elyse says:

i don’t know if i’ve ever been more excited for a TV show in my life.

4. Boiler says:

I love her request to give the show a chance. Too many people seem to fight change(Glee fans?). This is a new show so don’t expect it to be the old show

5. Amanda says:

Oh man, this makes my whole morning. Fingers crossed for Rider Strong to get in too.

6. Rob says:

All I know is that I watch BMW every morning on ABC Family and I personally can’t wait for this. It sounds more and more promising with each bit of news and there would be no pilot without either Ben Savage or Danielle Fishel, so this is incredible.

7. Jo3y says:

Gosh, now I’m stuck with this; how can I say ‘no’ to Danielle and Ben? Let’s hope for some magic from the original to be brought in here

8. Sam says:

I was watching reruns of the show the other day and i honestly forgot how deep it got sometimes. Shawn and Angela’s relationship, the time Shawn dressed as a girl for an article on sexual harassment, Cory teaching his class in middle school about prejudice. I appreciate it a little more now that i’m older.

• Eric says:

I know! I remember watching it when I was as young as seven, and while I loved it then, I was too young to appreciate the mature themes and storylines that the show presented. I recently purchased all seven seasons of the series for nostalgia’s sake, and now that I am nearing the end of my teenage years, I am finally old enough to see the show for what it was: a darn fine series. Sure, some of the jokes may have been cheesy and their outfits and hairstyles could be downright bad, but at the core of the show was heart, and a lot of it. BMW fans could really care about the characters. Sure, I’ll occasionally watch modern laugh-track comedies, like Big Bang Theory and Two And A Half Men, but I really couldn’t care less about what happens to those characters. I don’t feel like they’re a ‘part of the family’, so to speak. Boy Meets World was different. When Shawn became an alcoholic, I cried. I’ll admit it. I felt as though something terrible was happening to one of my friends. Charlie Harper being an alcoholic was just a part of the plot, and no one could care less. As long as GMW is able to provide the same heartbreaking, sob-inducing storylines that actually push the viewers to feel something, I’ll support this series to the end of the Earth and back.
      But, you know, I’d still prefer it wasn’t on the Disney Channel.

• It’s clear you’ve never watched BBT or you’d know that it’s not a “laugh track series”, as you dubbed it, but is “filmed in front of a live studio audience”, as they said back in the day.

• Eric says:

I do own all five seasons of BBT currently available on DVD and Blu-ray. I have seen every episode at least twice each, and I tune in to the new episodes every week (DVR’d, of course — 30 Rock gets priority every time). So I’d appreciate if you didn’t make assumptions. From watching the special features, I did indeed know that it was filmed live in front of a studio audience, I just misspoke, and totally misused the term ‘laugh track’. I was simply referring to a series in which laughter can be heard after a joke is told, be it canned laughter or that of an audience; basically all multi-cam comedies. My point was that BMW was one of the few that could actually hold its own and tell intelligent, original stories. As much as I love some of those shows, such as BBT and especially How I Met Your Mother, most of them do tend to stick to your traditional sitcom scenarios, leaving very little room for originality. There seems to be a strange connection between audible laughter and quality (Whitney, Last Man Standing, Guys With Kids, etc. < Community, Parks and Rec, Louie, Happy Endings, Cougar Town, New Girl, Ben and Kate, etc.). That is simply one boy's opinion, and I am not at all stating that my perception is fact; I don't want to get into the whole 'multi-cam vs. single-cam' argument… Though for the record, the latter would win any day of the week.

Besides, I wouldn't have been able to tell whether it was shot in front of an audience or whether they use a laugh track simply by watching the series, which for the record, I have; it's not like they ever show the audience on screen, and very few shows begin with the 'filmed in front of a live studio audience' voice-over anymore.

• Angela says:

I love what you said abut caring about the characters. So true. They seemed like kids I would want to hang out with, and I would’ve LOVED to have a teacher like Mr. Feeny (and I had quite a few great teachers, mind!). Every kid should be lucky to have a teacher like that. I also agree with Sam’s comments, too-the episode where Shawn dresses like a girl is both hysterical AND handles the issue well, and I always loved Shawn and Angela as a couple, they were so good together.

Hope that they can get more of the original cast on board for this, that’ll definitely add to the interest, but as it is, I’ll certainly be keeping my eyes peeled for this. Here’s hoping they can do it justice.

• dillon says:

i watch two hours a day of reruns on mtv2,(the only thing worth watching on that channel) and it daily takes me back to a tough but special time in my life… i am a man, a grown man, and i fight back tears, sometimes to no avail, everytime i watch it… please lord dont let this new show give the old one a bad name for the misguided youngsters of today! i still love topanga, amd infact have a girlfriend who looks remarkably similar… r.i.p feeney.

9. lorna says:

So excited. We need Eric and Feeny.

10. mia says:

These comments from her make me much more relaxed for what’s coming. I trust in her and the rest of the returning crew/cast.
    And I hope everyone heeds her warning to give the show a chance and to not just judge it on the pilot

11. Nate says:

I can’t wait for GMW. I would love to see Rider Strong as uncle Shawn to Cory and Topanga’s daughter Riley. What a cute show this will be for Disney Channel.

12. KSM says:

I mean, Shawn totally has to make cameos at least. Unless the flash forward episode became true!

13. Kacey says:

She basically just told the 90s generation to have some sense because Disney is making this for a new generation not us. Which I think is good because people are going to expecting this show to bring back their childhood when its not.

14. Ram510 says:

I guess if this is really happening, but with the current mess of shows Disney channle has I’m still worried about how this will turn out. Again I think they should just do a reunion movie or something

• tripoli says:

Not jumping on the band wagon myself. This show will be terrible. Y’all should start preparing yourselves for the disappointment.

15. Shikouchi says:

For all the clunkers that the Disney and Disney XD channels have on the air (and I agree with the sentiment many posters have expressed, there are a whole lot of them), they also produce and air both Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls, and those are two of the best examples of television programming, children’s or for any age, animated or otherwise, being produced today.

I’m willing to give it a chance. I grew up watching the show, just a little younger than the main characters, and experiencing my teen years as Cory and Topanga, and Shawn and Eric and the rest of the Matthews family.

There is a chance it could be a terrible show, but with BWM series creator Micheal Jacobs heading the show and Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel heading the cast, I’m more optimistic than pessimistic, and I think Danielle’s advice is solid.

Give it a chance, but don’t prejudge it.

16. M3rc Nate says:

Love the idea and cant wait to watch the show. Cause of her on that show, even though shes a lil odd looking…i still find her to be gorgeous and a total hot babe. :)

17. Stephanie says:

So excited! I will watch it every episode!

18. I grew up with this show, I am the same age as they were in the show and have to say I’m nervous but excited. Disney channel had better not screw this up like the teeny bopper crap that they air.

19. rachelle says:

I can’t wait! I don’t care for any negative comments people are making. BMW was a great show with values and heart and I would love to see those same qualities continued into a new show for a new generation. This news evokes memories of my childhood and makes me so happy!

20. james Clarke says:

I was Listening 2 wxtu 92.5 :when I heard girl meets would is coming in 2013. n its going be on Disney channel. I am glad they r bring back Danielle n ben. I hope they bring everybody back on the show. I am Happy they r coming back on tv. Danielle n ben n the new Members of girl meets would good luck. I hope its a hit. I can’t wait until the show starts in 2013.

21. Shaena Edmonds says:

Yay! Im so excited. That waz my favorite show as a kid and now I can dhare the new show with my daughter. Looking forward to more upcoming show information!!!!! :) :) :) :)

22. Eric says:

Feeny. Feeeeeny. Feheheheheheheheheeeeeennnny.

23. michelle says:

i would love to see GMW…im afraid disney will dumb it down and make it seem more childish like all there shoes do now.

24. Stephanie Kennedy says:

I am SO excited about this! But, I think it should be on ABC Family with the drama and comedy Disney Shows. Rather than on Disney Channel itef, because they now tend to attempt to turn ALL of their shows into musical shows like Hannah Montana! I want the same heartfelt kind of show, not one where Corey and Topanga’s daughter is a want-to-be rocket at…!!

25. Don says:

Can’t wait till gmw gets started. I loved BMW growing up and I can’t wait to share with my kids.

26. Aras says:

I really want Mr. Feeny to be in the show, however he most likely is either still at the college or retired (like the Reunion Episode when they were at Uni). Hopefully he’ll still be their neighbor and Cory’s parents gave him and Topanga the house or something.

27. Joe Petitjean says:

I watch all 7 seasons it was the best show on the air of it’s time never spoke down to the audience.

28. Sherad says:

Please put this on ABC family they gunna make it worse on Disney drama all that won’t be created on Disney

29. shannon says:

i grew up loving BMW…ive been hoping they would bring them back as parents!! I hope they bring back most of the original cast =) I loved how Eric use to say Feeeeee-naaaayyy lol

30. Sarah Vargas says:

I wonder when its going to air. I cant wait. I loved this cast/this couple growing up. I always hoped i married a cory matthews. <3

31. Danny Mcnulty says:

Will Harley Kiner be returning as the custodian of the Highschool~>

• Blake Miller says:

Is this the Danny McNulty that played Harley Keiner? I really hope so, and I really hope they bring Harley back. I always loved his character, and Mcnulty always played him perfectly.

32. Danny Mcnulty says:

Maybe Harley has a Neice that can be the bully?

33. Dan says:

I’m hoping that it will be somewhat to the original. Like all the drama an humor needs to be there. If you take it away and let Disney control how they can’t use any adult humor then it might go down hill. Feeny needs to be in it and Cory sometimes still needs lessons from him just like Alan did from feeny. Shawn and Eric need to come back and bring there life to the table and yes it’s about a girl but Bmw was about a boy but he wasn’t mr macho with his head up his ass. He was like every boy with a conscience and a heart acts like so don’t make it to girly otherwise people will not tune in for episode 2. I love BMW and I learned a lot of things from it so hopefully it can send the same message and possibly make the cast with a lot more originals. Jack too because him and Shawn still have a long way to go as brothers

34. April Matthews says:

I am so happy that the show is coming back. I grew up watching boy meets world and now my kids watch the reruns with me on abc. Also I never dreamed I would jus t so happen to marry a guy with the last name Matthews. I would like to see shawn back if knowone else.

35. Jordan Hall says:

knowing the Disney Channel theyll probably screw it up like the other crap on air such as Shake It Up,A.N.T Farm and the rest

36. Destiny says:

I grew up watching Boy Meets World, and all I could do was laugh during it because it had that comedy side of it that I liked. I know Girl Meets World will hopefully be the same. When I heard about Girl Meets World, I was so excited, because I wondered if they’d ever return for a sequel… so we could see Cory & Topanga again, and what their lives are like now compared to then. I also loved Shawn. But anyway. I can’t wait for GMW to finally air sometime this year. Stoked to see Cory & Topanga again on my T.V. screen doesn’t even explain the half of it.