Exclusive: Laurie Metcalf, Alex Borstein and Niecy Nash Join HBO Comedy Pilot Getting On

The Goodwin Games Season 1Roseanne‘s Laurie Metcalf, Family Guy‘s Alex Borstein and Reno 911‘s Niecy Nash are checking into Getting On, HBO’s medical comedy pilot from Big Love creators Mark. V. Olsen and Will Scheffer, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Based on the acclaimed BBC comedy of the same name, Getting On is a half-hour comedy that follows doctors, nurses and administrators working in the women’s geriatric wing of a hospital.

RELATED | Scoop: True Blood Adds English Hunk to Season 6 Cast as Sookie’s New Love Interest

Melcalf joins as Dr. Jenna James, the overworked temporary Director of Medicine juggling the gig with another one at a nearby hospital. She’s described as an odd duck who lacks any and all social skills. Borstein comes aboard as the head ward nurse named Dawn Forchette, who, while kind and compassionate, struggles with self-esteem and ultimately ends up in inappropriate sexual situations.

Nash, meanwhile, will play Marta Ortley, a big-hearted practical nurse who only recently returned to this line of work after the real estate market crashed.

Comments (12)

• Time hasn’t been kind to Metcalf.

Comment by Joey – November 27, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Time’s been just fine for her.

Comment by Josh – November 27, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds funny. A great cast so far.

Comment by jasie – November 27, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Copying the Brits–again!

Comment by Cy – November 27, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! I’ve been waiting for Laurie Metcalf to come back to TV full time! She is SO underrated.

Comment by Mika – November 27, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing wrong with copying the Brits. They have had the best ideas after all. As long as we can be true to the quality (sometimes we are, sometimes we’re not, lol). Laurie Metcalf. I will watch anything she’s in. Alex Borstein, same. Loved her on MadTV, loved her more on her GG stints; her rl husband’s character on GG? Well not so much since he was nothing but a whiny little girl on that. Niecy Nash, not a fan because she just seems loud.

Comment by april-ann – November 27, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • isnt niecy on a tv show right now?

Comment by mario – November 27, 2012 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Soul Man on TVLand, yes. I believe it also received a second season pick-up, though I wonder if shooting schedules for both shows are different, since TVLand’s seasons tend to run shorter than those on network television.

Comment by Summer – November 27, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay! I’ll watch anything with Laurie Metcalf is on!

Comment by Jermey – November 28, 2012 02:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the filming schedule for the HBO series will leave time for Laurie Metcalf to make occasional appearances as Sheldon’s mom on “Big Bang Theory” – love her in that role!!

Comment by Gwen – November 28, 2012 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is excellent. I love it. My mom us 91, and this show us a good reminder of why we are keeping her at home! Love the cast. Outstanding.

Comment by Judith Rotruck – November 26, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Laurie MetCalf, one of the most under-rated comedic actresses I’ve come across. She has out done herself!! She is funny in Big Bang Theory but boy has she brought in her ‘A’ game in Getting On. Her unbelievable fake smile throws me off my seat. When she stresses out on this show, I burst out laughing so hard, tears run down my face. Can’t contain myself when she’s on the screen. Bravo lady.

Comment by Sofie Tonoyan – March 4, 2014 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post