Exclusive

Exclusive: Laurie Metcalf, Alex Borstein and Niecy Nash Join HBO Comedy Pilot Getting On

The Goodwin Games Season 1Roseanne‘s Laurie Metcalf, Family Guy‘s Alex Borstein and Reno 911‘s Niecy Nash are checking into Getting On, HBO’s medical comedy pilot from Big Love creators Mark. V. Olsen and Will Scheffer, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Based on the acclaimed BBC comedy of the same name, Getting On is a half-hour comedy that follows doctors, nurses and administrators working in the women’s geriatric wing of a hospital.

RELATED | Scoop: True Blood Adds English Hunk to Season 6 Cast as Sookie’s New Love Interest

Melcalf joins as Dr. Jenna James, the overworked temporary Director of Medicine juggling the gig with another one at a nearby hospital. She’s described as an odd duck who lacks any and all social skills. Borstein comes aboard as the head ward nurse named Dawn Forchette, who, while kind and compassionate, struggles with self-esteem and ultimately ends up in inappropriate sexual situations.

Nash, meanwhile, will play Marta Ortley, a big-hearted practical nurse who only recently returned to this line of work after the real estate market crashed.

1. Joey says:

Time hasn’t been kind to Metcalf.

2. jasie says:

Sounds funny. A great cast so far.

3. Cy says:

Copying the Brits–again!

4. Mika says:

Yay!!! I’ve been waiting for Laurie Metcalf to come back to TV full time! She is SO underrated.

5. april-ann says:

Nothing wrong with copying the Brits. They have had the best ideas after all. As long as we can be true to the quality (sometimes we are, sometimes we’re not, lol). Laurie Metcalf. I will watch anything she’s in. Alex Borstein, same. Loved her on MadTV, loved her more on her GG stints; her rl husband’s character on GG? Well not so much since he was nothing but a whiny little girl on that. Niecy Nash, not a fan because she just seems loud.

6. mario says:

isnt niecy on a tv show right now?

• Summer says:

Soul Man on TVLand, yes. I believe it also received a second season pick-up, though I wonder if shooting schedules for both shows are different, since TVLand’s seasons tend to run shorter than those on network television.

7. Jermey says:

yay! I’ll watch anything with Laurie Metcalf is on!

8. Gwen says:

I hope the filming schedule for the HBO series will leave time for Laurie Metcalf to make occasional appearances as Sheldon’s mom on “Big Bang Theory” – love her in that role!!

9. This show is excellent. I love it. My mom us 91, and this show us a good reminder of why we are keeping her at home! Love the cast. Outstanding.

10. Sofie Tonoyan says:

Laurie MetCalf, one of the most under-rated comedic actresses I’ve come across. She has out done herself!! She is funny in Big Bang Theory but boy has she brought in her ‘A’ game in Getting On. Her unbelievable fake smile throws me off my seat. When she stresses out on this show, I burst out laughing so hard, tears run down my face. Can’t contain myself when she’s on the screen. Bravo lady.

11. Renee Callanan says:

Getting On is the best damn show on HBO. I was a nurse in the medical field for 40 years and they nailed it. The things I could say about the medical field, including doctors, nurses and all the ancillary staff that I have worked with in the medical field makes me laugh. I am amazed at all the actors, the writing staff, and direction. Every character is great in its representation of that individual subject.
    Please stay on for a very long time. Much better than Rosanne or any other show Laurie Metcalf has been in. Good going Laurie!!!!