Downton Abbey Renewed for Season 4

Get More: News, Renewals

Downton Abbey Renewed for Season 4Three weeks after airing Downton Abbey‘s Season 3 finale in the UK — and six weeks ahead of that cycle’s Stateside premiere on PBS — ITV has picked up the acclaimed drama for Season 4.

Though no formal announcement has been made yet by PBS, the broadcaster is expected to air the fourth season here in the U.S.

VIDEO | Downton Abbey Actresses Tease a ‘Much More Grown-Up’ Season 3

Touting the renewal, exec producer Gareth Neame said in a statement, “Viewers can look forward to more drama, comedy, love, hatred, jealousy, rivalry, ambition, despair and romance.” ITV exec Laura Mackie added, “We’re thrilled to welcome back a drama series that has become a much anticipated part of all our lives every autumn and achieved success around the globe. [Series creator] Julian Fellowes and the production team, led by Gareth and the producer Liz Trubridge, never rest on their laurels and have exciting plans” for Season 4.

As noted above, Downton aired its Season 3 finale on ITV earlier this month, and will cap that run with the traditional Christmas special airing Dec. 25 across the pond. Production on Season 4′s eight new episodes/Christmas special will commence in February 2013.

Stateside, Downton Season 3 will premiere Jan. 6, 2013 on PBS. (Watch the trailer below.) In the interim, a Season 2 recap/Season 3 preview special, Downton Abbey Revisited, will air Nov. 25 on PBS.

Comments (34)

• Shocker. :)

Comment by Janey – November 23, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But will Dan Stevens be back?

Comment by J – November 23, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dan Stevens has to realize he can’t leave the series! All that angst we had to go through until Matthew finally got together with Mary can’t just be cut short! A LIFE LIVED TOGETHER was the crux of the glorious Christmas proposal. Not fair! We will not forgive him!

Comment by victoria angeles – November 28, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No he wont

Comment by Susanna – December 7, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan Stevens and Maggie Smith need to come back. They are the life’s breath and soul f this show (as is Carson. Gotta love Carson)

Comment by mayiread – November 23, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t love Carson

Comment by Rrrrrr – November 23, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ohh you don’t know what you’re missing… Carson is stiff on the outside but all mushy on the inside. I actually love the character.

Comment by Tinemi – November 23, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maggie Smith is committed to season 4!

Comment by anita – February 16, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Figured as much, but so happy :)

Comment by Marianne – November 23, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!!!

Comment by Lorie – November 23, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!

Comment by Linderella – November 23, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I recall reading somewhere that Maggie Smith won’t be returning for another season. Her character is old, so death would logically occur at some point. But the show wouldn’t be as good without her. At any rate, it’s great news DA has been renewed.

Comment by Larc – November 23, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maggie Smith must come back. I can’t imagine DA without her.

Comment by Reward – November 23, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was half way through season 1 of Downton Abbey and it was dragging (seemed to me to be lots of unlikable characters and pointless “drama”). Should I resume watching? Does it get better?

While wandering away I stumbled onto BBC Sherlock and haven’t I looked back since – as it’s smart, funny, and I’m very invested – in all the characters. I care about them. DA – not so much (not at all). Is that apt to change on DA – or are they apples and oranges?

Comment by ladyhelix – November 23, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same way. I tried watching season one and found it a little boring and wasn’t rooting for anyone but the cute red head maid. Everyone seems to love it so maybe it picks up with season 2.

Comment by Aaron – November 23, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you don’t love season one, you’ll never love it. And anyway, the cute maid is not in it beyond season one.

Comment by ben – November 23, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Season 1 was pretty good, I thought, but season 2 was extremely disappointing and soapy in a really bad way. If you didn’t like season 1, I think you’d hate season 2. A lot of their storylines that were supposed to be dramatic just ended up making me laugh with their ridiculousness. Like the Canadian con artist who pretended to be the dead British cousin that died on the Titanic and had had amnesia all those years he was missing. You see…the amnesia didn’t just make him forget he was an heir to a great fortune…it also made him forget to speak with a British accent and he thus adopted the Canadian accent! That was an actual storyline. I haven’t decided if I’m sticking around for season 3 or not. I think they should have quit while they were ahead, but that’s just my opinion. I’m sure there are millions of others who would disagree with me.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 23, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Britta – season 2 felt off because of the war drama, I think – a lot of things felt very detached. Stick with season 3, it’s much more like season one. The drama is in the little things again. The only thing which remains detached is Bates.

Comment by ben – November 23, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched all 3 seasons. Honestly, it has some good episodes in latter seasons, but season 1 was much better IMO.

Comment by Sara – November 23, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love both shows, but they are as oil and water, so different. I don’t think you will like it if it didn’t captured you the first time… but who knows, give it a try and if the answer is still no, at least you tried :)

Comment by Tinemi – November 23, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well duh…

Comment by Barb – November 23, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dan stevens and michelle dockery were completely wasted in series 3. they became boring after getting married.

Comment by LJW – November 23, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The life of newlywed toffs is going to be fairly boring. I’m fine with a tinge more of reality and mundanity than each week having a scarred mystery wounded soldier turning the whole thing into a Nancy Drew story.
      Its a class opera, not a whodunit.

Comment by Zedd – November 23, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 3 was pretty good,the last episode didn’t even feel like a season finale.

Comment by Shaun – November 23, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s probably because of this year’s Christmas special. Here in the US that is our season finale as PBS airs it the week after the original season 3 finale airs.

Comment by Amanda – November 24, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear it. Season 1 was good, 2 not so much and 3 was a lot better. Can’t wait to see where 4 goes. I also remember there being something about a prequel involving Lord Grantham and his wife before they got married. I know it was picked up by ITV but don’t know when it will air. Can’t wait for this years Christmas episode.

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – November 23, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show and season 3 was great. Bate will always be my favorite character in this series. I hope season 4 can manage to work in Thomas taking a bullet to the face instead of the hand somehow. Is there a Christmas episode this year? I know that the season 3 Bluray is already out in the UK so now I am wondering.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – November 24, 2012 01:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Bates

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – November 24, 2012 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, the special will be on Christmas day in the UK and will be the season 3 finale for us here in the US.

Comment by Amanda – November 24, 2012 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The actor who plays Carson will forever be known to me as the hilarious French Resistance fighter in Top Secret. Anyone get a chance to watch that film…he damned funny.

Comment by Scribe – November 24, 2012 02:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just heard Dan Stevens (Matthew) is leaving the show and won’t be involved in Season 4 (minus the Christmas episode and maybe the first official episode of the season) – is this true??? Currently the Daily Mail, Huff Post, and some other news outlets are reporting an “insider” is saying this….god I hope not! It wouldn’t be the same without him!!

Comment by KJ – November 27, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no! this cannot happen…..Matthew cannot leave…who will manage Downton from falling…and his son…what will happen when there isn’t Matthew there to raise his heir with Mary?

Comment by cheah – February 15, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when is season 4 starting?

Comment by Linda – March 4, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post