The X Factor Recap: Thanksgiving Up the Ghost

emblem3 x factorDear Santa,

I’ve tried to be a good boy this year — and not just because I want a new pony. The problem is, my job requires me to watch The X Factor for a living, and it’s turning me into a monster.

No, seriously, the cynical, horrible questions that went through my mind during Top 10 performance night left me feeling like I’d booked a one-way ticket to Hell; now it’s just a matter of whether I’m going express or local.

What kinds of questions am I contemplating, you ask? Oh, I dunno: As Diamond White talked about how her mother “died on the operation table” during surgery for scoliosis, I was overcome with the urge to Google “Can you really die from scoliosis?” Later, as the kind of annoying chick from Fifth Harmony gave a tearful account of how she was born at a mere 1 lb, 4 oz, a little voice in my head said, “I wonder if producers fact-checked that info with her local hospital.”

See? The X Factor has released the Kraken, and the Kraken is me!

Other burning questions that percolated during the telecast: Doesn’t Tate Stevens have anything more depressing to talk about than his dad giving up his own music dreams to provide a solid living for their family? That’s just good common sense, not a tragedy! Did Vino Alan just pull a Kristy Lee Cook by singing a song that makes you feel like a traitor to your country if you don’t throw a couple votes his way? Have the guys of Emblem3 changed their shirts since Judges’ Houses round? Does Britney Spears know the difference between an Arin Ray and a Carly Rose Sonenclar? (Spoiler alert: Probably not.)

But Santa, the thing you need to know is I’m not the Grinch. I’m not Scrooge. I’m not even Vanessa Williams in A Diva’s Christmas Carol. I got totally choked up hearing CeCe Frey talk about how her older sister died at age seven from cerebral palsy. My heart broke for Paige Thomas hearing her talk about how at age six, she lost her mother on Christmas Eve. I didn’t even throw anything at my TV screen when they cut to a shot of Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, and those other people who are always on E!.

It’s just that piled into one sloppy heap of emotional manipulation, this week’s X Factor “Thanksgiving”-themed telecast was a tough plate to digest. I tune in to this show every week to watch wannabe singing stars compete with their voices and with their creativity for a record contract — not to reward one of ‘em with $5 million for having endured the greatest degree of hardshup and horror in the course of their young lives.

And when these sob stories get harvested from the individual (and totally innocent) contestants, then placed on a conveyor belt to be sterilized, shaped, and packaged for mass consumption, it makes for the strangest kind of viewing experience. Do I laugh? Do I cry? Do I work through my feelings by sending hate Tweets at Mario Lopez for dropping verbal bombs like “It’s all right. I was a fat baby, too”? Is this why Khloe Kardashian’s facial expression keeps alternating between frozen grin and total nothingness? Is she suffering an existential crisis, too?

I don’t know, Santa. It’s only one night in a long series of nights of The X Factor‘s second season. Maybe Top 8 week won’t be so bad. I promise I’ll bring my most upbeat, positive attitude to next week’s show — as long as you promise to vote 10 times for Beatrice Miller.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Slezak

p.s. Here are my grades for this week’s performances (I’m keeping my critiques as short as Britney’s because it’s Thanksgiving eve, y’all, and I need my proper rest if I’m going to be named 2012 Eating Champion after dinner with my in-laws):

Diamond White: Celine Dion’s “Because You Loved Me” | Her vocal was so spot-on, I didn’t even mind the cliché of a Gospel chorus emerging from behind the curtains on the final refrain. L.A.’s “get it, girl!” head-bobbing said it all. Grade: A-

Carly Rose Sonenclar: “Over the Rainbow” | Yowza, this youngster has more vocal horsepower than five Paiges, three CeCes, and a Demi combined. And while there’s part of me that wished she sang a little more from the heart, and a little less from the head, there’s no point in denying she’s a major talent. (Anyone wondering if she can coast to the finale without ever again going uptempo?) Grade: A-

Beatrice Miller: Snow Patrol’s “Chasing Cars” | I know, I know…half of Beatrice’s big showy notes were as wobbly as Aunt Nancy’s Thanksgiving Jell-O mold, but on a visceral level, I just didn’t care — partially because it was clear the kid was a little choked up, and partially because she’s the most (only?) emotionally raw contestant in the competition. For me, when Beatrice sings, it’s more about feeling the music rather than listening to it, and that’s why she gets…a B+

Fifth Harmony: The Pretenders’ “I’ll Stand By You” | I was really looking forward to seeing whether or not the girls would/could successfully harmonize this week, but alas, I couldn’t hear them over the full Gospel choir Simon brought in to bolster their pretty sound. Also, dare I say usual MVP Camilla was a tad off her game tonight? Grade: B

Emblem3: OneDirectionRepublic’s “Secrets” | These guys may not have the most distinctive tones to their voices or the best grasp of pitch, but they do have charisma and chemistry, and a penchant for arranging their songs in a way that makes them seem ready for real-world success. I just wish the judges would dole out constructive criticism — be careful of going too nasal! don’t rely so much on the wave-one-arm-from-side-to-side move! — rather than L.A.’s ridiculous comments about not showing enough pre-Thanksgiving emotion. Really, dude, the telecast wasn’t maudlin enough for your taste??? (Side note: Anyone else notice the blond one couldn’t even keep his shirt on while building homes for earthquake victims in the Dominican Republic? Good grief.) Grade: B-

Vino Alan: Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA” | I thought we’d established Vino as a classic soul singer last week, no? Which is another way to say that this hokey slice of Americana just didn’t look as good on his voice. Grade: B-

Tate Stevens: Lonestar’s “I’m Already There” | The song choice, the staging and the delivery were about bland as an empty pie crust. And yes, Tate’s voice broke several times during the performance, despite Khloe insisting otherwise. (KHLOE YOU ARE NOT A JUDGE, OKAY?) Grade: C+

CeCe Frey: Bette Midler’s “Wind Beneath My Wings” | Two weeks running, Demi has saddled CeCe with grand diva ballads that lay bare all of her vocal shortcomings, particularly when she’s doing anything other than full-throttle belting. Why not give her an upbeat sing-speak ditty like “We R Who We Are” or “Straight Up” or “Can’t Get You Out of My Head” that might allow CeCe to sound better than the artist she’s covering, rather than sending her into a war for which she has neither the right training or ammunition? Grade: C*

Arin Ray: Enrique Iglesias’ “Hero” | I’m kinda glad Arin dedicated this shlocky romantic ballad to his brother — since the awkwardness of it all momentarily distracted me from how listless and pitchy he sounded. And while it’s unfortunate that the kid has been saddled with songs that quash his natural showmanship, it’s pretty unlikely he’ll get another week to redeem himself. (p.s. LA, you can’t call it a “great song choice” and in the same breath declare it was “too big” for the vocalist in question. THAT IS THE VERY DEFINITION OF A POOR SONG CHOICE!) Grade: D+

Paige Thomas: Britney Spears’ “Everytime” | In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I’m going to say something nice about Paige’s performance. At least, unlike the original artist, she didn’t lipsync it, right? Grade: D+*

(*graded on a curve because honest to goodness, are we gonna blame CeCe or Paige for barely holding it together after those pre-performance packages?)

Anyhow, with that, let me turn things over to you:

Who were your favorites from The X Factor‘s Top 10 performance telecast? Who’s most likely to get cooked come Thanksgiving night? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. BarbL says:

I have to be honest and say I’m so very, very sick of “Somewhere over.” No matter who sings it, I’m sick of it, unless you’re Israel “IZ” Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole. And he passed away so that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.
    I liked Vino most this time around, and thought Tate did really well. I don’t know what Simon was talking about when he said Tates voice broke. I didn’t hear that.
    Simon was rude to Vino, in his remarks to Carly. He deserves to have Kloe sit on his lap and make him squirm and turn beet red again.

2. Stop reading my comment and call 1-855-843-9307 to vote for Beatrice

3. rod says:

at the middle of the show i had to turn the volume off whenever they show the pre-perfomance packages cause my heart couldnt take it anymore, carly, beatrice and 5th harmony were my faves thou

4. Claire says:

It’s One Republic not One Direction

5. Emily says:

I still like Emblem3, but maybe I’m biased. But, I thought they did pretty well tonight.

And Slezak, I believe Embem3 sang OneRepublic’s Secrets, not One Directions.

6. Sam says:

If there is any god in the universe, Emblem3, Tate, and Carly Rose will duke it out in the finale. Fitting, since they’re the only three acts that could sell some serious records.

7. Lauri says:

Can someone please explain to me how Paige stayed over Jennel when she sings badly every single week? Tonight just proved that they should’ve kept Jennel, but we already knew that. Ridiculous.

• bip says:

meh, that Proud Mary performance was awful, imho, I wasn’t sad to see her go. Paige can go next tho

• Maris says:

The thing about Jennel’s elimination is that even though it broke my heart, it was fair. Jennel had better performances than Paige but if you only compare their “save me” performance, Paige did do better than Jennel. But even after her good permormance of Paradise she’s still doing badly overall so, if she doesn’t leave I’ll probably be bitter until she does. (also, Arin Ray, but whatever)

8. Jess says:

Hey, did anyone else notice lines on Diamond White’s wrist during her glory note? Does she cut herself?

9. kavyn says:

I have severe scoliosis, and I’d like to clarify that we don’t have a 50/50 chance to live. Scoliosis surgery is also not a 50/50 thing. I’m pretty sure something went wrong during Diamond’s mom’s surgery that gave her a 50/50 chance of surviving it, but the surgery itself is not 50/50 chance. That was pretty ridiculous.

10. FreeHaley says:

tonight perhaps:
    1. Carly
    2. Beatrice (had more connection though….)
    then
    I guess Vino and then 5th then DW

tough to call anyone bottom this week considering everything but I guess Paige seemed weakest and Tate seemed same old plus a little weaker then I guess Arin.

Funny how Carly always seems a bit produced somehow, even her backstory ‘surprise’ greeting was the only one that seemed like it had been re-shot and like she had to try to actively act surprised on a re-shoot, could swear you could see her strike a pose and count down the seconds to her cue hah, but whatever, who knows, it doesn’t matter anyway, she sang well and it was pretty incredible.

11. Tim says:

I liked CeCe a lot more when she was the sexy, confident, evil bitch.

• ThatBob says:

True dat. They have bleached all the fun out of her and absolutely trashed her confidence. Thanks, Demi.

• Shy says:

Agree. I hated her. But I respected her. She was this full of herself bitch that didn’t care about anything and about any opinion. Them Demi took her over and now we have this person with awful hair color. And who tries to beg for sympathy from public by fake crying. And she is just not convincing.
      Demi is just a bad judge. She does not belong here. She doesn’t have talent enough to “produce” other performers. I’m sure they will show her the door next year.

12. Owen says:

I sorta love everything about Beatrice but her voice…she has gone sharp and flat on EVERY song she has sung since Judge’s Houses. EVERY SINGLE TIME. She is adorable and sweet but does Slezak (and those who follow him with no taste of their own) just remember how good Beatrice once was as opposed to how mediocre to bad she’s been every live performance? I sorta understand what he says about the emotional disconnect when Carly sings, but please. That girl’s instrument has proven to be flawless when Beatrice’s is just flawed. You can’t keep voting her at the top merely because you WANT her to be better than she is. Even Melinda has somewhat swallowed Slezak’s Kool Aid about Beatrice and that’s somewhat shocking to me.

• BarbL says:

I think Bea would be good in a Disney movie or show. I think she could sing well where where she can do re-takes.
      I don’t get Carly love, myself, but don’t have anything against her voice; I’ll just wait until she grows up and then see how she sounds. I just am sick of the material they’ve been handing her.

• JO says:

Agreed. I know she’s only 13, but I actually can’t stand her. She knows she’s amazing and she sounds amazing, but she’s from broadway. What is she doing in an amateur singing comepetion? She needs to work on her facial expressions, she does weird things with her mouth. That’s what i’ll critique her on given her voice is flawless, but I hope she doesn’t win as there are other guys (Vino, Tate, Fifth Harmony) that should win this thing, and need the money more than she does I’m sure.

• JO says:

Oh and I think this show if fixed, why is she always performing last?? That’s usually the spot that gives the contestant the most votes since it’s fresh in voters mind… weird, I hope they make her sign first next episode. And while I’m at this, please please please, for the love of God get rid of Khloe !!!!! She sucks! And can someone please tell her to stop flirting with Simon, makes me sick.

• Mike says:

I’m sorry but when did the competition turn into a need based scholarship? They’re judging it on talent….not who “needs” it more. With that much talent at such a young age they can work with her on the things like facial expression and it won’t be that big of a deal. Hell, if she doesn’t win this I’ll bet there will be a line to sign her.

• jaxguy says:

It seems we have become a culture of criticizing great voices. Carly is the best singer on the show. Too bad we like quirky better. That doesn’t mean singers like Beatrice and a couple of others aren’t great in their own right, but I worry about people who come on these sites and criticize a BRILLIANT vocalist like Carly. So that all of you don’t think I am against unique vocalist, I felt Josh should have won last year over Melanie, although she has a beautiful voice. But this year Carly is the better singer and Vino is no Josh and Tate is good but will only really appeal to country fans, although everyone who likes him will argue that point on here. They will insist, even though they aren’t country fans, he is great, and should win. But these are the same people who think Taylor Swift and Lady Antebellum are really country acts. (They are not.) But if you want to hear America’s taste just listen to top 40 radio, or Justin Bieber and you will get my point.

• JudyVee says:

OK, thank you for mentioning Josh Krajcik. I had to get on youtube and watch his videos – At Last, First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Hallelujah, etc. – and every single one of them was better than anything on X Factor this year. And we get to see him soon – he’s performing on the show on November 29! Also gotta say the 2 new judges make Paula and Nicole look like really good judges – whodathunk?

• ben says:

Like Toy Story 3, you mean?

• teatime says:

Beatrice is one of my 2 favorites in this competition and has been since we first heard her sing at the judge’s house. Even if her performances are flawed, they are better than the flawed performances of Arin, or Cece, or Paige, or Diamond, or Tate, or Emblem 3, or Fifth Harmony. If she ends up in the top 3 with Carly and Vino then maybe I will need to consider if she is too ‘flawed’ to win this.

13. T_T says:

Michael Slezak,

You are hilarious. I was totally entertained upon reading this recap. You’re amazing. And excuse me for inserting this here but I did like Emblem3′s performance tonight. Carly, Vino and Diamond were good too.

Love,
    T (on Britney Spears peg)

14. Jordan says:

While it was a heartwarming episode, that has to be ignored when looking at this. It’s a singing competition, and unfortunately, Paige and CeCe were terrible. CeCe has moments where I like her, but overall, it’s never a consistent performance.

Carly Rose and Diamond had the performances I loved tonight.

Also, I get that Emblem3 has great energy and can sell records, but why do the judges keep ignoring their vocal problems? There are so many wrong notes throughout that I can hardly stand it.

On a show note, I thought tonight’s format worked so much better. I like Khloe and Mario separate with her backstage. They both seem much more in their element, and there is less running over each other and taking each other’s lines.

15. jack says:

Cece’s best yet.

1. Carly
    2. Vino
    3. Tate
    4. Diamond
    5. cece
    6. emblem 3
    7. 5th harmony

Paige goes instantly. Arin/Beatrice sing-off. Judges kick Arin off.

16. Jason says:

I have to disagree about Khloe Kardashian. I feel she is improving every week. I actually enjoy when she questions the contestants after they sing and her banter with the judges is getting better and better. I didn’t even notice her reading from the teleprompter this week! I though she was awful the first few shows like the rest of you but she has definitely improved.

• JO says:

Nope, she’s still awful. She needs the boot.

• GreenPaper says:

I kinda agree with Jason. Khloe’s getting better and I’m started to enjoy her as a host. Better than the robotic Mario !

• Lana says:

I agree with Jason, she is getting better. I do like it when she makes the judges explain their throwaway comments. If the judge says they wouldn’t have picked that song then by God make them say what song they would have picked. You go girl!! I am not a Kardashian fan but this Khloe has got me in her corner.

17. Johanna says:

I have been converted to a Carly FAN. She was stunning tonight. Prior to this week’s show she wasn’t doing for me, but now I’m all in for Carly. I miss Lyric – I think they are so creative and original. I hope they are a success in the music industry, especially Lyric da Queen.

• Jason says:

I agree! There hasn’t been a performance that good on any reality singing show this year as far as pure singing! She should easily win the competition! Especially when some of the other girls start dropping off she should get their votes and be able to easily beat the country guy!

18. Tim says:

There’s no doubt Carly is a great technical singer, but there’s something about her that leaves me cold. It’s exactly how I felt about Melanie Amaro last year.

• ETG says:

Yes, and we ALL know exactly how successful Melanie has been so far…. (rolls eyes)….

• Tim says:

Yes, that’s exactly my point. In order to sell records, you can’t just be a great singer. There are plenty of great singers, but only a handful have that something special that makes them a star. iyam Carly doesn’t have it.

• gregk says:

One can also compare Carly to Jackie Evancho, and Jackie shows so much more childlike enthusiasm and thus is more warm and likable. If you’ve seen her sing on Jay Leno and similar shows you will know why; she jumps up and down with boundless joy after her performances.

19. greysfan says:

I really dislike Emblem3. I don’t get them. Mind you Arin, Cece and Paige have to be the 3 next to leave the show.

Carly Rose is the star of the competition. She deserves to go all the way to the top. Fifth Harmony are good too as well as Beatrice. I don’t get the Tate hype though. Dunno what it is but she doesn’t do anything for me and i love country music. A huge fan of it.

• Laura_Aurelia says:

You just expressed my thoughts PERFECTLY.

I’m not really a fan of country music anyway, so I don’t get the Tate hype at all.

I normally love Vino Alan, but I hated the song choice. Just because the entire “Bless the United States of America, it’s the only place where freedom exists blah blah blah” is completely ridiculous. I felt like they wanted to brainwash the audience into voting for him.

My top this week:
      1. Carly
      2. Diamond
      3. Fifth Harmony
      4. Beatrice

20. Lukien says:

Dear Slezak,
    You should THANK GOD that at least you have a job, while many are jobless. At least you didn’t bring up about getting wasted while watching it. Still you can’t resist to dish Britney again. Like the name of Bobby’s boat: “Jealous Much?”
    Raise your Pinot,
    Lukien

• teatime says:

@Lukien, Michael’s being humorous and reflecting a lot of the opinions and actions of other viewers of the show. That’s his job.

• Stacey says:

Nah. I think it’s own personal opinion. Slamming Britney for lipsyncing in the past. Well there are not that many artists these days who doesn’t at some point. And he’s forgetting Britney actually recorded Everytime first. So who cares if she lipsyncs the song at times. She originally recorded it. And Paige started well. But in the end, I would have wanted Britney’s version of the song. Not Paige’s. Paige lost the essence of the song. Even if I get why she was so emotional! I am not sure it was the wisest choice for Paige. It was pandering to pick a Britney song!

• lukien says:

I dont see any humors in it, just plain sarcarms and insults in most of his recaps. He used to be funny tho, long time ago in another site.

• JASon says:

Have to agree! Mostly he is just unfunny and unimaginative with awful taste in music! Personally I usually skip over his recaps and like to read the comments of people who actually have good taste in music!

• db says:

mike is right on. that was the sappiest piece of crap fest on a television not worthy of your time. Hard to be funny when they are so offensive that it makes your head hurt with or without the wine. Matter of fact, if you didn’t drink I don’t know how you would get through that telecast. Maybe with a mute button…lol…but that defeats the purpose don’t it.

21. Phill says:

save beatrice miller!!!!!!

22. ugh says:

I think I’m going to Hell too, Slezak… I didn’t shed a single tear this episode but I did a lot of ‘are you kidding me, you’re using that tragedy to further yourself on a reality tv show, eye rolling’. I don’t know why I watch this show when it ain’t a job requirement for me and I hate it so much, someone please help me!

23. scrutinizer says:

really surprised there isn’t more commentary here about how amazing diamond is.
    her performance tonight was so stellar and powerful, not only for a 13 year old, but also compared to the other performers. her phrasing sensibility and musical choices are so right on it’s uncanny. and you could see in the judges eyes and hear it in their voices that she is headed straight for stardom. i voted for her and hope america recognizes her talent as keenly as i do.

• TiaGata says:

The only one that got any emotion out of me was DIAMOND WHITE. I’ve watched this over 4 times and still she’s the only one that impressed me last night. Then there was Vino…

• Maris says:

She’s talented yes, but she’s not the best. I think out of Carly and Diamond, Diamond is the one that has always felt more robotic and fake so I like her less, besides, that trainwreck of a performance that was Soul Sister is still carved in my mind making me cringe at the thought of it.

• TiaGata says:

I beg to differ on the robotic part of your comment – the robot is the girl who sings because she can, not because “she cares” – I hope you understand my point. For me that is CRS, I’ve seen her type of “singing” on each and every one of the singing competitions, and eventually they get the boot. The last person that tried to win by being technically flawless was Jessica Sanchez on AI. I haven’t liked CRS since her “basic” audition.

24. Snow says:

I wasn’t impressed by Fifth Harmony, but I didn’t really see what you were saying about Camila. She seemed better this week than last, but still not as standout as we’ve seen her

25. Lara says:

Oh my gosh… X factor really sucks this year… Last year i used to think they could not make things worst but i am over thrown… So much pitchiness that is just very unpleasant. Why, why, why?

26. BethT says:

I get that Carly is technically great. But her rendition of SotR left me cold. All style, zero emotion. I never got the impression she was singing to her brother or in honor of her brother – just that she was singing words and trying to figure out what would make a good recording. I guess that went with her totally unconvincing re-enactment of her brother surprising her, and the disjointed story of how her brother was her “rock” when her mother suffered a stroke – even though the brother never seemed to make an appearance in the story. Unless he was the one her dad was on the phone with. I’m sure the situation was frightening for a young girl, but I just couldn’t follow that one…

It’s amazing how dismal some of these “voices” sound when one is otherwise engaged in preparing Thanksgiving food and only listening. I’m sure CeCe’s story will keep her from the boot she deserves for being unable to sing on-key. Same with Paige. I felt bad for Arin, who has mostly been saddled with dreck. He should get the chance to “be himself”, but I can’t imagine he will survive the week, even if CeCe and Paige were worse. Arin wasn’t so much better he could overcome the apparent lack of fan base.

Tate sounded completely generic, though at least I could tell he was connected to the song, thanks to that one little crack. I agree with Michael on 5th Harmony – I couldn’t tell them apart form the gospel choir. I just do not get Emblem3 or that stupid one-armed move they do that looks like they are trying to be gangsta, though I thought they sounded good tonight. It’s too bad their “spiritual leaders” weren’t able to instill humility in them while they were helping the boys become better persons.

I thought Diamond sounded very good tonight. And even though Beatrice did not have a the best vocal of the night, I absolutely felt the most during her song. However, she is also getting screwed with the song choices. As much as I really liked Chasing Cars and as much as I hate to agree with Demi, her songs are sounding very similar week-to-week. But over all, I think Vino was my favorite tonight. I’d like to hear Beatrice and Vino in the finale.

If I had my druthers CeCe and Paige would be gone tomorrow and Demi could just pack up and go with them. But I think it’s probably going to be Arin and Beatrice.

• jaxguy says:

I wish someone could tell me what all “technical and no emotion means?” She should she have been pitchy like some of the others? Should her voice have cracked the entire song so we could blather about how hard it was for her emotionally to sing her song after her sob story? For me her performance was just flat out brilliant. It was a unique interpretation of an enduring classic that will never get old. If you couldn’t feel it, I don’t know what a song has to do for people to feel it. I am beginning to think that the best way to cover ones criticism of something great that is not their personal taste is to call it “emotionless and without feeling.” It sounds better than just admitting you don’t like great vocalist and prefer quirkier singing. It’s ok. But it’s that need that crowns winners of reality singing shows with the likes of Lee Dwyze, Phillip Phillips and Taylor Hicks.

27. Lou says:

Nothing like sympathy votes huh? Wow all that was pathetic… That won’t make there voices better

28. tvadict says:

I’m sick to death of 5th Harmony, I find them to use demi’s words: BORING! – I would never buy their CD, Cece and Paige have to go too. I like Arin, but as so many of you have said he hasn’t been given good material for a while, he should be singing Usher songs. I understand that Diamond White has a good voice but there is something about her that I just don’t like. I love Vino, his R&B/Soul stuff, Tate is good and consistent. Carly Rose is amazing but again I wouldn’t buy her cd, maybe she should be on Broadway, whereas Beatrice is a teen idol in the making, someone I wouldn’t mind my kids following. I like Emblem3 and see them doing well after the competition ends. Demi started off well, now she just bugs me!

29. Jay says:

Would love to see Beatrice Miller sing Criminal by Fiona Apple. She has a sort of Fiona Apple vibe to me – haven’t been digging her song choices since boot camp.

30. April says:

haha Slezak you can’t get through a recap without throwing some Demi shade in there. it’s kinda pathetic

• LoafOfBrad says:

Demi’s direct and avoidable failures have led to 5 kids losing their shot at $5 million. From choosing the wrong contestants, to ruining their looks with her displaced vanity to letting them get saddled with bad song after bad song, she is directly responsible for each week of bottom performing singers.

She is an abject failure at anything aside from talking about herself. A little shade each week is really being too kind on her.

• Stacey says:

I agree. Demi has destroyed her team with her choices. For all Britney’s issues. She at least seems to be doing well with her group of kids. Even though Arin’s choice of song and the lyrics don’t mesh to well with his story of thanking his brother. But still, all of them did pretty well. While CeeCee was genuine. She’s really trying to break through. But it’s not going to help with fans… Paige fell apart. Heck I think Britney actually did better with her song die Paige. Of course it was an emotional week. So emotions do become part of the performance. But Paige fell apart in the middle, and she didn’t quite recover. Heck Demi was critical of her own performer. I think Demi is having a hard to knowing her contestants… Demi might be a better judge than Britney. Although I do think Britney is holding her own. She’s just not trying to always be snarking if she doesn’t want to. But Britney is the better mentor… Paige, CeeCee and Arin are probably in the most danger.

• April says:

It’s sad that you feel so much hatred towards a 20 year old girl actually. You are an idiot if you think Demi’s respnosible for everything that went wrong with her contestants. She had the weakest category to begin with.

31. Nikos says:

why not just get someone else to post on xfactor if you hate watching it? Ill do it!beats the voice any day of the week. im from australia and i can tell you right now, our version of the voice was PATHETIC. the xfactor though, was so much better

so you should thank your lucky stars xfactor in the us isnt as bad as voice australia

• b-line says:

hey nikos, I’m following x factor and the voice australia as well and agree with you. Samantha Jade, the winner of x factor australia 2012, she is the next kylie, Slezak you should check her, she is THE pop contestant I have been waiting for from these competitions. She has a massive voice and tone, a superbe petite look and she is incredibly down to earth + she is very current! I think the world gonna hear her name very soon…

a little note, the boy band “the collective” which came 3rd, they are far better than one direction.

so yeah guys australia has some serious talents.

32. Chris says:

Team Demi: I said several weeks ago that I didn’t understand why CeCe and Paige were in this competition… I still stand by that. I just don’t get it. Paige’s back story of why she was thankful moved me to tears. I am so glad there are such people in this world.

Team Simon: I’m not a “group” fan since I don’t know the late 80′s – 90′s. It’s probably just my age but I’d much rather have Lyric145 on that show than the two that are left… ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Team Britney:

I absolutely adore Beatrice, but she is not being given the right song choices nor is she being portrayed as a 13 year old with all the heaviness of “if I fail my family will lose everything and we’ll be on the streets” scenario. I mean really? Why put that on your child? This platform is so huge for her that she should be doing cartwheels no worrying about what the adults need to be doing. I felt her back story was touching and obviously her mom’s are deeply caring and nurturing people and her sisters are adorable! I love the song by Snow Patrol but I know she has so much more in her to give, and I want her to be able to stick around so we can hear that. All my votes go to this little one.

Arin either needs to be given a song that he can sing/perform to as he said or go home. There is no “phone book” quality about him. I’d also like him to “look” happy about where he’s at. He just strikes me as angry or over worrisome most of the time. I dunno…. I could not stand or understand that song choice at all. Britney and her counter parts are killing him slowly.

Diamond is severely adorable but that back story…. come on. She is a little dynamo and I have a hunch she will land some serious star power as she comes in to age and experience. She did a really great job!

Carly Rose is a gifted child but I just don’t get the over all feel of her presence. There’s no light in her eyes to be a child…she looks heavy with thought or uncomfortable all the time. Maybe it’s the pressure but she definitely needs to perform more with her heart and not her head… But she is fantastic and did an amazing job.

Team LA:

Vino – I get that he loves the military and has deep respect for all that they do and have done, but I have personally never heard of being turned down for service for tattoos. I mean if we were god forbid encountered with a world war they’d snap him up quicker than you can say ta….. I didn’t like the song choice but I get why they did that. I still won’t vote for him.

I like Tate. I think that if you are a country fan it’s hard not to like Tate (he has a . I also think that if you go see country music live he’s right on the money. I don’t know what they want him to mix it up to… sorta lost on that. He is who he is and I don’t fault him for getting emotional or his back story. I think what he said clearly is he’s thankful for his dad showing him that dreams are important but family responsibility is more important. I did right by my family and now I get to follow my dream. Thank you for teaching me about the man I needed to be so I can be the man I want to be now. The end. No tragedy needed to be thankful.

• Lana says:

Chris this is a new military and tattoos are a no no. They will not take you with that many tattoos in fact you now can get in trouble for getting tattoos while in the military.

33. Mariah says:

My top five this week

1- Carly
    2- Diamond
    3- Fifth Harmony
    4- Vino
    5- Cece

34. Scamp says:

Vino’s voice is the best and he’s the performer I want to listen to. I want Vino to win. I think Beatrice is a sweetheart and I so want her to do well. CeCe is my favorite train wreck. She really can’t sing, but I want to watch! Paige is beyond pretty, possibly exquisite in person, and her daughter is her sweet little twin. I feel sorry for Arin and hate to see him so disappointed. I love his smile and dimple. Since Diamond with the beautiful eyes can draw me in with a Celine song, she needs to hit every note, especially the ending of that beautiful song. Clang went the trolley. Carly is an odd bird, a good singer, but not great and it would help so much if she were more attractive. I’m just not interested in Carly as a performer. The surfer dudes are energetic filler and that girl group is just plain awful. (The country sisters had it going on. Simon didn’t have to put another group together. I thing Simon’s ego got in the way on that one.) I like the bread at Paneras and Tate, like Wonder Bread, appeals to the masses. I would like Tate to file chapter 11 and go home and then have a sing-off between the two remaining groups and get rid of the girls. I know that’s not going to happen. Unfortunately the judges packed Arin’s bag for him and he won’t be singing Usher next week. If CeCe is in a sing-off with Paige, I hope to see CeCe go out as a brunette with tiger paws and bright eyes. That was when CeCe was at her best.

35. Lauren says:

No need to worry about last night’s performances or tonight’s results show. No one is going home on Thanksgiving. Double elimination will happen next week.

36. Slatina Whorinova says:

Arin Ray is the definition of mediocre. Paige started off well enough and then it was a disaster near the end. However, nothing could be worse than CeCe Fry. She sang the whole thing through her nose and off-key. This girl CANNOT sing. By the way, Beatrice’s voice: it’s shot.

• rwfblog says:

I don’t like listening to Arin. It’s hard to imagine how neither Britney nor the show’s voice coaches could bother to teach him how to breath while singing. It’s painful to listen to him inhale every 5 words. *If* he had learned that, then he might have achieved mediocrity. The point is likely moot, since I’m pretty sure he’ll be going home tonight (along with CeCe).

37. John says:

I really don’t get ragging on Paige while CeCe gets a pass. She SLAUGHTERED the first verse of “Wind”, but it felt like the judges didn’t want to be the ones to push her over the edge. But shame on the producers for forcing people away from their families at the holidays to wear their hearts on their sleeves for the sake of reality TV. Pretty disgusted right now.

• Stacey says:

Yet they likely paid for several family members to come and be with their competing family members. Yes it’s pandering. But the theme made sense for this week. These people are trying to get a 5 million dollar reality prize. I want to see real emotion. I think it was all genuine this week. Even CeeCee. I don’t think Cee Cee is getting a pass. Most have said her song wasn’t the most on pitch. It’s personal perference at this point. It’s obvious they judges like Paige (if only slightly more) than Cee Cee. So Cee Cee is looking like the underdog!

• bip says:

I love me a good underdog story but that only works if they can sang and ceecee can not sang. She has missed more notes than she has hit since the live shows started. Either people voting for her are all deaf or they’re just keeping her around because they love train wrecks.

38. Linds says:

I have to say that I am a bit dissapointed with the contestants in the x factor. Arin, paige, cece etc can sing at birthday parties but singjng as a career they are not as good or even compared to carly. I have to say inmo if carly does not make it to the top 2 and win x factor is lame. Tate is ok, but he is just another country singer.

39. Stacey says:

I loved Carly’s rendition of Over the Rainbow. It was really stripped down the front section. It made it all the more real. Generally after Kat McPhee did it so well on American Idol, I am against that song. But Carly might have done it better…

Vino might have done the song well. But the song choice was so pandering for votes…

I am usually not Diamond White’s greatest fan. But I think she finally had her moment. Wow! And the song was so appropriate to her person she was thanking…

40. RD says:

I feel sick- too much saccharin and all those flat and sharp notes made my head hurt.

41. niks says:

Please America. Save Beatrice.
    And can someone please knock a bit of a sense in Britney or whoever decides the songs. I still remember hoe Beatrice knocked the ball out of the park with a fun song like “Pumped up kicks”, even when the odds were stacked against her. Give her a fun song for a change. Though I wouldn’t mind her singing “Fix You”. I think that will suit her voice.

42. teatime says:

No one had dancers this weeks. That makes it tougher to predict who will be in the bottom. If they have the same placement as last week the bottom 3 will be Beatrice, Arin, and Paige. I think if the judges have a chance to make the decision they will send Beatrice home. I hope she stays out of the bottom 3.
    Cece sang toward the beginning of the show this week, so she will probably be in the bottom 4 and maybe the bottom 3. Fifth Harmony dropped in ranking last week and did not do anything new this week so I think they might, unfortunately, drop again.

• teatime says:

Sadly, the result were not a surprise. Arin and Beatrice stayed in the bottom 3. Cece dropped down into the bottom 3 with them. Arin went home right away. Beatrice and CeCe had to sing for the judges. The judges chose to send Beatrice home even though it was her first time in the bottom and CeCe’s second time in the bottom. The judges chose to send Beatrice home even though her best moments were before the live shows and she might have had a breakout live performance if she stayed, but CeCe has been fairly consistent and is probably just going to be in the bottom again next week.

43. onlyakb says:

My top list = Carly, Vino, Diamond, Beatrice,5th harmony, Tate!! The other contestant don’t do anything for me, Paige I like her but her voice does not deliver, Cece is just a mess, she sounds worse and worse every week, Emblem 3 I can’t stand those guys and really they are just there cos girls think they are hot, Arin is okeyish but I think we have too much of his style in the market already!
    now if Paige or Cece stay this week is because of their stories+Demi fans! Cece is overstaying for the past 2 weeks!!
    Arin, I don’t know what can save him
    Emblem 3, hope they are booted out but if they stay; seriously teenage girls you gotta develop a better taste asap!

44. TiaGata says:

45. Joey says:

You always put into words what i’m cynically thinking in my head. This show was all kinds of weird.

46. Mich says:

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t help but think Cece’s entire sob story was fake. I feel like the producers are grasping at straws trying to make America like her now that Tate has taken her under his wing. Save me a seat in hell, Michael.

• Stacey says:

Yeah she’s really going to faking having a disabled older sister die as a kid and have her parents participate in the fraud. She’s not that beloved by the show. The show loves Diamond, Carly and even Beatrice way more…than CeeCee.

47. kcostell says:

It’s interesting to compare “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and “My Heart Will Go On”. The latter is an overwrought, dramatic song, designed for a Diva to show off the power in her voice. The former is a gorgeous, delicate song. “My Heart Will Go On” gets its strength from sheer vocal power, while “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” gets it from a sheer simplicity that leaves nothing for singers to hide behind.

Unfortunately, Carly couldn’t tell the difference and threw in superfluous vocal runs and unnecessary glory notes. Was it impressive? Yes. But it lost the point somewhere along the way.

48. fullyCOOKed says:

1. Its unlikely that I’d ever buy a ticket to see any of these contestants in concert, but in thier defense, I dont know how any of them held it together after those sappy fishing for sympathy intro packages.TMI 2. Michael, you can die on the table from the surgery, not from the scoliosis. I hope you were kidding about that one. 3. I hope Khloe wasnt injured when they used the jaws of life to extract her from the industrial strength spanx she was wearing under that sausage dress. 4. I might vote for Beatrice in 5 yrs. Just dont like kid singers no matter how good they are.

• Nedsdag says:

If Khloe was wearing Spanx, she needed another size because you could see all her lumps and bumps in that dress. Very unflattering.

CeCe is in the wrong field of entertainment. She should be an actress because she sure as hell can’t sing.

49. Craig Hansen says:

Frankly, this show lost a bit of steam with me this season when #idiot judge Demi Lovato kicked Jillian Jensen off the show, in favor of the vastly overrated, theatrical, but undertalented CeCe Frey. Blech. #epicfail

50. Mari says:

Diamond was the best last night I was crying during her performance. Beatrice always makes me feel what she’s singing so she was my second fav. last night. 5H comes in third.