Ratings: Most of Tuesday's 72 Sitcoms Drop, Vegas and Private Practice Tick Up

Ratings: Apartment 23 Hits 0.9 DemoCBS’ Vegas and ABC’s Private Practice were the lone demo gainers this Tuesday, on a night that was no laughing matter for the 11teen sitcoms on the schedule.

With 10.2 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating, Vegas topped the 10 o’clock hour on both counts, rising two tenths in the demo week-to-week. PPP, at 4.1 mil/1.2, inched up 11 percent and a tenth from last week’s all-time low. (Rounding out that hour, Parenthood, with 4.5 mil/1.6, was down 16 percent.)

RELATED | What TVLine Is Thankful For: Parenthood Tears, Hot Affairs and More

Turning to Tuesday’s laugh tracks, we’ll start with Fox. Raising Hope opened the night with 3.7 mil/1.5, down a tenth, while lead-out Ben and Kate held steady with 2.5 mil/1.1. New Girl (4.1 mil/2.0) fell two tenths to a series low; The Mindy Project in turn dropped 15 and 19 percent to 2.7 mil/1.3.

RELATED | New Girl Exclusive: See Who’s Playing Nick’s Con Man Father!

Over on ABC, Happy Endings (4.9 mil/1.2) gained 12 percent in total audience but slipped a tenth to an all-time low demo. Apartment 23, too, added a few eyeballs (drawing 3.2 mil) yet dropped below a 1.0 demo rating, to a worst-ever 0.9.

NBC’s Go On was rock-steady with 6.2 mil/2.2, but The New Normal (4.35 mil/1.6) was down 7 and 11 percent (hitting a demo low).

A few other notes:

* Dancing With the Stars, FWIW, set ABC’s sitcom table with an audience of 12.9 mil and a 1.9 rating, up 6 percent in audience week-to-week.

RELATED | DWTS Week 9 Results: Which Couples Made it to the All-Stars Finale?

* NCIS (16.5 mil/3.0) slipped a tenth, while NCIS: LA (15.1 mil/2.8) was flat.

* The Voice (9.3 mil/3.3) led the night in the demo while slipping 15 percent from last Tuesday.

RELATED | The Voice Top 10 Results Recap: Did the Right Singers Get the Boot?

* The CW’s Hart of Dixie (1.2 mil.0.5) fell 25 and 17 percent, but plucky Emily Owens (1.3 mil/0.4) held steady in the demo.

1. Wouter says:

Ugh… I really want Mindy´s show to do well…

2. gary says:

Seriously where the hell did Emily Owens viewers come from? It is now beating HOD? Crazy. And Fox has killed New Girl. It really needs to do something to fix the insane ratings drop it has had

3. Reba says:

There is just too much to watch on Tuesday nights. Other nights don’t have as much, so I end up spreading them throughout the week. Too bad they don’t take online viewing into account when they look at the ratings and cancel beloved shows.

4. Jim says:

So sad about Don’t Trust the B. it’s a hilarious show but that was probably the final straw for ABC.

5. NunyaBiz says:

Can’t help but to wonder if New Girl’s falling numbers have anything to do with the potent, relentless whining which all of the show’s characters exude every stinkin episode?

Maybe?

6. Blake says:

Rock steady Go On. I’m glad to hear it. Love it!

7. Jake says:

Why is Happy Endings demo always so low. It seems like its a show that would be watched by the demo mostly

8. ABC kind of dropped the ball on Apt 23. I love the show so much, but it feels like such a chore to keep track when its on and when its not, with the frequent week skips. Have they ever even ran 2 episodes back to back since it premiered this season?

9. Michelle says:

There is so much about this season of HoD that annoys me, I’m not surprised about the drop. Emily Owens higher? Ooookay. And yay for Vegas! Best episode yet. :)

10. Brendan says:

Could part of the problem for Apt 23 be that in Canada it airs a day or two earlier? People can download and watch it via torrent I imagine. Same can be said for Happy Endings which also airs earlier in Canada…I doubt it, but could be a factor.

• Shaun says:

Canada is not counted,only Neilson box holders

• paula says:

I think what Brendan means is since these shows are shown before in Canada, maybe their demo people are watch in it online via torrent instead of watch it on TV like it should be. And that directly hurts the ratings

11. eridapo says:

Do not blame the holidays for the poor ratings… The Nielsen HUT (Households Using Television) and PUT (People Using Television) are about the same as last week…

12. TVLineFan says:

HECK YES! Steady ratings for Emily Owens, M.D.!! Hopefully the CW sees this.

13. Joe says:

All the comedies are killing each other move some around, Happy Endings, And the B in apt 23 are great , I will enjoy them while I can, move them please Abc

14. yankeesrj12 says:

Apartment 23 is one of the worst sitcoms in the past five years. I watched last night and wanted to cry from the 30 minutes I wasted.

15. FragglesRock says:

Wow… These are just dreadful numbers. And I agree, there are too many comedies on Tuesdays nights. I record Go On, Apt 23, New Girl & Mindy, not to mention Private Practice and I haven’t seen any of them because I’m too busy catching up on shows from last week! November Sweeps is taking its toll, guess I’ll catch up in December when most shows are on break.

16. Boiler says:

I agree, lots if choices on Tuesday. I lile all the Fox comedies, Hart of Dixie and Happy Endings. Just another example of how the networks need to figure a way of making alternate sources of viewing to work.

17. Fabian says:

I really hope they don’t cancel Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23! It’s so funny, they should just put it behind Modern Family!

18. Britta Unfiltered says:

I was watching Parenthood, which was pretty good, it felt very realistic. I am getting a little annoyed with Max though. I understand he has a bit of a disability, but it bothers me he never gets punished for bad behavior. They kind of let him get away with saying and doing anything and always let him have his own way, and I think that’s a terrible lesson to teach kids, even those with disabilities. It’s probably what a lot of parents do though. I also watched New Girl, which was funny. Jamie Lee Curtis is great. Don’t Trust the B was great. Happy Endings was great. And I also watched Sons of Anarchy, which had me singing the Toonces theme song the whole night after that station wagon flew off the cliff, rolled a few times, and everyone survived without a scratch. Toonces, the driving cat…the cat who could drive a car! I find myself becoming more and more sympathetic to Gemma with every episode. I think she’s gotta be the best character on the show.

19. Nero theTVFiddler says:

What’s interesting with these 9pm numbers is that each of the comedy blocks on ABC/FOX/NBC are dropping viewers as they hit the 9:30 sitcoms. The viewers don’t appear to be going from say, ‘Go On’/NBC over to ‘Apt 23’/ABC, or from ‘HEndings’/ABC over to ‘Mindy’/FOX. No pattern. All three nets are losing viewers from 9pm across to the 9:30 shows. Where are these 9pm viewers going? To Emily Owens??? To bed?

The first network to figure this out, may end up winning this 9:30 battle. Maybe it might make sense [for example] for FOX to move Mindy elsewhere on the schedule and try something else at 9:30 to see if that show can retain more of the New Girl audience. Or ABC move Apt23 back over to Tuesday for a while, and try something else at 9:30. But something has to be done – there’s no reason to see all three shows at 9:30 losing viewers – basically turning off their TVs. ABC or FOX need to do something here…soon.

20. A friend told me I needed to study this short article, so right here I am. I found this to become fascinating and well-written. It is very good.

21. Hi there! I understand this is sort of off-topic but I needed to ask. Does managing a well-established blog like yours need a large amount of work? I am completely new to writing a weblog but I do write in my journal each day. I’d like to start a blog so I will probably be able to share my own experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you’ve any kind of suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring weblog owners. Thankyou!