Chevy Chase Leaves NBC's Community

Community Season 4 Spoilers Community and Chevy Chase are officially parting ways.

TVLine has confirmed that Chase and producers have come to a mutual agreement that finds the comedy vet departing the cult NBC series effective immediately. The sudden ouster means that he will not appear in one or two of Community‘s final Season 4 episodes, which have yet to be shot.

Our sister site Deadline first reported the news.

Because Community is shooting the end of its upcoming season out of sequence and production on the finale has already wrapped, Chase’s unlovable curmudgeon Pierce will likely appear in the season ender but not in the handful of installments leading up to it.

VIDEO | Community Stars Explain the Crazy Shift Going on With the Season Premiere Date

Chase’s exit is unsurprising given his tumultuous relationship with the still-benched sitcom. In early October, the actor found himself at the center of an on-set controversy when he dropped the N-word in the presence of his African-American co-stars Yvette Nicole Brown and Donald Glover.

He was also embroiled in a much-publicized battle with Community creator Dan Harmon at the end of last season, which, along with other alleged issues, ultimately led to the showrunner losing his job.

Community, meanwhile, is slated to launch its long-delayed fourth season on Thursday, Feb. 7 at 8/7c.

Will you miss Pierce Hawthorne — or Chevy Chase, for that matter? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Controversy, News

1. julia says:

does that mean that we can have Dan Harmon back?

• ScrubsGuy says:

Does this really make a difference? Haven’t they shot most of the 13 episodes already for season 4, and with the way things are blowing at NBC, a 5th season seems like a longshot.

• EvilGoatee says:

Yeah but to fire Chevy for two episodes and break his contract seems an awful lot of work and redundant for NBC unless there was some notion of another short season…although NBC’s as unpredictable as it’s ever been so who knows?

• ben says:

It’s a ‘mutual agreement’ – so lets not say NBC ‘broke his contract’. If everyone wants out, the only complicated thing is to figure out how to make sure it doesn’t affect the show too much, regardless of whether there is more seasons or not.

• KevyB says:

Couldn’t they have just written him out? Like, from the whole season? Can they refilm everything he did this season with a different actor? Can they do that with all the previous shows? Can everybody else in Hollywood FINALLY stop hiring him?

• Sunta says:

NO!!! Six seasons and a movie goda–it!

• Temperence says:

Sing it.

• Can’t see Chase getting hired again for anything else on TV or major film-wise. He’s pretty much killed his career again now. You’d think an actor who has experienced the Hollywood wasteland would be a little more respectful to the people who actually gave him a chance.

2. Billy Bob says:

Thank God!!

3. Wouter says:

Community is one of my favorite shows and i’m quite happy about it. Chevy was always the weakest link IMO.

• Lena120 says:

Mine too. Bye Chevy! He’s been a dark and disrespectful cloud over the cast.

• Sheesh. says:

Absolutely correct.

• M3rc Nate says:

Completely agree. Not that Harmon wasnt wrong for the stuff he did. But iv never been a fan of Chevy, never saw him when he was “big” (im 24), he seems like a old egotastical assh*ole whos out of his prime and cant accept it. Not to say just cause hes old he couldnt be awesome on a show/movie…but obviously hes not. He cant even separate the racism of his character from himself. You wont be missed, you were barely funny, weakest link, and IMO if the show gets a season 5, it will be stronger for not having you.

• if you’d actually read any unbiased articles about it, you’d know Chevy is far from a racist. A complete asshole, sure. but not a racist asshole. He dropped the N-word in protest of how much of a bigot they’d made Pierce, saying something like “before you know it, i’d be calling Donald or Yvette a [word]“.
        Don’t like the man, don’t find him overly funny, but i think that one incident has been easily taken out of context too often.

• M3rc Nate says:

No i know hes not racist, what i mean is part of his big blow out with saying Ni*ger is he was upset and didnt understand why his character was so racist and he didn’t like it. My point is he cant even get that, thats the character he plays since day one. The old white guy whos kinda racist. And like i said hes all ego, people have said on here and i agree, he used to get the lead roll like Joel has, him being the lowest on the pole of roles on Community, let alone all his character being good for is being the bad guy and semi racist jokes.

He couldn’t understand that’s his character, and he couldn’t not take it personally that his character was so 2 dimensional. Your a actor, you play the character, you dont get to step outside the character, judge him and be like “wtf?!”. Esp when its a insane comedy that is out there most of the time and not very realistic. And lets be honest, if theres anyone you’d expect to make racist comments, it would be a old white guy in his late 60’s like Pierce/Chevy…so its not even that unrealistic for his character.

4. That good news… How many episodes are already produced – just to know how much more we will watch his face?

5. Jillian says:

THANK GOD.

6. Jon says:

YESS!!! YES!!! I am SO HAPPY with this news. Now I’m actually excited for the new season. YAY COMMUNITY!

7. CJ says:

I am very relieved to hear this. It seems that his presence has become far more trouble than it’s worth, and I don’t think that has been fair for the rest of the hard-working cast and crew. Good riddance.

8. Matt says:

Can’t say I didn’t see this coming…

• Kathy says:

I feel the same way because the way Chevy and Dan Harmon clashed over creative ideas on his character. Now, Dan is gone and Chevy is clashing with the new showrunners over his character, again. Augh! I wish it was Chevy instead of Dan NBC chose to get rid of last season.

9. EvilGoatee says:

So does that mean there’s a high chance for Season 5? I mean Season 4 must nearly have finished filming and so firing Chevy would be a redundant move unless Season 5 was in the works…probably another 13 episodes mind you if any.

10. rochelle says:

I’m not the least bit surprised. While I’m sure Chase is difficult to work with, I also get the feeling he’s been villainized a bit.

Pierce has gone so off the rails that I don’t think I’ll miss him at all.

11. Karen says:

Not surprised but they’ve filmed the finale episode already but haven’t filmed the 2 in between so how will they get around that? It’s confusing. I always thought they’d kill him off if he wanted to leave but there’s no chance of that now. OMG.

• Mike says:

He will just be absent for two episodes,they will say like he went traveling or somethig

• Marek says:

Jeez, it’s not like they decided yesterday that he’s leaving right? They probably knew it for some time, and since he wanted to be done as soon as possible, they shot his last episode earlier.

12. Mafalda Neto says:

predictable but still…damn!

13. Kristina says:

I think a lot of people probably saw this coming. I like Chevy Chase but Pierce isn’t really needed on the show anymore so it’s probably for the best.

14. Taryn says:

yeah he’s ungrateful and they don’t need him bring Dan Harmon back.

15. TV Gord says:

He was truly funny on Community, but it’s too bad that he is too much of a prima donna to suck it up for a few more episodes. I wonder if he’ll ever get his head out of his hindquarters in time to realize Community was the best thing to ever happen to his (deservedly) sagging career.

16. Britta Unfiltered says:

[Mouth drops open]. [Annie-like gasp]. Actually, I am a little surprised. With only 1 or 2 episodes left, he couldn’t stick it out til the end? Even if on the long-shot they got a season 5, he could have just left between seasons. He really couldn’t stick out the last two episodes of season 4??? What the freak happened over there that was so bad he had to be let go so close to the end? I knew the new showrunners were lying when they said they were having no problems with him and he was fine to work with.

17. Babybop says:

… It’s always a little weird when series regulars leave the shows.

18. MariaSanchez says:

BUMP LEONARD TO A SERIES REGULAR!!!

19. Alan says:

good ridance, he was always expendable and after all the drama he created ive got no problem with him leaving

20. MC says:

Hasn’t it been well documented that Chase had nothing to do with Harmon leaving? Even if Community gets a fifth season, which is a long shot unto itself, it’s even less likely that Harmon would be asked back.

• gary says:

Its not really a long shot. It all about that Syndication money which Community will get it if heads into the 100 episodes Range. If NBC doesnt let it hit Syndication numbers then letting it stay on all these years with bad ratings would have been for nothing

• nbc would not get any syndication money sony owns the show

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

You don’t need 100 episodes for syndication. 88 has been the number for quite some time now.

• MC says:

Yup, 88 is the magic number nowadays and S4 will put it at 84. For for S5 to happen, Sony would have to drastically cut the licensing fees to tempt NBC to put up with another season of horrible ratings. Chase leaving may cut down production costs, so Sony might be willing to give the show away for practically nothing, but it’s doubtful that NBC would be bite. Then again, anythings possible but I wouldn’t bet on it.

• janice says:

Geez, the season has not started yet and you’re already talking about horrible ratings… give it a chance fist! if it holds its own, I believe NBC will be willing to renew it

21. SpyTV says:

I’ll miss him. He can be funny, and it looked to me like the writers didn’t give him a lot to work with. While I’m sure he can be difficult, it also looks like he was demonized a bit. Even in this article it says he “dropped the N-word”, but it is clear from the link and many other sources that he did not use it against his co-stars in any way (yes, it’s a bad word, but context is important). The writers have been making Pierce into more of a jerk, and I think he was very frustrated with the direction of the character.

• Cameron says:

Regardless, I generally found him unfunny. Can’t really say how much of that was him and how much was the writing. Either way, he is not coming off well and I don’t think he’s going to get another chance on a different tv show. As to him using the n-word you’re right, by all accounts he didn’t use it to refer to anyone, which is good, but doesn’t that make you curious in what context he did use it? I dunno, I find the whole situation strange, but if the miraculous 5th season does occur, the show is better off without him.

22. Vanessa says:

After all those news about him, I thought he had already left… He should have left when he had that fight with Harmon, or when he used the n word (honestly, I think this was propably not the first or the last time he did something offensive like that, probably just the worst)…
    I don’t think Harmon will want to come back, but it seems that everyone that works there will be happier from now on and hoppefully the chances renewal will increase…

23. Gwen says:

Woooo! See ya Chevy, long live Leonard!

Six seasons and movie.

24. I liked Pierce because he was unlikeable. That was kinda the point of his character. They spent much of last season softening him up, or at least making him less of a bastard towards his friends. It’s going to feel odd with him missing in a few episodes and I’m really curious why this was really necessary. I get that most people would rather hang out with Pierce than Chevy, but is he really such a huge baby that he can’t enjoy playing a bad guy role? To Pierce. May he rest in Pierce.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Yes, I agree. I liked the character and found it really funny when he was behaving badly. The Dungeons and Dragons episode still makes me die with laughter. I think he should have been more professional and just performed what the writers wrote and done it to the best of his ability. He could have grown as a comic actor if he had done that. Look at someone like Bryan Cranston. His Breaking Bad character is a pretty horrible person, but he owns the role and loves playing it and has become an acclaimed actor because of it. Chevy should have taken that attitude towards playing the character. He can’t just play Fletch and Clark Griswald his whole life.

• Precisely. It’s shocking that an actor has this kind of attitude when you hear so much about actors who want to be the villain or the anti-hero because it tends to be the more interesting role. It reminds me of being a kid, pretending to be GI Joes and Cobras and there was always a kid who didn’t want to be Cobra.

25. amy says:

I’m still waiting for October 19th.

26. Anon says:

If they renew for a fifth, they might as well renew for a sixth then… And maybe a tv movie tw wrap up? #sixseasonsandamovie

27. RSDhillon says:

Damn. I really liked Pierce. I understand the reasons for his leaving, but damn!

• Sg. Grant says:

They don’t have to get rid of PIerce. Chevy is leaving, not PIerce. They should just replace Chevy with some other comedian of his generation. Then, have none of the rest of the characters even seem to notice… Except Abed, since he recognizes he is in a tv show. They could do a whole episode about new Pierce where Abed tries to convince them it is someone different.

28. luke says:

LONG LIVE Chevy Chase!!!

29. The have two more episodes to film but the have already shot the season and maybe series finale before Chase left. Yes they shot the episodes out of order

• TV Gord says:

I haven’t heard this anywhere else, but I hope this is true. It would just seem as though he missed a couple of episodes and stayed until the end…not that he is the total douchebag that he so clearly is. ;-)

• Britta Unfiltered says:

It’s true. The EW article on Chevy Chase leaving the show mentions the season finale is already shot, which he is in, and that he will only be missing from the two episodes leading up to the finale.

30. irastev says:

Really annoyed right now — they got rid of Harmon to keep the guy who was never really keen on the show anyway? Ugh.

31. D says:

I’m done with this show. It stopped being good when they started overdoing Troy and Abed. Britta was the best thing about season 3. And who needs it when we’ve got Arrested Development coming back in 2013!

32. champmav says:

Every show needs a villain, the character served a role. We don’t know what really went on by reading “news” reports and gossip, so speculating is masturbatory. Complexities of the TV business seem unfathomable, seems a miracle anything gets made sometimes. Thankfully a lot of talented people persevere through the distractions.

33. bobbie says:

Half the reason I watched Community was Chevy Chase. The other half is Abed. I will miss both when the season is over.
    They did give Chevy Chase a rather demeaning role in the show, but he carried it off well. I was not comfortable with the way that he was treated in the way his character was written. But, he did well in spite of that.
    Fare thee well, Chevy Chase!

34. Jon says:

Scrap the episodes building to the finale in their current form, combine them into one or something, and use the finale as the second to last episode. Use the production of the remaining episode as a new finale and kill him off screen.

35. Angela says:

As noted, not surprising, really, and if he’s not happy there then he might as well leave. But still, it sucks when anyone from a show you like leaves, especially under crappy circumstances such as this. I don’t know what this means for the show’s future, but I do know it’d be really nice to not have to hear any more bad news regarding the show. I hope they can move on from this somehow…guess we’ll see what happens.

36. Eric says:

Here’s the deal: It isn’t that he “couldn’t stick it out.” They’d already shot all the episodes they were using him in. He wasn’t needed for the season anymore. So they announced what was probably in the works for a long time. Nothing more mysterious than that. I mean, he wasn’t in every season one or season two or season three episode, either.

37. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

I got a kick out of TVBytheNumbers headline for this. “Actor Nobody Cares About Leaves Show Nobody Watches” lol

• Midori004 says:

And look a jackass comments on something he doesn’t care about and that no one else cares what he says.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

I watch this show idiot. If you don’t get what their article title was referencing you should probably shut up. You are making yourself look very stupid.

• StupidPeopleShutUp says:

I think that’s hilaaaarious. Nobody watches and CC is relevant only in his teeny tiny mind.

38. MissHeels says:

Two words: good riddance.

39. Spider42 says:

Won’t lie and say I won’t miss the character of Pierce, but he was the least important of the shows characters and could have been replaced by one of the many other members of the rich supporting cast like Leonard (for example).
    This is a double blow for fans of the show because NBC got rid of Dan Harmon who was the creative driving force of this show, all for this sad excuse for a human being.
    Damn you Chevy. And damn you NBC.
    If they bring back Harmon, I’ll be overjoyed, without that, the future of this show is seriously in question!

40. Some Worries says:

“i’m gettin’ rid of the Chevy…..
    I’m gettin’ rid of the B
    He’s a no good B………”

I’ll miss the character. Wasn’t Chevy not that well liked years ago on his first and only season on SNL? This was the first time in years that people thought Chevy was funny again. I wish he appreciated that more.

My fear is this is a dead show walking and we won’t get a 5th season. NBC really botched this one. But hey, we can always watch more Whitney and Up All Night, right?? Groan!

41. slundy99 says:

Pierce will be missed, Chevy will not.

42. cat says:

I don’t know why anyone would hope for future episodes of this show when it’s so obvious that the show is a behind-the-scenes wreck. Just finish the season well and end it and enjoy the DVDs. I like the show but I can’t imagine being an invested fan of it, because it is just too much work to put up with all the behind the scenes b.s. It’s like having a high-maintenance girlfriend. Yeah, she was fun for a few months, but who’d want to be stuck catering to her problems forever? The sex ain’t THAT great…

43. Janet Snakehole says:

Good riddance. His character was useless. Plus he himself is a racist, ungrateful douche.

• cat says:

Actually, he was complaining about his character being forced to be a racist douche. I know that spoils the narrative of him being douchey in real life, but he was actually complaining to the writers about THEIR racism.

44. sonya says:

It’s a shame it had to end this way, but I also understand hating your work environment. I suppose it doesn’t matter anyway it’s clear that NBC has been trying to get rid of the show for at last 2 seasons…. Yet they bring back Whitney,Smash and parenthood. Geez who desided on that crap ?

45. Mandy says:

Weird that this article mentions Chase using the “N” word, but nothing about Harmon getting the crew to chant “F— you, Chevy” infront of his kids. I don’t particularly like either of these guys, but let’s report ALL sides of the story.

46. Jim says:

This news is streets ahead!

47. GingerSnap says:

Not surprised, but don’t think it matters in the long run. Six seasons and a movie is unlikely. I think season 4 is the end of the show any way. After all, NBC couldn’t even commit to a full order of episodes for this season

48. missgonzo says:

Reblogged this on Something to Watch… and commented:
    So after everything going on with this show now we get this news?! Why can’t they all just get along and finish the show without making people riot?

49. Dynan says:

People saying Chevy (&Pierce) was the weakest link are just spiteful because of comments & situations behind the screens. Chevy was in no way the weakest link, call him an asshole all you want but he did great on the show. As Pierce he had some of the most sincere moments of the show and he did them extremely well.
    Pierce could’ve been one of the most important characters on the show. But the WRITERS where more and more destroying the character, which was also a thing that pissed Chevy off.
    But anyway, i’m gonna miss Pierce if there’s gonna be a season 5, he made me laugh even more than Troy & Abed did. But (if there’s gonna be a season 5) it might be best that Chevy left.

50. Good riddance. He was the weakest link by far. The guy simply was not funny. And if the DVD commentaries are any indication, he had so little respect for the writers, creators, and other cast members of Community that he never showed up even knowing his lines. The guy was a big time suck in more ways than one.