The Walking Dead Casts Wire Alum as [Spoiler]!

Get More: Casting News

Walking Dead Chad Coleman TyreeseRick’s post-apocalyptic army is growing, and not a moment too soon.

The Walking Dead has recruited Wire grad Chad Coleman to play the key role of Tyreese, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Exclusive: Sarah Wayne Callies Shares Her Biggest Walking Dead Regret

In the Walking Dead comics, Tyreese was a prominent member of the survivors and served as Rick’s second in command following Shane’s death. The character’s arrival (rumored to be in this season’s eighth episode) comes as Rick prepares to do battle with David Morrissey’s Governor.

Coleman’s post Wire credits include stints on The Good Wife, Burn Notice and I Hate My Teenage Daughter.

News of Coleman’s casting was first reported by TVOvermind.

Comments (47)

• Um, Rick has a second-in-command. His name is Daryl Dixon and he is awesome. :)

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – November 20, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awesome, yes, but Daryl isn’t in the comic. I’m curious to see how they bring in the new character.

Comment by Aleksa – November 20, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re talking about the COMIC.

Comment by Shelly – November 20, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know. I can read. I’m just saying the position ON THE SHOW has been filled, so this guy will have to do something else.

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – November 20, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I get what you’re saying. That has me a little worried too. On the show Daryl is rick’s right-hand man, and in the comic Tyreese is. Is there room for both. Does that mean something drastic is going to happen to Daryl?

Comment by Lena120 – November 20, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Omg!! Please don’t kill Daryl!! I’d truly be devastaded :( he’s on the show Rick’s secnd hand no doubt so let’s say that Tyreese will take T-Dog’s place? May be better written of course… But don’t do anything to my Daryl!

Comment by Johanna – November 27, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Enough said!!!

Comment by Kat – November 20, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • daryl and chuck lover? I think we should be best friends.

Comment by deanza – November 21, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I dont really get how ppl view Daryll as second in command. Yes, he is badass, and a very important part of the team, but that doesnt make you rRicks right hand man. And it was only when Rick had the breakdown did he truly step up. But the Thing about Tyreese, is that he wasnt just a second in command, he was Ricks BEST FRIEND. He completely replaced Shane. That is what most ppl mean when they say right hand man. Rick confided in Tyreese so much, sought his advice so much, shared so much.
      Daryll and Rick simply dont have that “best friends” relationship. I dont see any reason why he and Daryll cant coexist since they fill 2 different roles.

Comment by Jay Cara (@RoninBlaze) – November 21, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSS! One of my favorite characters from the comics!! Can’t wait to see him on the show!!

Comment by bigby_wolf – November 20, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daryl Dixon was not a character in the comic books.

Comment by anon – November 20, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, what the heck, Daryl Dixon is Rick’s right hand man for sure. I don’t mind them bringing in newbies, it’s necessary, but don’t knock Daryl, na ahhh, no way!! The show has been mixing up the characters in the comics so I’m sure Daryl’s place is solid.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 20, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Tyreese the reason Carol goes cray in the comics? Hope that storyline doesn’t happen.

Comment by Kristen – November 20, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, Michonne was partially at fault too. She was the one who seduced Tyreese and stole him from Carol in the first place….

Comment by Matt – November 20, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes he is.. …he was a good character in the books

Comment by William – November 21, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure after Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus has the most secure position on the show. He’s incontestably an overwhelming fan and staff favorite. I’m sure Tyreese and Daryl can share duties

Comment by Mina – November 20, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely. I don’t see either of them going anywhere. I actually think the whole group is pretty safe at this point. Rick’s group that is, IDC about Andrea and the creepy Gov.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 20, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Daryl’s so popular, there were rumors the comic creator adding him to the comic.

Comment by aleksa – November 20, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m SO tired of this elitist “It’s happened this way in the comic” or “It never liked this in the comic” BS. Get over it. Just because something happened in the comic doesn’t mean that it will happen in the television show AND WE DON’T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT!!!

Comment by beej – November 20, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I think that some people absolutely go overboard with “but…but…in the comic,” I find this comment overboard, too. Please speak for yourself. When a musician covers another musician’s song, or updates an original song, I like to know what the original sounded like, and sometimes it gives me insight into additional elements to be aware of the origin and sound. If you don’t care to know, that’s absolutely fine and I’m sure you, your beloved caps lock key, and your multiple exclamation point babies can all live together in beautiful harmony… hiding out from the news that the Titanic was a real ship that didn’t have Leonardo DiCaprio as a passenger.

Aww, now my comment is overboard, too.

I never thought of reigning badass/secret softie Daryl MFin’ Dixon as Rick’s 2nd in command, just because I don’t feel Daryl considers himself that, either. He is an extremely helpful, resourceful, skilled, and integral core group member/T.V. show character, so I don’t think it’s a matter of losing a place at all. That being said, I am excited for the arrival of Tyreese (especially with such a great casting choice for the character’s look and Chad Coleman’s acting chops) and hope his daughter and her boyfriend are in tow.

Comment by Winnie – November 20, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I completely agree with u. . You said it all.

Comment by Shelly – November 20, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the show and Rick consider Daryl his second in command. Remember when they were discussing whether or not to let those two surviving convicts join them or send them back to their cell block? Rick made the decision and then turned to Daryl, who nodded his approval. That spoke volumes about their relationship.

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – November 20, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good insight. Totally agree. In interviews with Kirkman he has stated that there are some things from the comics he makes sure to keep while the tv program gives him the chance to add elements he didn’t think about while he was/is writing the graphic novel. Both mediums have their fan base. I like them both.

Comment by majamababe – November 20, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m completely with you, I’m so sick of hearing about things that happened in the comic. If I wanted to know, I’d read the darn things! I’ve had a couple of things ruined beforehand on the show because of the people who insist on talking about the comic.

Comment by Rain – November 20, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely agree about the spoilers. There are a few events that we already know are coming because of people who’ve read the comic have to comment about them. Just because they happen to different characters in the show versus the comics doesn’t mean I want to hear about them in advance. In fact there are spoilers right here on this thread.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 20, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • As a reader of the comics I do my best to refrain from mentioning anything specific as I too hate spoilers. But on the other hand, the show and comic are vastly different and we really can’t know what will be incorporated from the comics. So much is different it’s hard to know what some may consider a spoiler. Most of the comments I’ve seen about the comics are very general and show that people are excited about the show and what is to come. Unfortunately for non comic readers, there was a already a huge following for The Walking Dead before the show came along and those people are passionate and can’t help but discuss certain aspects of the comic and whether it will be in the show. The excitement of seeing Michonne and the prison at the end of last season was pretty awesome for us because we knew that some epic things are coming. As someone who isn’t able to watch this show live, I’ve learned to stay away form any place that may discuss the show in any way so as not to be spoiled. Perhaps those of you who feel so spoiled by the comments should do the same. Sucks, but at least you’ll see everything with fresh, unspoiled eyes.

Comment by tripoli – November 20, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope this doesn’t mean less time for Daryl. He/Norman Reedus is amazing and I love where the writers are taking his and Carol’s relationship, so the intro of Tyreese makes me uneasy.

Comment by Ash – November 20, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Dary Dixon goes, I go!!! Daryl reminds me of my friends back home in North Carolina..I am a black woman and some of my best friends are “rednecks”. It’s a way of life for them..does not mean hate. Please don’t kill Daryl…he is the best!!!

Comment by Cheryl Thompson – November 20, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m from North Carolina and I’d have to agree with your comment about Daryl being like some of these NC rednecks. It’s why I love him!

Comment by Caro – November 20, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • iam CRAZY about the walking dead, and its killing me that you guys are casting so close to me. I want to see Rick and most of the cast, not the Gov. He is too creepy for me. But I soooo want to meet Michong, she is such a bad a**….. I live in Newnan where you guys are filming for now, well you guys are in a differfent place, but you are still in my county. I sooooo want to meet you guys. I’m soooo crazy about the show and you guys. Keep up the great job you are doing. But seriously, I gotta meet y’all. Love love love love you!

Comment by kat England – November 20, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I kind of went off topic a bit, but I couldn’t help myself. I’m just so crazy about the show and I had to let you and the cast know.

Comment by kat England – November 20, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Daryl and Carol have each other to keep sane. With the baby they need a little more solid protection. Daryls place is safe. He is to essential to the group and important to Carl and the baby, as well as the group.

Comment by Christine H – November 20, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss The Wire. I can’t wait to see Coleman on The Walking Dead though.

Also: Am I the only one who thinks it’s funny that the name of the production designer on Walking Dead is Grace Walker?

Comment by Mik – November 20, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he’s an actor, he’s supposed to alter how he acts according to how the role is to be played so it doesnt matter how he played a character in an old show, he probably wont be anyway similar. come his debut you sill most likely be talking about how good he was

Comment by Alan – November 20, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Uuuuh…so let me get this straight…actors doesn’t actually play the same character through their whole career? Wow, how did I not figure that out myself? Thank you for sharing your insight!

Alan, I think you misunderstood what I was saying… I have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment by Mik – November 20, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darl and carol are destined (on the show not the comic) so the new guy will probably be more likely to end up with michonne. Its gonna be interesting to see how they tie it all together.

Comment by sean – November 20, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking Tyrese is probs there to replace TDoggs old position

Comment by fiona – November 20, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve read all the comics to date (it’s still being written, for those of you who don’t read them). The show takes a lot of elements from the comic, but also leaves some things out or changes some things (For instance Sophia is still alive in the comics, or Shane was killed off MUCH earlier, etc). The producers said that they do this to keep ALL viewers guessing (especially the ones who read the comics like myself).

So while I would like to tell you that a character is a lock to be safe, I can’t put it past the show runners to change anything. But I have to say that Rick should be the only one safe in the show, mainly because he’s the lead character, both in the comics and the show.

I am really looking forward to seeing how the events play out the rest of this season. I believe the 8th episode which is the mid-season finale is entitled “Made to Suffer” which is a massively important volume in the comics in terms of the events that transpire.

Love the show and the comics, makes for interesting conversations.

Comment by Breck – November 20, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great comment. I think those who haven’t read the comics are missing out in some regards. Even those of us who have read the comments don’t know exactly what is going to happen and when. I’m constantly surprised by how they manage to incorporate stuff that was done in the comics while also keeping it fresh with new ideas. I heard Kirkman say once that in some ways, Carl is the only one who is really safe because the show is sort of his story. The child having to come of age during the zombie apocalypse.

Comment by tripoli – November 20, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually I’d say Carl is the only safe character, since Kirkman has been quoted saying TWD is his story.

Comment by @jekelish – November 22, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And I totally missed you saying that, and actually meant to reply to the other poster. So now I look ridiculous.

Um, happy turkey day?

Comment by @jekelish – November 22, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was wondering when we were going to hear about tyreese being cast, i knew it had to be soon or else a lot of people who read the comics would have been disappointed. based on what ive heard about tyreese’s role in the comics things are about to get interesting

Comment by Alan – November 20, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So was it Tyreese who was watching Carol from the bushes (when she was cutting that walker open)?

Comment by Lee – November 20, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Jay Cara (@RoninBlaze) – November 21, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We really value our work and our strong cash position to proactively resolve these
    issues. Brian Ostroff: I am not big on fixating on a target per se but I do think there is just
    a massive simplification of process. Over the past four years, the market growth rates, with a strong
    black woman, justify the fact that x has to exist and be active in order to be
    approved by the FDA.

Comment by Lightening Dark Skin – May 2, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Generally I do not read post on blogs, however I would like to
    say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it!
    Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you,
    very nice article.