The Doctor Is (Back) In: Hugh Laurie in Talks to Join NBC's Pirate Drama Crossbones

Get More: Casting News

Yo ho… House?

Hugh Laurie is in negotiations to star in NBC’s forthcoming pirate drama Crossbones, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Pilot Scoop: Royal Pains‘ Jill Flint Signs on to NBC Medical Drama After Hours

The 10-episode action-adventure series, written and co-executive produced by Luther‘s Neil Cross, takes place in 1715. Laurie would play Edward Teach, AKA the pirate Blackbeard, who rules over the various thieves and ne’er-do-wells that populate the Bahamian island of New Providence.

RELATED | Exclusive: Another Pushing Daisies Alum Joins NBC’s Hannibal in Pivotal Role

And because Blackbeard is British, Laurie would be able to speak in his native accent. (Timbers, consider yourself shivered.)

Crossbones would be the actor’s first major TV project since wrapping an eight-season run as the ornery titular doc on Fox’s House.

Comments (54)

• I don’t know… I mean a pirate show? I can’t see that working at all, but I might be wrong though.

Comment by Gerald – November 20, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AFAIK, it’s supposed to be a 10 ep long mini-series. So, if it works, they might make it a regular one. If it doesn’t, the story should be finished in 10 episodes. Not a bad idea, IMHO.

Comment by Kati (@timotey) – November 20, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know about the story being finished in 10 episodes. Remember Persons Unknown?

Comment by Steven – November 20, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Persons Unknown was a good show and it still had an alright ending. You just have to forget the last 4 mins of the finale.

Comment by John – November 20, 2012 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Persons Unknown was a series originally made for Fox, and then they decided not to air it. NBC picked it up, and flat out lied in their marketing if it.

Comment by Ck – November 21, 2012 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please God let this happen.

Comment by Alicia – November 20, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rachel Cuddy would approve of this choice ;) She and House both love Pirates after all “you bloody scally wag”.

Comment by raya – November 21, 2012 03:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let it have the spirit of BlackaddARRRRRGH!

Comment by TV Gord – November 20, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC doing a pirate show? Ok…..

Comment by Midori004 – November 20, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just filled the cup!

Comment by Tone LG – November 20, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pirate Drama…. x_________x
    If this happens, count. me. IN!

Comment by rachelle – November 20, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True that. A quality pirate drama is one of the things that television desperately needs. Not sure if it’ll work on network television, but between this, Black Sails on Starz, and Port Royal on FX if it ever gets the green light, maybe we’ll get one relatively soon.

Comment by Superhero – November 20, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hugh Laurie as a pirate might literally be the greatest thing ever. Oh my god! :)

Comment by Alyssa – November 20, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, this would be awesome! HL as a pirate? Let this happen!

Comment by V – November 20, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well at least it’s not another cop/medical/lawyer show.

Comment by Mary – November 20, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want this show to be good and to succeed. I hope people are willing to give a go to something which is a bit different.

Comment by ben – November 20, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the idea. I miss seeing Hugh in my tv.

Comment by Liz – November 20, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another character with a cane…love it!!!

Comment by Linderella – November 20, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I desperately want this to happen.

Comment by lifesanarsehole – November 20, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My television misses Hugh Laurie like crazy, so this is A+ news.

Comment by Heddy – November 20, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh these are wonderful news. Hugh laurie as a pirate is probably the best thing what could happen to NBC. He is a brilliant, funny man and i miss him very,very much on TV. Dear TVGods let it happen! ;)

Comment by Cindy – November 20, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PERFECT FOR HUGH LAURIE! Can’t wait!

Comment by Susan Green – November 20, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah!

Comment by majamababe – November 20, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TV is boring without him…so, if he accept & lead this sarcastic plot, it will be very interesting.

Comment by Jules – November 20, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. I’m intrigued.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 20, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So much for never doing TV again. Don’t know why actors ever make statements like that. Still, I would definitely be into checking this one out.

Comment by Nichole – November 20, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would YOU pass up Blackbeard’s role? I’m glad he’s coming back to tv.

Comment by John – November 20, 2012 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Laurie said he didn’t want to do a 22 episode a year American tv job again. He never said he didn’t want to do any tv at all. This is a 10 episode miniseries.

Comment by maggie – November 21, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll check it out if it means getting to see Hugh Laurie on my tv screen again.

Comment by Maria – November 20, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hugh Laurie as a pirate? I’m in. Not to mention I hear great things about Luther, and it sounds like a 10-episode miniseries. The Brits practically have those down to a science.

Comment by Leah – November 20, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Luther is an amazing show. Since this is written by the same guy, and starring Hugh Laurie, I’m expecting perfection. I hope I’m not disappointed.

Comment by maggie – November 21, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought he wasn’t going to do anymore acting? Or at least nothing on TV anyway.

Comment by robinepowell – November 20, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah, I’d prefer seeing him in a movie than a tv show

Comment by poulpo – November 20, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Hugh’s character has a wooden leg and a limp. Just for old time’s sake.

Comment by Paul – November 20, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t he going to retire after House wrapped? Did he ran out of $$ already?

Comment by John – November 20, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe he just likes working?

Comment by sandi – November 20, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think he’s ever going to run out of $$$. What’s wrong with doing what your heart wants!

Comment by John R – November 20, 2012 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be fair, he said in his music doc that he doesn’t like acting at all. Either he thinks he needs more $$$$, which is unlikely, or he’s restless.

Comment by D – November 22, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • when i saw him in concert in september, he said he ‘used to be an actor.’ i think he just likes doing different things – and why not? – he’s got enough talent for 10 people.

Comment by linda – November 30, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG. I need this. Now please.

Comment by Michelle – November 20, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t even care that this sounds ridiculous, but get me some Hugh Laurie please!!! I was hoping he’d consider doing some TV comedies though…

Comment by Jess – November 20, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, what excellent news. I miss Hugh Laurie on my tv.

Comment by PaCenn – November 20, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hugh Laurie as a pirate sounds ridiculously awesome. I think I need this in my life NOW.

Comment by sandi – November 20, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HL back on my tv? PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE!

Comment by s_son – November 20, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, I was so hoping these ‘Hugh Laurie is quitting acting’ rumours would turn out to be BS. Glad I was right.

Comment by KarenK – November 20, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HL back in a tv show? not what he said several months ago, weird

Comment by poulpo – November 20, 2012 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s far too talented to quit acting! Hope this works out and we get to see Hugh back on our tv screens again! It could be a great mini-series! Kudos to NBC for taking another risk after Awake and Revolution!

Comment by John R – November 20, 2012 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! hated house and will never watch a show he is in!

Comment by leah – November 21, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s your loss. Hugh Laurie has done far more than House, and mostly comedy. He is pefect in “Jeeves and Wooster” as a sweet, but idiotic, millionaire.

Comment by maggie – November 21, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow can’t wait! But will be weird House than pirate!

Comment by Cuddy's lawyer – November 21, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would be a PERFECT role for Mr. Laurie. I hope it happens!

Comment by Gigi – November 22, 2012 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House was a bit of a pirate. Hugh Laurie should be magnificent as Blackbeard.

Comment by Kathryn Dreyer – November 25, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see Hugh Laurie as blackbeard!!

Comment by Corrie – January 16, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ummm, hugh laurie as swearingen? i’ll drink to that!

Comment by susu – January 25, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post