Smash Season 2 Trailer Raises the Curtain on New Faces, Foes, Setbacks and Hook-Ups

Smash Season 2 PromoAs promised, NBC — during this Monday night’s installment of The Voice — sneak-peeked a new promo for Season 2 of Smash.

Afterwards, a greatly extended version of the promo premiered on Yahoo!, and it delivers a deeper, more delicious dive into where things stand with familiar faces from Season 1 — Karen (played by Katharine McPhee) is riding high, Ivy (Megan Hilty) is about to get pushed out, Julia (Debra Messing) went off the deep end, Eileen (Anjelica Huston) is in a legal jam thanks to Patrick Thornhart — and well as introduces us to “two-time Tony winner Veronica Moore,” played with expected yet always impressive gusto by Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson, among other new players on the stage.

RELATED | Smash Exclusive: Your First Look at Season 2′s Star-Studded Poster

But enough from me; the video is auto-playing, so get to checking it out, then share your early impressions of the seemingly bigger (and less Ellis-y) Smash ahead (premiering Tuesday, Feb. 5).

Tags: ,

Comments (76)

• Words cannot express how excited I am for next year.

Comment by Stamanah – November 19, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m … concerned.

This does not look at all like the guilty pleasure I so adored last year. It looks like American Idol crashed into Degrassi High and this is the wreckage.

I was all for less Ellis, and much tighter scripting – the show needed both, desperately – but … this? Doesn’t fill me with anticipation. More like dread.

Prove me wrong, Safran. Please, God, let him prove me wrong.

Comment by Annie – November 20, 2012 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Especially since Evil Ellis is gone.

Comment by Meg – November 20, 2012 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited. NBC better not screw this up somehow.
    Hope the ratings are high and the drama is fierce!

Comment by Yesssss – November 19, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just when I was ready to write them off, they bring in Jeremy Jordan & Daniel Sunjata, SMASH you’d better live up to how awesome this promo looks…because it looks really awesome…

Comment by Margaret – November 19, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That actually doesn’t look bad at all. But Safran has burned me once before…

Comment by Guy – November 19, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO READY FOR THIS!!! BRING ON THE BROADWAY AND THE DRAMA!!

Comment by K – November 19, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeez, already don’t like the new guy.

Comment by diane – November 19, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t like the way he sings, “Oh Broadway, here I come.. Broadway.” The way he’s changing notes with two of those words sound Country and it’s annoying.

Comment by Arie – November 19, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • sheesh, give Jeremy Jordan a shot, he’s a Tony nominee & an AMAZING singer. check him out as Jack Kelly on the cast recording of Newsies, he kills it.

Comment by Margaret – November 19, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve seen him perform live and he is absolutely amazing live. He was in Newsies and Bonnie & Clyde. He even received a Tony nomination for his performance in Newsies.

Comment by Rebecca – December 19, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, hate to be a downer but if Ivy is out, I’m out. She is so amazing that when the script gets bogged down and the singing gets questionable she breaks out and makes me come back for more. Come on Smash, there is no way Karen is good enough to star on Broadway.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – November 19, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just keep watching next season. There are photos online from season two filming which gives out major spoilers. You won’t be disappointed!

Comment by Arie – November 19, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for the hope. I really did enjoy the first season but I just couldn’t believe it when Karen got the part.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – November 19, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have to admit I had my doubts about watching season 2, since season 1 was extremely dissapointing, seeing how Megan Hilty got walked all over while NBC tried to shove Katharine McPhee down our throats… But the new poster in which Hilty and McPhee get equal billing, these photos you mention and this trailer in which Megan is featured a considerable amount of time have renewed my faith on the show. Guess they’ve listened to all the people and critics who praise Megan

Comment by carito – November 20, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so excited that KAREN is the STAR!!

Comment by marta – November 19, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Karen couldn’t really survive a show on that voice. Ivy is the real deal and has already proved it!

Comment by Jo Mamma – November 20, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’re sorry…
    This video is not available in your location.

Comment by Osmely – November 19, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Karen Karen Karen and more Karen? I’m shocked Megan Hilty even agreed to come back because I probably would have been all “lol no”

Comment by Amanda – November 19, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? Megan Hilty was at her absolute best when Ivy was sidelined.

Comment by ben – November 19, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yay, Karen, Karen, Karen, and more Karen!!

Comment by marta – November 19, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Karen is the lead actress… so of course a lot of the stuff is going to be about Karen.. that’s the main part of the show…..

Comment by Kate – November 20, 2012 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What? You’re forgetting that Smash is one of Megan’s 15 dreams. So she’ll come back even if she has a crappy storyline.

Comment by Karen – November 20, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even if season 1 had it’s up and downs, I still really enjoyed it, so I can’t wait for season 2!

Comment by Nessie – November 19, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s really smart focusing on Jennifer Hudson. She’s definitely a draw. Looks good :)

Comment by Mark – November 19, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i may start watching this season because of Jennifer Hudson

Comment by KCC – November 19, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they don’t focus on Jennifer Hudson. I have never been a fan of hers. I’m excited for season two, but not as much because of her. Bring on more Megan Hilty!

Comment by Piper – November 20, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree.
        Jennifer is a phenomenal singer but her acting is very wooden (IMO)!!!

Comment by dsm – November 20, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Available in my location =| *cries* Anyone have a non yahoo link?!?!?

Comment by Tedi – November 19, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anyway TVline editors can find a link where everyone can see it, including Canadians?

Comment by Yasin – November 19, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry as we can see even if these few minutes of clips, Katherine McPhee still can’t act and Megan Hilty is still more talented than her. My only hope is that Ivy finally gets a good part by the end of the season and shows up Princess Karen.

Comment by davey – November 19, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stop trying to turn fictional drama into real world drama.

Comment by JC – November 19, 2012 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • god bless and amen. i cannot stand katherine mcphees singing or acting. meg hilty is bombshell , marilyn and a true broadway star. its the empress with far too few clothes and pounds and vocal chords. i cant take it. thank you for writing

Comment by Lovejulia – January 14, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t know Jesse l Martin was hoping to be on it this season. Super excited.

Comment by Annabelle – November 19, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All this hate towards Katharine/Karen is ridiculous. If you can’t accept the fact that she’s the main character of this show and all you’re going to do is complain and whine because Megan/Ivy isn’t the main character or the star then stop watching. Simple as that. I don’t see Megan or the rest of the cast complaining about the show or the characters they’re portraying, so why should you? I just hate when all people do is complain.

Comment by Michele – November 19, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Welcome to.. the internet?

We’re allowed to have opinions. Some of us keep watching for characters like Ivy and the original songs and we shouldn’t have to apologize for that. Every character will have fans and haters (re: Ivy has both!) — it’s ridiculous to say we’re not allowed to think a certain way just because of how the show is being written.

And I’m sure people have indeed stopped watching SMASH for one reason or another; just not necessarily the commenters in this post.

Comment by Smith – November 19, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Apparently in your world comment boards and discussion forums are only for people who agree. Unfortunately for you this is not your world. Those of us who are upset are not “only complaining” we are complaining about Katherine McPhee. We are quite positive about Megan Hilty. So I suppose what you’re really upset about is people who complain about things that you like in the show. In the first season Karen and Ivy split screen time pretty close to even so she may be the star of the second season but in the first season she was part of an ensemble cast and when you have two women fighting for a part people are going to pick a side. It is just as acceptable for those of us who prefer an actual Broadway star to get the lead to say so as it is for people who want poppy wispy cardboard faced McPhee to say they love her and are happy she got the part. Everybody has that right.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – November 19, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This

Comment by Jen – November 20, 2012 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lauren, so true! My best friend and I LOVE the show, but after talking to him, he LOVES Katherine McPhee and I LOVE Megan Hilty and have downloaded all her songs. To each his own as long as it keeps SMASH on the air.

Comment by K2 – November 20, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes yes yes.

Comment by Jo Mamma – November 20, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So so so excited for this to come back!!!

Comment by Gabrielle – November 19, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love the show and excited to see Miss Hudson! and Katherine Mc is da bomb!!! cant wait

Comment by Red – November 19, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This looks incredible! Season 1 had it’s ups and downs, but this looks fantastic! I’ve very excited for this!

Comment by Jacob – November 19, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please please please please give us a Megan hilty -Jennifer Hudson duet please smash, please.
    Also a little character redemption for ivy would be great too

Comment by Anna – November 19, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes please! To all of the above!

Comment by Jo Mamma – November 20, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not gonna happen…

Comment by Karen – November 20, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone got a YouTube link for us non-Americans?

Comment by Emma – November 19, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • there is 1 on utube search S2 Smash

Comment by marta – November 19, 2012 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Yahoo link mentioned at the top allowed me to watch the video in Canada. Hope that helps.

Comment by Carol C – November 20, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Super excited. Lets get Karen and Derek in as many scenes as possible!

Comment by Naazneen – November 20, 2012 01:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not enough in that trailer which is a worry, lol

Comment by smithy – November 20, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow Sheryl Lee Ralph is awesome, another Broadway vet on Smash!

Comment by Mick – November 20, 2012 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like the tweaks SMASH made to the show may of worked. The promo is great , can’t wait for Feb !

Comment by Whatever – November 20, 2012 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrick Thornhart…LOL! Good one Matt!

Comment by Jessica – November 20, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Trailer is reallllllly good and excited about s2. Glad the drama seems more about Broadway. Happy no more dev and Ellis too, thank you showmakers! New guy with Karen is pretty tasty also haha. They’re like a hot CW couple! Also glad Karen has got a spine finally. She needed to be more feisty. J hud sounds great but she’s only in a few eps right. Trailer lies lol

Comment by dc – November 20, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE the trailer, so epic! Smash don’t let me down this time, lol! Some initial thoughts:

- 1st scene, Karen is wearing a scarf? #loveit

- glad Karen grew a pair and hasn’t just immediately forgiven ivy. Karen of s1 would have!

- New guy is nice to look at! Do you think Karen’s into him?

- NO Julia family drama, yesss!!

- why are there no potential cartwills scenes? Don’t let me down Smash! :(

- Ivy needs to cheer up a little bit.

- feel bad for the actors but no Ellis and Dev in that trailer was so welcome lol

- jhud sounds really great. Want the song at the end already!

- I still kinda want Karen and ivy to be friends ….. eventually!

- love the look of the bombshell marylin yellow dress number!!!

- I think Julia may have had a breakdown cos they took her scarves off her :(

- I’m glad it seems like Karen has a new crew to hang with this season. They gave her no friends last time lol

- Tom in that scene with Julia = <3

Comment by smithy – November 20, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jeremy Jordan, who plays Karen’s new guy, is a total star!! He’s an amazing singer. Funny that he’s married to a broadway actress who got her start on a reality show (Ashley Spencer from the NBC show that cast the leads in the broadway revival of Grease) and now his TV love interest got her start on a reality show! lol

Comment by Maggie – November 20, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kat really shines in this promo, as usual. She really is the star of the show! J-Hud sounds fantastic but i don’t see her being an asset to the show or story-lines.

Comment by Kirk – November 20, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katharine is the reason I started watching the show and she keeps me coming back! I’m glad to see her character, Karen, has finally grown a backbone and is putting Ivy in her place. I don’t care what they try to do now, it’s gonna be very difficult for me to even feel an ounce of pity for Ivy. She hit rock bottom because she deserved to, talent aside.

The new season looks fresh with some potential for great drama and storylines. Can’t wait to see where it goes!

Comment by Kevin – November 20, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay that was awesome! NBC knows how to make a good trailer!

JHud and Jeremy Jordan to add to Katharine McPhee. Thank you Smash <3

Comment by smashtastic – November 20, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks very promising. I might come back to the show.

Comment by tjj50 – November 20, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow this season looks like it’s going to be great. I can’t wait. JHud and Katharine McPhee are incredibly talented and they both really shine here. I would have liked to have seen more Debra Messing but what are you going to do? And all Megan Hilty does is mope. Ivy is too one dimensional. She needs to go. JHud should replace her.

Comment by jessica – November 20, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree about Ivy. That character..ugh. “Woe is me! The world is unfair!” Over and over again. So annoying. Too much of her in the trailer. I thought they had resolved the whole “Karen or Ivy?” thing last season. I do NOT want YET another season of “Maybe Ivy now? Maybe not?” I’ll catch the recaps.

Comment by Lydia – November 20, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did they cast Jeremy Jordan? Were Justin Guarini and Bo Bice unavailable?

Comment by RichieS – November 20, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmmmm, not a Justin fan, but Bo would have been interesting! New season looks good to me. Can’t wait !

Comment by JAO – November 24, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • uff i cant see the video because i’m in Italy!

Comment by Caygri – November 24, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KATHARINE MCPHEE CANNOT ACT TO SAVE HER EFFING LIFE… That scene where she’s telling Jeremy Jordan how good he is….literally painful.

Comment by TFMH – November 29, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How come Karen is with this new guy so soon? Noooo. BTW no chemistry whatsoever..
    We need Karen with Derek. I was so excited after the great S1 finale they were going to explore the Karen/Derek romantic angle! I am soo disappointed.
    Still hoping it will happen down the road! It’s one of tha main reasons I tune in.
    Jack Davenport is HOT and his chemistry with Kat is amazing. Pls don’t waste it! Plus I really love how the Cartwills story is evolving. They are meant to be!

Comment by Titina – November 29, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with this. The chemistry between Karen and Derek made the story line intriguing. I am disappointed that there is no indication that the writers will explore this angle. I do think Jennifer Hudson is a great addition. Megan Hilty is great but I probably wouldn’t be watching if it were not for Katherine McPhee. She is amazing; beautiful, talented and a fantastic voice! I don’t watch Smash (or anything else) on my television (which I have not turned on in months), and what I do watch (online) has to keep my interest or I just will not waste my time.

Comment by Terra – December 17, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To those who criticize acting skills: wow I didn’t realize America had so many official critics. It’s literally amazing. I would like to see you on tv. That’s what I thought.

Anyways on a better note, this season looks promising. I don’t have a favorite Kat/meg because I feel each portrayed their characters well in season 1. Ivy made me hate her character…but she made me feel something. That’s acting
    Kat while not as strong as meg was still good in her own rights. The script did not give her much to do with her character. I have hopes from these clips that she will develop more. And I also hope that meg still gets another shot at marylin, cause if not the show would not be interesting, right? She is phenomenal. Kat is amazing. Smash, you are keeping me waiting to long! Hurry up February!!! :)

Comment by Kyle – December 30, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this blog.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s difficult to get that “perfect balance”
    between user friendliness and visual appearance.
    I must say that you’ve done a superb job with
    this. In addition, the blog loads super quick for me on Chrome.
    Superb Blog!

Comment by Filma me Titra Shqip – March 22, 2014 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post