American Idol's New Season 12 Promos: Will Nicki Minaj Be Entertaining or Annoying?

nicki minaj idolI don’t care if incoming American Idol judges Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey are secretly designing voodoo dolls of one another using discarded weave tracks and DNA collected from the straws of their red Coca-Cola cups. As long as they provide some combination of honest feedback, actionable advice and spontaneous humor, then I suspect I’ll be just as obsessed with the show’s twelfth season as I was with its prior incarnations.

And that’s why I’m happy to report that Idol‘s two latest ad promos (embedded below) look rather promising. The first is a Minaj-centric affair set to her recent hit “Pound the Alarm.” As the cotton-candy-haired diva commands one contestant to “Snap, snap, work, work!” and tells another she likes him, just not his singing voice, the corresponding text declares, “Nicki Minaj is wild, original, honest. She’s bringing it all to American Idol.” Okay, so she might not have been my first choice for judge, but it seems like Nicki is engaged with the contestants and is attempting to do more than offer bland platitudes. Dare I say there are moments even Mimi looks amused?

RELATED | Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban Joining Mariah & Randy on Idol: What Do We Want From Them?

The second promo trumpets the addition of Carey, Minaj, and Keith Urban to the panel — making no mention of exiting judges Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler — then switches focus to what the show is really about: “New season of the show that turns unknowns into superstars,” says a voiceover while showing audition footage of Idol alumni Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Phillip Phillips, and Scotty McCreery juxtaposed with their post-show successes. Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about!

VIDEO | Reality Check: Awful Eliminations, Questionable Front-Runners Tarnish The X Factor, The Voice

Read More at: http://tvline.com/2012/11/18/reality-check-x-factor-nbc-voice-carly-rose-cassadee-pope/#utm_source=copypaste&utm_campaign=referral

American Idol returns January 16, 2013 (8/7c, Fox).

Will you be tuning in? What’s your take on the new promos? And most importantly, how are you feeling about Nicki Minaj as an Idol judge in the wake of these ads? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol news, interviews and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (23)

• The Nicki Minaj promo definitely made me more hopeful for her judging stint after seeing it. But we all know how skilled Idol’s editors are in making judges look good (see: Steven Tyler). But for the sake of Idol, I’m hoping she can bring some spark to the panel. Fingers crossed!

Comment by ktbanks – November 19, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It seemed a trace hopefully. But since the one judge who needed the boot more than any and who has been the most fake and scripted of all is the one they kept….
      At least JLo kept it real for the early part of her first season and a couple times her second. Randy has seemed like a total paid off puppet at this point for the entire last two seasons. So no, I don’t actually really think it will end up better in the end.

Comment by FreeHaley – November 19, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not be tuning in which I’ve done since season 1…Nicki Minaj is the reason I will not be watching

Comment by debbie – November 19, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WANT IT NOW. Get this X Factor junk off my TV. What’s wrong with me?

Comment by brandon – November 19, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was hoping to catch more than split-second footage of former idols who have had mega-success, but yes, these previews look somewhat promising.

Comment by WendyT – November 19, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ANNOYING. Entertaining only if you have the IQ of a gnat.

I won’t be watching.

Comment by jen – November 19, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really, really hope to be pleasantly surprised. I love Idol, did I say LOVE!!. Been watching since season 1, a bit of an obsession for me. I do not like Nicki Minaj. And I’m not talking talent, but more attitude and personality when I’ve seen her on talk shows/award shows. Let’s hope she brings something different here. I want the show to be more about the contestants and less about the judges, and with Nicki, can’t help but think the focus will continually be brought back to her. Hoping for the best!

Comment by Sherry (@fourrats) – November 19, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annoying.

Comment by Ram510 – November 19, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly you can’t tell how good the judges are until fully live shows when they have to form their critiques on the spot.

Comment by Amanda – November 19, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True. Steven really made that apparent.

Comment by Alienate – November 19, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But Steven didn’t have to say anything, you could tell from his reactions whilst the performances were going on.

Comment by ejones – November 19, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant stand the way she talks! She talks like a baby and down to people. she calls her fans little peole its wrong! Not sure how she even got this job. These people got to be stupid to take advice from someone who has been in the business for a second. I love mariah but i juust dont think i will be able to watch this year!

Comment by katrina s. – November 19, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My honest guess is that by the middle of the Idol season, you will find just the opposite. Niki will be the one you enjoy, and Mariah will be Brittney2. <– Zombie dull/dumb

Comment by Alienate – November 19, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • funny how britney is actually doing a good job as a mentor and at least she doens’t waffle during the live shows like demi

Comment by kevin – November 19, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We could broaden the question to this: Will Nicki, Mariah, and Randy be entertaining or annoying? Still rhetorical! Not enough info to include Urban…yet.

Comment by Portia – November 19, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nicki was good in the new Madagascar movie as the Zebra, so I have high hopes for her idol tenure.

da da da, da da da Afro Circus.

Comment by TheCircus – November 19, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If last night’s AMA’s are any indication, Nicki Minaj is only out for self-promotion. That, I can’t stomach. I think The Voice get’s my viewing time.

Comment by BigKate2 – November 19, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Voice and X-Factor have nothing on AI. They haven’t produced one star between them.

Comment by b – November 19, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not watching a show with Nicki Minaj as the judge. I find her extremely annoying. And I really have no interest in watching someone with no talent other than self-promotion judging a singing contest. I also find it unpleasant that this show has gone from focusing most of the attention on the contestants to focusing it on the judges. I tuned out after a few of the live shows last year when it became the Jennifer Lopez show.

Comment by millie – November 19, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll only be following it on here unless they limit the voting. i’ve had it with WGWG winning over better performers. Not to mention that I’m OK with Randy and Keith, but can’t stand Carey or Minaj.

Comment by Templar – November 19, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Nicki promo looked good! I’m getting all excited! Hoping not to be disappointed by some primo editing a la Britney though.

Comment by Ken – November 20, 2012 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMGGG I CANNOT Wait!!! the only reason ill be watching is Because of Nicki. She by the looks of it will give honest critics!!!!!! so the ppl will be able to work on their craft!!!!!!!!! lmao plus she is halarious.

Comment by Excited123 – November 20, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post