Smash Exclusive: First Look at Season 2′s Poster, Plus Scoop on the First TV Sneak Peek

NBC’s Smash may not be raising the curtain on Season 2 until Tuesday, Feb. 5 (with a two-hour bow), but you’re about to get a double sneak peek at what’s ahead.

RELATED | NBC’s Smash to Deliver a ‘More Consistent,’ ‘Edge of Your Seat’ Season 2

For starters, TVLine has an exclusive first look at the key art poster for the musical drama’s sophomore run, which features faces both familiar and fresh. Check it out:

From left to right: Anjelica Huston (as Eileen), Andy Mientus (from Broadway’s Carrie, joining Smash as wannabe writer Kyle), Jeremy Jordan (Tony-nominated star of Newsies, here playing Brooklyn-born singer/Kyle’s best friend Jimmy), Katharine McPhee (Karen), Jack Davenport (Derek), Leslie Odom, Jr. (now a series regular as Sam), Megan Hilty (Ivy), Krysta Rodriguez (Broadway’s The Addams Family, as Karen’s spunky new roommate Ana), Christian Borle and Debra Messing (Tom and Julia) and Jennifer Hudson (as Veronica, a Tony-winning threat to Karen and Ivy, hence the fierce side eye).

TVLine can also exclusively report that the first extended sneak peek of Smash Season 2 will premiere during this Monday’s episode of The Voice, which features (natch) Jennifer Hudson as a guest mentor.

Also due to pop up during Smash‘s second season are legendary entertainer Liza Minnelli (appearing as herself), Sean Hayes (reuniting with Will & Grace costar Debra Messing as a TV/film vet making his Broadway debut), Law & Order‘s Jesse L. Martin and Rescue Me‘s Daniel Sunjata (as possible romantic interests for Julia), and Nikki Blonsky (Hairspray). Not returning for Season 2, meanwhile, are Jaime Cepero (the ever-lurking Ellis), Raza Jaffrey (Dev), Brian D’Arcy James (Frank) and Will Chase (Michael).

Are you ready to get Smash‘d again? Which casting changes have you most excited?

Tags: ,

Comments (69)

• Can’t wait. That poster looks awesome. Tuesday night is a good night for this show if you ask me. I really can’t wait to see the direction they take in season 2. So many great guest stars too.

Comment by greysfan – November 16, 2012 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They cut all the right actors.

Comment by zacky – November 16, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sadly, I agree. Brian D’Arcy James is AWESOME, but was tragically underused in a completely dead-end role.

Comment by meem – November 16, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wish they’d given him one proper song to sing in the season 2 premiere. Just saw him in Giant at The Public and he (along with everyone in that cast) sounded marvelous.

Comment by mpenn – November 17, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except Sam…he’s found his way onto the poster. Sam was SUCH a bore. And a cliche too boot. “I’m gay but I like football!” “WHAT!? Are you a magical creature of some sort?”

Comment by Josh – November 16, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sam is great!

Comment by ben – November 16, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree Sam is a bore I am surprised he is returning this season other than Sam I have no complaints about the changes.

Comment by LePrimm (@LePrimm) – November 18, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They did, although I can’t help but wish they hadn’t created the situation which necessitated the Cur of Brian D’Arcy James.

Comment by ben – November 16, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But they didn’t cut Julia’s son!! He could go live with his dad, couldn’t he?

Comment by susela – November 17, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope they send the kid to ‘boarding school’ or something.

Comment by mpenn – November 17, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If Ivy has learned to stop trying to sleep her way to the top. Derek bedding others may have sent little miss no standards a lesson.

Comment by LePrimm (@LePrimm) – November 18, 2012 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see the new changes to the show. I’m really hoping they can pull it off. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that not many viewers will return to this show. But who knows, maybe they’ll get new viewers.

Comment by Ann – November 16, 2012 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! Cannot wait for Smash! Finally some new promo..
    I am so excited to see what will happen between Karen & Derek! Their chemistry is off the charts! I want to continue to see their story evolve.

I agree that Tuesday nights are a great night for this show..So pumped!

Comment by Titina – November 16, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wait til you see the newest cast member Jeremy Jordan

Comment by Susan Long – November 17, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The poster looks great! Now if the show is that good we may have a winner on our hands (or should I say “Smash”?).

Comment by dan – November 16, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow Kat McPhee looks GORGEOUS! Can’t wait for her to grace my TV screen again!

Comment by Kirk – November 16, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited about season 2!

I don’t like that Sam is a series regular now. I didn’t care for him in season 1. Now he will take up even more screen time that could go to other characters.

Comment by P – November 16, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Disliked him. Was such a bore. The lawyer gay guy was such a better love interest.

Comment by Mark – November 16, 2012 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so excited for Smash!!!! great poster. can’t wait to see Kat on my TV every week, she’s amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by marta – November 16, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katharine McPhee looks spectacular and her singing and acting are suburb!

Comment by Claudio – November 16, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The poster looks fantastic!! I like that the series looks like it’s going to take a bit of a darker turn. Having seen Jeremy and krysta in newsies and the original cast of spring awakening, I think they’ll be great additions to the cast. With krysta now on smash, Jon groff on Boss, lea Michele on glee, John Gallagher jr on the newsroom & skylar Astin in pitch perfect, the original cast of spring awakening is killing it right now!

Comment by Margaret – November 16, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A darker turn? Please no.

Comment by ben – November 16, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for Season 2 of SMASH!!! Can’t wait for Monday night’s promo and can’t wait for February 5th!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – November 16, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please help it so that Frank got custody of the kid, and moved him far, far away.

Comment by dan – November 16, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a terrible show.

Comment by Walkie – November 16, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really glad that Leslie Odom, Jr. (Sam) has been bumped to series regular status. Odom’s a good actor and his character is a refreshing take on the gay black man role. Loved his interaction with his family and the way he grounds Christian Borle’s Tom.

Comment by josephrileyland – November 16, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very curious to if Ellis/Dev/Frank/Michael will film ANY scenes. I don’t mind never seeing Ellis/Michael again but it will be weird to never see Dev/Frank again without a conclusion of their storylines from S1.

Comment by Steve – November 16, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree. I mean it was clear it was ending for their relationships but unless there’s a time jump (why would there be?) it doesn’t make sense that they won’t appear at all.

Comment by kate – November 16, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isnt julia supposed to be pregnate?!? Whats gonna happen if her husband and her baby daddy ain there?

Comment by gabe – November 16, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Could it be it was only a virus??? HAHAH

Comment by LePrimm (@LePrimm) – November 18, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nah, the vomiting was all because of those fish and chips her son gave her…Lord knows where he got those from.

Comment by LSnap – November 18, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Read somewhere that Frank’s coming back for one episode. Don’t know about the others though…

Comment by LSnap – November 18, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WANT MICHAEL BACK. SO BADLY

Comment by Line – November 16, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I’m a HUGE fan of Will Chase. I loved him in Rent.

Comment by Laura – November 27, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for the new season. Can’t wait. I am slightly bummed that Will Chase (Michael) won’t be back. I dig him.

Comment by Angela Martin – November 16, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The second season looks promising. I’m excited with the new roster except for the character of Sam whom I have no affinity at all.

Comment by Bombshell – November 16, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Anjelica Huston. They photoshopped her face into a cartoon version of herself. Everyone else looks somewhat like themselves but they hacked that legend to bits.

Comment by Jay – November 16, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait!!! They got rid of all the useless characters and the new additions seems very promising. Kat McPhee looks gorgeous. Very excited for the new season!!

Comment by Jen – November 16, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That poster is so Gossip Girl season 1!!! Hahaha.

Comment by Fabe – November 16, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahaha it totally is!! not that that’s a bad thing :) and it makes sense considering the new SMASH showrunner used to run GG.

Comment by Maggie – November 16, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love all the people they cut. How perfect. Also, Krysta Rodriguez EEEEEEEE! I adooored her in TAF.

Comment by Mellie – November 16, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to Angelica Huston’s love interest? He is hot!!!

Comment by DD – November 16, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited to see Sean Hayes this season!

Comment by Julia – November 16, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to the return of this show. Hopefully the change in some characters will put the show where it should have been all first season.

Side note regarding Jesse L. Martin…why not mention ‘Rent’ when mentioning him coming on this show, since this show is about musical theater?

Comment by Mel – November 16, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am SO HAPPY that Ellis is GONE! He was a cheap and easy way to push the plot. Always lurking around jut the right corner to tell just the right person the wrong thing. I’m interested to see how they wrap up the Frank/Julia storyline. I hope it’s awesome!

Comment by Abby – November 16, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PS: The recent revival of “Carrie” was not on Broadway; it was off-Broadway.

Comment by Rory – November 16, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SERIOUSLY? They’re gettting ride of the husband?? And Ellis? That is so wrong. I don’t understand why breaking up marriages is the new thing. It’s heartbreaking.

Comment by Marie – November 16, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sean Hayes – YEAH! Jennifer Hudson – BOO. So sick of that chick!

Comment by MLO – November 16, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! Not many people agree with me about her.

Comment by Laura – November 27, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure about the addition of Jennifer Hudson yet. Used to be a huge fan but not sure how she will fit with Smash.

Comment by Megyn – November 16, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer Hudson only appears in the first three episodes….

Comment by john – November 16, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope that’s true!

Comment by Laura – November 27, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am happy with season 2 cast, with one exception – I’ll miss Frank. He is/was my personaal favorite. I loved it when he sang to Julia.

Comment by rosinajean – November 27, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a weird and unappealing poster design, but I’m excited for the new season. Can’t wait to see Jennifer Hudson!

Comment by Sarah – November 16, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Wesley Taylor ???? !!!!!

Comment by RichardSF – November 16, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Sam is great, he gives stability in a crazy up/down world. I hope Angela Huston’s new love is still around,not only is he dreamie but her character needs him. I’m waiting patiently to see what, if anything, developes between Karen and Derick. The end of season one was steamie! Sorry to see Frank leave-I loved it when he sang to Julia, but for sure Julia is pg and he couldn’t handle that. Leo should stay with his mom. Ivy should have a good part in season 2. she is a great actress and singer. I’m happy Karen won the part, but hope Ivy and Karen become friends. OH! I am having a hard time waiting for February 5th.

Comment by rosinajean – November 16, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ready now. Poster awesome. Can I get one? Seriously!!!!!! Ready to hear Kat.

Comment by Brenda – November 16, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the show, however, I’ll miss Will Chase. I can only hope they find a way to get rid of McFee – she can’t act to save her life & I can’t stand her part! However, hapy to see Anjelica Huston & M.H., plus, J. Hudson!

Comment by sean – November 16, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Not a single scarf in sight…lol. Love this show.

Comment by Linds – November 16, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fell in love with Will Chase in season 1…bummed that he won’t be back. However, love all the new additions and can’t wait for season 2. Jennifer, Liza, Sean….bring them on!

Comment by ladydi2464@comcast.net – November 16, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Can’t wait for the show to return!

Comment by Naazneen – November 16, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can Jennifer Hudson be a threat to Karen and Ivy?? Is she gonna try to play Marilyn or something??

Comment by tomzadi – November 16, 2012 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoyed this show last season. Its glee for adults. Not sure if Jennifer Hudson is a series regular or guest star? They will certainly need to pick her songs as she will blow everyone off the stage with her superior vocals.

Comment by Melody Baker (@evangml) – November 19, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post