Exclusive

Smash Exclusive: First Look at Season 2's Poster, Plus Scoop on the First TV Sneak Peek

NBC’s Smash may not be raising the curtain on Season 2 until Tuesday, Feb. 5 (with a two-hour bow), but you’re about to get a double sneak peek at what’s ahead.

RELATED | NBC’s Smash to Deliver a ‘More Consistent,’ ‘Edge of Your Seat’ Season 2

For starters, TVLine has an exclusive first look at the key art poster for the musical drama’s sophomore run, which features faces both familiar and fresh. Check it out:

From left to right: Anjelica Huston (as Eileen), Andy Mientus (from Broadway’s Carrie, joining Smash as wannabe writer Kyle), Jeremy Jordan (Tony-nominated star of Newsies, here playing Brooklyn-born singer/Kyle’s best friend Jimmy), Katharine McPhee (Karen), Jack Davenport (Derek), Leslie Odom, Jr. (now a series regular as Sam), Megan Hilty (Ivy), Krysta Rodriguez (Broadway’s The Addams Family, as Karen’s spunky new roommate Ana), Christian Borle and Debra Messing (Tom and Julia) and Jennifer Hudson (as Veronica, a Tony-winning threat to Karen and Ivy, hence the fierce side eye).

TVLine can also exclusively report that the first extended sneak peek of Smash Season 2 will premiere during this Monday’s episode of The Voice, which features (natch) Jennifer Hudson as a guest mentor.

Also due to pop up during Smash‘s second season are legendary entertainer Liza Minnelli (appearing as herself), Sean Hayes (reuniting with Will & Grace costar Debra Messing as a TV/film vet making his Broadway debut), Law & Order‘s Jesse L. Martin and Rescue Me‘s Daniel Sunjata (as possible romantic interests for Julia), and Nikki Blonsky (Hairspray). Not returning for Season 2, meanwhile, are Jaime Cepero (the ever-lurking Ellis), Raza Jaffrey (Dev), Brian D’Arcy James (Frank) and Will Chase (Michael).

Are you ready to get Smash‘d again? Which casting changes have you most excited?

1. greysfan says:

Can’t wait. That poster looks awesome. Tuesday night is a good night for this show if you ask me. I really can’t wait to see the direction they take in season 2. So many great guest stars too.

2. Ann says:

I can’t wait to see the new changes to the show. I’m really hoping they can pull it off. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that not many viewers will return to this show. But who knows, maybe they’ll get new viewers.

3. Titina says:

YAY! Cannot wait for Smash! Finally some new promo..
    I am so excited to see what will happen between Karen & Derek! Their chemistry is off the charts! I want to continue to see their story evolve.

I agree that Tuesday nights are a great night for this show..So pumped!

4. dan says:

The poster looks great! Now if the show is that good we may have a winner on our hands (or should I say “Smash”?).

5. Kirk says:

Wow Kat McPhee looks GORGEOUS! Can’t wait for her to grace my TV screen again!

6. P says:

I’m excited about season 2!

I don’t like that Sam is a series regular now. I didn’t care for him in season 1. Now he will take up even more screen time that could go to other characters.

7. marta says:

so excited for Smash!!!! great poster. can’t wait to see Kat on my TV every week, she’s amazing!!!!!!!!!!

8. Claudio says:

Katharine McPhee looks spectacular and her singing and acting are suburb!

9. Margaret says:

The poster looks fantastic!! I like that the series looks like it’s going to take a bit of a darker turn. Having seen Jeremy and krysta in newsies and the original cast of spring awakening, I think they’ll be great additions to the cast. With krysta now on smash, Jon groff on Boss, lea Michele on glee, John Gallagher jr on the newsroom & skylar Astin in pitch perfect, the original cast of spring awakening is killing it right now!

10. Eric7740 says:

Can’t wait for Season 2 of SMASH!!! Can’t wait for Monday night’s promo and can’t wait for February 5th!!!

11. dan says:

Please help it so that Frank got custody of the kid, and moved him far, far away.

12. Walkie says:

What a terrible show.

13. Really glad that Leslie Odom, Jr. (Sam) has been bumped to series regular status. Odom’s a good actor and his character is a refreshing take on the gay black man role. Loved his interaction with his family and the way he grounds Christian Borle’s Tom.

14. Steve says:

I’m very curious to if Ellis/Dev/Frank/Michael will film ANY scenes. I don’t mind never seeing Ellis/Michael again but it will be weird to never see Dev/Frank again without a conclusion of their storylines from S1.

15. Line says:

I WANT MICHAEL BACK. SO BADLY

16. So excited for the new season. Can’t wait. I am slightly bummed that Will Chase (Michael) won’t be back. I dig him.

17. Bombshell says:

The second season looks promising. I’m excited with the new roster except for the character of Sam whom I have no affinity at all.

18. Jay says:

Poor Anjelica Huston. They photoshopped her face into a cartoon version of herself. Everyone else looks somewhat like themselves but they hacked that legend to bits.

19. Jen says:

Can’t wait!!! They got rid of all the useless characters and the new additions seems very promising. Kat McPhee looks gorgeous. Very excited for the new season!!

20. Fabe says:

That poster is so Gossip Girl season 1!!! Hahaha.

• Maggie says:

hahaha it totally is!! not that that’s a bad thing :) and it makes sense considering the new SMASH showrunner used to run GG.

21. Mellie says:

Love all the people they cut. How perfect. Also, Krysta Rodriguez EEEEEEEE! I adooored her in TAF.

22. DD says:

What happened to Angelica Huston’s love interest? He is hot!!!

23. Julia says:

So excited to see Sean Hayes this season!

24. Mel says:

I’m looking forward to the return of this show. Hopefully the change in some characters will put the show where it should have been all first season.

Side note regarding Jesse L. Martin…why not mention ‘Rent’ when mentioning him coming on this show, since this show is about musical theater?

25. Abby says:

I am SO HAPPY that Ellis is GONE! He was a cheap and easy way to push the plot. Always lurking around jut the right corner to tell just the right person the wrong thing. I’m interested to see how they wrap up the Frank/Julia storyline. I hope it’s awesome!

26. Rory says:

PS: The recent revival of “Carrie” was not on Broadway; it was off-Broadway.

27. Marie says:

SERIOUSLY? They’re gettting ride of the husband?? And Ellis? That is so wrong. I don’t understand why breaking up marriages is the new thing. It’s heartbreaking.

28. MLO says:

Sean Hayes – YEAH! Jennifer Hudson – BOO. So sick of that chick!

29. Megyn says:

Not sure about the addition of Jennifer Hudson yet. Used to be a huge fan but not sure how she will fit with Smash.

30. john says:

Jennifer Hudson only appears in the first three episodes….

31. Sarah says:

This is a weird and unappealing poster design, but I’m excited for the new season. Can’t wait to see Jennifer Hudson!

32. RichardSF says:

What about Wesley Taylor ???? !!!!!

33. rosinajean says:

I think Sam is great, he gives stability in a crazy up/down world. I hope Angela Huston’s new love is still around,not only is he dreamie but her character needs him. I’m waiting patiently to see what, if anything, developes between Karen and Derick. The end of season one was steamie! Sorry to see Frank leave-I loved it when he sang to Julia, but for sure Julia is pg and he couldn’t handle that. Leo should stay with his mom. Ivy should have a good part in season 2. she is a great actress and singer. I’m happy Karen won the part, but hope Ivy and Karen become friends. OH! I am having a hard time waiting for February 5th.

34. Brenda says:

Ready now. Poster awesome. Can I get one? Seriously!!!!!! Ready to hear Kat.

35. sean says:

I like the show, however, I’ll miss Will Chase. I can only hope they find a way to get rid of McFee – she can’t act to save her life & I can’t stand her part! However, hapy to see Anjelica Huston & M.H., plus, J. Hudson!

36. Linds says:

Wow. Not a single scarf in sight…lol. Love this show.

37. ladydi2464@comcast.net says:

I fell in love with Will Chase in season 1…bummed that he won’t be back. However, love all the new additions and can’t wait for season 2. Jennifer, Liza, Sean….bring them on!

38. Naazneen says:

Yay! Can’t wait for the show to return!

39. tomzadi says:

How can Jennifer Hudson be a threat to Karen and Ivy?? Is she gonna try to play Marilyn or something??

40. Enjoyed this show last season. Its glee for adults. Not sure if Jennifer Hudson is a series regular or guest star? They will certainly need to pick her songs as she will blow everyone off the stage with her superior vocals.